UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 10 Number 1

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      Volume 10, Number 1
      January 5, 2005
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      UFOs returned to Iran in force last week, hovering
      over the country's nuclear installations and causing the
      Islamic government to issue a Red Alert.
      It was the biggest mass sighting of UFOs in Iran
      since the two-week flap in mid-April 2004. At that time,
      UFOs were sighted in Tabriz, Ghonbad-Kavous, Azad Shar,
      Gorgan and Poldokhtar. (For the full details, see UFO
      Roundup, volume 9, number 16 for April 21, 2004, "UFOs
      with flashing lights seen in northern Iran," page 5; and
      volume 9, number 17 for April 28, 2004, "Major UFO flap
      breaks out in northern Iran," page 4.)
      "Iran's air force has been ordered to shoot down any
      unknown or mysterious flying object in Iran's airspace, an
      Iranian Air Force spokesman reported" on Sunday, December
      26, 2004, "amid state-media reports of many sightings of
      flying objects over Iran's nuclear installations."
      "Flying-object fever has gripped Iran after dozens of
      reported sightings last summer and in recent months.
      State-run media has reported sightings of unknown objects
      over parts of Iran where nuclear facilities are located."
      "Flights of unknown objects in the country's airspace
      have increased in recent weeks. They have been seen over
      Bushehr and Isfahan provinces, the daily newspaper Resalat
      reported yesterday (Sunday, December 26, 2004)."
      "The timing of the reported increases in sighting,
      coming as the United States is prodding the UN to confront
      Iran over its nuclear program, has strengthened the
      Iranian public's perception that the objects under
      surveillance are hostile aircraft entering Iran."
      "Gen. Karim Ghavami, (Iran's) chief of air
      operations, was quoted yesterday as saying that Iran is
      fully prepared to defend itself against any threat to its
      nuclear installations. 'We have developed detailed plans
      to defend our nuclear facilities from any threat. Iran's
      air force is watchful and and fully prepared to carry out
      its responsibilities,' he said."
      "Shining objects were seen in the daytime sky over
      Natanz, where Iran's uranium enrichment plant is located.
      One of the objects exploded, causing panic among the
      civilians of the region."
      "Iran has been accused by the USA of developing a
      clandestine nuclear weapons program. Israel has hinted
      openly that it may strike Iran's nuclear facilities if
      international pressure fails to permanently freeze Iran's
      nuclear development."
      "Iran has denied the U.S. charges, saying its nuclear
      program is geared towards producing electricity, not
      nuclear weapons."
      "Iran agreed last week to suspend uranium enrichment
      and all related activities under a deal reached with the
      European Union, helping it to escape referral to the UN
      Security Council and the possible imposition of
      "Iran says it already possesses the capability to
      create the entire nuclear fuel cycle--from mining uranium
      oxide to enriching it. Uranium enriched to a low level is
      used as fuel in nuclear reactors. Further enrichment
      produces 'weapons-grade' uranium and plutonium."
      "Sources in Iran say the Iranian Air Force has
      admitted to these sightings and assumes that these are
      U.S. or Israeli spy craft and has directed its fighter
      pilots to 'shoot them down on sight.'"
      Easier said than done. The same sources claim that
      "the Iranian Air Force has thus far been unable to
      successfully intercept" any UFO "and has failed to shoot
      down a single object. Many in the Iranian Air Force are
      complaining about a lack of technical ability in shooting
      down these mysterious craft." (See the Iranian newspaper
      Resalat for December 27, 2004; the Jordanian newspaper Al-
      Majd for December 27, 2004; and India Daily for December
      27, 2004, "Iranian Air Force ordered to defend nuclear
      facilities from UFOs." Many thanks to Robert Fischer,
      Daniel Wilson and Ayesha al-Khatabi for these newspaper
      (Editor's Comment: Welcome to Spotlight on Iran Week here
      at UFO Roundup. Isfahan and Bushehr aren't the only
      Iranian provinces where weird events are happening. Read

      "A meteorite weighing at least 16 kilograms struck a
      house in southeastern Iran, the state news agency IRNA
      reported Thursday," December 29, 2004.
      "The crystalline meteor penetrated the roof of a
      house in Saravan, a small town in the province of Sistan-
      Baluchestan," about 800 kilometers (500 miles) southeast
      of Tehran, the national capital.
      "According to local police official Mohammad Arab,
      the sparkling crystal meteor hit the home in Saravan and
      shattered into small pieces. No injuries or serious
      damage was reported."
      "The police report said most of the meteor had
      already been broken up and taken away by local people
      before their officers arrived at the scene."
      "At least one mullah has called the meteor 'the gift
      of Allah.' From my friend Kufa Yildaz, I've heard that
      the Shiites in Saravan believe these crystals from space
      will protect them when the Israeli attack comes," Ayesha
      al-Khatabi, UFO Roundup's Middle East correspondent said.
      (See the Jordanian newspaper Al-Majd for December 30,
      2004. Many thanks to Dick Eastman and Ayesha al-Khatabi
      for this newspaper article.)

