Fwd: UFO UpDate: Philip J. Klass 1919-2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2005
      ------- Forwarded message -------
      From: "UFO UpDates - Toronto" <ufoupdates@...>
      Subject: UFO UpDate: Philip J. Klass 1919-2005
      Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:06:53 +0200

      From: Matthew James Didier <matthew@...>
      To: UFO UpDates - Toronto <ufoupdates@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:52:43 -0400
      Subject: Philip J. Klass 1919-2005

      [Non-subscriber post]

      Source: http://www.psican.org/messagecentre/viewtopic.php?t=453

      08-11-05

      Phil Klass, senior editor at Aviation Week and Space Technology
      for 35 years, fellow of CSICOP, and arch sceptdebunker of UFO
      phenomena has passed at the age of 86.

      Interestingly enough, Klass, despite his editorial job, was not
      a pilot which led many to 'question' his authority on much...
      especially his interest in Ufology. His stances on many issues
      within paranormal studies were untenable at best. His constant
      whining and bothering of many Ufologists was legendary... To the
      end, Klass was the epitome of the word "Sceptdebunker" and set a
      standard for many who've tried to follow in his footsteps.

      Jim Moseley of Saucer Smear fame put it best when he said
      Ufology needed Klass as "Every great religion needs it's Satan."
      Now that the original Satan is gone, I'm sure another will
      attempt to rise in his place... but no one will match the status
      that Klass attended.

      To give "Satan" his due, though, at least Klass showed up to the
      party. He attended many UFO conventions and even lectured at a
      few (on the side of sceptdebunkerisms) unlike many of his
      colleagues in CSICOP.

      Klass will undoubtedly be sorely missed by a small few in
      Ufology, and his passing will also, undoubtedly, be celebrated
      by an equally small contingent... but in the end, I do believe
      the majority in the field will realise with his passing, the
      study has reached the end of an era.

      -- -- -- -- -- --

      As a side note, Klass even made a small contribution to my own
      ghost site with an article based on "The Klass Kurse". See
      http://www.torontoghosts.org/scienceandklass.htm

      The Last Will And Testament Of Philip J. Klass:

      To ufologists who publicly criticize me... or who even think
      unkind thoughts about me in private, I do hereby leave an
      bequeath:

      The UFO Curse:

      No matter how long you live you will never know any more about
      UFOs than you know today. You will never know any more about
      what UFOs really are, or where they come from. You will never
      know any more about what the U.S. Government really knows about
      UFOs than you know today. As you lie on your own death-bed, you
      will be as mystified about UFOs as you are today. And you will
      remember this curse.

      Matthew James Didier - Founder of the Toronto
      Ghost and Hauntings Research Societies

      Scientia est Potentia

      http://www.torontoghosts.org/

      matthew@...

      -----

      "Phil died at his home in Maryland last night, after a long
      illness. Whatever the truth is about UFOs, aliens, or life after
      death, Phil Klass now knows that truth."

      --http://www.ufomag.com/

      \_______________________________________________/

      UFO UpDates - Toronto - ufoupdates@...
      A UFO & Related Phenomena E-Mail List operated by
      Errol Bruce-Knapp

      UFO UpDates Archives are available at
      The Virtually Strange Network:

      http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/

      To unsubscribe send a message to this address with
      'Unsubscribe' in the Subject: line

      Sign the International Petition for UFO Information Disclosure

      http://www.virtuallystrange.net/petition

      Listen to 'Strange Days... Indeed'
      Saturday night at 21:00 Eastern on
      NewsTalk 1010 CFRB - Toronto http://www.cfrb.com