UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 48

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 9, Number 48
      December 1, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masiniagan@...
      Website: htp://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      ANOTHER FIGHTER JET
      CRASHES IN INDIA

      "An Indian Air Force (IAF) jet crashed Monday night,"
      November 8, 2004, "the third French-built airplane
      involved in a crash since September (2004), officials
      said."
      "They said the jet went off military radar 'almost
      immediately' after taking off around 8:40 p.m. from the
      central Indian Air Force base at Gwalior and then crashed
      in a dense forest nearby."
      "'The aircraft seems to have caught fire after
      gaining altitude,' an IAF source told Agence France Presse
      in New Delhi," India's capital.
      "Rescuers rushed to the site to assist its lone
      pilot."
      The jet interceptor was a Dassault Mirage 2000, the
      aircraft used by the IAF's front-line fighter squadrons.
      "On (Tuesday) October 12 (2004), an Indian Air Force
      Mirage 2000 went down during joint maneuvers with the
      Singapore Air Force after the pilot lost control due to
      technical problems."
      "Another Mirage 2000 crashed near Gwalior after
      losing its nosewheel in mid-air on (Thursday) September 23
      (2004)."
      "An Indian Defence Ministry official said the latest
      crash was 'bewildering.'"
      "'We are really at a loss to figure out why we are
      now losing Mirage planes. They have been a reliable
      fighter plane since we began ordering them (in 1985--
      J.T.),' the official said, speaking on conditions of
      anonymity."
      The following day, India's newspapers reported that
      the pilot had not survived the crash. He was Flight Lt.
      Neehar Gururani, a career IAF officer reputed to be
      "India's Top Gun."
      "With the death of Flight Lt. Neehar Gururani last
      night, the IAF has lost its second pilot in a Mirage 2000
      jet crash."
      "Gururani's aircraft hit the ground about 80
      kilometers (50 miles) from IAF Gwalior on Tuesday. With
      this crash, the IAF has lost six Mirage 2000 jets so far--
      three of them during the past two months alone."
      (Editor's Note: To say nothing of the IAF MiG-21 that
      went down in the western desert near Bikaner on Monday,
      November 1, 2004. See UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 46
      for November 17, 2004, "A shootdown in India?" page 1.)
      "IAF Vice-Chief Air Marshal S.K. Malik said today
      (Wednesday, November 10, 2004) that preliminary evidence
      shows the pilot may have been 'disoriented' due to the
      darkness, so there was no reason to suspect technical or
      engine failure. Initial reports Monday night had said the
      pilot was safe, but then the rescue teams reached the site
      and found Gururani's body."
      (Editor's Comment: So India's Top Gun became
      'disoriented,' eh? Riiiiight! And if you believe that,
      you probably think it happens to Chuck Yeager, too.)
      "The IAF sent its Director-General of Flight
      Inspection and Safety, Air Marshal P.S. Ahluwalia, to
      probe the reason behind the recent series of Mirage
      crashes."
      "'The crashes have been surprising indeed. The
      Mirage continues to be our finest fighter,' Malik said."
      A spokesman for Dassault, the French firm that built
      the aircraft, said, "We are waiting for a final report
      from the IAF on the crash. From the information that we
      have received, it seems possible that the pilot was
      disoriented; which is why he may not have pushed the panic
      button."
      Gururani was part of a two-plane formation that took
      off from IAF Gwalior. His wingman "sounded an alert when
      Gururani did not respond to radio inquiries and
      disappeared from the radar screen. When the second pilot
      failed to contact Gururani, he retraced his flight path to
      find a ball of fire on the ground."
      "The dead pilot is the son of IAF Air Marshal S.
      Gururani, who retired in 1997 as the commander of IAF
      Maintenance Command."
      "Malik said, 'We have seen his fitness reports. He
      was a good pilot and an enthusiastic boy. It is rather
      unnerving that this has happened.'"
      "The IAF has ordered ten more Mirages to make up for
      the crash losses, and an additional squadron is expected
      to arrive by year's end. The Defence Ministry is also
      considering Qatar's offer of ten of its own Mirages."
      "In the October 12 (2004) crash, (the engine's)
      turbine blades came loose. The pieces are now at the
      National Metalurgical Laboratory in Jamshedpur for tests.
      After this, they will be sent to the Dassault factory in
      France for examination."
      Indian ufologists are questioning why Gururani's
      Mirage descended to 900 meters (3,000 feet) before
      disappearing from military radar.
      Ufologist Daniel Wilson is now comparing UFO reports
      from India and Pakistan with news accounts of jet crashes
      in the subcontinent, to see if there's any correlation.
      "Until Daniel brought it up, we had not considered
      the possibility of a clandestine air war. But India has
      lost six Mirages and one MiG-21," said Krishnari Bai
      Dharapurnanda, UFO Roundup correspondent in India. "A
      Mirage was lost on September 23 (2004). This was at the
      same time many UFOs were seen over Himachal Pradesh (the
      Himalayas--J.T.) and there were reports of aliens building
      a base in the mountains overlooking the upper Sutlej River
      valley."
      Gwalior is in India's Madhya Pradesh state
      approximately 300 kilometers (180 miles) south-southeast
      of New Delhi. (See the newspaper Indian Express for
      November 10, 2004, "Another Mirage 2000 military jet
      crashes." Many thanks to Daniel Wilson and Krishnari Bai
      Dharapurnanda for this newspaper article.)

