Footage: Portland Oregon Diamond Shaped UFO Caught On Film/Video

  • HBCC UFO Research
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2004
      HBCC UFO Research Report: Finally I have added the interesting video footage to this report and photos. The footage is in a .wmv format. and is 1.76 mbs in size.

      Footage: Portland Oregon Diamond Shaped UFO Caught On Film/Video

      Date: July 8, 2004
      Hi Brian,
      On July 8, 2004 I was puttering around the backyard when I looked up and saw something blue-black in color, no apparent lights, moving to the south somewhat slowly, not as fast as the typical single engine airplane. It appeared almost overhead, but shifted say 60 to 70 degrees above the western horizon, low enough to be easily seen. As an object it seemed a bit large, or a bit close, say 1000 to 3000 feet altitude, and made no noise. This was a real photo snapshot opportunity, excepting the poor lighting conditions.
      It took me 30 seconds to run and get the camera. The first picture Pict5702, is zoomed in 40x (10x optical, 4x digital) and is overexposed and out of focus. On subsequent photos I then switched camera modes for manual exposure so I could underexpose the pictures, as this seems to capture more detail. In the midst of taking pictures I did get one QuickTime movie, about 21 seconds long, Pict 5706. The last photo is Pict5710.

      Video clip Portland Oregon Diamond Shaped UFO Caught On Film/Video 1.76 mbs
      To view the video clip please visit: http://www.hbccufo.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2045
      Photo Listing:
      5702: 40x zoom, 1/10 sec exp, time stamp 21:08:00, looking WSW
      5703: 10x zoom, 1/125 sec exp, time stamp 21:08:30, looking WSW
      5704: 10x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:08:44, looking WSW
      5705: 40x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:09:06, looking WSW
      5706: 10x zoom, 21 sec OT movie, time stamp 21:09:22, looking SW
      5707: 10x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:10:08, looking SW
      5708: 40x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:10:40, looking SSW
      5709: 3x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:11:20, looking south
      5710: 3x zoom, 1/60 sec exp, time stamp 21:12:12, looking south

      All photos are straight out of the camera. Some pictures are blurred due to the seeing conditions at 9:08 pm pdt local time being nearly dusk. The camera, a 3.2mp Konica-Minolta Z1, would not lock focus on the object due to the low light conditions. I had to focus lock on the farthest away tall tree (about 500 feet) then find the object again for the photograph. Oh, what a manual focus ring would do for this camera!
      I am going to take some measurements, etc of where the photos were taken, and the time stamp is in each picture's exif data file, so with this information I should be able to get some average speeds of this object, if I can make some refined accurate estimates of the object's probable altitude. It did not seem to change its altitude very much or very drastically. A little sketch diagramming and calculation will be necessary and that will take some time.
      The video (20mb file size) shows the object making some mildly erratic changes in direction during its slow flight progress, this can best be seen 14 to 18 seconds into the movie, as there is a roofline showing there. Regarding weather conditions, it was not windy to speak of, only the very mild evening breeze which usually comes in from the north, and mostly blue sky was showing. If there was any breeze it was barely noticeable to me. What I'm getting at is I don't believe what I saw was a balloon carried in a breeze.
      Some of the photos show an aura, or atmospheric distortion waves, around the object, particularly the one that is overexposed.
      The object did not seem to rotate much about its own axis as some other UFO objects that I have witnessed have done (I haven't told you about those... yet.). Visually, it had a squarish, or four lobed appearance. This was evident when it was at its closest, when I first glanced up and saw it.
      Will get back to you with more data soon. All pictures less the movie, (8) files total, are sent to you in two emails. I will regular mail the full movie as I have no way to cut it down by edit right now, except in still frames.
      Thanks for looking,
      Additional Information:
      Hi Brian,
      Here is Additional Information 7-11-2004:
      1. I first saw the UFO about thirty seconds before the first picture was taken at 9:08:00, or at 9:07:30 pm pdt. I have good recall of where it was on first sight. I know from the photo time stamps the entire duration of the UFO sighting was about 4.7 minutes.
      2. The second photo, Pict5703, was taken at 9:08:30 pm pdt. This is exactly one minute after first sight. I have good recall of where the UFO was at that time. From my position on the ground, there is the angle of view distance the UFO traveled, which can be reasonably well estimated. It was checked later and found to be 25 degrees of arc, sighted by use of a protractor held as a guide. The two major things missing are 1) the altitude, and 2) the size of the UFO.
      Since the time increment in this case is one minute for 25 degrees of arc, the guesstimated altitude can be plugged into a chart, to obtain some possible rates of travel at those possible altitudes. (This was done and shows speeds only slightly higher than in the chart below.)
      The UFO's size could be readily determined, if the altitude was a known quantity, which it is not. However, the horizontal pixel count for the UFO in Pict5703 is about 41 pixels wide (give or take), as compared to the entire image size of 2048 wide x 1536 high. If you divide, 41/2048 = 0.02, or 2% of the entire picture frame width. The zoom factor is 10x in this picture. I have measured the camera's field of view at 5.6 degrees at this zoom factor. The UFO relative size then is 2% of this, or approximately 0.112 degrees of arc.
      So, if the altitude could be found, a lot of unknowns would fall into place.
      3. Some assumptions are made, that the altitude did not change much, the direction of travel was generally south (SSE more precisely), and the UFO's speed remained fairly constant (but who knows?). Another assumption that I have to make is all this activity occurred in a two dimensional plane, or on an X-Y grid, if you can imagine that. Of course that isn't true, but it shouldn't affect the calculations very drastically, since the viewing was nearly perpendicular to the object's movement.
      4. I made some measurements of the roof height and the position where each photo was taken, then recorded these in a hand sketch. This was done accurately with the tools at hand.
      5. I then made a computerized AutoCAD sketch to confirm my viewing angles accurately to my surveyed measurements for several of the pictures taken. This information was used to make further calculations on the UFO to try to determine its altitude, size and speed. The UFO as shown in the last photo, Pict5710, was 27.3 degrees above horizon. This was confirmed by sighting with a protractor later. After cross-checking the data and comparing it to what I saw, this yields the possible results below.
      6. The possible results, based on selected altitudes stated as Alt Y:
      Alt Y Time Trav X. Rate UFO Size
      (feet) (mins) (miles) (mph) (feet wide)
      1 k, 4.7, 0.365, 4.7, 1.96'
      3 k, 4.7 1.097, 14.4, 5.88'
      10 k, 4.7, 3.655, 47.0, 19.6'
      30 k, 4.7, 10.97, 144, 58.8'
      The above altitudes were chosen on this basis: 1000' flight of medium size birds, 3000' flight of larger birds, 10,000' flight of average light planes, 30,000' + flight of average jet airliners. "My UFO" does not seem to fit any of these possible subjects, its too big or too small.
      7. Best Guess (since only I was there):
      My best guess is the object was at about 2000 feet, traveled about 3/4 mile in the 4.7 minute sighting, at an average speed of 10 mph, and its size was about 3.9 feet. At the time I thought about getting in my vehicle and chasing/following it for another reference viewpoint, but did not do so. I did file a report with UFOcenter.com,, Peter Davenport's site. It will be interesting to see if I was the only witness to this event, and if there were other witnesses, what kind of information was provided.
      Also, if you post this, land surveyor types might see it. They may be able to provide some tips on scaling/reading the data that I may not be aware of.
      Regards,
      Thank you to the witness for the report and photos.