Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

FWD: [UASR] UFO ROUNDUP Volume 4 Number 16

Expand Messages
  • Frits Westra
    Posted by : [UASR] Perry J. van den BrinkUFO ROUNDUP Volume 4, Number 16 August 10, 1999 Editor: Joseph TrainorBACK FROM THE
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 1999
    • 0 Attachment
      Posted by : "[UASR]>Perry J. van den Brink" <owner-uasr@...>

      Volume 4, Number 16
      August 10, 1999
      Editor: Joseph Trainor


      Nice to be back. And it's hard to believe
      that three months and three weeks have passed
      since the "Millenium Bugout,' also known as your
      editor's move to the Midwest put a dent in this
      year's edition of UFO Roundup.
      For the time being, until I can find a reliable
      server, the newsletter is going to resemble the
      Fortean Times of the late 70s and early 80s.
      It's liable to be more of a "sporadical" than a
      "weekly." But I will try to have the newsletter
      back on track with a regular schedule in the near
      For now, though, let's get to the news. Read
      the first three stories, and you'll see why I've started
      calling 1999 the "summer of Midwest mysteries."


      On Sunday, August 1, 1999, at 9 a.m., B. White
      and D. Jagger were having breakfast at the American
      Table restaurant in Warsaw, Indiana (population 10,968),
      a small city 85 miles (136 kilometers) southeast of
      Chicago, when they spotted an unusual white van
      parked in the lot of the Days Inn next door.
      White described the vehicle as "all white with
      UFO INTERCEPT on the back window. Under that it
      had the web address www.ufoinfo.com."
      Although this is the web address of UFO INFO,
      the parent site of UFO Roundup, neither site
      webmaster John Hayes nor newsletter editor Joseph
      Trainor owns such a van or has any knowledge of a
      group calling itself UFO INTERCEPT.
      Deepening the mystery were the van's out-of-state
      license plates and its puzzling array of high-tech
      communications equipment and antennae.
      White described it as "a full-size newer van"
      with "Georgia plates. He was unable to recall the
      numerals on the Georgia license plate.
      The two men saw "lots of antennas and the
      rotating dish of a radar," White reported, "It was
      white like on a ship," and the dish "spun around."
      White saw a male Caucasian approach the
      mysterious van. He described the man as "late
      fifties, early sixties. He had medium-length white/
      gray hair. He was around 5 feet, 9 inches (tall).
      190 to 200 pounds and stocky...He had on jeans
      and a sky-blue, button-up shirt that was not tucked
      "The man walked to the van and opened the
      driver door and peered around, leaning in the van,"
      he added, "He then walked to the passenger door and
      did the same. He closed the door and then walked
      up some (motel) stairs."
      Their curiosity aroused by the website addressm
      White and Jagger logged onto the UFO INFO website.
      Afterwards, they sent an email to webmaster John
      Hayes, who lives in Edmonton, London, UK and
      was intrigued by the web address on the van.
      The investigation continues.
      (Editor's Comment: John and I have separate
      opinions on this case. He thinks it might be a
      high-tech-oriented Roundup fan. I think it's a
      surveillance van of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
      and Firearms (ATF) in UFO drag. Although what
      it's doing in Warsaw, Indiana is anybody's guess.)


      On Sunday, July 4, 1999, your editor left his
      apartment at 8:30 p.m. to watch the big Fourth of
      July fireworks celebration in Duluth, Minnesota
      (population 85,414), a port city on Lake Superior
      approximately 156 miles (249 kilometers) north
      of Minneapolis.
      At first I planned to watch the fireworks show
      from Skyline Parkway, up on Hawk Ridge, which
      has a panoramic view of St. Louis Bay, Duluth and
      the neighboring city of Superior, Wisconsin. But a
      thunderstorm was moving in, and the cloud mists
      were so thick up on the ridge that I could barely see
      twenty feet (6 meters) ahead of me.
      So Instead, I drove halfway down Duluth's Central
      Hillsie to Observation Community Park, one of the
      32 municipal parks in the city. The park is located
      on Third Street near Tenth Avenue West and has a
      breathtaking view of the downtown area, the city's
      waterfront, Park Point and Bayfront Park, the site
      of the Fourth of July celebration.
      About 35 people from the neighborhood were
      with me at 9 p.m., waiting for the show to begin
      in one hour. Mindful of the "tornado alert" I'd
      seen on KDLH-TV Channel 3 earlier in the evening,
      I kept one eye on the threatening clouds. We heard
      several booms of thunder and saw lightning flashes,
      mostly within the thunderclouds. Although an
      occasional lightning bolt touched down across St.
      Louis Bay in Superior, Wisconsin and west of our
      city near Thompson Hill and Spirit Mountain.
      At 9:05 p.m. I saw the black helicopter. It
      came in fast from the west, over the Enger Tower,
      and made a slight turn to the left, flying right past
      Observation Park at an estimated altitude of
      4,000 feet.
      I couldn't believe my eyes. No pilot in his right
      mind would be flying in weather like this. I saw
      lightning flashing white and pale green just above
      the chopper's rotor blades. But the pilot flew on
      as if it were a clear and sunny day.
      The helicopter was a pitch-black turbojet
      chopper with four rotor blades, a Polaroid windshield,
      two side windows, a shrouded tail rotor and no
      visible landing gear, neither wheels nor skids. The
      helicopter had no insignia of any kind visible. It
      was operating without red or green navigation lights.
      I kept this helicopter in view as it flew past the
      park in a northeasterly direction, over the midtown
      area, until it disappeared over the hily horizon north
      and east of Mount Royal and Woodland Avenue. I
      had the helicopter in view for about three minutes.
      At 9:10 p.m., Observation Park was hit by a
      sudden, violent downpour. The rain lasted for only
      five minutes, however. Afterwards, the onlookers and
      I stepped out from under the eaves of the Clubhouse
      building and resumed our viewing spots in the park's
      tennis courts, still waiting for the fireworks show.
      At 9:40 p.m., the black helicopter returned.
      This time it came from the Spirit Mountain area, a
      little to the south of its previous point of origin, and
      flew the same west-to-east course over the central
      city. Again the pilot seemed oblivious to the high
      winds and lightning flashes among the clouds.
      This time, however, the chopper did have two lights
      on. Both of them were bright yellowish-white lights,
      mounted in the center of the botom of the fuselage
      and aiming fore and aft. Even at an estimated
      altitude of 2,500 feet, the lights' glow was strong
      enough for me to make out details of the chopper's
      fuselage in the growing darkness.
      After the fireworks show, I returned home and
      dug out my aircraft recognition handbook. I looked
      for a match with the helicopter I'd seen. And I
      fouind one.
      I believe it was a Eurocopter AS 565 Panther, a
      light attack and utility chopper unveiled in 1984 and
      used by NATO.
      The thunderstorm turned out to be one of the
      most destructive in the Northland in recent years,
      affecting an area stretching from International
      Falls, Minnesota to Rhinelander, Wisconsin.
      The storm did $14 million worth of damage to
      the region, although most of the lightning damage
      was in northern Wisconsin.
      I have no idea why that NATO chopper was
      flying in so violent a thunderstorm or what it was
      doing in Duluth, Minnesota. (For more on the
      storm, see the Duluth News-Tribune for July 5,
      July 6 and July 22, 1999.)
      (Editor's Comment: During the past month, I've
      wondered if the black chopper was out searching
      for Benjamin Smith. the gunman who killed
      basketball coach Ricky Byrdsong and a Korean
      grad student in Illinois and Indiana over the Fourth
      of July weekend. But if it was hunting for Smith,
      it was in the wrong state. Smith died in a police
      shootout in southern Illinois earlier that Sunday


      On Friday, June 26, 1999, a 37-foot Sea Ray
      Sundancer powerboat ran over a fishing boat and
      capsized it. The accident took place on Lake
      Michigan just east of Two Rivers, Wisconsin
      (population 13,030) a town located 91 miles
      (145 kilometers) north of Milwaukee.
      Missing and presumed dead is Mark Rickert
      of Appleton, Wisconsin.
      "Chief Petty Officer Mark Barker, in charge of
      the U.S. Coast Guard station in Two Rivers and
      Sheboygan said the agency searched 100 square
      miles in calm seas 'with fantastic visibility,' Saturday,"
      June 27, 1999.
      "'We turned up nothing,' he said."
      "The Coast Guard called off its search for the
      46-year-old man Saturday...The missing man and
      three others on the 19-foot fishing boat when a
      37-foot Sea Ray Sundancer 'ran over' their vessel,
      Barker said."
      "Barker said there were no plans to resume the
      search for Mark Rickert...unless some development
      warranted that move." (See the Milwaukee Sentinel
      for June 27, 1999.)
      (Editor's Note: Two Rivers is 7 miles north of
      Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Like its sister city across
      the lake--Ludington, Michigan--Manitowoc is alleged
      to be a nexus of the Lake Michigan Triangle.
      Manitowoc is also the locale of the sighting of the
      :weird white creature" in April 1998.)


      On Sunday, July 4, 1999, a UFO hovered in
      the morning sky over Jardim das Piranhas, a town
      in the state of Rio Grande do Norte in Brazil and
      was videotaped by a local photographer.
      Promtly at 8 a.m., Ricardo Rilley Cavalcantede
      Oliveira, 32, left his home on the Rua Pedro Araujo
      with his camcorder. Rilley Cavalcantede makes
      his living as a videographer specializing in shooting
      footage of weddings, and he was on his way to a
      local church.
      Ricardo told the Brazilian newspapers that the
      UFO "was just a glow, like a flourescent light. It
      was blue at that time and became reddish."
      That evening, he showed the video in public
      in Jardim das Piranhas central plaza. As the
      crowd watched, the UFO appeared again at
      8 p.m., hovering over the plaza.
      He described the glowing UFO as being
      "like a plate."
      Ricardo immediately grabbed his camcorder
      and began shooting. He shot ten minutes
      of video, and then his battery began wearing
      down. He went to fetch a fresh battery for
      the camcorder. When he returned, the
      hovering object was gone.
      "The thing was a white orb and then
      became red," Ricardo reported, "with a
      green aura around the edge." (See the
      Brazilian newspaper Diario de Natal for
      July 6, 1999. Muito obrigado a Thiago
      Luiz Ticchetti por eso caso.)

      Join us again for more UFO and
      paranormal news from around the world.
      The email address is still the same. So
      for the time being, send your UFO reports to
      Masinaigan@.... Have a great week!
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.