Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 50

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor. ========================== UFO ROUNDUP Volume 9, Number 50 December 15, 2004 Editor: Joseph Trainor
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 9, Number 50
      December 15, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-Mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, at 7:23 p.m., Sandra
      Bilinski reported, "I was in my hot tub watching the skies
      for shooting stars. Very pretty at night to see them, as
      the stars are very bright to the east" of her home in
      Hamptons Bay, N.Y. (population 5,500), a town on Long
      Island 60 miles (100 kilometers) east of the borough of
      Queens in New York City.
      "As I was looking up, I saw the stars above me
      disappear," Sandra added, "I then realized there was an
      object in the sky above me. It was dark with no lights.
      I thought it was some space debris that was falling out of
      the sky, but it was moving slowly with no signs of
      friction and it wasn't falling. It traveled over my house
      for two or three seconds, and then disappeared when the
      trees blocked my view."
      "While it moved over my house, and over me, it
      rotated, but I saw no signs of an engine. It was shaped
      like a radar dish, the one with antennas and concave in
      the middle. It was dark grey or bluish and lighter at the
      edges. It appeared to be only 60 to 70 feet (18 to 21
      meters) above my house and the size of a small car. It
      had no lights, no signs of hearing an engine of any type."
      "If it made any sound, I didn't know it because I had
      the (water) jets on in the hot tub. After it passed by, I
      turned off everything in the tub and stayed in the water
      as I was afraid."
      "I went in the house and called the state police."
      "Today I called the (New York) Air National Guard and
      told them about it. I am a very sane person. I have
      never seen anything like this before, and now I can't get
      it off my mind. No one seems to be able to tell me what
      it was." (Email Form Report)


      On Tuesday, November 30, 2004, at 6:30 a.m.,
      Kimberlee Schultz was driving on Interstate Highway 405,
      the San Diego Freeway in Huntington Beach, California
      (population 185,594) when she spotted something unusual in
      the morning sky.
      "They appeared to be traveling from a southwesterly
      to a northeasterly direction," Kimberlee reported, "After
      traveling on another freeway, I couldn't see them any
      more. I was facing east, and they were southwest of my
      car. The sky was bright and clear. I noticed airplanes
      all over the sky, and the reflection of the sun would make
      them appear as a little speck, and some had a small trail
      behind them."
      "This craft was large compared to the airplanes, and
      it also had a trail. There were also two smaller crafts
      side by side in front of the large craft. The larger
      craft was at least 50 times bigger in size. The smaller
      crafts were also leaving trails of light, so I could tell
      they were moving. The smaller crafts were 100 times
      larger than the airplane specks. But seeing as how they
      appeared to hover in the sky, maybe this is why they
      appeared to be much larger."
      "Somewhat of a triangular shape on the large craft.
      But the outlines were not well-defined. It was almost a
      little blob-like. The two (smaller) crafts in front
      looked more round. This was rush hour in southern
      California on a very busy freeway."
      "I was telling a co-worker about it, and she was
      about 45 minutes northeast of where I was at the time, and
      then she saw it at around the same time. But she didn't
      see the two lights leading the larger craft. She thinks
      she may have seen it from the back, and I was seeing it
      from the side."
      Huntington Beach is about 20 miles (32 kilometers)
      southeast of City Hall in Los Angeles. (Email Form


      On Sunday, December 5, 2004, at 3 p.m., Timothy
      Bowman was driving to Brookville Lake, four miles (7
      kilometers) west of Liberty, Indiana (population 2,061) to
      take some photographs when he spotted a cluster of strange
      objects approaching from the northwest.
      "I was driving down to take some photos of a lake,
      which is about three miles or so southwest of Liberty on
      Route 101," Timothy reported, "I turned right on the
      Fearfeld Ramp road, went one mile south. Five strange,
      funny-shaped black dots appeared in the sky. I got a
      picture of it. Looked like round objects up there. I got
      some more pics in a different location at the same place."
      The UFOs "were 16,000 feet (4,800 meters) up and at a
      standstill. No speed until departure...then zip, gone!
      Never seen anything like them in my pics."
      Liberty, Ind. is on Routes 27 and 44 in Union County,
      about 75 miles (120 kilometers) east of Indianapolis.
      (Email Form Report)


