UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 3

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 10, Number 3
      January 19, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      HUYGENS MAKES SAFE
      LANDING ON TITAN

      "A European spacecraft Friday," January 14, 2005,
      "sent back the first detailed pictures of the frozen
      surface of Saturn's largest moon, Titan, showing stunning
      black-and-white images of what appeared to be hilly
      terrain riddled with channels or riverbeds carved by a
      liquid."
      "One picture, taken about 10 miles (16 kilometers)
      above the surface as the Huygens spacecraft descended by
      parachute to a safe landing after a seven-year voyage from
      Earth, showed snaking dark lines cut into the light-
      colored surface."
      "'Clearly there is liquid matter flowing on the
      surface of Titan,' said scientist Marty Tomasko of the
      Lunar and Planetary Laboratory at the University of
      Arizona in Tucson, which made the probe's camera."
      "'It almost looks like a river delta,' he said, 'It
      could be liquid methane or hydrocarbons that settled out
      of the haze' that envelops Titan."
      "Another image, taken about 5 miles (8 kilometers)
      above the surface, showed light and dark masses, which
      Tomasko said seemed to be shadows, indicating a varied
      terrain. The dark areas appeared to be flooded or to have
      been so at an earlier time."
      "A third image taken at the surface showed several
      large white chunks--boulders or blocks of water ice--in
      the foreground and a stretch of gray surface behind them."
      "'There aren't too many planets with liquid,' Tomasko
      said, 'There's Earth, and now there's Titan.'"
      "'We clearly have a success,' said Dr. Jean-Jacques
      Dordain, director-general of the European Space Agency
      (ESA), 'This is a fantastic success for Europe."
      "Titan is the first moon other than Earth's to be
      explored." With a diameter of 3,190 miles, Titan is
      slightly larger than the planet Mercury. Titan's surface
      temperature is 292 degrees below zero on the Fahrenheit
      scale. Titan is about 1.3 billion miles (1.9 billion
      kilometers) from Earth.
      "Huygens was spun off from the Cassini mother ship on
      (Friday) December 24 (2004) before its descent to the
      surface of Titan."
      "Scientists say they received more than three hours
      of data from Huygens ' descent and more than 10 minutes of
      data to the surface. Applause erupted at Mission Control
      in Darmstadt (Germany) at news of the data transmission."
      Huygens entered Titan's thick atmosphere at an
      altitude of about 250 miles (400 kilometers). It then
      dropped through the Haze Zone, between 186 and 62 miles
      (297 to 99 kilometers) and then through rain until it
      reached the surface.
      "The heart of the mission was the probe's two-and-a-
      half hour parachute descent, taking pictures and sampling
      the atmosphere before landing on Titan."
      "Early signals confirmed the probe had powered up for
      entry and deployed the parachute, and officials were
      confident it made a safe landing because Huygens was
      designed to go on transmitting from the surface for at
      least three minutes before its batteries died--a total
      transmission of less than three hours. But the signals
      kept coming for more than five hours."
      "The Cassini-Huygens mission was launched October 15,
      1997 from Cape Canaveral, Florida. Mission officials--who
      have waited since 1997 for Huygens to reach its
      destination--had tears in their eyes as the first signal
      was picked up, indicating the probe was transmitting to
      the Cassini mother ship."
      The probe was named after Christiaan Huygens, a
      Netherlands astronomer who discovered Titan while
      exploring the rings of Saturn by telescope during the
      Seventeenth Century. (See the Minneapolis Star-Tribune
      for January 15, 2005, "Images from Titan amaze," page 1A,
      and "Channels can be seen in frozen surface," page 4A.)

      FIREBALL AND SKY BOOM
      FRIGHTEN MANY IN INDIA

      "Villages in India are in a state of shock and local
      officials are baffled after a fireball was seen crashing
      to Earth Tuesday night (January 11, 2005), causing a
      massive explosion."
      "'I saw a large ball of fire in the air,' a farmhouse
      caretaker told the (newspaper) Mumbai Mid-Day. 'It
      arrived from the east so fast that, before I could do
      anything, my house shook and all my utensils came crashing
      down.'"
      "More than half a dozen villages near Khopoli, Uran
      and Panvel felt the impact."
      "Locals ran outside of their homes and remained
      outside for fear of roofs collapsing."
      "'The noise was so loud. For a moment, I thought I
      had turned deaf. It was almost like a huge bomb blast,'
      said resident R. Chaitanya."
      "More than 80 calls about the event flooded the
      regional police headquarters in Navi Mumbai."
      Immediately after the sky boom, "a tornado-like
      effect was also detected in the jungled districts of
      Bazruddin, Wavochi and Karochi, which saw trees uprooted."
      "Air traffic control officers say all planes have
      been accounted for, and the Mumbai Meteorological
      Department ruled out any aerolite or meteorite event."
      "Officer D.D. Bharsat in the village of Bharapada
      told the Mid-Day he saw fire and smoke" in the sky "and
      the impact sent leaves and other small articles from the
      ground hurtling into the air."
      "But police still haven't reportedly found the area
      where the blast occurred."
      "'Our men are travelling from village to village to
      find the exact spot of the unidentified explosion,'
      Superintendent Dyaneshwar Phadtare of the Rhigad police
      said. 'Many heard the explosion but nobody has been able
      to pinpoint the spot.'" (See the Indian newspaper Mumbai
      Mid-Day for January 12, 2005. Many thanks to Krishnari
      Bai Dharapurnanda for forwarding this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Welcome to Earth Gets Clobbered Week
      here at UFO Roundup. Fireballs and sky booms were seen
      all over our planet last week If this was the January
      meteor shower, it's ten days ahead of schedule. Read
      on...)

      FIREBALL SEEN BY HUNDREDS
      NEAR TUCUMAN, ARGENTINA

      "A strange apparition appeared in the sky on Tuesday
      night," January 11, 2005, "in Tucuman province, Argentina.
      It surprised many Tucumanos and people in different towns
      of the province. No one is certain what occurred, but the
      experts believe that it might have been a meteorite."
      "'It was a ball of fire that crossed the sky from
      north to south. As it passed over, it lit up the entire
      sky like a white star. It then disappeared to the
      southeast,' explained Rene Arganaraz, who was with his
      companion Ricardo Baunaly at their house in Tafi Viejo," 8
      kilometers (5 miles) northwest of San Miguel de Tucuman,
      the provincial capital, "at 11:30 p.m."
      "'There was a strong explosion,' the two men agreed."
      Argentina's "Civil Defense reported, 'People
      described an impressive luminosity in the sky, followed by
      an explosion and a shaking of the earth.'"
      "Many of the witnesses were from Leales and Cruz
      Alta," 20 kilometers (12 miles) southwest of San Miguel de
      Tucuman, "who said they observed a blue or green light.
      Other witnesses in Termas de Rio Hondo claim to have seen
      something similar to 'a shower of stars.'"
      "'It was definitely a meteor. They observed an
      enormous star of white light, very brilliant, late Tuesday
      evening. The meteor must have disintegrated in the upper
      atmosphere,' said an expert from the local university."
      (See the Peruvian newspaper El Comercio for January 12,
      2005. Muchas gracias a Monica Gaetano de Silva para esto
      articulo de diario.)

