Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 5

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor. ========================== UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 5 February 1, 2005 Editor: Joseph Trainor
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 10, Number 5
      February 1, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      "People are again reporting having UFO sightings in
      the Nicobar Islands, the Andaman Islands, India, the
      Maldive Islands and in the central area of Sri Lanka."
      "The animals in these areas are again showing strange
      behavior. Tribesmen around the Andamans are again taking
      the signs seriously and are refusing to move back into the
      area" that was devastated by an earthquake measuring 9.0
      on the Richter scale and a subsequent catastrophic
      "The tribal people of the Nicobar and Andaman Islands
      have again moved to high ground. The sea birds are also
      showing strange signs."
      On Monday, January 25, 2005, "powerful earthquakes
      sparked panic in two countries Monday, nearly a month
      after a quake triggered a deadly wall of water that killed
      more than 160,000 people."
      "The two quakes, both magnitude 6.3" on the Richter
      scale "jangled nerves across the Indian Ocean region hit
      by the December 26 (2004) tsunami."
      "Panic briefly spread through the Indian coastal city
      of Madras after residents felt an earthquake centered in
      the Bay of Bengal, about 1,548 kilometers (930 miles)
      away, near the Nicobar and Andaman Islands."
      "Samuel Cherian, the senior police officer in
      Campbell Bay on the southernmost island in the Andaman
      archipelago, said he was sitting in his office
      when he felt 'a sudden jolt.'"
      "The aftershock was felt in Banda Aceh province on
      the northern tip of Sumatra," the largest island in
      Indonesia, "but such tremors have been common in the last
      month and residents have largely come to ignore them."
      "Seismologists said the quake near the Andamans was
      clearly an aftershock of the 9.0 magnitude quake that
      struck off the coast of Sumatra a month ago. The two lie
      on the same fault line, said John Bellini, a geophysicist
      at the U.S. Geological Survey in Golden, Colorado."
      "But a predawn temblor earlier Monday on the
      Indonesian island of Sulawesi--nearly 3,200 kilometers
      (2,000 miles) to the east--was not triggered by the Dec.
      26 quake because they lie on different faults, Bellini
      "Still, the Sulawesi quake, centered about 40
      kilometers (25 miles) southwest of the city of Palu, sent
      thousands of panicked residents running to higher ground."
      "'They were shouting, 'Water! Water!' because they
      feared waves,' said Dr. Riri Lamadjido, at the city's
      Undata Hospital, which received no injured patients as a
      result of the temblor."
      "About 30 wooden houses and some shops were damaged,
      Palu police said."
      Tremors continued Wednesday, January 26, 2005 in the
      Nicobar Islands with three more, one of which was about
      6.0 on the Richter scale. On Thursday, January 27, 2005,
      thirteen tremors, measuring about 4.5 to 5.5 on the
      Richter scale, again rattled the Nicobar Islands. Two
      more were reported in the same island chain on Friday,
      January 28, 2005.
      According to the newspaper India Daily, "The UFO
      sightings happen at night with strange lights. Ships
      travelling between India and the Nicobar and Andaman
      Islands, as well as commercial fishermen on the Indian
      Ocean, have reported receiving strange signals on their
      radios as they pass over the area," suggesting that the
      UFOs "are affecting the maritime radio frequencies."
      "According to some experts, these are signs of
      possible experimentation with tectonic plates by some
      "People in the Nicobar Islands claim that something
      is going on under the ocean--deep underground--a few
      kilometers beneath the watery surface."
      "The timing of the aftershocks is also strange.
      After one large aftershock, there is a considerable length
      of time before the next one. It means someone is
      controlling the aftershocks and are making sure the
      (tectonic) plates are not overstressed."
      "Since the big earthquake on Dec. 26, the Andaman and
      Nicobar Islands have experienced 121 aftershocks, all
      ranging between 5.0 and 6.0 on the Richter scale."
      "A sailor with the Shipping Authority of India, Ltd.,
      who has sailed on trans-Atlantic routes, says this part of
      the Indian Ocean now resembles the Bermuda Triangle
      region." (See India Daily for January 24, 2005, "UFO
      sightings and strange signals again reported in the Indian
      Ocean." Also the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for January
      25, 2005, "Earthquakes rattle nerves in tsunami region."
      Many thanks to Krishnari Bai Dharapurnanda for the Indian
      newspaper article.)


      Last week Ecuador was rattled by an incredible 12
      earthquakes in a period of just five days.
      The small country on the west coast of South America
      had its first quake on Thursday, January 20, 2005. It was
      the first of 12 "earthquakes of considerable magnitude
      along the Ecuadorian coast, keeping local residents in a
      state of fear."
      "Faced with a series of earthquakes, the locals have
      shown clear signs of concern."
      "Ecuadorian authorities have called for calm, stating
      that these are normal events, and fears that they may
      cause a tsunami have been dismissed."
      "The Geologic Institute pointed out that 'the cause
      of these events is understood in nature and therefore is
      unable to generate a tsunami.'"
      "Most of the quakes had their epicenter in the
      (Pacific Ocean) facing the shores of Manta, 260 kilometers
      (156 miles) southwest of Quito," the national capital.
      "The other four occurred early Sunday morning,"
      January 23, 2005, "the first at an intensity of 4.5 and
      the final one at 5.0" on the Richter scale.
      "While most of the quakes occurred offshore from
      Manta, others were recorded in the vicinity of Esmeraldas,
      180 kilometers (112 miles) northwest of Quito.
      On Monday, January 24, 2005, at 6:23 p.m., a quake
      measuring 6.4 on the Richter scale shook the ocean floor
      45 kilometers (28 miles) southwest of Portoviejo, a
      fishing town located 275 kilometers (170 miles) west-
      southwest of Quito. (See the newspapers Las Ultimas
      Noticias of Chile for January 24, 2005, "Ecuador: 11
      earthquakes in four days," and El Comercio of Peru for
      January 26, 2005, "Another temblor in Ecuador." Muchas
      gracias a Scott Corrales, Liliana Nunez Orellana y Monica
      Gaetano de Silva por estes articulos de diario.)


      "Astronomical experts have joined forces with puzzled
      Shropshire residents in a bid to identify the mysterious
      beam of light spotted in the county's skies."
      "People across the county stopped in their tracks as
      a massive beam of light lit up the early morning skies on
      Tuesday," January 18, 2005. "But no one could explain
      what caused the eerie light, which disappeared three
      seconds later."
      "Now county residents and top boffins (UK slang for
      scientists--J.T.) have drawn up a list of possible
      explanations, including an iridium flare, a burning
      meteor, a bright searchlight, aircraft landing lights or
      even a UFO."
      "Sue Oliver, 37, of Briarwood, Brookside, Telford,"
      Shropshire, UK "saw the beam of light at 6:40 a.m. while
      walking her dog at nearby Nedge Hill."
      "She said that although she doesn't usually believe
      in 'weird happenings,' after seeing the light, she thought
      it could have been a UFO."
      "Montgomeryshire MP (Member of Parliament) Lembit
      Opik, who has campaigned to raise awareness of the idea of
      a meteorite or comet hitting the earth, claimed the light
      was most likely an iridium flare, which can illuminate
      hundreds of square miles and would look like a bright
      "But Kev Wildgoose, from the Shropshire Astronomical
      Soceity, disagreed and said 40 years of experience has led
      him not to believe it was an astronomical sighting."
      "'I'd be more inclined to identify it as an aircraft,
      perhaps a bright search light,' he said."
      "People in Lancashire also reported something strange
      in the sky on Tuesday," January 18, 2005. (See the
      Shropshire Star for January 21, 2005, "Experts join debate
      on mystery light." Many thanks to Robert Fischer for this
      newspaper article.)


      On Wednesday, January 26, 2005, at 4 a.m., Mark and
      Fran Hirst were sound asleep at their home in Wainuiomata,
      near Lower Hutt on New Zealand's North Island when
      something unusual happened.
      "I was woken just before 4 a.m. by a loud wooshing
      sound like a small tornado," Fran reported, "It became
      louder and louder, and it certainly didn't sound anything
      like a plane or a chopper (helicopter--J.T.). A UFO is
      all I could think of right then."
      "Then I saw a row of bright white strobe lights all
      moving in a circling motion through the (window) curtain.
      It lit the whole room even though the curtain were thick
      and were pulled. It passed overhead at a fairly slow
      "Then the noise and the lights disappeared, and I
      summoned the courage to look out the window. But it was
      nowhere to be seen. Nothing--just a still, quiet night.
      I did not see the actual craft. It was quite low but
      above roof height. A quick approach and an even quicker
      departure, an instantaneous departure."
      Lower Hutt is on New Zealand's North Island, located
      about 100 kilometers (60 miles) east of Wellington.
      (Email Form Report)


      On Tuesday, January 25, 2005, at 6:15 p.m., Dan F.
      was driving through East Penn Township near Lehighton,
      Pennsylvania (population 5,537) when he saw a cyclindrical
      UFO coming from the west.
      "I was driving home on Route 895, looking west and
      saw a flat, bar-shaped structure of white lights heading
      towards me," Dan reported, "I at first thought it was a
      plane but then realized it was very large and very low.
      It veered south toward the valley along the Blue Mountains
      and was probably 100 to 200 feet (30 to 60 meters) above
      the ground."
      "It made a steep turn and headed back towards the
      highway, as I slowed down to almost a stop to get a better
      look at it. There is nothing (in the township--J.T.) but
      old abandoned (stone) quarries, some farmland and
      woodlands along the stretch, and this would be nowhere
      near large enough to hold whatever it was."
      "As soon as I slowed down enough and was within a
      quarter-mile (0.4 kilometers) of the object, it made a
      showy right turn towards the mountains and promptly
      vanished. I turned off my radio and opened my window and
      heard no sounds at all. The skies were relatively clear.
      (The UFOs) speed variable, sometimes very fast, at other
      times almost floating."
      Lehighton, Pa. is on Highways 476 and 209,
      approximately 18 miles (30 kilometers) north of Allentown.
      (Email Form Report)


      On Friday, January 14, 2005, Kenneth Seay was
      outdoors in Charles City County, Virginia, southeast of
      Roxbury (population 500) when he spotted an unusual
      glimmer in the southwestern sky.
      "They were just above the horizon," Ken reported,
      "Pulsating with red, green, yellow and blue lights. The
      three of them stayed still for several moments. Then they
      moved directly west. They were closer and I could barely
      see lights in them. They stayed for about 15 minutes,
      then the closest one faded, vanished. There were still
      colored lights around. Their height was just above the
      horizon, and their speed was very slow."
      Roxbury, Va. is on Route 106 about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) east of Richmond, the state capital. (Many
      thanks to Tracy and Amy Helvey for this report.)


      "A 4.5-kilogram (10-pound) suspected meteorite landed
      in a rice field in northwestern Cambodia, narrowly missing
      a nearby village, police said."
      "'The rock fell on a harvested rice field from the
      sky on Monday morning (January 24, 2005),' said Sok
      Sareth, police chief of Banteay Meanchey province, which
      borders Thailand."
      "'According to villagers who live nearby, it came
      very quickly from the sky and made a noise like a bomb
      exploding. It dug about 40 centimeters (16 inches) into
      the ground,' he said."
