UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 44

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2004
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 9, Number 44
      November 3, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      CASSINI FLYBY GRABS FIRST
      CLOSE-UP PHOTOS OF TITAN

      The robot spacecraft Cassini had a close encounter
      with Saturn's giant moon, Titan, last week and obtained
      the first close-up photos of that strange icy world.
      On Tuesday, October 26, 2004, "the spacecraft was to
      turn its cameras and other instruments toward the cloud-
      shrouded moon...The maneuver was expected to bring Cassini
      the closest to Titan since the spacecraft went into orbit
      around Saturn on June 30," 2004.
      "The orbiter is carrying 12 scientific instruments,
      including spectrometers, infrared cameras and radar
      designed to pierce the moon's dense atmosphere and 'reveal
      a whole new world,' said Charles Elachi, director of the
      Jet Propulsion Laboratory" in Pasadena, California.
      "Titan is bigger than the planet Mercury. It has an
      atmosphere that is one-and-a-half times as dense as
      Earth's and contains organic--meaning carbon-based
      compounds."
      "'Titan is one of the most fascinating places in the
      whole solar system,' says astronomer Antonin Bouchez of
      Hawaii's W.M. Keck Observatory, who is not a Cassini team
      member. 'It is a completely alien place, but it may be
      the most Earth-like place we know, with beaches, lakes and
      oceans. That's what makes it interesting.'"
      "On Tuesday, the $3.27-billion international space
      probe passed within 730 miles (1,168 kilometers), the
      second largest moon in the solar system. Jupiter's ice
      moon, Ganymede, is the biggest."
      "At a Wednesday," October 27, 2004, "briefing at
      NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.,
      scientists unveiled the first high-resolution images from
      the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft's flyby of Titan. The
      images show a surface of bright and dark regions streaked
      by unknown materials in some locales, and a lower
      atmosphere with a few clouds."
      "'With the sun at our backs, we had an ideal view
      down to the surface,' said mission imaging team chief
      Carolyn Porco of the Space Science Institute in Boulder,
      Colorado. 'We are still mystified and not quite sure what
      we are looking at.'"
      "One surprise for scientists was that sensors
      suggested Titan's dark and light regions are made of the
      same stuff, a mixture of ice and naturally occurring tar,
      despite their differences in brightness. The find may
      indicate that a coating covers Titan's surface, much like
      the dust that coats Mars and obscures the chemistry in the
      bedrock below."
      "Streaks seen in the surface images resemble features
      on both Mars and Venus, said astronomer Antonin Bouchez of
      Hawaii's W.M. Keck Observatory."
      NASA released more Cassini images on Thursday,
      October 28, 2004.
      "The surface of Titan, Saturn's largest moon, looks
      like a cracked eggshell, a windblown landscape dotted with
      propane lakes, according to images that NASA released
      Thursday."
      "'Titan is an extremely dynamic and active place,'
      says mission scientist Jonathan Lunine of the University
      of Arizona in Tucson."
      "Radar images of a 1,242-mile (1,987-kilometer) strip
      of Titan, about 1 percent of the moon's surface, were
      released at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena,
      Calif. They suggest that the surveyed strip has about a
      dozen lake, including one the size of Lake Tahoe," on the
      border of the USA's states of California and Nevada.
      "The new images indicate that winds in the atmosphere
      reshape the surface, likely streaking frozen tars and oils
      across the terrain. Ridges 62 miles (104 kilometers)
      long, but no taller than 165 feet (50 meters) suggest that
      the cracks seen from space are from an ice 'eggshell'
      covering the moon."
      "NASA scientists also report that volcanic eruptions
      of ammonia and ice water reshape Titan's frigid surface."
      (Editor's Note: The surface temperature on Titan is minus
      290 degrees on the Fahrenheit scale.)
      "'Titan is a place that is alive, in a geologic
      sense,' says JPL chief Charles Elachi, who also heads the
      Cassini radar team. The mission, managed cooperatively by
      NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA) and the Italian
      Space Agency (ASI) is scheduled to explore Saturn and its
      moons for at least four years, including 44 flybys of
      Titan."
      "On Christmas Eve," December 24, 2004, "the
      spacecraft will release the ESA's Huygens probe, which
      will parachute onto Titan in mid-January," 2005.
      "Titan's temperature varies somewhat from region to
      region, suggesting that it's blanketed with carbon-based
      compounds. 'The place is just covered in the stuff,' says
      mission scientist Ralph Lorenz of the University of
      Arizona." (See USA Today for October 26, 2004, "Saturn's
      moon Titan comes into focus today," page 8D; for October
      27, 2004, "Spacecraft zooms in on Saturn's big moon," page
      10A; for October 28, 2004, "Cassini probe's first flyby of
      Titan reveals some surprises," page 4D; and for October
      29, 2004, "Titan's surface like an icy eggshell, images
      show," page 4D.)

      UFOs SIGHTED BY MANY IN
      WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA

      On Saturday, October 23, 2004, at 12:34 a.m.,
      eyewitness Carol reported, "My son woke me about 12:30
      a.m. and said he observed a UFO across the street from our
      house" in Belle Vernon, Pa. (population 1,211), located on
      the east bank of the Monongahela River about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) south of Pittsburgh.
      Carol's son said the UFO "was hovering over a wooded
      area," she reported, "When I went to investigate his
      sighting, I first thought it to be the moon. It seemed
      like a cluster of smaller lights, making it seem to be
      somewhat circular in shape. I'm still trying to believe
      it is the moon."
      "At 1 a.m.," on Sunday, October 24, 2004, "I decided
      to look back in the sky to see if it had moved around in a
      period of time. I figured, if it was the moon, I should
      be able to tell better as time would pass. At 1:05 a.m.,
      just five minutes of me last checking on the object, it
      was gone. I stepped outside to see if it may have drifted
      elsewhere, and the object was gone."
      Other UFO sightings were reported in the Pittsburgh
      area.
      "At about 11:15 p.m. on Sunday night, October 24,
      2004, residents throughout the Greater Pittsburgh area
      reported a brilliant blue light moving across the sky,
      then turned dark only to highlight for several minutes."
      "Witnesses concerned about the object illuminating
      the sky reported their sightings to various agencies in
      Pittsburgh. It appears that the source of the object was
      a brilliant meteor associated with the annual Orionid
      meteor shower."
      Pennsylvania ufologist Stan Gordon reported, "One
      witness I interviewed from Beaver County, located north of
      Pittsburgh, said her bedroom lit up in blue light for four
      to five seconds. The light seemed slowly to brighten,
      then faded away. No sound was reported."
      "I contacted Peter Davenport of the National UFO
      Reporting Center" near Seattle, Washington state, USA,
      "who confirmed that he received numerous reports of the
      event from several Northeastern states." (Many thanks to
      Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch International,
      for the Belle Vernon report; and to Stan Gordon for the
      Pittsburgh and Beaver County reports.)

