Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
      June 2005

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/June_2005/190.cntns

      Welcome to the June 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      The Scientific Evidence For UFOs

      Details of what promises to be the most ambitious UFO conference held in
      the UK for several years have now been announced. The Scientific Evidence
      For UFOs is a one day conference being held in London on Saturday June 11,
      at the Friends Meeting House on Euston Road. Keynote speakers include Dr
      Richard Haines, Dr Vladimir Rubtsov, Dr Viktor Zhuravlev and myself. Click
      on www.wddty.co.uk/ufo_conference_info.asp for further details of this
      major UFO conference, which is latest in the series of conferences
      organised by Living The Field. Check out www.livingthefield.com for
      details of this organisation.

      Festival of Near Death Experience

      On July 29 a bizarre festival will be held in North West Spain, close to
      the border with Portugal. People who have had near death experiences come
      together to celebrate their resurrection as part of a bizarre event that
      one suspects the Catholic Church only tolerates with extreme reluctance,
      despite a nod to their patron saint of resurrection, Santa Marta De
      Ribarteme. Those who have had these experiences take part in a procession,
      carrying or lying in a coffin. The celebration is held in the town of As
      Neves in Galicia, but other towns in the region, such as Amil, have
      similar events. Search within the www.tourspain.es site for details, or
      try Google.

      Astraea Magazine

      I have just recorded a major new interview with Astraea Magazine, an
      exciting new internet magazine devoted to a wide range of esoteric
      subjects. Experts already featured include Dr Robert Lomas and Michael
      Cremo, while the subjects range from Egyptology and Black Madonnas to
      Freemasonry and UFOs. Check out www.astraeamagazine.com for more details.

      New Jack The Ripper Theory

      Author Trevor Marriott has a new theory about Jack The Ripper, which he
      has published in a new book, entitled Jack The Ripper: The 21st Century
      Investigation. Marriott suggests that the Ripper may have been a sailor,
      and draws parallels between the London attacks and killings in Nicaragua.
      He even identifies a cargo vessel on which he believes the Ripper may have
      served, and attempts to track his movements around the globe, tying them
      in to brutal murders that fit the modus operandi of the Ripper.

      Results of Alien Abduction Study

      Regular readers of this column will recall that I have featured the work
      of Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths College, University of London, who
      has recently undertaken a scientific study into the alien abduction
      phenomenon. I had a meeting with Chris and his team at the outset of the
      project, discussing methodology, helped promote the study and encouraged
      abductees I had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and
      Chris will be giving an overview of the study at a conference to be held
      at Liverpool Hope University College on Saturday June 4. Check out
      www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of this talk
      and other lectures in the Developing Perspectives on Anomalous Experience
      conference. Other topics covered will include séances, out of body
      experiences, hauntings and ESP. The full report on the abduction study
      will be ready shortly after Chris presents his overview on June 4. I will
      return to this in my column next month.

      Crop Circles

      The crops are ripening in the fields, and it will not be long before the
      debate about crop circles resurfaces, as it does every summer, in England.
      I await with interest the annual reports, and suspect that they will begin
      shortly. I suspect that in my column next month, I will have some
      interesting things to report.

      UFOs on TV

      Because of the fact that I used to head the UFO Project run by the British
      Government, I am frequently approached by television and film production
      companies, asking me to give interviews, act as consultant or present
      shows dealing with this subject. I try to help out when I can, although
      the pressure of other business precludes the time I have for such media
      projects. What I can say is that there are numerous UFO related media
      projects which will be appearing on your TV screens shortly.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
        July 2005

        Weird World
        NICK POPE

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/July_2005/199.cntns

        Welcome to the July 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
        weird and the wonderful.

        Microsoft, UFOs and Aliens

        I have been asked to judge a competition being run by Microsoft. MSN
        Spaces are inviting people to submit a picture (real or fake) of a UFO or
        alien, and follow the clues to track down the location of a hidden UFO
        base. Prizes include a holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA
        Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and the
        trendy new Qee toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details,
        or enter the phrase MSN Space Race into Google.

        Crop Circle Conference 2005

        On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
        on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
        recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
        speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
        Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
        formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
        details.

        Glastonbury Symposium 2005

        The other big crop circle conference is the annual Glastonbury Symposium.
        This will be held on July 22, 23 and 24 in the Town Hall at Glastonbury,
        and speakers include Andy Thomas, Robin Heath, John Michell, Marcus Allen
        and Sir Laurence Gardner. Check out www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk for
        further details.

