UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 22

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 10, Number 22
      June 1, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      UFOs SIGHTED IN FRANCE

      On Saturday, May 14, 2005, four people were outdoors
      in Avignon, a city in southern France, when they saw three
      luminous objects in the sky, approaching from the
      southwest.
      "It must have been 10:15 p.m., and we were going
      out," an eyewitness reported, "All four of us went out to
      get some air. Our gaze was directed at three luminous
      objects in the shape of a very circular moon, coming in
      from the southwest. The three objects were moving quite
      fast, without emitting noise. The approximate distance
      between us and the phenomenon was 200 meters (660 feet)."
      The UFOs "then drew together like a triangle and
      seemed to get near each other as if flying together. Our
      encounter did not last more than five seconds before they
      disappeared out of our field of vision, heading towards
      the northeast."
      The eyewitness, who described himself as "a geologist
      by vocation," added, "All three of these mysterious
      objects followed the fault line which goes beneath our
      (Avignon) area, running from southwest to northeast for a
      distance of 20 kilometers (12 miles)."
      On Monday, May 2, 2005, a spherical orange UFO
      appeared over Bondoufle, a town in the Essone region of
      France. The eyewitness reported, "My encounter lasted not
      more than 15 seconds. It happened sometime between 11:25
      and 11:35 p.m. I saw a round object, the colour of an
      orange streetlight. There was a slight luminous trail
      behind it, of a curious blue-orange colour."
      "We were returning home with my father after a
      concert in Paris. Just before coming to a stop sign, we
      saw a strange orange star in the sky. But this object was
      three times the size of a normal star. As we came to a
      complete stop, the object dipped behind a tree. So I
      asked my father to drive back a little bit. But by then
      the object had completely disappeared...in two seconds."
      (See Ufologie for May 23, 2005. Merci beaucoup a Robert
      Fischer pour ces nouvelles.)

      GOAT MUTILATIONS REPORTED
      NEAR SAN LUIS, ARGENTINA

      One hundred small goats were found dead and strangely
      mutilated on a farm near El Suyuque, a small town in the
      west-central province of San Luis in Argentina.
      On Wednesday, April 13, 2005, Lorenzo Villegas, "a
      resident of the town of Los Membrillos" in San Luis
      province, told the research group Planeta UFO "that some
      'little goats' belonging to a friend of his from the town
      of El Suyuque" had been killed and mutilated. "This
      friend expressed a significant loss to his goat herd--100
      animals had been found dead under mysterious
      circumstances."
      "'These are people who come from another world, other
      planets, who are conducting experiments with the organs
      they're removing from the animals,' Villegas quoted his
      friend as saying.
      Villegas also reported his own UFO sighting in the
      same area. "Some time ago, while returning from a
      birthday party on muleback, I came to the river, which is
      not massive (deep--J.T.) but very wide. That's when I
      heard a buzzing sound coming from downriver, just like the
      sound made by Deutz Tractor turbines. That surprised me,
      since it was four o'clock in the morning at the time, and
      there are neither houses nor anything else in this place.
      I spurred the mule and, in mid-river, with about 30 meters
      (97 feet) left to reach the opposite bank, the buzzing
      sound became louder and louder, like a strong wind. I
      looked and saw amidst the darkness three large luminous
      plate-shaped objects which were hovering up ahead,
      lighting up everything as bright as day. The mule got
      spooked, and I jumped off, landing flat in the shallow
      water. The plate-shaped objects continued upriver, as if
      looking for something."
      "Sr. Antonio Contreras, a neighbor of mine, remarked
      that the locals complained that their dogs wouldn't let
      them sleep a wink, since they were barking all night.
      When he went outside, he saw three large luminous objects
      shaped like plates."
      "I didn't tell anyone, since I was afraid they'd
      laugh at me. But sometime later, while checking out my
      mule, I was astounded to see physical evidence" along the
      river, "some incredible marks on the soil on a side road
      in the swamp belonging to the Los Chanares Wilderness
      Area. The marks seemed to indicate that the ground had
      been burned. It took me some time to measure them. All
      three of the marks measured 4 by 5 meters each and they
      weren't together. Rather, they were separated some 5 to 8
      meters from each other. That's when I realized that they
      had been made by the objects I'd seen over the river."
      (See Planeta UFO for May 27, 2005. Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Guillermo Gimenez para estas noticias.)

      UFO PHOTOGRAPHED
      NORTH OF MEXICO CITY

      On Friday, May 20, 2005, at 7:48 p.m., eyewitnesses
      on the ground in Colonia Acueducto de Guadalupe, a suburb
      north of Mexico City, saw a silvery UFO that appeared to
      be flying "at a very high altitude." One of the onlookers
      had a digital Marca Mustek camera and began snapping
      photographs.
      The resulting photos "showed the object high over
      Cerro de Chiquihite (hill), where there have been numerous
      UFO sightings previously. Also at the top of the hill are
      several TV and radio towers." Observers kept the UFO in
      sight for several minutes. (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Ana Luisa Cid Fernandes para estas noticias.)

      FAST UFO FLYBY IN
      SOUTHERN ONTARIO

      On Friday, May 27, 2005, at 8:30 p.m., eyewitness
      J.H. was outdoors at his home in Mount Forest, Ontario
      province, Canada when he spotted something unusual in the
      sky.
      "It was a really bright object, flying from east to
      west at a high altitude," he reported, "There was a
      luminous trail behind it, a red long light. The UFO was
      spinning, too. As near as I can make out, the object
      itself was octagonal. The colour was a dull silver. It
      kept going up and down as it flew along. I would estimate
      its speed at 75 kilometers per hour. The object departed
      to the west."
      Mount Forest, Ont. (population 4,530) is on
      Provincial Highway 89, located about 60 miles (100
      kilometers) northwest of Toronto, Canada's largest city.
      (Email Form Report)

      UFO REPORT LEADS TO
      INDIANA DRUG ARRESTS

      "The report of an unidentified flying object over
      Union County (Indiana) early today (Friday, May 27, 2005)
      resulted in the arrest of two Connersville men on a
      variety of drug charges."
      "Union County Sheriff's Department officials said
      Deputy Dale Dishmund was responding to a report of a UFO
      over U.S. (Route) 27 south near Clifford Road when he came
      upon a suspicious car near Pottershop Road at about 1:35
      a.m."
      "Three fishermen, who had spent part of Thursday
      night (May 26, 2005) fishing in Brockville Lake off the
      Treatyline Ramp, reported the UFO."
      "Dishmund stopped to investigate and found that the
      vehicle's passenger, Harold Williams, 29, of Connersville
      was wanted on a warrant in Wayne County," Indiana.
      "When he ran (checked out--J.T.) the license plates,
      Dishmund found them to be fictitious. He brought in a
      drug-sniffing dog and found 42 grams of cocaine, an amount
      of marijuana and drug paraphenalia."
      "Williams and Douglas Keegan, 32, of Connersville
      were arrested and face preliminary charges of possession
      of cocaine, a class C felony; dealing cocaine, a class A
      felony; possession of marijuana, a class D felony; and
      possession of paraphenalia, a class A misdemeanor."
      "Police said the cocaine had a street value of around
      $4,000."
      "The pair remain in Wayne County jail." (See the
      Liberty, Ind. Pal-Item for May 27, 2005, "Report of UFO
      leads to drug arrests." Many thanks to Jim Hickman,
      executive director of Skywatch International for this
      newspaper article.)

      SEVERAL UFOs SIGHTED
      IN OLMSTED FALLS, OHIO

      "Ohio is home to some of the most unusual UFO
      sightings in the country. The strange sightings don't end
      in the night sky; they also lurk in the woods and lakes of
      northeastern Ohio, NewsChannel 5's Paul Kiska reported."
      "Kiska reported that police were left stunned by some
      of the reports, and the videos of the UFO sightings can be
      chilling to even skeptics. And Ohio has the second
      highest number of reported UFO sightings" in the USA.
      "Last week, Olmsted Falls (population 7,962) police
      officers took notice after receiving calls from area
      residents who saw strange green and red lights moving
      across the night sky. Police later learned that a new
      blimp from Akron Goodyear was being tested, but that there
      were no sightings reported between Akron (population
      217,074) and Olmsted Falls, Kiska reported."
      "NewsChannel 5's photographer, Tim Dean, has seen a
      UFO. He shared his story from the summer of 1984."
      "'It was just hovering in the sky, and, whew, it took
      off--gone!" Dean said, 'It still gives me the chills today
      just telling the story.'"
      "Even Bigfoot and Sasquatch sightings have been
      reported from Chardon (population 5,156) to Niles
      (population 20,932). One of the most well-known sightings
      took place in the Cuyahoga Valley National Forest a few
      years ago. Several motorists reported seeing a large
      hairy creature with human-like features crossing
      Interstate (Highway) 271." (See the NewsChannel 5 of
      Cleveland news broadcast for May 26, 2005. Many thanks to
      Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch International,
      for the broadcast transcript.)

      WOMAN SPOTS A UFO IN
      CENTRAL VIRGINIA

      On Friday, May 20, 2005, at 11:30 p.m., Joyce Naranja
      was walking her dog around the neighborhood in Cumberland
      County, Virginia (population 9,018) when she saw a strange
      light in the sky.
      "It was a clear night, full moon, not a single cloud
      in the sky," Joyce reported, "I was walking my dog and
      watching what I thought was an airplane. It was moving
      westward in a straight line. Then it started moving in a
      weird up-and-down motion, like a fish trying to swim
      upstream. It then dropped behind a huge star. I kept
      looking for it to reappear, but it never did. The whole
      thing lasted maybe 20 seconds or so."
      Cumberland County is located 60 miles (100
      kilometers) due west of Richmond, the state capital.
      (Email Form Report)

      HUDDLESFIELD PANTHER
      SPOTTED AGAIN

      "The big cat has been spotted again, visiting
      Linthwaite," near Huddlesfield, UK, "to chase rabbits."
      "The beast, thought to be a black panther, has been
      spotted around the area in the past few weeks."
      "The latest sighting was by Judith Morris, 48, of
      Tudor Street, Linthwaite, and her daughter, Sarah Weber,
      25, while they were walking across fields to Linthwaite
      Clough Junior and Infant School."
      "'We often walk this way because the field is full of
      rabbits,' said Judith, who was going to the park to pick
      up her grandson, Damon, age 6. 'All of a sudden, I saw
      something move very quickly, and the rabbits all scattered
      and ran down their warrens. When we looked, we could
      clearly see the cat--it was large, far too big to be a
      domestic cat or dog. It was prowling across the field.
      My daughter was petrified. She was trembling, and we
      certainly will not be walking across that field for a
      while.'"
      "The sighting was last Tuesday," May 17, 2005. (See
      the Huddlesfield Daily Examiner for May 23, 2005, "Big cat
      spotted prowling in field." Many thanks to Robert Fischer
      for this newspaper article.)

