UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 36

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2004
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 9, Number 36
      September 8, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      FLOATING RED ALIEN SEEN
      NEAR COQUIMBO IN CHILE

      "Mysterious creatures were seen by numerous witnesses
      in an area near the city of Coquimbo in Chile. According
      to the reports, they resemble small humans that float
      through the air without making a sound."
      "Francisco Vega, a laborer at the El Pelambre mine,
      was in the company of his brother, Eduardo, and two other
      employees of the Argandota Ceramics Co., in the Planicie
      de Panul sector, a location adjacent to La Herradura de
      Coquimbo."
      "At a distance of some 20 meters (66 feet), Francisco
      witnessed what appeared to be a small 'monkey' that was
      approaching them, walking upon the plain. Upon looking at
      it more clearly, he saw that it was a humanlike creature
      dark red in color."
      "'It had a very bulky head, was no taller than 80
      centimeters (2.8 feet), and looked like a gas bag because
      it was so fat. My initial impression was that it
      resembled a rugby player,' said the witness, according to
      the Chilean press."
      "'Only a few seconds went by, and I shouted very loud
      to my son, my brother and the workers'," so that "'they
      should realize what I was looking at,' he added."
      "The surprise experienced by the four men was even
      more complex when they watched the strange being hurtle
      over the plain, remaining in the air for several minutes."
      "Later, they said, the creature began heading towards
      the men at slow speed, finally vanishing. The event
      occurred in July of this year (2004)."
      Eduardo Vega reported, "'It was around 10 a.m. when
      my brother Francisco, who was around 20 meters (66 feet)
      away from the three of us, shouted desperately, 'Come!
      Come!' I got scared, and we ran over. He pointed toward
      the spot, and that's when we saw the humanoid figure. It
      stood 80 centimeters tall. Shiny, red. Its head was
      large, but we couldn't make out any eyes or mouth. The
      figure looked like a small person, a child perhaps wearing
      a diver's suit, with its arms close to the torso and its
      legs together.'"
      The alien was "'some 20 meters from us and 20 meters
      off the ground. My brother Francisco says he was walking
      at first and then he took off some 20 meters into the air.
      Twelve to fifteen minutes went by. Out of this time, the
      figure was motionless for seven minutes. It didn't move
      at all.'"
      "'The gentlemen who were with us--they noticed that
      some sort of sparks or lights were coming out of the head
      of the image or person. I would say that they were like
      the sparks that come out of certain exhaust pipes when
      they are hot.'"
      "Yolanda Santibanez and Edmundo Ramirez both claim,
      and startled some, by saying that during the same week of
      the humanoid sighting in Coquimbo, there was an
      unidentified flying object over the area."
      "A pair of local residents who live on a property
      serving as a repair shop at the edge of the highway told
      us that they indeed have seen strange things and that they
      themselves saw some sort of flying saucer."
      "Yolanda Santibanez recalls that it was during the
      month of July (2004) in the late afternoon that she and
      the other witnesses observed a strange phenomenon in the
      skies, as she describes it."
      "'Yes, it was July,'" Yolanda said, "'I couldn't tell
      you the exact date, but we saw an object in the sky over
      La Romana. It had an elongated shape, black or grey in
      color, and it slowed and expanded. It seemed to float
      while it assumed a square shape and, when it remained like
      this, it seemed to have things like wheels and such. At
      no time did we feel afraid, because we were accompanied.'"
      "Edmundo Ramirez, another one of the Panul residents,
      claims that such episodes occur regularly and offered some
      details about them."
      "'The object that was seen in July appeared suddenly.
      It made no noise, such as engine noise, for example. It
      was elongated but kept getting longer and had no lights.
      The time was about 5 or 6 p.m. Some other people who were
      home also saw it. It arrived as if from the north,
      passing slowly over the eucalyptus trees in the La Romana
      sector. Then it descended along the terrain, as if
      heading towards the sea, and then vanished. Luckily, it
      didn't approach us, and the dogs didn't bark, either.'"
      Coquimbo is a seaport city located 320 kilometers
      (200 miles) north-northwest of Santiago de Chile, the
      national capital. (See the Chilean newspaper La Region de
      Coquimbo for September 1, 2004, "Eyewitness describes
      encounter with strange creature;" and for September 2,
      2004, "Yes, we saw a spacecraft at Panul." Muchas gracias
      a Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para estos articulos de
      diario.)

