Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 9

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor. ========================== UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 9 March 2, 2005 Editor: Joseph Trainor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 10, Number 9
      March 2, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      Sunday, February 20, 2005, turned out to be "Invasion
      Day" for the United Kingdom as daylight discs appeared in
      four separate locations within minutes of each other.
      Mike Taylor was driving along the (motorway) A39 in
      Somerset, near Bridgwater, when he had his encounter.
      Mike reported, "I was taking my son, in the car, to his
      rugby club on Sunday, 20th February. It was about 9:55
      a.m. We were travelling along the A39 toward Bridgwater.
      It was a clear blue sky, the weather was cold but bright,
      and the sun was behind us."
      "I noticed an object in the sky. I initially thought
      it was a low-flying (RAF) fighter jet plane. (They
      sometimes fly over our area--M.T.) travelling behind the
      trees at about 1,000 feet (300 meters). I pointed this
      out to my son and said, 'Oh, look at that!'"
      "As it cleared the trees, we got our first clear look
      at it. But it was nothing like any plane I had seen
      before. It was a silvery object with a hint of a light
      shade of green/blue. It was travelling very, very fast in
      a straight line and had a short white vapour trail."
      "As we watched it (travelling in a north to northwest
      direction--M.T.), it just seemed to melt away (disappear)
      leaving behind the vapour trail which gradually dissolved.
      My son, who is 8, said, 'Wow! It just turned into
      "I was completely flabbergasted and slightly scared
      by what I saw. It was very real and quite big, but I must
      have seen it for only 4 or 5 seconds. We had a CD on in
      the car (not too loud--M.T.) but I heard no noise. If it
      was a jet, I'm sure I would have heard something."
      "This is not a hoax, though I am sure I would not
      believe it if someone told me this account--I personally
      do not believe in little green men, but I cannot think of
      what it might have been. I crave a second and longer look
      at it, if you know what I mean."
      At 9:54 a.m., Lyn R. was at Boothtown, Halifax, West
      Yorkshire, when she spied "a strange object approaching
      from the south, from the direction of Halifax. My partner
      was sitting beside our front window when he shouted, 'Look
      at that!' By the time I had arrived, though, the object
      was gone."
      "So it was only visible for one-and-a-half seconds.
      He said it was a strange greeny-white colour with a trail
      behind as a plane would have. But it moved far too
      quickly. I have just tracked a plane covering the same
      distance, and it took 15 seconds (Meaning the UFO was
      traveling at an estimated 6,500 miles per hour--J.T.)
      Does a fighter jet run 10 times faster than a plane? Were
      there any RAF planes flying at this time?"
      "My partner and I have also seen a few strange
      objects over the last ten years in Todmorden and
      Boothtown/Queensbury, so now we've decided to report each
      sighting immediately. We'd be interested to see if anyone
      else in the area observed this."
      At 9:58 a.m. on "Invasion Sunday," eyewitness P.E.
      was at Elworth, Sandbach, Cheshire when "the UFO
      approached from the south. It appeared as a small flash
      to the left as it came into my sight. Tail of light green
      although the head was white. It was seen for a couple of
      seconds, travelling faster than a plane. It was on a
      horizontal flight path against a blue sky. No vapour
      trail. Not like anything I have ever seen before. Sort
      of a bullet appearance. A few thousand feet up, heading
      over house tops. I was not looking straight up."
      At 9:57 a.m. the same morning, eyewitness A.M. was
      "travelling along the (motorway) A470 between Llanidloes
      and Llangurig in central Wales. It was travelling west
      across the sky. It simply disappeared or burnt itself
      out. Two of us saw it while travelling south along the
      A470. A very bright yellow and violet, not very large but
      a longish shape. Travelling at rocket speed across the
      sky. It lasted maybe a couple of seconds. No idea of the
      height but quite high." (Many thanks to Canadian
      ufologist Brian Vike for these reports.)


      "Investigators are perplexed by the sighting of a
      hovering, saucer-like object by three men in Australia's
      island state of Tasmania."
      "The report falls into the five percent of UFO
      sightings that cannot be explained, an official in
      Tasmania said yesterday (Saturday, February 19, 2005)."
      "'We checked up with the airport, helicopter
      companies, the navy and the Department of Defence and hit
      a block on all of them,' said Keith Roberts, coordinator
      of UFO Reports and Sightings-Tasmania."
      "The report Monday night (February 14, 2005) was made
      by a 43-year-old man from Kingston, Australia who was
      driving in Tasmania's Midland Highway with his sister and
      a friend. The woman, who said she was inclined not to
      believe in aliens, reported they first spotted a bright
      light but moments later the light appeared to be heading
      towards them."
      "She said the object was about half the size of a
      house and had one red pulsating light on one side and a
      similar blue light on the other. The woman got out of the
      car after pulling over and, within minutes, the object was
      only about 300 yards (270 meters) from them and hovering
      100 feet (30 meters) above the ground."
      "The witness told the paper (Hobart Mercury) that as
      the craft came towards them, it appeared to be shaped like
      an oblong Australian football. But as it grew nearer, she
      surmised that it was a saucer shape."
      "Roberts said there was a similar sighting in the
      area in the 1970s when a driver saw a bright mass of light
      before his car went dead. At the moment, he said, the
      latest mystery in unexplained, and he hopes others will
      come forward with information." (See the Hobart, Tasmania
      Mercury for February 19, 2005, "Mystery of UFO deepens."
      Many thanks to Nathan Lockhart for this newspaper


      On Friday, February 18, 2005, at 4 p.m., Mario L. was
      driving through his hometown of Kirkland, Washington
      (population 45,054) when he spotted something unusual in
      the sky.
      "It was a sunny day and no clouds," Mario reported,
      "The object was on the east side as we were traveling
      south. The object was just floating on the air for like
      about two or three minutes and then took off at a fast
      speed. We were facing south when we suddenly hit a curve,
      and that's when I decided to turn my head. And there it
      was in the sky."
      "I was inside my friend's car, and we were going home
      from work. That's when I saw this shiny object in the
      sky. The object was shaped like a pencil. The color was
      silver and I think it had a reflection of the sun on it.
      The object was about the same height (altitude) as an
      airliner flies."
      Kirkland, Wash. is on the eastern shore of Lake
      Washington, on Interstate Highway I-405 about 12 miles (20
      kilometers) northeast of Seattle. (Email Form Report)


