Claim inflames martian life debate

  • Joe (uuk) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2005
      From ww.nature.com:
      http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050221/full/050221-15.html

      Formaldehyde claim inflames martian debate
      MarK Peplow

      Top scientist defends data that he says point strongly to life on
      Mars.

      <image>

      Formaldehyde has been found in the martian atmosphere, according
      to a senior scientist working with the Mars Express orbiter. If
      correct, the discovery provides strong evidence that Mars is
      either extremely geologically active, or harbouring colonies of
      microbial life. But many experts are not yet convinced.

      The claim comes from Vittorio Formisano, who is in charge of the
      Planetary Fourier Spectrometer on the European Space Agency's
      orbiter. The spectrometer analyses infrared light, whose
      frequencies carry the fingerprints of chemicals in the
      atmosphere.

      Full article at URL above.

      Joe
    • Peter Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2005
        Joe, it was stated in the below message that
        "Mars is either extremely geologically active, or harbouring colonies of
        microbial life. But many experts are not yet convinced.
        DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
        It would take a mass landing of extraterestrials at all points of the globe
        to convince some of the "Old WISE scientists" that we are not alone in this
        Univers..ity........ Sometimes "OLD
        beliefs" die hard. Many younger type up and coming leaders in the science
        field are begining to take a stand against the old "shut up and lie, do as
        we say, keep the peace" attitudes of their teachers.

        It is becoming increasingly evident that Mars has had and still has life on
        it. Why lie about it ?
        Let's explore Mars, the Moon and all other near by planets and share all the
        findings with all of us. Of course caution needs to be observed by all
        means...but don't lie about any findings, after all we pay for all the
        studies in the first place, we are their Employer's.

        Johno

        > Formaldehyde claim inflames martian debate
        > MarK Peplow
        >
        > Top scientist defends data that he says point strongly to life on
        > Mars.
        >
        > <image>
        >
        > Formaldehyde has been found in the martian atmosphere, according
        > to a senior scientist working with the Mars Express orbiter. If
        > correct, the discovery provides strong evidence that Mars is
        > either extremely geologically active, or harbouring colonies of
        > microbial life. But many experts are not yet convinced.
        >
        > The claim comes from Vittorio Formisano, who is in charge of the
        > Planetary Fourier Spectrometer on the European Space Agency's
        > orbiter. The spectrometer analyses infrared light, whose
        > frequencies carry the fingerprints of chemicals in the
        > atmosphere.
        >
        > Full article at URL above.
        >
        > Joe

        > ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        require
        > further investigation.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---
        Virus Database (VPS): 0509-3, 01/03/2005
        Tested on: 2/03/05 11:51:21 PM
      • Michael Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2005
          --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Johnson" <johno@n...> wrote:
          > Joe, it was stated in the below message that
          > "Mars is either extremely geologically active, or harbouring
          colonies of
          > microbial life. But many experts are not yet convinced.
          > DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
          > It would take a mass landing of extraterestrials at all points of
          the globe
          > to convince some of the "Old WISE scientists" that we are not alone
          in this
          > Univers..ity........ Sometimes "OLD
          > beliefs" die hard. Many younger type up and coming leaders in the
          science
          > field are begining to take a stand against the old "shut up and
          lie, do as
          > we say, keep the peace" attitudes of their teachers.
          >
          > It is becoming increasingly evident that Mars has had and still has
          life on
          > it. Why lie about it ?
          > Let's explore Mars, the Moon and all other near by planets and
          share all the
          > findings with all of us. Of course caution needs to be observed by
          all
          > means...but don't lie about any findings, after all we pay for all
          the
          > studies in the first place, we are their Employer's.
          >
          > Johno

          MM:
          I'd expect more, and more, evidence to be found. In my opinion, Mars
          used to be as lush, as the earth is now. The climate has become much
          colder and drier, so not as much life would be left there. The
          atmosphere of Mars has changed composition, too.

          Michael Martin

        • Peter Johnson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
            Right , but untill we actually start proding around in caves and really
            looking for life there...we are just wasting money. Why go to say the Sakara
            desert to find life on Earth...you know what I mean ?

            Peter
            > > Joe, it was stated in the below message that
            > > "Mars is either extremely geologically active, or harbouring
            > colonies of
            > > microbial life. But many experts are not yet convinced.
            > > DUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
            > > It would take a mass landing of extraterestrials at all points of
            > the globe
            > > to convince some of the "Old WISE scientists" that we are not alone
            > in this
            > > Univers..ity........ Sometimes "OLD
            > > beliefs" die hard. Many younger type up and coming leaders in the
            > science
            > > field are begining to take a stand against the old "shut up and
            > lie, do as
            > > we say, keep the peace" attitudes of their teachers.
            > >
            > > It is becoming increasingly evident that Mars has had and still has
            > life on
            > > it. Why lie about it ?
            > > Let's explore Mars, the Moon and all other near by planets and
            > share all the
            > > findings with all of us. Of course caution needs to be observed by
            > all
            > > means...but don't lie about any findings, after all we pay for all
            > the
            > > studies in the first place, we are their Employer's.
            > >
            > > Johno
            >
            > MM:
            > I'd expect more, and more, evidence to be found. In my opinion, Mars
            > used to be as lush, as the earth is now. The climate has become much
            > colder and drier, so not as much life would be left there. The
            > atmosphere of Mars has changed composition, too.
            >
            > Michael Martin

            ---
            Virus Database (VPS): 0509-5, 04/03/2005
            Tested on: 6/03/05 1:50:47 AM
          • Michael Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2005
              --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Johnson" <johno@n...> wrote:
              > Right , but untill we actually start proding around in caves and
              really
              > looking for life there...we are just wasting money. Why go to say
              the Sakara
              > desert to find life on Earth...you know what I mean ?
              >
              > Peter

              MM:
              Good point. That's a good suggestion. I'd suggest to visit the
              Cydonia region. I'm of the opinion, that we might find a lot of
              evidence there, perhaps buried in the dust, or inside those
              structures, which appear to be pyramids, or even a face. I think
              that face, although admittedly, seriously eroded, must have been
              constructed by intelligent beings.

              Michael Martin