      THREE LARGE UFOs SEEN
      OVER PAKISTAN'S CAPITAL

      On Monday, November 8, 2004, at 5:10 p.m.--just a few
      hours before Flight Lt. Neehar Gururani's Mirage 2000 went
      down in central India--three large luminous UFOs were seen
      by a family in Islamabad, the capital of neighboring
      Pakistan.
      The witness, a 41-year-old Pakistani woman, reported,
      "I noticed three moving objects in the sky as I sat in my
      house. I quickly ran outside onto my terrace and called
      my children, a 15-year-old and a 5-year-old. The three
      objects were gliding towards the east and going higher and
      higher. I ran and got a digital camera, but for some
      reason I could not see the object through the (camera's)
      lens. Finally, I got a photo."
      "The objects were brownish with protuberances but, as
      they got higher, they formed an L-shaped formation and
      became round in shape. When I zeroed in with the camera's
      telephoto lens, I saw that two of the objects were
      triangular in shape and one was egg-shaped. I am the 41-
      year-old mother of three children." (Many thanks to
      Daniel Wilson for this report.)

      MYSTERIOUS JET CRASH
      AT AREA 51 IN NEVADA

      A U.S. Navy jet crashed near Area 51 in Nevada in
      early November.
      "A Virginia Beach-based F/A-18 Hornet crashed near
      Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada shortly after takeoff
      Tuesday," November 9, 2004.
      "The pilot ejected and was rescued by a U.S. Air
      Force rescue crew. He is listed in good condition at the
      Nellis base hospital."
      "His identification is not being released, the Navy
      said."
      "The crash took place about 15 miles (25 kilometers)
      north of the sprawling base (just west of the Moapa River
      Indian Reservation--J.T.) just outside Las Vegas, Nev.
      (population 478,434). The aircraft impacted in a
      sparsely-populated (desert) area. No one on the ground
      was injured."
      "The plane was assigned to the 'Wildcats' of Strike
      Fighter Squadron 131, based at Oceana Naval Air Station in
      Virginia Beach, Va., said Mike Maus, a spokesman for the
      Atlantic Fleet Naval Air Force in Norfolk, Va."
      The crashed F/A-18 Hornet "was participating in an
      exercise with the Air Force Weapons School at Nellis, he
      said." (See the Virginia Pilot of Virginia Beach, Va. for
      November 10, 2004, "Pilot safe after Beach-based jet
      crashes in Nev." Many thanks to Daniel Wilson for this
      newspaper article.)

      HEAVY UFO ACTIVITY
      REPORTED IN MEXICO

      "A large UFO resembling an organic creature was
      recorded on video over Mexico City as it expelled strange
      spheres from several tentacles."
      According to Mexican ufologist Jaime Maussan, "On
      (Wednesday) October 27 (2004), to be exact, a giant object
      was videtaped and photographed over Mexico City. It was
      very impressive and launched spheres."
      "This is an inexplicable phenomenon," Maussan added,
      "It's as though it were an organic being with several
      tentacles, and some of these tentacles were putting forth
      spheres. We called in an expert to see if it could have
      been some sort of balloon, but he said no."
      Maussan "revealed that an air traffic controller at
      the city's airport calculated that the object was flying
      at over 3,000 meters (10,000 feet), which means that, in
      order for it to be picked up by a (ground-based) camera,
      its diameter should have been between 300 and 400 meters
      (1,000 and 1,330 feet), making this a highly strange and
      extraordinary event."
      "He added that the object made a series of impressive
      maneuvers, that it braided itself and stretched but was
      always surrounded by a series of red and blue spheres that
      appeared to be stuck to the (larger) object's sides."
      "'If it's an organic being, where did it come from?
      How did it get here? That's inside the spheres that it is
      ejecting? Is this some sort of invasion? Or are we being
      monitored?'" Maussan asked.
      "Maussan said that the images were supplied by Arturo
      Robles Gil, a professional photographer, who also managed
      to record it with a camcorder. For this reason, the
      images are very clear."
      Robles Gil "revealed that at first they debated on
      whether it could be a balloon, but a considerable monetary
      investment would have been required, aside from the fact
      that it would have been necessary to assemble it at around
      2 in the morning in order for it to be seen at 9 a.m."
      "The video's duration is between 5 to 10 minutes,
      although the object was visible for 10 to 20 minutes,"
      Maussan added.
      On Saturday, November 20, 2004, at 4:45 p.m., three
      Mexican ufologists spotted four mysterious translucent
      objects in the skies over Tepoztlan, a town in the state
      of Morelos about 40 kilometers (25 miles) south of
      Cuernavaca.
      Ufologist "Salvador Guerrero videotaped four
      translucent spheres in the town of Tepoztlan, state of
      Morelos. He was in the company of Amado Marquez and
      Eduardo Ortega and engaged in intensive skywatching.
      Guerrero has been an active ufologist since 1981."
      "At approximately 4:45 p.m., the team became aware of
      a strange sphere of the size of a ping pong ball almost at
      ground level, and they approached it with videocameras to
      record evidence. They made videotapes with three
      different cameras."
      "Subsequently, the object came out from behind a tree
      bough and remained surprisingly motionless, then moving up
      and down with intelligent movement, according to Salvador
      Guerrero. At one point, the object was close to his own
      body, scant centimeters (inches) away."
      "It was then that he reached out and touched it.
      Upon contact with his skin, the sphere released a
      gelatinous fluid that caused harm and discomfort to the
      skin, leaving a red rash on his flesh."
      "A total of four spheres were sighted with intervals
      of five minutes between each sighting."
      During this time, "teachers and children from the
      Escuela Meztitla (school)" in Tepoztlan "joined the trio"
      and watched the diminutive UFOs.
      According to Mexican ufologist Ana Luisa Cid
      Fernandez, who interviewed Guerrero after the sighting,
      "He still reports discomfort to his hand. He has been
      advised to see a physician to obtain a diagnosis as to
      what happened to his skin."
      "Guerrero has recorded similar (UFO) phenomena before
      but never touched it."
      The team's videotapes were aired Thursday, November
      18, 2004, on The Omar Chaparro Show and on Jaime Maussan's
      TV show, Los Grandes Misterios de Tercer Milenio.
      (Translated: Great Mysteries of the Third Millenium--J.T.)
      (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Ana Luisa Cid Fernandes
      para estas historias de OVNIs.)

