Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 40

Expand Messages
  • John Hayes
    Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor. ========================== UFO ROUNDUP Volume 9, Number 40 October 6, 2004 Editor: Joseph Trainor
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.


      Volume 9, Number 40
      October 6, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/


      On Tuesday, September 28, 2004, at 8:20 p.m., Luke M.
      and his buddy, Jeff, were playing basketball in the
      parking lot of the Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church in
      Wichita, Kansas (population 344,284) when they had a most
      unusual experience.
      "I was playing basketball, the second time in the
      day," Luke reported, "I was there with my friend Jeff. We
      were playing basketball to spend time until my friend was
      done with church. We hadn't seen my friend Glenda in a
      couple of years. The sighting happened maybe 10, 20
      minutes before I saw her."
      "I was standing there in front of the basketball
      goal, about to take another shot. As I suddenly stepped
      left, unknowingly, to see something strange in the sky.
      The basketball goal faces north, in which I was facing
      south to shoot hoops. Anyway, I stepped to the left to
      get the basketball goal out of my way, and I was puzzled
      and awed at what I see in the maybe half-cloudy night sky.
      I tried to tell my friend Jeff what I was seeing, but I am
      in shock."
      "I nearly dropped my basketball when I saw a V-wing
      formation of four angel/butterfly/moth-shaped things
      flying through the sky. They were flying like birds or
      fighter jets do in a V-wing formation, with one on the
      left of the formation and two on the right and one in the
      middle or the front. They were perfectly ordered, in
      equal distance from each other for the entire time. They
      were maybe the size of a Lear jet or maybe a (Boeing) 747,
      and at maybe an angle of 45 to 50 degrees up (above the
      horizon--J.T.). They were perfectly south, away from the
      church, not gaining or losing altitude. I saw them for a
      total of maybe 10 to 15 seconds."
      "As for what they looked like, they looked like great
      butterflies that were made completely of light. You could
      say that the entire content of their bodies was like a
      lightning bug's lit-up butt but completely like a yellow
      house (light) bulb and without any light radiating from
      it. (The bodies did not glow or have an aura--J.T.) They
      were no airplanes, and it was nothing like what people say
      an alien craft looks like."
      "My friend Jeff, later on that night, said something
      about the four objects maybe being 'angels coming to
      collect people before the asteroid might hit today,'
      referring to the Toutatis asteroid's 930,000-mile
      approach" to Earth on Wednesday, September 29, 2004.
      "I then thought they actually did look like angels,
      but I never thought an angel could have butterfly-like
      wings. I felt strongly all week that the coming of
      Toutatis could bring me some sort of sign. I didn't know
      what it could be, though."
      "I know they were not airplanes because they were
      made of light--for one--and were not shaped right, but
      mainly that there were four objects flapping their wings
      just like a butterfly, and airplanes cannot flap their
      wings like a butterfly."
      "In conclusion, all I can say is that I saw what
      clearly appeared to be four angels flying in the sky. I
      had already seen first-hand proof of supernatural
      existence, but this is another solid-proof experience for
      me. This is the third time that I have been shown that
      there is something out there. I guess maybe I submitted
      this (report) because I have never heard of anything like
      this happening before, and I never thought it could
      actually happen to me."
      Luke added, "I don't know what religion I am,
      previously Christian, but now I don't know which religion,
      for certain reasons. The point is, I do believe in a God-
      like presence (maybe in Bushi-do or Gnostic-type--L.M.),
      and I do believe in ghosts, since I have had frequent
      experiences with them." (Email Form Report)
      (Editor's Comment: Reading Luke's report, the first thing
      that popped into my head was The Four Horsemen of the
      Apocalypse. The quartet was seen at Cova da Iria in
      Portugal on September 13, 1917 by the Fatima seers, Lucia
      Abobora dos Santos, Francisco Marto and Jacinta Marto. As
      for an angelic presence in Kansas, who knows? Maybe
      they're having dress rehearsals for the Rapture.)


      "Police and locals sought a 'strange creature' at
      Colonia Elia in the eastern reaches of" Entre Rios
      province in northeastern Argentina.
      "The police action came about when a neighbor
      reported that a large person or a large animal caused
      considerable damage in a henhouse behind his house, when
      it killed several hens."
      "A footprint, hair and other traces were found at the
      site, which gave the claim credibility."
      "Oscar Resteinor, a resident of the rural area,
      reported to the Colonia Elia sheriff's office that for 20
      days now he has been witnessing the presence of this
      being, with clearly abnormal characteristics, prowling
      around his house. He claims that he has not been able to
      identify if it's an animal or a person. It also had
      yellowish hair of considerable length, claw-like nails,
      and it left large footprints, walking with its hind legs
      like a human or a primate."
      (Editor's Comment: From the description, it sounds like a
      Mapinguary, a large ape-like creature, known as "the
      Bigfoot of South America.")
      "After the attack to his henhouse, Resteinor and his
      family and neighbors began a watch in order to catch the
      strange being, according to Analisis Digital," a Web site
      in Buenos Aires.
      "The Entre Rios police admit to having found several
      footprints and hairs measuring between 6 and 10
      centimeters (2.5 to 4 inches) in length, as well as a claw
      or fingernail embedded in a tree trunk."
      "Plaster casts were made of the footprints, which
      were described as 'man-like' but larger and wider than
      Entre Rios is the Argentinian province bordering both
      Brazil and Paraguay. It's located 600 kilometers (360
      miles) north of Buenos Aires. (See the InfoBAE Web site
      for September 28, 2004. Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y
      Gloria Coluchi para estas noticias.)