        Crop Circles and The Sun

        Top UK tabloid The Sun put a crop circle on its front page on June 10.
        Under the headline Aliens Back Our Bid, the newspaper featured a formation
        in the shape of the Olympic symbol. The Sun was behind the stunt, and
        admitted they had commissioned the making of the formation, but it was a
        timely reminder of the enduring power of crop circle imagery, and the
        extent to which this is now part of popular culture.

        The War of the Worlds

        The must see movie of the summer, The War of the Worlds, is now on general
        release here in the UK. It remains to be seen whether such a Hollywood
        blockbuster will

        Exopolitics

        Alfred Lambremont Webre has authored a book entitled Exopolitics. His
        involvement with the study of the UFO phenomenon includes work with the
        Carter Administration and the prestigious Stanford Research Institute.
        Exopolitics is a controversial part of ufology, which attempts to define
        the position of humanity in a Universe populated with other intelligent
        civilisations. Check out http://www.exopolitics.com/ for details of the
        subject, and
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0973766301/qid=1119385731/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance&s=books
        for details of the book. Alternatively, key the word Exopolitics into
        Google or Amazon. Subtitled Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe,
        this book is bound to be controversial.

        The Secret History of Lucifer

        A fascinating book by top paranormal and esoteric author Lynn Picknett
        threatens to challenge everything you thought you knew about Lucifer.
        People expecting satanic revelations will be disappointed, because it
        seems the devil has been much maligned. Lucifer, Lynn suggests, has far
        more to do with Goddess worship, pagan rituals and enlightenment than
        anything evil. The subtitle Evil Angel or the Secret of Life Itself well
        illustrates the debate at the heart of this book. Check out
        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671560X/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance
        for further details of the book, or search for the title on Google. And
        stand by for fireworks when this controversial book falls into the hands
        of the fundamentalist, patriarchal Christians that Lynn so despises. A
        more comprehensive review of this extraordinary, interesting,
        well-researched and controversial book will appear next month.

        Alien Abduction Study

        As mentioned in my column last month, the scientific study into the alien
        abduction phenomenon carried out by Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths
        College, University of London, has now been completed. I had a meeting
        with Chris and his team at the outset of the project, discussing
        methodology. I also helped promote the study and encouraged abductees I
        had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and Chris gave
        an overview of the study at a conference held at Liverpool Hope University
        College on Saturday June 4. Check out
        http://www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of
        this talk. The full report on the abduction study will be ready shortly.
        Chris forwarded me a copy of his paper, but asked me not to post it for
        now, as this might cause problems with subsequent publication in
        scientific journals. He did, however, say that I could post a summary of
        the paper. I am wary of this, as I am not a scientist, but I think I can
        safely say the following. The study involved 19 abductees (8 male, 11
        female) and a control group matched by age and gender. The study looked
        for postulated psychological differences between the two groups, for
        differences in susceptibility to false memories and for differences in ESP
        and PK abilities. Significant differences were found in areas such as
        tendency to hallucinate, absorption and dissociative tendencies. The
        results were less clear on fantasy-proneness, while no significant
        differences were found on susceptibility to false memory. Greater
        incidence of sleep paralysis was found among the abductees, though it was
        acknowledged that this might be a symptom of, and not an explanation for,
        alien abduction. The tests on paranormal abilities did not appear to show
        any significant differences, though there was one apparent difference on
        the clairvoyance test, which I am attempting to clarify. Once the paper
        has been published in scientific journals, I will feature a more detailed
        analysis in this column.

        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 7, 2005
          August 2005

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2005/208.cntns

          Welcome to the August 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
          weird and the wonderful.

          MSN Space Race

          There is still time to enter the UFO competition being run by Microsoft.
          Have you got a photograph of a UFO? Have you managed to take a picture of
          an alien? If not, do you think you could fake one good enough to fool the
          experts? And can you follow the clues to track down the location of a
          hidden UFO base? I have been asked to judge this competition, as has
          former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. The prizes include a
          holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA Space Center at Cape
          Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and lots of trendy new Qee
          toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details, or enter the
          phrase MSN Space Race into Google. The venture has been widely reported in
          the national media, but please, do not believe some of the bizarre
          conspiracy theories circulating on the internet. This is not a ruse on the
          part of British intelligence to gather information about ufologists, or to
          amass a collection of UFO photographs previously outside our control. It
          is a fun competition for UFO witnesses or people with an interest in the
          subject.