      On Sunday, December 18, 2004, UK tourist Stuart Logan
      and his family decided to go out to dinner at the Club
      Amigo, the open-air restaurant at the Hotel Atlantico in
      Guardalavaca, a suburb of Holguin, a city in eastern Cuba.
      "We were on the thirteenth night of a two-week
      vacation at the resort of Guardalavaca on the northeastern
      side of Cuba," Stuart reported, "Guardalavaca is located
      one hour's drive from the major city of Holguin and is on
      the coast."
      "We had recently started our meal, and with me at a
      round table were five of us--my brother, my niece, my
      sister and a family friend. It was a clear sky, and the
      sun had just about gone down. But it was not yet complete
      darkness. I had my back to the view facing the coast.
      The restaurant we were in was only a five-minute walk from
      the beach."
      "At precisely 7:05 p.m., my brother, sitting
      opposite, said, 'What's that light in the sky?'"
      "We all began to observe a very bright light at about
      a 45-degree angle in the sky over the sea. We had been
      observing the stars every night, as they are so clear in
      the Cuban sky from what we would see in UK, and we knew
      instantly--this was no planet or star."
      "The light was a pulsating bright orangeness that was
      "My brother said he had been watching it for a few
      minutes previously and only mentioned it when he saw
      another bright orange object join it."
      "To me, it was one light, but some at our table
      thought it could be up to four lights close together."
      "I estimated the light to be no more than 3 or 4
      kilometers (2 or 3 miles) away."
      "We all agreed that the light was orange and
      definitely pulsating or possibly expanding and
      "Other diners noticed us looking, and they began to
      observe the object."
      "Then the waiters became interested, followed by the
      kitchen staff, and all came out and went to the edge of
      the restaurant for the closest view."
      "This was the best indicator that we were observing
      something, as the Cuban staff seemed as fascinated as we
      were. In all, there were 20 people watching the sky."
      "We observed the object all together for about five
      "It was about 7:10 p.m. when the light just faded and
      was gone."
      "Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me that
      evening. There was some background music playing in the
      restaurant so we could not hear any other sound."
      "Coincidentally, the next morning, my niece heard on
      TV that a UFO picked up on radar, had been reported in the
      Jakarta region of Indonesia." (For more on the Jakarta
      flyover, see UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 52 for December
      28, 2004, "Sky booms rattle the capital of Indonesia,"
      page 3.)
      "Was there any connection between the Indonesian
      incident and the world's most destructive earthquake in
      the last forty years?" (Email Form Report)

      On Monday, December 27, 2004, eyewitness Craig W. was
      outdoors in Aldershot, Hampshire, UK when he saw a shining
      object approaching from the west.
      Craig reported, "It was an elongated silvery diamond-
      shaped craft, slow-moving and silent. It was bright
      silver in the daylight and dark grey at certain angles.
      There were two eyewitnesses to the event, myself included.
      When first observing the object, we both thought it was a
      type of swift-wing species (similar to observing a sample
      through a microscope--C.W.)."
      He described the object as "moving quietly" and "at a
      height of 20,000 feet (6,000 meters), not made for speed
      but moved quite slowly. It took approximately four
      minutes to disappear over the eastern horizon." (Email
      Form Report)

      On Friday, December 16, 2004, at 9 p.m., eyewitness
      John S. "and my two friends were outside" in Wortham,
      Texas (population 1,082) "when a disk or saucer-shaped
      object came flying over the small buildings of downtown
      Wortham. It was a greyish-blue color and had lights all
      around the rim."
      The saucer stopped and hovered over the intersection
      of Route 14 and the county road to Kirvin, then it moved
      on. "Soon two others followed after it, looking exactly
      the same. They stayed awhile, hovering and spinning above
      us. Then they stopped in mid-air and flew away so fast
      they looked like they disappeared."
      Wortham, Tex. is on Route 14, approximately 8 miles
      (12 kilometers) north of Mexia and 45 miles (72
      kilometers) northeast of Waco. (Email Form Report)

      On Monday, December 5, 2004, at 7:15 p.m., eyewitness
      C.C. "was sitting outside on the deck with my dog" at her
      home in Acton, Ontario, Canada (population 6,975) when she
      was startled by a strange UFO encounter.
      "I live in a new housing development in Action, and
      the treeline is actually behind an air base," she
      reported, "On the other side of the trees lies a grocery
      store and a small plaza. The sky was clear, and out of
      nowhere dropped two oval-shaped lights. They dropped
      straight down over the treeline and went straight over my
      house. The two objects were very quiet and came to a
      brief stop as they dropped out of nowhere and then went
      straight over my house."
      "I didn't notice how my dog reacted--a soft-coated
      Wheaten terrier--as she was doing her business, and I was
      looking up into the sky. The two objects were almost
      triangle-shaped and bright, silver looking, and they made
      no noise at all. This all happened in a matter of five to
      ten seconds."
      "We live about one hour northwest of Pearson
      International Airport in Toronto. I could see clearly the
      planes going over that night. They fly southeast over our
      house. These objects descended out of nowhere, straight
      down, hesitated and then straight over my house."
      Acton, Ont. in on Provincial Highway 25 about 30
      miles (48 kilometers) west of Toronto, Canada's largest
      city. (Many thanks to Canadian ufologist Brian Vike for
      this report.)