      "The UFO phenomenon manifested itself last night
      (Monday, September 27, 2004) when several drivers
      traveling from Monte Hermoso to Bahia Blanca saw red and
      white lights in the sky for several minutes, which later
      vanished over the fields."
      "Drivers on their way back from Monte Hermoso to
      Bahia Blanca reported having seen several flying saucers
      on National Highway 3 and Route 229, which provides access
      to the town of Punta Alta."
      "Carlos Ceria, a resident of Punta Alta and one of
      the witnesses to the event, said he was 'driving on
      Highway 3 when, to the left of the road, my family and I
      observed two flying objects of great (luminous-S.C.)
      intensity and whitish in color."
      "'Afterward, having turned onto Route 229, we also
      saw red lights suspended in the air for 15 minutes, but
      then seemed to turn off, as though there was a landing
      strip on the field,' Ceria added."
      "Sources at the Traffic Police in Bahia Blanca," a
      large city located 300 kilometers (180 miles) south of
      Argentina's capital, Buenos Aires, "reported that 'many
      people remarked about what had happened, but it isn't
      something that can be investigated by the police.'"
      "'Several drivers phoned us last night to report that
      they had seen UFOs at the 630-kilometer marker on National
      Highway 3, in the location known as Bajo Hondo,' said the
      police spokesman." (See the InfoBAE Web site for
      September 28, 2004, "UFOs reported in Monte Hermoso."
      Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para
      estas noticias.)


      "Early morning motorists driving through Norfolk and
      Cambridgeshire yesterday (Sunday, September 26, 2004)
      could hold the key to finding out more about the meteorite
      or fireball sighted over the region."
      "Around twenty motorists driving down the area's
      roads from around 6:30 a.m. reported seeing the fireball,
      which was described as having a bright glow followed by a
      long trail of light."
      "They reported their sightings to Graham Barnard on
      his Today in Norfolk early morning radio programme on BBC
      Radio Norfolk."
      "Mr. Barnard told the EDP that around 20 callers rang
      in from around 6:30 a.m. to report to presenter (announcer
      in the USA--J.T.) Wally Webb" of having seen "a fireball
      mainly in the sky above the west and south of the county."
      "'Callers had their own theories as to what it was,
      ranging from a fireball, a firework, or, in the case of a
      caller from the Thetford area, an aircraft on fire, but we
      quickly put listeners' minds to rest that it wasn't an
      aircraft,' said Mr. Barnard."
      "Yesterday the fireball was confirmed as being a
      fireball or meteorite by Mark Lawick-Thompson, chairman of
      the Norwich Astronomical Society."
      "He said the fireball could have broken up in the
      atmosphere, and the fragments might have landed but, until
      more detailed information about the sighting" was
      gathered, "it was not possible to say if any fragments had
      "The last reported sighting of a fireball in East
      Anglia was in Peterborough in 1991."
      "His view was shared by research scientist Vicky
      Pearson who said the sighting had been reported early
      yesterday morning in locations mainly in Southern England,
      including Oxford and Poole in Dorset, but there had also
      been sightings in the Midlands."
      "Miss Pearson, who is based at the Planetary and
      Space Science Research Institute at the Open University in
      Milton Keynes, said she had not received any of the
      reported sightings in Norfolk and Cambridgeshire."
      "She said that, until more information is available,
      it would not be possible to say if fragments had landed."
      (Many thanks to Jim Hickman, Executive Director of
      Skywatch International, for this news story.)


      On Sunday, September 26, 2004, at 6:15 p.m.,
      eyewitness Stace reported, "I went outside" at her home in
      Englewood, Colorado (population 31,727), a suburb of
      Denver, "to see if I might catch a glimpse of the sphere
      I've been seeing a lot of recently. It was a very crisp,
      clear evening, with a few high clouds drifting south to
      north. After just a few minutes, I noticed a bright,
      stationary object sitting in the sky above and in front of
      me--about 30 degrees east of the zenith."
      "I guessed right away that this was the same or a
      similar orb as the one I've reported to NUFORC and MUFON
      recently (and very similar to the one reported recently
      over the Twin Cities in Minnesota--Stace)."
      "Through binoculars, it was a steady white sphere,
      but to the naked eye it resembled a non-blinking bright
      star or planet shining in the blue sky. From my deck
      chair, using the overhead wires as a guide, I confirmed
      that the object was absolutely stationary, and remained so
      for 20 full minutes, not moving at all. Occasionally, a
      wispy cloud passed through or behind where the object
      "At about 6:25 p.m., my 16-year-old daughter came
      home, and I called her out and she looked at the object
      through binoculars and said it looked just like a white
      ball. Her 19-year-old friend arrived at about 6:30 p.m.
      and also came out and took a look at it through
      binoculars. We were discussing how strange it was that it
      seemed that whenever I looked for the sphere, I saw it."
      "I looked up again after a few seconds of not
      looking, and it had vanished. We were all very surprised
      that it had been shining so brightly, and then completely
      disappeared. The time was exactly 6:35 p.m."
      "The only thing I can determine may have led to it
      vanishing is that the sun may have dipped far enough
      behind the mountains that, if reflecting light, it very
      quickly lost the light source. However, according to the
      Denver-area statistics, local sunset time was nearly 15
      minutes later at 6:49 p.m."
      Stace estimated that the sphere's altitude was
      between 15,000 and 20,000 feet (4,500 to 6,000 meters).
      (Email Form Report)