          War Of The Worlds

          If you only see one movie this summer, make sure you see this sensational
          sci-fi blockbuster. Spielberg is back to his best, Cruise is superb and
          the special effects are ... out of this world. I gave a brief interview
          about the possibility of a real war of the worlds a sci-fi supplement that
          appears in the current issue of the film magazine Empire. But please, with
          all movies like this, see it on the big screen at the cinema. Enjoy!

          Beagle 2 Inquest

          The chances of Beagle 2 succeeding on Mars were a million to one, but
          still ... sorry. Joking aside, the powerful Public Accounts Committee have
          published a critical report into the much publicised failure of the Beagle
          2 mission, citing poor risk management, last minute technical changes,
          over ambitious timescales and funding uncertainties as reasons for the
          failure.

          Conspiracies

          I hope regular readers of this column have caught the new series of
          Conspiracies. Broadcast on Sky One on Sunday evenings at 9pm, the second
          series of this show has delved into some intriguing areas, including Waco
          and the Lockerbie bomb. One of the programmes in the second series will
          relate to UFOs, so watch this space.

          Haunted Homes

          Do you have a ghost in your house? If you do, a new TV series wants to
          hear from you. If you believe you are living with a paranormal presence
          and want it investigated, email gemmachapman@... and give
          the details. A psychic and other paranormal experts are involved with the
          Haunted Homes TV show, which is a new series being developed for ITV.

          Crop Circle Conference 2005

          On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
          on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
          recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
          speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
          Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
          formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
          details.

          North Wales

          A new website has been set up concentrating on UFO sightings in North
          Wales. The area has seen a number of fascinating UFO sightings over the
          years, and the website covers an interesting mix of UFO and abduction
          related material, including information on some famous Welsh cases such as
          the Berwyn Mountain crash, the Broadhaven Triangle, strange activity on
          Denbigh Moor and the UFO sightings at Great Orme, one of the top ten UFO
          hotspots in the UK. Check out www.nwalesufos.com for details of this new
          but fast growing website.

          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
            September 2005

            Weird World
            NICK POPE

            Welcome to the September 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
            weird and the wonderful.

            Metro - 60 Second Interview

            On 10 August I appeared in Metro, the popular free newspaper read by most
            London commuters. I was featured in their regular 60 Second Interview
            slot, and used the opportunity to tell people about my time on the
            Ministry of Defence UFO Project. I was also pictured on the front cover,
            which I had not expected. This is a tremendously high-profile feature -
            other recent interviewees include Norman Cook and Sandra Bullock - so was
            a wonderful opportunity to promote ufology and the paranormal more
            generally. Click on http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/
            interview.html%3Fin_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1144 to see the interview in
            its entirety.

            Forbidden Knowledge

            One of the biggest esoteric conferences ever held in the UK will be held
            on Saturday 1 July 2006. Speakers include Alan Alford, Andrew Collins,
            Michael Cremo, Paul Devereux, Philip Gardiner, Lionel Fanthorpe, Gary
            Osborn, Karen Ralls and myself. The conference will be held at Kings Hall
            in Stoke on Trent and is already attracting massive interest from all
            those interested in forbidden knowledge, Earth mysteries, the paranormal,
            mysticism, ancient mysteries and other esoteric subjects. On a related
            subject, a new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
            Serpent Grail, will be published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing.
            Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
            http://www.philipgardiner.net for more details on the book and on
            http://www.phil.fah-designs.com/forbiddenknews1.pdf for details of the
            conference.

            QuestCon05

            For those of you who are unable to wait to 2006 for a big conference on
            various esoteric subjects, check out QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew
            Collins, the event will be held in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers
            include Andrew Collins, Graham Phillips, Colin Wilson, Philip Gardiner and
            Gary Osborn. Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
            conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
            informative and intriguing conference.

            Curried Meatballs and Alien Abduction

            The Ministry of Defence has run a news feature on some of the Freedom of
            Information requests it has received since the Act came fully into force
            on 1 January this year. A light-hearted news feature entitled Curried
            Meatballs and Alien Abductions appeared recently on the MOD website,
            highlighting the wide range of requests that the MOD has received. Many
            requests have related to information on UFOs and alien abductions, and the
            MOD news feature picks out a couple. Click on http://news.mod.uk/
            news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3474 for details of the story.

            Ufology is Dead - Again

            Another local UFO group ran short of sightings, prompting media
            speculation that ufology is dead. Several national newspapers ran articles
            on this and I was quoted in The Guardian, commenting on the story. I
            subsequently discussed this on BBC Radio Scotland and pointed out that
            stories like this were often the making of the UFO group concerned, as
            they get publicity which prompts people to send them the very UFO reports
            they complain are not forthcoming.