      MYSTERY BOOMS HEARD
      IN RICHMOND, VIRGINIA

      "The mysterious booms first heard on Richmond's north
      side are now being heard in other part of the area"
      surrounding the city, the state capital of Virginia,
      "including Henrico and Chesterfield counties."
      "A city spokesman says Richmond's officials also have
      heard from officials in Indiana and Canada, where similar
      booms have also been felt."
      "The booms started in Richmond on" Tuesday, November
      2, 2004, "and have happened several times a week since.
      Most of them happened in the northern part of the city
      (Greendale, Lakeside and Regency Square--J.T.), and on
      Sunday," November 21, 2004, "authorities got 250 calls to
      report an afternoon boom."
      "City officials have ruled out construction,
      railroads or factories, along with public utilities,
      military exercises and private activities."
      "Advanced electronic equipment is being brought to
      the city to help pinpoint the source of the booms." (See
      the Richmond, Va. Times-Dispatch for November 23, 2004,
      "Mysterious booms now being heard elsewhere in the area."
      Many thanks to Robert Fischer for this newspaper article.)

      UFOs SIGHTED IN CHESHIRE
      AND THE MIDLANDS, UK

      On Sunday, October 31, 2004, at 7 p.m., the
      eyewitness, Eddie C., was driving in rural Cheshire about
      15 miles (25 kilometers) south of Liverpool. Stopping in
      Wirral, he took some photographs. After these were
      developed, he was astounded to see a UFO in one image.
      "The object didn't appear until the film was
      developed," said Eddie, who described himself as having a
      theatrical background but who was now studying "with a
      well-known spiritual medium in UK. The lights could not
      be seen with the naked eye--only with the development of
      the photos. I was very excited."
      On Saturday, November 13, 2004, at 3:18 p.m.,
      eyewitness Lloyd Bailey reported, "Travelling along Every
      Street" in Ancotes, a suburb of Manchester, "I was playing
      a game on my dad's phone when a dark shape caught my eye.
      I turned to look over to the field to it and saw a dark
      oval shape with what looked like wings sticking out of its
      sides. I had enough time to convert my dad's phone to
      camera (mode) and took a photo of the object."
      "The object was just above the houses, maybe 150 to
      200 feet (45 to 60 meters). It was travelling at an
      incredible rate of speed. After the initial sighting, it
      just disappeared." (Many thanks to Stefan Duncan of AUFON
      for the Cheshire report; the Ancotes report was an Email
      Form Report.)

      PHANTOM PANTHER PROWLS
      CAMBRIDGESHIRE, UK

      "Martin Hale believes the footprints in his garden
      belong to none other than Cambridgeshire's fabled 'Fen
      Tiger.'"
      "The latest reported evidence of the existence of the
      mythical beast lies in his three-acre garden at Ivy Farm,
      The Green, Rampton," Cambridgeshire, UK.
      "The parish council chairman said the outside light
      kept going on between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. on Friday,"
      November 19, 2004, "but he did not go out and
      investigate."
      "But when walking with his Cocker spaniel Lucy at 1
      p.m. later the same day, he made the discovery."
      "Metal trader Mr. Hale, 52, said, 'Lucy picked up a
      scent. Because the sun was in the southwest, it showed
      the prints in the grass. You could see the prints
      clearly, and the trail was about 60 yards (54 meters) long
      and went in a snake-like pattern, not in a straight line.
      The prints were the size of a clenched fist, similar to
      one I've seen before.'"
      "Mr. Hale says he has seen prints several times over
      the past four years and has seen the beast--or beasts--on
      two occasions."
      "'Both times it was either slouched down or running
      away. It's larger than a fox, about one-and-a-half times
      as big, and the tail stands erect. It's a light sandy
      colour with dark rings on its tail,' he said."
      "Checking what he had seen against big cat
      information on the Internet, the closest match was an
      African wildcat."
      "This time, Mr. Hale was able to take more accurate
      measurements of the prints. Each is about four-and-a-half
      inches (11.2 centimeters) long, the spacing between the
      prints is 22 inches (55 centimeters) and they are ten
      inches (25 centimeters) apart laterally."
      "He is hoping the new information could help
      zoologists or other big cat experts solve the long-running
      riddle."
      "Rumours of a large, cat-like creature date back to
      the 1950s, and speculation is fueled by every reported
      sighting. There were 34 (sightings) in Cambridgeshire
      between January 2003 and March 2004." (See the Cambridge
      News for November 22, 2004, "Is the legendary Fen Tiger on
      the prowl?" Many thanks to Robert Fischer, UFO Roundup's
      phantom panther expert, for this newspaper article.)