      On Wednesday, December 8, 2004, at 11 p.m., Patrick
      Schirmer was walking down Harrison Street N.W. in the
      Friendship Heights section of Washington, D.C. when he saw
      a strange object approaching from the north.
      "It approached from the north and headed due south,"
      Patrick reported, "It was very low in the sky. Completely
      silent. Dark in color and definitely NOT round. It was a
      large, bat-winged craft, flat and about 20 to 30 feet (6
      to 9 meters) across. It was slow-moving, too, almost like
      a glider. It went right overhead, without making a sound,
      and continued south. It was almost like a silent glider."
      (Email Form Report)


      Has India been fighting a clandestine air war against
      UFOs since February 2004?
      Ufologist Daniel Wilson thinks so. And he claims to
      have found proof in the pages of the newspaper Times of
      Wilson says there is a definite correlation between
      the "unexplained" crashes of Indian Air Force (IAF)
      fighter jets and UFO events in the subcontinent reported
      in the media. He cites the crash of an IAF Jaguar on
      Thursday, February 26, 2004 as an example.
      That same evening, a UFO crossed the border from
      India into Pakistan and landed just outside the village of
      Chann Kalan. Three aliens were seen leaving the strange
      object by an Indian sentry, Constable Jagdish Parasad, who
      was at the Indian Border Security Force (BSF) Post
      Fatehpur at the time of the landing. Patrols by the
      Pakistani Rangers failed to find the three aliens. (For
      more on this case, see UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 9 for
      March 3, 2004, "UFO lands in Pakistan; three aliens
      sighted," page 5.)
      The same evening that UFO landed on the Pakistani
      side of the border, an IAF fighter jet crashed in India's
      Rajasthan state, Wilson reported.
      According to the Times of India, "The spate of
      crashes of IAF fighter aircraft continues unabated. In
      yet another incident, a deep-penetration strike Jaguar
      crashed in the Pokhran (mountain) range in Rajasthan on
      Thursday," February 26, 2004.
      "The pilot, Wing Commander Ravi Khanna, died in the
      "The crash came soon after a MiG-21 crashed in the
      Jamnagar area on (Friday) February 20, 2004, killing four
      people on the ground."
      "The IAF has dispatched a special investigative team
      to Pokhran because this is the second such crash within 20
      days. An IAF jet crashed in the same mountain range on
      (Saturday) February 7, 2004."
      "Both the Jaguar and the MiG-21 were practicing 'live
      bombing missions' ahead of India's biggest air power
      demonstration at the Pokhran range, (Operation) Millenium
      Vayu Shakti scheduled for March 14 (2004)."
      (Editor's Note: Elements of the U.S. Air Force also
      participated in these maneuvers over Gwalior as part of
      Operation Cope India 2004.)
      "In both crashes, as per eyewitness accounts, 'two
      flashes' were seen before both mishaps."
      "'Both crashes are being attributed to technical
      malfunction. One reason could be that the live ammunition
      being carried by the planes exploded accidentally, but the
      (IAF) courts of inquiry will be able to provide the exact
      reason,' said a source."
      "Wing Commander Khanna, who had got airborne from the
      IAF Nal air base, was flying close to the ground for the
      bombing maneuver. He apparently tried to eject safely,
      but his parachute apparently failed to open over the
      target,' he added."
      "Fighter jets in the IAF include Sukhoi Su-30s,
      Mirage 2000s, Jaguars, MiG-21s, MiG-23s and MiG-29s."
      (See the Times of India for February 27, 2004, "Technical
      snag attributed to Jaguar crash." Many thanks to Daniel
      Wilson for this news story.)