      On Saturday, September 25, 2004, eyewitness Kaye and
      her family did some skywatching in Douglasville, Georgia
      (population 20,065). She reported, "Just wanted to tell
      someone about something I and my whole family saw this
      past Saturday night. We were outside here in
      Douglasville, Georgia, around the campfire. We had my
      husband's very powerful scope/night vision glasses. When
      you look into it, you can see millions of stars that you
      can't see with the naked eye. Every time you look up with
      it, you can see a shooting star that no one else can see.
      It's really awesome."
      "We have done this about three nights now. On
      Saturday night, when we were looking up, we saw a red
      light dancing in the sky. It looked just like a
      'spotlight' they use for the openings of businesses so
      everyone would come. I looked away (from the scope),
      thought I could see it in the sky, but I couldn't. I
      looked again (through the scope) and I continued to see it
      whirl around and go in all directions. It was almost too
      fast to keep up with."
      "Sometimes there were two at once. They could go in
      all directions, turning and going around, then would even
      stop and stand still. We watched for about an hour,
      letting everyone see it. But what in the world--or out--
      could it have been?"
      Douglasville, Ga. is on Route 8 about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) west of Atlanta. (Email Form Report)


      On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, eyewitness B.M. was
      outdoors at his workplace in East York, Ontario, a suburb
      of Toronto, Canada's largest city, when he spotted
      something odd approaching from the south, flying over Lake
      Ontario and then Danforth Avenue.
      "I had come outside for a breath of fresh air at work
      and noticed in an otherwise clear, cloudless sky a
      brilliant light in the distance, glowing and flashing
      every colour of the rainbow--green, blue, red, purple,
      white, yellow."
      "There were other lights on the object, near the end,
      and these were flashing like them. The object did not
      move for over an hour, but just stayed in place, glowing
      and radiating these colours. Being that I was at work, I
      could not watch it all night, but at last check it had
      been there over an hour." (Email Form Report)


      It was a double-header last week for the Fortean
      phenomenon known as the crazy crocs, i.e. out-of-place
      alligators that suddenly appear far outside their natural
      habitats and for inexplicable reasons. Alligator
      sightings were reported in upstate New York and in
      "Newburgh, N.Y. Town Police received a strange call
      for a Little Lane resident last night (Tuesday, September
      28, 2004). He thought there was an alligator in his front
      yard. When police pulled up to the scene, they found,
      sure enough, a live 3-foot (0.9-meter) alligator was, in
      fact, in the yard."
      "When police tried to corral the animal, it scurried
      onto Little Lane, then made a mad dash for a wooded area
      in an attempt to escape. Police Officer Sean Gerow chased
      it into the woods, grabbed it by the neck and secured it."
      "After coordinating with the state Department of
      Environmental Conservation, the alligator was turned over
      to an exotic pet expert for safekeeping."
      "It is unknown where the animal came from or how long
      it had been in the area."
      Newburgh, N.Y. (population 28,259) is on Route 9W, on
      the west bank of the Hudson River, approximately 64 miles
      (106 kilometers) north of New York City.
      On Monday, September 27, 2004, "two fishermen found a
      caiman crocodile while fishing on the Mississippi River"
      in Fridley, Minnesota (population 27,449). "Joe and Jeff
      Tigue of Brooklyn Park, Minn. spotted the reptile
      motionless about three feet from shore and decided to grab
      it. They used a shoelace to tie its jaws."
      "A Twin Cities wildlife expert said it was probably
      dumped by an owner."
      Fridley, Minn. is on Routes 47 and 65, on the east
      bank of the Mississippi River, 5 miles (8 kilometers)
      north of Minneapolis. (See the Mid-Hudson News of
      Newburgh, N.Y. for September 29, 2004, "What's that
      alligator doing in my front yard?" And USA Today for
      September 28, 2004, "Around the USA--Minnesota," page 10A.
      Many thanks to Loren Coleman for the Newburgh report.)
      (Editor's Note: Crazy Crocs are one of the longest-
      running phenomena in Forteana. A classic case took place
      in February 1892 when a crocodile 5 feet (1.5 meters) long
      was found on a bank of the Rock River in Janesville,
      Wisconsin. See The Complete Books of Charles Fort, Dover
      Publications Inc., New York, N.Y. 1974, page 994.)


      Yet another mysterious fire has broken out in a place
      in the USA named for the Marquis de Lafayette, one of the
      country's founders and a prominent Freemason. This time
      it happened in Tennessee.
      "Flames burst through the rooftop of a grand Second
      Empire home on the Shelbyville Highway, destroying the
      roof and causing an inestimable amount of damage to the
      second floor."
      The firefighters of Fayetteville, Tennessee
      (population 6,994) "were enroute to the Inn at Cliffside
      at about 4:30 p.m."
      "'When we pulled out from the station, we saw the
      smoke,' said Chief Robert Strope of the Fayetteville Fire
      "Shortly after their arrival, the fire intensified.
      'The roof was engulfed in fire,' Strope said."
      "No one was in the house when the fire erupted. A
      heating and air conditioning unit in the attic may have
      caused the fire, the chief said."
      "The roof fell in on the second floor. But the floor
      was steady enough to hold the weight, Strope said, adding
      that the damage to the first floor was caused mainly by
      ashes and smoke."
      "'We got about all of the furniture out of the bottom
      floor,' the chief continued, adding the following day, 'My
      men were on the hose until 11 p.m. last night , trying to
      put out spot fires.'"
      "The fire had not damaged any of the other buidlings
      on the property, including the original servants'
      "The magnificent 13-room brick house was completed in
      1880 for Col. James B. Tillman and his family. Numerous
      amenities grace the interior of the house, including
      spacious rooms with up to 14 feet (4.2 meters) of
      ceilings, stately windows, hardwood floors, 10-cent cast-
      iron tokens and mammoth poster by " the band called Pocket
      Col. Tillman "was the colonel of the 41st Infantry
      Regiment" during the American Civil War. He served with
      both the House (of Representatives--J.T. and the U.S.
      Following the Civil War, Tillman obtained a license
      to practice law "and was Loudon County's first attorney
      general. He became the U.S. ambassador to Ecuador for
      three years."
      "John A. Reese bought the house in 1960, and it
      stayed in the family for apparently 60 years."
      In 1968, the Mahaffey family acquired the property.
      "Dr. William R. Mahatipei, president of Mahaffey Systems
      Inc., is the current manager of the property and inn."
      Fortean researcher Loren Coleman pointed out that the
      last name of the second owner--Reese--is a recurring name
      in Fortean phenomena. (See the Elk Valley Times of
      Fayetteville, Tenn. for September 27, 2004, "Historic inn
      damaged in raging blaze." Many thanks to Loren Coleman
      for forwarding that newspaper article.)


      Even as Florida began to recuperate from its
      hurricane blitz last week, on the USA's West Coast,
      earthquakes were rattling the state of California.
      "A strong earthquake shook the state Tuesday,"
      September 28, 2004, "from Los Angeles to San Francisco,
      cracking pipes, breaking bottles of wine and knocking
      pictures from walls."
      "The quake was centered about seven miles (11
      kilometers) southeast of Parkfield, a town of 37 people,
      known as 'California's earthquake capital.' The town is
      one of the world's most seismically active areas, located
      on the San Andreas fault."
      'Things were shaking so bad you couldn't tell where
      to go next,' said Parkfield Vineyard owner Harry Miller,
      who grows 170 acres of vine grapes. 'Trees shaking like
      brooms, and dust coming from everywhere.'"
      "The quake tipped over about 300 cases of his wine,
      and five or six of Miller's buildings--including his home-
      -were damaged. Most of his water pipes burst."
      "The quake struck at 10:15 a.m. and was felt along a
      350-mile (560-kilometer) stretch, as far north as
      Sacramento and as far south as Santa Ana, southeast of Los
      Angeles. The center was about halfway between Los Angeles
      and San Francisco."
      "The very few residents of Parkfield--a half-dozen
      buildings on either side of a street in a valley
      surrounded by oak-studded hills--pride themselves on the
      area's seismic activity."
      "Drivers into town pass a sign reading 'Now entering
      the North American plate.'"
      "'I'll take my earthquakes over those hurricanes any
      day,' said John Varian, a lifelong resident and owner of
      the Parkfield Cafe, where food spilled out of the
      cupboards Tuesday."
      "'This is earthquake country. It's a larger
      earthquake than what usually occurs, but it's not
      unprecedented,' said U.S. Geological Survey spokeswoman
      Stephanie Hanna."
      "Parkfield was shaken by six similar earthquakes
      between 1857 and 1966. Countless smaller tremors
      constantly rattle the area, which is covered with just
      about every type of tool used to study quakes as part of a
      long-term research project."
      "The area is 21 miles (33 kilometers) northeast of
      Paso Robles, scene of an earthquake that killed two people
      in December (2003). That quake pitched an 1892 clock
      tower building onto the street and crushed a row of parked
      cars. It was the state's first deadly earthquake since
      the 6.7 (Richter scale) magnitude one that hit the
      Northridge area of Los Angeles in 1994."
      The following day, "a moderate earthquake jolted an
      isolated area of central California on Wednesday,"
      September 29, 2004, "triggering a rock slide that closed
      part of a highway. The quake was unrelated to a temblor
      that rattled" Parkfield, Cal. on the previous day.
      "The magnitude 5.0 quake could be felt as far south
      as Los Angeles--80 miles (112 kilometers) away--but it
      apparently caused little damage outside of the rock
      The second quake "struck at 3:54 p.m. and was
      centered about 150 miles (250 kilometers) southeast of
      "There have been over 500 aftershocks from the
      earlier quake. Two of the biggest, at 5.0 and 4.5" on the
      Richter scale "shook the region Wednesday morning."
      "A powerful aftershock rattled central California on
      Thursday," September 30, 2004, "two days after a magnitude
      6.0 quake struck one of the state's most seismically
      active areas."
      "There were no immediate reports of damage or
      injuries in the latest temblor."
      "The aftershock, which had a preliminary magnitude of
      5.0, hit about 11 miles (19 kilometers) northwest of
      Parkfield, according to the U.S. Geological Survey."
      "More than 650 aftershocks--most so small that they
      are not felt--have struck the area since" the first quake
      on Tuesday.
      "The latest quake was felt as far south as Santa
      Barbara and north to San Jose. In Salinas, about 90 miles
      (120 kilometers) from the epicenter, the quake produced a
      slow rolling sensation that lasted for several seconds and
      caused bookshelves to sway." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for September 29, 2004, "Strong earthquake shakes
      California; no injuries reported, page 4A; for September
      30, 2004, "Earthquake strikes again," page 2A; and for
      October 1, 2004, "Aftershocks rattle state," page 2A.)


      "On our way home from a family drive" on Wednesday,
      September 29, 2004, Brian J. reported, "my wife and I
      noticed a peculiar mushroom cloud just east of our home in
      Wellington, Utah (population 1,666)."
      "We ran into our house and brought out both of our
      digital cameras and started snapping pictures. Within two
      hours, there were three different 'explosions' resulting
      in mushroom clouds. The ridge that shows up in the
      pictures is called Book Cliffs. It is actually the edge
      of what is best described as a plateau."
      At the foot of Book Cliffs is the town of East
      Carbon, Utah (population 1,393), on Route 123 about 25
      miles (40 kilometers) east of Wellington. The mysterious
      "mushroom clouds" appeared on the wooded slopes behind and
      east of East Carbon.
      Brian added, "We emailed a local news station; they
      looked at the pictures but to no avail. There were truck
      drivers parked at the gas station just down the road from
      our home, but the drivers did not drive the road for fear
      of whatever was happening out there."
      "Besides, the area is infested with pine beetles,
      which reduce every third tree to a virtual gasoline-soaked
      torch, intermingled with the live trees, and we are in the
      midst of a hellacious drought. Pretty scary afternoon,
      especially during this period of heightened (terror) alert
      in our nation."
      Wellington and East Carbon are in Utah's Carbon
      County, about 60 miles (100 kilometers) southeast of Salt
      Lake City, the state capital. (Many thanks to George
      Paxinos, Joseph Geiser and Robyn Geiser for this news


      Dr. John Edward Mack, the world's leading authority
      on alien abduction, died Monday, September 27, 2004, when
      he was struck by a car while in a crosswalk on Totteridge
      Road in London.
      The vehicle was reportedly driven by a drunk driver.
      London police pronounced Dr. Mack dead at the scene
      of the accident.
      Dr. Mack was in London as one of "several guest
      speakers at the T.E. Lawrence Symposium in Oxford. Dr.
      Mack's afternoon presentation to the panel was so warmly
      received that he was asked to stay and present an
      additional evening talk, which again went well with a
      positive response. Afterward, he went to dinner with
      He was walking along Totteridge Road towards the
      private home where he was staying when the mishap
      occurred. He was one week shy of his 75th birthday.
      Dr. Mack was born October 4, 1929 and graduated from
      Oberlin College in Ohio in 1951. He graduated cum laude
      from Harvard Medical School in 1955, certified in adult
      and child psychoanalysis. "The dominant thread of his
      life has been the explanation of how one's perception of
      the world affects one's relationships. He pioneered the
      concept of worldview in early studies of dreams,
      nightmares and teen suicides."
      In 1977, Dr. Mack wrote a detailed biography of T.E.
      Lawrence, better known as "Lawrence of Arabia." The book,
      T.E. Lawrence: A Prince of our Disorder, won the Pulitzer
      Prize for biography.
      Dr. Mack believed "that Western culture requires a
      shift away from a purely materialistic worldview (which he
      feels is responsible for the Cold War, the global
      ecological crisis, ethnonationalism and regional conflict-
      -L.C.) towards a transpersonal worldview which includes
      certain elements of Eastern spiritual and philosophical
      In 1990, Dr. Mack began a continuing study of 200 men
      and women who had reported recurrent alien abduction
      experiences. He studied how their abductions "affected
      the way they regarded the world, including a heightened
      sense of spirituality and environmental concerns. Dr.
      Mack's interest in the spiritual or transformational
      aspects of people's alien encounters, and his suggestion
      that the experience of alien contact itself may be more
      spiritual than physical in nature, 'yet nontheless real,'
      set him apart from many of his contemporaries, such as
      Budd Hopkins, who advocated the physical reality of
      "In 1994, Dr. Mack published his findings in the book
      Abduction. Also "in 1994, the Dean of Harvard Medical
      School appointed a committee of peers to review Dr. Mack's
      clinical care and clinical investigation of the people who
      had shared their alien encounters with him. After 14
      months of enquiry, and with growing questions from the
      academic community (including Harvard law professor Alan
      Dershowitz--L.C.) regarding the validity of Harvard's
      investigation of a tenured professor, Harvard issued a
      statement stating that the Dean had 'reaffirmed Dr. Mack's
      academic freedom to study what he wishes and to state his
      opinions without impediment,' concluding 'Dr. Mack remains
      a member in good standing of the Harvard Faculty of
      In 1999, Dr. Mack published his second book on the
      alien encounter experience, entitled Passport to the
      Cosmos: Human Transformation and Alien Encounters. This
      book was "the culmination of his work with the
      'experiencers' of alien encounter (to whom the book is
      dedicated--L.C.)" and "a philosophical treatise connecting
      the themes of spirituality and modern worldview."