      On Saturday, February 5, 2005, at 1 a.m., Paul T. was
      outdoors in Desert Hot Springs, California (population
      16,582) when he saw "the UFO approach from the west. Too
      dark out to see any shape. It was 8,000 feet (2,400
      meters) or higher, moving slower than an airplane but it
      sounded a lot like one. Had a long row of very bright
      lights along the side, with three large and also very
      bright lights to the rear and on the same level as the row
      lights. The three bright lights to the rear were spaced,
      and the other two were as far apart as the 'side' row was
      long. Also, the three lights were aimed back in the
      direction it came."
      "The (Little San Bernardino) mountains in the area
      are between 9,000 and 12,000 feet (2,700 to 3,600 meters).
      I am sure it was a lot lower than that. Don't know what
      it was as I've never seen an aircraft with three 'landing
      lights' let alone pointed back! The object's height was
      about 7,000 to 8,000 feet (2,100 to 2,400 meters) and it
      was going maybe 80 miles per hour (128 kilometers per
      Desert Hot Springs, Cal. is just east of Highway 62,
      located about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of Palm
      Springs. (Email Form Report)


      On Tuesday, January 18, 2005, Gary Kubalski was at
      his home near Rocky River Drive in Cleveland, Ohio
      (population 478,403) when he spotted something strange.
      "I woke up at approximately 10 a.m. on the morning of
      January 18," Gary reported, "It's unusual for me to wake
      up this late. I looked out my second-floor bedroom window
      to an awfully bright January day of clear blue skies."
      "I immediately noticed two grey luminescent disks the
      size of nail heads traveling in formation at a high
      altitude, separated a football field apart, moving in an
      east to west direction. I knew I was witnessing something
      unique, because traveling in the same direction were
      several planes in the morning sky, one east, another
      southeast, and the area where I live is close to the air
      traffic routes to and from Cleveland Hopkins International
      Airport. As the disks had no visible wing shape and
      traveled in a swift, steady and straight motion as if on
      an imaginary string in mid-air, perfectly stable while
      going from east to west."
      "They eventually disappeared gradually into the
      horizon, blending into the clouded sky to the west."
      "I continued watching and, after a minute or two, a
      single silver disk appeared, traveling the same flight
      path by itself. I was still wondering about what I was
      seeing and questioning its validity when this craft made a
      striking stop in mid-air, hovering still for about five
      seconds, then made what I could only describe as an 'Etch-
      A-Sketch' (zigzag) course change by making a 90 degree
      change to the south for a few hundred feet, followed by a
      lightning-fast 90 degree course change with no gradual
      deviation, no radius, no curving or banking of its bodily
      The third disc "then traveled even for some time,
      then reversed course back to its original heading, again
      disappearing into the haze of horizon. The whole event
      with the three disks took about 10 minutes." (Email Form


      On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 8:30 p.m., the male
      witness was outdoors at his home in Aurora, Illinois
      (population 142,990) when he spotted something unusual in
      the sky, approaching from the southwest.
      "I was in my backyard, having a cigarette when I
      noticed something in the sky," he reported, "It was a very
      overcast night, and the city lights illuminated the clouds
      pretty well that night. I was facing east and the object
      came out of the southwest and was out in front of me at
      about a 90 degree angle. The object was just above the
      ceiling of clouds, and I could make out the shape of a
      triangle through the clouds. There was no noise and no
      lights that I could see, but I could see the shape very
      distinctly because of the lights from the city."
      "The object continued on a northeasterly path, moving
      at a high rate of speed. How fast, I'm not sure, but the
      whole event took about three seconds, so it was moving
      good. It flew in a straight line, no deviation, again,
      that I could see. The trees around my house have no
      leaves on them, so I could see the whole sky pretty well.
      I tracked it until it was out of sight."
      "I'd have to say the object was bigger than a
      commercial airliner and was flying at about 300 to 500
      feet (90 to 150 meters) off the ground. Very low as the
      cloud cover was very low that night, also."
      "The distance it covered from when I first saw it
      till I couldn't was about one mile (1.6 kilometers). As
      for the speed, all I can say is that it was fast. If I
      had to guess, I'd have to say 300 to 400 miles per hour
      (480 to 640 kilometers per hour)."
      Aurora, Illinois is just south of Interstate Highway
      I-88, located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of
      Chicago. (Many thanks to Brian Vike for this report.)


      On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 6:05 a.m., Angela
      Ross walked into the kitchen of her home in Killeen, Texas
      (population 86,911). She reported, "I had been up a few
      short minutes making my tea. I started to fill up the
      pitcher with water and looked out" the window "at the sky,
      as it was still dark at this time. I saw what I thought
      was a full moon at the top of some trees, but then saw the
      bright object move away from the trees."
      "It zigzagged and then disappeared into thin air
      right before my eyes. I was facing west. The object was
      white and round and very bright. It was moving probably
      30 to 40 miles per hour (48 to 64 kilometers per hour)."
      Killeen, Texas is on Highway 190 about 30 miles (48
      kilometers) southwest of Waco. The town is just south of
      the U.S. Army's Fort Hood. (Email Form Report)


      "On (Thursday) February 17, 2005, I witnessed the
      transit of an unidentified flying object over the eastern
      regions of Mexico City," ufologist Ana Luisa Cid Fernandez
      reported, "I was writing an article on my computer when
      something made me turn to the left and look out the
      window. It was an elongated structure of considerable
      size, visible to the unaided eye, which traveled
      horizontally at great speed."
      "When I reached for my camcorder to shoot some video,
      the brilliant structure made a sudden reverse motion and
      hid behind the rooftops. I remained patient and waited
      for it to emerge, obtaining some good images."
      "I would have wanted to follow its trajectory, but my
      young daughter was asleep, so I contacted my colleagues so
      they could continue tracking the strange flying object."
      The UFO left Mexico City, crossing Route 136 just
      north of Aztahuacan and Los Reyes. It was last seen
      heading for Ixtapaluca and the ancient Toltec ruins at
      Tlapacoya. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Ana Luisa
      Cid Fernandez para estas noticias.)


      On Sunday, February 20, 2005, "around 3 p.m., Walter
      Jara and his cousin, Luis Aguilar, saw a UFO fly over a
      mountain, Cerro Hornopiren," near Puerto Montt, a city on
      the Golfo de Ancud in Chile's far south.
      "According to Jara's account, the UFO flew over the
      summit before his startled eyes and, a few seconds later,
      he gathered his wits and managed to take a digital
      photograph of the object."
      "Jara said that at the moment of the photograph he
      was not aware that it was a flying object. He was
      surprised a few minutes later. At first he thought it
      could have been a spot on the camera lens."
      "But after keeping the UFO in sight for 60 seconds,
      his perspective and that of his camera had changed."
      "According to his story, the flying saucer was not
      visible in plain sight. However, when he zoomed the
      camera lens, he was able to see the object clearly."
      "'It was a moment of wonder and amazement,' said
      Jara, 'The day was clear and cloudless. The object
      oscillated violently in the sky. I saw that it was not a
      bird because they move differently.'"
      "He added that the UFO was grey in color and oval-
      "Jara's friend, Fernando Garces, said that his family
      lives in Hornopiren and has never seen any object with the
      characteristics witnessed by Walter Jara. The Meteorology
      Office at Puerto Montt's Tepual Airport dismissed the
      possibility that weather balloons could be involved, since
      these are launched at 8 a.m. and fly over the area for a
      maximum time of two hours."
      "According to weather official Gaston Munoz, by 11
      o'clock (a.m.) the (weather) ballons have burst." (See
      the Chilean newspaper El Llanhique for February 21, 2005,
      "Eyewitness saw UFO flying over Cerro Hornopiren for 60
      seconds." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez
      Orellana por este articulo de diario.)


      "An unidentified flying object of prodigious size,
      silver in color and with the characteristic shape of the
      so-called 'flying saucers,' was photographed with a high-
      definition camera by a Buenos Aires mountaineer during an
      ascent of Nevado de Cachi" mountain in northwestern
      Argentina, "one of the greatest challenges for South
      American climbers."
      "The photograph, of extraordinary clarity, was taken
      while the sportsman was at Las Pailas, an inhabited
      location halfway up the summit at an elevation of 3,500
      meters (11,550 feet) above sea level, which includes the
      ruins of an ancient (pre-Columbian) Chalchaqui
      "The protagonist of the event was Guillermo Martin,
      an instructor with the Buenos Aires-based Entrenamientos
      de Montana (Spanish for Mountain Trainee --J.T.) club."
      "The photo was taken in November 2004 but was made
      known only last week. 'I didn't realize I had taken the
      shot until I saw it as a print,' Martin said, 'We
      researched it with speculations, and there was no error or
      damage to the systems. Nor does it appear that the object
      was the result of an undesired chemical reaction of some
      "What the camera did record, for no reason, perhaps
      due to the 'thing's' speed, could not be seen by human
      eyes, according to the sportsman, who forwarded the
      startling images to Antonio Zuleta, a Cachi UFO
      researcher, also an enthusiastic mountaineer and host of a
      radio show on FM Radio San Jose. He also managed to send
      the object on a videotape."
      "Cachi, located 150 kilometers (90 miles) from the
      provincial capital" of Salta "and some 2,200 meters (7,260
      feet in elevation) high, has become a worldwide center of
      interest for lovers of this mysterious and intriguing
      "Martin has returned to this locale once more since
      last week and is attempting a new ascent of El Nevado de
      Cachi," which stands "6,380 meters (21,004 feet) above sea
      level, this time with a team of eight mountaineers."
      "'The day I took the photos--around noon--the skies
      were clear, cloudless, the sun was shining, there was no
      sound and the temperature was quite pleasant,' Martin told
      Zuleta, who in turn forwarded a transcript of the
      sportsman's statements to El Tribuno."
      Salta, capital of the province of the same name, is
      located 800 kilometers (500 miles) northwest of Buenos
      Aires, the capital of Argentina. (See the Argentinian
      newspaper El Tribuno for February 24, 2005, "Mountain
      climber photographs a large UFO." Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Mercedes Casas por este articulo de diario.)


      A huge oval UFO with blue lights was seen hovering
      over towns in southern Saskatchewan province, Canada,
      which are famous for their previous outbreaks of crop
      According to Canadian ufologist Barb Campbell, "A
      gentleman in North Battleford, Sask. at 10 p.m. on Monday,
      February 21, 2005, reported 'a very large, bright,
      greenish-blue round object travelling northwest to
      southeast' over the city of North Battleford. He
      described the object as 'travelling slower than a falling
      star and unlike any plane' he has ever seen. It appeared
      as though it had travelled toward the hospital. The
      gentleman almost jumped into his car to drive down to the
      river to see if it had landed. The object then
      disappeared over the horizon."
      "At 10:15 p.m., a woman in Midale, Sask. happened to
      notice something outside her window. She yelled to her
      husband, 'Look out the window!' The husband then saw a
      large silver object emitting a green glow travel right
      past the window."
      "The husband described it as 'big, oval in shape,
      travelling at high speed just above the trees across the
      alley.' The wife said the object seemed to be rotating as
      it moved. The bedroom window faces northeast, and the
      object was travelling in a southerly direction."
      "The whole event took place within a matter of two or
      three seconds. A silverish-white trail was seen behind
      the object. There are houses on the other side of the
      alley. It was determined that the object was no more than
      a mile (1.6 kilometers) away from these houses."
      "When questioned, the husband held an orange up to
      his line of sight at the window, adding that this is how
      big the UFO was."
      "At the time of the incident, no electrical
      interference had been noticed. However, the next morning
      (Tuesday, February 22, 2005), when the husband was getting
      ready for work, he was unable to listen to the Environment
      Canada broadcast on VHF frequency 162.400 Megaherz."
      "Indeed, the SaskTel tower was off the air Tuesday
      and Wednesday (February 22 and 23, 2005) following. There
      is a major power grid close to Midale, approximately 2
      miles (3.2 kilometers) away, coming from a coal-generating
      power plant at Estevan," 25 miles (40 kilometers)
      southeast of Midale.
      The oval UFO is believed to have crossed the border
      into the USA just east of Ambrose, North Dakota
      (population 17), a village on Highway 43 located about 70
      miles (116 kilometers) north-northwest of Minot, N.D.
      (Many thanks to Barb Campbell for these news stories.)
      (Editor's Note: Extraterrestrials have a strange affinity
      for the name Ambrose. In the Twentieth Century, people
      who were taken away and never brought back included
      Ambrose J. Beirce (1913), Ambrose Small (1922), Ambrose
      Dexter (1937) and Ambrose Allen Jr. (1964).)

      [A map showing the path of the object is available at:
      http://www.ufoinfo.com/sightings/canada/050221.shtml and
      http://www.nwsurc.com/ssr-04-37.htm . Anyone having seen
      anything unusual Monday February 21, 2005 is asked to
      contact NWSURC at 306-893-4009 or iva e-mail at:
      contactus@... - John @ UFOINFO].


