UFO mystery solved (UK)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2005
      UFO mystery solved

      http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/content/essex/recorder/news/story.aspx?brand=RECOnline&category=newsRomford&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsromford&itemid=WeED16%20Sep%202005%2015%3A05%3A12%3A460

      THE Recorder can now shed light on the mystery UFOs seen in the sky last
      week - they were sky lanterns!!

      Reports flooded into our office of lots of orange, unidentified flying
      objects after the Smalley family saw the mysterious lights floating over
      their home in Acacia Avenue, Elm Park, at 10pm on Monday, August 29.

      And it now seems likely that the mystery lights are not hi-tech visitors
      from outerspace but an ancient kind of party popper imported by Grant
      Barry for his six-month-old business, Sky Lanterns.

      The 26-year-old from Stapleford Abbotts, ships over the floating lanterns
      from Asia and has let them off at around 30 weddings and parties.

      Green

      He said: "I'm afraid to say these aren't little green men flying around.
      It's most likely me letting off the lanterns in my garden or some of our
      recent parties.

      "The lanterns are like little hot air balloons. You set fire to the wick
      and let them float up into the air. They're made from mulberry paper
      wrapped around bamboo frames."

      Grant came across the sky lanterns while travelling around Asia where they
      are released during festivals.

      They vary in size from titchy 2ft to a massive 8ft tall. Grant charges
      £999 for a display of 100 sky lanterns.

      He said: "I was at a festival on a beach in Indonesia when suddenly they
      let off thousands of sky lanterns. It was breathtaking. I'd never seen
      anything like them so decided to bring them to England."

      Janet Smalley, 53, whose family were the first to contact the Recorder
      about the sightings, said: "My son will be disappointed. I think he was
      hoping they were real UFOs."

      Keith Blackwell, 48, Gorseway, reported seeing mystery lights. He said: "I
      saw an indistinct orange light to the south east at about 40 degrees high.
      It was totally stationary in the sky."

      His wife Kate said: "It certainly did not look like a lantern. It was
      hovering in the sky then came shooting towards us. It then shot back to
      its original position. It really spooked me."

      Pat Fitzpatrick of Hornchurch added: "We were at a barbecue in Grenfell
      Avenue on Bank Holiday Monday and late in the evening a large orange light
      flew overhead, stopped for about 30 seconds and then went up higher and
      higher until it disappeared."

      Liz Gamby, 51, from Douglas Road, Hornchurch, also witnessed the light
      display. She said: "I was looking up at the stars with my son Thomas, 23,
      when we saw an orange light in the sky. It was moving along, getting
      higher and higher. We were all stumped."

      Baffled

      Tony Rutter from Coltsfoot Path, Harold Hill, also saw them: "There were
      about seven lights, a group of five and two singles. We were just as
      baffled as the Smalley family."

      Grant said that he had been releasing the lanterns at a wedding on August
      27 and a pool party on August 28. He added that he often experiments with
      the lanterns in his back garden, most Friday and Saturday nights - when
      most of the sightings have been made.

      John Murphy,48, of Channing Close, Hornchurch, saw them on August 6 at
      around 10pm as he drove on the A12 between Colchester and Chelmsford and
      said motorists were pulling over to look at them..

      Stuart Kennedy from Hornchurch reported seeing more lights on Friday
      September 9.

      Copyright © 2005 Archant Regional. All rights reserved.
    • John Hayes
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2005
        At 15:29 17/09/2005 +0200, Frits Westra wrote:

        >UFO mystery solved

        http://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/content/essex/recorder/news/story.aspx?bran
        d=RECOnline&category=newsRomford&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newsromford&
        itemid=WeED16%20Sep%202005%2015%3A05%3A12%3A460

        >THE Recorder can now shed light on the mystery UFOs seen in the sky last
        >week - they were sky lanterns!!

        >Reports flooded into our office of lots of orange, unidentified flying
        >objects after the Smalley family saw the mysterious lights floating over
        >their home in Acacia Avenue, Elm Park, at 10pm on Monday, August 29.

        >And it now seems likely that the mystery lights are not hi-tech visitors
        >from outerspace but an ancient kind of party popper imported by Grant
        >Barry for his six-month-old business, Sky Lanterns.

        [SNIP]

        Hello Frits/List,

        I can confirm that the light seen on Hornchurch, Essex on September 12
        was due to the lanterns.

        After initially rejecting the claim in the Romford Recorder that the
        light(s) seen on August 29th in Romford were sky lanterns, the witness to
        the Hornchurch sighting above now agrees that this is what he saw.

        From http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/uk/050912.shtml :

        Sorry again for emailing you, but it turns out romford recorder was right.
        After a bit of Googling for images, i found a few images that remind me of
        the event. Although i still find it hard to believe that a simple sky
        lantern can fly around in circles, fly in different directions...etc on a
        windless night.

        anyway these image is almost EXACTLY what i saw:

        http://static.flickr.com/5/8530284_603fcc424c_m.jpg
        http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40767000/jpg/_40767481_sanitwong.jpg
        http://www.punahou.edu/js/gradek/f/thailink/floatinglanternsb.JPG

        My thanks to the witness for writing to confirm that what he saw were lanterns.

        Best wishes,

        John Hayes

        John@...

        UFOINFO:- http://www.ufoinfo.com

        Home to UFO Roundup, Encounters With Aliens On This Day,
        AUFORN Australian UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI
        Magazine plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports
        (Albert Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK and more...