UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 10

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 10, Number 10
      March 9, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      CTHULU'S D-DAY IN
      CALIFORNIA

      Well, it looks as if the squid assault on the beaches
      of Orange County was just a diversion. Cthulu and his
      undersea legions are making their main effort in the San
      Francisco Bay area.
      The San Francisco Chronicle reported "the arrival of
      another species of giant squid, the Humboldt squid, also
      called the 'jumbo squid,' offshore of the Bay area and
      along much of the Pacific Coast."
      "They average 15 to 60 pounds and generally measure
      up to 6 feet (1.8 meters) long, but there is a historical
      record of one that reached 700 pounds. They have not been
      seen in significant numbers off the Pacific Coast since
      1930."
      "But here they are, these giant squid, not hundreds,
      not thousands, but millions of them. They have roared in
      from the depths across the Pacific to within 20 miles (32
      kilometers) of Half Moon Bay and Bodega Bay. Many others
      have been detected in southern Baja (California), San
      Diego and even Oregon and Washington."
      "Like their 60-foot (18-meter) cousins from the
      deepwater trenches, they are voracious predators. They
      have 10 tentacles, including two long tentacles they use
      to pull their prey to their razor-sharp beaks."
      "Their tentacles are lined with teeth-lined sucker
      cups and, with 24 micro-teeth in each cup, each squid has
      over 25,000 teeth. They school in warm waters and then
      come up to swarm in maniacal feeding frenzies. When set
      off, they will even eat each other and anything else in
      their path."
      "They are roaming the canyons amid underwater
      seamounts off the Bay area, 400 to 2,000 (120 to 600
      meters) deep, and they can fire up to the surface,
      swarming around boats by the hundreds. Those aboard gawk
      in disbelief as the squid swirl and surge in 20-foot (6-
      meter) blasts from their water jets, changing from the
      classic white-beach color to black, red or opaque with a
      phosphorescent glow."
      "The discovery started on New Year's Day (Saturday,
      January 1, 2005) on a scientific research trip out of
      Bodega Bay run by Rick Powers aboard the New Sea Angler.
      Powers had volunteered his boat for a research trip by the
      National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to
      study rockfish reproduction at Cordell Bank."
      "'I was looking for chilipepper rockfish, so we ran
      to the deep water at the Bank, 380 to 450 feet (130 to 175
      meters) of water, and looking at my fishfinder, I saw this
      little mark at the bottom,' he said, 'We let down and
      started hauling giant squid.'"
      "In the past three weeks, the discovery had turned
      into a phenomenon."
      "In 13 trips on the New Sea Angler to Cordell Bank, a
      total of 640 people (40 per trip) have caught some 9,000
      squid, taking an average of 14 squid per person. The
      average squid has been 20 pounds, with the largest
      weighing 58 pounds, caught by Pat Martin of Sacramento,"
      California's state capital. "Most fishermen are going
      home with 150 to 200 pounds of one-inch (2.5-centimeter)
      thick calamari steaks."
      "Out of Half Moon Bay, Captain Tom Mattusch had
      similar success when he made the first squid-hunting trip
      in his boat, Huli Cat. His first trip, with six people
      aboard, was a shock, catching 53 squid. It was the first
      time that Humboldt squid had ever been taken by
      recreational anglers off Half Moon Bay."
      "In San Diego this past week, it was a similar story,
      where 51 anglers aboard the boat New Seaforth caught 290
      squid."
      "And yet you can get skunked just as easily, as
      Powers reported from a trip last weekend. The squid were
      so voracious and such fast swimmers that they were
      continually on the move in their search for food. 'Now
      you see them, now you don't."
      "Most credit the arrival of the giant squid in these
      waters to the nation's mild El Nino event, where the water
      is 54 to 57 degrees (Fahrenheit) off the Bay area coast
      instead of a more typical 47 to 52 degrees" in February.
      "Sunfish, also known as mola molas, more typical to
      southern California waters, have also been spotted in the
      Gulf of Farallones in the past two weeks. According to
      scientists, these squid will eat 10 to 25 pounds of meat
      daily and can grow an inch (2.5 centimeters) in that day,
      and yet they live only a year to two."
      "Yet it can get crazier. When you bring one to the
      surface, hundreds of giant squid can suddenly surround the
      boat, and they can start attacking each other. According
      to one story, one squid was being gaffed at the rail--
      another squid shot into the air and attacked the gaffe,
      and then several more appeared and attacked the jumping
      squid." (See the San Francisco Chronicle for February 28,
      2005, "They came from beneath the sea. Just like in 1930.
      Giant squid crowd Bay area by the millions." Many thanks
      to Terry Duckworth, "the Archimagos Maximus of
      Tsathoggua," for this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Note: For more on California's giant squid
      invasion, see UFO Roundup, volume 10, number 4 for January
      26, 2005, "Hundreds of squid invade southern California,"
      page 2.)

