Astronomers spot invisible galaxy

  • Joe (uuk) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      From ww.nature.com:
      http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050221/full/050221-10.html

      Astronomers spot invisible galaxy
      Mark Peplow

      Discovery supports most recent theories about exotic dark matter.

      <image>

      A galaxy that is made almost entirely of dark matter has been
      discovered. It's the first galaxy found to have no stars at all,
      but it fits well with predictions made by astrophysicists about
      where the Universe's missing mass should be.

      "We've thrown as many tests at it as we can, and it looks like a
      dark galaxy," says Robert Minchin from Cardiff University, UK,
      one of an international team of astronomers that made the find.

      Full article at URL above.

      Joe