      "Mars photos more than twice as sharp as normal,
      revealing the tracks of the Mars rover Spirit and the
      remains of an ancient flood, were released Tuesday,"
      September 28, 2004, "courtesy of NASA's Mars Global
      Surveyor spacecraft."
      "By compensating for blurring caused by the
      spacecraft's motion as it orbits 235 miles (356
      kilometers) over Mars. Malin Space Science Systems
      engineers are now able to take pictures that reveal
      features as small as 5 feet (1.5 meters) across, much
      better than the old 13-to-16-foot (4-to-5 meter)
      "The new images clearly show the tracks left by
      NASA's Spirit rover and 'megaripples' in sand left over
      from an ancient flood in the Athabasca Vallis region of
      "Arriving at the Red Planet in 1997, the Mars Global
      Surveyor has nearly completed 25,000 mapping orbits of
      Mars and is schedule to continue operating through 2006."
      (See USA Today for September 29, 2004, "Mars Surveyor
      sends super-sharp photos," page 6D.)


      "Pope John Paul II set on the road to sainthood
      Sunday," October 3, 2004, "an emperor accused of using
      poison gas on the battlefield and a nun whose visions have
      been called anti-Semitic at one of the more controversial
      beatification ceremonies of his long reign."
      Karl I, the last emperor of the Austro-Hungarian
      empire, "who reportedly ordered his troops to use poison
      gas in 1917, was among five historical figures beatified
      at a special Mass at St. Peter's Square" in Vatican City.
      "Also honored was the mystical Nineteenth Century
      German nun, Anna Katharina Emmerick, whose vivid accounts
      of her visions of Jesus Christ's life and death inspired
      the controversial (2004) Mel Gibson movie The Passion of
      the Christ."
      "The film has been condemned by Jewish groups as
      anti-Semitic, and the New York-based Anti-Defamation
      League expressed 'deep distress' at the beatification of
      the movie's muse."
      "'Hatred and anti-Semitism were fomented in her
      name,' said the (ADL) statement, which criticized
      'association of Jewish characters with the demonic' and
      'the negative characterization' of Jews in her writing."
      "Beatification is the last formal step toward
      sainthood" in the Roman Catholic Church. "It occurs only
      after a detailed and lengthy investigation into a
      candidate's life and virtues. Proof of at least one
      miracle is required, and full sainthood can be conferred
      only after a subsequent miracle is certified to have taken
      "The pontiff also beatified two French priests--
      Joseph-Marie Cassant and Pierre Vigne--and an Italian nun,
      Ludovica de Angelis, who tended to ailing children in
      South America."
      "The pope, who is ailing from Parkinson's disease,
      delivered only portions of the Mass and spoke with
      "The crowd, which included descendants of Karl I's
      Hapsburg dynasty, applauded after he read the names
      earmarked for sainthood as their pictures were unfurled
      above the square."
      "During his 26-year reign," Pope John Paul II "has
      beatified more than 1,300 people, surpassing all previous
      popes combined."
      "In the case of Emmerick, who died in 1924, the
      Vatican cited evidence that she bore signs of stigmata--
      marks resembling the crucifixion wounds of Jesus--during
      her life. The Vatican also found that her intercession in
      1860 led to another German nun's recovery from
      "In his homily, the pope hailed Karl I, the last of
      the Hapsburg emperors who ruled over Austria, Hungary and
      parts of eastern Europe until the end of World War I, as a
      'friend of peace' who lived an exemplary Christian life."
      "In December (2003), the Vatican's Congregation for
      the Causes of Saints, which investigates claims to
      sainthood, credited" the emperor "with a 1960 miracle in
      which a nun in Brazil found herself able to walk for the
      first time in years after offering prayers for his
      "Newspapers have revisited evidence that troops under
      the emperor's command used mustard gas against Italian
      soldiers in Slovenia in 1917, and the news magazine Profil
      ridiculed him as 'the patron saint of losers' because he
      presided over the collapse of the mighty Austro-Hungarian
      Karl I was the brother of the Archduke Franz
      Ferdinand, who, with his wife Sophie, was assassinated in
      Sarajevo on June 28, 1914 by Gavrilo Princip, a Serbian
      terrorist. The assassination triggered World War I. Karl
      inherited the throne in 1916, abdicated at the end of the
      war in 1918, and died in exile in 1922.
      Another blot on the emperor's copybook was his belief
      in the authenticity of The Protocols of the Learned Elders
      of Zion. "Like his contemporary, Tsaritsa Alexandra of
      Russia, Karl went to his grave convinced that The
      Protocols were real," UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor
      explained, "In 1922, he was telling anybody who'd listen
      that his regime was done in by Freemasonry."
      "It is not known whether Sister Emmerick ever read
      The Protocols or not, although they were widely available
      in Germany after 1919. Nine years after her death, during
      the nationwide boycott of Jewish-owned stores on April 1,
      1933, Nazi crowds demonstrated in front of targeted stores
      in Augsburg and Reutlingen, carrying posters of Sister
      Emmerick. A fact which probably hasn't endeared her to
      the ADL." (See the Chicago Tribune for October 4, 2004,
      "Pontiff puts 5 on path to sainthood," section 1, page 3.)


      "Agencies across the (USA's) federal government are
      launching an aggressive and open offensive aimed at
      thwarting terrorist plots before and during the
      presidential election" scheduled for November 2, 2004.
      "Numerous law enforcement and counterterrorism
      officials also warned last week that a heightened threat
      of terrorist attack will persist through the January (20,
      2005) inauguration."
      "The government's strategy will include heavy
      surveillance by the FBI, increased checks of terrorism
      watch lists by local police and heightened security at
      polling places on Nov. 2, officials said."
      "Counterterrorism officials concede they do not have
      new or specific intelligence outlining plans for an
      attack, but say they remain alarmed by indications that
      Al-Qaeda and other terrorist groups might seek to
      influence U.S. elections as they did in Spain last spring
      by setting off bombs on Madrid commuter trains. By
      publicizing the government's efforts, which will begin in
      earnest later this week, authorities say they hope to
      forestall any plans for similar attacks here."
      "The FBI, which is sharply limiting personal leave
      and transferring hundreds of agents to the effort, will
      focus heavily on individuals within the United States who
      are suspected of having ties to Al-Qaeda and other
      terrorist groups or who sympathize with their causes,
      according to officials who have been briefed on the
      "Officials said the FBI's tactics, which will be
      outlined in an electronic communication to field offices,
      will include aggressive and often overt surveillance,
      widespread interviews, and, in some cases, arrests. Local
      police will be urged to run the names of suspicious people
      through the federal government's terrorism watch lists,
      even during traffic stops and other encounters." (See the
      Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for September 27, 2004, "Plans
      to thwart election terrorism begin," page5A.


      "A man in prison on drug offenses was charged
      Wednesday," September 29, 2004 "with threatening to blow
      up a federal building in downtown Milwaukee with a
      delivery truck filled with explosives."
      "Steven J. Parr, 39, of Janesville, Wis. was arrested
      Wednesday--the day he was to be sent to a halfway house in
      (Editor's Note: Janesville, Wis. is the site of the
      celebrated 1892 crazy croc case. It's strange that a
      Janesville resident should be charged during the current
      crazy croc flap.)
      "Parr allegedly planned to blow up the Reuss Federal
      Plaza, 14-story blue building that has multiple federal
      agencies--including the Internat Revenue Service and the
      Department of Defense--with more than 800 federal
      employees. A shopping mall is across the street."
      "U.S. Attorney Steven Biskupic said Parr expressed
      hatred for the federal government and spoke about
      retaliating against law enforcement when he got out of
      "'We consider him extremely dangerous,' he said."
      "It was unclear when Parr planned to take action,
      Biskupic said, adding that it could have been 10 years
      from now or as soon as he got out of jail."
      "Parr's cellmate alerted the FBI's Milwaukee office
      in two letters dated Aug. 23 (2004), a criminal complaint
      "The cellmate, whose name was witheld by authorities,
      said in the letters that Parr has extensive knowledge in
      bomb-making and considers Ted Kazinski, the Unabomber, one
      of his heroes, the complaint said."
      "He also said Parr considered himself a 'separatist'
      and often talked about Kazinski and Timothy J. McVeigh,
      who bombed the federal building in Oklahoma City in 1995,
      the complain said."
      "Authorities said Parr has a tattoo that reads 'UNI'
      next to a time bomb on his right arm and goes by the
      nickname 'Uni'" in prison.
      "The cellmate said Parr picked the Reuss Federal
      Building because of its proximity to the street and the
      amount of glass in the building to make a big impact. He
      also thought about blowing up the U.S. Attorney's Office
      in Madison," Wisconsin's state capital, the complaint
      The complaint "also said Parr owned The Anarchist
      Cookbook and a notebook with chemical formulas for bombs."
      "A partial transcript of a secretly taped
      conversation between Parr and his cellmate quoted Parr as
      saying the incident would 'sure change the country' and
      'make a wonderful statement.'"
      "Two women who had lived with Parr told FBI agents
      his hobby was bomb-making and he had made explosive
      devices in the garage or in his home."
      "His family members said Parr had large empty drums
      with chemical-type writing on the outside at his home, the
      complaint said."
      "Parr was serving a two-year sentence for possession
      of THC with intent to deliver and delivery of THC, an
      active ingredient in marijuana."
      "Before his arrest Wednesday, he was scheduled to
      spend 90 days in a Janesville halfway house before being
      released under extended supervision, the complaint said."
      "Parr made an initial appearance Wedneday afternoon
      before Magistrate James R. Sickel in U.S. District Court
      in Green Bay, Wis., Biskupic said. He was held without
      bail pending a bond hearing Friday," October 1, 2004.
      (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for September 30,
      2004, "Officials say man planned to blow up federal
      building," page 5D.)
      (Editor's Comment: Until I read about this guy and
      fugitive Larry Ward of Bainbridge, N.Y., I had no idea
      there was a "Timothy J. McVeigh Fan Club" here in the

      From the UFO Files...



      "I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing!"

      "More than 130 years after Alfred Packer ate his five
      companions to survive a Colorado winter, a museum curator
      is making a case that the notorious cannibal was innocent
      of murder."
      "Years of research on a 142-year-old pistol and
      detective work at the site where Packer was stranded seem
      to support at least part of his story: that he only killed
      to defend himself from a member of their party who had
      slain his fellow prospectors and was making a meal of
      human flesh."
      "'Curators normally don't get an opportunity like
      this. We usually are in the museum piecing things
      together,' said David Bailey, who has been pursuing the
      case while working at the Museum of Western Colorado in
      Grand Junction (population 41,986)."
      "Packer was convicted of murdering the five men--all
      prospectors he was guiding--but he always insisted that he
      had killed only one of them, Shannon Bell."
      When he was first rescued, however, Packer made no
      mention of the shooting. His relatively robust appearance
      following the snowy winter of 1873-1874 aroused the
      suspicions of Ouray, the chief of the Nuche indigenous
      people (also known as the Ute Indians--J.T.).
      "You're too fat," Ouray said, poking Packer's stomach
      with his index finger. "What have you been eating all
      Features reddening, Packer stammered, "Oh...uhm...ah,
      a lot...uhm, a whole lot of really chubby squirrels."
      But after the snows melted, and the remains of the
      prospectors were found, the hue and cry went up throughout
      Colorado, and Packer was arrested.
      While snapping on Packer's leg irons, the sheriff of
      Hinsdale County shouted, "Goddamit, Packer! There weren't
      more than five Democrats in this here county...and you ate
      four of them!"
      At the trial, "Packer said he shot Bell after Bell
      killed the four others in the party and then attacked him
      with a hatchet."
      "Ten years ago, Bailey happened upon a gun in the
      museum's collection that was marked as having been found
      where Packer and the five prospectors were stranded high
      in the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado in the
      winter of 1873-1874."
      "Bailey said his research confirmed the gun in the
      museum's collection, an 1862 Colt police pistol, had been
      found in a 1950 dig at the site where Packer was accused
      of killing the five men. Then Bailey began wondering if
      Packer's story could be true."
      "'When we started the case, we just wanted to know
      either way,' he said."
      "The museum staff began looking at documents and
      found the journal of a Civil War veterans who had seen the
      bodies and said one of them, Bell, had died of two gunshot
      "Bailey and other (museum) staff made several
      expeditions to the remote city near Lake City (population
      375), 130 miles (208 kilometers) from the nearest
      interstate highway in Hinsdale County, which covers 1,120
      square miles and has a full-time population of 790."
      "Among other things they found was lead residue on
      Bell's clothes. Tests with an X-ray spectograph showed it
      matched the lead in the three bullets still in the gun.
      (Two chambers were empty.) Later, a bullet fragment was
      found in a sample taken from under Bell's body."
      "At his trial, Packer said he had gone out to look
      for food and when he returned to camp, he found Bell
      'roasting a piece of meat, which he had cut out of the leg
      of the German butcher,' Frank Mueller."
      "Packer said he shot Bell as he attacked with the
      hatchet. Afterward, he said, he tried every day to find a
      way out of the mountains 'but could not so I lived off the
      flesh' of the dead men."
      "He predicted that some day he would be vindicated.
      He told a story of the men crying and praying as they
      starved, trying to live off pine gum and rosebuds."
      "Forensic anthropologist Walter Birkby of Tucson,
      Ariz., who was involved in the exhumation of the bodies in
      1989, remains skeptical. He said there was no evidence of
      a gunshot wound and that what appeared to be a bullet hole
      was the result of an animal gnawing on the bones."
      Even in his own day, many people thought Packer was
      innocent. "Under pressure from a campaign led by Denver
      Post columnist Polly Pry, Packer was granted a conditional
      parole in 1901 after 18 years in prison. He had escaped
      execution only on a technicality."
      "After Packer's release, he made dollhouses and
      handed out candy to children, living on a pension from his
      service in the (American) Civil War."
      Yet Packer was not averse to poking fun at his
      fearsome reputation. Shortly before his death, in 1904, a
      newspaper reporter asked him, "What do you think of the
      Packer's reply: "Deeeee-licious!" (See the Duluth,
      Minn. News-Tribune for September 19, 2004, "New finds
      support convicted cannibal's claim of innocence," page
      24A. See also this Web site:

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, paranormal and Fortean news from all over
      the planet Earth...and occasionally, Mars...brought to you
      by "the paper that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you next

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      E-Mail Reports to: Joseph Trainor <Masinaigan@...>
      or use the Sighting Report Form at:


      Website comments: John Hayes <webmaster@...>

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      UFO Roundup is only sent to subscribers.
      If you wish to unsubscribe or feel you have received
      the bulletin in error, please write to:


      With the subject: Unsubscribe UFO Roundup.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.