UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 37

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      Volume 10, Number 37
      September 14, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      IN ESSEX, UK

      On Sunday, September 4, 2005, at 8:15 p.m., Russell
      Careford reported, "I was driving on Upper Rainham Road"
      in Roneo Corner, Romford, Essex, UK "when almost directly
      above me I could see an object that made me say to the
      others, 'What the heck is that?'"
      "It looked like something that was flashing
      constantly and travelling quite quickly but nowhere fast
      enough to be a meteor. But (also) seemingly too fast for
      a hot-air balloon. That's if anyone would be daft enough
      to fly a balloon in pitch-black night. As I chased it
      down to Rush Green, the thing gained altitude at an
      alarming rate until after we stopped for a clearer view.
      We saw it until it got too high for us to see. The object
      departed to the west."
      Russell described the UFO as "orange fire with a
      particular shape, constant burning, unlike the puffing of
      extra flame you will get from a hot-air balloon. Slowly
      getting smaller as it got higher. Appeared star-like when
      we lost sight of it."
      A week later, on Sunday, September 11, 2005, Robert
      Sloan was in Loughton, Essex at 10 p.m. when he spotted
      something unusual in the sky.
      "After a call from a friend talking about strange
      lights at 9:30," Robert reported, "I went into my garden
      (block of flats, ground floor garden facing east--R.S.) to
      look and saw a triangular formation of reddish-orange
      lights that were quite fast. I thought they were strange,
      but the weather was cloudy with clear patches, and there
      was a low reddish cloud as you often get in the evening."
      "I assumed these were bright stars and the cloud was
      somehow colouring them red. It was a bit weird, however,
      and I noticed that none of the stars that I could see
      through the gaps in the clouds were similarly coloured."
      I grabbed a small digital camera, and I was ready to
      film the sky when they disappeared. But for 15 seconds or
      so, it didn't seem it was likely I'd see that part of the
      sky closed again. Pretty much the clouds to my front and
      right (from northeast to east-southeast--R.S.) were low
      orange cloud, and to my left and overhead was patchy blue
      "There wasn't anything I could do once the clouds
      covered the lights, and I was about to give up and was
      heading inside when suddenly, from behind where I had been
      looking, they reappeared. Very much lower and very
      bright. They were also in front of the low orange cloud
      and moving rapidly across the sky."
      "I switched on my camera and started filming, and I
      was suddenly aware that I was going to witness this and no
      one else might see it. I then shouted out loud, 'Everyone
      in the Flats! Look out your window into the sky! Look at
      the lights!'"
      "As you can imagine, I was delighted when five or six
      heads popped out of the windows, and they too were
      startled by the lights."
      "As we all watched, the orange orb-like lights
      proceeded to fly into a position exactly where their star-
      like lights had first appeared. (to the southeast at about
      60 degrees above the horizon--R.S.) I had to film by hope
      alone, aiming and pointing, as I could see only a black
      screen on my camera's LCD screen, but they were so bright
      and so orange-yellow I knew something would show up."
      "There was absolutely no sound so far as I could
      hear, and everyone was agreeing, and we were trying to
      think of an explanation for these mysterious lights. And
      no one could come up with anything they could relate these
      lights to."
      "I have the film I shot on digital JPG. format at
      about 4.3 megacycles in size lasting some three to four
      minutes, with around two of the minutes showing the three
      lights together. It is not very clear, however, as
      digital has a low resolution. It is still a cool film,
      though, and better in fact than the one I saw of the
      Phoenix, Arizona sightings" of 1997. (Email Form Reports)

      On Thursday, September 8, 2005, "a crowd of people in
      the village of Ban Sop Huai Hai in Chiang Mai province" in
      northern Thailand "saw a small-statured alien in the rice
      paddies at the edge of the village. The alien was there
      for an hour, and most of the people saw him. The entity
      was first seen on this rice farm by four or five of the
      workers." The word then spread, and more villagers came
      to see him.
      The crowd then saw a jahn binh (Thai for flying
      saucer--J.T.) high in the sky above the rice farm. "Then
      the alien floated up and disappeared in the air. The
      phantasm appeared to levitate into the sky."
      Ban Sop Huai Hai is in northwestern Thailand, about
      150 kilometers (90 miles) from Chiang Mai, the provincial
      capital, and about 500 kilometers (300 miles) northwest of
      Bangkok, the national capital. (Many thanks to Ruxo Zheng
      and Terry W. Colvin for this news report.)

      On Sunday, September 4, 2005, at 9 p.m., Mehmet
      Akikvilyet reported, "A UFO flew over the city of Mersin
      in southern Turkey. We were on the west side of the city,
      near the coastal area. We were looking at the port
      facilities when suddenly the UFO appeared. We watched it
      closely for five minutes."
      "The mysterious object had flashing blue and green
      lights. It stopped and hovered over the ships at anchor
      in the port. At first we thought it might have been a
      ship itself, but it wasn't. The other ships were below
      the flashing lights."
      "Everyone who saw the UFO was shocked. Some of them
      took photographs. Then a plane appeared at the scene, and
      the UFO switched off its lights. When it reappeared, only
      one red light was flashing on it, and then it disappeared
      in the sky. The whole time was about ten minutes. It was
      a real experience, not a daydream."
      "The UFO departed to the northwest," over the Toros
      Daglari mountains.
      Mersin is a port city on the Mediterranean Sea,
      located about 225 kilometers (135 miles) southeast of
      Ankara, the capital of Turkey. (Email Form Report)