      "That wasn't just any big cat prowling near the
      Ronald Reagan Presidential Library" in Moorpark,
      California (population 31,415)--it was a tiger."
      "The big cat was shot and killed Wednesday," February
      23, 2005, "just a few hundred yards from school soccer and
      baseball fields near a housing development, said Lorna
      Bernard, a spokesman for the California Department of Fish
      and Game."
      "State wildlife trackers had been searching for the
      animal for more than a week using infrared equipment and
      setting traps with goat meat and chickens."
      "Bernard said it was 'unfortunate' the tiger had been
      "On the other hand, she said it's more unfortunate
      the tiger's owner didn't come forward right away, when it
      would have been easier to catch it."
      "The hunt began after discovery of huge paw prints on
      a ranch near the Reagan library. The size of the tracks
      indicated the animal weighed as much as 600 pounds. The
      animal's body was removed in a net carried by helicopter."
      Florida had a "strange tiger" incident, as well.
      In Wellington, Florida (population 38,216), "a 500-
      pound Bengal tiger roamed free for more than two hours
      inside a sanctuary after managing to escape from his cage
      that wasn't fully latched after a feeding. Tristan, a 4-
      year-old tiger, was tranquilized by wildlife officials.
      The tiger never made it outside of the sanctuary."
      (See the Los Angeles Times for February 24, 2005, "Tiger
      killed near Reagan library," and USA Today for February
      28, 2005, "Around the USA--Florida," page 13A. Many
      thanks to Tiffany Burton for these newspaper articles.)
      (Editor's Note: For more on out-of-place lions and tigers
      in the USA, see UFO Roundup, volume 7, number 40 for
      October 1, 2002, "Mysterious lions killed in Quitman,
      Arkansas," page 4; and UFO Roundup, volume 4, number 5 for
      February 1, 1999, "Mysterious tigers on the prowl in New
      Jersey," page 6.)


      "The sky, apparently, is falling. Its point of
      impact: the backyard of William and Anna Mae Beals at 6060
      Thomas Road," Decatur, Illinois (population 81,860).
      "A slab of ice the size of a concrete block hurtled
      from the heavens Wednesday morning," February 23, 2005,
      "toward their house in southeast Decatur. Fortunately, no
      one was hurt."
      "But their neighbors were shaken when they saw the
      chilly visitor land."
      "Dolores Scribner was sipping coffee and watching
      birds out her backyard window with her sister and cousin
      when a white flash descended toward the earth."
      "'We were shocked,' said her sister, Jo Ann Wheeler."
      "'I've never seen anything like that before in my
      life,' said her cousin, Joyce Wetzel."
      "So where did the icy chunk come from?"
      "'I don't have a clue,' said a puzzled Anna Mae
      "Could it have fallen from an airplane's wing?
      That's unlikely, aviation experts say. Ice can cause
      serious problems if not removed from a plane's wings."
      "'We take great pains to make sure airplanes are de-
      iced,' said Elizabeth Isham Cory, spokesman for the
      Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)."
      "'Something this big on an aircraft doesn't sound
      right,' said Gene Marcinkowski, Decatur Airport director."
      "Could the ice cake be the frozen flush of a portable
      toilet aboard a high-flying plane? Nope. Waste is
      removed when the plane touches down. Plus, the neighbors
      concluded, the ice cake was white and clean--not the
      typical color of a potty flush."
      "Could it be a freak weather phenomenon? The chunk
      of ice initially stumped Jim Angel, state climatologist
      with the Illinois State Water Survey."
      "'That's a real mystery,' Angel said."
      "Angel then recalled reports of large ice chunks
      falling from the skies in places as far away as Spain."
      Ice "usually fell in January, February and March and can
      weigh as much as 30 pounds. Experts call them
      megacryometeors. It's not clear why they fall."
      (Editor's Note: The all-time champ is the ice block that
      fell at Seringapatam, 30 kilometers (18 miles) north of
      Mysore, India, in 1800. It was as big as an elephant and
      took three days to melt. See The Complete Books of
      Charles Fort, Dover Publications Inc., New York, N.Y.,
      1974, page 19.)
      "'One of these things is very weird,' Angel said,
      'It's not like it doesn't happen to other people. It
      happens rarely, but it does happen.'"
      Fortean researcher Loren Coleman, who was born in
      Decatur, had this to say: "A block of ice falls from the
      sky in Decatur, involving a Beals, a Wetzel and even an
      Angel. Any time a Wetzel is involved, this is a sign of
      high strangeness. Very weird, indeed." (See the Decatur,
      Ill. Herald and Review for February 24, 2005, "Ice chunk
      that fell from the sky hitting homeowner's yard defies
      explanation." Many thanks to Loren Coleman for this
      newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Note: Decatur...I thought that name sounded
      familiar. Decatur is the Fortean capital of Illinois.
      Crazy crocs and out-of-place animals are the usual weird
      phenomena there. In July 1917, a 300-man posse spent
      several days searching the woods on the Sangamon River for
      "an African lion." Four people driving west on Highway 36
      were terrified when the critter jumped into the back seat
      of their Pierce Arrow touring car. Then, on June 25,
      1965, a "phantom panther," described as a "big, black,
      catlike animal" frightened a woman driving into her yard.
      Three days later, this beast "ate a sack lunch of three
      children on an outing in Lincoln Park."
      Crazy crocs were sighted in Decatur on three separate
      occasions--on August 30, 1937, then on October 24, 1966;
      and finally, on June 26, 1967, a 10-inch (25-centimeter)
      alligator was caught at 895 West Eldorado Street in
      Decatur. See Weird America by Jim Brandon, E.P. Dutton
      Co., New York, N.Y., 1978, page 78.)


      "Avalanches and slides triggered by heavy weekend
      snowfall in India's portion of Kashmir," a plateau country
      in the Himalayas, "have killed at least 154 people and
      left 200 missing, an official said Monday," February 21,
      Up to 35 centimeters (14 inches) of snow fell on
      Kashmir beginning Saturday morning, February 19, 2005,
      "closing the Jammu-Srinagar highway, the main route
      through the Panjal mountain range" and effectively cutting
      off the province from the rest of India.
      "Much of the region remained cut off for three
      straight days," including the towns of Shupinan, Tangmarg,
      Sopur and Bandipura, "blanketed under the heaviest
      snowfall in 15 years."
      "At least 117 people were killed in avalanches that
      began Sunday night," February 20, 2005, "in a series of
      Kashmiri villages south of Srinigar, Kashmir's main city,
      said police officer Imtiyaz Ahmed, who said the toll of
      dead and missing remained incomplete."
      "Elsewhere in the region, three separate landslides
      killed eight people, police said."
      Another heavy snowfall took place on Monday, February
      19, 2005, again closing the Jammu-Srinigar highway. A
      second round of "avalanches and extreme cold killed 107
      people in the divided Himalayan province, Indian and
      Pakistani officials said." (See the Deccan Chronicle for
      February 21 and February 23, 2005. Many thanks to
      Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda for the Indian newspaper


