Fw: Latest News from the Astrobiology Magazine

  • Joe (uuk) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2005
      This post is so rich in information, I thought I would post it to
      the list in it's entirety!

      Joe
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16, 2005
        Nearly all of these articles appear to be of interest to the
        list, so I have forwarded the complete message:

        Joe
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4 3:15 AM
          Impactor Away
          http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1629.html

          One hundred and seventy-one days into its 172-day journey to
          comet Tempel 1, NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft successfully
          released its impactor. The separation of flyby spacecraft and the
          washing-machine-sized, copper-fortified impactor was one in a
          series of important mission milestones that capped off its
          successful encounter with the comet at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, PDT.
          The early images pointed to a smashing success, with bright
          ejecta and a massive dust cloud of rock and ice.

          The Pause before the Crash
          http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1628.html

          The Deep Impact spacecraft is nearing the comet Tempel 1. On
          Sunday, July 3, a smaller spacecraft will separate from the
          mothership, ready to sacrifice its life for the benefit of
          cometary scientists everywhere.

          New Planet, Largest Solid Core
          http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1627.html

          NASA researchers recently discovered the largest solid core ever
          found in an extrasolar planet, and their discovery confirms a
          planet formation theory.

          Mars in Pop Culture: Radio
          http://www.astrobio.net/news/article1626.html

          Historically, Mars was thought to be the most likely of the
          planets to harbor life. Popular culture in the form of
          literature, and then later radio and film, reflected such
          beliefs. This review examines Mars in the history of radio.

          Monday, July 04