      On Tuesday, August 30, 2005, at 7:30 p.m., the
      witness reported, "A large jetliner had just landed at the
      airport in Santa Rosa, the capital of La Pampa province in
      Argentina. I am a security worker at the airport. The
      jet was taxiing towards the terminal when a fellow worker
      said, 'Look at the lights up there in the sky. How
      "At first I thought it was a joke. But upon looking,
      I saw a light four to five times larger than a star or
      planet towards the northwest. What most attracted my
      attention was that it was beautiful and it had the
      characteristic glow of a star and a wake (trail--J.T.)
      that was white but tended more towards orange at the rear.
      It took off (southeast) as though headed for Bahia
      An Argentinian airline pilot also reported, "This one
      caught my attention because it was my understanding that
      it was flying very high. The object was flying three
      times faster than my plane, at least."
      Santa Rosa is "a point of reference" in Argentina's
      air grid, and pilots check in with the tower when they
      register the beacon at Santa Rosa airport.
      According to ufologist Scott Corrales, "The UFO was
      also seen south of Santa Rosa" in Coronel Eugenio del
      Busto, Jacinto Aruz and Guatrache, "communities in the
      southeastern corner of La Pampa province." (Muchas
      gracias a Scott Corrales y Salvatore Valentin Carta para
      estas noticias.)

      On Saturday, September 3, 2005, at 8 p.m.,
      eyewitnesses Steve and Mary were at their home in Katy,
      Texas (population 11,775) when they spotted a strange
      light in the sky.
      "We first saw it approaching from the north," they
      reported, "At first we thought we were sighting the North
      Star (Polaris--J.T.). It was a cloudy night, and the sky
      was affected by the fires in the Gulf area (resulting from
      Hurricane Katrina--J.T.) The object was a dull orange.
      An orange point of light--much as if Mars was flying close
      by. Looked about planetary size from our point of view.
      The orange object moved quite quickly to the west and
      Katy is on Interstate Highway 10 about 25 miles (40
      kilometers) west of Houston. (Email Form Report)

      On Wednesday, September 7, 2005, at 12:15 a.m.,
      Charles Castle reported, "Dad was outside smoking," at
      their home in Minnie, Kentucky "and he hollered at me to
      come look. The object was triangular-shaped and seemed to
      have red, white and maybe yellowish lights along its V-
      shape. It was moving slowly and lower than any airplane."
      "And the sound it made was nothing like any airplane.
      It was a very low humming noise. We watched as it went
      around Slone Mountain" and disappeared. (Email Form

      On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, and Friday, September
      9, 2005, a UFO with flashing red, white and blue lights
      was sighted over Exeter, one of New Hampshire's most
      notorious UFO hotspots.
      Eyewitness Dan Cook reported, "On both nights I saw
      stationary red, white and blue lights oscillating between
      the cloud layers in Exeter (population 9,759). The object
      remained fairly stationary, making small minute circles in
      the same spot on both nights."
      "I called a friend who lives 75 miles (120
      kilometers) to the north," near Berlin, N.H., "and they
      were able to describe what we were seeing, as we did not
      tell them. They saw it in their southern sky. It was a
      circular object, as high as a commercial plane would fly
      (30,000 feet or 9,000 meters--J.T.)."
      Exeter was the site of a famous UFO flap forty years
      ago, in September 1965. More recently, UFOs were seen
      there in August 2005. (Email Form Report)

      On Friday, September 2, 2005, at 9 p.m., Katherine D.
      Bragg reported, "My husband and I were fishing in the
      Kanawha River near the state Capitol in Charleston, West
      Virginia (population 53,421). I noticed a bright star
      near the Big Dipper (Ursa Major--J.T.). I watched it
      because it was brighter than all the other stars. It then
      started moving and crossed the sky going southeast."
      "My husband thought it was the International Space
      Station because it was so high. We could see airplanes up
      there, but this was much different. It disappeared over
      the mountains."
      "About ten minutes later, it came back much lower,
      and now there were two of them flying side by side. Pale
      white lights with no navigation lights. Star-like. No
      blinking lights and no sound, but these two were much
      lower--below the height (altitude) of planes. They looked
      like stars but pale."
      "We watched them go northwest toward the Big Dipper
      for about 30 seconds until my husband hooked a large
      catfish. After we landed the fish, the UFOs were gone.
      The night was clear and there were many stars visible
      despite the city lights. They were up very high, well
      above 35,000 feet (9,150 meters)." (Email Form Report)

      On Thursday, September 8, 2005, a new crop circle
      "was discovered in a field of barley in St. Gregor,
      Saskatchewan," Canada. This was the fifth crop circle
      found in Canada during 2005.
      The formation "was slightly elliptical with an offset
      spiral centre, ranging from approximately 14.4 metres
      (47.4 feet) to 15.4 metres (50.5 feet). Counterclockwise
      lay. Some crossed layering in the eastern portion of the
      circle. Estimated to be two to three weeks old when first
      found, and the field has already been harvested."
      (Many thanks to Paul Anderson of Canadian Crop
      Circles Research Network for this news item.)