      FIREBALL SPOOKS CROWD
      IN ANTIGO, WISCONSIN

      "On Tuesday evening," January 11, 2004, "there was
      light where there should be none and noise where quiet
      should have reigned."
      "Antigo (population 8,560) and Langlade County were
      apparently in the path of a meteor that brought reports of
      strange happenings from South Dakota to central Wisconsin.
      Motorists who were traversing the area reported the bright
      light in the sky about 6:15 p.m., and there were sounds
      that had people answering unknocked doors and peering into
      yards to determine who or what was lurking outside their
      homes."
      "The calls to local law enforcement started at about
      6:12 p.m. with reports that a meteor had gone down in the
      Neva area and near the Langlade-Lincoln County line. But
      as far as anyone knows, there is no evidence that the
      meteor came to Earth."
      "Many people heard the noise and saw the light;
      houses rattled as the meteor passed."
      "Area law enforcement agencies contacted the Federal
      Aviation Administration (FAA) at the" Minneapolis-St. Paul
      International Airport "to determine what was going on, and
      the tower personnel said they had taken reports from an
      aircraft flying at 31,000 feet south of Eau Claire
      (Wisconsin) and another from a pilot outside of Sioux
      Falls, South Dakota. Both reported bright flashes of
      light in the sky."
      "The Langlade County Sheriff's Department, in a
      report entitled 'X-File Info,' noted that loggers working
      in the area of the Taylor-Lincoln County line had reported
      seeing the glow of a fire in the woods, but were unable to
      find the source of the light."
      Antigo, Wis. is on Highway 45, just west of the
      Menominee Indian Reservation, about 40 miles (64
      kilometers) northeast of Wausau. (See the Antigo, Wis.
      Daily Journal for January 12, 2005, "Meteor soars over
      area with light and noise." Many thanks to Mary Lou
      Jones-Drown for forwarding this newspaper article.)

      ANOMALOUS TSUNAMI HITS
      BEACH IN ARGENTINA

      "The rumor was a sea of consternation--did a tsunami
      take place on Argentina's (South) Atlantic coast?"
      "While it is not possible to say for sure, many
      families camped in the public houses at the Sauce Grande
      de Monte Hermoso beach," near Bahia Blanca in southern
      Argentina, "went through a strange and perilous episode
      that included between two and four large waves that
      flooded the area."
      "The inundations took place Sunday evening," January
      9, 2005, "and caused panic, fear and a return of the
      indescribable incidents that recalled the
      images seen 20 days earlier in Southeast Asia."
      "According to several witnesses," the event happened
      "at 2:30 a.m., when between two and four waves broke on
      the beach, reaching the trees behind" the campers' tents,
      vans and beach shacks.
      "Items located outdoors were dragged off by the sea.
      People who were also there and full of desperation said
      the water reached a height of 40 to 50 centimeters."
      "'My husband and I were asleep. We felt the wind and
      went outside to tie the rope more firmly. I looked out
      the window, and suddenly I saw a wave that was rushing
      towards us and not stopping and which finally went under
      our mobile home,' said Mendoza resident Mercedes de
      Casari. 'Suddenly, I didn't see my husband any more.
      He'd run off and jumped on top of the house. What a
      fright!'"
      "Elvira Cachiarelli, a native of Bahia Blanca, went
      through a similar situation. She visits this location
      every year to spend a few days at the beach. 'I was
      asleep and neighbors pounded on the door. I wasn't aware
      of the problem because my mobile home is very heavy and
      doesn't move, but these were people who went through some
      harrowing experiences because the wind was very strong.
      Everything was flying around, and there could've been an
      accident. This is the first time it's happened. The tide
      has come in from the southeast many times, but this wasn't
      a 'southeaster'...these were waves!"
      (Editor's Note: A 'southeaster' in Argentina is like a
      'nor'easter' in the USA's New England states.)
      "Elvira noticed that the water went two or three
      meters beyond the lot in which the campers were located
      and almost reached the trees. 'The tide was 30 meters
      (100 feet) away. We were told that it appeared to be a
      'backwash' from the (Indian Ocean) tsunami (of December
      26, 2004). Twelve hours earlier, it happened in Brazil.'"
      "Liliana Elizate de Vazzano, from Olavarria, had to
      help her husband Raul get their camper out of the wet sand
      in which it was buried. 'I was awake. The water rushed
      in suddenly, and by the second wave, it was knee-deep. I
      looked at the camper and saw that there were inches to go
      before the water poured in. We didn't know what would
      happen, and we started to dig wells to take out the
      wheels. I think God helped us get out.'"
      "'The time was around 2:30 a.m., and we could hear
      screams due to the waves that came out of the sea and
      almost reached the trees,' said David Dieguez, 'By the
      time we reacted, the water had swept away all of the items
      left outdoors. There were some ladies who became very
      scared, and families with children, as well.'"
      "'The sea was 30 meters (100 feet) away, and suddenly
      a wave came all the way to the top'" of the beach. "'Then
      came another that brought the water level right up to our
      houses. It lasted five seconds or less. The cars and
      campers were buried and stuck,' he said." (See the
      Argentinian newspaper La Nueva Provincia for January 11,
      2005, "A tsunami at Sauce Grande beach?" Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y Christian Quintero para esto articulo de
      diario.)

      PARANOIA MAGAZINE STORY
      PREDICTED ASIAN TSUNAMI

      An article in the magazine Paranoia: The Conspiracy
      Reader predicted the massive tsunami in the Indian Ocean,
      which took place on Sunday, December 26, 2004.
      The Winter 2005 issue (Volume 11, Number 2, Issue 37)
      went on newstands here in the USA on Friday, December 31,
      2004. Contained within the issue is an article entitled
      "The Beginning of the End: Vulcan & Earth Catastrophism,"
      which postulates that a dark companion star to our sun may
      cause catastrophes in the not-too-distant future.
      Page 31 of the magazine states, "A second source of
      impending comet strike data has been found in a new and
      unusual interpretation of the Hebrew Pentateuch called the
      'Bible Code.' Here, all the Hebrew letters in a book of
      the Bible are strung without word or page breaks and
      rastered in 64 columns. A computer is used to search for
      words in a horizontal, vertical or diagonal format. Skip
      sequence words are searched (every other row or column is
      skipped) and viable words are found."
      "Even the name given to the Sun's dark star companion
      (Vulcan) is specifically mentioned in the Bible Code."
      Here is the second paragraph of Bible Code prophecies
      as it appeared on page 31 of Paranoia magazine.
      "Tsunami - Vulcan - planet/star - India - Indian
      (Ocean?--J.T.) - Athens - Greece - tsunami -stony -
      flaming - gigantic - flame - obliterate - flabbergasted -
      leviathan - oblivion - overwhelming impact."
      "I picked up this issue of Paranoia on Tuesday
      morning, January 11, 2005," UFO Roundup editor Joseph
      Trainor reported, "As soon as I read that passage, I knew
      I had a story. I talked to the staff at Barnes & Noble at
      Miller Hill Mall here in Duluth, and they told me they had
      received the issue the previous Friday."
      "I wanted to know precisely when that issue of
      Paranoia had gone to press, so I contacted the magazine's
      editor, Joan d'Arc, via email and asked for more
      information. Joan told me that this particular issue had
      gone to press November 9, 2004. She said the staff at
      Banta, their printer in Greenfield, Ohio, wanted to get
      the issue printed before Thanksgiving so that their
      employees could have a long weekend off. Copies of this
      issue were shipped out of Ohio on Monday, November 29,
      2004, four weeks before the tsunami. So there is no way
      that passage could have been added to the magazine after
      the big Banda Aceh earthquake, 9.0 on the Richter scale,
      and the resultant tsunami."
      "It appears that the Bible Code passage, printed in
      Paranoia, accurately predicted the Indian Ocean tsunami,"
      Trainor added, "There is no other explanation for this
      event."
      "If the Bible Code passage is accurate throughout,
      then it looks like the next big tsunami will take place in
      the Mediterranean Sea. Greece will be hard hit by the
      giant waves, particularly Athens, the capital city." (See
      Paranoia magazine, Winter 2005 issue, page 31. Many
      thanks to Joan d'Arc for the email interview.)

      UFO STARTLES THOUSANDS
      AT MEXICO CITY STADIUM

      On Sunday afternoon, January 9, 2004, thousands of
      Mexicans filled the seats of the city's Plaza de Toros to
      watch the Temorada Grande bullfights. During the tenth
      fight of the afternoon, someone noticed a bright object in
      the sky, and soon all necks were craned upwards, including
      those of bullfighters Jose Luis Angelino of Tlaxcaltec and
      Humberto Flores of Jalisco.
      "The object, which appeared to be a silver globe, was
      captured by TV cameras for a moment while hovering in the
      air above the Plaza," Mexican ufologist Ana Luisa Cid
      Fernandez reported. "The object then darted away and
      disappeared over the horizon."
      "Images of this flying saucer were shown" Sunday
      evening "on the program La Jugada on Canal (Channel) 2
      Television de Mexico at 10:30 p.m. The object was seen by
      thousands at the Plaza de Toros." (See the Mexican
      newspaper El Universal of January 10, 2004. Muchas
      gracias a Ana Luisa Cid Fernandez para esto articulo de
      diario.)

      HILLSIDE VANISHES AFTER
      UFO EVENT IN SONORA

      "More than half of a hill located on the coast near
      Hermosillo" in Mexico's state of Sonora "apparently
      'vanished.'"
      "The event was classified by Sonoran scientists as
      'strange and surprising.'"
      "According to a series of images taken by (the
      Mexican newspaper) El Imparcial, a hill belonging to the
      Sierra de Cirios near Puerto Libertad ceased to exist in a
      matter of hours."
      "At 8:54 a.m. yesterday (Friday, January 7, 2005), a
      reporter and a photographer from the newsroom saw what
      they took to be a UFO as they drove along Ruta 36 Norte
      (Route 36 North--J.T.) along the (Golfo de California)
      coastline. After the sighting, there arrived a strange
      phenomenon in which really fantastic clouds" obscured
      their view.
      "At 2:05 p.m., as shown by photos taken by the pair,
      a considerable part of the hill had disappeared."
      Studying a photo they shot at 9:02 a.m., the
      witnesses reported, 'Matter begins to fall from the object
      before it lands on the hilltop. This is one of 12 images
      I recorded of the changes before 9:07 a.m. The change of
      elevation of the hill on the right can be seen, and the
      formations on the left have changed shape." (See the
      Mexican newspaper El Imparcial for January 8, 2005.
      Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Marco Reynoso para esto
      articulo de diario.)

      ANOTHER UFO SIGHTED IN
      EASTERN MEXICO

      "The sighting of an aerolite or Unidentified Flying
      Object (UFO) over La Antigua," a city in Mexico's state of
      Veracruz, "caused much expectation and uncertainty among
      local residents. The object fell at sunset, leaving a
      luminous wake."
      "According to preliminary reports collected by
      Notivel, around 6 p.m. yesterday (Thursday, January 6,
      2004) several persons witnessed the event, which could be
      seen unaided. At the barracks of the Public Safety Office
      at Ciudad Carol, duty personnel received dozens of phone
      calls from people who believed it was an aircraft in
      flames, falling to the ground."
      "Others believed that the object was meteorite-
      shaped, since it left a wake as it fell to Earth."
      "A bright light was seen as it fell in the vicinity
      of La Antigua."
      "Personnel of the Public Safety Office, aboard their
      vehicle, surveyed the region, but as of yesterday no
      reports of any aerial or terrestrial accidents had been
      received, nor a possible explanation" of the event.
      "However, the sighting was a cause for alarm, as the
      light appeared to descend out of a point in space, only to
      fall somewhere on Earth." (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y Marco Reynoso para estas noticias.)

      SPHERICAL UFO SEEN AT
      ANOTHER BEACH IN CHILE

      On Saturday, December 18, 2004, "at around 8:30 p.m.,
      Alejandra Bauerle was spending time on the beach at Cau-
      Cau, near Horcon" in Chile. "Upon looking at the sky and
      the lovely sunset, she became aware of some strange lights
      crossing the firmament. At first she believed they could
      be aircraft, but after analyzing the contrails left in the
      skies and the object's sudden and irregular movements, she
      dismissed the possibility altogether."
      "'It started out like a dot, perfectly round,'" Sra.
      Bauerle reported, "'And it became fuzzy, first as a
      vertical line and then as it moved toward the left. We
      thought it could be a commercial aircraft flying low, but
      it was too large to be the trail (contrail) of an
      airplane. We looked at it through binoculars and could
      see only the light.'"
      "It is not known if the light and the object were
      present or if it was only the impressions that they left.
      In fact, the object could barely be seen, only the
      tremendous light that became longer and changed course."
      (See the OVNI Chile report for December 31, 2004. Muchas
      gracias a Scott Corrales y Guillermo Gimenez para estas
      noticias.)

      MAN PHOTOGRAPHS A UFO
      IN SANTA ROSA, ARGENTINA

      "On Saturday, December 18, 2004, at 3:45 p.m., a
      rural contractor managed to photograph a strange flying
      object in a field near Santa Rosa," a city in Argentina's
      La Pampa province.
      "Roberto Maggio was taking snapshots of the various
      (farm) machines working on tasks related to harvesting
      without even being aware of the UFO's presence."
      "That night, upon downloading the digital photos from
      the camera to his personal computer, he was startled to
      detect an object that showed a blurry outline. On its top
      and bottom, however, the object was much sharper,
      presenting a darker central area. Maggio was also able to
      detect a small blurry dot on an earlier photo but
      appearing with a better perspective in the next shot."
      "The witness claims not having natural objects which
      could have led to misinterpretation moving in front of the
      lens prior to taking the photographs."
      Santa Rosa is in eastern La Pampa province, located
      about 350 kilometers (210 miles) southwest of Buenos
      Aires, the national capital. (See the Argentinian
      newspaper La Arena for January 8, 2005. Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y Raul Oscar Chavez para esto articulo de
      diario.)

      SILVER SPHERE UFO SEEN
      IN O'CONNOR, AUSTRALIA

      On Sunday, December 19, 2004, at 3 p.m., Alex Burns
      reported, "I went outside to have a cigarette" in
      O'Connor, in the Australian Capital Territory (A.C.T.)
      near Canberra. "I was looking at the moon, which was at
      the time situated to the northeast of the city at 45
      degrees in the sky. The sky was mostly cloud free, and
      there were no clouds near the object."
      "From behind a tree, a small spherical object became
      visible, moving in a straight line horizontally in what
      appeared to be a northerly direction about five degrees
      under the position of the moon (40 degrees above the
      horizon--J.T.) The object periodically flashed due to
      what I thought was a combination of rotation and the
      reflection of the sun."
      "I can't accurately estimate the height (altitude in
      the USA--J.T.) of the object. However, it was about the
      size of the radius of a cigarette filter at arm's length.
      The object appeared to jitter, moving up and down a few
      times, probably at a distance of about a hand's width,
      while still travelling
      forward at the same speed."
      "It then shot upwards at a 45-degree trajectory,
      without slowing or curving whatsoever. It was then that I
      called out to my housemate to come quickly and see what
      was in the air. The object then moved downwards in a
      large arc and vanished."
      "I knew for a fact it was not an airplane, a meteor,
      a satellite, a weather balloon or anything I have seen
      before. I am very excited by what I have seen, and I
      didn't feel afraid or have any negative emotions about it.
      Obviously, I don't know whether it was an alien craft.
      Maybe someone else saw something similar in the sky? It
      appeared to be spherical, metallic in colour, although I
      was quite far away." (Email Form Report)

      LUMINOUS ORANGE UFO
      SIGHTED IN TASMANIA

      On Sunday, January 2, 2005, at 1:30 a.m., M. Davy was
      driving home in Launceston, a city on Australia's island-
      state of Tasmania when she saw a strange glow in the dark
      sky.
      "Driving home, I saw it hovering in the northeastern
      sky," she reported, "It was a massive orange thing in the
      sky. As I travelled further along the road, it never
      seemed to move. It simply hovered in the sky. But I
      didn't seem to be close to it. It was orange, not really
      bright, with a round center, almost like a disc."
      "It didn't look like it was travelling anywhere but
      just appeared in the same spot. I would say it was about
      45 degrees above the horizon." (Email Form Report)

      UFO FLOTILLA SPOTTED IN
      SAND SPRINGS, OKLAHOMA

      On Tuesday, January 11, 1005, at 8:15 p.m., Cheryl S.
      was outdoors at her home in Sand Springs, Oklahoma
      (population 17,451) when she saw strange lights
      approaching from the southwest.
      "I saw six bubble-shaped lights," she reported, "They
      appeared to be doing a movement in the sky. I called it
      'dancing.' Four would be in a circle, and two outside the
      four. The lights reminded me of those spook lights down
      in Marfa, Texas (a long-running Fortean phenomenon located
      229 miles southeast of El Paso--J.T.) They also lit up
      our backyard and our patio."
      She described the objects as "clear, round, no light
      trail following it when it moved back and forth across the
      sky. Approximate distance of an airplane flying overhead,
      but it was faster than any airplane. I called Channel 8
      TV to report it. They said they had other reports of
      these lights."
      Sand Springs is in Sapulpa County, on Highway 412,
      approximately seven miles (11 kilometers) west of Tulsa.
      (Email Form Report)

      DID EARTH CHANGES CAUSE
      SUBMARINE ACCIDENT?

      "A sailor injured aboard a nuclear submarine that ran
      aground about 350 miles (580 kilometers) south of Guam
      died Sunday," January 9, 2005, the U.S. Navy said.
      "There were no reports of damage to the USS San
      Francisco's reactor plant, which was operating normally,
      the Navy said."
      "Twenty crewmembers were being treated for injuries.
      The ship was returning under its own power to its home
      port in Guam" on Monday, January 10, 2005, after being
      damaged Saturday," January 8, 2005.
      "Lieutenant (junior grade) Adam Clampitt of the
      Pacific Fleet said the sub had been conducting submerged
      operations and was headed to Australia on a port visit."
      "Sailors on the San Francisco, a nuclear-powered
      attack submarine, had just finished cleaning the vessel
      last Saturday as it sped along 500 feet (150 meters)
      beneath the surface of the South Pacific."
      "To the captain and other officers relaying on
      undersea navigation charts, everything seemed clear."
      "Suddenly, there was a horrible screeching. The
      submarine had crashed head-on into an undersea mountain
      that was not on the charts."
      "Now, Defense Department officials say they have
      found a satellite image taken in 1999 that indicates an
      undersea mountain rising to perhaps 100 feet (30 meters)
      below the surface at that spot."
      "But the older navigation charts provided to the Navy
      were never updated to show the obstruction, they
      acknowledge, in part because the defense agency that
      creates them has never had the resources to systematically
      use the satellite data."
      "The officials said the main chart on the submarine,
      prepared in 1989 and never revised, did not snow any
      potential obstacles within three miles (5 kilometers) of
      the crash, which killed one sailor and injured 60 others.
      They said the violent crash happened in such a desolate
      area--360 miles southeast of Guam--that updating their
      depiction of the undersea terrain was never considered a
      high priority."
      "A variety of satellite data is now showing that many
      sea charts, including some that still rely on notations
      from the days when sailors navigated by the stars, are
      inaccurate. And some scientists are calling for greater
      use of satellite data to more precisely fix the location
      of undersea ridges, islands and even continental
      boundaries and to chart large areas of the oceans about
      which little is known."
      "The latest disclosures support the account by the
      commanding officer of the San Francisco that the charts
      showed the track was clear. But former submarine captains
      said Navy investigators were likely to examine whether it
      was prudent for him to travel at such a high speed, 30
      knots, given the age and spottiness of the information."
      There is also the possibility that the ocean floor
      may have changed significantly between 1989 and 1999, UFO
      Roundup editor Joseph Trainor pointed out. "As a result
      of the recent Banda Aceh earthquake, which measured 9.0 on
      the Richter scale, a portion of the floor of the Straits
      of Malacca moved closer to the surface. Before December
      26, 2004, the sea floor in that area was at a depth of
      4,000 feet. Indonesian fishermen claimed last week that
      the depth is now only 100 feet."
      "The 'earth changes' predicted by Edgar Cayce in the
      1930s may be going on right now, on the sea floor, in
      places like Guam and Indonesia." (See USA Today for
      January 10, 2005, "Nuclear sub runs aground, one sailor
      dies," page 5A, and the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for
      January 15, 2005, "Outdated charts led to crash of U.S.
      sub," page 6A.)

      MORE WILD WEATHER
      SWEEPS THE USA

      Another massive storm system moved across the USA
      last week, causing devastation in several states,
      particularly California.
      "As many as 200 vehicles got stuck in the deep snow
      early Saturday," January 8, 2004, "in the San Bernardino
      Mountains as the latest in a series of storms struck
      California, and more heavy snow shut down" three major
      highways through the Sierra Nevada Mountains."
      "Snow piled up 3 to 4 feet (0.9 to 1.3 meters) deep
      along a 15-mile (25-kilometer) stretch of highway between
      the Snow Valley ski resort and Big Bear Dam, said Tracey
      Martinez, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino County Fire
      Department."
      "'People were panicking and calling 911 on their cell
      phones,' Martinez said, 'It's going to take us awhile to
      get all the folks out of there.'"
      "Some neighborhoods below California's San Bernardino
      Mountains recorded more than a half-inch of rain every
      hour, and homeowners rushed to pile sandbags."
      "Elsewhere in California, up to 4 feet of snow fell
      overnight in the Sierra Nevada around Lake Tahoe, ski
      areas reported Saturday. That came on top of as much as 4
      feet of snow dumped on parts of the area (Thursday)
      December 30 (2004)."
      "Interstate 80, which crosses the Sierra and links
      Sacramento, California (the state capital--J.T.) to the
      Reno-Tahoe, Nevada area was closed for 13 hours until
      Saturday morning. Two other major Sierra highways--U.S.
      50 over Echo Summit and Highway 88 over Carson Pass--
      remained closed Saturday."
      The same Saturday, "along the Ohio River, hundreds of
      Ohio and West Virginia residents had evacuated their homes
      and stacked sandbags."
      "The (Ohio) river was nearly 4 feet above flood stage
      and still rising Saturday morning at Point Pleasant, West
      Virginia (home of Mothman--J.T.) and was about 7 feet (2.1
      meters) above flood at Marietta, Ohio. Water was 2 to 4
      feet (0.6 to 1.3 meters) deep in the streets of downtown
      Marietta, closing businesses."
      "Pacific storms thrashed California with heavy rain
      and snow for a third straight day Sunday," January 9,
      2005.
      "In the Los Angeles area, the latest storms in an
      unusually wet Southern California winter caused flooding,
      mudslides and at least seven deaths over the weekend."
      "In Elysian Park, near (L.A.'s) Dodger Stadium, a
      hillside gave way Sunday and buried a 43-year-old homeless
      man who had pitched his tent there. Another homeless man
      was injured in the mudslide."
      "On the Pacific Coast highway in Malibu, a car
      skidded in the rain and mud early Sunday, hit a telephone
      pole and careened into the surf. The driver was killed
      and four passengers were injured."
      "A two-story home on a rain-saturated hillside
      collapsed Sunday in Studio City, a San Fernando Valley
      neighborhood in Los Angeles. Rescuers pulled a man and
      his two children from the rubble. They had minor
      injuries."
      "Two people died in a crash on a rain-slicked Los
      Angeles freeway, and a 4-year-old girl died when her
      father skidded off a road in Chula Vista," a suburb of San
      Diego. "A man was washed to his death in a creek in
      Ventura County northwest of Los Angeles."
      "The train of storms that have slammed into
      California also spread rain, snow and ice eastward across
      the nation."
      "Avalanches killed two people in Utah and one in
      Nevada."
      In Colorado, "the storms have piled up 10 feet (3
      meters) of snow in the Rockies, where three skiers on a
      family outing were reported missing on Monday," January
      10, 2005.
      "Four snowmobilers were stranded overnight near
      Steamboat Springs, Colorado after they got stuck. None
      was injured, but they considered themselves lucky to get
      out alive. Jesse Goble and his brother-in-law, J.R.
      Osborne, started a fire with a stick they saturated in
      gasoline and lit from a spark plug on one of their
      machines. They spent the night cutting up a dead tree to
      feed the flames, sharing a single water bottle filled with
      melted snow and four Snickers bars."
      "Relentless Pacific storms lashed the (USA's) West
      Coast again on Monday," January 10, 2005, "causing a giant
      mudslide in California and burying mountain passes in some
      of the deepest snowfall in 90 years."
      "The storms, fed by the 'Pineapple Express' moisture
      flowing in from the tropical Pacific near Hawaii are
      blamed for at least 10 deaths in California and one in
      Nevada."
      "Two tornadoes, rare but not unheard of in Southern
      California, were reported Sunday night," January 9, 2005,
      "near Riverside and Monday," January 10, 2005, "in Ventura
      County."
      "In La Conchita, a tiny town 70 miles (112
      kilometers) northwest of Los Angeles, at least two people
      were confirmed dead and as many as 12 were unaccounted for
      after a mudslide pummeled a four-block area."
      "Hundreds of residents and motorists were stranded in
      the incident. As many as 20 homes were damaged when the
      hillside cascaded down like a river. Trees and vegetation
      were carried away, leaving huge gashes of raw earth on the
      bluff. Some residents made their way from the area,
      clutching pets, luggage or clothing as the huge mass of
      mud bore down."
      Authorities finally evacuated the town. Gov. Arnold
      Schwarzenegger declared La Conchita a disaster area.
      "Downtown Los Angeles, which averages 15 inches (37
      centimeters) of rain each winter, had 21 inches (52
      centimeters) as of Monday," January 10, 2005.
      A 25-foot (8-meter) tall boulder "crashed down onto
      Topanga Canyon Road on Sunday," completely blocking the
      thoroughfare. "Crews used explosives Tuesday afternoon,"
      January 11, 2005, "to blow up" the boulder.
      "More snow fell in the Sierra Nevada, where schools
      closed again in Reno (Nevada) and roofs collapsed under
      the weight of up to 4 feet of snow." Areas around Lake
      Tahoe have received 20 feet (6 meters) of snow since
      Christmas.
      "But the storm's fury shifted south Tuesday to the
      desert near Las Vegas and nearby Arizona and Utah."
      "The rain-swollen Virgin and Muddy Rivers flooded
      areas near Mesquite and Overton (Nevada), northeast of Las
      Vegas, forcing the evacuation of hundreds of people.
      Avalanche warnings evacuated the Mount Charleston ski
      area, where a snow slide killed a 13-year-old
      snowboarder."
      Flooding continued in the USA's Midwest, and "Gov.
      Bob Taft has declared a state of emergency in 49 of Ohio's
      88 counties."
      "A tugboat and three barges sank after being pushed
      through a dam on the Ohio River by currents strengthened
      by heavy rains. Three crewmembers on the barges were
      killed. One person was missing."
      "The tug was pushing six barges when it went through
      the floodgates at the Montgomery Island Dam and was rammed
      against the dam by strong currents."
      "'The worst thing was, you could see two people in
      the boat screaming for help' over the rush of the water,
      said Chuck Ward, assistant fire chief in Industry (Ohio)."
      "In Arkansas, two people died when thunderstorms
      ripped a 20-mile (32-kilometer) path of destruction
      through Union County late Wednesday," January 12, 2005.
      "At least 13 others were hurt, and homes were damaged and
      destroyed."
      "Floodwaters stayed high as the storm dropped more
      rain from Missouri to Pennsylvania. Towns along the Ohio
      River and its tributaries, where more than 1,000 homes
      have been damaged or destroyed, are braced for more."
      "In Hazelton, Indiana, volunteers and the National
      Guard placed 65,000 sandbags to hold back the White
      River."
      "In Fort Wayne and Decatur (Indiana), the St. Marys
      River was close to record levels set in 2003."
      Heavy fog blanketed Michigan and Indiana, even as
      snows buffeted Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa on Wednesday,
      January 12, 2005.
      "At least two people died and 25 others were injured
      when about 100 vehicles crashed Wednesday in thick fog on
      a Michigan highway, police said."
      "In Michigan, about 50 vehicles wrecked in one pileup
      on Interstate 96 outside Lansing (the state capital--J.T.)
      on Wednesday afternoon, killing one person, police said.
      Another person was killed when five vehicles crashed into
      each other 30 minutes later several miles to the east."
      "One person was also killed in Indiana when at least
      20 vehicles piled up amid heavy fog on a highway east of
      South Bend. The chain-reaction collision in Indiana left
      wrecked vehicles scattered in both eastbound and westbound
      lanes over a three-mile stretch of road."
      "Nine inches of new snow fell Wednesday, leaving
      Duluth (Minnesota) with about 20 inches on the ground and
      about 40 inches fallen this winter."
      "Right after the snowstorm, the temperature here in
      Duluth really dropped," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor
      reported, "On Thursday, January 13, 2005, it was minus 4
      degrees Fahrenheit on Superior Street at 10:30 a.m. On
      Friday, January 14, 2004, it was minus 9 degrees at the
      same spot at the same time--10:30 a.m.
      On Sunday, January 16, 2005, it was minus 20 degrees at
      the Milk House in Piedmont Heights at 9 a.m. We are
      definitely in Part 2 of 'The Big Freeze.' It's not
      supposed to go back above zero until Tuesday. If this
      keeps up, Lake Superior is going to freeze completely over
      for the first time since 1994."
      "By midday Thursday, Minneapolis," Minnesota's
      largest city, located about 200 miles (320 kilometers)
      south of Duluth, "had dipped to 2 degrees" Fahrenheit.
      "In Montana, the plains town of Cut Bank (population
      3,105) was at minus 23 degrees, while the mountain city of
      Missoula (population 57,053), just 145 miles (240
      kilometers) away, was 23 degrees above zero."
      On Friday, January 14, 2005, six inches of snow fell
      on the volcanoes of Hawaii. Snow completely blanketed the
      ground on the higher terrain of the "Big Island" of
      Hawaii, including Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa, Kulani, Mountain
      View, Puu Waawaa and Hualalai.
      "Joe, it looks like Minnesota out there," UFO Roundup
      contributor Tiffany Burton reported, "Everything's white.
      Kids are using their surf boards as snowboards. I was not
      ready for this. It's so cold I'm wearing my pajamas under
      a sweatshirt and jeans." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for January 9, 2005, "Storms persist from East to
      West," page 7A; USA Today for January 10, 2005, "7 die as
      new round of storms hammers Calif.," page 11A; Duluth,
      Minn. News-Tribune for January 11, 2005, "Heavy rain
      hammers California again; one dies," page 4A; USA Today
      for January 11, 2005, "Calif. mudslide leaves 2 dead, up
      to 12 missing," page 3A; USA Today for January 12, 2005,
      "At least 20 dead in Calif. storms," page 3A; USA Today
      for January 10, 2005, "Tugboat barges sink on Ohio River,
      3 dead," page 5A; Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for January
      13, 2005, "Highway pileups kill three," page 2A; USA Today
      for January 14, 2005, "Icy air rushes south as storms move
      east," page 3A; Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for January 13,
      2005, "The snow is over, now comes the brutal cold," page
      6A; and the Honolulu Star-Bulletin for January 15, 2005.
      Many thanks to Tiffany Burton for the Hawaii report.)
      (Editor's Note: Just like last week, there has been
      unusually severe weather outside the USA, as well. Read
      on...)

      HEAVY RAINS HIT EUROPE
      AND CENTRAL AMERICA

      "Powerful winds and heavy rain swept across northern
      Europe from Ireland to Russia over the weekend, killing at
      least 15 people by Sunday," January 9, 2005.
      "Hundreds of thousands of homes lost power, and air
      and sea transport were disrupted. Winds were clocked at
      75 miles per hour (120 kilometers per hour) in some areas
      of Scandinavia. Some bridges and airports were closed,
      and rail and ferry traffic was disrupted."
      In UK, the river Eden rose above flood level and
      inundated the city of Carlisle. Rescue workers needed
      rowboats to navigate the streets, which were flooded to a
      depth of 3 feet. "Military helicopters were called in to
      lift about a dozen people from their rooftops."
      In Russia, rising floodwaters closed several subway
      stations in the northern city of St. Petersburg.
      "In Finland, rescue teams piled thousands of sandbags
      and bales of recycled paper on the waterfront in downtown
      Helsinki, near the president's palace."
      In Central America, "three days of heavy rains in
      Costa Rica and Panama have forced about 12,500 people from
      their homes and killed at least one person."
      "Costa Rica's National Emergency Commission said that
      7,500 people had been evacuated to shelters. The Red
      Cross reported one man killed by a landslide."
      "In Panama, helicopters plucked people from rooftops,
      according to the National Civil Defense System. It said
      that 5,000 people had been evacuated. Rains have been
      pounding the region since Saturday," January 8, 2005.
      (See USA Today for January 10, 2005, "15 die after weekend
      storms rake Europe," page 6A; and USA Today for January
      11, 2005, "Floods force 12,500 from homes," page 7A.)

      HITLER CALLED POPE PIUS
      "FRIEND OF THE JEWS"

      "The Nazi commander in Rome warned Pope Pius XII
      (birth name: Eugenio Pacelli--J.T.) in 1944 of a plan by
      Adolf Hitler to abduct the pontiff, a newspaper reported
      Saturday," January 15, 2005.
      "Avennire, an Italian Catholic daily, cited a written
      statement by Gen. Karl Wolff, the head of the SS in
      German-occupied Rome, saying that Hitler considered Pius a
      'friend of the Jews.'"
      (Editor's Note: Wolff also served as the intermediary
      between his boss, Reichsfuehrer-SS Heinrich Himmler, and
      Allen W. Dulles, head of the American Office of Strategic
      Services (OSS, forerunner of the CIA--J.T.) during top-
      secret peace talks between Nazi Germany and the Allies in
      September 1944. In April 1945, Wolff negotiated with
      Dulles the surrender of all the German forces in Italy.)
      "The comment would seem to refute claims that Pius
      did little or nothing to protect Jews from slaughter by
      the Nazis during the Holocaust."
      "Avvenire, published by the Italian (Roman Catholic)
      bishop's conference said new details emerged during
      research to help the Vatican determine if Pius XII merits
      beatification."
      "Some Jewish groups are opposed to the move, the last
      formal step before possible sainthood. They contend Pius
      didn't speak out or do enough to save Jews during the
      Holocaust."
      "Avvenire's account comes a few weeks after a
      document found in Roman Catholic archives apparently
      instructed French Church authorities that Jewish baptized
      children should remain in the Church, even at the cost of
      refusing to return them to relatives." (See the Duluth,
      Minn. News-Tribune for January 16, 2005, "Hitler planned
      to kidnap Pope," page 2A.)
      (Editor's Note: Deportations in Vichy France were handled
      by the Commission Generale des Questions Juives (CGQJ or
      General Commission on the Jewish Question). When Vichy
      France was occupied by the Germans in November 1942,
      Xavier de Vallat took over as head of the CGQJ and felt
      that too many French Jews were using "the baptism clause"
      to escape arrest. Vallat persuaded the French head of
      state, Marshal Philippe Petain, to amend the deportation
      decrees to include "baptized Jews." Thereafter, all Jews,
      whether born in France or not, were liable to be shipped
      out of the Drancy transit camp aboard "the Auschwitz
      Express.")

      BLACK MAGICK ON
      DARTMOOR

      "Police in Devon (UK) are investigating after seven
      sheep were found dead arranged in an unusual pattern on
      Dartmoor."
      "The sheep were found on Sampford Spiney on Dartmoor
      with their necks broken and their bodies in a pattern
      sometimes associated with the occult."
      "The pattern was similar to the shape of a star, a
      heptagram, a mystical symbol sometimes used in occult
      ceremonies."
      "Chris Cole, a farmer who owned some of the sheep,
      said he first thought that they were killed by a lightning
      strike."
      "Mr. Cole, one of three farmers who owned the
      animals, said he thought it was lightning because 'that's
      what happens when any big group of animals dies like
      that.'"
      "He said when he discovered the animals were left in
      the seven-pointed shape, 'It scared some people and
      alarmed others, me included, being this close to home. I
      don't really know what's happened. It's more what we are
      imagining happened here now.'" (See BBC News for January
      13, 2004, "Dead sheep found in 'occult star.'" Many
      thanks to Robert Fischer for this news report.)

      IT'S OFFICIAL--DUBYA WILL
      TAKE THE OATH ON THE
      MASONIC BIBLE

      USA Today reports that President George W. Bush will
      take the oath of office Thursday, January 20, 2005, on
      George Washington's Masonic Bible.
      According to the article in USA Today, President
      "Bush says he plans to enjoy his second inauguration
      speech more than his first, when he said he was nervous
      about 'choking up' because his mother and father were
      seated behind him...He joked that he's debating whether to
      wear a red or blue tie and said he will use the same Bible
      he used in 2001. It was used by his father, former
      president George H.W. Bush in his 1989 inauguration and by
      his brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, when he was sworn in."
      Sixteen years ago, in January 1989, the rumor floated
      around Washington that the elder Bush had declined to take
      the oath of office on the Bible and had instead placed his
      hand on The Preppy Handbook.
      Some American rightwingers at the time claimed that
      George H.W. Bush had placed his hand on Originalschriften
      des Illuminatenordensekte, the book of black magick
      written by Illuminati founder Adam Weishaupt.
      In actuality, "Poppy" used the 238-year-old Masonic
      Bible, with the compass-and-square motif on its cover,
      that was used by the USA's first president, George
      Washington, at his inauguration in New York City in 1789.
      In January 2001, the New York Post reported, "A Bible
      that George Washington used to take the oath of office as
      the nation's first president will be used by George W.
      Bush."
      "Three officials of the Manhattan-based St. John's
      Lodge of the Free and Accepted Masons will board an Amtrak
      liner for Washington D.C. tomorrow. They'll be carrying
      the nine-pound, 234-year-old King James Bible in a special
      case."
      "For the sixth time in history, the Bible will be
      used on Saturday," January 20, 2001 "for the swearing in
      of a U.S. president. George Washington was the first in
      1789. The last was George H.W. Bush, who used the Bible
      in 1989. Other presidents who have placed their left hand
      on the Masonic Bible were Warren G. Harding in 1921,
      Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953 and Jimmy Carter in 1977."
      "The (Masonic) Bible was also displayed at the New
      York World's Fair in 1964-1965." (See USA Today for
      January 14, 2005, "Bush sees legacy in taking on big
      challenges," page 9A. Also the book Talisman by Graham
      Hancock and Robert Bauval, HarperCollins Publishers,
      London, 2004, page 486.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1891: STRANGE SECRETS OF
      LAFAYETTE SQUARE

      Of all the sites associated with Marie-Joseph Paul
      Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette,
      there is none quite as spooky as that little park just
      north of the White House in Washington D.C. Today it's
      called Lafayette Park, but prior to 1970 it was known as
      Lafayette Square.
      During the Nineteenth Century, it picked up the name
      "Tragedy Square," mainly because strange and often violent
      deaths occurred there. For example, at 748 Jackson Place
      N.W. stands the Decatur House. Stephen Decatur, then the
      youngest captain in the U.S. Navy and a hero of the war
      with the Barbary pirates, commissioned the famous Masonic
      architect, Benjamin Henry Latrobe, to design and build the
      townhouse. Just a few doors away, on Lafayette Square, is
      another of Latrobe's works--St. John's Church, with its
      Greek portico and (minus the steeple, which was added
      later--J.T.) its eerie resemblance to the temple of Athena
      Nike in Greece.
      The three-story red-brick mansion with its tall
      windows and distinctive chimneys was completed in 1819. A
      year later, Commodore Decatur was killed in a duel with
      another officer, Commodore James Barron. Ever since then,
      the mansion has been haunted.
      Dominating Lafayette Square is the statue of Andrew
      Jackson, the seventh president of the USA. This was the
      first equestrian statue erected in the USA, and, according
      to legend, the sculptor, Clark Mills, "a self-taught
      artist" from upstate New York, "obtained the use of a
      Virginia thoroughbred and trained it to rear in the
      position held by" a miniature model of the proposed
      statue. Mills then cast both statues of the horse and
      President Jackson in bronze melted down from cannon "Old
      Hickory" had captured during the War of 1812.
      At the time of his first unsuccessful run for the
      presidency in 1824, Jackson was Grand Master of the Grand
      Lodge of Tennessee. He had been a Mason since at least
      1801. Upon attaining the White House in early 1829,
      Jackson renamed what had been "President's Square" after
      the Marquis de Lafayette. (For more on Jackson's Masonic
      ties, see UFO Roundup, volume 10, number 2, for January
      12, 2005, "1824: Executive mansion or Masonic shrine?"
      page 14.)
      Originally, the square was part of the old Pierce
      farm, established in 1685. "When George Washington
      proposed to acquire this site as a public park in 1791,"
      at a time when Pierre L'Enfant was first sketching out his
      plans for the new "federal city," the farm "had been owned
      by the Pierce family since 1685. The Pierce farmhouse
      stood at the northeast corner of the Square," where the
      statue of Tadeusz Kosciuszko, the Polish soldier-of-
      fortune who fought for the USA during the War of the
      American Revolution, stands today. "The Pierce apple
      orchard occupied most of the remainder of the square,"
      except for the land south of the Jackson statue, which we
      shall discuss later.
      As we have seen in previous issues of UFO Roundup,
      much of the arcana in Washington D.C. has to do with
      Freemasonry. Lafayette Square is no exception. One of the
      weirdest statues in the District stands in the southeast
      corner of the Square, and it is dedicated to (who else?)
      our old pal Gilbert, the Marquis de Lafayette.
      "The Statue of Lafayette, in the southeast corner of
      the square, is a heroic bronze figure by Alexandre
      Falguiere and Antonin Mercie on a copper-stained white
      marble pedestal. On the east side of the base Comte
      (Count) d'Estaing and Comte (Count) de Grasse are
      represented as offering French naval support to Lafayette,
      and on the west side Comte (Count) de Rochambeau and
      Chevalier Duportail are shown tendering military aid. A
      seminude female figure on the south is handing his sword
      to the French hero (Lafayette), and nude infants on the
      north represent the gratitude of later generations to the
      French leader for his aid in the cause of liberty."
      "In 1891, a statue of the Marquis de Lafayette joined
      Jackson on the southeast corner of the park, near
      Fifteenth Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. A half-dressed
      woman, perhaps representing France, hands him his sword;
      an old joke has the lady saying, 'Give me my clothes, and
      I'll give you back your sword.'"
      The statue carries the inscription: "To General
      Lafayette and his Compatriots 1777-1783."
      The Lafayette statue is riddled with occult and
      Masonic symbolism. To begin, let's start with the
      marquis' compatriots.
      Charles Henri Theodat, the Count d'Estaing, was, like
      his third cousin Lafayette, an Auvergnat, a man from the
      Auvergne, a hilly region in south-central France. Like
      his shipmate, the Count de Grasse, he was a Freemason.
      Both arrived with the French fleet when it landed at
      Newport, Rhode Island in July 1780.
      Le Chevalier Duportail was a French soldier and a
      friend of both Lafayette and his brother-in-law, Viscount
      Louis de Noailles. In 1781, Duportail became Gilbert's
      most able assistant during the battle of Yorktown. Like
      Lafayette, the Viscount de Noailles and their best friend,
      Count Philippe de Segur, Duportail was considered a
      "liberal" in Paris and a Freemason.
      Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, the Count de
      Rochambeau, was the commander of the French army that
      arrived in Newport in July 1780. Married to a Portuguese
      noblewoman, Luisa da Costa, Rochambeau had joined the
      French Army in 1742, came out of the War of the Austrian
      Succession a full colonel, and became a major general
      during the Seven Years War (1754-1761, better known in the
      USA as "the French and Indian War"--J.T.) He had been
      commanding armies on the battlefields of central Europe
      while Gilbert was still in diapers.
      By some strange coincidence, Rochambeau was a member
      of a Masonic lodge in Paris, La Societe Olympique
      (Translated: The Olympian Society--J.T.) Other members
      included Count d'Estaing, Count de Grasse and Duportail.
      In 1773, some new blood joined "The Olympians"...cadets
      from a military school--the Count de Segur, the Viscount
      de Noailles and the 16-year-old Marquis de Lafayette.
      Masonic sculptors Falguiere and Mercie seem to have
      pulled a fast one on the American people. Yes, the
      monument does honor Lafayette. But it also commemorates
      an obscure Masonic lodge of Paris, of whom only a handful
      of members--such as John Paul Jones--actually fought on
      the American side in the war for independence.
      But, other than their Masonic membership, there's
      nothing really arcane about Lafayette's compatriots. No,
      the real weirdness in the statue comes from the other
      figures and bas-reliefs on the marble.
      Such as the unknown woman with the sword.
      Who is she? Well, she is crumpled at the foot of the
      pedestal in the pose of "the Weeping Virgin," a recurrent
      image in Freemasonry. David Ovason, author of The Secret
      Architecture of Our Nation's Capital, points out that
      "this Virgoan symbolism in Masonic imagery was originally
      linked with the picture of a crying woman called The
      Weeping Virgin. Such as association reminds us that the
      Egyptian equivalent of Virgo--the goddess Isis--and her
      dark twin, Nephthys, were called in the hermetic
      (magickal) literature, 'the weeping sisters.'"
      "The great Mason, Albert Pike, knew that the image of
      the Weeping Virgin was of Masonic origin, but also seemed
      aware that the connection between the image and ancient
      hermeticism (Egyptian magick--J.T.) had been forgotten."
      "The goddess Isis was the symbol of both the past and
      the future," Ovason adds, "because she had knowledge of
      the secrets of time. Isis represented total
      consciousness, or those things which have been brought
      into the light of day, for contemplation by the observing
      mind..."
      "In contrast, her dark sister Nephthys represented
      that which is hidden, the obscured unconsciousness of
      man." The seminude female "is an Isis who, in her
      nakedness, symbolically reveals her sacred wisdom
      unveiled."
      By giving her sword to Gilbert, is the goddess
      Nephthys inviting him to wage war on behalf of the hidden
      wisdom?
      Isis Unveiled, of course, is the book written in the
      1870s by Elena Petrovna von Hahn Blavatsky, better known
      as Madame Blavatsky, the foremost occultist of the
      Nineteenth Century. By another weird coincidence, her
      great-grandfather, Gustav von Hahn, knew Baron von Steuben
      in Russia during the early 1770s. Yes, that's the same
      Friedrich Wilhelm Augustus Heinrich von Steuben, the
      drillmaster of George Washington's Continental Army, whose
      statue, sculpted by Albert Jaegers, stands at the
      northwest corner of Lafayette Square.
      Going around to the north side of Gilbert's statue,
      we find "The Babies." What do they represent? Grateful
      French children of the future? Try again. It's an
      astrological symbol--the Gemini twins. As Ovason points
      out in his book, there are Gemini symbols all over
      Washington. And, according to Eighteenth Century Mason
      and astrologer Ebeneezer Sibley, Gemini is the ruling sign
      of North America and the birth sign of the USA.
      That brings us to the south side of the statue and
      "The Monster." Just what is that strange critter coming
      out of the marble just above the Weeping Virgin? It has
      wings, a feline head, a gaping mouth, beady eyes and a
      snakelike tail. That bas-relief had your editor stumped
      for months. And then it came to me--it's a chimaera.
      In Greek mthology, the chimaera was a fire-breathing
      female monster that terrorized Caria and Lycia. The
      creature had the head of a lion, the body of a goat and
      the tail of a dragon. It was finally killed by the Greek
      hero Bellerophon.
      Goat...aha! That gave it away. "The Monster"
      represents Capricorn, another astrological sign. Gemini
      on the north side, Capricorn on the south side.
      Obviously, there's some Masonic/astrological symbolism to
      this statue. But what?
      Gilbert was born at the Chateau de Chavaniac in the
      Auvergne region of France on September 6, 1757.
      Astrologically speaking, that makes him a Virgo, which
      makes him fit right in with all of the Virgoan symbolism
      in Washington, D.C. In fact, standing atop the pedestal,
      Gilbert's bronze statue is looking toward that point on
      the horizon where, during August, first the star Sirius
      rises, followed by the constellation Virgo.
      That was an important event in the religion of
      ancient Egypt. Sirius was known to the Egyptians as
      Sothis and was sacred to both Isis and her brother-
      husband, Osiris. However, in Freemasonry, Sirius is known
      as "the Blazing Star" and is usually represented by a
      five-pointed star or pentagram.
      Finally, there is the persistent rumor of ancient
      underground tunnels running beneath Lafayette Square. One
      goes northeast to the Decatur House and St. John's Church,
      also known as "the President's Church." James Madison,
      the fourth president of the USA (1809-1817) was the first
      one to attend services there.
      Another runs from the White House to the Octagon
      House at 1799 New York Avenue N.W. According to Jim
      Brandon, author of Weird America, "The Octagon tunnels are
      a fairly well-established historical fact. But exactly
      where they went is no longer certain...I have heard it
      claimed that these tunnels are 'Atlantean,' but then so is
      everything else according to a certain kind of occult
      fancier."
      The Octagon tunnel passes right underneath Lafayette
      Square. It's enough to make you wonder if the marble
      pedestal beneath Gilbert's statue is really solid.
      Maybe if you turn the Monster's head or something, a trap
      door slides open, and you can go down into the Atlantean
      tunnel.
      One enduring question is: why are so many of the
      buildings on Lafayette Square haunted? Such as the White
      House, the Octagon House and the Decatur House.
      The answer is very simple, really. And to find it,
      you have to turn back the clock to 1791, to before Pierre
      L'Enfant took President Washington's suggestion to heart
      and added a park to the north of the future executive
      mansion.
      Remember the old Pierce farm, which used to occupy
      the land that is now Lafayette Square? The apple orchard,
      you'll recall, "occupied most of the remainder" of
      Lafayette Square..."except a family burying ground between
      the present Jackson statue and the White House."
      So the White House and Lafayette Square were both
      built over a cemetery dating back to 1685. Tayaa! No
      wonder the area is haunted! (See the books Washington
      D.C.: A Guide to the Nation's Capital, New Revised
      Edition, Hastings House Publishers, New York, N.Y., 1968,
      pages 250 to 259, 281 to 283, 344 and 383; Beautiful
      Washington D.C. by Gene Gurney, Crown Publishers Inc., New
      York, N.Y., 1969, pages 67 to 69, 170 and 174; Washington
      D.C. 2003, edited by Brian Wansley Flanagan, St. Martin's
      Press, New York, N.Y., 2003, pages 40, 62 and 64;
      Washington D.C. Handbook 102, U.S. Department of the
      Interior, Washington D.C., 1989, pages 18, 19, 89, 90 and
      91; The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's Capital by
      David Ovason, HarperCollins Publishers, New York, N.Y.,
      2000, pages 67, 91, 103, 139, 140, 141, 167, 168, 174,
      178, 183, 184, 271, 272 and 276; Lafayette by Peter
      Buckman, Paddington Press Ltd., London, 1977, pages 76,
      77, 80, 94, 103, 104, 105, 106, 110, 111, 192 and 209;
      Lafayette by Brand Whitlock, Volume 1, D. Appleton & Co.,
      New York, N.Y., 1929, pages 244, 246, 249, 251, 262, 265
      and 293; and Talisman by Graham Hancock and Robert Bauval,
      HarperCollins Publishers, London, 2004, pages 452 and
      453.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth--and occasionally, Titan--brought to you by
      "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next
      time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.