Fwd: UFO boom - Unidentified Foreign Object (UK)

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2004
      UFO boom - Unidentified Foreign Object

      http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED08%20Nov%202004%2017%3A55%3A31%3A097

      EDWARD FOSS

      08 November 2004 17:50

      A suspected sonic boom heard across north-east Norfolk today was not
      caused by a British aircraft, it was confirmed tonight.

      The loud bang, heard at least from Sheringham to Halvergate near Yarmouth,
      startled hundreds of people going about their daily business at around
      noon.

      But a Ministry of Defence spokesman said it was not a domestic fighter
      that caused the incident, although he was unable to confirm the source of
      the sonic boom.

      "We believe there was a sonic boom, but it was not a British aircraft that
      caused it," said Lt Col Stuart Green. "It was not one of ours."

      Whether the aircraft was European or American was not clear, but they
      would be the most likely suspects. But it would have been a military
      aircraft, as no civilian plane is capable of going fast enough to make a
      sonic boom.

      A spokesman for the UK Civil Aviation Authority said the now out of
      service Concorde was the only civilian craft that had ever been able to
      travel fast enough to create the phenomenon.

      North Norfolk MP Norman Lamb described how he had been sitting in his
      office in North Walsham when he heard an "incredible boom".

      "The building shook and like many people I was shocked. I thought 'has
      there been some sort of gas explosion?'"

      Mr Lamb said he felt the "disturbing" incident begged questions that
      needed to be answered. He pledged to approach ministers for an explanation.

      Ben Dunnell, assistant editor of Aircraft Illustrated and formerly from
      Norfolk, said sonic booms were rare in the UK. "There are regulations
      governing supersonic flight, but it is not clear what happened on this
      occasion."

      When the sonic boom was heard, windows and homes shook while some people
      were reported to have been running for cover.

      "I heard this enormous explosion," said John Hilton, who was in Stalham at
      the time. One or two people were very worried, although most realised
      fairly quickly what it probably was. But I don't feel things like this
      should be happening."

      Police and RAF bosses received scores of calls from those concerned at the
      explosion.

      A sonic boom is a loud noise generated when an aeroplane travels faster
      than sound waves, which move at approximately 750mph at sea level.
      Pressure waves merge to form shock waves, which are heard as sonic booms
      when they hit the ground.

      Although there has been no official confirmation of the noise being a
      sonic boom, a spokesman at RAF Coltishall said there had been an
      assumption it was. He added that the Ministry of Defence in London was
      handling the investigation into the incident.

      A spokeswoman for Norfolk police said it was possible the noise was a
      sonic boom and that the investigation was in the hands of the RAF.

      The noise was heard in Overstrand momentarily before it was heard in
      Cromer, suggesting it came from an aircraft travelling east to west.

      Copyright © 2004 Archant Regional. All rights reserved.