      Still reeling from Hurricane Katrina and the flooding
      caused by the destruction of three levees, New Orleans
      became a combat zone last week as President George W. Bush
      used regular Army and National Guard troops as a private
      police force to restore order in the city.
      A hint of what was to come began Thursday, September
      1, 2005, when Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco announced
      that "300 National Guard troops landed in anarchic New
      Orleans with authorization to shoot to kill 'hoodlums.'"
      "'Three hundred of the Arkansas National Guard have
      landed in the city of New Orleans,' said Blanco."
      "'These troops are fresh from Iraq, well-trained,
      experienced, battle-tested and are under my orders to
      restore order in the streets,' Blanco said, 'They have M-
      16s and are locked and loaded. The troops are ready to
      shoot to kill, and they are more than willing to do so if
      necessary, and I expect they will."
      On Friday, September 2, 2005, "Colonel Henry
      Whitehorn of the Louisiana National Guard said that the
      law-and-order situation in the city was 'bad.'"
      "Combat operations are underway in the streets to
      'take this city back.'"
      "'This place is going to look like Little Somalia,'
      Brig. Gen. Gary Jones, commander of the Louisiana National
      Guard's Joint Task Force told the Army Times as hundreds
      of armed troops under his charge prepared to launch a
      massive citywide security mission from a staging area
      outside the Lousiana Superdome. 'We're going to go out
      and take the city back. This will be a combat operation
      to get the city under control.'"
      "Jones said the military's first order is to
      establish security throughout the city. Military and
      police officials have said there are several large areas
      of the city that are in a full state of anarchy."
      "Dozens of military trucks and up-armored Humvees
      left the staging area just past 11 a.m. Friday," September
      2, 2005, "while hundreds of troops arrived at the staging
      area in the city aboard Blackhawk and Chinook
      "'We're here to do whatever they need us to do,' Sgt.
      First Class Ron Nixon of the Oklahoma National Guard's
      1345th Transport Company said, 'We plan to stay as long as
      it takes.'"
      "Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and
      police helicopters filled the city's sky Friday morning.
      Most held armed soldiers manning their doors. (door
      "According to Petty Officer Third Class Jeremy
      Graham, a spokesman for the amphibious assault ship USS
      Bataan," the Navy's helicopter rescue operations were
      temporarily suspended Thursday "after several military
      helicopters reported being shot at from the ground."
      "Numerous soldiers told Army Times they had been shot
      at by armed civilians around New Orleans. Spokesmen for
      the Joint Task Force Headquarters at the Superdome said
      they were unsure of any servicemen being wounded in the
      streets, although one soldier is recovering from a gunshot
      wound sustained during a struggle with a criminal at the
      Dome on Wednesday night, August 31, 2005."
      "'I never thought that as a National Guardsman I
      would be shot at by other Americans,' said Spec. Philip
      Baccus of the 527th Engineer Battalion. 'And I'd never
      thought I'd have to carry a rifle on a humanitarian relief
      mission. This is dangerous."
      On Saturday, September 3, 2005, President George W.
      Bush unilaterally suspended the Posse Comitatus Act of
      1878 and ordered 4,000 troops of the U.S. Army's 82nd
      Airborne Division to "secure" New Orleans.
      (Editor's Note: Congress passed the Posse Comitatus
      Act to prevent the USA's federal government from using
      regular Army troops in police operations.)
      By sending the 82nd Airborne to "the Big Easy," Bush
      became the second American president, after Abraham
      Lincoln, to attack the city with troops of the regular
      Bush also extended his "state of emergency" to ten
      more states. On Sunday and Monday, August 27 and 28,
      2005, "Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama declared states
      of emergency due to storm damage." On Friday, September
      2, 2005, "Arkansas and Texas were added to the list."
      On Monday, September 5, 2005, "Bush added eight more
      states to the list--Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida,
      West Virginia, North Carolina, Utah and Colorado."
      "The Pentagon dispatched 4,000 paratroopers from the
      82nd Airborne Division to finish evacuating the city. The
      military was returning from Iraq about 2,800 members of a
      Louisiana combat brigade a month ahead of schedule, and
      some Mississippi National Guard members were also being
      sent home early."
      "'We're working to reunite the men and women in
      uniform that are deployed overseas with their families
      here at home,' Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said, 'A
      number of families that are stationed in that area
      obviously lost all their possessions."
      Meanwhile, pitched battles raged in New Orleans'
      downtown and French Quarter between the troops and armed
      civilians, described as "looters, criminals, gang members
      and survivalists."
      "The shooting started the night of (Monday) August 29
      (2005) before Hurricane Katrina had finished roaring
      through the city. With the electricity out, it was so
      dark in the police department's First District
      headquarters that the only thing visible at one point was
      the muzzle flash of sniper fire from the public housing
      project nearby. In a part of town where tension between
      residents and police is common, some residents were taking
      advantage of the chaos to attack the police precinct on
      the edge of the city's French Quarter."
      "'You have to understand,' said Officer Juan Lopez,
      who took refuge in the precinct house. 'New Orleans was a
      violent place before the hurricane. After the hurricane,
      the city just let loose."
      "Through it all, the police department was hamstrung
      by the absence of roughly one-third of its 1,600 officers,
      who failed to return to duty after the storm."
      The precinct house received a new nickname last week-
      -"Fort Apache."
      "There's no doubt that the American news media is not
      reporting the combat operations in New Orleans," UFO
      Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "On Monday, September
      5, 2005, I saw video from UK, French and Spanish
      television networks showing hordes of helicopters over New
      Orleans. Interesting division of labor. The gray Navy
      and white Coast Guard helicopters were doing rescue
      missions, hauling up people trapped in flooded homes. But
      the Army's UH-60 Blackhawks were flying combat patrols
      over Bourbon Street, Dauphine Street and Burgundy Street."
      "I also saw video of the wreckage of a shot-down
      Blackhawk on Rampart Street."
      "On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, BBC World News aired
      video of the 82nd Airborne's arrival in New Orleans. The
      second brief segment showed a firefight between the
      paratroopers and three men on an Interstate Highway I-10
      overpass. The BBC didn't identify the locale, but, from
      the looks of it, the firefight took place on the highway
      south of Claiborne Street, between Dumaine Street and St.
      Philip Street. Despite the camera's crazy jiggling, you
      could see the trio making a break for it across the
      highway. Of the three, only one was carrying a weapon,
      and it looked like an FN-FAL military rifle. All three
      men were black and between the ages of 20 and 30."
      "What was particularly surprising is that none of the
      G.I.s in the platoon were black. None of the video I've
      seen thus far has shown black G.I.s doing street patrols.
      Every black soldier I've seen, male or female, has been in
      a motorboat helping to rescue homeowners and tenants
      stranded by the flooding."
      "On Tuesday, September 6, 2005, a news photo showed
      an assault boat filled with 16 Special Forces soldiers
      crossing Canal Street. Again, all of the soldiers were
      "Also on Tuesday, there was a major assault on the
      Fisher Estate, across the Mississippi River from New
      Orleans, by a force comprised of the New Orleans Tactical
      Police Unit, the Oregon National Guard and the 82nd
      Airborne Division. Shooting went on for hours in what
      some G.I.s are calling 'the Battle of Bayou Fallujah."
      "Police and National Guard troops have gone door-to-
      door, strongly urging residents to leave. Throughout the
      city on Wednesday," September 7, 2005, "there were signs
      of an increasingly aggressive crackdown on security.
      Members of the Army's 82nd Airborne Division were at the
      city limits, turning away everyone but emergency workers,
      law enforcement agents and a few journalists."
      "Meanwhile, National Guard units from across the
      country formed checkpoints that limited access to several
      New Orleans neighborhoods."
      Hurricane victims, the majority of them black,
      complained of being abused by the troops when they asked
      for food and water. "They treat us like we're Al Qaeda,"
      one resident of the Vieux Carre complained, "They said,
      'Move it, niggers!' and told us to get off the interstate
      "They act like we're suicide bombers," another
      resident added.
      "As flood waters receded inch by inch Tuesday, New
      Orleans Mayor C. Ray Nagin authorized law enforcement
      officers and the U.S. military to heed orders to leave the
      dark, dangerous city."
      "Nagin's emergency declaration released late Tuesday
      targets those still in the city unless they have been
      designated by government officials as helping with the
      releif effort."
      "The move comes after some residents bluntly told
      authorities who had come to deliver them from the flooded
      metropolis that they would not leave their homes. An
      estimated 10,000 residents are believed to still be in New
      Orleans, and some have been holed up in their homes for
      more than a week."
      One resident, "Patrick McCarthy, 57, said soldiers
      arrived in the Lower Garden District Monday. 'Before
      that, I was defending my block (against looters--J.T.)
      with a shovel,' said McCarthy, who said he stayed in the
      city because 'this is my home.'"
      "Although many parts of the city were quiet, its
      long-term security was uncertain because armed people
      still could be holed up."
      Added to these are city residents trying to evade
      capture by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
      Horror stories circulating about the FEMA concentration
      camp at the Superdome have fueled their determination to
      avoid the security patrols.
      "'Once you put yourself in the hands of the
      government, you could end up in Utah,' Michael O'Donoghue,
      64, a holdout in New Orleans' Lower Garden District said."
      (See USA Today for September 6, 2005, "'Destroyed' city
      clears out," page 1A; for September 7, 2005, "Officers at
      'Fort Apache' finally get breather," page 3A; for
      September 8, 2005, "Mayor sees 1st 'rays of light,'" page
      1A and "New Orleans holdouts still hold out hope," page
      3A; the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for September 8, 2005,
      "New Orleans mayor orders forced evacuation," page 1 A;
      and for September 9, 2005, "New Orleans residents resist
      relocation," page 1A; the Army Times for September 2,
      2005, "Combat operations are ready to 'take back the
      streets' after Hurricane Katrina," and the BBC World News
      broadcasts for September 6 and September 7, 2005.)