      LUMINOUS UFO SEEN BY A
      COUPLE IN IRONTON, OHIO

      On Thursday, October 14, 2004, Josh Griffith and his
      wife were driving in their truck in Ironton, Ohio
      (population 11,211) when they spotted something unusual in
      the southeastern sky.
      "I was in my truck talking to my wife, when she
      suddenly said, 'What is that!?' When I looked, I saw
      something very bright like a star but much brighter, much
      larger, moving over the horizon at an extreme rate of
      speed. When the object was about halfway across the sky,
      it went completely black. Then, at an instant (later),
      the object was pulsating in a very dark and deep red--the
      whole craft, not part of a light or a plane. At first a
      brilliant light, then pulsating reddish. The altitude was
      between 5,000 and 10,000 feet (1,500 to 3,000 meters).
      The speed was unlike anything I have ever seen."
      Ironton is on Ohio Route 141, on the north bank of
      the Ohio River about 20 miles (32 kilometers) northwest of
      Huntington, West Virginia. (Email Form Report)
      (Editor's Note: Ironton is just downriver from Point
      Pleasant, West Virginia, the home of the entity known as
      Mothman.)

      WEST VIRGINIA POLICE
      WATCH UFO OVER CAPITOL

      A police officer in Charleston, West Virginia
      (population 53,421) claims to have witnessed, along with
      other officers, a UFO hovering over the state Capitol
      during late September 2004.
      "My name is William H. Fink. I am a Sergeant with
      the West Virginia Division of Protective Services, better
      known as the Capitol Police for the state capital of West
      Virginia. I am a shift commander for the evening shift
      which is how I encountered the following UFO."
      "It was Monday, September 20 (2004). At about 7:30
      p.m., another officer and I were walking from one building
      to another when we both saw what looked like fireballs in
      the sky. At first sighting, there were two of them, and
      they were not moving. I watched them for a few seconds,
      then ran back into the building to retrieve my binocular
      camera. I was able to take 12 photos of the UFO."
      "At one time, there were four of them in the sky, but
      I could only get two photographed at a time. I called the
      rest of my shift outside and these things were observed by
      four trained, experienced police officers, a security
      guard supervisor, two carpet installers and a couple
      walking the grounds."
      "We observed these things until 7:40 p.m.--a full ten
      minutes. The sun was almost below the mountains, and it
      cast an orange glow on the objects as well as two
      airliners that flew over at the same time. It was clear
      with noticeable ground winds and no sound. The objects
      began to move southwest until they faded out in the
      glowing sun."
      "At times, one would circle the others as they
      appeared to race each other--only to fade out at either
      behind the building or in the setting sun. As the
      airliner flew over, one object seemed to race with it and
      overtake it before fading."
      "I don't know if these were all the same object going
      back and forth or if there was a whole group of them. I
      could not judge height, but it was considerably lower than
      the airliners. (The airliners likely took off from Chuck
      Yeager Airport in Charleston--W.M.F.) Yeager refused to
      talk to me, and I finally got the FAA (Federal Aviation
      Administration--J.T.). The man I spoke to at the FAA was
      nice but not helpful."
      "In the October 6 (2004) edition of UFO Roundup,
      there is a case very similar to mine. It is entitled,
      'Silver sphere sighted in Englewood, Colorado.'" (Email
      Report)

      THREE UFOs SIGHTED IN
      NORTHERN ARGENTINA

      "Several witnesses have added their names to the
      statements made by councilman Rodrigo Garcia and district
      administrative secretary Walter Nunez, who along with
      hundreds of persons attending the start of the Popular
      Loyalty Day celebrations" on Sunday, October 24, 2004,
      "were treated to the sight of a luminous UFO fallen to the
      ground near the city" of Rosario de la Frontera in
      northern Argentina.
      "The phenomenon was seen from Rosario de la Frontera,
      a city located 30 kilometers (18 miles)" south of Salta,
      the provincial capital. "It occurred at 7:55 p.m. and
      caused a commotion."
      "'It was incredible, truly something out of the
      ordinary,' explained a police officer, who was on duty in
      the area and requested anonymity."
      "The eyewitnesses, who included Adrian Quiroga, a
      correspondent for (the Argentinian newspaper) El Tribuno,
      agreed that they first saw three large columns of smoke,
      similar to the wake of jet aircraft, and which gave the
      impression of a swift north-to-south movement."
      "However, they suddenly changed their course by 90
      degrees and plummeted vertically, with light resembling
      flames reported. The objects then seemed to disappear."
      "Witnesses speculated that a meteorite could have
      been involved, or else an alien spacecraft or space junk.
      They agreed that 'if something fell, it was very near
      Rosario de la Frontera,' although the majority reported no
      likelihood of an impact on Earth since no sound was
      heard."
      "Police units searched the area after the 'crash' to
      no effect."
      "Sheriff Mario Paz, chief of Regional Unit 3, stated
      that 'no area officer reported anything falling from the
      sky. Officially, we can say nothing happened.'"
      "'They resembled three incandescent balls that fell,
      leaving behind a great quantity of smoke. I've never seen
      anything like it,' said Walter Nunez."
      "Victor Brazanovich, another witness, said that
      'whatever it was, it put forth a large amount of white
      smoke and, at the time it appeared, a yellowish color like
      fire as it fell quickly.'"
      "Miguel Angel Fucho, who also observed the strange
      event, stated, 'I was amazed to see contrails similar to
      those of a jet aircraft, but there was no continuity to
      their trajectory, because the object finally fell to
      Earth.'"
      Rosario de la Frontera is located in southern Salta
      province, about 500 kilometers (300 miles) northwest of
      Buenos Aires, the capital of Argentina. (See El Tribuno
      for October 25, 2004. Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y
      Guillermo Gimenez de Planeta UFO para esto articulo de
      diario.)

      BIRDS' NAVIGATION SENSE
      SUDDENLY GOES HAYWIRE

      "European birdwatchers are scratching their heads
      over why a particular species of bird, the booted eagle,
      is migrating north this winter instead of the balmier
      south."
      "According to the Ligue Protectif des Oiseaux
      (Translated: Bird Protective League--J.T.), nearly 1,000
      of these rare eagles have been spotted in southern France
      over the past two months--more than 30 times the normal
      number--after resuming their normal September migration,
      which should see them head for Africa and India."
      "The bizarre phenomenon has never been witnessed
      before, the LPO stated Thursday," October 28, 2004.
      "Speculation that the birds, which have a wingspan up
      to 1.3 meters (4 feet, 4 inches) might have been affected
      by weather disturbances linked to global warming has
      butted up against the fact that no other species appears
      to be having the same navigation trouble."
      "Normally, the booted eagle (Hieraaetus pennatus)
      spends the warmer months of the northern hemisphere
      breeding in southern Europe and in parts of North Africa."
      A similar case of "navigation failure" occurred in
      Minnesota this week.
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor reported, "The day
      after I read the French news story, this item appeared in
      one of our Lake Superior region newspapers."
      "This past weekend, Silver Bay (Minnesota) was host
      to an unusual visitor from the West."
      "Last Thursday (October 21, 2004), four-year-old Al
      Robertsen declared, 'Daddy, there's a big bird outside,'
      and when Steve Robertsen looked out the window, he was
      amazed to see a Clark's Nutcracker. This relative of the
      jay and crow (Corvidae family--J.T.) hasn't been seen in
      Minnesota since 1986, and this bird is the first since
      1971 that birders have been able to chase."
      "It is a gray bird with black wings that is between a
      jay and a crow in size. It was named after William Clark
      who described it in 1805 during the famous Lewis and Clark
      expedition."
      "Nutcrackers aren't migratory and aren't usually
      found east of the (Rocky) mountains, so how the bird ended
      up in Silver Bay isn't clear. It could be that the bird
      was just here to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the
      Lewis and Clark expedition, but a more reasonable
      explanation is that in the past nutcrackers have wandered
      from home when there is a shortage of whitebark pine seeds
      (a favorite food) in the mountains."
      "Peg Robertsen turned in the sighting to the Minnesota
      Birding Network listserver and, within a couple of hours,
      birders from Duluth had shown up to confirm the sighting."
      "By the weekend (Friday, October 22 to Sunday,
      October 24, 2004), birders were showing up from as far
      away as Rochester, Winona (Minnesota) and Green Bay
      (Wisconsin). People in the neighborhood weren't sure
      which was more interesting: the bird or the people armed
      with high-powered cameras and spotting scopes."
      Silver Bay, Minn. (population 800) is on Highway 61,
      on the north shore of Lake Superior, approximately 55
      miles (88 kilometers) northeast of Duluth. (See the North
      Shore Journal of Silver Bay, Minn. for October 23, 2004,
      "Silver Bay hosts rare bird," page 8. Also the Agence
      France Presse news story for October 22, 2004. Merci
      beaucoup a Robert Fischer pour cette article de journal.)

      FOSSILIZED HOBBIT FOUND
      ON INDONESIAN ISLAND

      "Fans of The Lord of the Rings may be interested to
      know that a remote Indonesian island has yielded the
      remains of a pint-sized people--a surprising new human
      species--that paleontologists say lived just 18,000 years
      ago."
      "In fact, scientists have nicknamed the new creature
      'Hobbit' after the diminutive folks in the famed J.R.R.
      Tolkien trilogy. Fiction aside, the discovery reported
      today by an Australian paleonology team is a big deal,
      challenging decades of human origins research."
      "Buried amid scattered stone tools and the bones of
      pygmy elephants at Liang Bua cave on the eastern
      Indonesian island of Flores were the skeletal remains of a
      female belonging to the species that the discoverers have
      formally named Homo floresiensis."
      Flores Island lies 500 kilometers (300 miles) east of
      Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia.
      "In today's Nature journal, the team, led by Peter
      Brown of Australia's University of New England, describes
      the being as a human relative, or hominid, that stood less
      than 40 inches (100 centimeters or 1 meter) tall. Except
      for a snout, she had a human face and a brain one-third
      the size of ours. She was older than 30, judging from her
      worn teeth and bone structure. Though like modern humans
      in some respect, she also resembled ancient species."
      "'Probably this is one of the most important
      discoveries in hominid paleontological history,' says
      University of Pittsburgh paleontologist Jeffrey Schwartz.
      'This is just about the wildest thing anyone could have
      discovered."
      "Brown's team believes that Hobbit is an example of
      island dwarfism, the widely observed tendency of isolated
      species to evolve toward smaller sizes because they are
      separated from mainland predators. The scientists suggest
      that the species started as an offshoot of Homo erectus, a
      human ancestor dating to 1.8 million years ago, that
      reached Flores by boat and eventually got smaller hunting
      pygmy elephants and dodging Komodo dragons."
      "These beings must have been reasonably smart 'as
      they were manufacturing sophisticated stone tools, hunting
      pygmy elephants and crossing at least two water barriers
      to reach Flores,' says study co-author Richard Roberts of
      the University of Wollongong. 'The latter two activities
      must surely have been group activities, which implies
      communicative skills and use of language...all with a
      brain the size of a grapefruit.'"
      "Indeed, the brain size of Homo floresiensis is most
      like those of our ancestors who lived more than 3 million
      years ago. The ratio of brain size to body mass resembles
      that of present-day" chimpanzees.
      "'The idea of linear progress is brain size
      throughout human evolution has been the one steadily held
      idea in the field for the last few decades,' says Rick
      Potts, head of the Human Origins Program at the
      Smithsonian Institution. 'This is a big shot at that
      idea.'"
      "Since submitting the Nature paper, the discovery
      team has uncovered parts of five to seven other
      individuals of the same stature at the cave, Brown says."
      (See USA Today for October 28, 2004, "Hobbit-size skull
      holds surprises," page 1D.)
      (Editor's Comment: If there are Hobbits on Flores, does
      that mean Saruman's tower is at the bottom of the Savu
      Sea?)