      There's a new breed of terrorist in central Rhode
      Island--someone who shoots at houses and people using a
      gun that fires potatoes.
      "Police are investigating a series of drive-by
      shootings in Scituate, R.I.," a town located about 20
      miles (32 kilometers) west-southwest of Providence, "that
      involve a bizarre weapon of choice--a potato."
      "Scituate police believe the perpetrator, armed with
      a potato gun, went on a vegetable-shooting spree through
      several neighborhoods."
      "Houses on Peeptoad, Westcott and Chopmist Hill Roads
      were hit. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Police believe
      juveniles or college students are to blame, but they're
      not treating these cases as harmless pranks."
      "'If it were to strike somebody, especially in the
      right area of the body, it could cause permanent harm,
      broken bones, maybe even death to the right person,' said
      Sgt. Dave Randall of the Scituate police, 'I think it's a
      pretty silly prank, and I think it's something that could
      hurt somebody seriously. And if they are apprehended,
      they will be charged.'"
      "Police don't have any suspects, but they said
      whoever is responsible is facing three counts of
      misdemeanor vandalism." (See the WJAR-TV Channel 10 of
      Providence, R.I. news broadcast of December 30, 2004,
      "Houses shot at with potatoes." Many thanks to Mary-Lou
      Jones Drown for the transcript of the news broadcast.)
      (Editor's Note: Chopmist Hill in Scituate is quite close
      to the site of old Phillips Tavern, which was founded in
      1812 by the ancestors of Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-
      1937) and is notorious for its ghost and poltergeist
      activity. When I visited Scituate in 1995, I learned of a
      strange little ditty that dated back to colonial days and
      was sung at the now-demolished Pine Tree Tavern, just
      across Route 6, from the Phillips place. The ditty goes
      like this: " We're crunching potatoes/Crunching
      potatoes/We're crunching/We're crunching/Potatoes. Could
      Scituate's "Potato Sniper" be a poltergeist? What do you
      think, Terry? Was Peeptoad Road named after Tsathoggua?)

      "A Tunisian astrologer who predicted the deaths of
      Princess Diana, Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin and
      Yasser Arafat says President (George W.) Bush will be
      killed by an assassin's bullet in 2005."
      "So seriously are Hassan al-Sharibi's predictions
      taken in the Arab world that a similar prophecy about PLO
      leader Mahmoud Abbas has resulted in increased security
      around the candidate to replace Arafat as president of the
      Palestinian Authority."
      "Abbas' aides 'put a good deal of credence' in the
      prediction, according to a source quoted by the Jerusalem
      "However, the paper tempered its report by saying
      critics label Sharibi as 'a quack with a flair who relies
      on logic and wishful thinking. After all, predicting
      Yassin's assassination--he was Israel's Public Enemy No.
      1--and the death of Arafat were hardly major feats.'"
      "Soothsaying is not unusual, or forbidden, in Islam,
      as it is in Christianity and Judaism. Muslim caliphs
      retained a court astrologer as early as the Eighth
      (Editor's Comment: Fortune-telling is forbidden in
      Judaism!? That's news. What do you call the Zohar and
      the Kabbalah?)
      "Sharibi also predicted the sudden death of Saddam
      Hussein before his trial begins" in Baghdad.
      "'The Middle East will be sitting on a volcano in
      2005, and the situation in Iraq will get even more
      dramatic as Saddam Hussein is expected to die suddenly
      before his trial even starts,' Sharibi said, according to
      a report of the United Press International."
      Hindu astrologers are predicting more earthquakes
      like the one that triggered the massive tsunamis (Japanese
      for tidal waves--J.T.) in the Indian Ocean a week ago,
      Indian journalist Sudhir Chadda reported.
      "The negative planetary alignment will cause many
      earthquakes all around the world of a magnitude that
      humankind has never seen before."
      "According to the Hindu astrologers of Varanasi
      (formerly Benares--J.T.), Venus, Luna (Earth's moon--J.T.)
      and Jupiter are pulling Earth away from the sun in a
      single direction, this baleful alignment could devastate
      the world in the next few months." (See the Jerusalem
      Post for December 28, 2004, "Arab astrologer predicts Bush
      assassination;" and India Daily for December 29, 2004,
      "Planetary alignment can devastate the world in the next
      few months." Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi and Subhas
      Banerjee for these newspaper articles.)

      "The Marines will take over parts of downtown Toledo
      (population 313,619) as sounds of gunfire will echo off
      buildings when training exercises are conducted next
      "A Marine Corps unit based in Perrysburg, Ohio
      (population 16,945)," 10 miles (16 kilometers) south of
      Toledo, "will conduct the exercise from 9 p.m. (Friday)
      January 7 (2005) until (Sunday) January 9 (2005), Major
      Gregory Cramer said."
      "Major Cramer said most of the 130-member unit--
      Weapons Company, First Battalion, 24th Marines--will take
      part in the exercise."
      "'We're looking for a safe environment to do our
      training,' he said, 'Urban training is one of the
      proficiencies we're required to master.'"
      "Major Cramer said Marines will be dressed in green
      and will be carrying rifles through the streets, but the
      exercise would have a limited impact on the downtown area.
      He said the Marines will be firing blanks and conducting
      operations throughout the area."
      "'The only request we would have of folks, if they
      happen to be near where an exercise is taking place, is to
      stay away as much as possible,' Major Cramer said."
      "The exercise area will be roughly north of Monroe
      Street, west of the Maumee River, south and west of Cherry
      Street, south of Woodruff Avenue and east of Collingwood
      "Toledo Police Chief Mike Navarre said military
      exercises have been conducted before in the downtown area
      with a minimal impact on city residents. He said city and
      police officials have been working with the Marines to
      help the exercise go smoothly."
      "'Training is extremely important, not just in our
      profession but in the military, too,' Chief Navarre said,
      'We're not going to place any obstacles in their way.'"
      "Jean Atkin, administrator for Lucas County Common
      Pleas Court, said the unit was granted permission to use
      the courthouse grounds. The unit, though, won't use the
      interior of the courthouse."
      "'We used to do this when we were kids--you know,
      running around the woods,' Ms. Atkin said, 'They're just
      going to use the downtown.'" (See the Toledo, Ohio Blade
      for January 1, 2005, "Marines will stay close to home for
      urban training." Many thanks to Jim Danvers for this
      newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: You know, I was really hoping for a
      respite from the New World Order during 2005. But I guess
      that was just too much to hope for.)

