Discovery Launch Set for July 13

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Discovery Launch Set for July 13

      http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html

      NASA has cleared the Space Shuttle to Return to Flight. After a two-day
      Flight Readiness Review meeting at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida,
      senior managers approved a July 13 launch date for Discovery.

      Commander Eileen Collins and her crew are scheduled to lift off at 3:51
      p.m. EDT on the first U.S. space flight since the February 2003 loss of
      the Shuttle Columbia.

      "After a vigorous, healthy discussion our team has come to a decision:
      we're ready to go," NASA Administrator Michael Griffin said after the
      meeting. "The past two and half years have resulted in significant
      improvements that have greatly reduced the risk of flying the Shuttle. But
      we should never lose sight of the fact that space flight is risky.