Re: [UFOnet] Fwd: [UASR]> "This Navy sighting was dynamite"

  • Tom H.
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2004
      From: Frits Westra
      Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 23:54
      Subject: [UFOnet] Fwd: [UASR]> "This Navy sighting was dynamite"

      ------- Forwarded message -------
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      Subject: [UASR]> "This Navy sighting was dynamite"
      Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:29:24 -0700

      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
      [U A S R]> UFOs-, ALIENs-, SPACE- RESEARCH MAILING LIST <[U A S R]
      ^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

      [Fat-fingered after working the graveyard shift, therefore typos may
      pop up. -Terry]

      Flying Saucer Review, Volume 49/2, Summer 2004, pp. 21-23
      Established 1955
      < http://www.fsr.org.uk >

      "This Navy sighting was dynamite"

      From the NICAP records, by Major Donald E. Keyhoe

      It was early in '59 when I learned of this hidden report -- a startling
      encounter with a UFO. The lead came in a brief message from Admiral
      Delmar S. Fahrney, former Navy missile chief, whom I had known for years.

      "Captain James Taylor, USN, Ret., has an important UFO sighting made by a
      naval pilot and his crew. Call him at Spacetronics, Inc., in Washington,
      District 7-9481."

      That night, when Captain Taylor gave me this dramatic Navy report, I could
      see why it had never been released to the public. Later, Admiral Fahrney
      and I met at the Army-Navy Club and discussed the details. Fahrney knew,
      as well as I did, of other hidden UFO cases -- some of them highly
      significant. But this one stood out in importance.

      It had happened in 1956. Cruising at 19,000 feet, a Navy R7V-2 transport
      --
      a four-engine Super-Constellation -- was flying west across the Atlantic
      Ocean. The next stop was Gander, Newfoundland. Final destination, Naval

      The night was clear, visibility unlimited. In the senior pilot's seat,
      Commander George Benton was checking the dim-lit instruments. At
      thirty-four,
      Benton had a decade of Navy flying behind him. He had made the Atlantic
      crossing more than two hundred times. Back in the cabin were two extra
      Navy air crews, enroute home from foreign duty. Most of these men were
      asleep. Including Benton's regular and relief crews, there were nearly
      30 airmen-pilots, navigators and flight engineers aboard the Constellation.

      As Commander Benton finished his cockpit check, he glanced out at the
      stars.
      Then he leaned forward, puzzled. A few minutes before, the sea below had
      been dark. Now there was a cluster of lights, like a village, about
      twenty-five miles ahead.

      Benton looked over at his co-pilot, Lieutenant Peter J. Mooney. "What do
      you make of those lights?" Mooney peered down, startled.

      "Looks like a small town!"

      "That's what I thought." Benton quickly called the navigator, Lieutenant
      Alfred C. Erdman. "We must be way off course. There's land down there."
      "It can't be land." Erdman hurried forward from his map table. "That last
      star sight shows---" He broke off, staring down at the clustered lights.
      "Well?" said Benton. "They must be ships," said Erdman. "Maybe a
      rendezvous
      for some special operation."

      *Giant Flying Saucers*

      "They don't look like ships," said Benton. He called Radioman John
      Wiggins.
      No word of any unusual ship movements, Wiggins reported. And no signals
      from
      the location of the lights. If they were ships, they were keeping radio
      silence. "Wake up those other crews," Benton told Erdman. "Maybe somebody
      can dope it out." In a few moments, two or three airmen crowded into the
      cockpit. Benton cut off the automatic pilot, banked to give them and the
      men
      in the cabin a better view.

      As the transport began to circle, the strange lights abruptly dimmed. Then
      several colored rings appeared, began to spread out. One, Benton noticed,
      seemed to be growing in size. Behind him, someone gave an exclamation.
      Benton took another look. That luminous ring wasn't on the surface -- it
      was something rushing up toward the transport.

      "What the devil is it?" said Mooney. "Don't know," muttered Benton. He
      rolled the Constellation out of its turn to start a full-power climb. Then
      he saw it was useless. The luminous ring could catch them in seconds.

      The glow, he now saw, came from the rim of some large, round object. It
      reached their altitude, swiftly took shape as a giant disc-shaped machine.

      Dwarfing the Constellation, it raced in toward them. "It's going to hit
      us!"
      said Erdman. Benton had known normal fear, but this was nightmare.
      Numbed,
      he waited for the crash.

      Suddenly the giant disc tilted. Its speed sharply reduced, it angled on
      past
      the port wing. The commander let out his breath. He looked at Mooney's
      white
      face, saw the others' stunned expressions. Watching out the port window,
      he
      cautiously started to bank. He stopped as he saw the disc.

      It had swung around, was drawing abreast, pacing them at about one hundred
      yards. For a moment he had a clear glimpse of the monster. Its sheer bulk
      was amazing; its diameter was three to four times the Constellation's wing
      span. At least thirty feet thick at the center, it was like a gigantic
      dish
      inverted on top of another. Seen at this distance, the glow along the rim
      was blurred and uneven. Whether it was an electrical effect, a series of
      jet exhausts or lights from opening in the rim, Benton could not tell. But
      the glow was bright enough to show the disc's curving surface, giving a
      hint
      of dully reflecting metal.

      Though Benton saw no signs of life, he had a feeling they were being
      observed.
      Fighting an impulse to dive away, he held to a straight course.
      Gradually, the
      strange machine pulled ahead. Tilting its massive shape upward, it quickly
      accelerated and was lost against the stars.

      Commander Benton reached for his microphone, called Gander Airport and
      identified himself. "You show any other traffic out here?" he asked the
      tower. "We had something on the scope near you," Gander told him. "But we
      couldn't get an answer."

      "We saw it," Benton said grimly. "It was no aircraft." He gave the tower
      a concise report, and back at Gander teletype messages were rushed to the
      U.S. Air Defense Command, the Commanding Officer, Eastern Sea Frontier, the
      Director of Air Force Intelligence and the Air Technical Intelligence
      Center.

      When the Constellation landed at Gander, Air Force intelligence officers
      met
      the transport. From the start, it was plain they accepted the giant disc
      sighting as fact. For two hours, Benton and the rest were carefully
      interrogated[debriefed], separately and together: How close did the object
      come? What was its size . . . estimated rate of climb . . . any electrical
      interference noted . . . what happened to the other luminous rings?

      From the answers to scores of questions, the majority opinion emerged. The
      flying disc was between 350 and 400 feet in diameter, and apparently
      metallic.
      No interference with ignition noted; instruments not observed and radio not
      operating during this brief period. Time for the giant disc to climb to
      the
      transport's altitude, between five and eight seconds, indicated speed
      between
      1,400 and 2,200 knots; the disc had accelerated above this speed on
      departure.

      Not all the men in the cabin had seen the luminous rings. Of those who
      had,
      most were watching the huge disc approach and did not see the "rings"
      disappear. If they, too, were flying discs, in a rendezvous as some
      suggested, they apparently had raced off while the other one was checking
      on the Constellation.

      At one point, an Intelligence captain asked Benton if he had seen any
      indication of life abroad the disc.

      *"Intelligently controlled"*

      "No, but it was intelligently controlled, that's certain. Benton looked at
      him closely. "That size, it would hardly be remote-controlled, would it?"
      "I couldn't say," replied the Air Force man. Nor would he tell what the
      Gander Airport radar had shown about the disc's speed and maneuvers.
      "What's behind all this?" demanded Mooney. "Up to now, I believed the
      Air Force. You people say there aren't any flying saucer---"

      "Sorry, I can't answer any questions," said the captain. "Why not? After
      a scare like that, we've got a right to know what's going on." The
      Intelli-
      gence officer shook his head. "I can't answer any questions," he repeated.

      As quickly as possible, intelligence reports with full details were flashed
      to the four Defense commanders already notified, with an extra message for
      the Director of Naval Intelligence. After the Constellation reached
      Patuxent, the air crews were interviewed[debriefed] again, by Navy order.
      Each man made a written report, with his opinion of what he had seen.

      Five days later, Commander Benton had a phone call from a scientist in a
      high government agency. "I'm informed you had a close-up UFO sighting.
      I'd like to see you."

      Benton checked, found the man was cleared by the Navy. Next day, the
      scientist appeared, showed his credential, listened intently to Benton's
      report. Then he unlocked a dispatch case and took out some photographs.

      "Was it like any of these?" At the third picture, Benton stopped him.
      "That's it!" He looked sharply at the scientist. "Somebody must know
      the answers, if you've got photographs of the things." The other man
      took the pictures. "I'm sorry, Commander." He closed his dispatch
      case and left.

      At the time when I (Donald Keyhoe) learned of this case, I had served
      for two years as Director of the National Investigations Committee on
      Aerial Phenomena.

      ufonet-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      further investigation.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor