Addendum -Can This Black Box See Into the Future?

  • visions
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2005
      Like many of you I have been following this exciting global consciousness work for some years.

      But because I've had quite a reaction to this last posting I am adding a couple of links to those who may want to research it further.

      Here's the URL for the tsunami data:

      The deviation from random prior to the quake appears quite apparent although I have to confess understanding this kind of statistical analysis is not my strong point!

      Here's the URL for the 9/11 data:

      I conclude with a perceptive comment on the 9/11 data from Global Consciousness Project Director Roger Nelson.

      "To begin a discussion of these remarkable results, I must acknowledge that the very best we can do is to report the data honestly and completely, because we do not have a theoretical understanding of the sort that must underlie robust interpretations. Of course we try hard to understand, and we are asked to explain the results. It is important to identify the answers we give as speculative and provisional, but having said that, I would like to describe a speculation that appeals especially to my aesthetic self, to my right brain. You can find more general discussion of alternatives and cautions elsewhere on the website.

      One way to think of these startling correlations is to accept the possibility that the instruments have captured the reaction of a global consciousness beginning to form. The network was built to do just that: to see whether we could gather evidence of a communal, shared mind in which we are participants even if we don't know it.

      Groups of people, including the group that is the whole world, have a place in consciousness space, and under special circumstances they ­ or we ­ become a new presence. Based on evidence that both individuals and groups manifest something we can tentatively call a consciousness field, we hypothesized that there could be a global consciousness capable of the same thing. Pursuing the speculation, it would seem that the new, integrated mind is just beginning to be active, paying attention only to events that inspire strong coherence of attention and feeling. Perhaps the best image is an infant slowly developing awareness, but already capable of strong emotions in response to the comfort of cuddling or to the discomfort of pain.

      The hypothesis we set out to test is that the REG devices we use may respond to the concerted effect of large numbers of people turning their attention in one direction, becoming absorbed in the same focus. The terrible events of September 11 were a powerful magnet for our shared attention, and more than any event in the recent memory of the world they evoked the extraordinary emotions of horror and fear and commiseration and dismay.

      The EGG network reacted in a powerful and evocative way. While there certainly are sensible alternative explanations, this is not a mistake or a misreading. It can be interpreted as a clear, if indirect, confirmation of the hypothesis that the eggs' behavior is affected by global events and our reactions to them. More important than any scientific question, however, is the question of meaning. What shall we learn, and what should we do in the face of compelling evidence that there may be such a thing as global consciousness? In fact this is not a new question. The results from this scientific study are an apparent manifestation of the ancient idea that we are all interconnected, and that what we think and feel has effects on others, everywhere in the world. The implication of the GCP/EGG data reflecting our shock and dismay is in some sense quite obvious. It says that even insensate electronic random generators can see the effects of hatred born of pain and despair. It means that the earth cannot support us in comfort as things now are. It urges a new understanding that we must learn to accept each other and help and support each other, everywhere in the world, if we are to live in peace on this beautiful earth. " Roger Nelson

      Best Regards

      Dave Haith