            MSN Space Race

            The UFO competition run by Microsoft has now closed. Entrants were asked
            to send in photographs of UFOs or aliens, real or fake, and to follow a
            series of clues to guess the location of a secret base where UFOs were
            being kept. The prizes included a holiday in Florida with VIP access to
            the NASA Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players
            and lots of trendy Qee key rings. I was asked to judge this competition,
            along with former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. There was a
            fair bit of coverage of this competition in the media, but provoked quite
            a negative reaction on various discussion groups and blogs. The apparent
            coming together of Microsoft, NASA and the MOD in a UFO-related venture
            made many conspiracy theorists suspicious. There were rumours that the
            competition was aimed at gathering information about ufologists, or
            amassing a collection of genuine UFO photographs that had not previously
            been seen by officialdom. There were accusations that the whole
            competition was a disinformation project aimed at undermining ufology by
            blurring the line between fact and fiction, and some people even went so
            far as to encourage people to complain to Microsoft. In fact, the whole
            thing was a fun idea, and when we came to the judging, Peter and I
            assessed the entries not just for realism but for creativity, originality
            and humour. Check out the MSN Space Race website at
            http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for a look at the winning entries and the
            runners-up.

            Crop Circle Formations of 2005

            There may not have been much in the newspapers, but the crop circle
            phenomenon is still very much with us. The summer of 2005 has seen some
            beautiful formations appearing in the fields of England. Whether you
            believe crop circles are made by people, Earth energies or
            extraterrestrials, they are undeniably fascinating. Click on
            http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2005/2005.html or
            http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/2005/ for details of 2005 formations.

            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

            © Knight International
            www.knight-intl.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 4, 2005
              October 2005

              Weird World
              NICK POPE

              http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2005/226.cntns

              Welcome to the October 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
              abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
              weird and the wonderful.

              The Science of Aliens

              The Science Museum is not the sort of place you would normally expect to
              find an exhibition and debate about UFOs, and yet that is exactly what is
              happening. The Science Museum is running a major new exhibition called The
              Science of Aliens, looking at UFOs, alien abductions and the most profound
              question of the modern era - are we alone in the Universe? To complement
              the exhibition, the Science Museum is running three debates at their new
              Dana Centre site. I shall be taking part in one of these. Tickets are free
              but must be pre-booked. Check out http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/
              for details of the exhibition http://www.danacentre.org.uk/ for details of
              the Dana Centre or http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/corporate_commercial/
              press/ShowPressRelease.asp?Show=336 for information about the debates.

              Astraea Magazine & Web Radio

              An absolutely fascinating series of interviews on a wide range of
              paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects can be accessed via Astraea
              Magazine & Web Radio. Subjects covered range from Freemasonry to Jack the
              Ripper, while I give one of the most wide-ranging interviews I have given
              in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project. Check out
              http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
              http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

              Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the UFO Phenomenon

              A controversial new book (or rather, an English language translation of a
              classic Portuguese book) suggests that the mysterious Fatima incident in
              1917 may have involved UFOs and not a manifestation of the Blessed Virgin
              Mary, as some believe. Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the
              UFO Phenomenon is written by Portuguese academics Joaquim Fernandes and
              Fina d' Armada, and has a foreword by Jacques Vallee. Intriguing and
              provocative. Check out www.eccenova.com and follow the links to the media
              kit for more details, or check out the usual online book sites.

              The Serpent Grail

              A fascinating new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
              Serpent Grail, was published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing and is
              generating a lot of excitement among those with an interest in forbidden
              knowledge and ancient mysteries. The book looks at stories of the Holy
              Grail, the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life, and links these
              concepts with shamanism and enlightenment. Running through all this and
              providing, the authors believe, the key to unlocking numerous mysteries,
              is serpent mythology. This is a well-researched, well-written and
              thought-provoking book. Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
              http://www.philipgardiner.net/ for more details, or check out the usual
              online book sites.

              QuestCon05

              Still on the subject of esoteric knowledge, there are still some tickets
              left for QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew Collins, the event will be held
              in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers include Andrew Collins, Graham
              Phillips, Colin Wilson, Jeremy Narby, Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn.
              Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
              conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
              informative and intriguing conference.

              An American Demonology

              Coming soon, from the self-styled bad man of ufology, possibly one of the
              most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves for some time. An
              American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward Ruppelt, a United
              States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the US Government UFO
              Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on Unidentified Flying
              Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever written. Bennett delves
              into the work and the mindset of this extraordinary character, and in
              doing so says much about UFOs, ufology, and America in the Fifties. Jerome
              Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the introduction. Bennett is an
              experienced biographer whose previous subjects have been Charles Fort and
              George Adamski. More on An American Demonology soon.

              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

              © Knight International
              www.knight-intl.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
                November 2005

                Weird World
                NICK POPE

                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

                Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                weird and the wonderful.

                Italian UFO Conference

                I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
                at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
                ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
                ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
                Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
                Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
                friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

                Threshold

                Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
                talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
                think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
                and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
                investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
                events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
                about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
                airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

                The Real 4400

                The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
                attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
                who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
                documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
                aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
                continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

                The Science of Aliens

                A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

                Nick Pope Interview Online

                I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
                in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
                & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
                range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
                and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
                http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
                http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

                Laughlin UFO Conference

                The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
                Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
                conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
                William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
                www.ufocongress.com for the details.

                UFO Conference in Hawaii

                One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
                to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
                focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
                Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
                Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

                Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                © Knight International
                www.knight-intl.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
                  December 2005 - January 2006

                  Weird World
                  NICK POPE

                  http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

                  Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
                  views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
                  unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

                  Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

                  Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
                  Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
                  most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
                  generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
                  from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
                  the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
                  Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
                  Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
                  1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
                  tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
                  refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
                  mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
                  Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
                  and various media features.

                  Daily Express Rendlesham Article

                  On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
                  feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
                  least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
                  from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
                  story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
                  that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
                  Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
                  my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
                  play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
                  article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
                  already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
                  January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

                  The Material World

                  The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
                  ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
                  French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
                  to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
                  mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
                  science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

                  California Lecture Tour

                  I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
                  talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
                  but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
                  audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
                  www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
                  of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
                  the British Government's UFO Project.

                  Sopranos

                  I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
                  thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
                  late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
                  there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
                  ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
                  ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
                  the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
                  the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
                  the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
                  and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
                  finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
                  Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
                  leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
                  am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

                  Threshold

                  Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
                  people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
                  The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
                  to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
                  atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
                  plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
                  with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
                  investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
                  strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
                  in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
                  given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
                  if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
                  worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
                  helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
                  details.

                  The Science of Aliens

                  A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                  Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                  SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                  some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                  http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                  took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                  other work to help promote the exhibition.

                  An American Demonology

                  Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
                  possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
                  for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
                  Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
                  US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
                  Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
                  written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
                  extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
                  America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
                  introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
                  have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
                  other usual book sites for details of how to order.

                  Crop Circle Sale

                  Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
                  archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
                  collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
                  among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
                  Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
                  out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

                  Seasons Greetings

                  Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
                  New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
                  currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,
                  Afghanistan and other overseas locations. You may be far from home, but
                  you are still in our thoughts. Stay safe.

                  © Knight International
                  www.knight-intl.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 13 2:29 AM
                    February 2006

                    Weird World
                    NICK POPE

                    http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

                    Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                    abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                    weird and the wonderful.

                    The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

                    There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
                    Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
                    in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
                    place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
                    from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
                    books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
                    People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
                    anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
                    commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
                    national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
                    host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
                    broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
                    Morning Glory.

                    Left At East Gate

                    The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
                    East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
                    recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
                    Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
                    hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
                    the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
                    to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
                    the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
                    sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

                    Kittie Klaw

                    I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
                    investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
                    an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
                    wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
                    Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
                    Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
                    www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
                    check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
                    extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
                    collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
                    Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

                    Britain's Roswell

                    OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
                    but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
                    UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
                    including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
                    History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
                    James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
                    Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
                    month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
                    details.

                    Dana Centre

                    The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
                    cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
                    February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
                    all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
                    scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
                    which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
                    increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
                    life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
                    becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
                    and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
                    www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
                    for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

                    The World's Strangest UFO Stories

                    A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
                    the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
                    run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
                    and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
                    claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
                    with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
                    Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
                    about Pamela Stonebrook.

                    Off The Page

                    I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
                    The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
                    on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
                    February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
                    increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

                    Invasion

                    Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
                    4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
                    hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
                    involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
                    weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
                    struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
                    is the entire human race in peril?

                    Phenomena Magazine

                    For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
                    mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
                    Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
                    packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
                    Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
                    http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
                    in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
                    years.

                    Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                    © Knight International
                    www.knight-intl.com