Fwd: [UASR]> The Dawn of an Era - Kenneth Arnold's historic sighting

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2005
      ------- Forwarded message -------
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      To: "Fort [No Personal Forwards]" <fort@yahoogroups.com>, "Forteana
      /Alternate Orphan/" <forteana@yahoogroups.com>,
      "skeptic@..." <skeptic@...>, "TLC
      Brotherhood" <tlc-brotherhood@...>, "uasr@..."
      <uasr@...>, "UFO UpDates - Toronto"
      <ufoupdates@...>
      Subject: [UASR]> The Dawn of an Era - Kenneth Arnold's historic sighting
      Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:33:54 -0700

      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      [U A S R]> UFOs-, ALIENs-, SPACE- RESEARCH MAILING LIST <[U A S R]
      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

      _UFO: The Complete Sightings_
      by Peter Brookesmith
      1995
      Barnes & Noble, Inc.
      120 Fifth Avenue
      New York City, NY 10011

      The Dawn of an Era
      Kenneth Arnold's historic sighting
      pp. 44-45

      TYPE: Daylight Disks
      PLACE: Cascade Mountains, Washington State, USA
      DATE: 24 June 1947

      BACKGROUND

      Idaho businessman Kenneth Arnold was an experienced pilot. He was flying
      east
      across the Cascade Mountains from Chehalis to Yakima, Washington, enticed
      by
      the offer of $5000 reward to spend an hour or so searching for a Marine
      Corps
      C-46 transport aircraft that had recently come down near Mount Rainier with
      32 men on board. Arnold's aircraft was specially designed for working in
      mountainous terrain. He took off from Chehalis airport at 2:00pm.

      THE EVENTS

      Kenneth Arnold was in the midst of his search at an altitude of about
      9200ft
      (2750m) above the town of Mineral (about 25 miles [40 km] south-west of the
      peak of Mount Rainier), and was making a 180° turn when 'a tremendously
      bright flash lit up the surfaces of my aircraft.' Arnold looked for the
      source of the flash, but the only other plane in the vicinity was a Douglas
      DC-4 airliner. Arnold then figured he had seen a flash of sunlight off his
      wings of a close-flying fighter; he speculated that he had been buzzed by a
      P-51 Mustang, the most powerful fighter then in common service with the
      USAF.

      Before he had time to look for a fast-moving Mustang, however, Arnold saw
      another flash -- and where it came from. 'I observed,' he reported, 'far
      to my left and to the north, a formation of very bright objects coming from
      the vicinity of Mount Baker, flying very close to the mountain tops and
      traveling at a tremendous speed.' They were moving almost directly across
      Arnold's own flightpath, which made it easy to calculate their speed.
      Arnold was amazed to discover that the nine craft were traveling at over
      1700 mph (2750km/h), well beyond the capability of any conventional
      aircraft
      at the time. What made this phenomenal speed all the more extraordinary
      was
      the way the craft were flying.

      Arnold said later: 'They didn't fly like any aircraft I had seen before...
      they flew in a definite formation, but erratically... like speed boats on
      rough water or similar to the tail of a Chinese kite that I once saw
      blowing
      in the wind... they fluttered and sailed, tipping their wings alternately
      and
      emitting very bright blue-white flashes from their surfaces.'

      Arnold decided to abandon his search for the missing C-46 and make for
      Yakima
      to report what he had seen. Landing there at about 4:00pm, he told his
      story
      to an airline manager and discussed it with other professional fliers,
      before
      taking off once more for Pendleton, Oregon. The news flew ahead of him:
      among the crowd to greet him there was reporter Bill Becquette, from the
      _East
      Oregonian_ newspaper. Arnold described the craft he had seen as flying
      'like
      a saucer would if you skipped it across the water.' From these words came
      the
      term 'flying saucers'. By now Arnold was sure that he had seen a flight of
      guided missiles, 'robotly controled'. He concluded that the government had
      chosen this way to announce the discovery of 'a new principle of flight'.

      Becquette put the story on the Associated Press wire. For three days at
      Pendleton, Arnold was besieged with enquiries. Finally, exhausted and
      unable
      to work, Arnold flew the 200 miles (320km) across the state line to his
      home
      in Boise, Idaho. Shortly after arriving there, Arnold had a telephone call
      from Dave Johnson, aviation editor of the _Idaho Stateman_ newspaper. The
      conversation changed everything for Arnold: 'I am sure he was in a position
      to know... that it was not a new military guided missile and... if what I
      had
      seen was true, it did not belong to the good old USA. It was then that I
      really began to wonder.'

      ASSESSMENT

      Though the immediate assumption was that Arnold had seen extra-terrestrial
      craft, Paul Devereux believes that Arnold saw a spectacular electromagnetic
      display created by faults and pressures in the Earth's crust, while Arnold
      himself came to believe that he had seen a hitherto unknown species of
      animal that inhabits the stratosphere. Hans van Kempen suggested that the
      UFOs were a flight of secret Republic XP-84 Thunderjets, which had a top
      speed of 605mph (975km/h) and had first flown in early 1946; but there is
      no evidence to support this.