Re: [UFOnet] Fwd: Explaining Those Vivid Memories of Martian Kidnappers - New York Times

  • Roger Anderton
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
      The sceptics try to explain away alien abductions as being experienced by a
      certain psychological profile, which they call fantasy prone; that would
      correspond to what you are asking about visualisers; i.e. their claim is
      that abductees are fantasy-prone/visualisers and the experience is not real.

      There is a recent survey claiming this, extending the idea of fantasy-prone
      personalities in with victims of sleep disorder; presumably some
      fantasy-prone/visualisers suffer from sleep disorder and some
      fantasy-prone/visualisers do not:

      Alien abduction stories brought down to earth
      By David Derbyshire, Science Correspondent, in
      Denver
      (Filed: 18/02/2003)

      People who believe that they were abducted by aliens
      are victims of a sleep disorder, an American study suggests. The disorder
      may also account for visitations by angels, demons and vampires.

      A personality profile of "abducted" people showed
      that almost all suffered from sleep paralysis, a condition in which
      terrifying sensations and sinister figures from the world of dreams intrude
      upon the waking brain. They suffered symptoms of post traumatic stress
      similar to those of Vietnam veterans.

      According to some polls, tens of thousands of
      Americans claim to have encountered aliens, a phenomenon explored in Steven
      Spielberg's television series Taken.

      Dr Richard McNally, a psychologist at Harvard
      University, studied 10 adults who claimed to have been kidnapped by
      extra-terrestrials. Most were firm believers in tarot cards and astral
      projection and were prone to fantasy. But, significantly, they had all
      suffered episodes of sleep paralysis.

      During REM, or rapid eye movement sleep, the body is
      unable to move. About 30 per cent of people suffer from sleep paralysis,
      from which they wake up and are partially conscious of being paralysed.

      Five per cent of people also experience waking
      hallucinations. Sufferers can see figures in the room, flashing lights,
      experience feelings of levitation or simply a sinister presence. Eight of
      the 10 people who thought they had been abducted had consulted "experts" in
      recovered memory to find out more about their experiences.

      During these sessions they began to recollect more
      details. Many studies have shown that attempts to recover supposedly lost
      memories can plant false memories.

      Dr McNally said: "When you piece together the New
      Age beliefs, the hallucinations, the fantasy proneness and get a little help
      from the memory recovery folks, you have yourself an alien abduction."

      Psychologists have argued that sleep paralysis and
      hallucinations can explain many paranormal phenomenon.

      "In Newfoundland, it's called being visited by the
      Old Hag," said Dr McNally. "In southern United States, it's being ridden by
      the witch. In Europe in the Middle Ages, it's the incubus and succubus. In
      Cambridge, Massachusetts, it's space aliens."

      The volunteers were also asked to write an account
      of their abduction and then listen to a 30-second tape of their memories
      while their heart rates and perspiration levels were monitored.

      "Heart rate and skin conductance responses were at
      least as great in alien abductees when they heard memories of being abducted
      and molested by aliens as people with genuine traumatic events."

      Leader: Mind monsters

      Robotic head under your skin

      Phantom events remembered

      Scientists show the dissent of man

      connected.telegraph

      Newsroom - American Association for the
      Advancement of Science

      Starship memories [31 Oct '02] - Harvard
      University Gazette

      © Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.

      at:
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/02/18/waa18.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/02/18/ixnewstop.html