      UFO ACTIVITY INCREASES
      IN COLOMBIA AND PERU

      On Sunday, August 15, 2004, "a spectacular UFO flew
      over the coastal city of Cartagena" in northern Colombia.
      "The object was brilliant and silvery, oblong and had no
      wings. It was seen by hundreds in the perfectly clear
      blue sky."
      The UFO was photographed. Readers can view it at the
      Web site of the Colombian research group, Contacto OVNI.
      Just go to this URL: http://www.epagos.com/contacto-ovni.
      Elsewhere in South America, a UFO flap has broken out
      in Peru's department (state) of Huari.
      "Luminous UFOs were seen during July and August
      (2004) over four communities in Huari," reported Peruvian
      ufologist Monica Gaetano de Silva. "At each sighting,
      there were several strange lights in the sky. The objects
      appeared over Uco, Paucas, Anra and Rapayan. One large
      luminous disc aimed a bright spotlight at the ground and
      played it over the fields. The farmers celebrated the
      arrival of the UFOs because they consider them a sign of
      good fortune."
      "The police have questioned the eyewitnesses and say
      they will determine the source of the mysterious lights.
      But, so far, there have been no arrests." (Muchas gracias
      a William Chavez de Contacto OVNI y Monica Gaetano de
      Silva para estas noticias.)
      (Editor's Note: Rapayan is the site of a "skyscraper," a
      five-story stone building reared by an unknown pre-
      Columbian civilization. It was first explored by Peruvian
      archaeologist Dr. Hernan Amat Olazabal in the late 1970s.)

      STUDENT VIDEOTAPES UFO
      IN JACKSON, MISSOURI

      "At about 7:30 p.m. on (Wednesday) August 11 (2004),
      Zach Stanfield was taking his dog outside of his Jackson,
      Missouri (population 11,947) when he spotted something
      strange in the clouds of the evening sky. He quickly ran
      inside to grab his binoculars, which revealed a more
      detailed view of...well, he didn't know what. He went
      back into his house for his hand-held DVC video camera and
      filmed away."
      "'I really don't know what it is,' says Zach, while
      talking on the phone to his cousin, Audrey Stanfield,
      while taping."
      "'It's black.' Pause. 'Round, it's round,' he says."
      "'What is it?' he asks."
      "What the video captured was about five minutes of a
      35-minute episode in which a dark shape hovers in a tight
      holding pattern of small circles above Stanfield's yard.
      Suddenly, the subject makes its way east across the
      evening sky before disappearing into the dark clouds of
      oncoming night."
      "On the tape, the object makes its revolutions, the
      shadowy shape shifting from a round dot to a rounded bar
      resembling a penny as it rolls on its edge in circles on a
      surface. But the coin-shaped object was rolling on an
      invisible plane in the air a good distance above Zach
      Stanfield's house."
      "'Sure it's not a plastic bag or something?' asks
      Audrey, now standing beside the cameraman, watching the
      object hover."
      "'Why would there be a plastic bag up in the clouds?'
      shoots back Zach, 'You wouldn't be able to see it that
      high up.'"
      "'What else could it be?' Audrey asks."
      "Larry Davis isn't sure, either. Davis has spent the
      last 12 years looking at objects in the sky as Cape
      Girardeau Regional Airport's chief air traffic controller.
      Viewing the videotape, he could only guess."
      "'It could be one of those Mylar discs,' he said,
      referring to the popular flying toys that are actually
      disc-shaped balloons made of metallic plastic and filled
      with helium."
      "The problem is, Davis said, that the video just
      shows the shape in the vast sky, so it's impossible to
      gauge the distance and size of the object. Mylar discs
      are usually about 50 inches (125 centimeters) in
      diameter."
      "Difficult to explain how something as light as a
      Mylar disc--which weighs little more than an ounce--could
      hover in the same area and avoid being blown away.
      However, Davis said it is possible that the metallic
      plastic could conduct enough heat from the sun's rays to
      create convection heating that would produce the effect.
      Davis also said that thunderstorms can create an updraft
      that could catch such an object and keep it in one area."
      "But, for all the possibilities, he isn't sure of
      anything."
      "Jim Dufek and Fred Jones of Southeastern Missouri
      State University's communications department aren't sure
      what the disc was, either, but they are sure that the tape
      is legitimate."
      "'Whatever it is, it's real,' Jones said, watching
      the tape in the university's video room."
      "'There's nothing deposited on it,' Dufek said, 'I
      don't see any pixel breakup around the object. There's no
      superimposing.'"
      "All Zach knows for sure is that he, Audrey, his
      neighbor Judy Hoffman and Hoffman's mother-in-law, Carmen
      Hoffman, saw an unidentified flying object in the sky over
      Jackson."
      "'Do you think it's a saucer?' Audrey asks on the
      tape as the sky darkens. 'Like a flying saucer?'"
      "'If it's that high up, it's got to be big close up,'
      Zach replies."
      "'It's perfectly round,' Audrey says, 'Uh, Zach,
      that's weird.'" (See the Southeast Missourian for August
      31, 2004, "High school student's video--UFO over Jackson?"
      Many thanks to Jim Hickman, executive director of Skywatch
      International, for this newspaper article.)

      TRIO SPOTS A UFO IN
      LANCASTER, OHIO

      On Saturday, August 28, 2004, three witnesses, "a 34-
      year-old man, his 36-year-old friend and his 17-year-old
      son," spotted a UFO over Lancaster, Ohio (population
      35,335).
      The trio "spotted the object before a thunderstorm
      hit the area...an unusual object in the skies over
      Lancaster, Ohio."
      The 34-year-old male witness reported, "This may
      sound nuts, but right before the storm here at around 7:30
      p.m., I saw something right over the city of Lancaster, no
      lights at all. It looked like a V but did not move up or
      down, but it did drift from northeast to southeast,
      against the wind, before coming to a stop, seeming to stay
      in place. It was a very dark shape."
      "At first I thought it was a parachute, but who in
      their right mind would jump with a thunderstorm in their
      face? The object made no sound at all, and I watched it
      for seven to eight minutes."
      Ohio ufologist Kenny Young reported, "The 34-year-old
      witness worked as an electrical contractor for ten years,
      and also added that the object 'looked at times like it
      would invert, looking like a rectangle during the
      rotation, and then looked like an upside-down V.'"
      In an email interview with Kenny Young, the witness
      "said that he was standing on West Fifth Avenue and
      looking east, directly over Lancaster, when watching the
      unusual object. He lost sight of it when the clouds
      'overtook' it and openly inquired, if the object was a
      balloon, how come it did not move with the wind?"
      "The claimant also felt that if the object had been
      somehow tethered, it would have been situated over the
      Anchor Hocking Glass factory on about 1,000 feet (300
      meters) of rope."
      "At 10 p.m., the witness contacted the Lancaster City
      Police and the Fairfield County Sheriff's Office. Neither
      group could supply additional information and had received
      no reports."
      Lancaster is on Ohio Route 22, located 30 miles (48
      kilometers) southeast of Columbus. (Many thanks to Kenny
      Young for this report.)

      CROWD WITNESSES A UFO
      OVER EUGENE, OREGON

      On Tuesday, August 31, 2004, at 11 p.m., eyewitness
      Aye reported, "My friend called me and said the news said
      there was a UFO over Eugene (population 137,893). KEZI-TV
      showed it with a zoom-in from the camera on the 11 p.m.
      news. He (the newscaster) said it had been up there for a
      couple of hours, and that the news room had been getting
      calls on it since 9 p.m."
      Aye and another friend hurried "to where it was
      reported. There were a few people in the parking lot.
      They pointed it out to me."
      The UFO "initially was very dim with light pollution
      and large. We brought a camera and a pair of binoculars."
      "It moved a lot, then hovered, and we were able to
      get a better view of it. We watched it for the next 20 to
      30 minutes while more people from town streamed in. It
      was too faint for our camera to pick up, but with the
      binoculars there was much clarity."
      "The object would move a lot, then hover in one place
      for about five minutes or so, and then move in another
      direction and then hover again. You could tell it was
      hovering by its stationary position" with relation to "the
      background stars. When it moved, sometimes it was slow
      and sometimes very fast. Total movement over the 20
      minutes encompassed about 90 degrees of the sky."
      "Eventually it moved rapidly down and farther off and
      went over the horizon. This seemed like a controlled
      movement and not like it crashed. If the object (had)
      moved normally, it would've been mistaken for an
      airplane."
      "With the binoculars, it had various lights in a
      triangle shape. A red one up top, and a green one on the
      left and sometimes another green one or a red one on the
      right. The green light would sometimes be very bright and
      other times quite dim, perhaps as the light pointed in
      other directions. At one time it started flashing a large
      blue light in the middle, for a total of four lights."
      "A family arrived right after it went over the
      horizon, and they said they had been watching it in the
      next city over (Springfield, Oregon--J.T.), which would
      indicate that it was not a local parking lot visual hoax"
      or optical illusion. (Email Form Report)

