Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 36

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor. ========================== UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 36 September 7, 2005 Editor: Joseph Trainor
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 10, Number 36
      September 7, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      On Thursday, August 18, 2005, eyewitness Pierre L.
      reported, "I witnessed at 7:25 p.m. over La Cadiere
      d'Azur, in the department of Var (France), several black
      helicopters without visible (identification) markings
      hovering in the sky. They were present when a glossy
      cylinder rose from the top of the hill called Gros Cerveau
      (French for Big Brain--J.T.). The object then changed
      direction while going horizontally from the level of the
      clouds to the north-northeast."
      "Two black helicopters stayed hovering in the area
      for another ten or fifteen minutes" after the cylindrical
      UFO departed.
      On Friday, August 19, 2005, at 7 p.m., eyewitness
      Gaspard W. reported, "I live on the heights of Nice," a
      large city on France's Mediterranean Sea coastline, "and I
      observed with my own eyes a similar cylindrical object
      over the Alpes-Maritimes. The object was at an altitude
      of between 7,000 and 9,000 meters (23,100 to 29,700 feet)
      and also its trajectory was perfectly rectilinear, more or
      less, from the southwest to the northeast. My observation
      took place at approximately 7 p.m."
      "Atmospheric conditions were perfect, no clouds or
      pollution. The object moved with a constant speed similar
      to that of a normal aeroplane. I could clearly
      distinguish a bulge at the center, of a slightly darker
      appearance than the remainder of the structure."
      On Saturday night, August 27, 2005, a mutilated horse
      was found in a pasture in the department of Ile de France.
      The case was reported on TV Channel 3 in Paris, and the
      news show 12/14 devoted an entire segment to it.
      According to French ufologist Robert Fischer, "a
      report from the stablehand who looked into the death of a
      foal which had been found mutilated in a strange manner"
      was presented on the news show. The foal "had obviously
      not been eaten, but certain body parts, in a patchwork
      operation, had been removed, said the animal's owner. The
      owner blamed a neighbour's Alsatian dog for the death, but
      veterinary experts who examined the goal doubted that
      'wounds so precise' could have been inflicted by a dog."
      Earlier in the month, on Monday, August 8, 2005, at
      11:42 p.m., "we observed in the sky an object of
      triangular shape pass across the sky" in Gard, a village
      near Nimes" in southern France," the witnesses reported,
      "We were on the terrace looking at the stars. It was
      beautiful weather, no cloud, the sky was perfectly clear,
      when suddenly my friend saw a light of an orange colour--
      the same colour as a sodium lamp--of a rather large size,
      which came from the west."
      "When the object passed overhead, we saw that it was
      composed of 13 orange lights laid out in an equilateral
      triangle. The size of the object was about the width of a
      fist held at the end of an extended arm. The triangle
      seemed to slip through the sky, no noise at all. It moved
      in the sky in a straight line from west to east towards
      (the constellation) Cassiopeia, then swerved as it passed
      behind the house and where we lost sight of it. The
      duration was very short, less than 10 minutes. This light
      in the sky was approximately 50 degrees above the
      horizon." (Merci beaucoup a Robert Fischer pour ces


      On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 9:15 p.m., M. Little
      was a passenger in a car driving on motorway M25 at
      Stapleford Abbots, Essex, UK when he saw unusual lights
      approaching from the southwest.
      "I was being driven around the M25 by a friend when
      we spotted a group of five to six orange spheres to our
      right (approximately southwest--M.L.). They appeared to
      be flying in a loose, slow formation. I am a pilot, and I
      feel able to say with some certainty that what I saw in
      the sky was not an aircraft. It had not the right colour
      for nighttime navigation lights, was not ground based (it
      was moving--M.L.), nor was it flares or balloons."
      "As we continued driving, I opened the car's sun roof
      and continued to observe the object's track to the
      northeast" as they were "changing their relative positions
      but remaining in a tight group. I then spotted two
      further objects to the east where the five or six were
      first sighted. We lost sight of the objects so we took
      the exit from the motorway."
      "The spheres had a deep orange colour, the appearance
      of a large disc. It was at a low level, under 5,000
      meters (16,500 feet). They were slow rising, appeared
      stationary at times and were very difficult to photograph
      while moving in the car."
      On Friday, August 26, 2005, N. Shawe was outdoors in
      his hometown of East Dene, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
      when he spotted a UFO.
      "It was an oval glowing shape in the sky," Shawe
      reported, "It was bluish-grey and oval in shape. It moved
      slowly and deliberately across the sky. This was at about
      10 p.m. It moved slowly and erratically. Eventually, we
      didn't see it any longer at all." (Email Form Reports.)


      "A large object with an orange center was seen the
      night of Wednesday, August 31, 2005, in the region of
      Valencia in eastern Spain by hundreds of eyewitnesses, who
      reported the phenomenon to the (Spanish) Center for
      "Hundreds of telephone calls reported an unidentified
      flying object that resembled 'a large ball of fire with an
      orange or yellowish-green center,' that moved at great
      speed through the sky in a horizontal trajectory to the
      "Reports were received from Valencia, Alicante and
      Castellon, the three provinces along Spain's Mediterranean
      "The first report came in at 9:06 p.m. from a
      vineyard owner in Alfafar, who said he had seen a UFO
      'descending in an easterly direction.'"
      "The second sighting occurred at 9:11 p.m. from a
      resident who was driving between Cabanes and Castellon
      when his car engine suddenly died. He confirmed that the
      object was heading east towards the Mediterranean Sea."
      "In Rojales, a town in Alicante province, at 9:12
      p.m., witnesses on the ground observed 'an enormous ball
      of brilliant white light' that moved slowly in a straight
      northeasterly direction." (See the Spanish EFE News
      Agency report for September 1, 2005. Muchas gracias a
      Brunilda Barros y Mauricio Goncalves para estas noticias.)


