Strange Object Crashes To Earth In Holland - What Is It?

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 1999
      URL - http://www.sightings.com/ufo4/crashes.htm

      SIGHTINGS

      Strange Object Crashes
      To Earth In Holland -What Is It?
      From Ross Dowe <ippoz@...>

      8-7-99

      The following message was posted to the DMS Mr. Langbroek on Friday, 6
      August.

      Most postings on this list are in Dutch. I have translated this
      posting into English for the benefit of those on the meteorite mailing
      list who are not fluent in Dutch.

      My own impression of this "meteor something" is that it is more likely
      to be a hunk of satellite or other space junk than a traditional
      pre-space age meteorite.

      _________________

      Just returned from offices of the Aviation Police at Schiphol East
      [Amsterdam airport]. While there, together with Dr. Lindner of the
      earth sciences department of the University of Utrecht and officer
      Krone who had invited me, examined the object which crashed through
      the roof of an iron foundry in Weert on 22 July.

      To make a long story short, it is quite possible, but NOT YET CERTAIN,
      that we have the fifth recovered Dutch meteorite, and the first iron
      meteorite.

      It is a bizarre object. Dr. Lindner and I are both of the opinion that
      its form doesn't resemble that of a meteorite at all, but its texture
      does. A judgment of more or less "definitely not impossible!" A
      definite conclusion can only be drawn in this case after laboratory
      testing, and therefore I do NOT say here that it very certainly is a
      meteorite.

      Dr Lindner has taken the object with him for analysis in Utrecht. A
      piece will be sawn off for compositional study and the rest will go
      into an instrument to measure short-lived radio-isotopes.

      A photo was already published about two weeks ago in the Telegraaf
      [Dutch daily newspaper]. I saw it then, but in appearance it
      absolutely did not resemble anything whatsoever I had ever seen before
      in the field of meteoritics. Just the same, the texture is very
      believable if you hold it in your hands, with fusion crust or
      something that looks a lot like it.

      It is a slightly tapered, cylindrical piece of metal, with a dark
      brown-black "fusion crust".

      Dimensions: maximum length approx. 42 mm (1.65 inches) minimum
      thickness approx. 14 mm (0.55 inches)

      Very exceptional.

      www.over.tospace
      Ross Dowe