      As a quarter-million Hurricane Katrina evacuees
      poured into Texas, the Federal Emergency Management Agency
      (FEMA) turned the 40-year-old Astrodome in Houston into an
      emergency shelter. But the center soon degenerated into
      another "Thunderdome" like the Superdome in New Orleans
      the previous week.
      Shelters were "set up at the Astrodome and adjacent
      Reliant Arena and Reliant Center exhibition hall, as well
      as the downtown George R. Brown Convention Center."
      The Astrodome's evacuee population peaked at 24,590
      on Saturday, September 3, 2005, according to the Red
      Cross. As of Wednesday, September 7, "the population in
      the four facilities had fallen to 8,096."
      "'I don't know if they'd close this weekend. I have
      a personal goal of the weekend after that,' said Coast
      Guard Lt. Joe Leonard, who supervises the shelters at the
      Astrodome" and elsewhere in Houston. "In the shelters,
      'they almost create their own communities, their own
      circle of friends,' Leonard said, 'And they're staying
      there right now because that's the greatest comfort level
      they have.'"
      "Shelter residents have access to 660 bathrooms and
      175 showers in the four major (FEMA) facilities. Nightly
      dinners range from fried chicken, red beans and cornbread
      on Wednesday, to lasagna for (Thursday) to beef sirloin
      and mushrooms planned for Friday."
      "For other shelter inhabitants, however, the days
      since their escape from New Orleans have turned into a
      long week."
      "'There are a lot of impatient people here. People
      are starting to get angry. You can hear it in the
      conversations,' said Donald Nunnery, who has been at the
      Astrodome" since Thursday, September 1, 2005. "'Some of
      the older people, at 10 or 11 o'clock, they're ready to go
      to bed. And there are still kids throwing balls and
      running around, jumping over beds.'"
      "The overhead lights are turned off from 11 p.m. to 6
      a.m.--low-level lighting remains on--but there is no
      enforced bedtime."
      "Nathan Smith, 42, a residential and commercial
      repairman, also senses a growing strain of life in close
      quarters. 'People are thankful for the opportunity to be
      here under the circumstances,' he said, 'But no, I don't
      think anybody's satisfied staying on cots in a dome.'"
      Linda Bowie, 51, and her family "rode out the storm
      in her mother's second-story apartment in the Lafitte
      Housing Project" in New Orleans, "then watched the waters
      rise. Escape wasn't easy for anyone in the city, but it
      was a special challenge for Bowie's family. Her mother,
      Ethel Hebert, was confined to a hospital bed because of
      diabetes and her age."
      Eventually the Bowies "were left to deal with the
      squalid Superdome. They spent a tortured Wednesday
      night," August 31, 2005, "in the bleachers."
      "'Everything was going on in there,' Bowie says,
      'Fighting. Murders. Rape. There was all kinds of
      violence. They were selling drugs. The food they were
      dropping off, other people were selling it. If you didn't
      have money, you didn't eat.'"
      "She arranged to buy seven hot dogs, five smoked
      sausages and two Cokes for $20. 'Where they were getting
      it, I don't know. I guess they were stealing it from the
      dome,' Bowie says, 'When the girl brings me back the food,
      she says, 'You do drugs? I've got marijuana, cocaine,
      heroin, Viagra, Vicodin. I can't tell you all the
      "Bowie kept the children, Kailen, Kyle, 8, and Kaila,
      7, by her side. At 7 a.m. Thursday," September 1, 2005,
      "they boarded a bus for Houston. She caught one of the
      first wave of 500 or so buses that delivered hurricane
      evacuees to Houston's Astrodome, and from there settled
      into a motel arranged by a cousin who lives" in Houston.
      One woman complained that life in the Astrodome was
      just as bad as the infamous Superdome.
      "A six-year-old girl was raped in here. A nine-year-
      old boy was killed. A man in the shower was nearly beaten
      to death," Clara Barthelemy, formerly of New Orleans'
      Ninth Ward said, "There's no hot food. Help!"
      "We are treated like prisoners here. Placed under
      mandatory curfew," another evacuee said, "We are
      Clara added, "The 17th Street Levee (in New Orleans--
      J.T.) was bombed by the Army Corps of Engineers to save
      the more valuable real estate in the city. To keep the
      French Quarter protected, the Ninth Ward was sacrificed.
      People are afraid to speak out. Everyone who was there
      heard the bombings. They bombed seven times. They let
      the parishes go, not the city center. Tourist trap was
      saved over human life."
      Bush administration officials added to the clamor
      with a series of incredible gaffes, as when Michael
      Chertoff, Secretary of the Department of Homeland
      Security, said, "Louisiana is a city under water."
      This was followed a few days later by a fresh
      scandal, when it was revealed that Judge Chertoff's wife,
      Meryl, was a New Jersey consultant who specialized in
      obtaining lucrative FEMA contracts for firms located in
      the State of Israel.
      (Editor's Comment: In other words...the usual
      Beltway chicken-stealing.)
      But that was nothing compared to the furor when
      former First Lady Barbara Bush, the president's mother,
      visited the Astrodome and said, "And so many of the people
      in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway,
      so this is working very well for them."
      Mrs. Bush received her reply from "A. Field Hand" on
      the Web, who wrote, "Yassuh, Miz Barbara, us darkies enjoy
      bein' po', we sho does. So doan you be worryin' 'bout us.
      We's happy heah in de Astrodome, all crammed together
      wif'out no privacy, our house all washed away, our friends
      and family dead. We's used to it. Yassuh."
      (Editor's Comment: Finally! Somebody told off the
      vicious old harridan.)
      As for Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, she drew
      criticism when it was revealed that the Secretary was in
      New York City shopping for shoes instead of helping with
      relief efforts. (See USA Today for September 7, 2005,
      "Woman searches for ailing mother who was airlifted from
      Superdome--and vanished," page 4A, and for September 8,
      2005, "Numbers dwindle at Astrodome as evacuees move out,"
      page 4A. Many thanks to Clara Barthelemy, Wayne Madsden
      and Bob Liggett for these news stories.)

      "A convoy of 45 vehicles and and 196 soldiers arrived
      at the border city of Nuevo Laredo Wednesday night,"
      September 7, 2005. "It was to cross into U.S. territory
      early" Thursday, September 8, 2005, "Gen. Francisco Ortiz
      Valadez told reporters as his men refueled at a local gas
      "He said the troops would help evacuee operations in
      San Antonio."
      (Editor's Note: San Antonio, Tex. is 756 miles (1,203
      kilometers) west of New Orleans, well outside the
      hurricane damage area.)
      "'Our mission is to give aid to the civilian
      population affected by this disaster," Gen. Ortiz said."
      "The convoy represents the first Mexican military
      unit to operate on U.S. soil since 1846, when Mexican
      troops briefly marched into Texas, which had seceded from
      Mexico and joined the United States."
      "'This is just an act of solidarity between two
      peoples who are brothers,' said Ruben Aguilar, a spokesman
      for Mexico's President Vicente A. Fox."
      The movement of Mexican Army troops and armor into
      Texas apparently came about as a result of a private deal
      between President George W. Bush and his Mexican
      "With a 24-hour delay, President Vicente Fox
      requested from the (Mexican) Senate authoriztion to allow
      elements of the Army and Navy to leave Mexico for the
      United States to lend assistance to victims of Hurricane
      "The full Senate approved the Federal Executive's
      request but only barely, since it received only 68 votes."
      For the measure to be approved, it had to receive 65
      "Only a day earlier, PRI and PRD (Mexican political
      parties--J.T.) legislators had complained that the
      Consitutional provision to authorize the deployment of
      military forces had been abused" by President Fox.
      Gen. Ortiz's convoy "passed by San Luis Potosi"
      before going on to Monterrey and Nuevo Laredo.
      The Minutemen and Texas rightwing militia groups
      immediately went on alert when the Mexican troops crossed
      the border.
      According to commentator Alex Jones of Infowars, at
      least three Mexican military convoys crossed the border on
      "The first sighting occurred at 12:30 p.m. on Highway
      183 travelling towards Austin," the state capital of
      Texas. "The eyewitness described about 10 military
      vehicles, four jeeps, which others described as Humvees,
      and six combat trucks brimming with armed Mexican troops
      wearing body armor, helmets and rifles. The troops riding
      in the jeeps had holstered hand guns. The vehicles were
      not being escorted by the U.S. Army or any other
      government vehicles. The vehicles were festooned with
      insignia reading Mexico - Policia Militar and the Mexican
      "The second sighting occurred north of Austin on
      Highway 135 near Georgetown, Texas (population 28,339)."
      "Why are we surprised? This has been predicted for
      months," UFO Roundup correspondent Jim Danvers said, "The
      invasion of Texas has begun. Now that the Mexicans are
      here, next comes the gun confiscation--just like in New
      On Friday, September 9, 2005, the New York Times
      reported, "Local police officers began confiscating
      weapons from civilians in preparation for a forced
      evacuation of the last holdouts still living" in New
      "Edwin Compass III, the police superintendent, said
      after a week of near-anarchy in the city, no civilian in
      New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns and
      other firearms of any kind."
      "'Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons,'
      he said."
      "New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled
      by thousands of local, state and federal law enforcement
      officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty
      "Whether he knows it or not, Mr. Compass is repeating
      standard United Nations policy on the ownership of
      firearms," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "The UN
      has repeatedly stated that ownership of firearms should be
      confined to police and military units only. This UN
      policy is being carried out in New Orleans under the
      auspices of martial law, in violation of the USA's
      "Nor has it been explained why the Mexican Army is
      heading for Austin and San Antonio when the majority of
      the evacuees are in the Houston area."
      "Will this UN policy be extended to Texas? Time will
      Although some militia members expressed fears of a
      reconquista of Texas by its one-time former owner, Mexico,
      Trainor said he doesn't agree with that.
      "Texas has a convoluted history," he remarked,
      "Originally, it was part of Spain's colony of Nueva
      Espana. Then it became a state of Mexico when Mexico won
      its war of independence in 1824. Then, in 1836, Texas won
      its independence from Mexico. After nine years as an
      independent nation, the Lone Star State joined the USA in
      1845. However, only 16 years later, Texas seceded from
      the USA and joined the short-lived Confederate States of
      America. Texas was the last Confederate state to
      surrender in June 1865. It spent five years as a
      Reconstruction 'occupied territory' and then was re-
      admitted to the USA in 1870. I guess in the real estate
      business you'd call this a 'flawed title.'"
      "My guess is that there's a plan at the United
      Nations to seperate Texas from the USA. Texas would lose
      its statehood and become a Trust Territory under the UN,
      to be ruled jointly by the USA and Mexico. How would that
      affect Texas? Well, for one thing, there would be no more
      'six-guns-in-every-household.' The UN Blue Helmets would
      see to that. Also, having to pay taxes to both the USA
      and Mexico would bring the booming Texas economy to a
      screeching halt."
      Meanwhile, twenty million Texans are wondering: what
      will the Mexican Army do next? (See the Mexican newspaper
      Hoy for September 7, 2005, "Mexican troops sent to U.S.;"
      the Wichita, Kan. Eagle for September 8, 2005, "Mexican
      troops on U.S. soil;" and the New York Times for September
      9, 2005, "Police begin siezing guns of civilians." Many
      thanks to Scott Corrales, Marco Reynoso, Jim Danvers,
      Dolores Echevarria and Ray Eldon for these newspaper

      The crazy crocs staged another flap last week, making
      headlines in California and Tennessee.
      The crazy crocs--also known as the crazy croc
      syndrome, i.e. the sudden appearance of crocodilians in
      regions far outside their native habitat--are one of the
      longest running phenomena in Forteana. And the year 2005
      has been a bumper one for sightings.
      "A crocodilian--perhaps and alligator or a caiman
      (South American alligator--J.T.)--was discovered Tuesday,"
      September 6, 2005, "in a flood control channel that feeds
      into nearby Machado Lake" in Harbor City, California, a
      suburb of Los Angeles, "creating a new challenge for
      facilities authorities who have been trying unsuccessfully
      to capture Reggie (formerly known as Carlito and Harbor
      Park Harry--J.T.), as the 6 to 7-foot (2-meter) long
      alligator that has been swimming in the lake and drawing
      crowds for weeks" is known.
      "'They've got another one to catch,' said Craig
      Townsend, 50, manager of Harbor City Estates."
      "Because of the smaller size, the reptile discovered
      Tuesday is not believed to be Reggie, the elusive
      alligator dumped by his former owners into the 53-acre
      lake at Ken Malloy Harbor Regional Park."
      "The latest reptile, which also appears to be an
      alligator, was seen in a concrete-lined channel just
      blocks away from the lake."
      "Craig Reagan, a 45-year-old electrician, discovered
      the animal at about 4 p.m. when he walked behind his
      Harbor City Estates mobile home on Lomita Boulevard in
      Harbor City to feed the turtles and ducks that live in and
      near the channel."
      "'I looked over the bank, and there's this
      alligator,' Reagan said, 'I thought, 'Holy cow!'"
      "Reagan called the city's Animal Control Department
      to file a report but was still awaiting a visit from a
      field agent as the sun went down. Native to the
      southeastern United States, alligators are not naturally
      found in California."
      "As they waited around, residents and area children
      came out to watch."
      "'The kids are all just fascinated, I think,'
      Townsend said, 'I don't thin it's going to hurt any one.
      I just hope the kids don't scare it off, because then it's
      just going to hide.'"
      Two days later, on Thursday, September 8, 2005,
      "Little Reggie," the smaller of the two alligators, was
      "One urban alligator down, one to go. A 3-foot (0.9-
      meter) long gator dubbed 'Little Reggie' was caught
      Thursday night in a Harbor City flood control channel, but
      its nearby, much bigger partner remains on the loose."
      "Word of a gator sighting drew firefighters to the
      channel, where one leaned out on a truck-mounted ladder to
      snare Little Reggie in a hand-held net, Los Angeles fire
      spokesman Jim Wells said."
      "'We've gone out on (calls regarding) boa
      constrictors, snakes, but I cannot recall a rescue of an
      alligator,'" he added.
      "The gator was discovered Tuesday by a resident of
      Harbor City Estates mobile home park when he returned home
      to feed turtles and ducks that live in the channel."
      Also last week, in Oak Grove, Kentucky (population
      7,064), authorities called off the search for a crazy croc
      that had escaped from the back of a pickup truck.
      "Authorities in Kentucky called off the search
      Wednesday," September 7, 2005, "for an escaped alligator."
      "James Mason of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife Resources
      called the search 'like a needle in a haystack.'"
      "The 4.5-foot (1.3-meter) long alligator escaped from
      a moving pickup truck in Oak Grove, Ky. and scampered off
      into a cornfield."
      "The alligator was found in the basement of a
      (mobile) home in Oak Grove and was taken to a pet store in
      nearby Clarksville, Tennessee (population 103,455). It
      was being brought back to Kentucky when it escaped again."
      "Authorities had been alerting the residents of the
      area about the loose alligator." (See the Torrance, Cal.
      Daily Breeze for September 7, 2005, "Is there room enough
      in Harbor city for two reptiles?", the Los Angeles Times
      for September 10, 2005, "Gator found in flood channel in
      L.A.," and the Clarksville, Tenn. Leaf-Chronicle for
      September 8, 2005, "Hunt for escaped alligator called
      off." Many thanks to Fortean researcher Loren Coleman and
      UFO Roundup's crazy crocs expert Mary Lou Jones-Drown for
      these newspaper articles.)

      AT ONGAR, UK

      "A large black animal has been seen in fields off
      Moreton Road, Ongar. There have been reports of deer and
      other animals being killed, and a horse attacked in the
      area, in recent weeks."
      "Belinda Taylor's son, Adam, and his friend, Scott
      Prior, reported seeing the animal at Shelley Common."
      "Mrs. Taylor told the Guardian: 'It was a big black
      cat, bigger than a Labrador (dog), and it was seen going
      into the hedge. At first Adam thought it was a fox, but
      Scott said it wasn't because it was black."
      "Mrs. Taylor now believes 'a big cat' could have been
      responsible for scratches on her horse."
      "'I just thought the other horses were bullying him
      and had pushed him into barbed wire, but, thinking about
      it, it's too high up. He's had deep superficial scratches
      on one of his legs and round the quarter area near his
      "Mrs. Taylor, whose son's rabbits have been killed,
      had also been told of a deer that was found ripped apart
      in a field with 'lumps of flesh all over the place.'"
      The last Alien Big Cat (Phantom panther in the USA--
      J.T.) took place "in October 2003 when Stanford Rivers
      Parish Council clerk Kay Hayden saw 'a big cat' in a field
      off Berwick Lane."
      "The first sighting was seven years ago at Wood End,
      Beauchamp Roding, near Ongar."
      "There were also attacks on Weald Bridge Road, North
      Weald, where four geese were killed. One of the carcasses
      was sent away for analysis, resulting in pathologist
      Ranald Munro concluding that the geese had been killed by
      a lynx." (See The Guardian for September 1, 2005. Many
      thanks to UFO Roundup's phantom panther expert Robert
      Fischer for this newspaper article.)

      "Planetary scientists are intrigued by the latest
      findings from the flyby in July (2005) of Saturn's moon
      The robot spacecraft Cassini managed "the detection
      of hot spots at the moon's south pole."
      "Usually, the hottest part of any planet or moon is
      around the equator, as is the case with Earth, mission
      scientists said at a news conference Tuesday," August 30,
      "On Enceladus, however, the heat is greatest in the
      south pole region near a series of ground fissures
      referred to as 'tiger stripes.' John Spencer of the
      Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado, says:
      'It's like flying past Antarctica and finding that it's
      warmer than Earth's equatorial regions. It's that
      "Further analysis suggests that water vapor and fine
      water-ice particles may be venting from the fissures."
      (See USA Today for August 31, 2005, "'Strange' hot spots
      at Saturn moon's pole," page 5D.)

      Even while New Orleans was being destroyed by the
      kind of apocalyptic disaster that used to be found only in
      the pages of Marvel Comics, "the Mars rovers Spirit and
      Opportunity are continuing to function and have long
      outlasted their missions, NASA said."
      "'Today is Day 591 of our 90-day mission to Mars,'
      mission principal investigator Steve Squyres said."
      "Scientists released a picture of the Martian
      landscape shot by Spirit from a hill it took a year to
      ascend. The rover reached the 270-foot (81-meter) Husband
      Hill on (Sunday) August 21 (2005)."
      "'That's no Mount Everest, but for a little rover
      this was a heck of a climb,' Squyres said."
      "The six-wheeled, solar-powered Spirit and its twin,
      Opportunity, landed on opposite sides of Mars in January
      2004 to look for evidence of the history of water." (See
      USA Today for September 2, 2005, "Rover scales Husband
      Hill on Mars," page 7A.)

      >From the UFO Files...

      1936: UFOs OVER KANSAS

      At about 10:30 p.m., on Monday, September 14, 1936,
      farmer William Beverly Hamilton, 20, climbed the back
      porch steps of his parents' house south of Wichita,
      Kansas. The screen door creaked as he strode into the
      darkened kitchen. The sun had been down for a couple of
      hours, but it was still hot--well over 90 degrees
      Fahrenheit. For this was the height of "the Dust Bowl,"
      and 1936 had been a year of unprecedented drought in
      Bill peeled off his shirt, hung it on the back of a
      kitchen chair, and then rummaged in the icebox. Sure
      enough, Momma had left him a pitcher of fresh lemonade.
      There was a tall glass on the tablecloth, too. Bill
      poured himself a tall one and quaffed it down. It tasted
      like the nectar of the gods running down his parched,
      dust-caked throat.
      Bill turned on the kitchen light and then tried the
      Atwater Kent radio. Hearing a burst of static, he turned
      it down low, not wanting to disturb his parents, who were
      trying to get to sleep upstairs. Maybe he could pick up
      the all-night station in Topeka.
      Patiently he turned the dial. The needle went from
      one end of the waveband to the other. There was nothing
      but static. Suddenly, a sound came through, the blare of
      a jazz band. Startled, Bill turned the volume a bit
      "...concludes the first half of our program. Next
      up--Mr. Cab Calloway, making a special appearance right
      here at the House of Blues. Stay tuned to WLS, the Voice
      of Chicagoland, for the best in jazz..."
      Chicago!? Bill frowned in bewilderment. That's
      hundreds of miles away. Yet it's coming through as clear
      as a bell. No static at all. What is this?
      Finishing his lemonade, Bill listened as the black
      singer began his number. "Hi-de-hi-de-hi...ho-de-ho-de-
      "Hi-de-hi-de-hi," Bill murmured, absentmindedly
      singing along. Then, as he passed the kitchen window, he
      did an instant doubletake. "Ho-de-ho-de...Holey Moley!
      What the hell is that!?"
      Peering through the slightly dusty glass, Bill saw a
      circular bright blue light zigzagging through the night
      sky above his father's wheat field, about a half-mile
      north of the Arkansas River. He watched in amazement as
      the blue light was joined by another, and then another,
      and then another.
      I must be dreaming, he thought. I fell asleep in a
      kitchen chair, and I'm dreaming. That's the only
      Bill squeezed his eyes shut and then opened. The
      four luminous blue objects were still there, tracing a
      leisurely circle in the sky above the wheat field.
      The blue objects reminded Bill of his mother's pie
      plates. They seemed to tilt at odd angles, self-luminous
      with that eerie blue light but not illuminating the
      parched wheat on the ground.
      The boyhood nickname brought Bill out of his stunned
      reverie. Turning, he saw his mother standing in the
      doorway in her flannel nightgown. Concern flashed across
      her features. "What is it? What's the matter?"
      "Momma, come over here and take a look." Bill guided
      her by her thin shoulders to the window. "Tell me what
      you see."
      Mrs. Hamilton looked. Then her hand touched the base
      of her throat, and she cast her son a puzzled glance. "I-
      -I don't know. What is it?"
      "That's what I'd like to know," Bill replied.
      "Go fetch your daddy."
      Bill took the stairs two at a time and then pushed
      open his parents' bedroom door. His father, William
      Turner Hamilton, sat upright on the edge of the bed,
      pulling his suspenders on. "What in Sam Hill is going on
      "Look out the window, Dad."
      The elder Hamilton did so. His jaw dropped a full
      inch. "Sweet Mother of Pearl!"
      Within minutes, the three Hamiltons were on the back
      porch, staring upward at the strange aerial display in the
      sky. The "plates," as Bill's mother called them, hovered
      motionless for several minutes. Then, glowing a slightly
      brighter blue, they zipped to the east in single file,
      then made an "impossible" 90-degree turn to the south.
      The strange maneuvers went on for nearly fifteen minutes.
      And then, without a sound, the UFOs darted south toward
      the Arkansas River and disappeared over the horizon.
      It was a night Bill Hamilton never forgot.
      Times change. When Bill and his wife returned to
      Wichita's North High School in 1985 for his class's 50th
      reunion, he couldn't believe the changes in what, to him,
      would always be "farm country." The family farm, which
      his father had bought in 1921 when Bill was five, was no
      longer there, replaced by Hydraulic Avenue and its strip
      malls. The cottonwood grove and "ol' swimming hole" on
      the Arkansas where he and his friends had "gone skinny-
      dipping" as boys were now part of the sprawling Boeing
      But still he remembered the night of the UFOs.
      His widow, Norma, recalls: "Bill was born on August
      13, 1916. He was in his early twenties at the time. My
      husband was a very intelligent man, not apt to imagine
      such things. He told me of this sighting several times
      before his death in 1986. In the late 1930s, my husband
      often saw these lights zipping around over his father's
      farm. They changed direction suddenly, hovering and then
      streaking away."
      "I do not know how many events there were. But there
      were more than one."
      UFOs before Roswell? They're rare...but they're
      there. (Many thanks to Norma Hamilton for the email

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth--and occasionally, Mars and Saturn--brought
      to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See
      you next time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news
      items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news
      groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
      item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Home to UFO Roundup, Encounters With Aliens On This Day,
      AUFORN Australian UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI
      Magazine plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports
      (Albert Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK and more...
      the bulletin in error, please write to: