"hot spot" on Saturn's South pole

  • Joe (uuk) McGonagle
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2005
      MAUNA KEA (February 4, 2005) Astronomers using the Keck I
      telescope in Hawaii are learning much more about a strange,
      thermal "hot spot" on Saturn that is located at the tip of the
      planet's south pole. In what the team is calling the sharpest
      thermal views of Saturn ever taken from the ground, the new set
      of infrared images suggest a warm polar vortex at Saturn's south
      pole -- the first to ever be discovered in the solar system. This
      warm polar cap is home to a distinct compact hot spot, believed
      to contain the highest measured temperatures on Saturn. A paper
      announcing the results appears in the Feb. 4th issue of
      "Science."

      full story at:

      http://www2.keck.hawaii.edu/news/science/saturn/index.html