      INDIA'S EYE DOCTORS TRY
      TO BAN NEW HORROR FILM

      "Indian eye doctors have asked a court to ban a movie
      in which the heroine sees ghosts after a cornea
      transplant, worrying that it will scare off both donors
      and patients."
      "The All-India Ophthamological Society complained to
      Delhi's High Court about the movie Naina (Hindi for Eye--
      J.T.), starring 'Bollywood Bombshell' Urmila Matondkar,
      would reinforce myths about cornea transplants."
      "'This movie could cause a fear psychosis among
      cornea recipients and their relatives, as well as many
      potential eye donors,' ophthamologist Dr. Navin Sakhuja
      said."
      "Would-be donors could be frightened off, afraid
      their eyes 'will live on after they are dead,'' said Dr.
      Sakhuja, a member of the Society. 'We have a large backlog
      of people, particularly children, waiting to get new
      corneas. This movie adds to misconceptions and could hurt
      efforts to get them their corneas.'"
      "Naina's director says the heroine's vision after the
      triumphant operation following 20 years of blindness is
      caused by what the donor had seen and experienced in
      life."
      "'If such objections are taken into account, no
      horror film would ever be made,' director Shripal Morakhia
      said."
      "India needs only 40,000 to 50,000 corneas per year,
      but only 15,000 are donated. Hindus believe in
      reincarnation and that what they do and say in this life
      affects their next life. Doctors claim some Hindus
      believe they will be born blind 'if they give up their
      eyes in this life.'" (See the Times of India for May 22,
      2005, "Eye doctors see red over spooky movie." Many
      thanks to Vijay Sanjavit for this newspaper article.)

      NEW DINOSAUR SKELETON
      FOUND IN AUSTRALIA

      "A team from the University of Adelaide and the South
      Australian Museum unearthed the remains of a creature in
      Queensland at what was once a vast inland ocean."
      "Paleontologist Dr. Bean Kear says he thinks the
      reptile discovered at the Boulia site may be related to a
      group of long-necked plesiosaurs known as Elasmosaurus."
      "Dr. Kear says teeth found on its jawbone provide the
      best clue that scientists are dealing with something new."
      "'The jaw has a mouthful of 'very large fangs'
      bunched together at the front and 'no other plesiosaur
      ever discovered has teeth like that,' Dr. Kear said."
      "'This potentially new species of Plesiosaurus is one
      of two plesiosaurs recently found at Boulia, Qlnd."
      "The other set of remains belong to a Kronosaur,
      which Dr. Kear says was a famous predator resembling 'a
      giant salt-water crocodile with flippers instead of
      legs.'"
      "The two plesiosaurs were found with remains of
      prehistoric sea turtles, sharks and ichthyosaurs, a
      reptile shaped like a dolphin."
      "The finds date back to the early Cretaceous Period
      about 110 million years ago when the world's sea levels
      were at their highest, and the Eromaga Sea covered much of
      central Australia."
      "'The beauty of the Australian deposits is that if
      you look globally at the early records of marine animals
      you've got a lot of early stuff from Europe and a lot of
      late stuff from the U.S. There's a central gap around the
      early Cretaceous Period, and we're the missing link,' Dr.
      Kear said. (See the Australian newspaper Herald-Sun for
      May 25, 2005, "New plesiosaur found at Boulia." Many
      thanks to Marcel Fuller for this newspaper article.)

      VOYAGER I REACHES EDGE
      OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM

      "After a storied 28-year odyssey, NASA's venerable
      Voyager I spacecraft appears to have reached the edge of
      the solar system, a turbulent zone of near-nothingness
      where the solar wind begins to give way to interstellar
      space in a cosmic cataclysm known as 'termination shock,'
      scientists said Tuesday," May 24, 2005.
      "'This is an historic step in Voyager's race,' said
      California Institute of Technology physicist Edward Stone,
      the mission's chief scientist since Voyager I and its
      twin, Voyager 2, were launched in the summer of 1977. 'We
      have a totally new region of space to explore, and it's a
      once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.'"
      "Stone said project scientists, working from models
      of a phenomenon never before directly observed, finally
      agreed that data from Voyager I's tiny 80-kilobyte
      computer memory showed that the spacecraft had passed
      through the 'heliosheath,' a frontier of unknown thickness
      that defines the (solar system's) border with interstellar
      space."
      "Stamatios Krimigis, another longtime Voyager
      scientist, said in a telephone interview that the
      spacecraft may remain in the heliosheath for perhaps ten
      years but should easily survive, going dark only when its
      plutonium power source finally expires around 2020."
      "Of far greater concern to scientists was the
      possibility that NASA could kill the $4.2 million-a-year
      project to free up money for President (George W.) Bush's
      initiative to send humans back to the moon and eventually
      to Mars."
      "NASA has put Voyager's fate on hold while
      independent reviewers evaluate the mission, with a
      decision expected in February 2006."
      "Stone presented the Voyager data during a telephone
      news conference at the 2005 Joint Assembly in New Orleans,
      a joint meeting of the American Geophysical Union, the
      North American Benthological Society, the Society of
      Exploration Geophysicists and the Solar Physics Division
      of the American Astronomical Society."
      "Voyager's 'design mission' to Jupiter and Saturn
      lasted five years, then simply kept on going. Voyager 2
      flew by Uranus and Neptune to complete a 'grand tour' of
      the major planets and is now about 7 billion miles from
      the sun, traveling at 63,000 miles per hour."
      "Voyager I broke away from the tour at Saturn and
      headed for interstellar space. When it entered the
      heliosheath, it was 8.7 billion miles away--the farthest
      any man-made object has ever traveled. Its speed is
      46,000 miles per hour." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for May 25, 2005, "Voyager I ventures to edge of
      solar system," page 7A.)

      MYSTERY OF THE LOST
      CONFEDERATE GOLD
      FORTUNE

      Out on the dry plains of Oklahoma, just off the
      Bailey Turnpike on Highway 277, is the little town of
      Cement (population 500). It's kind of a quiet place, but
      some people think it's the site of a fabulous treasure.
      "Bud Hardcastle and Charlie Holman figure the
      Confederacy never truly surrendered. Its leaders simply
      buried their dreams for the day when the South would rise
      again."
      (Editor's Note: In December 1860, the eleven southern
      states of the USA seceded from the Union and formed the
      Confederate States of America (CSA), also known as the
      Confederacy. This event triggered the American Civil War,
      also known in Dixie as "the unsuccessful war for Southern
      independence.")
      "After 30 years of research, Hardcastle and Holman
      are convinced that enterprising disciples of Dixie stashed
      millions of dollars in gold and silver--now probably worth
      billions--in locations across North America, to help
      finance a second Civil War."
      "'The true story of the South has never been told,'
      said Holman, a balding, 56-year-old denturist. 'A lot of
      Southerners know the story, but they've not told anyone
      else.'"
      "Enough buried booty has been recovered over the last
      century to ignite a prairie fire of interest in treasure-
      hunting--hundreds of real-life Indiana Joneses scouring
      remote terrain from Canada to Mexico for what they believe
      is a mother lode of antique coins and rare documents."
      "It's an oft-quirky subculture that deploys high-tech
      gear and old-fashioned detective work in a quest to
      unravel the secrets of the Knights of the Golden Circle
      (KGC), a pro-South society credited with masterminding the
      elaborate underground financial network."
      "Hardcastle, a portly, 66-year-old used car dealer
      who learned of the secretive pro-South group through his
      fascination with the legendary outlaw Jesse James.
      Hardcastle now thinks that Jesse James, a Missouri
      guerrilla fighter" for the CSA "during the Civil War and a
      train and bank robber afterward, was 'comptroller of the
      KGC.'"
      "According to some treasure hunters, burial was the
      surest means of protecting the fortune that included gold
      and silver from the Confederate treasury, donations from
      Southern sympathizers, war-time raids on Northern banks
      and post-war robberies."
      "No single ledger or document has been recovered that
      details the extent of the earthen deposits. But treasure
      hunters said they have uncovered evidence of an intricate
      geometric grid system used to determine the locations of
      hidden loot across North America."
      "Further, they said, it appears the Knights of the
      Golden Circle built a network of sentries who knew the
      location of each cache, protected it during their
      lifetimes, then shared the information with subsequent
      generations."
      "It's a two-fisted, hard-nosed world where few are
      willing to talk much about their successes or join forces,
      afraid they'll be double-crossed and lose out on a
      discovery."
      "Hardcastle and Holman said they learned hard lessons
      about sharing information: In one case, other treasure
      hunters they befriended went behind their backs and
      unearthed the loot. All Hardcastle got from the discovery
      was an 1880 silver dollar."
      "'Ninety-eight percent of treasure hunters,' Holman
      said, 'aren't worth the powder it would take to blow their
      butt off.'"
      "Bob Bewer, an Arkansas-based treasure hunter who co-
      authored the book Shadow of the Sentinel: One Man's Quest
      to Find the Hidden Treasure of the Confederacy, said he,
      too, believes he is close to a major breakthrough."
      "But he declined, for now, to be interviewed at
      length--at least in part, he said, because treasure
      hunting can be dangerous." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for May 29, 2005, "Treasure hunters seek fabled
      Confederate fortune," page 13A.)

      CFR PROMOTES MERGER OF
      USA, CANADA AND MEXICO

      "'If our two borders, the one between Canada and the
      U.S., and the U.S. and Mexico becomes a battleline for
      security, the impact this would have on normal relations
      and economic relations would be profound,' said co-
      chairman John Manley, a former Canadian deputy prime
      minister."
      Manley was one of three co-chairmen of a task force
      put together to explore means of eliminating borders
      between the three largest countries of North America--the
      USA, Canada and Mexico.
      "The task force was sponsored by private groups in
      each of the three countries, including the Council on
      Foreign Relations (CFR)" in New York City, but "there was
      no indication that the governments would act on the
      proposition."
      (Editor's Note: The Council on Foreign Relations is
      the most powerful foreign-policy lobby in the USA. Since
      1940, every USA Secretary of State has been a member,
      including Condoleezza Rice and her predecessor, Gen. Colin
      Powell.)
      "The report, entitled Building a North American
      Community, has called for the freer movement within the
      continent for citizens with a North American Border Pass
      with biometric identifiers and other means to ensure
      economic and military cooperation between the countries."
      "William F. Weld, a former Republican governor of
      Massachusetts, and Pedro Aspe, a former finance minister
      of Mexico, were the other coordinators of the task force,
      composed of 20 experts from government, business and
      academia."
      "Manley contrasted the security of goods flowing
      between Canada and the United States with a lax attitude
      to imports arriving at shipping ports."
      "'As I told my one-time U.S. counterpart (former USA
      Department of Homeland Security chief) Tom Ridge, 'You
      inspect a (railroad) grain car entering the U.S. from
      Saskatchewan closer than you do container traffic coming
      into the United States from the Middle East.' And I think
      that's still the case.'"
      "Other (task force) recommendations included
      improving labor mobility, developing an energy strategy
      with greater emphasis on reducing harmful emissions and
      establishing an investment fund to build infrastructure to
      connect Mexico's poorer regions in the south to the
      markets of the north."
      "'Improving labor mobility'--that's CFR-speak for
      bringing Pancho Cucaracha and thirty million of his
      relatives over the Rio Grande to take your job at Mickey
      Dee's,"
      UFO Roundup correspondent Bill Sanderson commented.
      Nor is the CFR the only one promoting the idea of "no
      borders within North America." Hollywood has also gotten
      into the act.
      According to USA Today, "Tommy Lee Jones acts as if
      he'd rather lug a dead body on horseback to Mexico than
      promote his film to the press."
      "Actually, that's what his character, a modern
      cowpoke, does in Jones' directing debut The Three Burials
      of Melquiades Estrada, which won two major awards at the
      Cannes Film Festival, which ended Saturday," May 21, 2005.
      "The movie is about a Texan who tries to bring home
      the body of his best friend, a Mexican cowboy, after he is
      killed by a Border Patrol agent."
      "Jones, who plays the Texan, won the best-actor
      prize" at Cannes "and Guillermo Arriaga won best
      screenplay."
      "'I wanted to make a movie about the people of West
      and South Texas,' said Jones, who was raised in Midland,
      Texas. 'We are a bicultural society, and we're often
      demonized by people from other places. The underlying
      premise of this movie is that there is no border.'"
      "Jones said he and producer Michael Fitzgerald and
      screenwriter Arriaga were driving around in a pickup truck
      on a hunting trip on his remote West Texas ranch and
      decided to make a picture together."
      "Arriaga is a hunting buddy of Jones' who has been on
      a hot streak since writing 21 Grams in 2003 and Amores
      Perros, a Mexican film that was a big hit in the USA in
      2001."
      At Cannes, "Arriaga waved a Mexican flag, and jury
      member Salma Hayek applauded wildly for her countryman as
      Arriaga dedicated his prize to 'all the Mexicans who cross
      the border in search of a better way of living.'" (See
      the Globe and Mail of Toronto for May 20, 2005, "Experts
      call for common North American border," and USA Today for
      May 23, 2005, "Tommy Lee Jones is one of Cannes' best--
      Twice-prized 'Burials' is about Mexican killed by border
      patrol," page 4D.)
      (Editor's Comment: And speaking of Mexican flags...)

      OREGONIANS OUTRAGED AT
      DISPLAY OF MEXICAN FLAG

      "Walking into the Oregon State Employment Office at
      119 North Oakdale Avenue" in Medford, Oregon (population
      63,154) "can already be a daunting experience for many who
      are looking for work or have to file a claim. To many it
      can be a stressful occasion. Being met by a Mexican flag
      hoisted above the Stars and Stripes on the back wall of
      this state-run office is for many, like Earl Howard of
      Shady Cove, Oregon, 'downright un-American.'"
      "Mr. Howard had been told by a friend who had been
      utilizing the services at the office about the (Mexican)
      flag's prominence."
      "According to Howard, a licensed electrician, he
      couldn't believe that a government agency would do such a
      thing. On the grounds that it might be an oversight, Mr.
      Howard headed to the employment office to see for himself
      and ask to speak to the manager, Jean Work."
      "Ms. Work was not there on that occasion and a woman
      whom Howard could only recall as 'Judy' came forward to
      assist him. 'I told her it was treason...' he said, in
      regard to the flag's presence and placement."
      "At that time, the representative informed Mr. Howard
      that it would be taken care of and the Mexican flag was
      removed, but not permanently."
      "Having been informed of the Mexican flag's
      replacement, Howard went back to the office to check.
      Seeing in fact that they had put the flag back up, he
      immediately called Oregon state representative Dennis
      Richardson and representative Greg Walden's offices to
      inform them of the issue. According to Howard, one clerk
      for Walden stated that there is a law pertaining to the
      flying of foreign flags in and around federal buildings,
      but the staffer wasn't certain about state agencies."
      Learning about the controversy, the newspaper US
      Observer attempted to reach Ms. Work but "was met with the
      same response, 'she's not here but a representative will
      be with you shortly.' And soon thereafter, Chris Rahn, an
      Employment Division employee, came out asking if he could
      be of any assistance, but when asked about the flag, he
      simply said, 'I can't comment on anything.' However, when
      he was asked about the Federal law restricting such
      activity, and if it were in fact legal, he said, 'We
      checked.'"
      "With whom? The Mexican embassy?" UFO Roundup editor
      Joseph Trainor commented, "According to the United States
      Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Section 175, and I quote, 'No
      person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any
      other national or international flag equal, above or in a
      position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place
      of, the flag of the United States at any place within the
      United States or any territory or possession thereof.'"
      "Nor do I see this as a uniquely American issue,"
      Trainor added, "How would the people in Nutley, Sussex, UK
      feel if the Union Jack were run down and replaced with the
      flag of Pakistan or Jamaica? How would Australians feel
      if their flag were replaced in Darwin or Cairns with the
      flag of Indonesia?"
      "According to Thomas E. Fuller, the Oregon Employment
      Offices Communications Manager, when asked about the
      Mexican flag, 'We go by the Department of Administrative
      Services...and there is no prohibition against a staff
      member displaying a flag in his cubicle.'"
      "While the (Mexican) flag is located above a desk, it
      is in clear view of the public, placed to the right of,
      and higher than, the American flag, which is just several
      feet away, and, as Mr. Howard, put it, 'can easily be
      interpreted as a move sanctioned by the state, as it is
      clearly visible.'"
      "Mr. Howard sees the flying of the Mexican flag in
      the state office as a symbol of change in our (USA)
      government, one that favors Mexican nationals."
      "'You have only to go into a government office once
      to see that all of the Spanish language pamphlets are
      outnumbering English ones,' said Lorraine Tillman, a
      Josephine County, Ore. resident, speaking out on the
      government's move toward, what some feel to be, an almost
      mandatory bilingual community."
      In other news, human rights activists in San Diego,
      California announced their plans to protest a border-watch
      operation, similar to the Minuteman Project, scheduled for
      August 2005.
      "On Saturday," May 21, 2005, "a group of about 30
      pro-immigrant activists met at San Diego City College to
      float ideas on how they can convince groups like Border
      Patrol Auxiliary and Friends of the Border Patrol that
      they are not welcome in San Diego, a spokesman for one of
      the groups said."
      "'And if they come, we will have a response and use
      our First Amendment rights to oppose (them),' said
      Christian Ramirez, director of the San Diego office of the
      American Friends Service Committee."
      "'Everybody has told us we have to do something about
      it,' he said, (The meeting) 'was the first step toward
      creating a united front to express our opposition to
      projects like the Minuteman Project and Friends of the
      Border Patrol.'"
      "'I'm (worried) that these groups will try to come to
      San Diego to provoke acts of violence,' Ramirez said."
      "One of the groups in the coalition that is being
      formed is called Border Angels, a group of volunteers that
      places bottles of water along the border for illegal
      immigrants to drink on their journey north."
      "Enrique Morones heads the group and was one of the
      organizers of Saturday's meeting."
      "'We are totally against these guys (the Minutemen--
      J.T.),' Morones said Monday," May 23, 2005, "'We are
      concerned they may act in a criminal manner and abuse
      civil and human rights.'"
      "Minuteman Project member Nancy Hubbard said her
      group is just trying to uphold the law."
      "'I don't believe that open borders are what most
      people in the U.S. want,' said Hubbard," a resident of
      Temecula, California.
      "Hubbard, who was involved in the Arizona border
      watch, said she and many others will be on the San Diego
      County border with Mexico this summer."
      "'It makes sense for us to go there, because the
      (USA) government will not do its job and so it's the job
      of the people to defend this country,' said Hubbard."
      "And while the Minuteman Project also touted its
      efforts as being purely to observe and report, many
      volunteers carried weapons, which they claimed were for
      self-defense purposes only."
      "Hubbard said during the Arizona project, two
      incidents occurred in which two people who had signed up
      with the group, 'tried to provoke incidents, but they
      didn't happen.'"
      "'There are certain people who want bad things to
      happen, then people will say, 'See? If the Minutemen
      weren't there, then these things wouldn't have happened,'
      Hubbard said."
      "Hubbard said if bad things occur, President George
      (W.) Bush will have to take responsibility."
      "'If the government was doing its job, there wouldn't
      be possible confrontations,' Hubbard said, 'The blame goes
      back to George Bush, who is welcoming them with open arms;
      I believe he is responsible.'" (See the U.S. Observer for
      May 20, 2005, "Placing Mexican flag above 'Old Glory,'"
      and California's North County Times for May 24, 2005,
      "Border watch opponents gear up for fight." Many thanks to
      Jim Danvers for these newspaper articles.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1962: DWELLERS ON
      TWO WORLDS

      Many science fiction authors have had curious
      encounters with the paranormal, but none quite as unusual
      as those of Philip K. Dick (1928-1982), long a fan
      favorite who, in recent years, has finally been coming
      into his own with the general public.
      "On December 16, 1928, in Chicago, Dorothy Kindred
      Dick gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. The babies
      were six weeks premature and very underweight. Unaware
      that she was not producing enough milk for both infants,
      and because no one--neither a family member nor a doctor--
      suggested to her that she supplement their diet with
      formula, Dorothy undernourished the twins during the first
      weeks of their lives."
      "On January 26, 1929, the baby girl, whom her parents
      had named Jane, died. She was buried in the cemetery in
      her father's hometown of Fort Morgan, Colorado. The
      little boy survived. His parents had his name, Philip,
      engraved alongside Jane's on the headstone; under his
      name, next to the dash that followed the date of birth he
      shared with his sister, a blank space was left."
      "Not long afterwards, the Dicks moved to California."
      "In Dorothy's case, the grief reaction was
      pronounced. In the first months of Phil's life, she kept
      a journal on his growth and behavior that testified to her
      love for the baby and nowhere focuses upon the death of
      the twin. But Dorothy's enduring anguish shows clearly in
      letters and conversations over the years dwelling on
      Jane's death and her role in it."
      But, for her twin brother Phil, Jane just wouldn't
      stay dead.
      "In his grade school years, Phil invented an
      imaginary playmate," a mysterious dark-haired girl who
      appeared repeatedly in his teenaged fiction. His
      imaginary playmate was a comfort "because he knew of Jane
      and yearned for her to be there, and if that seems
      strange--how could what had happened at his birth affect
      him so?--it can be corroborated by the testimony of
      anybody who has lost a twin."
      Phil's father, Joseph Edgar Dick, was originally from
      southwestern Pennsylvania. He had enlisted in the U.S.
      Army in 1916 and served throughout World War I.
      Afterwards, in 1920, he married Dorothy, put himself
      through school and got a job with the U.S. Department of
      Agriculture.
      Phil "was five when his parents separated and
      divorced" in 1933. Five years later, Dorothy took her son
      to San Francisco, where she "took a job in the U.S.
      Forestry Department office located on the Berkeley campus
      of the University of California...A feminist and pacifist,
      a tireless proponent of progressive ideas, Dorothy
      blossomed in this academic enclave in which one could be
      both an office worker and a women's rights activist."
      "Phil had asthma and episodes of tachycardia, and he
      took full advantage of his conditions to miss school at
      every opportunity. Even when she could tell he was faking
      symptoms, Dorothy," herself plagued by ill health, "played
      along and let him stay home." It didn't affect his
      academic performance. Phil was an A and B student all
      through school and, at an age when his classmates were
      reading the Hardy Boys or Don Winslow of the Navy, he was
      reading Immanuel Kant, William Burroughs, the Bible, the
      Bhagavad Gita and Finnegan's Wake.
      Phil "loved to tell the story of how he discovered
      SF: 'I was twelve (in 1940) when I read my first sf
      magazine...it was called Stirring Science Stories and ran,
      I think, four issues. The editor was Don Wollheim, who
      later on (in 1954--J.T.) bought my first novel...and many
      since. I came across the magazine quite by accident; I
      was actually looking for Popular Science. I was most
      amazed. Stories about science? At once I recognized the
      magic I had found, in earlier times, in the Oz
      books...this magic now coupled not with magic wands but
      with science...In any case, my view became magic equals
      science and science (of the future) equals magic...'"
      "He collected illustrated magazines with titles like
      Astounding! and Amazing! and Unknown! and these
      periodicals, in the guise of serious scientific
      discussion, introduced him to lost continents, haunted
      pyramids, ships that vanished mysteriously in the Sargasso
      Sea (now known as the Bermuda Triangle --J.T.). But he
      also read stories by Edgar Allan Poe and H.P. Lovecraft,
      the recluse from Providence, Rhode Island, whose
      protagonists face abominations too monstrous for them to
      name or even describe."
      (Editor's Comment: Reading Lovecraft, eh? Poor Phil.
      In no time at all, like my friend Terry says, he'll be
      "slip-sliding down the toboggan slope of bass-ackward
      evolution.")
      "From time to time, Phil saw his father, who had
      remarried and settled in Pasadena, where he worked for the
      (U.S.) Department of Commerce and became a regular on a
      local radio program called This is Your Government."
      (Editor's Comment: A radio show called This Is Your
      Government!? Man, that's scarier than anything Phil ever
      wrote!)
      In 1944, at age 16, Phil had his first paranormal
      experience.
      "Phil began having a recurring dream in which he
      found himself in a bookstore trying to locate an issue of
      Astounding! that would complete his collection. The rare,
      indeed, priceless issue contained a story entitled 'The
      Empire Never Ended' that, if only he could get his hands
      on it, would reveal the secrets of the universe to him."
      "The first time he had the dream he awoke just as he
      had worked his way down to the bottom of a pile of old
      magazines he was sure contained the prized issue. He
      waited anxiously for the dream to recur, and whenever it
      did he found the pile of magazines exactly as he had left
      it. Again he started rummaging through. With each
      recurrence of the dream, the pile became smaller and
      smaller, but he always awoke before he could get to the
      bottom of it."
      "He spent days reciting the story's title to himself,
      until he could no longer distinguish it from the sound of
      blood beating in his ears when he had a fever. He could
      see the letters that formed the words of the title; he
      could picture the cover illustration. The illustration
      worried him, even though--or because--he couldn't quite
      bring it into focus."
      "Over the course of weeks, Phil's desire to find the
      magazine turned into anxiety that he might actually do so.
      He knew that if he read 'The Empire Never Ended' the
      world's secrets would be revealed, but he also understood
      the danger of such knowledge. He had read it in
      Lovecraft: if we knew everything, we would go mad with
      terror."
      "Eventually, Phil began to see his dream as a
      diabolical trap. The buried issue was lying in wait,
      ready to devour him whole. Instead of tearing through the
      pile of magazines as he had at first, Phil tried to slow
      his fingers as they pulled one magazine after another from
      the pile, bringing him closer and closer to the final
      horror. He became afraid to fall asleep."
      "Then, for no apparent reason, he stopped having the
      dream. He awaited its return, first nervously, then
      impatiently; at the end of two weeks, he would have given
      anything for the dream to come back."
      (Editor's Note: Eventually, it did--over 30 years
      later, in 1977. But that's another story.)
      Phil wondered if he had some sort of psychic link to
      his dead sister. Or, even more amazingly, what if Jane
      were still alive and well and living in another world, a
      parallel universe containing a "twin" of our Earth?
      On "our" Earth, Jane Charlotte Dick had died on
      January 26, 1929, and Phil was the surviving twin. But
      what if things were reversed on that "other" Earth? What
      if Phil was the one who had died in 1929? What if there
      was another Jane living over there at right this moment, a
      dark-haired teenaged girl with the same interests in
      typing, reading and listening to music? What would that
      Earth be like?
      The idea simmered as Phil matured as a popular sci-fi
      writer in the 1950s. By 1957, he was contributing one
      short story per month to five different magazines.
      Finally, in 1962, the idea found expression in what Phil
      intended to be his first "mainstream" novel--The Man in
      the High Castle.
      In the "alternate history" of Castle, "after their
      final crushing victory over the Allies in 1947, the Axis
      powers divided up the world between them. The Third Reich
      has Europe, Africa and that portion of America east of the
      Rocky Mountains, while Japan rules Asia, the Pacific and
      America's western states. Chancellor Martin Bormann
      continues his predecessor's policies, turning an
      appreciable percentage of the Reich's subject populations
      into bars of soap and the African continent into...well,
      no one knows for sure, and no one really wants to know.
      The populations ruled by Japan, on the other hand, bear a
      more humane yoke of oppression--no concentration camps, no
      police terror."
      The setting is San Francisco, and the heroine is
      Juliana Frink--a thinly-disguised grown-up version of
      Phil's sister Jane. Indeed, "Juliana" even has the same
      job Phil had in the late 1940s and early 1950s, managing
      an antique store in the city with a sizable jazz
      collection.
      "There is, however, another text that exceeds even
      the I Ching in plot prominence--The Grasshopper Lies
      Heavy, a novel-within-a-novel in which the Allies, not the
      Axis, prevailed" in World War II. "In this twist, Phil
      was influenced by Ward Moore's (1953) novel, Bring the
      Jubilee, in which the South has won the (American) Civil
      War."
      "So threatening is its premise that Grasshopper is
      banned," and sci-fi writer Hawthorne Abendsen, the author,
      is forced to go into hiding in Cheyenne, Wyoming to avoid
      the Gestapo, which now operates on a global basis.
      Strange things start happening when Juliana finds a
      weird silver triangle pendant in her store. People begin
      slipping from her Earth into our world, as Phil chillingly
      describes in the case of Japanese official Nobosuke
      Tagomi.
      "Sitting on a bench in a public park in San
      Francisco, Tagomi distractedly takes a piece of
      (Juliana's) jewelry, a silver triangle, out of his pocket,
      and begins to rub it, then examine it. The silver catches
      the sun's rays."
      "Tagomi leaves the park, lost in thought. He tries
      to hail a bicycle taxi--a 'pedicab'--and is surprised to
      find none around. On reaching the waterfront, he is
      amazed by the spectacle before him: a gigantic swath of
      concrete stretches as far as the eye can see along the
      edge of the bay. It looks like a midway ride on a
      monstrous scale, swarming with strange-looking vehicles.
      He has passed here on any number of occasions and never
      seen this futuristic-looking structure that must have
      taken months, perhaps years, to build. He shuts his eyes
      and opens them again, but the apparition remains. In a
      panic, he stops a passerby and asks him to explain what
      this monstrosity before them is. The man's reply, that
      Tagomi is looking at the Embarcadero Freeway, fills him
      with confusion and dismay."
      "He goes into a coffee shop to seek solace, but the
      lunch counter is full, and none of the people there--all
      Caucasians--will give up their seats for him, even though
      as a Japanese" and an Occupation official "he should be
      shown more deference. He feels as if the earth is giving
      way under his feet. What nightmare has he fallen into?"
      Moments later, the silver triangle twinkles again,
      and Tagomi is returned to his familiar San Francisco, with
      its rickshaws, tea houses, geishas, miniature electronic
      devices, pedestrians and off-duty Japanese soldiers.
      The Man in the High Castle turned out to be a home
      run for Phil, winning him the Hugo Award for Best Novel in
      1963 and launching him into the front rank of American
      science fiction authors.
      Phil passed away on March 2, 1982. His father "Edgar
      Dick, very old now, came to retrieve his son's body and
      took it to Fort Morgan, Colorado, where Phil's gravesite
      had been waiting for him for fifty-three years. Only the
      date of his death needed to be engraved on the stone.
      When Phil was laid next to Jane, the old man, who until
      then had shown no emotion, saw the tiny coffin again and
      burst into sobs."
      Ever wonder what happened to the "other" Jane?
      Maybe we should pop over to that alternate Earth and
      have a look at the Neue Amsterdammer Zeitung for September
      11, 1983.

      SCI-FI AUTHOR KILLED
      IN BRONX CAR CRASH

      Jane C. Dick, two-time winner of the Hugo Award for
      science fiction, was killed yesterday afternoon when her
      rental car collided with a speeding fuel truck.
      Ms. Dick, 54, of Berkely, Cal. was in New Amsterdam
      to accept a Hugo Award--her second--at the Convention of
      Fantasy and Science Fiction Writers. She was on her way
      to the Plaza Hotel in Manhattan when the mishap occurred.
      She was awarded the 1983 Hugo Award for her novel
      Tranquillity Base, in which a team of American spacemen
      land on the moon and make contact with humanoid
      extraterrestrials.
      She received her first Hugo Award twenty years ago,
      in 1963, for The Sixth of June, a novel about a "parallel
      Earth" in which the Allies won the Second World War.
      Tranquillity Base was the long-awaited sequel.
      Ms. Dick was born in Chicago on December 16, 1928,
      the daughter of J. Edgar and the late Dorothy (Kindred)
      Dick. She grew up in the San Francisco area and graduated
      from the University of California at Berkeley in 1950.
      She published her first story in Incredible Space Stories
      while still an undergraduate.
      She published seven novels and 400 short stories
      during her lifetime.
      In 1953, she married fellow sci-fi author Hannes Bok,
      and they had three children. The couple divorced in 1969,
      two years before Bok's death.
      She is survived by her father and her three children.
      According to police, the fuel truck suffered a front-
      tire blowout and swerved into Ms. Dick's lane. Upon
      impact, the truck pushed the wrecked car into an
      intersection and struck another vehicle operated by
      Guadalupe Lopez of Blackrock Avenue, the Bronx.
      Mrs. Lopez and two of her daughters, Leslie and
      Lynda, escaped the blaze, police said, but a third
      daughter was killed.
      Police identified the fatality as Jennifer Lynn
      Lopez, 13, a student at the Preston Academy for Girls.
      Jennifer was on the school's track team, posting personal
      best times of 2:28 in the 800-meter run and 4:49 in the
      1,500-meter race. She is survived by her mother, her
      sisters and her father, David Lopez.
      A Traffic Division investigation of the mishap is
      continuing.

      Like Phil himself said, "If you don't like this
      world, you should see some of the others." (See I Am
      Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip
      K. Dick by Emmanuel Carrere, Metropolitan Books, Henry
      Holt & Company, New York, N.Y., 2004, pages 1, 2, 4, 5, 6,
      66 and 67; and Divine Invasions: A Life of Philip K. Dick
      by Lawrence Sutin, Harmony Books, Crown Publishers Inc.,
      New York, N.Y., 1989, pages 2, 3, 9, 10, 22, 23, 24, 25,
      31, 35, 46, 109 through 118.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for
      more UFO, Fortean and paranomal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan
      Productions, all rights reserved. Readers may post news
      items from UFO Roundup on their Web sites or in news
      groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
      item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, UFO News UK.