      "Farmers and tribal leaders in Nimla, a farming
      village in eastern Afghanistan, have confirmed statements
      by the Afghan government that unidentified planes have
      been spraying opium poppy fields with a toxic chemical."
      "More than a month ago, a dark plane rattled windows
      through the night as it flew back and forth, spraying a
      chemical on houses, orchards and fields, farmers and
      tribal elders said on Friday," December 4, 2004.
      "The poppy seedlings were now turning yellow. The
      crop would die, they said."
      "'People are surprised and unhappy,' said Muhammad
      Hasham, 45, a village elder whose poppy fields began dying
      after the spraying."
      "His brother, Hajji Kamaluddin Popalzai, the village
      chief, said the government had told them to stop growing
      poppies, but they were expecting some (financial)
      assistance to grow alternative crops first. 'Just coming
      and spraying, that's unfair,' he said."
      "The spraying is something of a mystery, apparently
      even to the Afghan government. Last week President Hamid
      Karzai called in the ambassadors of Britain and the United
      States, the two main donors involved in efforts to combat
      narcotics in Afghanistan, to explain the aerial spraying
      in several districts of Nangarhar province."
      "Both countries have denied any involvement,
      according to Karzai's spokesman, Jawed Ludin. But an
      Afghan government delegation sent to investigate returned
      with samples of tiny gray pellets, the size of grains of
      sugar, that were sprayed on the crops, as well as soil for
      "'The government of Afghanistan has not authorized
      any foreign entity, any foreign government, any foreign
      company, or anyone else to carry out aerial spraying,'
      Ludin said."
      "He said the Afghan government was not convinced that
      all other measures to combat narcotics had been exhausted,
      and it was also worried about the impact the chemicals
      might have on people and legitimate crops. But most
      important, he said, spraying without the government's
      authorization was an infringement of Afghanistan's
      "'This is a question of sovereignty, a question of
      being aware of what is going on in our country, and of
      course that is something that we need to take seriously,'
      Ludin said."
      "The American military has denied any involvement or
      knowledge of the spraying and on Wednesday," December 1,
      2004, "the American ambassador, Zalmay Khalilzad, denied
      contracting the job to any company or agency."
      "Afghan officials said they did not know who was
      responsible but were quick to blame the United States."
      "'The Americans control the airspace of Afghanistan,
      and not even a bird can fly without them knowing,' said
      Hajji Din Muhammad, the governor of Nangarhar, the
      province where the spraying has occurred."
      "Like the other farmers in Nimla, Hasham said he was
      growing poppy because he could not survive if he used his
      small fields to grow wheat."
      "'I have two fields,' he said, 'If I grow wheat, I
      get 30 kilos of grain'--about 60 pounds--'which is not
      enough to feed my family. If I grow opium, I can buy
      enough grain, plus cooking oil and all the other things we
      In other chemtrail news, mysterious trails of
      billowing mist were seen in the skies of Hewitt, Texas
      (population 11,085), a town on Interstate Highway I-35
      approximately 4 miles (7 kilometers) south of Waco.
      Lisa, an eyewitness, took several photos of the
      chemtrails from her home and from the playground of a
      Hewitt elementary school. She reported, "I live in
      Hewitt, Texas, which is a few miles south of Waco. It
      seems that every day around here is a 'spray day.' On
      such days, though, this stuff literally rains down from
      the sky. I've seen it hanging for miles from the light
      posts along the highway."
      "It's sad that I have to question whether my son
      should go out and play or whether to walk the dog. I've
      even thought to wear gloves to open the mailbox."
      The five photos showed thick chemtrails in the sky
      and streamers of an unknown silky, off-white, thread-like
      sustance dangling from a rural barbed wire fence. (See
      the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for December 5, 2004,
      "Mystery plane blamed for killing Afghan poppy crop," page
      8A. Also, Jeff Rense's Web page for December 6, 2004.)