      A company based in Israel has signed a contract with
      the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to construct new
      detention facilities to be added to the current roster of
      600 internment camps operated by the department's Federal
      Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
      "In December 2004, President Bush and the Department
      of Homeland Security, authorizing preliminary studies for
      the rapid construction of a National Detention Center
      Program (FEMA)-controlled series of detention centers, to
      be added to the existing 600 units in place."
      "The Department of Homeland Security is coordinating
      with the Israeli corporation, Israeli Prison Systems Ltd.,
      for the expedited construction of several new prison
      camps. The new internment camps will be located in rural
      and relatively uninhabited areas throughout the
      continental United States and Alaska."
      "Civilian internment camps or prison camps, more
      commonly known as concentration camps, have been the
      subject of much rumor during the past few years in
      America," particularly since Y2K at the end of 1999.
      "Several Web sites have dealt with the issue, and
      radio talk show hosts have dealt with the issue."
      The program grew out of the Suspect Index, a list
      compiled by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and then-
      Attorney General Homer Cummings earmarking American
      civilians to be interned in the event of war or other dire
      national emergency. J. Edgar Hoover's aide, Clyde W.
      Tolson, referred to it as "the HSL" or "Homer's Shit
      List." The list was updated in 1938 with the names of
      thousands of Issei and Nisei (Japanese-Americans--J.T.),
      who were rounded up en masse in February 1942 after FDR
      issued his infamous executive order.
      Following World War II, the detention camp system was
      ratified by Congress as part of the Internal Security Act
      of 1950. When President Jimmy Carter created FEMA in
      1979, the camp program moved into the new agency. When
      the newly-created Department of Homeland Security made
      FEMA one of its sub-agencies in 2002, it also obtained
      control of the camp program.
      Existence of the controversial camp program has
      reportedly been confirmed by Rep. Henry Gozalez (Democrat-
      Texas). According to Soldiers for Jesus News Report,
      Gonzalez was quoted as saying, "The truth is...yes, you do
      have these standby prisons, and the plans are
      here...whereby you could, in the name of stopping
      terrorism...evoke the military and arrest Americans and
      put them in detention camps." (See Soldiers for Jesus
      News Reports for December 30, 2004, "The march into
      internment continues." Many thanks to Jeremy Gridley for
      this news story.)

      "Wildlife enthusiasts in Sri Lanka are expressing
      surprise that the tsunami that killed thousands of people
      does not appear to have caused large-scale animal deaths,
      which suggests that the animals might have sensed the
      coming disaster and fled to higher ground."
      "An Associated Press photographer who flew over the
      Yala National Park by helicopter saw abundant wildlife,
      including elephants, buffalo and deer, and not a single
      "Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home
      to 200 Asian elephants, crocodile, wild boar, water
      buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's
      highest concentration of leopards."
      "Water from Sunday's tsunami swept into the park,
      uprooting trees, toppling cars, destroying a lodge and
      killing 200 people." (See USA Today for December 30,
      2004, "Few animal victims in tsunami disaster," page 9D.)

      "A Swedish toddler was reunited with his weeping
      father in a Thai hospital Wednesday," December 29, 2004,
      "three days after the two-year-old was found sitting alone
      on a roadside after the tsunami."
      Sunburned, covered with mosquito bites, and shaking
      from trauma, the boy could only utter two words,
      But on Wednesday, "Hannes Bergstroem, his face
      scratched and pocked with mosquito bites and his hand
      bandaged, looked bemused as his father choked up with
      emotion. The father," Marko Karkkainen, "also scratched
      and bruised, held Hannes as he lay in a hospital bed,
      surrounded by balloons."
      "The boy's mother is among about 5,000 people still
      missing in Thailand."
      "Hannes was found near a beach resort Sunday night,"
      December 26, 2004, "and taken to a hospital. The hospital
      staff posted his photo on the Internet. His uncle spotted
      the photo, claimed the boy and set up the reunion with his
      father, at a hospital on the southern Thai island of
      Phuket, where father and son were receiving treatment."
      "'I have been to Thailand seven times, and this time
      only confirmed what I know about the Thai people--that
      they are so generous and caring,' Karkkainen said." (See
      USA Today for December 30, 2004, "2-year-old found along
      road is reunited with his father," page 7A.)