      WITCHES PARDONED IN
      SCOTLAND ON HALLOWEEN

      "A Scottish township marked Halloween by officially
      pardoning 81 people--and their cats--executed centuries
      ago for being witches."
      "'There'll be no witches' hats, dress-ups or that
      sort of thing--it will be a fairly solemn occasion,' Adele
      Conn, spokeswoman for the baronial court that granted the
      pardons, said in a telephone interview Friday," October
      29, 2004.
      "Sunday's ceremony in Prestonpans publicly declared
      pardons for 81 people executed back in the Sixteenth and
      Seventeenth Centuries. The pardons were granted under
      ancient feudal powers due to be abolished within weeks."
      "More than 8,500 Scots, mainly women and children,
      and their cats, were killed in witch hunts at a time of
      political intrigue and religious excess. Many were
      condemned on flimsy evidence, such as owning a black cat
      or brewing homemade remedies."
      "Prestonpans had recorded one of the largest numbers
      of witch executions in all of Scotland, said Conn,
      spokeswoman for the Barons Court of Prestoungrange and
      Dolphinstoun."
      "She said Gordon Prestoungrange, the 14th baron,
      granted the pardons in the last session of his court,
      which is due to be abolished on November 28 (2004)."
      "'Most of those persons condemned for witchcraft
      within the jurisdiction of Prestoungrange and Dolphinstoun
      were convicted on the basis of spectral evidence--that is
      to say, prosecuting witnesses declared that they felt the
      presence of an evil spirit or heard spirit voices,' the
      court said in its written findings."
      (Editor's Note: During the famous Salem Witch Trials in
      Massachusetts in 1692, attorneys for the defendants tried
      to ban spectral evidence from being introduced in court on
      the grounds that it constituted hearsay. But Justice
      Hawthorne of the Court of Oyer and Terminer ruled that
      spectral evidence could be introduced. The result?
      Nineteen people were convicted of witchcraft. Eighteen
      were hanged and one, Giles Corey, was pressed to death.)
      "'Such spectral evidence is impossible to prove or to
      disprove; nor is it possible for the accused to cross-
      examine the spirit concerned. One is convicted upon the
      very making of such charges without any possibility of
      offering a defence.'"
      "Conn said 15 local descendants of executed witches
      had been invited to attend the ceremony and an inaugural
      Witches' Remembrance Day, which will become an annual
      event in the township each Halloween."
      "The last execution for witchcraft in Scotland was in
      1727. Such cases were outlawed by the Witchcraft Act of
      1735, which made it a crime only to pretend to be a
      witch." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for October
      30, 2004, "On Halloween, Scottish town to officially
      pardon witches executed centuries ago," page 4A.)

      FAIRHAVEN, MASS. POLICE
      PROBE MURDER THREAT

      Just a week after police in Massachusetts made the
      latest arrest in the NBK conspiracy case, a middle school
      in Fairhaven, Mass. (population 16,132) received a note
      threatening to "kill everyone."
      "Police spent Tuesday afternoon," October 26, 2004,
      "searching the Hastings Middle School" in Fairhaven "for
      weapons. News Channel 10," in nearby Providence, Rhode
      Island, "was informed that a threatening note was found in
      a schoolbook. The report told Channel 10 that when the
      note was written is unknown."
      "The note reportedly threatens to kill everyone" at
      Hastings Middle School on Wednesday, October 27, 2004.
      "Fairhaven police said the (town) school department
      said a note was sent home to parents telling them about
      the threat. It was up to parents if they wanted to send
      their children to school on Wednesday."
      In Marshfield, Mass. (population 4,246), police
      arrested teenaged boys alleged to belong to a group called
      NBK (named after the movie Natural Born Killers--J.T.).
      The arrest warrant alleged that members of NBK were
      planning to carry out a Columbine-style massacre in
      Marshfield during April 2005. (See the News Channel 10
      Web site for October 26, 2004. Many thanks to Mary Lou
      Jones-Drown for this news story.)

      SPY BLIMP SIGHTED AGAIN
      IN NEW ENGLAND STATES

      The mysterious white spy blimp, seen recently over
      the Massachusetts-Rhode Island stateline area, reappeared
      during daylight hours on Saturday, October 23, and Sunday,
      October 24, 2004.
      UFO Roundup correspondent Mary Lou Jones-Drown
      reported, "I received dozens of reports the day after the
      sightings. Phyllis (a local teacher-J.T.) called and said
      it was all her (high school) students were talking about."
      The blimp, described as "dull white with no markings
      except a vertical red stripe on the tail (empennage--
      J.T.)," was spotted during the early afternoon of
      Saturday, October 23, 2004, over the Philipsdale and
      Rumford sections of East Providence, R.I. (population
      48,688), over the Agawam Hunt Club and Central Pond in
      East Providence, and over a golf course just east of Route
      114 near Six Corners in Rumford.
      The blimp was then seen in Rehoboth, Mass., 7 miles
      (11 kilometers) east of Rumford, on Sunday, October 24,
      2004.
      "One witness saw the white blimp hovering over the
      millrace on Perryville Road (in Rehoboth), right at
      treetop level. When she went to get some binoculars, the
      blimp turned northwest and headed for North Seekonk," Mary
      Lou reported, "I have no idea what they were looking for
      out there. That's a heavily-wooded area, only a few
      farms."
      (Editor's Note: The old mill on Perryville Road is
      notorious for its ghost sightings.)
      "A family on Danforth Road saw the blimp pass over
      their backyard at an altitude of 100 feet (30 meters).
      The engine sound was very faint."
      Another sighting was over North Walker Street in
      Taunton, Mass., 5 miles (8 kilometers) east of Rehoboth.
      The blimp was also sighted over the Three Mile River
      in North Dighton and three miles (5 kilometers) to the
      south, in Segregansett, Mass.
      On Monday, October 25, 2004, Mary Lou reported,
      "Betty, a 58-year-old eyewitness, went outside to take her
      wash off the line. She lives on Hortonville Road in
      Swansea, Mass. (just south of Rehoboth--J.T.) She saw the
      blimp just above the tops of the pine trees east of her
      farmhouse. It was moving very slowly, and there was
      scarcely any engine noise."
      That afternoon, a woman and her brother, both in
      their 80s, were raking leaves and cleaning up the yard of
      their farmhouse on Hornbine Road in South Rehoboth. "They
      saw the white blimp coming up from the southeast. When it
      got to Hornbine Road, it turned away from them and began
      moving southwest, towards Barrington, R.I. The man, a
      World War II veteran, said he remembered seeing Navy
      blimps over Mount Hope Bay 60 years ago. He thought the
      white blimp was protecting the Brayton Point electrical
      generating station" in Fall River, Mass. "from terrorist
      attack. The kids in Phyllis's class thought it had
      something to do with the (Boston) Red Sox," which won the
      2004 World Series a few days afterward.
      No sooner had the spy blimp left the area than
      Rehoboth residents again began seeing and hearing black
      helicopters.
      "We had a lot of sightings on Friday," October 30,
      2004, Mary Lou reported. "I heard loud helicopter engine
      noise early that morning. It sounded very close to the
      house. But when my husband and I went outside, we
      couldn't see anything. People living up behind the Palmer
      River School, just north of Route 44, heard and saw the
      helicopters. There were two of them, both pitch black and
      what they described as 'military.' They were flying from
      east to west over the woods, just over the treetops, 'very
      low and slow' as if they were looking for something.
      We've also heard a lot of high-flying jets in the
      evening."
      Rehoboth was the site of black helicopter flaps
      during the summer months of 2002 and 2003. (Many thanks
      to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for these news reports.)

      FLASHING UFO SIGHTED IN
      NOVA SCOTIA, CANADA

      On Wednesday, October 13, 2004, at 10 p.m., Dean
      Murphy looked out the window of his home in Great Village,
      Nova Scotia, Canada. "It was a clear night," Dean
      reported, "The object was moving west. It was two
      flashing lights in the sky, one on top of the other. They
      were orange lights. One was slightly ahead of the other.
      My guess is that the objects were 6 metres (20 feet) tall
      and 10 metres (33 feet) wide. I kept both of them in view
      until they were out of sight."
      Great Village (population 620) is on Route 2, on the
      north shore of Cobequid Bay, about 40 miles (64
      kilometers) north of Dartmouth and Halifax, N.S. (Email
      Form Report)

      ISRAELI KNESSET PASSES
      LAW TO ARREST FOREIGN
      "HOLOCAUST DENIERS"

      "Legislation that would make Holocaust-denial
      committed overseas an offense under Israeli legal
      jurisdiction was passed unanimously in first reading by
      the Knesset on Tuesday," October 19, 2004.
      "The passage of the measure would enable Israel to
      demand the extradition of Holocaust-deniers for
      prosecution."
      "The bill was drafted by MK (Member of the Knesset--
      J.T.) Aryeh Eldad" of the National Union Party "in a move
      against former Palestinian Authority prime minister
      Mahmoud Abbas (also known as Abu Mazen--J.T.) for his
      doctoral dissertation twenty years ago in which he
      estimated that the Nazis killed less than a million Jews"
      during World War II.
      "It is likely to serve as a deterrent against
      Holocaust-deniers visiting Israel, although the
      possibility of countries consenting to extradition of the
      offenders is unlikely."
      "The legislation extends the territorial jurisdiction
      of the Israeli law against Holocaust denial outside of its
      borders." (See the Jerusalem Post for October 23, 2004,
      "Global Holocaust-denial bill passed in Knesset." Many
      thanks to Wes Boutilier for this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: So even if you think there are holes
      in that Holocaust story you could drive a German gas van
      through, you'd better not say anything, or you'll end up
      in the glass booth with Ernst Zundel, Mel Gibson's dad and
      a host of other supposed "criminals" under Israeli law.)

      DUBYA SIGNS GLOBAL
      ANTI-SEMITISM BILL

      "In Sunrise, Florida (population 85,779), President
      George W. Bush said he had signed into law a bill
      requiring the (USA's) State Department to monitor global
      anti-Semitism and rate countries annually on their
      treatment of Jews."
      "'This nation will keep watch; we will make sure that
      the ancient impulse of anti-Semitism never finds a home in
      the modern world,' Bush said as he campaigned in the key
      battleground state of Florida. The state's Jewish
      population is the third largest in the world after Israel
      and New York" state in the northeastern USA.
      "The U.S. State Department had opposed the
      legislation, saying it was unnecessary as the Department
      already compiles such information in its annual reports on
      human rights and religious freedom."
      "'Extending freedom also means destroying the evil of
      anti-Semitism,' Bush told thousands of cheering supporters
      packed into a sports arena usually used by the Florida
      Panthers professional ice hockey team."
      "'Today I signed the Global Anti-Semitism Review Act
      of 2004. The law commits the government to keep a record
      of anti-Semitic acts throughout the world, and also a
      record of responses to those acts,' he said."
      "Jewish voters are thought to back the Democrats
      historically, but the Bush campaign hopes that his strong
      support for Israel and aggressive outreach efforts could
      gain a majority of Florida's sizeable Jewish community."
      "The State Department had drawn fire for their
      position from Jewish groups--which wield significant
      political power, especially during a presidential election
      year--and in September (2004) over 100 prominent Americans
      signed a letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell,"
      demanding that the Department change its stance.
      "'The fight against anti-Semitism deserves specific,
      focused attention,' said the letter, which was signed by
      former Republican vice presidential nominee Jack Kemp and
      ex-UN Ambassador Jeane Kirkpatrick, among others."
      "The bill, known as the Global Anti-Semitism Review
      Act, was introduced by California Democratic
      Representative Tom Lantos, the only Holocaust survivor in
      the Congress, in response to recent acts of anti-Semitism
      in Europe and the Middle East."
      "Jewish groups have hailed passage of the bill, which
      they said provided a new avenue to fight anti-Semitism."
      "Under the legislation, the State Department will
      have to produce an annual report on anti-Semitism around
      the world and fund a specific office headed by a special
      envoy to document anti-Semitic incidents and design
      strategies to combat them."
      "It requires the Department to documents acts of
      physical violence against Jews, their property, cemeteries
      and places of worship abroad and to monitor the local
      government's response to this and to take note of
      instances of anti-Jewish prejudice and governments'
      efforts to promote unbiased school curricula."
      The president signed the legislation aboard Air Force
      One on Thursday, October 28, 2004, on his way to Florida.
      (See the Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Sun-Sentinel of October 29,
      2004, "Bush signs global 'anti-Semitism' law." Many
      thanks to Jim Dean of Heritage TV for this newspaper
      article.)
      (Editor's Comment: So much for the "make no establishment
      of religion" clause in the Bill of Rights' First
      Amendment. I never thought I'd see the day when an
      American president--and a Republican, no less!--would sign
      a bill trampling the First Amendment and in effect
      enshrining Orthodox Judaism as the de facto state religion
      of the USA.)

      HALLOWEEN UNDER FIRE

      "The school superintendent's order was final.
      Halloween was 'prohibited' during school hours. Black
      cats, pointy hats and all images of witches could no
      longer be displayed in any of the 31 schools in" Puyallup,
      Washington state, USA (population 33,011), a "suburban
      city south of Seattle."
      "The first official reason: Halloween parties and
      costumes detract from the (school) district's core mission
      of academic achievement in a competitive world."
      "The second official reason: 'We have been contacted
      by followers of the Wiccan religion, and they indicated
      that they have been offended after seeing elementary
      school depictions of witches with long noses, warts,
      cauldrons and such,' said Tony Apostle, the superintendent
      who banned Halloween."
      "When Apostle's order was issued two weeks ago,
      parents alerted the media and howled about political
      correctness. 'What is next? Santa?' many asked."
      "They packed a School Board meeting last week, where
      children waved signs ('Ghosts and Goblins have rights,
      too!') and parents jeered the superintendent, along with
      the School Board that supported his Halloween edict."
      "The Puyallup Halloween uprising is not an isolated
      event. It is part of a contentious nationwide trend, as
      public school administrators, in the name of test-centered
      learning and multicultural sensitivity, attempt to
      abbreviate and homogenize classroom celebrations of
      Halloween, Christmas and Easter."
      "To prepare even kindergarten-age children for a
      career of standardized testing, recess, naps and field
      trips, in-school parties of all kinds are being cut back
      or phased out in many schools across the country,
      according to Daniel Kaufman, a spokesman for the National
      Education Association. He said the federal No Child Left
      Behind Act, which starts testing at third grade, has
      accelerated the trend."
      "Complains about Halloween from Pentecostal
      (Christian) parents in Texas have forced a significant
      number of the state's school districts to cancel in-school
      parties, said Richard Stadelmann, a professor of religious
      studies at Texas A & M University."
      "There is a geographical pattern to the grumbling,
      according to Stadelmann and others. Christian complaints
      come mostly from the South and the West, whereas Wiccan
      complaints are more likely to come from California and the
      Pacific Northwest."
      "Much of this complaining from pagans and Christians
      is unwarranted by the facts, according to Judith
      Schaeffer, deputy legal director of People for the
      American Way Foundation, a liberal organization that often
      goes to court to defend separation of church and state."
      "'Looking at Halloween from the perspective of a
      reasonable parent, Halloween is not a religious
      celebration, it is a secular enjoyment, candies and
      dressing up,' she said, 'It is not something that schools
      need to band.'"
      "Puyallup Superintendent Apostle respectfully
      disagrees. He said that while he personally enjoys
      Halloween--his home has pumpkins, and he plans to take his
      two daughters trick-or-treating--the educational demands
      and religious sensitivities of modern America make his ban
      necessary."
      "'Things are not like they used to be,' Apostle said,
      'We have reached a time in our society when activities
      that make some children uncomfortable--that exclude some
      children because of faith, values or culture--need to be
      scheduled outside of the school day.'" (See the
      Washington Post for October 31, 2004, "Schools cast out
      Halloween." Many thanks to Jim Danvers for this newspaper
      article.)

      From the UFO Files...

      2004: STRANGE MANEUVERS

      On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 4:35 a.m., I awoke
      momentarily, glanced at the digital clock and closed my
      eyes again. What followed was the most vivid, realistic,
      detailed precognitive dream I've ever had. Here it is:
      I dreamed that I had just stepped onto a Greyhound
      bus. I stopped for a second, thinking, Wait a minute!
      What am I doing here? A male voice behind me said," Hey!
      What's the hold-up!?" And I felt a hand on my right
      shoulder. I turned, and it was Tackanash.
      Now, Tackanash is an elderly Anishinabe (sometimes
      called Chippewa Indian --J.T.) who has appeared from time
      to time in dreams throughout my life. Spirit guide,
      guardian angel--I don't know what you'd call him. My
      communication with Tackanash is strictly a one-way street.
      I don't contact him--he contacts me! In fact, it's been
      quite a while since the last "contact." That was three
      and a half years ago, on Sunday, May 20, 2001, when I was
      deathly sick with the flu.
      He gave me a nudge. "Take a seat, Joe. There's a
      line behind us."
      I slid into a plush seat by a left-side window.
      "Hey, it's been a while." To my surprise, he took the
      seat immediately behind me. "Why don't you sit here?"
      Tackanash shook his head. "We're here to observe,
      youngster."
      "Where are we?"
      "The Mohawk Trail," he said, and then sat back in his
      own seat.
      I glanced out the window. Sure enough, I was in
      Massachusetts. The bus was parked in front of the
      Searstown Mall in North Leominster, Mass., near the
      junction of Route 2 and Route 13. The last time I was
      here on a day trip was in February 1998, over six years
      ago, so there were a few new stores and businesses around.
      Just then, over a dozen men and women boarded. They
      were in their 20s and 30s, and they all seemed to know
      each other. A brown-haired woman with a J.Lo-type
      ponytail, wearing a long-sleeved sweatshirt and slacks,
      took the seat beside me. She tucked her vinyl carryon bag
      beneath the seat in front.
      As soon as everyone was seated, the pneumatic door
      hissed shut, and, with a low engine rumble, the bus pulled
      out of the parking lot.
      Within minutes we were heading west on Route 2, up
      the steep slope into the town of Westminster. The day was
      sunny, and it was late morning. I'm guessing at the time
      of year, but I would say it was late April or early May.
      The maple leaves were green, and there were blossoms
      everywhere.
      About the time we got to Athol, I learned the young
      lady's first name--Lisa. She gave me a strange look.
      "You're not from around here, are you?"
      I grinned. Honey, I lived in the Commonwealth more
      years than you've been alive. And I replied, "No. I'm
      from the Upper Midwest."
      "What are you doing out here?"
      "Visiting some family." I glanced at Tackanash.
      "Now I'm headed home. How about you?"
      "I've been called up. I just got the fax yesterday."
      "Called up?" I echoed.
      "National Guard," she replied, "Mister, everybody's
      been called up."
      That was the first indication I had in the dream that
      "something big" had happened. Something really big. I do
      not know what it was. I do not know what date it was or
      who had won the 2004 presidential election or if Britney
      Spears was still married or anything else. I just had the
      feeling that "something big" had happened--something on
      the order of the Kennedy assassination or 9/11--and that I
      shouldn't ask Lisa, because she automatically assumed that
      I knew why she and the rest of the Guardsmen had been
      called up. Which, of course, I didn't.
      Lisa didn't care to discuss the National Guard,
      except to confirm what I already suspected--that the men
      and women who boarded at Searstown were all members of the
      same unit. She was from Gardner, Mass. but had grown up
      in nearby Fitchburg, where I had worked for three years
      back in the 1970s. So we chatted off and on about
      Fitchburg as the bus headed west on Route 2.
      As we crossed Franklin County, Lisa excused herself
      and headed aft to the onboard toilet. Tackanash poked the
      back of my head, whispering, "Take a look in her carryon
      bag. Quickly, boy."
      The bag was unzipped, so I leaned forward and pushed
      the zipper edges apart and caught a glimpse of what looked
      like a mustard-yellow magazine. The black-letter title
      jumped out at me. Operation Abacus - Training Guide
      I plucked it out of the bag and ruffled the pages. I
      had the impression it was a compendium of other Army Field
      Manuals--different pages with checklists of equipment to
      be used, diagrams of different weapons, landing zones and
      detention camps, procedures for processing P.O.W.s, and
      then, as if by itself, the booklet fell open to a really
      scary page.

      Questions for Suspect Civilian Detainees

      (1) Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal
      Savior?
      (2) Do you and your family tithe?
      (3) Do you attend church services more than once a
      week?
      (4) Do you give financial support to televangelists?
      (5) Do you agree that Christianity was primarily
      responsible for the Holocaust?

      There were more questions, and, beside each of them,
      a little check-mark box. I felt a sudden shiver,
      thinking, Talk about loaded questions!
      "She's coming back," whispered Tackanash.
      I slipped the manual back into her carryon, then
      stretched out and settled back and forced a smile. She
      sat down again. Just then, a white highway sign marked
      Shelburne whizzed by the left-side window.
      "Almost there," she muttered, not at all pleased at
      the prospect.
      "You're going to Shelburne?" I remarked, "Why didn't
      you just take your car?"
      "I won't need a car where I'm going," Lisa said, and
      then, almost as an after-thought, "Where did you say you
      were from, Joe?"
      "Upper Midwest." But I gave her the wrong city.
      "Ironwood, Michigan."
      The Guardsmen were the first people off the bus,
      followed by a woman with three children. Tackanash and I
      brought up the rear. We walked away from the bus as the
      driver slid open the luggage bay doors. The bay was
      filled with packed olive drab duffel bags. Two passengers
      began hauling them onto the asphalt. Like Lisa and the
      others, they were in casual civilian clothes. Then a
      female sergeant in Woodland Camo BDUs came over and told
      them to grab their gear and line up. And that was the
      last I saw of Lisa and her colleagues.
      Walking out of the parking lot, I looked around in
      amazement. I hadn't been to Shelburne in thirty years. A
      few of the older buildings that I remembered were gone.
      Others, like Cumberland Farms, were still there. For a
      moment, I thought about going over there and looking at
      page one of the Boston Globe or the Boston Herald, just
      to see what today's date was. But Tackanash steered me
      away.
      "All right, Nimishoo," I murmured. (That's the
      Anishinabe word for Grandfather, my nickname for
      Tackanash.) "Now I understand why you brought me here.
      Operation Abacus is off the shelf, I take it."
      "Off the shelf and ready to go," he said.
      "How much time do we have left?" I asked.
      "Not much, boy. It will happen soon. Sooner than
      anyone thinks. The Likud plans to move against the born-
      again Christians very soon."
      "Why Shelburne? What are we doing here?"
      Tackanash gestured at a crowd of people lined up to
      watch a parade of Humvees. "The town council volunteered
      to serve as a temporary training site. The whole
      Massachusetts National Guard is moving through here.
      They want to train as many people as they can in the next
      couple of weeks."
      I noticed that several streets were cordoned off with
      yellow police tape. The crowd stayed on one side of the
      tape. Two-decker homes and bungalows were on the other
      side. Typical Small Town USA. Lawn furniture and gardens
      and a lone tricycle.
      Then an M2 Bradley came up the street, with crouching
      soldiers in full combat gear moving behind the armored
      vehicle. The soldiers fanned out and took up position on
      either side of a bungalow. There was a rattle of machine
      gun and M-16 rifle fire, followed by a bullhorn voice
      saying, "The house is surrounded. Open the front door and
      slide your weapons onto the porch. Then come out, one at
      a time, with your hands on top of your heads."
      I watched as other Guardsmen, without helmets and
      wearing bright orange vests, came out of the house. They
      were role-playing, the "terrorists" of this exercise. One
      by one, they were grabbed by the rifle-toting soldiers and
      led down the front steps. It was P.O.W.-handling right
      out of the manual. Prisoners searched, pockets emptied,
      wristwatch and belt removed, prisoners kept at a distance
      from each other, pocket contents dumped into a clear vinyl
      evidence bag, which was then marked by a grease pencil.
      The lead "terrorist" was carrying a book in one hand.
      I recognized it as a small, leather-covered King James
      Bible. This, too, was taken from her and dropped into a
      vinyl evidence bag and marked.
      Without knowing quite how, I found myself inside the
      yellow line, standing with Tackanash at the rear of a
      platoon of uniformed Guardsmen. They were watching the
      exercise. The black sergeant out in front said, "Pay
      close attention to the extraction. We're on deck at 1330.
      We're going to do it all, including the extraction. So
      pay attention."
      "I see," I whispered to Tackanash, "They're walking
      them through it. Sort of like a dress rehearsal. They
      see it done, and then they have to do it." Mild tone of
      disbelief. "They're doing this with everybody in the
      Guard!?"
      "The whole division, Joe. And not just in
      Massachusetts, either."
      Hearing helicopter engine noise, I looked up. No, it
      wasn't a black helicopter. Not this time. It was your
      plain old Army dark-green H60 Blackhawk, heading our way.
      I glanced back at the soldiers. One squad had formed a
      circular perimeter in the middle of the street, weapons
      facing outward. Into this came "Bible Woman" with her
      hands trussed behind her with plastic loops, escorted by
      four captors.
      As the chopper hovered overhead, blasting us all with
      "rotor wash," one soldier shook out a plastic-looking set
      of coveralls, dark blue with iridescent green overtones.
      Another soldier cut the plastic loops, and the first one
      gave the "blue suit" to the woman. She put it on. The
      coveralls had extra-long sleeves, like those old
      Nineteenth Century straitjackets, plus reinforced webbing
      sewn right into the arms, shoulders and crotch. Once the
      sleeves were fastened behind her, "Bible Woman" was again
      securely trussed up. Two soldiers yanked on different
      parts of the suit, bringing out small straps with steel
      grommets.
      Down came a cable from the helicopter, festooned with
      smaller cables with clip ends. These clips were fastened
      to each grommet on the blue suit. Then the squad leader
      hand-signaled the chopper. "Bible Woman" was hauled in
      like a rainbow trout. Two soldiers aboard the chopper
      swung the boom in, and she disappeared into the craft.
      The observation platoon headed towards the M2
      Bradley. Tackanash and I went in the opposite direction.
      "With enough blue suits, you could fill that chopper
      with prisoners," I said, keeping my voice low.
      "That's the idea, youngster. Then the chopper heads
      straight to the collection point with all them Jesus
      people."
      I shuddered. "I don't think that's what Hal Lindsey
      had in mind, Nimishoo, when he wrote about the Rapture."
      I cast an apprehensive look around at all the uniforms,
      deuce-and-a-half trucks and Humvees. "Let's get out of
      here."
      Behind me, I heard a burst of applause from the
      townspeople. Some of them were actually cheering. And
      why not? Bad-guy terrorists get hauled away. America
      wins again. Is this a great country or what?
      People, if only you knew what you were applauding...I
      thought.
      Just as I thought we were going to have to hoof it to
      Greenfield, I spotted an old car parked further down the
      street, in the shade of a big maple. I recognized the
      model at once--a 1971 Chevrolet Nova. And it was
      unlocked. Kind of rusty, too.
      I slid into the front seat, remarking, "You know, if I
      knew how to hot-wire a car, we could ride out in style."
      Tackanash handed me a key. "Try this."
      I coaxed the engine to sputtering life. It had a
      knock like a persistent woodpecker. It ran a lot rougher
      than the Nova I once owned. But it ran, and that was the
      important thing. I wanted very much to get out of
      Shelburne.
      "Where are you going?" Tackanash asked.
      "North," I replied, "We keep heading that way, and
      we'll run into Route 2."
      I turned twice, both times going right, pretty sure
      I'd gotten beyond the training zone. Too late.
      Fluttering yellow tape crossed the road ahead of me. I
      stepped down gently on the brake. But before I could back
      up, an M.P. appeared and bellowed, "Hey!"
      Suddenly, I realized that I was alone in the front
      seat. Tackanash was gone. As I glanced in the rearview
      mirror, I got a second shock. I was wearing a Woodland
      Camo uniform.
      The M.P. rapped on the side window. I rolled it
      down.
      "Goddammit! This is a restricted area!"
      "Sorry." I blurted out the first thing that popped
      into my head. "I'm late for formation. Where's the
      parking?"
      "That way! Second right!" He bellowed, thrusting
      out his fist. "Get that rolling piece of shit out of
      here!"
      Well, the M.P. didn't have to repeat himself. I did
      a bucking backup, angled the wheels sharp right and hit
      the gas pedal, heading down a narrow side street running
      parallel with those yellow tapes. I went by the second
      street on the right and floored it, heedless of
      Tackanash's disappearance and the magickal transformation
      of my casual clothes. All I wanted was to get away from
      there as fast as possible.
      Up ahead, I saw the truck traffic on Route 2.
      And I woke up.
      The digital clock read 6:03 a.m. I was breathing
      hard, sweating all over. My God, what a dream!
      I have no idea when this future event is to take
      place. When I "land" in these dreams, I'm like the guy
      who walked into the middle of a movie. I don't really
      know what's going on. I have to pick it all up as I go.
      Judging from the military vehicles and the uniforms,
      I'm guessing that "Shelburne" takes place in the near
      future. It could be next year, the year after that or
      even ten years from now. What is hardest to convey is the
      palpable sense of urgency I felt within the context of
      this dream--the sense that "something big" had happened in
      the USA, necessitating the nationwide call-up of the
      National Guard.
      There was also a sense of "hurry up and get it done" in
      the training exercise and among the military personnel I
      observed.
      Unlike the "Great Lakes Disaster" dreams, this one
      didn't have a "Last Days" feel to it. It was more like
      that "Attleboro in 2060" dream I had three years ago.
      Will it happen? I sure hope not! But, as always,
      let's wait and see...

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth...and occasionally, Saturn...brought to you
      by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you then!

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.