      On Wednesday, December 1, 2004, at 9:15 p.m., the two
      eyewitnesses were standing on a bridge in the south side
      of Lausanne, Switzerland, overlooking Lake Geneva, when
      they spotted an unusual green object in the night sky.
      "Me and my friend were walking on a city bridge in
      Lausanne. Suddenly, we both had an impulse to look south,
      towards the lake. About 30 degrees above the lake we saw
      what appeared to be a kind of green firework."
      "We weren't much impressed, but this light continued
      to show a comet's shape, flying from east to west. It was
      big, green and glowing and left some kind of (light)
      trail. The object was silent and slow. It was unlike
      anything I had ever seen."
      "My friend said, 'Is it a rocket or a satellite?'"
      "But I had seen them before, and it didn't look like
      either of them."
      "A few days later (Saturday, December 4, 2004) I met
      another witness who described the same arc or (flight)
      path, the same colour and shape, and time. Our local
      newspaper didn't write a line about this. Whatever it
      was, it disappeared behind a building. Vanished! Evian
      (the city of Evian-les-Bains, in France's department of
      Haute-Savoie--J.T.) is on the other side of the lake and
      saw nothing. Now I am even more convinced that we are not
      alone. If you have any pictures of it, please contact me
      by email." (Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive
      director of Skywatch International, for this news story.)


      "Apparitions of Jesus have appeared on walls and in
      churches. Now, in Arizona, a patient at a dentist's
      office has seen one on an X-ray."
      "The dentist and staff at a Phoenix, Ariz. dentist's
      office agree that the X-ray's unusual content or image
      resembles Jesus."
      "The patient came in for a routine exam on Tuesday
      (November 30, 2004), and, when the X-ray was developed, he
      (the dentist--J.T.) saw the image of Jesus."
      "The patient described himself as a 'devout
      Christian' but says he's never before seen Jesus on an X-
      "By the way, the patient's (dental) exam was
      perfect." (See the Arizona Republic for December 6, 2004,
      "Jesus appears in dental X-ray." Many thanks to Steve
      Wilson Sr. for this newspaper article.)


      Yet another strange earthquake rattled Hokkaido,
      Japan's large northern island, last week, causing little
      damage but leaving local residents baffled.
      "A strong earthquake shook northern Japan, injuring
      two people but causing no serious damage. Japan's
      Meteorological Agency said" the earthquake, which had a
      magnitude of 7.0 on the Richter scale, "was centered 35
      miles (58 kilometers) off the coast of Hokkaido."
      The earthquake, which occurred on Monday, December 6,
      2004, "was the second sizable one to strike Hokkaido in
      the past week. On (Monday) November 29 (2004), a 7.1-
      magnitude temblor struck Hokkaido, injuring 24 people."
      During October 2004, "a 6.8 magnitude quake in the
      Niigata region" of Hokkaido "killed 40 people and injured
      Commenting on the latest quake, Angela Tarohachi, UFO
      Roundup correspondent in Japan, wrote, "Hokkaido has
      suffered an unprecedented series of major earthquakes.
      Joe, if any of your New Age friends have any idea why this
      is happening, please don't keep it a secret. People in
      Japan would like to know what's going on." (See the
      newspaper Asahi Shimbun for December 7, 2004, "Two hurt in
      the latest Hokkaido earthquake." Many thanks to Angela
      Tarohachi for forwarding this newspaper article.)


      "Excavators discovered 20 gilded mummies in the
      Bahariya oasis in western Egypt, the government's Council
      of Antiquities said Tuesday," December 7, 2004.
      "The find brings the total number of gilded mummies--
      recovered in the 2,000-year-old cemetery" at the oasis "to
      "The site, known as the Valley of the Golden Mummies,
      was discovered in 1996."
      "Fifty bronze coins were also found with the mummies.
      Archaeologists believe the money was left with the
      deceased to pay for the trip to the afterlife." (See USA
      Today for December 8, 2004, "More finds in Egypt's 'Golden
      Mummy' site," page 8D.)



      Peter Hassall of New Zealand writes, "In UFO Roundup,
      volume 9, number 47 (for November 24, 2004--J.T.), there
      is the following comment:"
      "'Following Eyes Wide Shut, Tom Cruise starred in the
      film The Last Samurai. During the making of this film,
      Cruise was nearly decapitated when a katanna (samurai
      sword--J.T.) came within an inch of his neck. Was it just
      an accident?'"
      "This whole accident/incident has been blown totally
      out of proportion by the media. The swordsman doing the
      move was an expert and repeatedly did it to within a
      fraction of an inch of the same spot every time. Cruise
      wasn't even touched. The film's publicists just saw a
      chance to get mileage out of something that was really
      nothing. Storm in a teacup."
      And concerning the rash on actress Nicole Kidman's
      hands, which was reported in the November 23, 2004 issue
      of The National Enquirer, Peter added, "Why would a rash
      many months later have anything to do with the earlier
      film? There could be any number of causes for the rash.
      I note Nicole Kidman has had no near-miss accidents that
      were life-threatening."


      Concerning UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 48 for
      December 1, 2004, "Mystery booms heard in Richmond,
      Virginia," page 5, Ben Moss writes, "This in fact was a
      teenager making percussion-type devices that produced a
      shock wave. Mystery solved."

      From the UFO Files...

      1778: LAFAYETTE IN

      Among the USA's Founding Fathers, Marie-Joseph Paul
      Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette, had
      a definite penchant for the paranormal. During his short
      sojourn in Rhode Island, the smallest of the USA's fifty
      states, Lafayette managed to visit a number of intriguing
      sites in the Ocean State.
      Lafayette was first initiated into Freemasonry while
      still a student at a French military school. According to
      Dossiers de l'histoire mysterieuse, "After the death of
      (philosopher Claude) Helvetius in 1771, his wife, Anne
      Catherine Helvetius, joined forces with (Joseph) Lalande
      and (L'Abbe Cordier de) Saint-Fermin in the creation of
      the" Loge des Neufs Soeurs. (Translated: Lodge of the Nine
      Sisters--J.T.) Her own elite salon in the Rue Sainte Anne
      in Paris was famous throughout Europe..."
      "Not surprisingly, (Benjamin) Franklin was a regular
      visitor to Mme. Helvetius's salon. Another was the
      Marquis de Lafayette, a young officer in the French army.
      Lafayette belonged to a Masonic lodge, Le Contrat Social
      (Translated: The Social Contract--J.T.) which was linked
      to other important lodges throughout France. Notable
      amongst these was the lodge La Societe Olympique
      (Translated: The Olympian Society--J.T.), with its
      membership of young officers such as the Count de
      Chambrun, the Count-Admiral de Grasse, the Count-Admiral
      d'Estaing (ancestor of recent French prime minister,
      Valery Giscard d'Estaing--J.T.) and the buccaneer John
      Paul Jones--all of whom would fight for the American cause
      a few years later."
      Among the Olympians, as well, were Lafayette's
      brother-in-law, Viscount Louis de Noailles, and his close
      friend, Count Philippe de Segur, who were fellow cadets at
      the military school. All three met again in Rhode Island
      when the French fleet landed at Newport in July 1780. (See
      UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 49 for December 8, 2004,
      "1653: Mysterious tower in Newport, R.I.," page 13.)
      In June 1778, George Washington sent Lafayette to
      Rhode Island to assist Gen. John Sullivan in the coming
      American offensive against Newport, which had been under
      British occupation since December 1776. But the two-day
      battle, fought at Portsmouth, R.I. on August 28 and 29,
      1778, was a defeat for the Americans, and Newport remained
      in British hands.
      Following the battle, Lafayette boarded for a time
      with the Reynolds family, who owned a three-story house at
      956 Hope Street in Bristol, R.I. "Mrs. Reynolds was
      informed of the approach of her guest and made suitable
      preparations for his reception. More than an hour before
      the time appointed for Lafayette's coming, a young
      Frenchman rode up to the house and, dismounting, tied his
      horse to a tree which stood nearby."
      "Mrs. Reynolds thought he was one of the general's
      attendants, so she sent her Negro servant, Cato, to
      conduct him to a room designed for the subordinate
      officers. The young man expressed a desire for something
      to eat and was seated at the table prepared for his
      commander, though his hostess wondered that he could not
      control his appetite until a more appropriate hour."
      "The officer ate heartily of the dinner placed before
      him, but sat so long at the table that Mrs. Reynolds was
      forced to remind him that his general was momentarily
      expected. To her amazement, the young man announced that
      he was the visitor whose arrival the household was
      Another of the marquis's temporary homes was a large,
      two-story frame house built in 1735. Today it's called
      the Lafayette House, and it's just off Route 126 in
      Tiverton, R.I., on the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay.
      A third was the farmhouse at 23 Broad Street in
      Warren, R.I., a Georgian house built in 1750.
      In 1780, George Washington named Lafayette as his
      liaison officer between the French and American forces.
      When Admiral le Chevalier de Ternay's fleet sailed into
      Narragansett Bay, "Gilbert," as Lafayette was known to his
      friends, had mixed feelings. Four years earlier, he had
      defied a direct order from King Louis XVI by sailing to
      the USA aboard the Victoire. The moment he stepped onto
      the deck of the admiral's flagship, he would be on French
      soil. How would he be received?
      If Admiral de Ternay had had a lettre de cachet from
      the French king, Lafayette would have been clapped into
      irons the moment he stepped aboard. The next stop
      would've been Paris. And Lafayette would have finished
      his days in the Bastille, playing chess with celebrity
      prisoners like the Count de Solages.
      To his relief, Admiral de Ternay greeted him warmly,
      telling him, "You will command our troops in Newport until
      the Count de Rochambeau arrives."
      From his brother-in-law, the Viscount de Noailles,
      Lafayette learned that, far from being considered an
      eccentric fugitive, he was being acclaimed throughout
      Europe as France's foremost soldier-of-fortune.
      (Editor's Note: Also in Newport at this time was a then-
      obscure Swedish officer, Count Axel Fersen, who became
      famous 15 years later as the lover of Queen Marie
      During their off-duty hours, Lafayette and Louis de
      Noailles took the opportunity to explore Rhode Island.
      They were guests at the house of Colonel James Varnum at
      57 Peirce Street in East Greenwich, R.I. Varnum had
      organized the Kentish Guards, a militia made up of 56
      farmers of Kent County, in the summer of 1774. This unit
      eventually became the Second Rhode Island Regiment of the
      Continental Army (forerunner of the U.S. Army--J.T.).
      Varnum, who in 1810 became a Master of King Solomon's
      Lodge in East Greenwich, entertained his French guests
      with the folklore tales of the area. In particular, Louis
      de Noailles was interested in the fate of "Frenchtown."
      In the Seventeenth Century, following the revocation
      of the Edict of Nantes, several Huguenot familes had fled
      France and settled in the woods along Hunt's River (now
      the boundary between East Greenwich and North Kingstown,
      R.I.--J.T.) However, land disputes in 1671 resulted in
      many of the original French settlers moving away.
      At his brother-in-law's urging, Lafayette rode out to
      Frenchtown and visited the Le Moine family, one of those
      who remained. Given their interest in Masonic lore, it's
      possible that Lafayette and de Noailles were looking for
      Knights Templar who might have left France along with the
      band of Huguenot refugees.
      Their next stop was three miles north of the Varnum
      House, on Route 115 in the Apponaug section of Warwick,
      just west of Centerville Road on Hardig Brook--the ruins
      of John Micarter's old woolen mill. The mill was built in
      1693 and stood on the site of the farmhouse once owned by
      Susannah Stukeley.
      Susannah was known as "the Witch of Apponaug" and
      created a minor stir in Providence in 1667 when her book,
      Ye Woman's Almanack, was published. Not only did it offer
      jonnycake recipes and holistic herbal healing, the text
      presented "disasters yet to come," everything from the
      hurricane of 1779 to the "monstrous tavern fire of Natick"
      (now West Warwick--J.T.) of the year 2002. Copies of
      Susannah's "impious and unseemly" book were publicly
      burned on the Providence town wharf by Pardon Tillinghast
      When not playing Nostradamus, Susannah frequently
      entertained indigenous people from all over the
      northeastern USA. Many times on a summer night, the
      Baptists of Apponaug would shudder at the sound of the
      spirit drum and the chant of the wisdom singers. Strange
      cries shook the night when the bonfire burned its
      brightest. "Yeo-Notwaisha! Yeo-Notwaisha!" (In the
      language of the Ganegahaga-ono, or Mohawk Indians, it
      means Spirit Woman--J.T.)
      Imagine the horror and excitement in Apponaug in 1692
      when the first tales of witchcraft in Salem Village (now
      Danvers, Mass.--J.T.) reached the shores of Narragansett
      Bay. Tituba (pronounced Titch-you-bah--J.T.), a slave of
      African descent born on the island of Barbados in the
      Caribbean, made the colossal mistake of teaching simple
      spells to the daughters of Salem's minister, touching off
      a "witch hunt" that claimed the lives of 19 townspeople.
      Susannah Stukeley was curiously unperturbed by the
      flap in Salem Village. In a conversation with Randall
      Holden, she remarked, "Obeah...Damballah...cut a chicken's
      head off. Twaddle! I could show you a ritual of Yog-
      Sothoth that would turn Tituba white with terror."
      (Editor's Note: Susannah Stukeley disappeared from
      Apponaug in the summer of 1692, during the height of "the
      Witchcraft." Another feature story we'll have to do some
      During their next trip to Frenchtown, Lafayette and
      de Noialles visited "The Old French Orchards," the site of
      the original 1667 Huguenot settlement, half a mile west of
      the Le Moine farm, and then the queer stone ruins known as
      "Queen's Fort," two more miles (3.2 kilometers) to the
      "Queen's Fort" was "named for the Indian squaw sachem
      (warrior queen--J.T.) Matantuck or Quaiapen. The fort is
      a low wall of rocks piled together on a hilltop straddling
      the North Kingstown-Exeter boundary line. Surrounded by
      timber and huge rocks, it is unapproachable from the south
      owing to the many immense boulders with which the hill is
      strewn; access to the other approaches is also difficult
      owing to the steepness of the hillside. Many boulders lie
      within the fort, and beneath some are excavations large
      enough to shelter several people."
      "The Queen's Chamber, a little outside the fort to
      the west, is a large opening beneath a huge pile of rocks.
      The floor is covered with a white sand, and the entrance
      is so hidden as to be unnoticed a few feet away. It is
      believed that an Indian known as 'Stonewall John,' who had
      learned the mason's trade, assisted in the construction of
      this fort. It was not taken by white soldiers in warfare,
      but was abandoned in 1676, after the Narragansett Indians
      had been decimated by King Philip's War."
      The ruins got the name "Queen's Fort" because the
      main village of Quaiapen and her son, Scuttape, was at
      Bassokutoquage, just off Route 102, about three miles (4.8
      kilometers) away. No one really knows who built these
      ruins. I've heard the structure attributed to everybody
      from Murom bora Ballin of Atlantis to the Celts of 3,000
      B.C. to Stonewall John. But having visited the site
      myself in 1993, I tend to lean towards the Templar
      explanation. The hilltop ruins have the look and feel of
      a medieval European redoubt. If it was built by the
      original Templar refugees in 1307 or by Henry Sinclair in
      1398, that would explain the medieval layout.
      Lafayette had a strange affinity for staying
      overnight at buildings dating from the Seventeenth
      Century. Whenever he rode to Boston, he made a point of
      staying not in Providence but across the town line in
      Pawtucket, R.I., at the Old Pidge Tavern.
      The tavern, located at 586 Pawtucket Avenue, "is
      traditionally supposed to have been built by the Sayles
      family in 1640. If true, this legend makes it the oldest
      house in" Rhode Island. "Two-and-a-half stories high, it
      is rectangular in plan with a red-brick chimney, off-
      center, straddling the roof ridge. It is supposed that
      the tavern had previously been square with a stone
      chimney, and that in 1767 it was lengthened to its present
      In the cellar, you find Seventeenth Century
      stonework, which, as Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937)
      wrote, was "thrillingly suggestive of Andros and Phipps
      and the Witchcraft."
      "During the (American) Revolution, when the French
      troops were encamped nearby, General Lafayette occupied
      two rooms on the second floor. On his return to America
      in 1824, he stopped here again on his way to Boston."
      Another old house favored by Lafayette was the
      Clemence-Irons House at 38 George Waterman Road (Route
      128) in Johnston, R.I. "Thomas Clemence, a friend of (the
      colony's founder) Roger Williams, officially bought this
      property from the Indians on January 9, 1654, although
      according to the tax records, he had been living on the
      site since 1650. Clemence, who was a constable and held
      several political offices throughout his career, was one
      of twenty-seven men who stayed to defend Johnston, R.I.
      during King Philip's War in 1676. It is believed that the
      original house, built in 1650, was burned at that time,
      and the 'new house' seen today was constructed around the
      stone-end chimney by 1680."
      The Clemence House is unique because of its
      stonework. "It is noticeable that whereas most of these
      old chimneys are carried up beyond the first story with
      brick, this one is entirely of stone." Indeed, stonework
      abounds at the old Clemence House, and all of it dates
      back to 1650...or perhaps even earlier.
      According to his biographer S.T. Joshi, in 1936, H.P.
      Lovecraft received an invitation from the owner of the
      Clemence House, Miss Ellen E. Irons (1855-1937) to come
      and visit. Since it's unlikely that old Miss Irons, 81,
      was a reader of Weird Tales, most probably she had heard
      about Lovecraft's interest in old houses from other Rhode
      Islanders and had mailed him the invitation.
      Despite the illness that would take his life in March
      1937, Lovecraft hurried out to the Manton section of
      Johnston in the summer of 1936 and toured the old house as
      the guest of Miss Irons. In a letter he wrote to Edward
      H. Cole on August 15, 1936, HPL waxed enthusiastic about
      the Seventeenth Century features at the Clemence House,
      including that strange bricked-up well, adding, "In the
      yard the old well-sweep still remains--one of the
      relatively few left in this colony."
      (Editor's Note: In his 1926 short story, "Pickman's
      Model," HPL wrote about a similar bricked-up well in the
      basement of a moldering house in Boston's North End. Some
      have speculated that he based his "something queer in the
      cellar" on the Clemence-Irons House. But this is
      impossible as he did not visit the house, which had been
      in the Irons family for five generations, until 1936--ten
      years after the story appeared in Weird Tales. Obviously,
      HPL had seen another such well elsewhere in New England.)
      Lafayette and Lovecraft--that's two world-famous
      occultists who have made the pilgrimage to the Clemence-
      Irons House. Kind of makes you wonder what the big
      attraction is, doesn't it?
      If ever you visit the Clemence House, whatever you
      do, don't open that well. You wouldn't want to let the
      Dholes out. (See the books Talisman by Graham Hancock and
      Robert Bauval, HarperCollins Publishers, London, UK, 2004,
      pages 14, 19, 21, 22, 23, 385, 386 and 400; Rhode Island:
      A Guide to the Smallest State, Houghton Mifflin Co.,
      Boston, Mass., 1937, pages 189, 251, 322, 327, 368, 369,
      421 and 459; Rhode Island: An Historical Guide by Sheila
      Steinberg and Cathleen McGuigan, Rhode Island Bicentennial
      Foundation, 1976, pages 72, 98 and 161; and The Annotated
      H.P. Lovecraft, edited by S.T. Joshi, Bantam Doubleday
      Dell Publishing, New York, N.Y. 1997, page 65.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us next week for
      more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you then!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.