      "A powerful earthquake shook southeastern Iran on
      Tuesday," February 22, 2005, "destroying villages and
      killing over 400 people," Iran's state-run TV station
      The quake measured 6.4 on the Richter scale and
      "injured over 900 people. Torrential rains and winter
      cold following the tremor hampered rescue efforts."
      "The quake's epicenter was on the outskirts of
      Zarand, Iran's geological authority said. The town of
      15,000 is about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) southeast of
      Tehran," the national capital."
      "Under a driving rain, survivors wailed over the
      bodies of the dead and dug through the ruins of mud-brick
      houses searching for their loved ones after a powerful
      earthquake flattened villages. At least 420 people were
      "About 30,000 people in the region near Kerman, the
      provincial capital were affected, and many were left
      homeless. The tiny villages that cover the mountain were
      hit hard."
      "In Dahoueieh, every building except a golden-domed
      mosque had collapsed."
      "In Sartagh, most of the buildings were leveled."
      "'Where have you gone? I had a lot of plans for
      you,' Hossein Golestani sang softly as he held the
      lifeless form of his daughter, Fatima, age 7. The body of
      another daughter, Mariam, 8, lay beside him in the
      devastated village of Hoktan. Golestani and his wife were
      tending their goats just before 6 a.m. when the quake
      wrecked their home."
      "Others slapped their faces in grief as they sat next
      to the dead at hospital morgues and on roadsides."
      "Two young women were found alive in the ruins of
      flattened villages in central Iran on Wednesday," February
      23, 2005, "as officials raised the death toll to 500
      "In Hotkan, shouts of 'Allahu akbar!' (Arabic for God
      is great!--J.T.) erupted after Zehra Hosseini, 14, was
      found alive. Earlier in the day, Zehra Mirzaei, 18, was
      pulled from the ruins."
      "The Zarand earthquake struck a region 240 kilometers
      (150 miles) northwest of Bam, site of a devastating
      earthquake" that measured 6.9 on the Richter scale and
      "killed 26,000 people and leveled the historic city in
      December 2003."
      "Though comparable in strength to the Bam quake,
      Tuesday's temblor hit a more sparsely populated area and
      was 40 kilometers (25 miles) deep" within the earth. By
      comparison, the Bam quake of 2003 occurred only 10
      kilometers (6 miles) beneath the surface.
      "At dusk, temperatures fell and rain turned to snow
      in parts of the mountains. Survivors huddled around fires
      to keep warm. About 1,500 rescue workers from the Iranian
      Red Crescent fanned out in teams with tents and tarps for
      "Mohammed Javad Fadei, deputy governor of Kerman
      province, said that while Iran will not ask for aid" from
      the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent
      Societies in Geneva, Switzerland, "'we'll take tents,
      blankets, cash and earth-moving machinery,' if offered."
      The Zarand earthquake came on the heels of last
      week's earthquake just south of Sulawesi in Indonesia,
      which measured 6.5 on the Richter scale and caused a small
      tsunami in the Flores Sea. (See the Iranian newspaper Al-
      Mehr for February 23 and 24, 2005; also USA Today for
      February 23, 2005, "Searches continue for survivors of
      Iran quake," page 8A. Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi
      and Kufa Yildaz for the Iranian newspaper articles.)
      (Editor's Comment: If the current round of earthquakes
      won't make you a believer in earth changes, the bizarre
      weather in California certainly will. Read on...)


      An inexplicable change in the jet stream over the USA
      has sent a williwaw, a winter rainstorm more suited to
      British Columbia and the Alaska panhandle, into southern
      But while the temperate rain forests of the Pacific
      Northwest can handle that kind of downpour, the dry hills
      and deserts of southern California are getting drenched
      with floods and buried in mudslides.
      "The storm has spawned hail, thunder and tornadoes
      since it moved in Thursday night," February 17, 2005. "It
      has sent mud and boulders down rain-weakened hillsides,
      flooded highways and railroads and cut power to as many as
      170,000 customers."
      "The storm claimed its third life early Monday,"
      February 21, 2005, "in Woodland Hills, a San Fernando
      Valley neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles. There, a
      wave of mud rushed down a slope, smashed into a house and
      buried a 63-year-old man under four feet (1.3 meters) of
      "In Silverado Canyon, in Orange County," Caitlin Oto,
      16, "died Sunday," February 20, 2005, "when a boulder,
      loosened by rain," rolled down a Santa Ana mountainside
      "and crashed into her family's apartment, where she was
      working at her computer."
      "Also on Sunday, Rory Shaw, 47, a Los Angeles city
      engineer," was "supervising the repair of a giant
      sinkhole" on a street in Sun Valley, just north of Studio
      City and Burbank, when "he fell 30 feet (9 meters) to his
      In Glendale (population 194,973), "mudsides and
      flooding Monday forced 30 people in 11 homes to evacuate."
      In Fullerton (population 126,000), an overflowing
      creek flooded 10 homes on Monday.
      In Hacienda Heights (population 53,122), "a mudslide
      poured into a housing development Monday. Rescuers pulled
      three people from 10 feet (3 meters) of mud that flowed
      into a townhouse. The three were trapped for two hours"
      before rescuers arrived.
      "A 300-mile (480-kilometer) expanse of California was
      battered for days by a storm system that killed" about a
      dozen people "and disrupted life for hundreds of thousands
      of others."
      "The latest in an almost unbroken series of winter
      rainstorms drenched areas from central California to the
      Los Angeles suburbs. Residents are coping with problems
      from power outages and closed freeways to mudslides
      crashing into bedrooms in hillside towns."
      "Downpours have broken a 115-year-old Los Angeles
      record for precipitation during the winter rainy season,
      measured from December through February. Downtown Los
      Angeles has had 27.37 inches (88 centimeters) of rain
      since December 1 (2004), exceeding the 25 inches (83
      centimeters) recorded over the (same) three months in
      "Southern California's extraordinary string of storms
      this winter is the result of an unexpected convergence of
      climate factors from the Arctic and the tropics."
      "Late last year (2004), atmospheric conditions over
      Alaska's Aleutian Islands blocked the jet stream, the
      high-altitude band of wind that carries storms east across
      North America. Instead of taking its usual path across
      the northern states, the jet stream swung much farther
      south to California."
      "The results: record amounts of rain and snow in
      December and storms in January that ordinarily would have
      hit the Pacific Northwest and states to the east."
      "The fierce weather didn't spare areas of affluence:
      In Los Angeles' wealthy Bel-Air neighborhood, a swimming
      pool slid down a hill and doused neighboring houses with
      "In La Conchita, the seaside community of 190 homes
      where 10 people died in a mudslide January 10 (2005), all
      but 39 residents had moved out before the latest storm
      hit. Those who had stayed cast anxious eyes on the
      weakend bluff above the town, but only six people chose to
      "In Hollywood, hundreds of vehicles were trapped for
      several hours in a flood on the Hollywood Freeway before
      emergency crews pumped water off the road at 2 a.m. on
      Tuesday," February 22, 2005.
      "The California Highway Patrol reported 120 traffic
      accidents on L.A. streets during the morning commute
      Tuesday, up from 50 accidents a week earlier."
      "Most of the trouble was in mountain areas linking
      the coast with suburban valleys. Many motorists were
      forced to find roundabout routes."
      "Slides closed Malibu Canyon Road. Nearby Topanga
      Canyon Boulevard, a major artery between the Pacific Coast
      Highway and the San Fernando Valley, remained closed to
      all but canyon residents--as it has been for the past
      three weeks."
      (Editor's Note: Topanga Canyon was the site of a famous
      UFO contactee case back in 1952.)
      "In Orange County's Silverado Canyon, residents
      planned a pancake breakfast March 5 to raise money for the
      family of Caitlin Oto, 16. She was killed by a falling
      boulder Sunday as she worked at her computer in the
      apartment above the country store run by her stepfather
      and her mother."
      "'It's very sad,' said Rachel Brown, 28, a waitress
      at the Silverado Cafe who has lived in the canyon all her
      life. 'They've lost their home, their store and their
      "The boulder incident reminded longtime residents of
      a 1969 mudslide that killed five people taking refuge at a
      fire station in the canyon."
      "But 'nobody is ready to leave,' Brown says." (See
      USA Today for February 22, 2005, "Deadly S. California
      storm rages into its 5th day," page 3A; and for February
      23, 2005, "Rain, mud pouring down in Calif.," page 3A.)


      "A huge frozen sea lies just below the surface of
      Mars, a team of European scientists has announced."
      "Their assessment is based on pictures of the
      planet's equatorial Elysium region that show plated and
      rutted features across an area 800 by 900 kilometers (480
      by 540 miles)."
      "The team thinks a catastrophic event flooded the
      landscape five million years ago and then froze intact."
      "Large reserves of water ice are known to be held at
      the poles on Mars, but if this discovery is confirmed by
      followup observations, it would be a first for a region at
      such low latitude."
      "'It's been predicted for a long time that you should
      find water close to the surface of Mars near the equator,'
      Jan-Peter Muller from University College, London, said."
      "'This is an area where there are a lot of river
      features, but no one has ever seen a sea before, and
      certainly no one has ever seen pack ice before,' he told
      BBC News."
      "The interpretation is based on images taken by the
      High Resolution Stereo Camera aboard Europe's Mars Express
      spacecraft. These show extensive fields of large, platy
      features--reminiscent of fractured ice floes found in the
      polar regions on Earth," which are covered with a layer of
      windblown dust.
      "Finding exposed ice at the (Martian) equator will be
      unlikely. Very low (air) pressure on the planet would
      lead to sublimation, i.e. the ice would change over time
      straight to water vapour."
      "But the research group, led by John Murphy from Open
      University, UK told (the science journal) Nature, that a
      crust of dust and volcanic ash, perhaps four to five
      centimetres (1.5 to 2 inches) thick, has prevented this
      from happening."
      "'The story runs that the water flowed in some kind
      of massive cataclysmic event; pack ice formed on that body
      of water and broke up; and then the whole thing froze
      rigid,' explained Prof. Muller."
      "'Large amounts of dust then fell over this area.
      The dust fell through the water and on top of the pack
      ice, which explains why the pack ice is a different hue to
      the area around it.'"
      "The water that formed the sea in southern Elysium,
      five degrees north of the (Martian) equator, seems to have
      originated beneath the surface of Mars, erupting from a
      series of fissures known as Cerberus Fossae."
      "Many of the features seen by the Mars Express have
      also been picked up by the Mars Orbiter Camera aboard the
      (USA's) Mars Global Surveyor."
      "The Mars Express has been in orbit around the Red
      Planet for a year." (See BBC News for February 21, 2005,
      "Mars pictures reveal frozen sea." Many thanks to Steve
      Wilson Sr. for this news story.)


      "Saturn's small snow-white moon Enceladus has
      revealed a turbulent history, according to the latest
      images from NASA's Cassini spacecraft."
      Enceladus was discovered in 1789 by the astronomer
      Sir William Herschel (1738-1822). He named the small
      moon, approximately 500 kilometers (300 miles) in
      diameter, after a giant of Greek mythology who rebelled
      against the gods of Olympus. Enceladus orbits Saturn at a
      distance of 238,100 kilometers (147,950 miles).
      "The moon is covered in smoking ridges, chasms and
      scratches, which probably means that the moon has been
      squeezed and stretched."
      "Cassini passed within 1,200 kilometers (720 miles)
      of Enceladus on Thursday, February 17, 2005, "taking
      detailed photos of the surface, revealing details as tiny
      as 60 meters (200 feet) across."
      "Enceladus is a geologist's paradise,' said William
      McKinnon of Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
      'It has endless sets of closely-spaced fractures and
      "He added that there are also blocks of high terrain
      and a variety of rifts."
      "This is all evidence of a tumultuous past, according
      to Paul Schenk of the Lunar and Planetary Institute in
      Houston, Texas. 'It has been pulled, stretched and
      compressed in multiple episodes of deformation and
      "The gravity of Saturn and another moon, Dione, are
      probably combining to distort the interior of Enceladus,
      causing" the folding and fracturing. "The same processes
      may have destroyed old craters, heating the surface so
      that it slowly slumps--even causing floods of icy lava."
      "'I'm betting that liquid ammonia-water is involved,'
      says McKinnon. He also points out what seems to be
      volcanic ice ridges."
      "And Enceladus's bright surface suggests there may be
      even more energetic volcanism at work. It is the
      brightest object in the solar system, so close to pure
      white that it must be covered in fresh ice--or snow--fired
      out of ice geysers. These geysers might blast some of the
      snow into orbit around Saturn, forming the (big) planet's
      tenuous E-ring, suggest scientists."
      "They are looking out for volcanic plumes on the
      moon's horizon, where they will be the easiest to spot
      against the inky blackness of space."
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor said he was "still
      hopeful" that someday Enceladus would become the home of a
      space colony of UFO enthusiasts.
      "It'll happen long after my time," Trainor said, "But
      I'm hoping that future ufologists who keep the Roundup
      going will someday transmit our weekly newspaper from
      "Actually, Enceladus is a good choice for space
      homesteading," he added, "There's plenty of snow, which
      can be melted down into water. The water can be used in
      hydroponic gardens to grow vegetables. Water can also be
      broken down via electrolysis into hydrogen and oxygen.
      The hydrogen can be used for cooking and energy; the
      oxygen for spacesuits to explore the terrain. Best of
      all, you have a great view of Saturn--the ringed planet
      fills much of the sky!"
      Trainor said he envisioned a space colony made up of
      "small homesteads, a science complex, a school and public
      library, and a central community center with the offices
      of UFO Roundup on the top floor. Truck farming will
      probably be the main industry. We'll sell fresh produce
      to passing alien spacecraft." (See New Scientist for
      February 18, 2005, "Survey shows Enceladus a 'geologist's
      paradise.'" Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. for this


      The anomalous tsunami that washed ashore in Argentina
      in January 2005 was not that unique. A similar event was
      studied in the early 1920s by the "Father of Ufology,"
      Charles Hoy Fort. (See UFO Roundup, volume 10, number 3
      for January 19, 2005, "Anomalous tsunami hits beach in
      Argentina," page 4.)
      While researching phenomena at the British Museum in
      London, Fort (1874-1932) came across a strange case that
      took place in the South Pacific on August 15, 1868.
      "Australian coast--not at Melbourne but at Sydney and
      Adelaide: wave 4 feet (1.3 meters) high met steamers and
      turned them around," Fort wrote in his data notes, which
      he kept in cardboard shoe boxes.
      Also on August 15, 1868, "Samoa--tidal wave (tsunami-
      -J.T.) 2:30 a.m. and (continues) for two hours, only upon
      the northern side." That is, from Cape Mulinuu to Puupua
      on Savaii Island; from Leulumoega to Tiavea on Upolu
      Island; and from Cape Taputapu to Cape Matutula on Tutuila
      Island. "At Upolo, tidal wave at 2 a.m."
      The same day, "immense wave shakes New Zealand. At
      Chatham Islands, 35 feet (10.6 meters) high and did great
      damage and stirred turbulent seas for 48 hours...Chatham
      Island settlement destroyed by three waves."
      A tsunami came ashore at Newcastle, N.S.W., 120
      kilometers (72 miles) north of Sydney, "tidal effects
      observed at 6 a.m."
      Amazingly, the tsunami in New Zealand was predicted.
      Fort wrote, "According to the Wellington Independent, for
      a week it had been rumoured around Wellington that on the
      (August) 15th there was going to be a big wave and shocks.
      'In every public house, the common expression in a half-
      incredulous manner was, 'We're going to be swamped
      Saturday (August 15, 1868).' At 8:30 a.m., the water did
      rise and there was excitement in town...There were shocks
      at 9:55 a.m."
      Across the Pacific, the same day, "Off San Pedro,
      Southern California, a series of waves flowed in,
      'elevating the tide 63 to 64 feet (21 meters) above the
      ordinary high water mark.' The phenomenon is attributed
      to submarine disturbances."
      But there were no "submarine disturbances" just prior
      to or during the various tsunamis. In fact, the first
      earthquake wasn't recorded until the following day,
      Sunday, August 16, 1868. Fort wrote, "Quake at Quito
      (Ecuador) at 1:20 a.m."
      "Lylletton, N.Z.: the wave at 4 a.m. An hour before
      it came, sound was heard and shocks felt but (the
      newspaper) said that at this time water (was) noticed
      going out of the harbour."
      Fort's notes list his sources as the Wellington, N.Z.
      Independent for August 29, 1868, page 5; the Melbourne Age
      for October 17, 1868; the Wellington Independent for
      August 20, 1868, page 5; the Taranak, N.Z. Herald for
      August 29, 1868; and the New York Tribune for August 21,
      1868, page 1.
      The cause of the tsunamis in Australia, New Zealand,
      Samoa and southern California was never determined.

      SUNK BY A USO?

      "Lost: much-loved robot submarine, last seen under
      200 meters (660 feet) of Antarctic ice last Wednesday,"
      February 16, 2005, "answers to the name Autosub."
      "The British unmanned research submarine," valued at
      1.5 million pounds sterline, "was investigating the waters
      below the Fimbul ice shelf when it became trapped.
      Scientists don't know what went wrong, but say the
      submarine is stuck and is unlikely to be rescued."
      "Gwyn Griffiths, an ocean engineer at the Southampton
      Oceanography Centre" in UK, "who built the Autosub, said,
      'It isn't going to come back. We've lived with this
      vehicle for eight years, and it's done 382 missions. But
      every time we put it out, there's a chance it isn't going
      to return. It was sort of inevitable.'"
      "Scientists sent the submarine under the ice shelf,
      one of the most inaccessible and poorly-known environments
      on Earth, to collect information about the role of the
      ocean in climate change. It was also to investigate
      whether global warming is accelerating, how the ice melts
      and what sort of creatures live in Antarctic waters."
      "The conditions and terrain on the ice shelf are so
      treacherous that collecting data at the surface, even
      using tethered robotic vehicles, is dangerous."
      "The seven-metre (22-foot) Autosub, also known as an
      automatic underwater vehicle, was about to return to the
      British Antarctic Survey's research ship James Clark Ross
      on Wednesday."
      "Instead, it began to broadcast a distress signal
      from a position about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from the
      ship under the 200-metre (660-foot) thick ice sheet."
      "The sub is not remote-controlled--its route is
      programmed before departure, and it uses an onboard system
      to navigate."
      "Powered by 5,160 D-cell batteries, it can run for
      about 300 miles (500 kilometers) over several days."
      "The vehicle is not insured--scientists knew that if
      it got into trouble under the ice, it would be impossible
      to rescue." (See The Guardian of UK for February 21,
      2005, "Has anyone seen our submarine?")

      From the UFO Files...

      1958: THE EMMAVILLE

      Black panthers are not indigenous to the island
      continent of Australia, but people have reported seeing
      them--or creatures like them--since the 1780s.
      Rex Gilroy and other Fortean researchers in Australia
      have theorized that what is often described as a "black
      panther" Down Under is actually a large predator of the
      marsupial family, a distant relative of the opossum and
      the kangaroo. Some have dubbed this mysterious beast "the
      Outback Terror."
      Forty-seven years ago, in February 1958, the biggest
      "panther" flap in Australian history broke out in the bush
      country around Emmaville, a small community about 200
      kilometers (120 miles) west of Grafton, New South Wales.
      In his book Mysterious Australia, Rex Gilroy writes,
      "One of the largest Australian 'panthers' ever reported
      was claimed seen in 1949 by Mr. Harry Waters, who told me
      the following story in 1979:"
      "'I was out shooting deer in Rangers Valley (situated
      between Glen Innes and Emmaville--R.G.) The time was 11
      a.m., when in pine-forest country, I walked onto a hilltop
      to get a view of the surrounding country.'"
      "'As I stood there, admiring the view, I saw below
      me, 40 yards (36 meters) down the hillside, an enormous,
      black panther-type animal standing looking up at me. It
      was a good eight feet (2.4 meters) long from head to tail,
      and about three foot, six inches (1.1 meters) off the
      ground on all fours. It had yellow eyes and its fur was a
      shiny black colour but not very long.'"
      "'It just stood there watching me for about five
      minutes. I had a 'Number One' shotgun with me and could
      have dropped the creature if it made a move in my
      direction, but it just remained where it was. I decided
      that 'discretion was the better part of valour,' so I
      turned and left the spot in haste. As I did so, however,
      I spotted the giant cat loping off into the forest in the
      opposite direction.'"
      "Graziers and other inhabitants of the Emmaville
      district still talk of the big outbreak of 'Emmaville
      Panther' sightings that occurred during 1958."
      The flap "can said to have started at 2 p.m. on 19th
      February (1958) near Coolatai, west of Emmaville. Kenneth
      Outzens, then 16 years old, was on horseback in bushland
      and was almost thrown from his horse when the animal
      bolted at seeing a large, black-furred, panther-like beast
      suddenly appear on a rock 10 feet (3 meters) away."
      "Outzens and a friend, Laurance Miller, then 40 years
      old, had a terrifying experience three nights later
      (February 22, 1958) in the same area. They were forced to
      stay locked in their caravan (trailer in the USA--J.T.)
      while what appeared to be the same creature prowled around
      the vehicle, leaving tracks which they found the next
      "Then, on the night of 25th February (1958), a Dr.
      R.S. Patterson was driving on the Inverell-Emmaville road
      when he caught sight of a 'large black animal' in the
      headlights barely 100 years (90 meters) ahead of him."
      "'I swung at it, knowing it was not a dog, and just
      caught him. I saw a large black paw come up, and when I
      stopped the car there were heavy scratch marks on the
      side. I raced to the town to get a gun and tell police,'
      (Dr. Patterson) told a journalist later."
      "It was about this time that Donald Clifford, then 15
      years of age and grandson of the then-Severn Shire Council
      President, Mr. E. Clifford, was searching for lost horses
      when he spotted a large cat-like beast a mere 'thirty
      paces ahead' in bushland outside Emmaville."
      "These monster cats were creating a wave of terror
      across a wide area of New England (a region in northern
      New South Wales--J.T.) at the time. Some graziers
      (ranchers in the USA--J.T.) lost thousands of pounds'
      worth of valuable stock, and many suffered some financial
      "For example, Mr. Clive Berry of Kingston was
      reported to have had two thousand pounds worth of sheep
      destroyed; and at Emmaville in mid-1958, seven big steers
      were torn to pieces by one or more of these monsters."
      "In another incident, a farmer discovered one of his
      rams dead, ripped up and wedged between the fork of a tree
      limb high up off the ground. Deep scratch mark on the
      tree trunk told him that one of the 'big cats' of
      Emmaville was responsible."
      "No one went about in the bush alone without a gun.
      Tracks of mystery beasts were being found all over the
      Emmaville district and beyond."
      "Finally on 25th June of that year (1958), Sir Edward
      Hallstrom, Director of Sydney's Taronga Park Zoo, offered
      rewards of 1,000 and 500 (Australian) pounds for the
      capture of the beast, or beasts, alive or dead, but the
      giant creatures eluded would-be reward hunters."
      But that wasn't the end of the Outback Terror. The
      mysterious panther-like creature continued to be seen over
      the years.
      In 1960, "further south, around Armidale (N.S.W.),
      locals were having their own problems."
      "Mr. Ted Bell of Mereworth, Black Mountain, near
      Armidale, was convinced that a 'panther' was responsible."
      "'I have seen it twice at night and heard it four
      times. It has a high, blood-curdling scream. I lost 100
      sheep to it one winter. The animal tears the side out and
      eats both the kidneys and the tongue,' he said to a
      "Typical of these reports is the story of Steve and
      Judy Beaty who were driving near Emmaville one night in
      April 1975. As they passed a property, they saw it in the
      bright moonlight, 'a cow-length, shiny, black-furred
      panther-type animal,' jump the fence and dash across the
      road in front of them. They saw it illuminated by the
      headlights momentarily as it scrambled into thick roadside
      scrub, leaving them both very shaken by their experience."
      "On Sunday morning, 2nd February 1986, Mr. Stan
      Nelson was out bowhunting for rabbits around 6:30 a.m. in
      the Moonbi Ranges above Kootingal when, on an opposite
      ridge, he saw a slender Alsatian dog-sized, black-furred,
      panther-like animal with a round-type head and a tail
      about as long as its body. Mr. Nelson observed it for
      about one-and-a-half minutes before it walked away into
      "At nearby Kootingal in September 1990, a number of
      people saw a large, six-foot (1.8-meter) long, black
      doglike/catlike 'panther' dragging a sheep across a
      paddock into granite mountain country."
      In early April 1993, "a Tamworth sportsman and cross-
      country runner, Mr. Mathew Kalunder, claimed to have seen
      a panther-type creature. His sighting received local
      media publicity."
      "...while training for the national mountain-running
      championship, he was running up Kamilaroi walking track,
      not far from Oxley Lookout which overlooks Tamworth
      (N.S.W.) on its eastern side, when he came face to face
      with a large black 'cat' crouching beside the track on
      this rugged, scrub-covered mountainside."
      "'I was just as surprised as the animal,' Mathew
      "'It was just after 6 p.m. around dusk. I was
      running up the hill, and about 20 metres (66 feet) ahead
      of me there was this animal with its back to the track.
      It looked over its shoulder when it heard me and crouched
      down, but then it headed off into the bush.'"
      "'I wasn't seeing things. I'm a bit of a sceptic. I
      know what a dog looks like, but I'd never seen anything
      like this before. Nobody's going to believe me, but this
      really was fair dinkum,' he said."
      Rex Gilroy added, "A major contribution to the study
      of the 'Australian panther' migratory habits was made by
      researcher Michael Roberts in the late 1950s. The
      frequency with which these marauding catlike beasts
      emerged each year from the wilderness country of the
      Queensland/New South Wales border led Mr. Roberts to make
      a study of the dates on which sightings of the animal were
      made. He found that the creature's movements coincided
      with the start of the dry season hereabouts..."
      "The animals usually begin their 'run' in February
      around Coolatai, west of Ashford, then arrived in Ashford
      about April. They reached Emmaville in June, and Glen
      Innes that same month. Then they moved southward to
      Armidale and Uralla in July, from where they crossed the
      Moonbi Range into the Manilla district and travelled
      northward to Barraba by the end of that month. They were
      finally seen around Warialda, southwest of Coolatai, by
      September, thus completing an approximate seven-month
      "A number of researchers believe that the creatures
      follow the native food chain, preying upon farm stock
      along the way." (See the book Mysterious Australia by Rex
      Gilroy, Nexus Publishing, Mapleton, Qlnd., Australia,
      1995, pages 97, 98, 99, 100 and 101.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth--and occasionally, Mars and Saturn-- brought
      to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See
      you next time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.