      Powerful aftershocks continue to rattle the Nicobar
      and Andaman Islands, off the coast of India, in the wake
      of the tremendous earthquake, 9.0 on the Richter scale,
      that took place on Sunday, December 26, 2004.
      The quake, the most powerful on Earth in 40 years,
      split one Nicobar island into two pieces and caused
      another to sink like the lost continent of Atlantis.
      Units of the Indian Army "on Wednesday (December 29,
      2004) reached the last of India's remote Andaman and
      Nicobar villages, where villagers have been living off
      coconuts since" the tsunami that flooded the islands
      following Sunday's quake.
      "On the island of Car Nicobar, dazed Nicobarese
      tribes people emerged from the trees as the army pushed
      into the interior."
      "Staring blankly, drawn, exhausted and barely
      speaking, they showed little emotion or relief at the
      arrival of help after three days of camping on the tiny
      island's only high ground."
      "'Everything is gone. We have nothing left, not even
      a slipper,' said Nathan, a 56-year-old father of eight."
      "'First the ground shook and we thought the earth was
      going to swallow us up,' he said, 'But then the sea came
      and it came so fast I barely had time to ask my wife to
      gather our children and run.'"
      "Bodies still litter the Nicobars and in parts of
      (India's) southern mainland, authorities have given up
      counting the dead, instead quickly disposing of bodies in
      mass burials and cremations."
      "Dozens of aftershocks continued to hit the Andaman
      and Nicobar Islands, bordering Myanmar (formerly Burma--
      J.T.) and Indonesia. Islanders are terrified the
      (aftershock) tremors could trigger more giant waves are
      living on high ground or sleeping on mattresses in the
      streets of the island's capital, Port Blair."
      "'When the ground first shook, I thought this was an
      earthquake. But when the waves came and it kept climbing
      higher and higher, I knew God had meant us to die,' said
      another islander, Augustine. 'But my child was there with
      me and I had to run. Jesus saved us.'"
      "Territory police chief S.B. Deol said, 'One in five
      inhabitants in the entire Nicobar group of islands is
      either dead, injured or missing.'"
      "At least 50,000 people live in the Nicobars, at the
      southern end of the chain."
      "'The situation is some of the islands we managed to
      establish contact with is indeed very grim,' Deol said,
      'People have been living on coconuts...and the coconuts
      are not going to last forever. We need to reach food
      urgently to these people.'"
      "Aircraft dropping emergency supplies report only a
      third or half the residents of some islands can be
      accounted for."
      "The power of Sunday's earthquake split one island in
      "'The entire geography of some parts of these islands
      has changed,' Deol said. 'Where there was one island
      before, now we see two. In one place, a tree stands alone
      in the middle of the ocean.'"
      Commenting on the disaster, the Times of India
      stated, "The giant killer waves that swept the coasts of
      South and Southeast Asia have added a new word to the
      global lexicon of disaster--tsunami...The truly fearsome
      aspect of the disaster is that it was totally
      unpredictable. So little is known about catastrophic
      phenomena like tsunamis that it is virtually impossible
      for governments or populations to take precautionary
      action...Forget nations, our entire species might not
      survive such a cataclysmic giga-event--which for our
      planet is but a twitch of its skin. Such stupendous
      forces beyond comprehension can inspire only awe."
      Survivors all over the region continued to come
      forward with their stories. Seven-year-old Piuli Paul
      "went to (southern India's) Marina Beach with her father,
      Pallab Paul, an accountant; her mother, Ratna Paul; and
      her grandparents."
      "The entire family could not recall exactly what
      happened at 8:40 a.m. (India) time on Sunday. 'Suddenly
      there was a wall of water all around us, and it was
      swelling by the minute. We just ran for safety, I think,
      screaming out to ensure that the others were safe,' Ratna
      Paul said."
      "'We were wetting our feet when a wave hit us,' Piuli
      said. 'My dida (Hindi for grandmother--J.T.) fell on the
      sand. I went to help her and grabbed her bag. Others
      came to help, too, but a big wave struck then and swept us
      Piuli "regained consciousness in a children's
      playground where the waters had deposited her. Piuli
      tried grabbing a bar to pull herself out of the water. 'I
      had lost all my strength,' I recalled, 'One uncle then
      helped me...out of the water.'"
      "After a long search, she found her mother and father
      near the beach. Her grandfather was located in a
      hospital" in Chennai. "But her grandmother, Bela Paul,
      73, was killed." (See USA Today for December 30, 2004,
      "Officials give up counting bodies in parts of India,"
      page 6A, and for December 28, 2004, "Survivors ask, 'What
      did we do to deserve this?' page 2A; and the Times of
      India for December 27, 2004. Many thanks to Krishnari Bai
      Dharapurnanda for the Indian newspaper material.)

      "On target for Titan, Saturn's haze-shrouded moon,
      the Huygens space probe is headed for a mystery-packed
      "The European Space Agency's Huygens lander detached
      from the international Cassini spacecraft on Christmas Eve
      (Friday, December 24, 2004) and now speeds toward Titan on
      a precise trajectory to enter the moon's orange-tinged
      "Whether the 705-pound probe will land on frozen ice,
      a methane lake or a muddy combination of both remains
      "On (Friday) January 14 (2005), Huygens' landing--the
      farthest one from Earth ever attempted by any space probe-
      -is expected to be a scientific highlight of 2005."
      "The second-largest moon in the solar system and the
      only one with a dense atmosphere, Titan fascinates
      planetary scientists. Under its dense clouds, a complex
      interplay of carbon chemistry is thought to take place,
      mirroring conditions on Earth at the birth of the solar
      "NASA scientists have pronounced themselves boggled
      by the cloudy glimpses on recent flybys, a vista of light
      and dark plateaus that mesh jaggedly, marked with hints of
      frozen lakes in radar images."
      "'Despite everything we've seen, Titan is almost as
      mysterious now as it was 15 years ago,' says Huygens chief
      scientist John Zarnecki of the United Kingdom's Open
      "Huygens will plunge into Titan's clouds at a 65-
      degree angle, hitting speeds near 13,000 miles per hour
      (20,800 kilometers per hour) and raising temperatures on
      its heat shield to more than 2,700 degrees" on the
      Fahrenheit scale.
      "'That's damn fast--a fireball entry,' says Zarnecki,
      who calls those moments 'the most terrifying' of Huygens'
      voyage from Earth to Titan."
      "After its speed drops, the probe will deploy three
      parachutes and measure the density of Titan's atmosphere.
      Scientists hope it will return at least two hours' of
      photos and data to Cassini overhead." (See USA Today for
      December 27, 2004, "Jan. 14 is a Saturn-day for Titan moon
      probe," page 7D.)

      From the UFO Files...

      A presidential inauguration is coming up on January
      20, 2005, so this might be a good time to look at some of
      the arcana in Washington, D.C. Such as the strange
      secrets of the District of Columbia's most haunted spot--
      the mansion at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, known worldwide
      as the White House.
      The White House, then known as "the President's
      House," was the first public building to be erected in
      Washington. In 1790, the Commissioners of the District
      held a competition, seeking designs for the future
      executive mansion. A prize of $500 would be awarded to
      the winning architect. Hundreds of hopeful American
      architects participated--including Thomas Jefferson, who
      submitted his design anonymously. But the Commissioners
      chose instead the blueprint of a young Irish immigrant,
      James Hoban.
      James was born in County Kilkenny, Ireland in 1758,
      the son of Edward Hoban and Martha Bayne. In 1772, he
      went to Dublin and studied architecture under Thomas
      Ivory. Eight years later, in 1780, he won a gold medal
      from the Dublin Society for his "Drawings of Brackets,
      Stairs, Roofs, etc."
      Following the end of the War of the American
      Revolution in 1783, James bought a one-way passage on a
      Dublin merchantman and sailed to Philadelphia, then the
      USA's capital and also its largest and fastest-growing
      city. On May 25, 1785, he took out an advertisement in
      the Pennsylvania Evening Herald, offering his services as
      an architect.
      Projects were a little slow coming his way, so, in
      1787, James took the advice of several friends in his
      Masonic lodge and moved to Charleston, S.C. There his
      career really caught fire. "From 1787 to 1792, he
      designed Savage's Green Theatre and a plan for an orphan
      asylum." In 1790, he designed and supervised the
      construction of Prospect Hill, the plantation house on
      Edisto Island, 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of
      On July 18, 1792, the Commission awarded James the
      $500 and invited him to "oversee and implement
      construction of the President's House."
      "Hoban based his design on the Leinster House in
      Dublin (1745-1751)...Late Georgian in style, with a giant
      portico bisecting a rectangular, three-story building, its
      facades were organized according to a traditional
      Renaissance-derived palace type with the principal story
      raised above ground, its tall windows surrounded by
      pediments marking its importance."
      The building site was nothing to write home about.
      Both the White House and Lafayette Square had been
      situated by Pierre L'Enfant in "The Barrens," a scrubland
      notable for its panoramic south-facing view of the Potomac
      Why had Hoban chosen the Leinster House for his
      model? Well, to understand the answer to that question,
      you'd have to know a little bit more about the history of
      Freemasonry in Jimmy's homeland, Ireland.
      The Leinster House is on Kildare Street in Dublin,
      just south of Temple Bar and Trinity College. The
      neighborhood sure had its share of celebrities in the
      Nineteenth Century. Living around the corner from the
      Leinster House at 61 Harcourt Street was George Bernard
      Shaw, one of the founders of the Fabian Society. At 62
      Harcourt Street lived Abraham Stoker, better known as Bram
      Stoker, the author of Dracula. At their favorite
      restaurant in Merrion Square, the wine waiter was none
      other than Alois Hitler Jr., the older half-brother of the
      German dictator and son of Austro-Hungarian customs
      official Alois Hitler, nee Schicklegruber. Alois Jr., by
      the way, was arrested and charged with bigamy by the Irish
      The man who built the Leinster House was James
      Fitzgerald, the 20th Earl of Kildare. He began
      construction in 1745, the year of the civil war in
      Scotland which culminated in the defeat of "Bonnie Prince
      Charlie" at Culloden. In 1747, James Fitzgerald married
      Emily Lennox, the daughter of Charles Lennox, the Duke of
      Richmond, and a godfather to King George II. As a result
      of this favorable marriage, James was made Viscount
      Leinster in 1749 by George II and later the Duke of
      Leinster in 1766 by George III.
      (Editor's Note: The Duke's nephew was Lord Edward
      Fitzgerald, who founded the United Irishmen and launched
      the ill-fated Illuminati uprising of 1798.)
      The Duke was also a key figure in Irish Freemasonry.
      The original lodge papers of the Knights Templar
      Kilwinning Lodge No. 75 and the Grand Master's Lodge of
      Dublin disappeared during the 1790s. However, in 1849,
      the Duke of Leinster claimed that a century earlier, on
      January 3, 1749, his great-grandad, James Fitzgerald, the
      20th Earl of Kildare, had founded the Grand Master's
      Masonic historian Robert F. Gould wrote, "The loss of
      the early records of the Grand Lodge of Ireland, though
      variously explained, has never been satisfactorily
      accounted for."
      On April 26, 1779, James Fitzgerald and Dr. George A.
      Cunningham of Dublin wrote to Thomas Arthur of Irvine,
      Scotland, Master of the Mother Lodge in Kilwinning, and
      requested permission to "form a Lodge of the same name in
      Dublin." This was the Kilwinning Lodge No. 75, also known
      as the High Knights Templar of Ireland.
      Curiously, one of James Fitzgerald's ancestors was
      involved with the original Knights Templar. According to
      The History of the Knights Templar, Maurice fitzGerald
      invited the Templars to organize banking houses in Dublin.
      A delegation of Templars under Roger le Waleis moved to
      Dublin in 1204 from the order's stronghold at Templemore
      on Ireland's southern coast. The Templar order was
      suppressed a century later in 1314.
      Reading this, your editor began to wonder if there
      were any famous Fitzgeralds in American history. The
      first one to come to mind was John E. Fitzgerald, also
      known as "Honey Fitz," who was elected the mayor of
      Boston, Mass. in 1904. "Honey Fitz" was the maternal
      grandfather of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917-
      1963). But it is not known for certain whether the
      Kennedys are directly related to the "Templar
      Nor, thanks to the missing papers, is it known if
      Edward Hoban, father of the White House architect, was a
      member of the High Knights Templar of Ireland, Kilwinning
      Lodge No. 75, whose grandmaster was James Fitzgerald, the
      Duke of Leinster.
      But it is interesting that James Hoban, a Mason,
      chose the Leinster House, the birthplace of Irish
      Freemasonry, as the model for the USA's executive mansion.
      Another weird link with Freemasonry and the Knights
      Templar came on Saturday, October 13, 1792, when a group
      of Masons, Hoban among them, laid the cornerstone of the
      White House.
      According to researcher David Ovason, "A letter
      submitted by 'a gentleman (of Philadelphia--J.T.)' offers
      the only surviving eyewitness version of the Masonic
      cornerstone laying, which was held on Saturday, October
      13, 1792, when the Georgetown Lodge No. 9 of Maryland
      gathered for the ceremony."
      The news story appeared in the Charleston City
      Gazette for November 15, 1792 and reads, in part, "On
      Saturday the 13th inst. the first stone was laid in the
      south-west corner of the president's house, in the city of
      Washington, by the Free Masons of George-town and its
      vicinity, who assembled on the occasion. The procession
      was formed at the Fountain Inn, Georgetown...The Ceremony
      was performed by brother Casaneva (a typo--it was Peter
      Casanave--J.T.), master of the lodge, who delivered an
      oration well adapted to the occasion."
      According to the Gazette, "the inscription on the
      brass plate," placed inside the cornerstone, "ran:"
      "This first stone of the President's House was laid
      the 12th day of October
      1792, and in the 17th Year of the Independence of
      the United States of America."
      George Washington, President
      Thomas Johnson
      Doctor Stewart, Commissioners
      Daniel Carroll,
      James Hoban, Architect
      Collen Williamson, Master Mason
      Vivat Respublica.

      "All those listed were Masons, with the possible
      exception of Thomas Johnson," Ovason points out in his
      book, and "the brass cornerstone plate is still where it
      was laid in 1792. It was left in place during
      refurbishments and investigations during the rebuilding of
      1948, at the express commands of President Harry S.
      Truman, who was learned in Masonic matters. After his
      initiation in Belton Lodge No. 450" of Independence,
      Missouri, "on February 9, 1909, Truman progressed to Grand
      (Editor's Note: Mr. Truman was a 33rd-degree Mason and,
      by some strange coincidence, also the 33rd president of
      the USA.)
      Over the years, the legend has grown that the White
      House cornerstone was laid on Friday, Columbus Day,
      October 12, 1792 by George Washington. Actually,
      Washington was nowhere near the federal city bearing his
      name that weekend. He was in Philadelphia.
      Nor was the cornerstone laid to commemorate the
      Tricentennial anniversary of Columbus' arrival in the
      Americas. Did Lodge No. 9 get the date wrong? Not
      likely. The cornerstone was laid to commemorate a very
      special anniversary...Black Friday...the original "Friday
      the Thirteenth"...Friday, October 13, 1307, the day the
      Knights Templar were overthrown in France.
      Exactly 485 years before Brothers Hoban and Casanave
      laid the White House cornerstone, knights loyal to King
      Philippe IV attacked Templar churches and strongholds all
      over France. It was the beginning of the end for the
      Templar order.
      Eleven months later, on September 6, 1793, "three
      Ancient York (Rite) Masons, then resident in the federal
      city, had submitted a petition, praying for a warrant to
      convene and work as Masons. These were James Hoban, C.W.
      Stephenson and Andrew Eustace. The petition was granted,
      and Hoban became Master of the newly-formed Federal Lodge
      No. 15."
      "Hoban spent the remaining forty years of his life
      working in Washington, throughout which constructing,
      rebuilding and altering the White House occupied much of
      his time."
      Amazingly, Hoban was leading a double life. Not only
      was he the founder of Washington D.C.'s first Masonic
      lodge, he was a pillar of the city's Roman Catholic
      community. "He has been credited with establishing the
      first Catholic church, St. Patrick's, in Washington in
      1792 and in 1820 served on the committee to erect St.
      Peter's Church on Capitol Hill."
      Eight years earlier, following the exposure of Adam
      Weishaupt and the Illuminati of Bavaria (southern Germany-
      -J.T.), Pope Clement VII had banned Roman Catholics from
      joining Masonic lodges, arguing that lodge membership was
      "an occasion of sin." Had Hoban been found out, he would
      have been excommunicated by the Church.
      In 1799, Hoban "married Susannah Sewell of
      Massachusetts, with whom he had several children. In 1802
      he was elected to the Washington City Council and served
      intermittently for many years. Hoban was also a member of
      the Columbian Institute, founded in 1817."
      In the summer of 1814, Admiral Cockburn landed a
      British army at Head of Elk, Maryland, and opened an
      offensive against Washington, D.C. The Americans were
      defeated at Bladensburg, Maryland, and British troops,
      under Gen. Robert Ross, occupied Washington. All of the
      federal buildings were put to the torch, including the
      White House. But, midway through the blaze, thunderclouds
      drifted in from the west, and a torrential downpour dumped
      two inches of rain on the White House. The fire was
      extinguished, and the mansion was saved.
      Immediately Hoban began work on restoring the White
      House in every detail. In this he was assisted by his
      good friend and fellow Mason, Benjamin Henry Latrobe. Six
      years earlier, Latrobe had tried to persuade President
      Thomas Jefferson to make certain "improvements" to the
      White House.
      In particular, Latrobe wanted to add two porticos to
      the White House. One on the north side, which resembled
      the entrance to a Greek temple. This is not at all
      surprising, given that Latrobe designed the original St.
      John's Church, which stands across from the White House on
      Lafayette Square and looks like the old temple of Athena
      Nike on the Acropolis. But the south side portico was to
      be completely different, a semi-circular structure
      reminiscent of an ancient solar temple.
      Hoban supervised the project, based on Latrobe's
      original 1808 design. The south portico was finished in
      1824. Hoban completed the north portico in 1829, two
      years before his death on December 8, 1831.
      It is the White House's south portico that faces the
      sun and, more importantly, the 555-foot obelisk we now
      call the Washington Monument. The obelisk stands at the
      exact center of the city, according to Ovason.
      If you were to draw a straight line from the White
      House's south portico to the Washington Monument, and then
      continue that line in the same direction, it would take
      you across the Potomac River to Alexandria, Virginia...and
      the George Washington Masonic Memorial, which is an exact
      replica of the original lighthouse that guarded the harbor
      of Alexandria, Egypt.
      The George Washington Masonic Memorial had its
      cornerstone laid on November 1, 1923. In the Roman
      Catholic calendar, November 1 is All Saints Day, but to
      the Aztecs of Mexico it was "the Day of the Dead," in
      which they honored all of the victims of the great flood
      that ended the last "world-age."
      On November 1, 1950, a group of Puerto Rican
      nationalists attacked the Blair House on Lafayette Square,
      trying to kill President Truman, who, as you'll recall,
      was a 33rd degree Mason. Was this just a coincidence? Or
      did some of those Puerto Ricans have a working knowledge
      of la Masoneria?
      Bet on it. In Washington, D.C., there is more than
      meets the all-seeing eye. (See the books The Secret
      Architecture of Our Nation's Capital by David Ovason,
      HarperCollins Publishers, New York, N.Y., 2000, pages 61,
      62, 63, 64, 408 and 409; Talisman by Graham Hancock and
      Robert Bauval, HarperCollins Publishers, Hammersmith,
      London, 2004, pages 449, 464, 465 and 473; Beautiful
      Washington D.C. by Gene Gurney, Crown Publishers Inc., New
      York, N.Y., 1969, pages 56, 57 and 58; A Guide to the
      Architecture of Washington D.C., edited by Hugh Newell
      Jacobsen, Frederick A. Praeger Publishers, New York, N.Y.,
      1965, pages 68, 69, 70 and 71; Off the Beaten Track--
      Ireland by Rosemary Evans, Globe Pequot Press, Ashbourne,
      Derbyshire, UK, 1993, pages 264 and 265; Modern Ireland
      1600-1972 by R.F. Foster, Penguin Press, London, 1988,
      pages 169, 179, 241 and 247.; and The History of
      Freemasonry, Volume 4, by Robert F. Gould, John C. Yorston
      & Co., Publishers, New York, N.Y., 1889, pages 557, 564
      and 573.)

      Welcome to 2005, readers. We're starting Volume 10
      of UFO Roundup, and I think we've come a long way since
      the Varginha case and the heady events of 1996. So off we
      go on another year of hunting for saucers, aliens,
      Bigfoot, strange mysteries, phantom panthers, ancient
      artifacts and other Fortean phenomena. Since we're
      beginning a new year, it's time to repeat the UFO Roundup
      "UFO Roundup will continue to provide attribution
      wherever possible for each item that appears in the
      "UFO Roundup will also diligently protect the
      confidentiality of UFO witnesses who are interviewed by
      our newsletter. No witness' full name or address will be
      published unless the witness gives UFO Roundup specific
      and explicit permission in writing to do so."
      "UFO Roundup pledges to give you complete and
      comprehensive coverage of the continuing drama of the
      unidentified flying object."
      See you next week!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2005 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup provided on their Web sites or in news groups,
      provided that they credit the newsletter and its editor by
      name and list the date of issue in which the item first

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      the bulletin in error, please write to: