Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
      July 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/July_2005/199.cntns

      Welcome to the July 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Microsoft, UFOs and Aliens

      I have been asked to judge a competition being run by Microsoft. MSN
      Spaces are inviting people to submit a picture (real or fake) of a UFO or
      alien, and follow the clues to track down the location of a hidden UFO
      base. Prizes include a holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA
      Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and the
      trendy new Qee toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details,
      or enter the phrase MSN Space Race into Google.

      Crop Circle Conference 2005

      On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
      on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
      recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
      speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
      Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
      formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
      details.

      Glastonbury Symposium 2005

      The other big crop circle conference is the annual Glastonbury Symposium.
      This will be held on July 22, 23 and 24 in the Town Hall at Glastonbury,
      and speakers include Andy Thomas, Robin Heath, John Michell, Marcus Allen
      and Sir Laurence Gardner. Check out www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk for
      further details.

      Crop Circles and The Sun

      Top UK tabloid The Sun put a crop circle on its front page on June 10.
      Under the headline Aliens Back Our Bid, the newspaper featured a formation
      in the shape of the Olympic symbol. The Sun was behind the stunt, and
      admitted they had commissioned the making of the formation, but it was a
      timely reminder of the enduring power of crop circle imagery, and the
      extent to which this is now part of popular culture.

      The War of the Worlds

      The must see movie of the summer, The War of the Worlds, is now on general
      release here in the UK. It remains to be seen whether such a Hollywood
      blockbuster will

      Exopolitics

      Alfred Lambremont Webre has authored a book entitled Exopolitics. His
      involvement with the study of the UFO phenomenon includes work with the
      Carter Administration and the prestigious Stanford Research Institute.
      Exopolitics is a controversial part of ufology, which attempts to define
      the position of humanity in a Universe populated with other intelligent
      civilisations. Check out http://www.exopolitics.com/ for details of the
      subject, and
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0973766301/qid=1119385731/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance&s=books
      for details of the book. Alternatively, key the word Exopolitics into
      Google or Amazon. Subtitled Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe,
      this book is bound to be controversial.

      The Secret History of Lucifer

      A fascinating book by top paranormal and esoteric author Lynn Picknett
      threatens to challenge everything you thought you knew about Lucifer.
      People expecting satanic revelations will be disappointed, because it
      seems the devil has been much maligned. Lucifer, Lynn suggests, has far
      more to do with Goddess worship, pagan rituals and enlightenment than
      anything evil. The subtitle Evil Angel or the Secret of Life Itself well
      illustrates the debate at the heart of this book. Check out
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671560X/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance
      for further details of the book, or search for the title on Google. And
      stand by for fireworks when this controversial book falls into the hands
      of the fundamentalist, patriarchal Christians that Lynn so despises. A
      more comprehensive review of this extraordinary, interesting,
      well-researched and controversial book will appear next month.

      Alien Abduction Study

      As mentioned in my column last month, the scientific study into the alien
      abduction phenomenon carried out by Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths
      College, University of London, has now been completed. I had a meeting
      with Chris and his team at the outset of the project, discussing
      methodology. I also helped promote the study and encouraged abductees I
      had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and Chris gave
      an overview of the study at a conference held at Liverpool Hope University
      College on Saturday June 4. Check out
      http://www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of
      this talk. The full report on the abduction study will be ready shortly.
      Chris forwarded me a copy of his paper, but asked me not to post it for
      now, as this might cause problems with subsequent publication in
      scientific journals. He did, however, say that I could post a summary of
      the paper. I am wary of this, as I am not a scientist, but I think I can
      safely say the following. The study involved 19 abductees (8 male, 11
      female) and a control group matched by age and gender. The study looked
      for postulated psychological differences between the two groups, for
      differences in susceptibility to false memories and for differences in ESP
      and PK abilities. Significant differences were found in areas such as
      tendency to hallucinate, absorption and dissociative tendencies. The
      results were less clear on fantasy-proneness, while no significant
      differences were found on susceptibility to false memory. Greater
      incidence of sleep paralysis was found among the abductees, though it was
      acknowledged that this might be a symptom of, and not an explanation for,
      alien abduction. The tests on paranormal abilities did not appear to show
      any significant differences, though there was one apparent difference on
      the clairvoyance test, which I am attempting to clarify. Once the paper
      has been published in scientific journals, I will feature a more detailed
      analysis in this column.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 7, 2005
        August 2005

        Weird World
        NICK POPE

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2005/208.cntns

        Welcome to the August 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
        weird and the wonderful.

        MSN Space Race

        There is still time to enter the UFO competition being run by Microsoft.
        Have you got a photograph of a UFO? Have you managed to take a picture of
        an alien? If not, do you think you could fake one good enough to fool the
        experts? And can you follow the clues to track down the location of a
        hidden UFO base? I have been asked to judge this competition, as has
        former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. The prizes include a
        holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA Space Center at Cape
        Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and lots of trendy new Qee
        toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details, or enter the
        phrase MSN Space Race into Google. The venture has been widely reported in
        the national media, but please, do not believe some of the bizarre
        conspiracy theories circulating on the internet. This is not a ruse on the
        part of British intelligence to gather information about ufologists, or to
        amass a collection of UFO photographs previously outside our control. It
        is a fun competition for UFO witnesses or people with an interest in the
        subject.

        War Of The Worlds

        If you only see one movie this summer, make sure you see this sensational
        sci-fi blockbuster. Spielberg is back to his best, Cruise is superb and
        the special effects are ... out of this world. I gave a brief interview
        about the possibility of a real war of the worlds a sci-fi supplement that
        appears in the current issue of the film magazine Empire. But please, with
        all movies like this, see it on the big screen at the cinema. Enjoy!

        Beagle 2 Inquest

        The chances of Beagle 2 succeeding on Mars were a million to one, but
        still ... sorry. Joking aside, the powerful Public Accounts Committee have
        published a critical report into the much publicised failure of the Beagle
        2 mission, citing poor risk management, last minute technical changes,
        over ambitious timescales and funding uncertainties as reasons for the
        failure.

        Conspiracies

        I hope regular readers of this column have caught the new series of
        Conspiracies. Broadcast on Sky One on Sunday evenings at 9pm, the second
        series of this show has delved into some intriguing areas, including Waco
        and the Lockerbie bomb. One of the programmes in the second series will
        relate to UFOs, so watch this space.

        Haunted Homes

        Do you have a ghost in your house? If you do, a new TV series wants to
        hear from you. If you believe you are living with a paranormal presence
        and want it investigated, email gemmachapman@... and give
        the details. A psychic and other paranormal experts are involved with the
        Haunted Homes TV show, which is a new series being developed for ITV.

        Crop Circle Conference 2005

        On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
        on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
        recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
        speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
        Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
        formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
        details.

        North Wales

        A new website has been set up concentrating on UFO sightings in North
        Wales. The area has seen a number of fascinating UFO sightings over the
        years, and the website covers an interesting mix of UFO and abduction
        related material, including information on some famous Welsh cases such as
        the Berwyn Mountain crash, the Broadhaven Triangle, strange activity on
        Denbigh Moor and the UFO sightings at Great Orme, one of the top ten UFO
        hotspots in the UK. Check out www.nwalesufos.com for details of this new
        but fast growing website.

        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
          September 2005

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          Welcome to the September 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
          weird and the wonderful.

          Metro - 60 Second Interview

          On 10 August I appeared in Metro, the popular free newspaper read by most
          London commuters. I was featured in their regular 60 Second Interview
          slot, and used the opportunity to tell people about my time on the
          Ministry of Defence UFO Project. I was also pictured on the front cover,
          which I had not expected. This is a tremendously high-profile feature -
          other recent interviewees include Norman Cook and Sandra Bullock - so was
          a wonderful opportunity to promote ufology and the paranormal more
          generally. Click on http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/
          interview.html%3Fin_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1144 to see the interview in
          its entirety.

          Forbidden Knowledge

          One of the biggest esoteric conferences ever held in the UK will be held
          on Saturday 1 July 2006. Speakers include Alan Alford, Andrew Collins,
          Michael Cremo, Paul Devereux, Philip Gardiner, Lionel Fanthorpe, Gary
          Osborn, Karen Ralls and myself. The conference will be held at Kings Hall
          in Stoke on Trent and is already attracting massive interest from all
          those interested in forbidden knowledge, Earth mysteries, the paranormal,
          mysticism, ancient mysteries and other esoteric subjects. On a related
          subject, a new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
          Serpent Grail, will be published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing.
          Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
          http://www.philipgardiner.net for more details on the book and on
          http://www.phil.fah-designs.com/forbiddenknews1.pdf for details of the
          conference.

          QuestCon05

          For those of you who are unable to wait to 2006 for a big conference on
          various esoteric subjects, check out QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew
          Collins, the event will be held in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers
          include Andrew Collins, Graham Phillips, Colin Wilson, Philip Gardiner and
          Gary Osborn. Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
          conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
          informative and intriguing conference.

          Curried Meatballs and Alien Abduction

          The Ministry of Defence has run a news feature on some of the Freedom of
          Information requests it has received since the Act came fully into force
          on 1 January this year. A light-hearted news feature entitled Curried
          Meatballs and Alien Abductions appeared recently on the MOD website,
          highlighting the wide range of requests that the MOD has received. Many
          requests have related to information on UFOs and alien abductions, and the
          MOD news feature picks out a couple. Click on http://news.mod.uk/
          news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3474 for details of the story.

          Ufology is Dead - Again

          Another local UFO group ran short of sightings, prompting media
          speculation that ufology is dead. Several national newspapers ran articles
          on this and I was quoted in The Guardian, commenting on the story. I
          subsequently discussed this on BBC Radio Scotland and pointed out that
          stories like this were often the making of the UFO group concerned, as
          they get publicity which prompts people to send them the very UFO reports
          they complain are not forthcoming.

          MSN Space Race

          The UFO competition run by Microsoft has now closed. Entrants were asked
          to send in photographs of UFOs or aliens, real or fake, and to follow a
          series of clues to guess the location of a secret base where UFOs were
          being kept. The prizes included a holiday in Florida with VIP access to
          the NASA Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players
          and lots of trendy Qee key rings. I was asked to judge this competition,
          along with former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. There was a
          fair bit of coverage of this competition in the media, but provoked quite
          a negative reaction on various discussion groups and blogs. The apparent
          coming together of Microsoft, NASA and the MOD in a UFO-related venture
          made many conspiracy theorists suspicious. There were rumours that the
          competition was aimed at gathering information about ufologists, or
          amassing a collection of genuine UFO photographs that had not previously
          been seen by officialdom. There were accusations that the whole
          competition was a disinformation project aimed at undermining ufology by
          blurring the line between fact and fiction, and some people even went so
          far as to encourage people to complain to Microsoft. In fact, the whole
          thing was a fun idea, and when we came to the judging, Peter and I
          assessed the entries not just for realism but for creativity, originality
          and humour. Check out the MSN Space Race website at
          http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for a look at the winning entries and the
          runners-up.

          Crop Circle Formations of 2005

          There may not have been much in the newspapers, but the crop circle
          phenomenon is still very much with us. The summer of 2005 has seen some
          beautiful formations appearing in the fields of England. Whether you
          believe crop circles are made by people, Earth energies or
          extraterrestrials, they are undeniably fascinating. Click on
          http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2005/2005.html or
          http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/2005/ for details of 2005 formations.

          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 4, 2005
            October 2005

            Weird World
            NICK POPE

            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2005/226.cntns

            Welcome to the October 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
            weird and the wonderful.

            The Science of Aliens

            The Science Museum is not the sort of place you would normally expect to
            find an exhibition and debate about UFOs, and yet that is exactly what is
            happening. The Science Museum is running a major new exhibition called The
            Science of Aliens, looking at UFOs, alien abductions and the most profound
            question of the modern era - are we alone in the Universe? To complement
            the exhibition, the Science Museum is running three debates at their new
            Dana Centre site. I shall be taking part in one of these. Tickets are free
            but must be pre-booked. Check out http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/
            for details of the exhibition http://www.danacentre.org.uk/ for details of
            the Dana Centre or http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/corporate_commercial/
            press/ShowPressRelease.asp?Show=336 for information about the debates.

            Astraea Magazine & Web Radio

            An absolutely fascinating series of interviews on a wide range of
            paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects can be accessed via Astraea
            Magazine & Web Radio. Subjects covered range from Freemasonry to Jack the
            Ripper, while I give one of the most wide-ranging interviews I have given
            in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project. Check out
            http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
            http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

            Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the UFO Phenomenon

            A controversial new book (or rather, an English language translation of a
            classic Portuguese book) suggests that the mysterious Fatima incident in
            1917 may have involved UFOs and not a manifestation of the Blessed Virgin
            Mary, as some believe. Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the
            UFO Phenomenon is written by Portuguese academics Joaquim Fernandes and
            Fina d' Armada, and has a foreword by Jacques Vallee. Intriguing and
            provocative. Check out www.eccenova.com and follow the links to the media
            kit for more details, or check out the usual online book sites.

            The Serpent Grail

            A fascinating new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
            Serpent Grail, was published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing and is
            generating a lot of excitement among those with an interest in forbidden
            knowledge and ancient mysteries. The book looks at stories of the Holy
            Grail, the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life, and links these
            concepts with shamanism and enlightenment. Running through all this and
            providing, the authors believe, the key to unlocking numerous mysteries,
            is serpent mythology. This is a well-researched, well-written and
            thought-provoking book. Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
            http://www.philipgardiner.net/ for more details, or check out the usual
            online book sites.

            QuestCon05

            Still on the subject of esoteric knowledge, there are still some tickets
            left for QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew Collins, the event will be held
            in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers include Andrew Collins, Graham
            Phillips, Colin Wilson, Jeremy Narby, Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn.
            Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
            conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
            informative and intriguing conference.

            An American Demonology

            Coming soon, from the self-styled bad man of ufology, possibly one of the
            most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves for some time. An
            American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward Ruppelt, a United
            States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the US Government UFO
            Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on Unidentified Flying
            Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever written. Bennett delves
            into the work and the mindset of this extraordinary character, and in
            doing so says much about UFOs, ufology, and America in the Fifties. Jerome
            Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the introduction. Bennett is an
            experienced biographer whose previous subjects have been Charles Fort and
            George Adamski. More on An American Demonology soon.

            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

            © Knight International
            www.knight-intl.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
              November 2005

              Weird World
              NICK POPE

              http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

              Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
              abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
              weird and the wonderful.

              Italian UFO Conference

              I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
              at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
              ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
              ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
              Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
              Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
              friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

              Threshold

              Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
              talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
              think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
              and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
              investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
              events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
              about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
              airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

              The Real 4400

              The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
              attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
              who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
              documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
              aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
              continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

              The Science of Aliens

              A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
              Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
              SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
              some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
              http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
              took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
              other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

              Nick Pope Interview Online

              I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
              in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
              & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
              range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
              and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
              http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
              http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

              Laughlin UFO Conference

              The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
              Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
              conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
              William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
              www.ufocongress.com for the details.

              UFO Conference in Hawaii

              One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
              to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
              focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
              Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
              Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

              © Knight International
              www.knight-intl.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
                December 2005 - January 2006

                Weird World
                NICK POPE

                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

                Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
                views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
                unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

                Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

                Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
                Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
                most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
                generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
                from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
                the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
                Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
                Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
                1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
                tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
                refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
                mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
                Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
                and various media features.

                Daily Express Rendlesham Article

                On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
                feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
                least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
                from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
                story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
                that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
                Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
                my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
                play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
                article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
                already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
                January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

                The Material World

                The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
                ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
                French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
                to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
                mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
                science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

                California Lecture Tour

                I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
                talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
                but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
                audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
                www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
                of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
                the British Government's UFO Project.

                Sopranos

                I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
                thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
                late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
                there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
                ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
                ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
                the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
                the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
                the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
                and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
                finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
                Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
                leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
                am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

                Threshold

                Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
                people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
                The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
                to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
                atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
                plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
                with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
                investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
                strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
                in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
                given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
                if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
                worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
                helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
                details.

                The Science of Aliens

                A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                other work to help promote the exhibition.

                An American Demonology

                Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
                possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
                for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
                Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
                US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
                Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
                written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
                extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
                America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
                introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
                have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
                other usual book sites for details of how to order.

                Crop Circle Sale

                Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
                archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
                collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
                among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
                Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
                out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

                Seasons Greetings

                Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
                New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
                currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,
                Afghanistan and other overseas locations. You may be far from home, but
                you are still in our thoughts. Stay safe.

                © Knight International
                www.knight-intl.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
                  February 2006

                  Weird World
                  NICK POPE

                  http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

                  Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                  abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                  weird and the wonderful.

                  The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

                  There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
                  Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
                  in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
                  place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
                  from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
                  books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
                  People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
                  anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
                  commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
                  national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
                  host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
                  broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
                  Morning Glory.

                  Left At East Gate

                  The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
                  East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
                  recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
                  Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
                  hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
                  the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
                  to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
                  the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
                  sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

                  Kittie Klaw

                  I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
                  investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
                  an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
                  wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
                  Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
                  Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
                  www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
                  check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
                  extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
                  collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
                  Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

                  Britain's Roswell

                  OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
                  but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
                  UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
                  including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
                  History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
                  James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
                  Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
                  month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
                  details.

                  Dana Centre

                  The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
                  cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
                  February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
                  all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
                  scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
                  which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
                  increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
                  life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
                  becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
                  and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
                  www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
                  for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

                  The World's Strangest UFO Stories

                  A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
                  the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
                  run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
                  and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
                  claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
                  with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
                  Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
                  about Pamela Stonebrook.

                  Off The Page

                  I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
                  The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
                  on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
                  February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
                  increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

                  Invasion

                  Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
                  4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
                  hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
                  involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
                  weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
                  struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
                  is the entire human race in peril?

                  Phenomena Magazine

                  For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
                  mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
                  Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
                  packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
                  Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
                  http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
                  in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
                  years.

                  Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                  © Knight International
                  www.knight-intl.com