      REAL-LIFE "NIGHTCRAWLER"
      TERRIFIES CITY IN ARGENTINA

      A weird acrobatic intruder, with abilities similar to
      the hero Nightcrawler of the comic book X-Men, is
      terrifying the population of Santa Fe, a large city in
      northern Argentina.
      "Local residents say it jumps from house to house, is
      dressed in black and has red eyes. After hundreds of
      complaints, (Argentinian) police are looking for it."
      "Santa Fe," capital of the province of the same name,
      a large city located 400 kilometers (250 miles) northwest
      of Buenos Aires, "is jumping. Residents of the southern
      area are frightened by the appearance of a strange entity
      they've labeled el Loco Tejado (Spanish for Rooftop
      Madman--J.T.) and who, according to the accounts, leaps
      from roof to roof, engaging in acrobatics."
      Like Springheeled Jack of Victorian London or
      Hanuman, the Monkey Monster who terrorized New Delhi four
      years ago, the entity has been seen performing impossible
      feats--scaling sheer walls like Spider-Man or leaping from
      one darkened rooftop to another like Daredevil. (For more
      on Hanuman, see UFO Roundup, volume 6, number 21 for May
      24, 2001, "India cites Hanuman for two murders," page 1,
      and "Hanuman goes on a rampage in India's Trans-Yumana,"
      page 2.)
      "Witnesses claim it stands 2 meters (6 feet, 6
      inches) tall, is entirely clad in black and wears a
      balaclava (a ski cap that shows only the eyes--J.T.). It
      sports a cape and its eyes shine red. This character in
      black likes to cross streets by leaping from one rooftop
      to the next, taking athletic leaps that can be up to 5
      meters (16 feet) high and 10 meters (33 feet) long."
      "'He looks like the cat man,' locals say, 'His
      outline is barely visible. He never showed his face. But
      they say they've seen his eyes, and they have a reddish
      cast.'"
      "Sheriff Gabriel Legstra acknowledged that 'this is
      an undisguised psychosis. In recent days, we have
      received hundreds of reports at our radio command center.
      On Tuesday, (March 1, 2005) I dispatched 18 units (police
      cruisers--J.T.) to assuage people's fears. But
      ultimately, there is no other crime but trespassing here.
      This character goes from one roof to the next, appears
      outside a house and presses his face against a window but
      hasn't attacked anyone."
      According to the Argentinian newspaper La Capital,
      "he first appeared in (the) Barrio Centenario (district),
      only meters from the Colon Stadium, but they say he was
      seen much closer to town, such as in the barrios El
      Arenal, San Lorenzo, Chalet and Santa Rosa de Lima. This
      is the area most affected by the 2003 flood."
      "Mystery grew when witnesses said that 'bullets won't
      do anything to it. Its eyes gleam red to warn off those
      who try to hurt it.'"
      "A resident of El Arenal claimed having fired 17
      times against it without the bullets having the least
      effect. The ghost did nothing but prowl about, howl like
      a beast or cry like a child, making dance steps on the
      rooftop over which it travels like a cat."
      "'People are afraid of being attacked, beaten and
      robbed by the man. They fear he will break into their
      property and are defending themselves,' say those in
      Regional Unit 1, who in turn describes the locals as
      'expectant and armed with knives and sticks.'"
      "Most locals describe a being that appears to have
      sprung from a comic book: large in statue who not only
      crosses rooftops but also crosses the streets in a single
      bound and even climbed sheer walls up to 6 meters (20
      feet) high."
      "'It is the Devil!' say the locals and some
      imaginative ones."
      "Sheriff Legstra said that a woman told him 'the
      entity pointed to her with his finger and left her
      paralyzed.'"
      "Another local man said that last Monday (February
      28, 2005), during an intense rain, the phantom managed to
      jam the car door of a vehicle with seven passengers
      aboard, who were armed and ready to hunt it down despite
      police warnings."
      "Residents of Santa Fe neighborhoods like Centenario
      and San Lorenzo are in an uproar over the incredible
      stories concerning the appearance of the ghostly entity."
      "It is the reason that many--at nightfall--lock
      themselves in and bolt the door. In all fairness, it must
      also be said that many pluck up their courage and go out
      in search of the ghost, armed with sticks, machetes and
      dark intentions."
      "On (Tuesday) March 1 (2005), Elsa let out a scream
      that was heard all along the Calle Entre Rios (street) and
      gave everyone goosebumps--so much that even the hardened
      boys of the El Pasillo (street) gang were alarmed."
      "Elsa, a hairstylist whose salon is located in the
      heart of barrio San Lorenzo, took to the street,
      surrounded by nephews, to tell anyone who was willing to
      listen that, while she was bathing the youngest one, the
      ghost pressed his face against the bathroom window,
      showing its claws menacingly and firing a menacing stare
      at her."
      "Everyone seemed in urgency after this new story,
      almost immediately those who were standing guard in vast
      numbers, wielding heavy clubs, shiny machetes, stilletos,
      pen knives and even humble kitchen knives."
      "Those around who were willing to settle the score,
      they went out after the apparition while various police
      patrols reached the site with the intention of avoiding a
      panicked lynching or a tragic mistake among the vigilantes
      themselves."
      "Ruben agreed with Elsa who said the phantom has red
      eyes like fire and told others that the horrifying
      personage dresses in black from head to toe."
      "Ruben also said, while everyone around him nodded,
      that the character being sought is a tall man with a long
      wavy mane of hair. And for that, our interviewee (Ruben)
      claims having seen it--together with his neighbors--as it
      emerged from Elsa's house, leaping from rooftop to
      rooftop."
      "'How do you explain,' he replied to a question" the
      newspaper El Litoral "asked, 'How this guy can climb a
      smooth wall 6 meters (20 feet) tall? How can you explain
      that it can leap across the street in a single bound, like
      the way it crossed Entre Rios Street, unless it was the
      Devil himself?'"
      "While a respectful silence had settled around Ruben-
      -a silence that would be interrupted only by the
      appearance of a police officer--they asked in turn, 'How
      can you explain why we couldn't catch him, when we shot
      him three times and hit him twice?'"
      "Sheriff Legstra asked local residents to remain
      calm. Until that moment, no one had been attacked or
      injured, he claimed."
      "Witnesses 'describe it as clad in black with red
      eyes. They say it can leap 5 meters (16 feet) into the
      air or 10 meters (33 feet) in length. That it can cross
      streets at a single bound."
      Sheriff Legstra said, "I have no official reports
      that any (police) agent has seen something similar. I was
      in the area yesterday (Thursday, March 3, 2005), and, as
      has occurred on the four preceding nights, I heard reports
      of people claiming to have seen it. In other words, it
      was being seen in three different locations at the same
      time."
      (Editor's Comment: To quote Famke Janssen in X2, "He's a
      teleporter.")
      The sheriff added, "Police who were dispatched said
      nothing was found."
      "As part of the new psychosis," he concluded, "That
      an episode such as this should repeat itself is something
      we fear, which is why we are asking people not to go out,
      to let the police do their job, to stay home. Police are
      in the area. In fact, the situation calmed down a lot
      last night. There were less people on the street, but I
      still ask everyone to let us do our job to avoid problems,
      to avoid any injuries since there are people armed with
      sticks and machetes looking for this character."
      (See the Argentinian newspapers La Capital for March 2,
      2005, "Terror in Santa Fe;" El Litoral for March 2, 2005,
      "With the Devil at the window;" and Litoral del Dia for
      March 4, 2005, "Police chase 'the Rooftop Madman.'"
      Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez Orellana
      por estes articulos.)
      (Editor's Comment: Meanwhile, at the Daily Planet..."Hey,
      Lois, I got to take a quick run down to Argentina. Want
      me to bring home any yerba mate?")

      LARGE TRIANGULAR UFOs
      SEEN TWICE IN VIRGINIA

      On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, eyewitnesses Cathy
      and Tom were driving south on the Capital Beltway,
      Interstate Highway I-495, when they saw something strange
      in the night sky.
      The couple reported, "As we approached Langley Air
      Force Base on the interstate, we noticed two distinct
      triangular bright lights ahead. We continued and passed
      directly underneath the large object. We looked up and
      could see that there were actually four triangular lights.
      Two were directly opposite each other, then further down
      the object there were two more but set well off from each
      other. On one end of the object, there was a small red
      light, and on the other end a very small blue-green
      light."
      "The object was completely stationary. No movement
      whatsoever. It remained so for the entire time we were
      able to keep it in sight. It was hard to tell the height,
      maybe 1,000 to 1,500 feet (300 to 450 meters) up. The
      object was dark. A very large object and it seemed very
      long."
      On Tuesday, February 22, 2005, at 12:54 a.m., Nate T.
      was outdoors at his home in Charlottesville, Virginia
      (population 45,049) when a strange object appeared in the
      sky from the west.
      Nate reported, "The object was a massive triangular
      shape with four big lights at the back and three small
      lights in the front. It also had four rows of windows on
      each side. You could see creatures looking out of them."
      "It approached from the west and hovered for five
      minutes, then flew away at 100 miles per hour (160
      kilometers per hour). It was black, large and triangular.
      It was hovering about 50 feet (15 meters) in the air. It
      approached at 30 to 40 miles per hour (50 to 64 kilometers
      per hour) but then sped off at 100 miles per hour."
      (Email Form Reports)

      STRANGE ENCOUNTER IN
      MURRIETA, CALIFORNIA

      On Sunday, February 27, 2005, at 1:30 a.m.,
      eyewitness Nicole was asleep in her bedroom in Murrieta,
      California (population 44,282) when "I was awakened by a
      weird noise that came from outside my window. When I woke
      up from a deep sleep, I saw my entire room was lighted
      with red and white lights flying everywhere. I knew this
      was not a dream because I was awake from that slight motor
      noise as the craft itself was moving away at slow speed."
      "When I woke up, I finally saw the lights disappear.
      I didn't notice any craft, but I sure noticed some lights
      that freaked me out."
      "I also have seen a cigar-shaped craft just hovering
      over town here in Murrieta. It was a clear night but dark
      so it had no colors I could make out. It was 610 feet
      (185 meters) off the ground."
      Murrieta, Cal. is on Interstate Highway I-15 about 40
      miles (64 kilometers) southeast of Los Angeles. (Email
      Form Report)

      SAUCER TRACKS WOMAN
      MOTORIST IN PARMA, OHIO

      On Thursday, March 3, 2005, Miss Clark, the
      eyewitness, "was driving south on Broadview and stopped at
      the light in Pleasant Valley" in Parma, Ohio (population
      85,655), a suburb south of Cleveland.
      "She saw an object hovering above Topps grocery store
      about 200 to 300 feet (60 to 90 meters) up. The object
      moved south as she drove south" towards Broadview Heights
      (population 15,967), and then it crossed the road to hover
      above the Lube Shop on the east side of the road close to
      Sprague Road."
      "She stopped the car at a parking lot on Broadview
      and Sprague and looked at the object from inside the car.
      She heard no sound coming from the object. It had a
      bright white light shining out and other bluish-green
      lights, as well. She said it was like a flattened oval on
      the bottom, and two box-like structures were on top like a
      multi-layer cake. It started moving north at a
      fast pace and moved out of sight."
      "The sighting lasted from 10:39 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. on
      Thursday (March 3, 2005)," her brother, Aaron Clark,
      reported, "She called me at 10:36 p.m. on her cell phone.
      I told her to sketch it, and she did. I told her to keep
      a camera and a videocamera in her car from now on. This
      is the third UFO she's seen since November (2004). She
      doesn't even like to talk about UFOs."
      Parma is on Ohio Route 94 approximately 8 miles (12
      kilometers) south of Cleveland. (Many thanks to Aaron
      Clark for this report.)

      LARGE TRIANGULAR UFO
      HOVERS IN MONROE, N.Y.

      On Sunday, February 20, 2005, Tara Kyles "was driving
      on the New York Thruway between Monroe, N.Y. (population
      7,780) and the next stop going about 10 miles (16
      kilometers) south from the end of the Thruway. I was
      driving south on the Thruway at 11 p.m. in a snowstorm.
      We were driving very slow, approximately 35 miles per hour
      (56 kilometers per hour) due to the heavy snow, when I
      noticed a bright light to my right (east--J.T.)."
      "I looked up and saw black triangular-shaped object
      with three bright lights, one on each corner. It seemed
      to be hovering and stationary right above the treetops. I
      heard no noise though my (car) windows were closed, and I
      watched it for as long as I could."
      "As we passed the area, my line of view was blocked
      by the trees. I'd estimate that it was about 100 feet (30
      meters) back from the road and about 50 feet (15 meters)
      in the air. It seemed strange that it was so close to the
      road and the treetops. Black triangle shape, bright white
      lights on each corner, very flat and large, at least 50
      feet (15 meters) wide. I only saw it hovering in one spot
      above the trees."
      Monroe, N.Y. is on Interstate Highway I-84 about 50
      miles (80 kilometers) northwest of New York City.
      Curiously, the site of Tara's encounter is only a mile or
      two west of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
      (Email Form Report)
      (Editor's Comment: Now, what would a UFO be doing
      hovering a mile from the West Point campus during a heavy
      snowstorm? Could there be "silent contactees" in the
      Corps of Cadets? Just a thought...)

      BOOMERANG-SHAPED UFO
      SEEN IN MAPLE RIDGE, B.C.

      On Monday, February 28, 2005, at 8 p.m., eyewitness
      A.R. sighted, "many red and blue blinking lights that
      seemed to get closer and closer" to her home in Maple
      Ridge, British Columbia, Canada (population 56,173).
      "I thought it was a plane at first and then realised
      that it made no sound like any other plane that had flown
      over the house," she reported, "It looked like a huge
      boomerang, bigger than your average plane. The ones off
      in the distance all seemed to be flashing, going up and
      down and from side to side. The ones off in the distance
      seemed to be moving at great speeds."
      The UFO closest to her house "was 1,000 feet (300
      meters) off the ground. Also, I noticed the moon didn't
      come up until 11:30 p.m. The object closest to me had red
      and blue and orange blinking lights."
      Maple Ridge, B.C. is just north of the Fraser River,
      about 20 miles (32 kilometers) east of Vancouver. (Email
      Form Report)

      MORE CROP CIRCLES APPEAR
      IN EASTERN ARGENTINA

      Three new crop circles appeared at a private airfield
      on the outskirts of Nueve de Julio, a small city in
      Argentina's Buenos Aires province.
      "Strange circular marks were detected on the runway
      grass at the Nueve de Julio Aero Clube on Thursday,
      January 27, 2005. Jorge Marcelo Ayram, the manager in
      charge of the club, discovered the odd imprints while
      mowing the runway apron. Upon being consulted about the
      origin of the circles, he pointed out that his watchdog
      had been restless the previous evening, disturbed and
      howling and prompting her owner to get up and check on
      her."
      "The time was 2 a.m., and Ayram, who was standing
      next to the dog, saw a strange light toward the front of
      their air station. At first he believed it was the full
      moon, but the size of the phenomenon and its sudden
      disappearance made him think otherwise."
      "Members of CUFOS-La Pampa," an Argentinian UFO study
      group, "visited the site on Friday, February 18, 2005, and
      discovered three circles aligned to each other, on the
      surface and aiming northward. The first measured 80
      centimeters in diameter; the second 1.3 meters (4 feet) in
      diameter; and the third 10 to 12 meters (33 to 40 feet) in
      diameter. The outline traced by the circles shows dark
      open grass which contrasts sharply with the surrounding
      undergrowth."
      Nueve de Julio is located about 200 kilometers (120
      miles) west-southwest of the city of Buenos Aires,
      Argentina's capital. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y
      Raul Oscar Chavez para estas noticias. For more on
      Argentina's current spurt of crop circles, see UFO
      Roundup, volume 10, number 7 for February 16, 2005, "Crop
      circles appear in eastern Argentina," page 2.)

      HOVERING UFO SEEN BY
      A GIRL IN MONTREAL

      On Wednesday, February 23, 2005, at 9 p.m., her
      boyfriend had come over, Morgan B. reported, "When he had
      to leave, my dad drove him home, and I went with them.
      While we were in the car," near Pointe Claire in Montreal,
      Quebec, Canada, "I was staring out the window, and I
      thought I saw a UFO."
      "We were driving west, and it was coming from the
      south (my left side--M.B.). It was just before the
      overpass on St. Jean. At first I thought it was an
      airplane because it was kind of shaped like one, but, as I
      looked harder, I came to believe that it wasn't."
      "The lighting on it wasn't like that of an airplane.
      In only had round white-yellowish lights, and they were
      surrounding the bottom and, I think, the sides of it. It
      wasn't making any noise, and it wasn't moving. It was
      just sitting there."
      "I can't estimate how high it was. But it was pretty
      big...or just close to the ground. But since it was
      shaped like an airplane, I just dropped the thought that
      it might be a UFO."
      "Then we dropped my boyfriend off at his house and
      started back. Around the same spot where I saw the UFO, I
      looked out the (car) window out of curiosity to see if it
      was still there...and, to my surprise, it was!"
      "It didn't move. It was still just sitting there. I
      got freaked out and told my dad about it. Then I looked
      out the window. I saw it moving away really fast, going
      towards the north. I looked out the other window facing
      to the north, and the UFO was gone. It just vanished."
      "I don't know exactly what I saw, but if anyone else
      thinks they've seen the same thing, please contact me."
      (Email Form Report)

      CRAZY CROC SPOTTED IN
      SANTA ROSA, ARGENTINA

      A "crazy croc" (cocodrilo loco en espanol--J.T.)
      surprised two women at a public beach in Santa Rosa, the
      capital of La Pampa province in Argentina, a city
      notorious for its ongoing UFO flap.
      "Two women were walking around the edge of Lagoa Don
      Tomas (lake) in the west end of Santa Rosa" on Wednesday,
      March 2, 2005, "and reported seeing a strange creature."
      "Upon being interviewed, the witnesses--described as
      reputable, eminently reliable individuals--explained that
      they had seen 'an aquatic animal resembling a reptile, not
      an ophidian (serpent or snake--J.T.), measuring 1.5 meters
      (5 feet) long and of considerable size' for a matter of
      minutes."
      "This remarkable event occurred during the early
      morning hours and at one of the lake's beaches, located on
      the north shore near the Republica de los Ninos
      playground."
      "The circumstances become even stranger because the
      sector in question, of a small size, represents only a
      fraction of the lake, more aptly described as a marshland
      or bird sanctuary. The news was echoed by the local
      manager, and the witnesses requested that their identities
      be kept strictly confidential." (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Raul Oscar Chavez para estas noticias.)

      FIRE POLTERGEIST BURNS
      TWO BOATS IN MARYLAND

      "An early morning fire destroyed one cabin cruiser
      and damaged another this morning (Tuesday, March 1, 2005)
      at the Pochahontas Creek Yacht Club and Marina in
      Edgewater," Maryland (population 1,400), "county Fire
      Department officials said."
      "In addition to land-based fire equipment, county and
      Annapolis fire boats also responded to the scene at 3315
      Pochahontas Drive, said Lt. Russell Davies, a Department
      spokesman. Thirty-four firefighters had the blaze under
      control just after 8 a.m."
      Boat owner "Jerome Clark told fire investigators he
      was asleep on his 42-foot (12-meter) Cooper Prowler and
      woke up when the engine started. It is unclear how it
      started."
      "Mr. Clark said he saw fire coming from around the
      helm but was unable to put it out with a fire
      extinguisher. He got off the boat safely."
      "Lt. Davies said Mr. Clark is not a live-aboard but
      does sleep in the boat about four nights a week."
      "The fire spread to Michael Burke's 45-foot (13-
      meter) Silverton Cynful. Mr. Burke, of Edgewater, wasn't
      on his six-year-old boat but had arrived on the scene
      while firefighters were there."
      "The cause of the fire is under investigation."
      Edgewater is on Route 2, Solomons Island Road, about
      2 miles (3.2 kilometers) southwest of Annapolis, Md.
      Fortean researcher Loren Coleman pointed out a
      strange case of lexilinks or name similarities. The
      marina fire in Maryland, Loren reported, "came on the
      heels of Jerome Clark, 33, of Springfield, Mass.
      (population 152,082) being sentenced to 12 years in prison
      on two counts of the sale of crack cocaine in the Mason
      Square area of Springfield. I'm not making this stuff up.
      Yes, it was Mason Square."
      (Editor's Comment: And this Clark was 33. Very
      interesting.)
      Loren pointed out that both the boat owner and the
      defendant have the same name as world-reknowned ufologist
      Jerome Clark, 58, the author of The UFO Encyclopedia and
      numerous other books on UFOs.
      "Alas, this is merely the Cosmic Jokester's 'name
      game' making a return," Loren said, "Ufological historian
      Jerome Clark, 58, lives in Minnesota and, at last report,
      he is not the owner of a $150,000 to $200,000, 42-foot,
      1989 Cooper Prowler in Maryland. Or even a rowboat. And
      he doesn't smoke crack, either. But maybe somebody is
      bothering 'Jerome Clarks.'" (See the newspaper The
      Capital of Annapolis, Md. for March 1, 2005, "Boat
      destroyed in Edgewater blaze.")
      (Editor's Comment: I can see where a fire poltergeist set
      fire to the boat's helm. But who...or what...turned on
      the engine, saving Clark's life? A guardian angel?)

      BRIDGEWATER TRIANGLE
      BURIED IN SNOW...AGAIN!

      Just a month after "the Blizzard of 2005" dumped 30
      inches (75 centimeters) of snow on the region,
      Massachusetts' notorious "Bridgewater Triangle" was struck
      by another major snowstorm on Monday, February 28, 2005.
      The three points of the "triangle" are the towns of
      Abington, Rehoboth and East Freetown, Mass. Strange
      phenomena, including UFOs, Bigfoot, phantom panthers and
      gigantic birds, have been documented in the area dating
      back to 1670.
      The snowstorm "plowed up the East Coast on Monday
      with a threat of more than a foot of blowing snow. Storm
      watches and warnings were posted as far north as Maine,
      and snow-coated roads appeared as far south as North
      Carolina and eastern Kentucky."
      "Ten inches had fallen by afternoon at North
      Carolina's Mount Mitchell and more than 8 inches was on
      the ground in western Virginia, where police blamed the
      weather for 100 traffic accidents."
      Northwestern New Jersey and the Pocono mountains of
      Pennsylvania received up to 15 inches (38 centimeters) of
      snow.
      In the Northeast, Providence, R.I. and Hartford,
      Conn. received 6 inches (15 centimeters) of snow during
      the storm, which ended Tuesday morning, March 1, 2005.
      But the heaviest snowfall in the region was on Cape Cod in
      Massachusetts and in the Bridgewater Triangle."
      In Taunton, Mass. (population 55,976), in the heart
      of the Triangle, "as another nor'easter came to an end,
      the city's Department of Public Works (DPW) made the roads
      driveable again, and city officials planned to begin its
      federal storm aid application process."
      "According to the National Weather Service, 11.3
      inches (29 centimeters) of new snow was dumped on the city
      Monday night. Gil Enos, assistant to the mayor, said the
      DPW did an excellent job. 'The roads were (cleared) down
      to the pavement,' he said."
      "Taunton Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) Director
      Richard E. Ferreira also gave the DPW a thank-you. 'I was
      out at 5:30 a.m., for a good hour, hour and a half--the
      roads were in decent shape,' he said, 'There weren't too
      many accidents, either. People were using their heads.'"
      "Nearly all Bristol County area public schools were
      closed, including the Bridgewater-Raynham and Dighton-
      Rehoboth regional school districts. But area children
      enjoyed the effects of another winter storm"
      "The January (2005) blizzard prompted Governor Milt
      Romney to request federal assistance that was authorized
      under the emergency declaration issued by President George
      W. Bush, said Ferreira, 'Fourteen counties all received
      aid.'"
      Thirteen miles (22 kilometers) to the west, in
      Attleboro (population 42,068), "so far this season, 82.75
      inches (206 centimeters) of snow have fallen in Attleboro,
      making this the third snowiest winter since the city's
      Water Department started keeping records in 1938." (See
      the Minneapolis, Minn. Star-Tribune for March 1, 2005,
      "Snowstorm pushes up East Coast;" also the Taunton, Mass.
      Daily Gazette for March 2, 2005, "Buried again," page 1;
      and the Attleboro, Mass. Sun-Chronicle for March 2, 2005,
      "Winter blahs strike," page 1. Many thanks to Mary Lou
      Jones-Drown for the Massachusetts newspaper articles.)

      BANDA SEA QUAKE JOLTS
      NORTHERN AUSTRALIA

      "Darwin residents were given a shake last night
      (Wednesday, March 2, 2005) as an earthquake of 7.1 on the
      Richter scale hit the city," the capital of Australia's
      Northern Territory, "which had an epicentre 660 kilometers
      (410 miles) north of the coast."
      "Earthquake experts say the tremor that rattled
      Darwin yesterday evening was too deep to cause damage."
      "The Northern Territory was rattled by the large
      quake in the Banda Sea," the epicenter being 2,550
      kilometers (1,580 miles) east of Jakarta, the capital of
      Indonesia."
      "There have been no reports of damage in Darwin,
      Katherine and Tennant Creek."
      "The director of the Australian Seismological Centre
      in Canberra (Australia's capital--J.T.), Kevin McCue, says
      the earthquake was 100 kilometers (60 miles) beneath the
      earth's surface."
      "'We have about one of these every week somewhere in
      the world, so while it's a major earthquake, because it's
      happened where it's happened, there's probably no damage
      resulting from this earthquake,' he said."
      "He said there was no chance of a tsunami and
      aftershocks were unlikely."
      "Hundreds of people fled the Darwin Casino for a
      brief period of time" because of the tsunami danger "given
      the recent (December 26, 2004) devastating tsunami in
      Asia."
      "A diner in the Casino said the building shook for
      several minutes."
      "'Suddenly, the building was shaking, and we didn't
      know what was going on at first, and then we realised
      there was an earthquake going on,' the diner said."
      "Beth Crase said she ran out of the Darwin Cinema."
      "'My thought was that if the epicentre was somewhere
      in Asia or somewhere not here, then perhaps it was much
      stronger than we experienced here, and I just thought, I
      hope this isn't another big one!' she said."
      "A nightclub staff member, Alicia, said punters shook
      in their seats and it was scary."
      "'Everybody was pretty crazed at the time, actually,'
      she said."
      "There were no reports of damage in the city."
      "Hundreds of callers rang the ABC (Australian
      Broadcasting Corp.--J.T.) from as far afield as
      Katherine," about 300 kilometers (180 miles) south of
      Darwin, "Milingimbi in Arnhemland, Jabiru in Kakadu
      National Park, and Daly River, southwest of Darwin."
      "On the Tiwi Islands, the earth shook for about two
      minutes."
      "Robin Deans from Nguiu on Bathurst Island," 60
      kilometers (36 miles) north of Darwin, "said diners at her
      bistro sat through the eerie, but silent, experience."
      "The Indonesian Meteorological Agency said the tremor
      was felt in the coastal towns of Jayapura, Sorong, Merauke
      and Manokwari, in easternmost Papua province, as well as
      in Ambon, a city in Maluku province."
      "Residents in the coastal town of Waingapu in East
      Nusa Tenggara province (the Lesser Sunda Islands, across
      the Arafura Sea from Darwin--J.T.) also experienced earth
      movements."
      "A policeman in Jayapura, Suryadi Diaz, told Agence
      France Presse that the quake was 'hardly felt,' and no
      casualties or damage had been reported following the
      tremor."
      "A soldier on duty in Ambon also said he had not
      received reports of death or destruction from town
      residents." (See the Australian Broadcasting Corp. news
      report for March 3, 2005. Many thanks to Scott Pengelly
      for this news story.)

      FIFTY NEW GIANT DRAWINGS
      FOUND IN PERU'S DESERT

      "Archaeologists have discovered a group of giant
      figures sculpted out of the hills of Peru's southern
      coastal desert which are believed to predate the
      previously-found Nazca lines."
      "All 50 figures were etched all over a roughly 90-
      square-mile area near the city of Palpa, 220 kilometers
      (132 miles) southeast of Lima, the capital of Peru."
      Monica Gaetano de Silva, UFO Roundup's correspondent
      in Peru, reported that "Palpa is a town south of Ica.
      It's a really isolated area, in the valley of the Rio
      Grande. To the north is a 20-kilometer (12-mile) stretch
      of desert called the Pampa de Huayuri. To the south is
      the Pampa Colorada, 800 square kilometers of barren desert
      which brings you to the Nazca lines. The Rio Grande
      valley is famous for its oranges. It's the heart of
      Peru's citrus industry."
      "The (Palpa) drawings --which include human figures
      as well as animals such as birds, monkeys and felines--are
      believed to have been created by members of the Paracas
      culture between 600 and 100 B.C., said Johny Islas, the
      director of the Andean Institute for Archaeological
      Studies."
      "One prominent figure appears to represent a deity
      depicted on textiles and ceramics from the period, Islas
      said."
      "The recently discovered designs predate the
      country's famous Nazca lines, which have mystified
      scientists and were added to the United Nations' Cultural
      Heritage List in 1994."
      "The Nazca lines--which also include petroglyphs of
      various animals--cover a 58-kilometer (35-mile) stretch of
      desert about 400 kilometers (250 miles) south of Lima and
      are one of Peru's top tourist attractions. The Nazca
      culture flourished from 50 B.C. to 600 A.D., Islas said."
      (See the newspaper El Comercio of Lima, Peru for February
      28, 2005. Muchas gracias a Monica Gaetano de Silva por
      este articulo de diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: So the pre-Columbian Paracas, like the
      Nazcas, were building images than can only be seen from
      the air. Why? Who were they trying to signal?)

      J.LO!? OHHHH, NO!

      "It's not exactly Britain's Prince Harry donning a
      Nazi uniform for a costume party. But the jacket Jennifer
      Lopez wore for a recent German TV spot might raise some
      eyebrows."
      "Detailed on the cuff of the white lambskin-with-
      rabbit-fur hood jacket is a design with both German
      military and biker overtones: an Iron Cross, a lightning
      bolt and two skulls, a design that Los Angeles tattoo
      researcher Terisa Green suggests is reminiscent of the
      'death's head' patches worn by SS troopers during World
      War II. The wings emerging behind the heads were also
      elements in military symbolism."
      (Editor's Comments: Just a couple of quick points here.
      Prince Harry wore a khaki jacket of the Deutsches Afrika
      Korps (DAK), a formation of the German Wehrmacht, not the
      Nazi party. Also, the DAK went out of business in May
      1943, over sixty years ago, and is hardly a threat today.)
      "The Iron Cross was once a proud symbol of courage
      among German soldiers. But in World War II, Adolf Hitler
      superimposed a swastika on the cross, and today even the
      traditional Iron Cross often evokes images of the Third
      Reich."
      "The designer of the one-of-a-kind $2,300 jacket,
      Jeff Sebilia, says his imagery not only doesn't endorse
      Nazism, but is meant to 'make people aware of just how
      powerful imagery can be. We all know the swastika was a
      peaceful Hindu image, and we know what the Nazis did to
      that. I think we can use imagery that has stark emotion
      and make it our own." (See Newsday of Long Island, N.Y.
      for March 1, 2005, "Symbol draws attention." Many thanks
      to Jelena Chimbacalle for this newspaper article.)

      ZUNDEL DEPORTED TO
      GERMANY AND JAILED

      Ernst Zundel, 65, "the outcast ufologist" who was
      held incommunicado in Toronto's Metro West Detention
      Center for two years, was deported from Canada on Tuesday,
      March 1, 2005.
      The special charter jet left Pearson International
      Airport during a snowstorm. Zundel arrived in Frankfurt
      at 10 p.m. German time, where he was reportedly arrested
      and taken to Mannheim prison.
      The following day, Wednesday, March 3, 2005, "a crowd
      of 50 demonstrators from the Rhine-Neckar National
      Resistance Action Centre rallied in the pedestrian
      shopping zone" in downtown Mannheim. The pro-Zundel
      demonstrators "distributed leaflets demanding freedom for
      Ernst Zundel and all other political prisoners, and the
      abolition of all (German) laws that ban 'Holocaust denial'
      and restrict free speech."
      Zundel's odyssey began six days earlier, on Thursday,
      February 24, 2005, when "the outcast ufologist" lost his
      bid to overturn the special security measure that had
      resulted in his imprisonment without trial. He was
      arrested by Canadian authorities on February 5, 2003 when
      the USA's Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS)
      deported him across the border at Niagara Falls, N.Y.
      "Jewish activists Friday hailed a court ruling that
      allows Canada to deport German Holocaust denier Ernst
      Zundel to face prosecution at home."
      (Editor's Comment: Shame on the media for that misleading
      sentence. Germany has not been Zundel's "home" since he
      emigrated to Montreal way back in 1958. He lived in Canada
      from 1958 to 2001. Since 2001, Zundel's home has been
      Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. His wife Ingrid lives there.
      His car and all of his worldly goods are there. Until he
      was picked up by the INS, Zundel was a resident alien
      legally living in the USA.)
      "Zundel has been held in a Toronto jail for two years
      while authorities determined whether he posed a security
      risk to Canadian society."
      "Federal Court Justice Pierre Blais ruled Thursday
      that Zundel's activities were not only a threat to
      (Canadian) national security, 'but also a threat to the
      international community of nations.'"
      "Zundel, a leading proponent of white supremacy,
      claims the Holocaust never happened."
      "'The impact of Zundel's removal from Canada is
      significant,' said Len Rudner, national director of
      community relations for the Canadian Jewish Congress.
      'It's an indictment of hatred, an indictment of
      violence.'"
      "Zundel faces prosecution in Germany for neo-Nazi and
      Holocaust-denying activities. His lawyer said Zundel
      would not appeal the ruling."
      In the 1970s, Zundel started his own company,
      Samisdat Publishing Ltd., which printed books on World War
      II, UFOs, holistic health and other topics. He published
      UFO books by Willibald Mattern and wrote two of his own,
      Secret Nazi Polar Expeditions (1978) and Hitler at the
      South Pole (1979), about the possible existence of an
      Antarctic Reich.
      In 1975, he attempted unsuccessfully to organize a
      private expedition to Antarctica to find the hidden Nazi
      bases he believed to be there.
      Zundel got into trouble in the late 1970s when
      Samisdat published a pamphlet entitled Did Six Million
      Really Die? He was then charged with violating Canada's
      "hate crimes" law and became the defendant in two
      sensational trials.
      Since 1995, the Zundelsite, his personal Web site,
      has published numerous articles challenging the claims of
      Holocaust survivors.
      During his recent imprisonment in Canada, Zundel
      wrote another book entitled Setting the Record Straight.
      Zundel now has the unenviable distinction of being
      the only member of the UFO community ever to be deported
      from two countries--the USA and Canada. (See the
      newspapers The State of South Carolina and the Salt Lake
      Herald of Utah for February 27, 2005, "Canada set to
      deport Holocaust denier." Also the German newspaper
      Mannheimer Morgen for March 4, 2005. Many thanks to Todd
      Christiansen for these newspaper articles.)

      IMAGE OF JESUS APPEARS
      ON A TREE IN ENGLAND

      "Jesus has been found in a tree near Little
      Houghton," Northants., UK. "But believers needn't get too
      excited...the holy image is simply an odd-shaped growth on
      the trunk of a centuries-old tree in a small spinney on
      the edge of a village."
      "Rita Clayson, who plays the organ at Brayfield
      Baptist Church, spotted the biblical bark during a walk
      from her house in Brayfield-On-The-Green at Easter."
      "The 64-year-old said, 'You hear about people seeing
      images in objects now and again, and, when I saw Jesus in
      the tree, I couldn't believe my eyes. I went back the
      next day--which was Good Friday, of all days--with my
      camera and took a picture just to make sure I hadn't made
      a mistake.'"
      "'I printed off 10 copies for the people at the
      church to spread the word, and they were amazed at the
      likeness. The twisted ivy branch around his head looks
      like a crown of thorns.'"
      "'I haven't been back to see the tree for a while,
      but no doubt other people will go and have a look. I hope
      it doesn't turn into a shrine, though.'"
      "Mrs. Clayson, who has been attending the church ever
      since she moved from Moulton in 1962, only stumbled across
      the tree when her regular route to church was sealed off.
      She said, 'I usually don't go down to the spinney, but we
      couldn't go in the fields, so I walked along the footpath
      and saw the image of Jesus in the bark of the tree. It
      all happened on Easter weekend (2004), so I have really
      treasured the memory.'"
      Curiously, the area is famous for a UFO sighting over
      30 years ago. In nearby Hanging Houghton, Northants., in
      April 1973, "David Gwinn and his wife went to their
      bedroom after watching a late-night TV film" and "watched
      two strange luminous objects in the sky for more than half
      an hour, during which time they hovered not 500 yards (450
      meters) from the house. They were bright orange and
      appeared to revolve while moving slowly along." (See the
      Northamptonshire News for February 25, 2005, "Can you see
      the face of Jesus in this tree?" and for April 18, 1974.
      Many thanks to Robert Fischer and to Fortean Times editors
      Bob Rickard and Paul Sieveking for these newspaper
      articles.)

      SIMONE SIMON DEAD AT 93

      French film actress Simone Simon, most famous for her
      starring roles in two classic fantasy films of the 1940s,
      died in Paris on Tuesday, February 22, 2005. She was 93.
      Born in 1912, Simone was 26 when she came to
      Hollywood for the first time in 1938. She signed a
      contract with RKO Radio Pictures and, in 1942, starred in
      the film Cat People, directed by Val Lewton. Cat People
      was loosely based on Lewton's short story, "The Bagheeta,"
      which he had written for "the unique magazine," Weird
      Tales.
      Cat People was RKO's highest-earning film for 1942.
      So the studio re-teamed Simone with her co-stars, Kent
      Smith and Jane Randolph, and made The Curse of the Cat
      People, which was released in 1944.
      Ten years later, in October 1954, Simone had a real-
      life brush with the paranormal. While disembarking from
      an airliner, Simone watched a daylight disc UFO fly over
      the runway at Orly Airport in Paris.
      "I first saw Cat People at the Park Theatre in
      Taunton, Mass. when I was seven years old. Until then, I
      had no idea how scary a bus's brakes could sound," UFO
      Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said, "It was truly the
      first 'phantom panther' movie. I've always wondered what
      it would've been like if this case had actually happened.
      Can you imagine the front page of the New York Daily News?
      Gigantic headline--PANTHER KILLS PARK AVE. SHRINK, with a
      nice picture of the mutilated Dr. Judd lying dead on the
      mezzanine and the shredded tapestries. A story like that
      would've pushed the Battle of Midway all the way back into
      the classifieds." (See Entertainment Weekly for March 11,
      2005, page 22.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1955: THE HORSEHEADS
      MYSTERIES

      Horseheads, N.Y. (population 6,452) is a small town
      on Route 14 north of Elmira. First known as Fairport, "in
      1845, the place was named Horseheads, commemorating an
      incident in the (War of the American) Revolution that
      occurred here; Gen. (John) Sullivan's men slew their worn-
      out and starving horses for food and left the heads for
      carrion" during the campaign of 1779.
      Intrigued by this legend, Howard Phillips Lovecraft
      (1890-1937) visited Horseheads during his tour of the
      Catskill mountains in the early 1920s.
      But the real weirdness didn't begin until 13 years
      after HPL's death.
      On April 8, 1950, a UFO was sighted by many in
      Horseheads. "In a pasture just outside Horseheads, N.Y.,
      'a slim circular object only three feet (0.9 meters)
      across at the base--of a light cardboard substance--
      covered with luminous paint--constructed with considerable
      care--no indication that this gadget will fly--I did not
      open it to see what was inside,' said the Chief of Police,
      'Some sort of radio tube jutted out of the top structure
      and was connected to the inside by a wire.'"
      "Object found by Ernest Ferris, a farmer."
      "Near by was found 'a molten substance on fire-
      scorched earth' and what appeared to be a burned-out flare
      on which could read '5 mins' and 'cau'"
      "It was turned over to the FBI agent, who took it to
      Elmira."
      A faked UFO? Or a genuine alien artifact of some
      kind? Then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover wasn't saying.
      Five years later, on Sunday, February 20, 1955,
      Horseheads was again the site of a Fortean event--this
      time it was a massive fall of angel hair that covered
      half-a-square-mile of the town with gossamer strands 2
      inches (5 centimeters) deep.
      On Tuesday, February 22, 1955, "a chemistry
      professor today identified as radioactive a curtain of
      wispy gray fuzz that spread over part of this village two
      days ago."
      "Dr. Charles B. Rutenber, chemistry professor at
      Elmira College, said the fuzz was badly damaged, slightly
      radioactive cotton fibre."
      "Where the fibre came from before it settled on
      trees, shrubbery and houses Sunday night was a mystery."
      "Rutenber said he had conducted tests which showed
      the fibre was apparently waste material or a substance
      which had been heavily damaged in some sort of explosion."
      "Inquiries at area industrial installations failed to
      produce a clue into the nature of the 'fallout' which
      covered a residential area half-a-mile square."
      "Horseheads is a village of 3,500 population, six
      miles (10 kilometers) north of Elmira in south-central New
      York state."
      "Rutenber said a Geiger counter has established the
      radioactivity of the cobwebby fibre, but he said the
      radioactivity was not present to a dangerous degree. And,
      he declared, the radioactive content of the fibre was not
      unusual in view of the atomic (bomb) tests now underway in
      Nevada."
      (Editor's Note: During February and March, 1955, the old
      Atomic Energy Commission was setting off nuclear bombs at
      Frenchman's Flat, Nevada at the rate of one every two
      weeks.)
      Nor was Horseheads, N.Y. the only town in the USA
      experiencing strange sky falls fifty years ago.
      "They had chocolate snow at the ski resort" in Alta,
      Utah (population 370) "yesterday" (Sunday, March 27, 1955)
      "Mocha snow, anyway."
      "Snowflakes were described as definitely tan or light
      brown at the Wasatch Mountain ski spot east of Salt Lake
      City during a storm that dumped 15 inches (38 centimeters)
      of snow during the day. They changed to a less unnerving
      white toward afternoon."
      "The color was blamed on alkali dust in the air."
      Doubt: The Fortean Society Magazine reported, "Salty
      'white goo' rained on Salt Lake City, Utah. Said to have
      been picked up from (the Bonneville) salt flats by the
      wind. Although the flats have been there ever so long,
      and wind is pretty common, the phenomenon 'caused
      consternation'" when it occurred on Friday, March 25,
      1955. (See the Duluth, Minnesota News-Tribune for
      February 23, 1955, "Town puzzled by radioactive fuzz
      'fallout.,' page 5; the Superior, Wis. Telegram for March
      28, 1955, "Snow chocolate color in Utah," page 2; Doubt:
      The Fortean Society Magazine volume 2, number 42 for 1953,
      page 239; and volume 2, number 49 for 1954, page 359.
      Also, New York: A Guide to the Empire State, Oxford
      University Press, 8th Printing, 1962, page 655.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.