      LOCUST PLAGUE MOVES
      INTO SOUTHERN ISRAEL

      "Swarms of locusts devoured leaves and palm trees
      Sunday," November 21, 2004, "leaving people concerned
      about biblical plagues."
      "The pests swept up from Egypt, making their way
      north on a path that could take them to the West Bank town
      of Jericho, where (USA) Secretary of State Colin Powell"
      met with "Palestinian officials Monday," November 22,
      2004. (For more on the locust swarms in Egypt, see UFO
      Roundup, volume 9, number 47 for November 24, 2004,
      "Plague of locusts invades Egypt," page 13.)
      "The red locusts originated in West Africa and
      traveled through Libya and Egypt. The insects are present
      every year in Africa, but this year's swarms are
      especially large due to prolonged periods of heavy
      rainfall, according to the United Nations Food and
      Agricultural Organization (FAO)."
      "Israel's Agricultural Ministry had not by Sunday
      reported serious damage to crops in the arid Arava and
      Negev deserts. Ministry planes were spraying onion,
      pepper and melon fields near Israel's southern borders
      with Egypt and Jordan."
      "Officials in the Red Sea resort of Eilat said many
      of the plants and the trees in the city's parks have been
      stripped of their foliage by the pests. The locusts seem
      to prefer palm and olive trees, basil, grape leaves and
      grass."
      "'If these pests land on my fields, it's all over,'
      potato farmer Menachem Tzafiur told the Yediot Ahronot
      newspaper. 'They destroy a whole year's work in a matter
      of minutes.'"
      (Editor's Comment: Sad but true--the farmer's plight is
      the same the world over.)
      "Eilat residents on Sunday found their lawns
      blanketed in red with the insects. Some children
      questioned their parents if darkness, the ninth biblical
      plague after locusts, was soon to come."
      "According to the Book of Exodus in the Old
      Testament, the Egyptian suffered ten plagues before
      Pharoah agreed to let the enslaved Israelites free.
      Locusts were the eighth plague."
      "Both Yediot Ahronot and Maariv reported on the
      delight of Thai workers on southern farms, who consider
      the insects a delicacy." The newspapers offered
      "instructions for the culinary curious on how to grill the
      locusts 'turning them over until they (turn) yellow.'"
      (Editor's Note: The Nuche indigenous people of the USA's
      Southwest, also known as the Ute Indians, used to roast
      Mormon crickets over campfires and eat them like popcorn.)
      "Rabbi David Batzri, a leading Kabbalist (Jewish
      mystic--J.T.), blamed the locusts on poverty and urged the
      Israelis to give to the poor to help expel the pests."
      "Agricultural Ministry officials said they were
      concerned that the warm weather on Sunday could prompt the
      locusts to begin breeding. This would cause greater
      damage, since young locusts have large appetites, the
      officials told Yediot Ahronot."
      "The insects, which usually live between two to six
      months, eat their weight--about 0.07 ounces--in crops
      every day. They can travel 200 kilometers (120 miles)
      each day."
      On Thursday, November 25, 2004, "Israel called on
      Egypt to take steps to control swarms of red locusts that
      have invaded southern Israel and are eating crops. They
      began moving into Israel on Friday," November 19, 2004.
      "Israeli Agriculture Minister Yisrael Katz said he
      offered to help Egypt" combat the swarms "by supplying
      spray planes, equipment and know-how. Egypt hadn't
      commented." (See the Israeli newspaper Yediot Ahronot for
      November 21, 2004, "A plague of locusts!" Also USA Today
      for November 26, 2004, "Israel offers Egypt aid in
      combatting locusts." Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi,
      UFO Roundup's Middle East correspondent, for the Israeli
      article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Believe it or not, there's a verse in
      the Bible that actually predicted this plague--Micah 7:1-
      2. "What misery is mine! I feel like the fruit picker
      after the harvest who can find nothing to eat. Not a
      cluster of grapes or a single fig can be found to satisfy
      my hunger. The godly people have all disappeared; not one
      fair-minded person is left on the earth. They are all
      murderers, even setting traps for their own brothers.")

      WEIRDEST CRIME YET IN
      LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA

      The Fayette Factor took another strange turn on
      Friday, November 26, 2004, the day after the USA's
      Thanksgiving Day holiday. It happened in Lafayette,
      Louisiana (population 110,257), which has been plagued all
      year with bizarre murders and disappearances.
      "The busiest shopping day of the year turned out to
      be a sticky affair" in Lafayette, Louisiana.
      "Vandals apparently glued the locks on dozens of
      Lafayette's biggest retailers, preventing managers from
      opening up promptly on lucrative 'Black Friday.' Hundreds
      of shoppers, some of whom arrived before dawn, were forced
      to wait outside Barnes & Noble, Old Navy and other stores
      while managers summoned locksmiths."
      "At least 200 locks on dozens of businesses were
      glued, including main entrances, locksmith Garan Wilson
      said."
      "Wilson's first job at about 5 a.m. was to make his
      way to the first door lock at Old Navy--by pushing through
      500 shoppers waiting outside, he said."
      "'I found about half a tube of glue stuck inside,' he
      said."
      "Kevin Vizena, head locksmith of Pop-A-Lock in
      Lafayette, said the vandals squeezed the glue deep inside
      the keyholes, forcing him to drill holes and remove the
      locks from the doors."
      "Chuck Trenchard, an employee of S & K Menswear, said
      the prank had cost his store more than $1,000 in business,
      because potential customers had arrived early, then took
      off because they couldn't get inside."
      "Most of the stores had doors open for customers by
      mid-morning, Vizena said."
      "Lafayette police had no suspects but were
      investigating the vandalism as a case of possible criminal
      mischief or criminal damage to property, both
      misdemeanors, Lt. Angelo Lorio said." (See The Advertiser
      of Lafayette, La. for November 27, 2004. Many thanks to
      Loren Coleman for this news story.)

      GAMMA-RAY SPACECRAFT
      LAUNCHED BY NASA

      "The fastest-swiveling space science observatory ever
      built rocketed into orbit Saturday," November 20, 2004,
      "to scan the universe for violent celestial explosions
      that astronomers believe represent the birth screams of
      black holes."
      "NASA launched the observatory--named Swift for its
      speedy pivoting and pointing--following weeks of delays
      caused by hurricanes and a three-day postponement due to
      rocket trouble. The unmanned rocket climbed smoothly
      through a cloud-flecked midday sky" in Cape Canaveral,
      Florida "and delighted flight controllers wished the
      spacecraft a successful mission."
      "Swift, a $250 million collaboration by NASA, Italy
      and Britain, should begin its hunt for gamma-ray bursts by
      January (2005) and ease some of the mystery surrounding
      these explosions and black holes."
      "Gamma-ray bursts are the most powerful events in the
      universe, exceeded only by the cosmic curtain-raising Big
      Bang itself. Lasting just a few seconds on average, the
      bursts appear out of nowhere like flashlight beams and are
      thought to signal the formation of black holes."
      "Astronomers theorize the collapse or collision of
      massive stars is what produces black holes--so dense not
      even light can escape--and that the resulting
      gravitational energy sends gamma rays shooting out across
      time and space."
      "'We think that, perhaps, bursts are the birth cries
      of black holes and we're seeing these across the
      universe,' said NASA's Neil Gehrels, principal scientist."
      "A single gamma-ray burst releases more energy than
      the sun will emit in its entire lifetime at all
      wavelengths, Gehrels said."
      To give our UFO Roundup readers some idea of how
      fantastically powerful a gamma-ray burst is, here's a
      brief list of energy comparisons.
      (1) One nuclear power plant equals 10,000 campfires.
      (2) Our sun equals one hundred million billion
      nuclear plants.
      (3) One supernova (explosion caused by a dying star--
      J.T.) equals 100 million suns.
      (4) One gamma-ray burst equals one trillion
      supernovae.
      "Put another mind-blowing way, 'If you added together
      everything in the rest of the universe during that second,
      it would not be as bright as the gamma-ray burst,' said
      Pennsylvania State University astrophysicist John Nousek,
      director of mission operations."
      "So far, astronomers have managed to identify only a
      couple dozen gamma-ray bursts, as close as a few million
      light-years and as far as 12 billion light-years" away.
      (Editor's Note: One light-year equals 5.9 trillion miles.)
      "Swift should zero in on two gamma-ray bursts a week
      as far away as 15 billion light-years, representing the
      very first generation of stars, for a grand total of more
      than 200" to be surveyed "during the planned two-year
      mission."
      "The spacecraft will scan one-sixth of the sky at any
      one time and thus see one-sixth of all gamma-ray bursts
      out there. The observations will help scientists learn
      more about what the bursts are, how black holes are
      formed, and how many are out there."
      "As soon as Swift's gamma-ray burst-alert instrument
      spots an explosion, the spacecraft will quickly turn all
      by itself so that two other on-board telescopes can
      observe the X-rays and ultraviolet and optical light
      streaming from the afterglow."
      "This swinging into position will take just one
      minute, lightning speed by astronomical standards because
      of Swift's six momentum wheels, double the number for a
      science satellite. Speed is crucial because once the
      ever-so-brief gamma-ray burst subsides, the afterglow is
      difficult to find and fades within hours or sometimes
      weeks."
      "News of the gamma-ray burst and its precise location
      instantly will be relayed to astronomers everywhere by the
      mission control center at Penn State. Ground
      observatories can then be aimed to assist in the afterglow
      analysis."
      "Deputy project manager Tim Gehringer calls Swift
      'the Roadrunner of spacecraft, speeding from birth to
      birth as it advances mankind's knowledge of the most
      violent explosions in the universe.'"
      "After chasing gamma-ray bursts for a year or two,
      Swift will expand its repertoire to other rapidly-
      occurring cosmic events." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for November 21, 2004, "Spaceship hunts for gamma-
      ray bursts," page 14A.)

      TEENAGE SLASHER GOES
      BERSERK IN INDIANA

      "A student carrying a machete and another knife
      slashed five classmates Wednesday morning," November 24,
      2004, "as they watched a Spanish video, authorities said."
      "Eight Valparaiso High School students" in
      Valparaiso, Ind. (population 27,428) "were taken to the
      hospital, including the accused attacker, a 15-year-old
      freshman, Police Chief Michael Brickner said."
      "All but one of those injured were released by
      Wednesday afternoon, he said."
      "Five suffered cuts and the others complained of pain
      from other injuries, authorities said."
      "Authorities did not release any information about a
      possible motive for the attack, which happened as classes
      were starting at the school," which is located
      approximately 48 miles (77 kilometers) southeast of
      Chicago.
      "Brickner said that before carrying out the attack,
      the student asked his teacher for permission to close the
      classroom door. He shut the door and then started
      swinging the weapons at his classmates, the police chief
      said."
      "'The kid, after he stabbed them, he ran out of the
      room and a bunch of teachers tackled him,' sophomore Clark
      Hogan said, 'I saw the lady kick the knife down the
      hallway. She kicked it against the wall.'" (See the
      Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for November 25, 2004, "Student
      slashes five classmates," page 2A. Many thanks to Loren
      Coleman for this news story.)
      (Editor's Note: Valparaiso is a UFO hotspot in Indiana,
      and there have been many UFO sightings there in recent
      years. And it's not just happening in Indiana. Read
      on...)

      EIGHT TEENS STABBED
      IN CHINESE SCHOOL

      "A man is on the run after breaking into a school in
      central China and stabbing eight boys to death as they
      slept in a dormitory."
      "Teachers and local authorities told China's Xinhua
      News Agency that four others were injured in the attack in
      Ruzhou," a city in China's Henan province.
      "'It happened in the boys' dormitory. It happened
      around midnight,' said a teacher at the school."
      "'All the dead are high-school-level children,' she
      said."
      "It is the sixth such attack in four months and comes
      a day after a man was executed for a similar attack in
      Shandong, in which 24 children were injured, and a nine-
      year-old girl was kidnapped."
      "Reports say two of the four injured are in serious
      condition, and local police are investigating."
      "Authorities believe the man was alone when he broke
      into the school and stabbed the victims in their beds."
      "'It happened in several dormitories, at least
      three,' said a Ruzhou government official, adding that all
      of the victims were in lower bunk beds."
      "China has reacted angrily to the latest wave of
      violence, with some schools employing professional
      security guards to protect students."
      "Last month (October 2004) a five-year-old boy and
      his teacher were killed at a Beijing kindergarten by a
      burglar, and the boy's body was found stuffed in a washing
      machine."
      "In September (2004), a man with a knife and homemade
      bombs attacked 28 children in a kindergarten in east
      China's Suzhou city. However, no one was killed."
      "A caretaker with a history of mental illness stabbed
      17 children, killing one, in an attack on a Beijing
      kindergarten in August (2004)." (See the newspaper Wuhan
      Daily for November 26, 2004, "Eight students killed in
      Ruzhou." Many thanks to Loren Coleman and Chen Jilin for
      this newspaper report.)

      READER FEEDBACK:

      POINTED CHINS IN HOLLYWOOD

      Concerning the feature story in UFO Roundup, volume 9,
      number 47, "2004: Prisoner of the Aliens," Terry Duckworth
      writes, "If that guy who was held prisoner in the
      underground base gets spooked by pointed chins, he'd
      better stay away from the tabloids. Check out all the
      pointed chins in the Globe for November 15th (2004), pages
      58 and 59. Of the six celebs shown, Nicky Hilton is the
      only one without a pointed chin. Isn't that weird?"
      (Editor's Comment: A bit.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1941: STRANGE CRUISE
      OF THE I-26

      On Tuesday, December 2, 1941, the Matson Lines steamship
      S.S. Lurline was sailing from Los Angeles to Honolulu,
      Hawaii. Sitting in the ship's "radio shack" was Leslie E.
      Grogan, "who described himself as 'a 260 pound blimp.'
      The 47-year-old Grogan (was) one of the most experienced
      radio operators of the Matson Line."
      He checked his watch--7:30 p.m. Twisting the dials,
      he thought, With any luck, I ought to be able to pick up
      an NBC station. It was 9:30 p.m. in California, and time
      for Fibber McGee and Molly. No doubt Grogan was wondering
      what the gang at 79 Wistful Vista was up to this week.
      But instead of the sound of clutter spilling out of a
      closet, Grogan "picked up a faint signal which he could
      not identify. It came from northwest by west, a peculiar
      area for (marine) traffic at this time of year. What
      would anyone be doing in such rough, northerly waters?"
      At midnight, chief radio operator Rudy Asplund joined
      him. The two men strained to pick up the mysterious radio
      signals. "They increased, grew louder, and" Grogan and
      Asplund "could make out the call letters JCS, Yokohama.
      It was in some Japanese code."
      In his journal, Grogan wrote, "The Japs are blasting
      away on the lower Marine Radio frequency--it is all in the
      Japanese code and continues for several hours. Some of
      the signals were loud, and others weak, but in most every
      case, the repeat-back was acknowledged verbatim."
      "So much of the signals reaching us on the S.S.
      Lurline were good enough to get good RDF (Radio Direction
      Finding--J.T.) bearings. We noticed that signals were
      being repeated back, possibly for copying by crafts with
      small antennas. The main body of signals came from a
      Northwest by West area, which from our second night from
      Los Angeles bound for Honolulu--would be North and West of
      Honolulu."
      The S.S. Lurline had picked up radio traffic from
      Kido Butai, the Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) task force
      that was bearing down on Pearl Harbor.
      The S.S. Lurline docked in Honolulu on Wednesday,
      December 3, 1941. "Immediately upon docking at the Aloha
      Tower, Grogan presented his transcript of the broadcasts
      and the RDF bearings to Lieutenant Commander George Pease
      of (the Office of) Naval Intelligence."
      Robert B. Stinnett, author of Day of Deceit: The
      Truth about FDR and Pearl Harbor, wrote, "If Pease, who
      died in a plane crash in 1945, ever submitted a report on
      the Lurline's locating Japanese warships north of Hawaii
      by RDF, it has disappeared. So has the Lurline's original
      radio log," which vanished from a federal documents
      archive in California in 1981.
      One of the Japanese "crafts with small antennas" was
      the IJN long-range fleet submarine, the I-26. On
      Wednesday, November 19, 1941, the submarine, commanded by
      Captain Minoru Yokota, left the Japanese naval base at
      Yokosuka and put to sea.
      Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto wanted the I-26 pre-
      positioned in the Gulf of Alaska. Should the negotiations
      with the USA fail, Kido Butai would attack Pearl Harbor,
      and the I-26 would attack any American naval or commercial
      ships Yokota might encounter in those waters.
      The Japanese I-boats were larger and roomier than
      German U-boats or American Tang-class submarines. They
      even came equipped with small spotter planes. The I-26
      reached her position, about 250 kilometers (150 miles)
      south of Alaska's Kodiak Island. The lack of maritime
      traffic puzzled Capt. Yokota.
      Unknown to the Japanese, President Roosevelt had
      declared a "Vacant Sea" policy for the North Pacific "and
      ordered all U.S. and allied shipping out of those waters."
      The order to divert all Allied ships went from Washington
      D.C. to the Twelfth Naval District in San Francisco and to
      Admiral Husband E. Kimmel, nickname "Mustapha" (because
      he'd been in Turkey after World War I--J.T.), the U.S.
      Navy commander in Hawaii, on Tuesday, November 25, 1941.
      Curiously, this order was issued one hour after Kido Butai
      had left the anchorage at Hittokappu Bay, Japan.
      FDR's order actually overruled measures Admiral
      Kimmel had taken to protect Hawaii. Two days earlier, on
      Sunday, November 23, 1941, Kimmel had sent out the Navy's
      Pacific fleet on Exercise 191. Stinnet pointed out, "The
      object of the exercise called on Force Black (Japan) to
      conduct an air raid on Force White (USA). Exercise 191
      would prove eerily similar to Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto's
      Operations Order No. 1, which set forth Japan's naval
      plans for the Hawaii raid."
      "In a bizarre series of coincidences, Yamamoto and
      Kimmel selected the identical launch area--the Prokofiev
      Seamount, an extinct underwater volcano about 200 miles
      (320 kilometers) north of Oahu."
      So the I-26 was left to cruise around in the Gulf of
      Alaska, looking in vain for American ships. But then,
      while running on the surface the night of Friday, December
      5, 1941, something unusual happened.
      Seaman Tomoyuki Kawaguchi was on watch in the
      submarine's conning tower when he thought he saw a glimmer
      of light to the west-southwest. Lifting the high-power
      binoculars, he spotted "a luminous disk flying below the
      clouds" at about 15 degrees above the horizon. What on
      earth is that!? he wondered, and, after hesitating almost
      a minute, he summoned the boat's O.D. (Officer of the
      Deck--J.T.), Lieutenant Okuma.
      Looking through the binoculars, Okuma did not see the
      disk, but he did see lights reflected on the underside of
      the clouds on the horizon. Turning to another Japanese
      sailor, he said, "Tell the captain we have lights on the
      horizon. Possibly an American ship. Bearing two-six-
      five."
      Upon hearing this, Capt. Yokota ordered, "Rig for
      diving." The klaxon went off, and the Japanese sailors
      rushed to their stations.
      Once submerged, Capt. Yokota ordered full speed ahead
      and then called, "Up periscope." As the periscope emerged
      from its well, he snapped down the levers, put his eye to
      the eyepiece, and scanned the horizon.
      The lights had gone.
      Confident that the I-26 could catch the unknown ship,
      Capt. Yokota continued the pursuit. But every time they
      scanned the western horizon, there was no sign of any
      ship. After midnight, the captain handed over the conn to
      one of the junior officers and retired to his cabin.
      A little after 4 a.m., the orderly awoke Capt. Yokota
      and said they had found the mysterious light again. Only
      now it was a glimmer on the eastern horizon.
      How did it get behind us? he wondered. His junior
      officers had been using the periscope at 15-minute
      intervals.
      When the sun rose on Saturday, December 6, 1941,
      Capt. Yokota got a look at the ship approaching from the
      northeast. She was the S.S. Cynthia Olsen, a 2,120-ton
      wooden freighter carrying a load of lumber to Honolulu.
      (In Duluth, this type of vessel is known as a "lumber
      hooker"--J.T.) "None of the twenty-five crew members was
      aware that the ship was being trailed by a Japanese
      submarine."
      After dark, the I-26 surfaced and kept well astern of
      the Olsen. The submarine received a brief coded message
      from Japan. Niitaka yama nobore. (Translated: Climb
      Mount Niitaka--J.T.) War with the USA would commence at 8
      a.m. Honolulu time on Sunday, December 7, 1941.
      At 5 a.m., the I-26 submerged, and Capt. Yokota used
      the periscope to keep the Olsen in view. Promptly at 7:55
      a.m., "the I-26 surfaced and fired over the bow of the
      freighter to warn it to stop. When it kept moving, Yokota
      ordered a torpedo fired. It missed, but the Cynthia Olsen
      stopped and the crew began lowering their two lifeboats."
      "When the last (American) seaman clambered aboard and
      the boats pulled away from the doomed freighter, the I-26
      began hammering at it with a 15cm (150-millimeter) gun;
      then, frustrated that the Cynthia Olsen was taking so long
      to sink, Yokota sent a torpedo into it. The ship rolled
      onto its right side."
      The Cynthia Olsen took four hours to sink. The I-26
      left the area and headed south to Hawaii, leaving the
      Olsen's 25-man crew in their lifeboats.
      The men of the Cynthia Olsen were never seen again.
      When author John Toland interviewed Yokota in Japan
      in 1979, the Japanese captain maintained that the
      lifeboats were seaworthy and the American crew unharmed
      when he left the scene. The S.S. Lurline, then on her way
      back to San Francisco, picked up the Olsen's distress call
      at 8 a.m. Following the attack on Pearl Harbor, U.S. Navy
      PBY Catalina aircraft overflew the area and spotted the
      Olsen's oil slick and debris field.
      But the crew and the two lifeboats were never found.
      Nothing--not even a life preserver--washed ashore in
      Alaska or Hawaii.
      (Editor's Note: A situation similar to the S.S. Rouse
      Simmons, a ship which disappeared on Lake Michigan in 1913
      and is thought by some to have been swallowed up by the
      Lake Michigan Triangle.)
      One has to wonder if the "luminous disk" Kawaguchi
      saw returned and picked up the Olsen's crew during the
      confusion that followed the attack on Pearl Harbor.
      Nor was the S.S. Lurline the only source to provide
      Washington with advance warning of the Pearl Harbor
      attack.
      According to Stinnett, then-FBI director J. Edgar
      Hoover "forwarded the reports to FDR via the President's
      military aide, Major General Edwin "Pa" Watson. Eight
      'special messenger' reports, some containing British
      intercepts of Japanese messages, were delivered. One
      serial, 61-10556-399, dated November 13, 1941, contains 32
      pages of British WT (Wireless Telegraph--J.T.) intercepts
      of Japanese messages. Hoover wrote a directive by hand on
      Serial 399 to his assistant (and reputed lover--J.T.)
      Clyde W. Tolson: 'Get this to Watson, Berle, Miles and
      Wilkinson at once.'"
      In 1995, Stinnett added, fifty years after the end of
      World War II, "Attorney General Janet Reno and her public
      affairs chief, Carl Stern, declined to declassify Serial
      399 and labeled it a B-1 National Defense Secret under the
      provisions of the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act--
      J.T.)."
      Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Just what is an "A-1
      National Defense Secret?" Roswell? (See the books Day of
      Deceit: The Truth about FDR and Pearl Harbor by Robert B.
      Stinnett, Simon & Schuster Inc., New York, N.Y., 2000,
      pages 146 to 152, 195 to 198 and 340; Long Day's Journey
      Into War by Stanley Weintraub, Truman Talley Books,
      Dutton, New York, N.Y., 1991, pages 69, 319, 320 and 321;
      and Infamy: Pearl Harbor and its Aftermath by John Toland,
      Doubleday & Co., Garden City, N.Y., 1982, pages 278 to
      280, 285, 306, 307, 316, 317, 318 and 322.)

      That's it for this week. Join us in seven days for more
      UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet
      Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
      Roundup." See you next time!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions,
      all rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.