      "'The rock was a little bit black and was hot and
      looks strange compared to other rocks. It was lucky that
      it did not land in the village, or people could have been
      killed,' he said, adding that experts should examine the
      "Pictures of the rock were splashed across the front
      pages of local newspapers" in Cambodia on Wednesday,
      January 26, 2005.
      "Sok Sareth said villagers reportedly wanted to turn
      it into a shrine."
      "'Nobody has asked for it yet, but I have been told
      that some villagers said they want to put it on a shrine
      and pray to it. But we won't allow them to do that. It's
      undignified,' he said." (See the Agence France Presse
      report for January 26, 2005, "Suspected meteor lands in
      Cambodia." Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive director
      of Skywatch International, for this news story.)


      "Two families of the commune of Victoria" in southern
      Chile "were shocked after finding almost all of their farm
      birds dead inside their henhouses."
      "The first occurred on a property located a few
      blocks from the city's main plaza during the early morning
      hours of Sunday," January 23, 2005. "It was still
      possible to see the feathers of the dead birds scattered
      throughout the sector."
      "People who were in the sector at the time of the
      attack stated that they had gone to bed around 4 a.m.
      without hearing any strange sounds. The first dead
      specimens were locked in a double-gated cage that was kept
      shut at night to keep the poultry safe from mice and cats.
      But the creature opened the gates to the cage, killing ten
      "Afterwards, the strange animal toured the two
      henhouses in the area, killing everything in its way,
      leaving feathers in its path."
      "The next case occurred in a house located three
      blocks from the municipal buildings in the downtown area
      of Victoria. This time, the birds showed clear wounds--
      puncture marks in their extremities and under their wings,
      leaving the birds completely purple, without a trace of
      blood on their plumage."
      "Luis Gonzalez, owner of the property, revealed that
      there was no need for guard dogs since his rooster played
      that role. The rooster kept strangers from approaching
      the enclosure, and its aggressiveness was such that the
      owner" allowed it to patrol the farmyard. "But the
      rooster's natural violence did not keep it from being
      killed by the 'animal' together with six hens."
      "There are other strange cases that had alarmed the
      residents of La Araucania, this time in the vicinity of
      Angol. One such case occurred while the city's jail was
      being built in 2000. A night watchman was doing his
      rounds when he saw a strange animal land on the hook
      holding the streetlight, bending it. The watchman managed
      to see 'something' with wings, measuring one meter (3
      feet, 3 inches), red eyes and completely covered in fur."
      (Editor's Note: Angol is a notorious UFO hotspot. A
      couple had an alien encounter there in 2000. See UFO
      Roundup, volume 6, number 10 for March 8, 2001, "Chilean
      couple's first date turns into an encounter with aliens,"
      page 2.)
      "According to Erasmo Mela, president of IFOV (Spanish
      acronym for Victoria UFO Phenemena Research--J.T.), 'We
      have had at least five cases attributable to the
      Chupacabras, and the same incisions were found on the
      wings. Other characteristics of these attacks are the
      absence of spilled blood. If you see an animal killing
      another, the killer shakes it, spilling blood everywhere.
      There were no traces of blood on the floor,' he stressed."
      "What is strange about the events in Victoria and
      neighboring communities is that the animal, which
      allegedly attacks rural areas, is now active in densely-
      populated areas, including backyards 400 meters from the
      central area of any city, such as its Plaza Mayor." (See
      the Chilean newspaper El Austral for January 24, 2005,
      "Chupacabras behind avian deaths?" Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Liliana Nunez Orellana por esto articulo de


      "A disease that has devastated the Tasmanian devil
      population is probably being spread by the animal's
      boisterous sex life, Australian scientists believe."
      The small animal, indigenous to Australia's island-
      state of Tasmania, "has been wiped out in many parts of
      the island over the past three years. The numbers of
      'Nature's janitor,' as the (Tasmanian) devil is nicknamed,
      has fallen from about 150,000 to less than half of that,
      with four out of five dying in some areas."
      "Researchers believe that the animals' habit of
      fighting over decaying carrion and engaging in robust
      sexual foreplay take credit for the speed at which the
      disease has spread. The illness, first noticed about five
      years ago, causes the development of facial tumors that
      leave the animal unable to see or eat." (See The
      Independent of UK for January 27, 2005, "Violent sex is
      'killing the Tasmanian devil.'" Many thanks to Mary Lou
      Jones-Drown for this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Spread by a "boisterous sex life," eh?
      Better hope some agent of Al-Qaeda doesn't show up in
      Hollywood for Oscar Night with one of these ailing
      critters on a leash.)


      "Black-and-white photos from the Huygens probe show a
      rugged terrain of ridges, peaks, dark vein-like channels
      and apparently dry lakebeds" on Saturn's largest moon,
      "On Earth, methane is a flammable gas. On Titan, it
      is a liquid because of the intense pressure and cold--274
      degrees below zero" on the Fahrenheit scale.
      "'There is liquid that is flowing on the surface of
      Titan. It is not water--it is much too cold--it's liquid
      methane, and this methane really plays the same big role
      on Titan as water does on Earth,' said mission manager
      Jean-Pierre Lebreton. 'There are truly remarkable
      processes at work on Titan's surface and in the atmosphere
      of Titan which are very, very similar to those occurring
      on Earth.'"
      "A sensor about the size of a police officer's
      nightstick on the front of Huygens probed beneath the
      moon's crust and found a material with the consistency of
      loose sand."
      "Channels on the (Titanian) surface are evidence of
      methane rain. There are also what appear to be river
      systems and deltas, frozen protrusions riddled by
      channels, apparent dried-out pools where liquid has
      perhaps drained away, and stones--probably (methane) ice
      pebbles--that seem to have been rounded by erosion."
      "'Does it rain only once a year? Is there a wet
      season once a year? Does it rain more frequently? We
      don't know,' said another member of the team, Martin
      Tomasko of the University of Arizona. 'The feeling is
      that in the place we landed, it must rain fairly
      frequently, but we can't be more precise than that.'"
      "The area is 'more like Arizona, or someplace like
      that, where the river beds are dry most of the time,' he
      added. 'Right after the rain, you might have open flowing
      liquids, then there are pools, the pools gradually dry
      out, and the liquid sinks down into the surface. Perhaps
      it's very seasonal.'"
      "The river beds are darkened by what appears to be
      particles of smog that fall out of Titan's atmosphere,
      coating the terrain. The dirt apparently gets washed off
      the ridges by the methane rain to collect in the river
      "It did not appear to be raining when Huygens
      descended throught Titan's (orange) haze on parachutes,
      'but it has been raining not long ago,' Lebreton said."
      "Scientists believe the dark smog particles are
      formed by Titan's methane, breaking up in the atmosphere.
      That raised another question: where does the methane come
      "'There must be some source of methane inside Titan
      which is releasing the gas into the atmosphere. It has to
      be continually renewed, otherwise it would have all
      disappeared,' Owen said."
      "Lebreton, the mission manager, said a next possible
      step in Titan exploration would be to send mobile probes,
      perhaps balloons to float around before landing."
      "The Mars Rover team has already contacted him to say
      that 'they really now are dreaming of sending their rovers
      on the surface of Titan,' he added. 'This is highly
      possible--that we can now dream seriously of sending
      rovers on the surface of Titan. We just need the money.'"
      "The probe was named after Titan's discoverer, the
      Seventeenth Century Dutch astronomer Christiaan Huygens."
      "Huygens was spun off from the Cassini mother ship on
      (Friday) December 24 (2004). The $3.3 billion Cassini-
      Huygens mission to explore Saturn and its moons was
      launched in 1997 from Cape Canaveral, Florida, a joint
      effort between NASA, the European Space Agency and the
      Italian Space Agency. Titan is the first moon other than
      Earth's to be explored." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for January 23, 2005, "Titan: Scientists unsure
      how often methane rains down on the moon's surface," page


      Just a few days after "the Blizzard of 2005," more
      snow fell on the USA's six New England states, with very
      heavy accumulation on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, which
      still hasn't dug out from the previous storm.
      "Hard on the heels of last weekend's Northeast
      blizzard, another snowstorm on Wednesday," January 26,
      2005, "gave Boston its snowiest month ever and sent a
      chill down South that could coat the region in ice."
      "Boston, which had 42.2 inches (105.5 centimeters)
      blew past the mark for its snowiest January (39.8 inches
      or 99.5 centimeters in January 1966--J.T.) and beat its
      record for a single month, set in February 2003 with 41.6
      inches (104 centimeters)."
      "Providence (Rhode Island), with 34.5 inches (86.2
      centimeters) through Tuesday," January 25, 2005, "flirted
      with its snowiest January, also in 1966, of 37.4 inches
      (93.5 centimeters)."
      "Cape Cod and Nantucket (island) were the hardest hit
      last week, getting two to three feet of snow. The
      National Weather Service said the two spots could get the
      most" on Wednesday, as well, "with up to 9 inches (22.5
      centimeters) forecast."
      "Massachusetts Gov. Milt Romney asked President Bush
      to declare a federal emergency for 10 counties still
      hurting from the blizzard."
      In the Taunton-Attleboro region of Massachusetts,
      "the followup punch to the weekend Blizzard of 2005 turned
      out to be a feather tap Wednesday, delivering far less
      snow than expected. Up to 8 inches (20 centimeters) of
      snow had been forecast, but the Attleboro Water Department
      had recorded 6.5 inches (16 centimeters) of snow from the
      storm, pushing the record-breaking monthly total to 51.25
      inches (127 centimeters), the most that the city has ever
      received in any month."
      Near-record accumulations of snow have also been
      reported in Duluth, Minnesota (population 86,918) and the
      communities along the north shore of Lake Superior.
      According to the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune, "Along
      the hills that define Minnesota's North Shore of Lake
      Superior, the snow already is so deep this winter that..."
      (1) "Snowmobiles are getting stuck if they venture
      off groomed trails."
      (2) "Homeowners are having to shovel in front of
      their ground-level windows just to let some light into the
      (3) "There's too much snow for snowshoeing at least
      off packed trails."
      (4) "People are spending hours moving snow piles...to
      make room for more snow piles."
      Larry Schanno, owner of Our Place tavern and
      restaurant in Finland, Minn., 75 miles (120 kilometers)
      northeast of Duluth, said, "I've never seen a winter where
      we had 100 inches (250 centimeters) of snow, and January
      isn't even over yet."
      "Actually, it's more like 111 inches (277
      centimeters), recorded right across the street at the
      Minnesota Department of Natural Resources office in
      Finland. There's about 40 inches (100 centimeters) still
      on the ground, thanks to a stunning four-day snowfall
      total--between January 19 and January 22--of 45.5 inches
      (113.75 centimeters)."
      "The Finland area has become the region's snow
      capital this winter, surpassing even Wisconsin's South
      Shore snowbelt. Earlier this week, there were 57 inches
      (132.5 centimeters)...It was the most snow ever on the
      ground at Wolf Ridge, Minnesota's snowiest place, and the
      most in Minnesota anyone can recall in 45 years."
      "'You have to be careful where you step or you go up
      to your armpits,' said Adam Barnett, a Wolf Ridge
      naturalist who takes his turn at 7 a.m. each morning to
      record the daily snowfall and snow depth totals."
      The snow depth at Wolf Ridge, on the outskirts of
      Finland, Minn. was "just a couple of feet shy of the all-
      time state snow-on-the-ground record of 75 inches (187.5
      centimeters) set in 1950" at Pigeon River, Minn. "on the
      Ontario border."
      "And there's still two months of winter."
      "'That's what's so unusual. That we have so much
      snow on the ground, and we aren't even into February,'
      said Sam Stanfield, climate expert with the National
      Weather Service in Duluth."
      "'Duluth has more snow on the ground than Marquette,
      Michigan, and that's unheard of. We're approaching usual
      seasonal totals already and we have a lot of snow to
      (Editor's Comment: That's for sure! Marquette is in the
      heart of what they call "the Big Snow Country" at the
      western end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.)
      According to the North Shore Journal, tiny towns such
      as Silver Bay, Beaver Bay, Tofte, Schroeder, Lutsen, Lax
      Lake and French River, Minn. have received incredible
      amounts of snow. "No matter how you say, it's still SNOW.
      With 79.5 inches (198 centimeters) fallen this season, and
      51.75 inches (129.4 centimeters) of those just this month,
      we've had more than our share! Our coldest real
      temperature was minus 27 degrees Fahrenheit...Some areas
      of town (Silver Bay, Minn.) were covered in snow a little
      more than others, but we all got plenty--for sure...Though
      a lot of us are tired of shoveling and snowblowing every
      other day, the resorts, restaurants, hotels and local
      establishments are sure to be singing choruses of 'Let It
      Snow, Let It Snow' well into April (2005)."
      Other cities with heavy snowfall in the region
      include Babbitt, Minnesota with 71.3 inches (178.25
      centimeters); Hurley, Wisconsin with 98 inches (272
      centimeters) and Ironwood, Michigan with 101 inches (279
      Down South, "more than 300,000 homes in Georgia were
      without power Sunday," January 30, 2005, "after a rare ice
      storm virtually paralyzed metropolitan Atlanta."
      "Hundreds of churches canceled services, and icy
      roads contributed to at least two drivers' deaths in
      Georgia and one in South Carolina."
      "'The goal is to get the majority back on by Monday
      evening,' Georgia Power spokeswoman Konswello Munroe
      "At Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport, thousands
      of stranded passengers lined up to re-book one day after
      hundreds of flights were canceled. About 300 passengers
      spent Saturday night," January 29, 2005, "at the airport.
      Most flights were operating on schedule by mid-(Sunday)
      morning." (See USA Today for January 27, 2005, "Boston
      sets snow record," page 3A; the Attleboro, Mass. Sun-
      Chronicle for January 27, 2005, "Area dodges the worst;"
      the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for January 27, 2005,
      "North Shore's in deep," pages 1A and 4A; the North Shore
      Journal of January 29, 2005; and USA Today for January 31,
      2005, "300,000 in the dark following Ga. storm," page 3A.
      Many thanks to Mary-Lou Jones Drown, Carolyn Rzepecki and
      Dan Dunphy for these newspaper articles.)


      With "the Big Freeze" blanketing the USA's New
      England states for the second week in a row, weird weather
      popped up in other parts of the world, as well.
      In Iraq, heavy snowfalls smothered the northern
      provinces of Dahuk, Irbil and Sulaymaniyah. On Tuesday,
      January 25, 2005, "15 centimeters (6 inches) of snow fell
      in Dahuk and Al-Aqra," north of Mosul, reported Ayesha al-
      Khatabi, UFO Roundup's Middle East correspondent. "It was
      very wet snow. Car wheels were spinning, and the roads
      were all blocked by stuck vehicles. Even more snow fell
      in the mountains around Raniyah and Rawanduz. Snow
      flurries were reported in Taqtaq, at the desert's edge."
      On Wednesday, January 26, 2005, beachgoers on the
      Mediterranean Sea island of Mallorca were stunned to see
      powdery snow falling from the sky.
      "This was the first snow on Mallorca in several
      decades," UFO Roundup correspondent Diego Carrasco
      reported. "It covered the fronds of the palm trees and
      the lemon, tangerine and olive trees. Cars were skidding
      off the highway between Parma and Manacor. Icicles were
      hanging from roof tiles in San Pablo. Since there were no
      (snow) plows on the island, the (Spanish) government had
      to ship them from Valencia."
      Mallorca is the largest of Spain's Balearic Islands,
      located in the Mediterranean Sea midway between Barcelona
      and Bejaia, Algeria.
      In the southern hemisphere, which is experiencing its
      summer, a storm front dropped a devastating load of hail
      on the Adelaide region in South Australia.
      According to the Australian Broadcasting Corp., on
      Wednesday, January 19, 2005, "Adelaide Hills residents say
      hailstones as large as apples fell" during the "big storm
      over the city."
      "The weather bureau said 27 millimeters (2.7
      centimeters or 1.3 inches) of rainfall was recorded" in
      the Gulf St. Vincent area.
      "Woodside resident Sarah Brayshaw says her (rain)
      gauge shows 60 millimeters (6 centimeters or 2.2 inches)
      fell in just a few hours."
      "She says her roof was pounded by hailstones the size
      of golf balls."
      "'We have a tin roof on our farmhouse and it was big
      and the sound was just deafening,' Mrs. Brayshaw said."
      "'We couldn't go outside because it would've hurt if
      it had fallen on us. It lasted for about three or four
      Readers Len and Becky Darroch told UFO Roundup, "It
      wasn't just Adelaide that was hammered by hailstones.
      Hail fell from Gawler to Willunga, and the noise of it
      hitting the roof drowned out all conversation." (See the
      Iraqi newspaper Al-Siyada for January 26, 2005; Agence
      France Presse for January 27, 2005; and the Australian
      Broadcasting Corp. report for January 20, 2005. Many
      thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi and Zuhur al-Azmat, Diego
      Carrasco and Len and Becky Darroch for these weather

      From the UFO Files...


      "On the gray morning of January 8, 1945, a flock of
      reporters, pencils and notepads at the ready, hovered
      around Admiral Jonas Ingram, commander of the Eastern Sea
      Frontier, in his wardroom aboard a warship in New York
      harbor. The scribes had come for what Ingram's public-
      relations staff had promised would be 'a historic press
      "Ingram, a heavyset, flat-nosed old salt who had
      gained national recognition as football coach at the
      (U.S.) Naval Academy (in Annapolis, Maryland), was one of
      the Navy's colorful characters--and most outspoken.
      Seated behind a long table, Ingram said, 'Gentlemen, I
      have reason to assume that the Nazis are getting ready to
      launch a strategic attack on New York and Washington by
      robot bombs.'"
      "There was a gasp of astonishment from the
      "'I am here to tell you that these attacks are not
      only possible, but probable as well, and that the (USA's)
      East Coast is likely to be buzzbombed within the next
      thirty or sixty days.'"
      "Ingram eyed his listeners, then added grimly, 'But
      we're ready for them. The thing to do is not to get
      excited about it. (The buzzbombs) might knock out a high
      building or two, might create a fire hazard, and most
      certainly would cause casualties. But (the buzzbombs)
      cannot seriously affect the progress of the war.'"
      "The hard-nosed Ingram added that 'it may be only ten
      or twelve buzzbombs, but they may come before we can stop
      "'At any rate,' the admiral concluded, 'I'm springing
      the cat from the bag to let the Huns know that we are
      ready for them!'"
      Coach Ingram's announcement triggered a media
      sensation. The following day, January 9, 1945, the New
      York Times ran the story with the headline ROBOT BOMB
      ATTACKS HERE HELD POSSIBLE. But the war in Europe ended
      on May 8, 1945, and no Nazi rocket came plummeting out of
      orbit to crash in Manhattan.
      Was Coach Ingram given to flights of fancy? Not at
      all. Allied intelligence knew that the Germans were
      working on a "New York Rocket." At least twenty of these
      large rockets were built at the SS underground base at
      Nordhausen. What happened to them is one of the enduring
      mysteries of World War II.
      In his 1952 book, V2--Der Schuss ins Weltall, Major
      General Walter Dornberger, commander of the Peenemunde
      Rocket Research Institute, described the "New York Rocket"
      in detail. He wrote, "Thus the A-9 came into being...the
      missile was planned to reach at a height of about 20
      kilometers (12 miles), a maximum speed of 4,400 kilometers
      per hour (2,800 miles per hour) and then go into a shallow
      curving glide with a peak of nearly 30 kilometers (18
      miles). On arrival over the target at a height of 5
      kilometers (3 miles), it was planned to dive vertically,
      like the" V-1, a primitive rocket-powered cruise missile,
      best known in World War II as "the buzz bomb."
      "A better plan, however, and one which greatly
      improved range, was to construct the A-10, weighing 87
      tons and with a total propellant capacity of 62 tons, as
      the first step of the combined A-9/A-10. The A-9 was
      placed on top of the A-10. The latter had a thrust of 200
      tons for 50 to 60 seconds and gave the rocket a speed of
      4,400 kilometers per hour. After the exhaustion of the
      first step (stage or A-10--J.T.), the A-9 would be ignited
      and lift out of the A-10."
      "Once we reached this stage (in the blueprints), the
      horses fairly bolted with us," Dornberger wrote, "With our
      big rocket motors and step (multi-stage) rockets, we could
      build space ships which would circle the earth like moons
      at a height of 500 kilometers (300 miles) and at speeds of
      30,000 kilometers per hour (18,000 miles per hour). Space
      stations and glass spheres containing the embalmed bodies
      of the pioneers of rocket development and space travel
      could be put into permanent orbits around the earth. An
      expedition to the moon was a popular topic, too. Then we
      dreamed of atomic energy, which would at last give us the
      necessary drive for flight into the infinity of space, to
      the very stars."
      Amazingly, the gang at Peenemunde drew up these
      blueprints during 1942 and 1943. In his book, Gen.
      Dornberger, a child of the Nineteenth Century, admits to
      being a little "disconcerted" by these off-duty bull
      sessions, in which Werner von Braun, Willy Ley, Klaus
      Reidel and even Hitler's favorite aviatrix, Hannah Reisch,
      "chatted with such easy familiarity about outer space, the
      moon, the planets and what forms extraterrestrial life
      might take."
      The question remains: did the A-9/A-10 combo ever
      make it into space?
      There are a handful of clues that it did. In 1968,
      Ballantine published a photo on the back cover of their
      paperback book on German secret weapons of World War II.
      It shows a swept-winged A-9 on top of a cluster of rocket
      boosters. Flames pour out of five nozzles on the array.
      It has the hazy appearance of being shot with a long
      telephoto lens.
      When your editor first saw this photo, I was struck
      by the similarity to the Soviet rockets then being
      launched from Baikonur. Unfortunately, with nothing in
      the photo's background to offer a size comparison, there
      is no telling whether the "customized" Nazi rocket is
      full-sized or merely a much smaller test model.
      On the other hand, on November 19, 1954, Hermann
      Klein, a former scientist at Peenemunde then living in
      exile in Zurich, said he had worked on a Flugeschiebe
      (German for flying disc--J.T.) project at Peenemunde in
      1942. The Nazi saucers were built by a team of three
      scientists--Schriever, Miethe and Belonzo--and the vehicle
      was given the code name V-7.
      On October 10, 1952, the Swedish newspaper
      Aftonbladet reported that a space rocket had been launched
      from an SS facility near Prague (now the capital of the
      Czech Republic--J.T.) in February 1945. The vehicle
      sounds suspiciously like an A-9/A-10. And the launch came
      about a month after Admiral Ingram's press conference in
      New York City.
      During the summer of 1943, the Peenemunde research
      center was siezed by Reichsfuehrer-SS Heinrich Himmler.
      German rocketry became a wholly-owned subsidiary of the
      SS. During a trip to Berlin on September 6, 1943, Gen.
      Dornberger met his new boss, 42-year-old SS-Brigadefuehrer
      Hans Kammler.
      "He had the slim figure of a cavalryman, neither tall
      nor short," Dornberger wrote, "In his early forties,
      broad-shouldered and narrow in the hips, with bronzed,
      clear-cut features, and a high forehead under dark hair
      slightly streaked with gray and brushed straight back, Dr.
      Kammler had piercing and restless brown eyes, a lean
      curved beak of a nose, and a strong mouth, the underlip
      thrust forward as though in defiance. That mouth
      indicated brutality, derision, disdain and overweening
      pride. The chin was well-molded and prominent."
      "One's first impression was of a virile, handsome and
      captivating personality. He looked like some hero of the
      Renaissance, a condotierre of the period of the civil wars
      in northern Italy."
      Kammler was Himmler's most trusted aide. He had a
      reputation of being the man who could get things done. In
      1942, for example, Kammler, an architect by trade, had
      personally designed and supervised the construction of the
      giant Vernichtungenslager (German for destruction camp--
      J.T.) called Auschwitz II, with its capacity for 200,000
      prisoners, at Birkenau in southern Poland.
      Now Himmler had new work for him. The Reichsfuehrer-
      SS wanted an underground factory "completely impervious to
      Allied bombs" that would build all of the contraptions in
      the Peenemunde gang's "blue sky" blueprints. It is not
      known if Hitler approved of this or not--it's part of what
      Colonel-General Erich von Manstein once called "the
      hermetically-sealed SS-Reich"--but Himmler was determined
      to build a workable spacecraft.
      Himmler "urged Pohl to build factories for the
      production of war materials in natural caves and
      underground tunnels immune to enemy bombing and instructed
      him to hollow out workshop and factory space in all SS
      stone quarries, suggesting that by the summer of 1944 they
      should have the 'new cavemen' installed in the greatest
      number of 'uniquely bomb-proof work
      sites'...Brigadefuehrer Hans Kammler succeeded in creating
      underground workshops and living quarters from a cave
      system in the Hartz mountains in central Germany in what
      (Albert) Speer, writing to congratulate him, called 'an
      almost impossibly short period of two months' a feat, he
      continued, 'unsurpassable even by American standards.'"
      With Kammler at the helm, production of V-1 and V-2
      weapons went into high gear. In his book V-1, V-2:
      Hitler's Vengeance on London, David Johnson noted that
      "During the (V-1) Flying Bomb assault, from mid-June to
      early September 1944, 2,419 of the pilotless aircraft
      crash-dived into London. Rail and transportation networks
      were seriously disrupted. War production fell off."
      "Between 8th September 1944 and 27th March 1945, 517
      V-2 rockets struck London, with another 378 falling short
      of their target and impacting in Essex. Throughout
      southern England, a grand total of 1,054 came down. In
      London alone over 2,700 civilians were dead from the
      On March 27, 1945, "the last V-2 to hit Britain came
      down on Orpington, Kent, about 20 miles (32 kilometers)
      south-east of London."
      "On the night of 17 December (1944) a V-2 crashed
      into the Rex cinema in Antwerp (Belgium) during a crowded
      show. When Hitler was informed that 1,100 people,
      including 700 (Allied) soldiers had been killed, by a
      characteristic irony he was reluctant to credit the
      report. 'That would finally be the first successful
      launch,' he observed sarcastically, 'But it is so
      fairytale that my scepticism keeps me from believing it.
      Who is the informer? Is he paid by the launch crew?'"
      But if Hitler had little faith in the V-2, the same
      cannot be said of Himmler and Kammler. Himmler gave his
      aide everything he needed to keep the rocket program
      "Kammler still believed that he alone, with his Army
      Corps and the weapons over which he had absolute
      authority, could prevent the imminent collapse, postpone a
      decision and even turn the scales. The (V-2) transports
      still moved without respite to the operational area" in
      the Netherlands, Dornberger wrote. "Convoys of motor
      vehicles bridged the gaps in the railrways. Kammler's
      supply columns, equipped with infrared devices that
      enabled them to see in the dark, rumbled along the Dutch
      Himmler's interest in spaceflight grew out of his
      personal commitment to the occult. When he had been
      appointed leader of the Schutzstaffel (German for
      Protection Squad--J.T.) in 1929, the group had been a
      small unit within the larger Sturmabteilung or Brownshirt
      militia, a kind of Secret Service devoted to the
      protection of Hitler and the Nazi leadership. By 1945,
      however, Himmler had transformed the SS into "a state
      within a state." Under his direction, the SS had become
      the Schwarze Sonne (German for Black Sun--J.T.), an order
      of mystics that numbered in the low millions.
      In his book Hitler's Flying Saucers, author Henry
      Stevens pointed out, "The Black Sun to these initiated
      individuals was a physical body like our visible sun
      except that the Black Sun was not visible to the naked
      eye...The Black Sun is sometimes represented symbolically
      as a black sphere out of which eight arms extend. Such is
      its most famous rendition on the mosaic floor at
      Wewelsburg Castle which served as the spiritual home of
      the SS."
      Himmler's "scientists were influenced by some ideas
      originating in Asia. Tibet and India are the suspects in
      question. UFOs have been reported over Mongolia, Tibet
      and India for centuries. The ancient Indians even claimed
      to have constructed aircraft which resembled flying
      saucers. These saucers are called Vimanas."
      Since his days in the mystical group Artamen in the
      early 1920s, Himmler had been fascinated with the
      scriptures of ancient India. As a reader of the Rig-Veda
      and the Mahabharata, he would have been familiar with the
      tales of rishis (Hindu wizards--J.T.) visiting other
      worlds in outer space. So perhaps it's no surprise that
      he sent "the German SS-Ahnenerbe, an organization whose
      purpose was associated with researching German ancestry,
      out (on) expeditions to the East with the express purpose
      of acquiring ancient, hidden knowledge."
      Kammler transferred Gen. Dornberger and Werner von
      Braun into the Wasserfall anti-aircraft rocket program in
      late 1944. Meanwhile, work continued on the Schriever-
      Meithe V-7 flying disc. With help from another mystical
      group, the Thule Gesellschaft, the project developed a
      craft called the Haunebu-1. This saucer "had a 25-meter
      diameter, a speed of 4,800 kilometers per hour (3,000
      miles per hour) and carried a crew of nine men."
      In November 1943, a second saucer, the Haunebu-2, was
      built, "slightly larger and could travel 6,000 kilometers
      per hour (3,600 miles per hour) for fifty-five hours."
      A year later, in early December 1944, Gruppe Kammler
      unveiled its showpiece, the Haunebu-3, which "had a
      diameter of 71 meters (234 feet), and could reach a speed
      of 40,000 kilometers per hour (25,000 miles per hour)" and
      remain in space "for up to eight weeks, carrying a crew of
      32 men."
      Unaware of the progress of the Schriever-Miethe team,
      Gen. Dornberger proposed to suspend work on the A-9/A-10
      "New York Rocket." The order was immediately
      countermanded. "But now, at the end of 1944, Kammler
      demanded its resumption," the general wrote, "I had no
      idea why."
      In retrospect, it appears that either Himmler or
      Kammler--it is not at all clear who--planned to use the A-
      9/A-10 as a booster to get the Haunebu-3, now referred to
      as the Ostara (ancient German goddess of the dawn--J.T.),
      into orbit rather than have the big saucer make the trip
      under its own power.
      "On January 8, 1945, the first version of the A-
      9...took off. The control failed about 30 meters (100
      feet) above the firing table (launch pad)," Dornberger
      wrote, "A few days later, we were unable to launch another
      missile because the alcohol tank had developed a leak. At
      last, on January 24 (1945), we had our first success. The
      rocket, climbing vertically, reached a peak height of
      nearly 80 kilometers (50 miles) at a maximum speed of
      4,300 kilometers per hour (2,700 miles per hour)."
      (Editor's Comment: I think this may have been the rocket
      in the wartime photo that appeared on the back cover of
      Ballantine's book.)
      All that needed to be done now was to strap two or
      three A-9/A-10 boosters together, with the Ostara as
      payload, and launch from Himmler's new SS base near
      The same day the A-9/A-10 had its successful launch,
      January 24, 1945, Soviet troops of Marshal Ivan Konev's
      First Ukrainian Front (army group--J.T.) entered
      Auschwitz. Russian soldiers saw for themselves the
      results of Kammler's earlier "big project."
      "On April 3, 1945, I had orders from Kammler to
      evacuate my staff of four hundred and fifty old Peenemunde
      hands to the Lower Alps near Oberammergau. We moved on
      April 6, as the American tanks advanced through
      Bleicherode toward Bad Sachsa," Dornberger wrote, "I
      parted from Kammler and spent the last month of the war at
      Oberjoch near Hindelang with my staff and Professor von
      Braun, who had been injured in an automobile accident."
      So, on April 7, 1945, Hans Kammler, the architect of
      Auschwitz-Birkenau, pulled a disappearing act worthy of
      Houdini. "There are five different versions of his
      death," Henry Stevens wrote, "And they all read like pulp
      Did Kammler head for outer space aboard the Ostara?
      Or did he leave on an even larger spacecraft, the
      Andromeda? Only one person knows the answer to that
      question, and he committed suicide with a cyanide pill on
      May 23, 1945--Heinrich Himmler.
      But if anybody had a really, really pressing need to
      leave Earth in April 1945 it was SS-Brigadefuehrer Hans
      Kammler. (See the books V2--Der Schuss ins Weltall by
      Walter Dornberger, Bechtle Vertag, Esslingen, Germany,
      1952, pages 128, 129, 130, 131, 176, 177, 219 and 235;
      Hitler's Undercover War by William Breuer, St. Martin's
      Press, New York, N.Y., 1989, pages 317, 318 and 319; V-1,
      V-2, Hitler's Vengeance on London by David Johnson, Stein
      & Day Publishers, Briarcliff Manor, N.Y., 1981, pages 193,
      194 and 195; Flying Saucers Uncensored by Harold T.
      Wilkins, The Citadel Press, New York, N.Y., 1955, pages
      252 and 253; Himmler by Peter Padfield, MJF Books, New
      York, N.Y., 1990, pages 389, 464, 481, 482 and 611;
      Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-1945 by Max
      Hastings, Alfred A. Knopf, 2004, pages 171, 172, 248 and
      492; Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the
      Politics of Identity by Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke, New York
      University Press, New York, N.Y., 2002, pages 166, 167 and
      168; and Hitler's Flying Saucers by Henry Stevens,
      Adventures Unlimited Press, Kempton, Illinois, 2003, pages
      86, 87, 89, 90, 95, 158, 160, 161, 225, 264 and 265.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for
      more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth--and occasionally, Titan--brought to you by
      "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.