      On Monday, August 29, 2005, at 12:50 p.m., Carlos R.
      Pena was at his office building in downtown Santo Domingo,
      the capital of the Dominican Republic, when he "was able
      to witness a completely black UFO at a distance between
      1,000 and 3,000 meters (3,300 to 10,000 feet--J.T.)."
      "I say this because the object flew between a low
      rain cloud and medium-altitude white clouds," Carlos
      explained, "We know that clouds are usually at an altitude
      of 1,500 to 2,500 meters (5,000 to 8,000 feet--J.T.)."
      "The object was travelling from west to east over
      Santo Domingo, but its shape was hard to describe. I
      believe it was something that appeared to be vertical--
      something like the alleged 'flying humanoids' that have
      been seen over Mexico in recent weeks. I cannot relate it
      to any other object, whether a balloon, cloud, airplane,
      etc. on account of its very strange shape."
      "Unfortunately, I did not have time for a photograph,
      as the sighting lasted only 40 seconds, and I did not have
      a camera at hand. The object was flying in an even,
      single-row movement, except for one moment when it moved
      in a soft curve, which I estimate at 5 to 10 degrees" off
      its original course. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y
      Carlos R. Pena para estas noticias.)


      An amateur photographer snapped a photo of a daylight
      disc UFO over the island of Reunion, a French colony in
      the Indian Ocean 800 kilometers (500 miles) east of
      "David had the surprise of his life at exactly 7:48
      a.m." on Sunday, August 28, 2005 "when he first tried his
      digital camera. Standing on his terrace in St. Joseph
      Heights, he took photos of the (seaside) panorama when his
      attention focused on the screen of the device."
      "Something clearly showed in the sky...but what?"
      "While downloading the image into his home computer,
      David realized that he had photographed an unidentified
      flying object."
      "A native of St. Joseph for 25 years and fascinated
      with photography, David at first believed he was
      hallucinating when he saw the picture he had shot early
      yesterday morning."
      "'When looking at the (camera's) monitor screen, I
      saw a shape in the sky,' David said, 'I thought there was
      something wrong with the screen, but while gazing I
      quickly realized it was actually there--a grey shape in
      the sky.'"
      "The shape appeared in only one of his photos."
      "'It is incomprehensible. The screen shows 7:48 a.m.
      as the time for the first photo. The sky is clear. One
      can see the city and the sea below. Now, on the next
      picture, taken at 7:49 a.m., the landscape is identical to
      the first but one can clearly see the grey object, which
      stands out against the blue of the (Indian Ocean) sky.'"
      "I wanted to test the maximal focus of the camera, so
      I used the 1/4000th setting to take the photos. The
      object is clearly visible. My camera--a semiprofessional
      digital Canon device--has 8 million pixels, so I could
      zoom in on it, and, even after this, the image remains
      "But I am unable to say what it is." (See the French
      newspaper Le Journal de la Reunion for August 29, 2005, "A
      UFO in St. Joseph's sky." Merci beaucoup a Robert Fischer
      pour cette article de journal.)


      "Hundreds of thousands of New Orleans residents were
      ordered to evacuate Sunday," August 28, 2005, "as
      Hurricane Katrina, one of the most powerful storms in U.S.
      history, bore down on the vulnerable Louisiana and
      Mississippi coasts."
      "At 7 p.m., Katrina had sustained winds near 160
      miles per hour (256 kilometers per hour) and was pushing a
      massive dome of seawater...In Katrina's path, the 485,000
      people of New Orleans, much of which sits below sea level.
      Levees and pumps protect the city from high water."
      "Gridlock gripped major highways as residents fled
      under a mandatory evacuation. 'This is a catastrophic
      monster that we're looking at,' said Chris Sisko, a
      meteorologist with the National Hurricane Center. 'It's
      going to find the slightest weakness in a building or
      levee, and it's going to exploit it.'"
      Among the thousands who heeded the evacuation call
      was Tanya Krieg-Romig, 28, a pregnant teacher who reached
      safety in Buras, Louisiana (population 1,480) after her
      home in New Orleans' Plaquemines Parish was destroyed.
      "Seven months pregnant with her first child, a son,
      already named ironically after the Biblical Noah, she
      couldn't hold back the tears."
      "'I know I should be so grateful that I am alive and
      everything is OK with my baby, but I feel so helpless, so
      cut off from the world right now,' she said."
      "'I grabbed all my insulin supplies, baby outfits
      that a couple of friends from back home (Superior,
      Wisconsin--J.T.) had sent and a couple of maternity shirts
      and some underwear. I forgot my bra. I threw in a box of
      Graham crackers, grabbed my personal documents, my two
      dogs, their dishes and kennels and that's it. I boarded
      up some windows, threw stuff in totes and labeled and left
      them. I flew down the stairs of my (Plaquemines)
      apartment, on stilts 15 feet in the air Saturday
      afternoon, really believing it wouldn't hit--that it would
      turn,' she explained."
      Tanya described the "streams of cars" fleeing New
      "Cars were stalled everywhere, it was so hot and
      frightening. Gas stations were out of gas, pumping 1,500
      gallons per hour. Stores were out of water and canned
      goods. People were throwing up and going to the bathroom
      on the sides of the interstate (highway). It was sheer
      panic. It took seven hours to go a hundred miles,' she
      Another pair who made it out were "two of the
      luckiest guys ever to sit behind the dash of a Sonju
      Motors Oldsmobile for 1,900 miles pulled into Duluth
      (Minnesota) on Friday," September 2, 2005. Make that
      1,900 miles along a circuitous and treacherous route that
      took Reese Nurmi and Dallas Ray from their New Orleans
      home" to safety.
      "Both bartenders at a trendy Big Easy club, the two
      29-year-olds say they love the city (New Orleans) and
      wouldn't move for anything."
      Nurmi and Dallas "left at 11 a.m. Sunday morning,"
      according to Nurmi's mother, Nesty Uppgard, "Reese called
      me at 4 p.m. and they had only gone 20 miles."
      "That was to Slidell, La. (population 25,695), a town
      destroyed. On the way, they went past 10 gas stations
      before finding one with gas. Joined by a third roommate,
      Thom Wood, they headed for Athens, Ga. where Wood's sister
      "'Gas was $5.81 a gallon,' Ray said, heading out of
      Georgia. 'I've got some money, not much.'"
      "Added Nurmi, 'I was fortunate to cash my check
      before I left. We didn't have to ask our families to wire
      us money or anything.'"
      "Kristopher Benson is one of four grown children
      living in the New Orleans area near his father, Courtney
      'Ben' Benson. The homes of all four children were
      destroyed this week, Ben Benson said. The destruction
      included one house that was just built. Ben Benson's
      daughter and her husband, a Navy SEAL who had just
      returned home from Baghdad, slept in their new home only
      one night" before Katrina demolished it.
      "A member of the Coast Guard for 20 years after
      graduating from Hermantown (Minnesota) High School in
      1968, Ben Benson worked for the O'Briens Group, a crisis-
      management firm for oil and gas producers...When asked
      about his own home in the New Orleans suburb of Slidell,"
      Benson said, "'I got a report last night from the
      Sheriff's Office that I've got 11 trees on top of my
      house. One tree actually went through the house...There
      was catastrophic wind and tree damage, compounded by
      flooding. We're looking at everything as a total loss,'
      he said."
      But, as the week wore on in New Orleans, it turned
      out that Tanya Krieg-Romig, Reese Nurmi, Dallas Ray, the
      Bensons and the others who escaped were the lucky ones.
      (See USA Today for August 29, 2005, "160-mph 'monster,'"
      page 1A; and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for August 31,
      2005, "Woman fears nothing left of community," page 7A,
      and for September 3, 2005, "Survivors make their way back
      to Northland," page 8A.)


      "Buildings collapsed, floods inundated thousands of
      homes and shell-shocked, waterlogged residents retreated
      to attics and windblown roofs Monday," August 29, 2005,
      "as one of the most sweeping hurricanes of modern times
      drilled through (the USA's) Gulf Coast."
      "Because of the high water, rescuers could not
      immediately reach some of the hardest hit areas in New
      Orleans and elsewhere along the Gulf Coast."
      "'Some of them--it was their last night on Earth,'
      Terry Ebbert, chief of homeland security for New Orleans,
      said of people who ignored orders to evacuate the city of
      480,000 over the weekend. 'That's a hard way to learn a
      "'I've never been so scared,' one of the newly-
      displaced Jean Jenkins of Moss Point, Mississippi, said
      after she, her husband, their two dogs and a cat spent
      seven hours in the attic of their one-story house before
      the water receded just enough for them to leave."
      "'We didn't know if we were going to live,' said
      Diana Chavez, one of 10,000 people who spent the (first)
      night in the Superdome, a refuge of last resort that lost
      part of its roof."
      "Katrina's core roared very close to New Orleans,
      slamming eastern sections with one edge of its destructive
      eye wall, Winds of 100 miles per hour rocked the area."
      Katrina's "storm surge and torrential rain submerged
      vast areas" of southern Louisiana and the "Redneck
      Riviera," the Gulf Coast regions of Mississippi, Alabama
      and the Florida Panhandle, "with 40,000 homes flooded in
      St. Bernard Parish (Louisiana) alone."
      "Triple-digit gusts were reported in Mississippi and
      Alabama. Damage reports mounted throughout the region;
      swamped bridges, overrun beaches, boats hurled ashore,
      countless smashed windows and ripped roofs."
      "Katrina pummeled 270 miles (432 kilometers) across
      four states," from Lafayette, Louisiana to Pensacola,
      Florida, "striking particularly hard at Gulfport,
      Mississippi (population 71,277)."
      Karen Barrett of Long Beach, Miss. (population
      17,320) provided a dramatic eyewitness account of the
      hurricane's awesome fury, which was printed in the Biloxi,
      Miss. Sun-Herald.
      "I was staying with my parents, helping them out. We
      lived four houses from the beach in Long Beach, Miss. So
      we stayed there. The house had made it through
      (Hurricane) Camille (in 1969) so we knew we would be OK."
      "Wrong! I only had the twins with me, so that was
      the good part. Once the hurricane started, it did not
      "We were in the house, and it was just windy. Then,
      all of a sudden, we saw water in the yard. Within 15
      minutes, the water was up to our neck. We had put the
      kids in my Mom's shelf in her closet but everything
      started floating. The doors were buckled shut. We
      couldn't get out."
      "We then tried to get into the attic, but we knew if
      we did there was no way of getting out. By this time, the
      refrigerator had floated (away), and everything in the
      house was floating."
      "We grabbed the twins. The water in the house was up
      to our necks, and the water outside the front door was up
      past the door frame, and it looked like it was breathing
      in and out. At that point, all the windows exploded,
      shooting shards of glass everywhere. We made our way
      through all of the floating furniture to the front door."
      "We had to break (down) the front door to get out of
      the house, and all of the water rushed in. Then we had to
      break out of the porch and step off. And when we did, the
      water was up over our heads. We went under water and came
      back up. We couldn't touch the ground. I had Austin. My
      Mom had Tyler, and my Dad was ahead."
      "We had to grab branches and debris to get to the
      next house. But every time we would get closer, a wave
      would suck us back into our house. We went under water a
      few times, and I swear I thought we were gone. We got hit
      by a fridge (refrigerator--J.T.) and a van that was
      floating by, but my Dad climbed on the (neighboring)
      porch--well, what was left of it, and grabbed the kids.
      As soon as we got onto the porch, my parents' house
      collapsed with everything in it."
      "After many attempts, we got into the next house.
      The water was up to our chest but rising. My Dad found a
      tin bath tub, and we put the boys in that, but the water
      kept rising. The inside of the house was gutted, no
      walls, just supports, and it had an attic. So we climbed
      into the attic and sat there with the winds whipping at
      about 200 miles per hour for about 30 minutes. The entire
      time the kids were screaming and crying, saying they
      didn't want to die."
      "We heard cracking and popping and creaking and, all
      of a sudden, the entire front half of the roof flew off,
      and there was a huge suction. We quickly moved further
      back in a little corner of the attic and, for two hours,
      we sat there, huddled in a ball, watching parts of the
      roof fly off and watching tree limbs fly by next to our
      heads and houses float by. It was one of the most
      horrifying things I have ever seen. There were dead
      bodies floating by."
      "No one can even fathom by seeing on TV what is
      happening here. Once the water receded, we climbed down
      from the attic with the wind still whipping everywhere and
      climbed over a quarter of a mile of debris to a road where
      there were police."
      "When we got there, they told us to go back to our
      house. We said, 'We have no house! It's gone!'"
      "Then some dirty old toothless rednecks in a truck
      covered in rebel (Confederate) flags picked us up in the
      back of their truck and took us to the Sea Bee base. My
      Dad's retired Navy. We lost our dog, which we had, but it
      was either the dog or the kids."
      (Editor's Comment: No Federal Emergency Management
      Agency available. No Department of Homeland Security. No
      Mississippi State Police. So, who finally rescues the
      Barrett family? The Dukes of Hazzard! I love it!)
      "It is Hell here. There are dead bodies everywhere.
      People are shooting at police, stealing everything. It's
      a nightmare. The TV is not showing you half of it."
      "My brother came and got me, my Mom, my Dad and the
      twins this afternoon and brought us to Pensacola
      (Florida). So we are here now. We have absolutely
      nothing to our names but we have our lives, so that's
      what's important...People do not appreciate the small
      things till you have NOTHING!"
      During the hurricane, experiences like Karen
      Barrett's were repeated thousands of times over throughout
      the stricken four-state region. (See the Duluth, Minn.
      News-Tribune for August 30, 2005, "Storm leaves thousands
      homeless," page 1A and the Biloxi, Miss. Sun-Herald for
      September 2, 2005, "Online pleas, posts illustrate
      hurricane's human toll," page 1.)


      In Mel Gibson's 1985 film Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome,
      the law was enforced in Bordertown's massive arena. At
      the Thunderdome, "two men enter; one man leaves," as trial
      by chainsaw combat determined the outcome of court cases.
      Last week, at New Orleans' Superdome, it was 60,000
      enter, no one leaves, and people were killing each other
      with everything but chainsaws.
      What began as "the refuge of last resort," with the
      Superdome opened to admit refugees from Hurricane Katrina
      on Monday, August 29, 2005, had by mid-week degenerated
      into sheer anarchy.
      "They lined up by the thousands, clutching meager
      belongings and crying children. A few hours later, the
      power went out, turning the building into a hot and bloody
      mess. Then part of the roof blew off."
      "For an estimated 8,000 to 9,000 refugees--many of
      them poor and frail--the Louisiana Superdome was a welcome
      shelter from Hurricane Katrina, but an uncomfortable one
      at the same time."
      "Superdome and government emergency officials
      stressed that they did not expect the huge roof to fail
      because of the relatively small breaches, each about 15 to
      20 feet (4.5 to 6 meters) long and 4 to 5 feet (1.3 to 1.5
      meters) wide."
      "Refugees sitting below the holes were moved away
      from any falling debris, said Doug Thornton, regional
      manager of the company that manages the huge arena."
      "In addition to the two holes, water was leaking in
      through many other areas, including elevators and
      stairwells, as the wind forced water in through any small
      opening. Across Poydrass Street, numerous shattered
      windows were visible on high-rise office buildings."
      By Wednesday, August 31, 2005, however, "the bulk of
      the city's refugees were in and around the Superdome,
      which has become a shelter of last resort for more than
      20,000 people. Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco said
      conditions there had become desperate, with food, water
      and other supplies running out, with toilets overflowing
      and the air foul, with temperatures hitting 100 degrees
      (Fahrenheit) and tempers flaring."
      "'It's becoming untenable,' the governor said.
      'There's no power. It's getting more difficult to get
      food and water supplies in, just basic essentials."
      "The governor ordered New Orleans abandoned beginning
      today (Thursday, September 1, 2005), with 350 buses
      shuttling at least 25,000 people--no homes, no jobs, no
      possessions--from the Superdome and elsewhere in the city
      to Houston's 40-year-old Astrodome."
      However, WWL-TV reported that "there may now be
      60,000 people in the Superdome and that more people are
      still being urged to go there...Numerous media reports
      indicate that refugees are not allowed to leave the
      Superdome. The Superdome is now a prison. Tens of
      thousands of Americans are trapped in a 21st Century FEMA
      concentration camp."
      By Friday, September 2, 2005, the Superdome resembled
      the set of a Mad Max movie. "There is nothing to correct
      wild reports that armed gangs have taken over. That two
      babies had their throats slit in the night. That a 7-
      year-old girl was raped and killed at the Superdome."
      "One officer calls these human cattle yards 'lawless
      countries unto themselves.'"
      "After several days in the street with little water
      and less food, people around the convention center began
      imagining that the storm was somehow a vehicle for ethnic
      "One black man insists that authorities want everyone
      corralled into the convention center--not to facilitate an
      orderly evacuation, but so police can ignite the gas and
      blow them up."
      "'They want us all crazy so they can shoot us down
      like dogs!' a woman shouts."
      "Officer Kirk LeBranche cowered on the roof of his
      flooded hotel in New Orleans for three days as the
      nighttime hours became a shooting gallery."
      "'Anarchy and chaos,' he said, 'People are
      "Officers deserted their posts. Many of them lost
      everything but their lives to the storm, and they refuse
      to gamble those on a seemingly lost city." (See the
      Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for September 1, 2005, "It's
      time to flee," page 1A; the Minneapolis, Minn. Star-
      Tribune for September 3, 2005, "Pockets of civility arise
      amid chaos," page A11; and the WWL-TV news broadcast for
      August 31, 2005, "60,000 trapped in FEMA's Superdome
      concentration camp." Many thanks to Bob Liggett for the
      broadcast transcript.)


      "A charter bus carrying between 30 to 40 weary
      Hurricane Katrina refugees who had spent the last five
      days stranded in the Superdome flipped and crashed while
      heading to shelter in northern Louisiana on Interstate
      (Highway) 49 Friday," September 2, 2005, "killing at least
      one person and causing injuries to several others."
      "The accident happened around 3:30 p.m. when a
      passenger struggled with the driver and grabbed the wheel
      after demanding to get off the bus, according to Opelousas
      (Louisiana) Police Lt. Mark LeBlanc. LeBlanc said the
      police believe the one confirmed death was the man who
      grabbed the wheel."
      "Police did not release the names of the dead and
      injured as of Friday evening."
      "The injured were taken to Opelousas area hospitals
      for treatment."
      "Minutes following the accident, bloodied and
      confused passengers were spread out along a stretch of
      grass, just yards (meters) from where the bus still lay on
      its side. Some were too hurt to move, calling for help."
      "Clara Scheckenberg, an 80-year-old minister, was
      sitting in the grass near the accident scene with a
      swollen, blackened ankle and a stunned look on her face.
      'I just dozed off to sleep. We assumed we'd hit a bump,'
      she said, 'We flipped over and over.'"
      "The bus was one of five tour buses loaded with
      evacuees from New Orleans headed north."
      "Trooper Willie Williams, public information officer
      for Louisiana State Police Troop 1, confirmed 'numerous
      injuries, some critical, some serious' and the one death.
      The body appeared to be a black man in his late 30s or
      early 40s."
      Fortean researcher Loren Coleman noted that Opelousas
      was named for an indigenous people of Louisiana who had
      the curious custom of "painting their legs black," a fair
      description of Ms. Schekenbeg's injury.
      Opelousas, La. is on Highway 182 approximately 13
      miles north of Lafayette, Louisiana.
      "There's plenty of magickal symbolism in this one,"
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor commented, "The accident
      occurred at 3:30. Note the presence of the Masonic 'magic
      number' 33. And the crash was 13 miles north of
      Lafayette. Chalk up this one to the Fayette Factor."
      (See the Opelousas, La. Daily World for September 3, 2005.
      Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this newspaper article.)


      It was Wednesday, August 31, 2005, at 3 a.m., when
      the Northern Command (NORTHCOM), based at Peterson Air
      Force Base in Colorado, got the word from the Pentagon--
      the city of New Orleans had been placed under martial law.
      While not exactly a terrorist attack, Judge Michael
      Chertoff, head of the Department of Homeland Security,
      pronounced the disaster in New Orleans "an event of
      national significance," and control of the deteriorating
      situation passed to NORTHCOM.
      Immediately the U.S. Department of Defense
      "established Joint Task Force Katrina to act as the
      military's on-scene command in support of" the Federal
      Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)." Earmarked for
      service in New Orleans were rescue teams and medical
      evacuation units, a hospital ship and disaster response
      The U.S. Navy sent eight warships to the Gulf of
      Mexico, along with 50 helicopters and eight Swift river
      rescue boats.
      "Though stretched by the wars in Afghanistan and
      Iraq, the Pentagon said that 11,000 National Guard members
      were at the disposal of governors to help with security
      and law enforcement."
      Later that Wednesday, the Pentagon announced that "it
      would add 11,000 National Guard soldiers from around the
      country (USA) to areas of Louisiana and Mississippi
      ravaged by Hurricane Katrina. A combination of troop
      callups and recruiting problems has left the two states
      with fewer of their own troops to provide aid."
      At present, the Louisiana National Guard has 2,689
      soldiers in Iraq and 6,509 stationed at home. The
      Mississippi National Guard has 2,910 soldiers in Iraq,
      with another 304 in Afghanistan, leaving 6,442 at home.
      "The problem for Louisiana and Mississippi isn't how
      many troops are in Iraq, but rather the kind of soldiers
      who are there, said Dave McGinnis, a military analyst who
      specializes in National Guard personnel issues."
      "'It's combat brigades, which are the types of units
      you need in these situations,' he said. Combat brigades--
      large self-sustaining units of about 3,000 troops--have
      the vehicles, communications equipment and structure to
      cope best with a natural disaster."
      "Among the Guard troops headed to the (Gulf Coast)
      region from 13 states are truck drivers, communications
      experts and soldiers trained in purifying water, a
      critical need."
      "Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke said National Guard troops
      from West Virginia, Washington D.C., Utah, New Mexico,
      Missouri, Oklahoma, Washington state, Indiana, Georgia,
      Kentucky, Michigan and Arkansas have been sent to the
      stricken region or are awaiting deployment orders."
      "More than 1,100 Guardsmen from Missouri, including
      Military Police units, reported deployment orders
      Thursday," September 1, 2005.
      Approximately "2,500 troops from the Pennsylvania
      National Guard were preparing to deploy."
      Another "300 had been called up from South Carolina."
      "Kansas reported 120 Guardsmen would be sent."
      "California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said his
      state would send 500 Guard troops."
      "The Texas National Guard said it had dispatched
      1,000 soldiers and airmen to New Orleans and plans to send
      more in the coming days."
      Also on Thursday, the Navy announced that "the
      aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman was heading to the Gulf
      Coast to serve as a floating command center" for Joint
      Task Force Katrina.
      Despite the impressive military buildup, gangs of
      looters continued their rampage in New Orleans' downtown
      and French Quarter districts.
      A heavy firefight took place in Algiers, La., a New
      Orleans suburb, on Wednesday. One man reported on the
      Web: "My brother, Kent Bevolo, is trapped in Algiers, near
      the ferry, by an armed mob. Several busloads (school
      buses stolen by looters--J.T.) of armed terrorists are
      driving through the surrounding neighborhood in broad
      daylight, robbing and shooting all in their path. Is
      there any help out there? Is this America? How can this
      happen in our own backyards?"
      A teenaged girl reported, "Sixteen people, including
      my friend Cassie, are trapped in a warehouse behind the
      Thrift City/Rock 'n' Bowl shopping center. Conditions are
      very bad. The people inside have banded together and were
      taking turns to go two-by-two to get food from the
      shopping center. The last two people they sent out never
      came back. And they don't know why."
      "Before dawn Friday," September 2, 2005, "the French
      Quarter was rocked by explosions. A few miles down (the
      Mississippi) river, railroad tanker cars erupted in a
      tornado of flame, showering the flooded neighborhood with
      black soot and casting a pall of black over the city--as
      if New Orleans isn't already under one."
      "A police officer said snipers fired on workers sent
      in to fight the fire. They stood down and watched it
      A few hours later, "when the cavalry arrived in New
      Orleans, a cigar-chomping three-star general led the way."
      "Lt. Gen. Russell Honore is commander of the First
      Army, based at Fort Gillem in Atlanta (Georgia).
      Normally, he overseas training for all deploying troops on
      the (USA's) East Coast."
      "For the time being, the Lousiana native is the man
      in charge on the front line in New Orleans."
      "Honore is winning over some of the government's
      harshest critics, including New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin."
      "'He came off the doggone chopper, and he started
      cussing, and people started moving,' Nagin told a radio
      station" in Louisiana.
      "The general was careful to show he was leading a
      humanitarian relief mission in his home state."
      "'Put those (expletive) weapons down!' he yelled to
      Gen. Honore "repeatedly told soldiers and police to
      point their guns down, reminding them that they were 'not
      in Iraq.'"
      "During last year's 'Hurricane Blitz' in Florida,
      there were 'latrine rumors' about the Mouse Line, a plan
      to place the southern half of Florida under martial law,"
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said. "It sure looks
      like, this time, somebody drew the Mouse Line clean from
      the Texas border to the Alabama border, cordoning off 31
      parishes in Louisiana and 15 Gulf counties in Mississippi.
      These have been the areas of heaviest disturbance, with
      widespread looting in New Orleans and some looting in
      Gulfport and Biloxi, Miss., both of which were destroyed
      by Katrina."
      "One mystery remains, however. How far in advance
      was this operation planned? On Monday, August 22, 2005,
      UFO Roundup received a puzzling email from 'Olive Oyl,'
      one of our readers in uniform. 'Olive' and her fellow
      WAVES were planning to attend a party in Key West, Florida
      when they got the news that their liberty had been
      cancelled. She wrote, 'We were planning to head down to
      Key West this weekend and get hammered. Then the Old Man
      said there was no liberty during September and October.
      What's going on, Joe?' Then I heard that all leaves had
      been cancelled in the Army. No details, darn it. Just
      vague talk about 'something big going on.' This was a
      week before Hurricane Katrina."
      "Was this Mouse Line caper planned after last year's
      hurricane blitz? Or was it a little more recent? Stay
      tuned." (See USA Today for September 1, 2005, "Pentagon
      to send 10,000 National Guard troops from other states,"
      page 5A; the Minneapolis, Minn. Star-Tribune for September
      3, 2005, "If you scream on the Web, does anybody hear
      you?" page A16; the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for
      September 3, 2005, "Hell," page 8A, and for September 1,
      2005, "Katrina's devastation,' page 7A, and for September
      5, 2005, "General roars into town," page 7A.)


      Hurricane Katrina now has the unenviable distinction
      of being the biggest natural disaster ever to hit the USA,
      with a death toll estimated at 10,000.
      By comparison, the hurricane that struck Galveston,
      Texas in 1900 killed 6,000 people, and the Mississippi
      River floods of 1927 killed fewer than that.
      As in every major disaster, people wonder why it
      happened, and what the Almighty had in mind when he or she
      allowed it to happen.
      In Jerusalem News Wire of August 29, 2005, Rev. Stan
      Goodenough wrote, "On August 14 (2005), citizens in the
      United States, like people around the world, heard about
      the issuing of an order for the forced evacuation of Jews
      from parts of Israel's biblical land. For six days, they
      watched as thousands of weeping people were pulled and
      shoved from their homes, forced to leave their gardens,
      public communities, schools, towns and synagogues they had
      been occupying for decades. These scenes were soon
      followed by pictures of bulldozers and other earth-moving
      vehicles pulverizing the just-vacated homes into heaps of
      debris. While this was taking place, a tropical
      depression was forming near
      the Bahamas in the Atlantic Ocean."
      "Is this some sort of bizarre coincidence? Not for
      those who believe in the God of the Bible and the
      immutability of His word. What America is about to
      experience is the lifting of God's hand of protection; the
      implementation of His judgement as the nation most
      responsible for" putting pressure upon "the land and the
      people of Israel. The Bible talks about him shaking his
      fist over bodies of water and striking them."
      Other evangelicals noted that Hurricane Katrina came
      ashore right after the U.S. Air Force "released new
      guidelines for religious tolerance Monday (August 29,
      2005) that discourage public prayer at official (military)
      functions and urge commanders to be sensitive about
      personal expressions of religious faith."
      "The document directs chaplains to 'respect the
      rights of others to their own religious beliefs, including
      the right to hold no beliefs.'"
      "Rob Boston, spokesman for Americans United for
      Separation of Church and State, and Abraham Foxman, head
      of the New York-based Anti-Defamation League (ADL) both
      said the big question now is how the rules will be
      "'The guidelines say all the right things,' Foxman
      said, 'They raise all the issues that were raised as
      problems at the Air Force Academy.'"
      (Editor's Note: During the last few months, students
      and faculty at the Academy complained that they were being
      harassed by evangelical Christians.)
      "They want to stop born-again Christians from
      witnessing for Jesus," said Pastor Gary Nicholson of the
      Gospel Doctrine Church. "Come quickly, Lord Jesus. Save
      us from the New World Order."
      Another clergyman blamed homosexuality in New Orleans
      for the calamity.
      "Just days before 'Southern Decadence,' an annual
      homosexual celebration attracting tens of thousands of
      people to the French Quarter section of New Orleans, an
      act of God destroyed the city."
      "'Southern Decadence' has a history of filling the
      French Quarter of the city with drunken homosexuals
      engaging in sex acts in public streets and bars. Last
      year (2004), a local pastor sent video footage of sex acts
      being performed in front of police to the mayor, City
      Council and others. City officials simply ignored the
      footage and continued to praise the unhealthy celebration
      as 'an exciting event.'"
      "However, Hurricane Katrina put an end to the annual
      celebration of sin."
      "Last year, 'Southern Decadence' brought '125,000
      revelers' to New Orleans, increasing by thousands each
      year, up from 'around 50,000 revelers' in 1997."
      "'Although the deaths of tens of thousands is
      extremely saddening, this act of God destroyed a wicked
      city,' said Repent America director Michael Marcavage,
      'From Girls Gone Wild to Southern Decadence, New Orleans
      was a city that ignored its laws" and made possible "the
      public celebration of sin. May it never be the same.'"
      "I have been all through that Bible, and I have yet
      to find the passages where it says 'Drown New Orleans' or
      'Kill the president of Venezuela,'" said UFO Roundup
      editor Joseph Trainor. "I did find an item of interest in
      Matthew 5:45, in which Jesus is quoted as saying, 'In that
      way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in
      heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and
      the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust,
      too.'" (Many thanks to Loren Coleman, Rose Flaherty, Tony
      Gilman and Mike Slayton for these news items.)


      "Hurricane Katrina's storm surge--the wall of water
      it pushed ashore when it struck the Gulf Coast on Monday,"
      August 29, 2005, "was the highest ever measured in the
      United States, scientists said Wednesday," August 31,
      "Dr. Stephen Leatherman, director of the
      International Hurricane Research Center at Florida
      International University, said the surge at Bay St. Louis,
      Mississippi was 29 feet (8.9 meters)."
      "Scientists from Louisiana State University, using
      different mathematical models, said their estimate was
      lower--25 feet (8.1 meters)."
      "Either way, this hurricane easily surpassed the
      previous record, the 22-foot (7.3 meter) surge of
      Hurricane Camille, which struck in 1969 near Pass
      Christian, Mississippi, a few miles east of Bay St.
      "Leatherman said scientists from Florida
      International and the University of Florida gathered wind
      data from towers they set up along the hurricane's
      projected path just before it struck. They used this data
      and previous measurements of the topography of the ocean
      floor and the nearby land to calculate the height of the
      (storm) surge."
      However, no one could explain why Katrina, a Category
      4 hurricane, had a storm surge much higher than Camille, a
      Category 5 storm.
      Another mystery was the jamming of ham radio
      operators in New Orleans during and immediately after the
      hurricane. According to researcher Wayne Madsden, "ham
      radio operators were reporting that communications in and
      around New Orleans were being jammed. Perplexed ham
      operators who were contacted by the federal government
      during 911 (the destruction of the World Trade Center in
      New York City on September 11, 2001--J.T.) said they were
      not being asked to assist during Hurricane Katrina."
      On Wednesday, August 31, 2005, WWL-TV in Louisiana
      interviewed New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, who said "that
      the National Guard's Blackhawk helicopter carrying
      sandbags to plug the hole in the levee on 17th Street
      Canal was diverted to rescue missions. Nagin said he
      called the governor, and that he and other state officials
      are unsuccessfully trying to get through to the White
      House to ask if the people in Washington know what they're

      >From the UFO Files...


      Not since Princess Diana was killed in Paris eight
      years ago have "urban legends" grown so quickly as in the
      aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
      Here are a handful of the ones your editor has
      encountered so far.
      (1) Jaws in Jackson Square - A young black woman
      decided to wade across flooded Jackson Square in downtown
      New Orleans. She was wearing a sleeveless silk blouse,
      Daisy Dukes (tightfitting denim shorts--J.T.) and knee-
      high reddish-brown boots. The water in the square was
      waist-deep. As she was halfway to Andrew Jackson's
      statue, she felt something scrape her knee. Figuring it
      was just underwater debris, she changed direction and
      continued walking. A couple of minutes later, she felt
      something scrape the back of her thigh. Again she changed
      direction. Then it felt like something got tangled in her
      boot. She managed to kick free. Two minutes later, the
      other boot encountered some debris. Despite her energetic
      kicks, it clung tightly. Then, suddenly, her boot was
      I'll never make it across with all this debris, she
      thought. Then she heard a splash behind her. Turning,
      she saw a triangular fin swimming away, heading for St.
      Ann Street. A shark! She let out a scream that could've
      been heard in Pascagoula, Mississippi.
      Some men waded out to get her and helped her reach
      the statue's pedestal. They found teeth marks all over the
      woman's leather boots. Apparently, the shark had mistaken
      the woman's boots for tropical fish and had tried to eat
      (2) The 'Manburger' Stand - A few days after Katrina,
      two guys opened a hamburger stand at the corner of
      Progress Street and Loyola Avenue. They were offering
      fresh food at "special bargain-basement hurricane prices"-
      -$10 for a fresh-cooked burger and $20 for a quarter-
      pounder. Passersby began to wonder how these guys could
      offer "fresh meat" in a city where there had been no
      electricity and no refrigeration for days and where the
      daytime temperature was near 100 degrees Fahrenheit. So
      they called the police.
      Investigating officers became suspicious when the
      vendor asked, "Would you like white meat or dark meat?"
      and it wasn't even Thanksgiving.
      (3) If It Floats, It Fries - Early one morning, just
      after Katrina, people on Bourbon Street heard mysterious
      explosions. They called police, who came down the flooded
      street in a motorboat. The cops saw a stick of dynamite
      come out of a second-story window and land in the water.
      KA-BOOM! A geyser foamed upward, followed by passel of
      fish floating belly-up in the choppy water. The cops went
      inside to arrest the "terrorist," only to find out it was
      some good-old-boy "redneck fisherman" from Tangipahoa
      Parish getting his breakfast the usual way.
      (4) Now That's A Fan - In Arabi, Louisiana
      (population 8,093), a 300-pound (150-kilogram)
      transvestite was found floating facedown in the
      Mississippi River, apparently having drifted downstream
      from New Orleans. What a surprise at the parish coroner's
      office when they found a tattoo of Lindsay Lohan's face on
      the deceased's rear end.
      (5) Politics As Usual - Judge Michael Chertoff, the
      USA's director of homeland security, fired Gov. Kathleen
      Blanco and appointed Britney Spears as the provisional
      governor of Louisiana.
      There must be more. Send your Katrina "urban
      legends" to UFO Roundup at this email address:

      Well, that's it for this week. The news from Mars
      and Saturn will have to wait until we're back in seven
      days with more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from all
      around the planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that
      goes home--UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news
      items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news
      groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
      item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Home to UFO Roundup, Encounters With Aliens On This Day,
      AUFORN Australian UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI
      Magazine plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports
      (Albert Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK and more...
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.