      TWO UFOs SIGHTED NEAR
      FALLON, NEVADA

      Eyewitness D.K. reports, "I live on the Paiute-
      Shoshone Indian Reservation about four miles (six
      kilometers) north of the Naval Air Station in Fallon,
      Nevada (population 7,536). We are approximately 60 miles
      (100 kilometers) east of Reno, 400 miles (640 kilometers)
      northwest of Las Vegas and 300 miles (480 kilometers)
      north of Area 51."
      Last week, D.K. "was outside trying to get a picture
      of the jets flying over the house when I saw two UFOs
      flying in the opposite direction. The jets take off to
      the north and then turn and fly east. When they fly over
      my house, they are going from west to east. I heard them
      and I ran outside and I just missed them. I was
      contemplating waiting for more when I looked up directly
      overhead and saw what looked like two round saucer-like
      objects heading west. I remember thinking that they
      actually looked like the logo for Japan Air Lines."
      "I know this sounds crazy, but it looked like a Star
      Trek Klingon vessel with a see-through ring of light
      around it. That's why I originally thought they were
      disks. It was actually a white glow around them."
      "I've seen white triangles, black triangles, silver
      orbs, glowing orbs of different colors, but I've never
      seen anything like these!"
      "One of them was doing loops around the other. I
      called for my wife to come out, and she saw them as they
      faded from view." (Many thanks to Frank Running Elk for
      this report.)

      UFOs BUZZ MEXICAN
      OIL REFINERY

      On Saturday, August 28, 2004, at 10:11 p.m., "an
      unidentified flying object and six luminous spheres were
      detected flying over the Pemex (Petroleos Mexicanos--S.C.)
      facilities in Tapachula," a town in Mexico's state of
      Chiapas.
      According to Pemex official Juan Carlos Zuniga
      Rodriguez, "the craft, having the shape of a circular
      plate the size of a commercial airliner, peformed flight
      maneuvers over the Petroleos Mexicanos Storage and
      Distribution Terminal at an altitude of about 1,000 meters
      (3,300 feet) at abnormal speed with direction changes."
      "A variety of photographs were taken. Upon
      developing them, it was discovered that at least six
      luminous spheres were flying over the same area at the
      same altitude, although smaller in size than the
      (circular) craft."
      "All of the material was presented to (Mexican
      ufologist) Jaime Maussan who immediately commenced the
      verification of the photos' authenticity by means of
      digital devices."
      Maussan "stated that the tests yielded positive
      results including a central object made of unidentified
      metal and which appeared to be coated with a small amount
      of radiation similar to that of the spheres. In other
      words, the authenticity of the photographs was
      corroborated."
      "Zuniga Rodriguez said that UFOs have been frequent
      in the region around the oil facilities and points out
      that" the site is "adjacent to the Izapa archaeological
      region, close to where the (Mayan) 'Tree of Life, Creation
      of the Universe' stele is located."
      "There are also reports of fly-overs in the vicinity
      of Mount Tacana, the inactive volcano which separates
      Mexico from Guatemala." (See the Mexican newspaper El
      Universal de Tapachula for August 29, 2004, "Six UFOs
      reported over Tapachula." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales
      y Jose Martinez para esto articulo de diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: There might be an underground alien
      base at Mount Tacana similar to the one reputed to be
      located in the volcano Mount Popocatepetl, which is
      located just west of Puebla.)

      DUCKS FOUND MUTILATED
      IN PONCE, PUERTO RICO

      "During the early morning hours of Saturday, August
      28, 2004, the Marin family of barrio Brisas del Caribe
      (sector) of Ponce," a large city in southern Puerto Rico,
      "were shocked to find the ducks they raised in their
      backyard slain by an unknown assailant."
      "The family's youngest son, in charge of feeding the
      animals, made the sad discovery."
      "'When asked if any noise had been heard,'"
      investigators Jose A. Martinez and Reinaldo Rios "'were
      told that neighbors' dogs had been restless, including the
      marin family's own dog. The Marins believe that perhaps
      all of the animals were attacked, since they had gone off
      to the San Juan (International) Airport at the time and,
      upon their return, were faced with their son's sad news
      about the animals.'"
      The ducks "presented a number of puncture marks near
      the tail, where the genitalia is located. One of the
      ducks was decapitated. Another had its head and bill
      shattered. A third survived the massacre but was wounded
      in one of its thighs; the puncture mark was barely
      visible."
      "The most significant find, that it was the night of
      the full moon. This is an important factor in Puerto
      Rican mutilation cases."
      The investigators "asked Mr. Bruno Marin if he had
      seen strange lights in the area. He told us that, a few
      years ago, lights and saucer-shaped objects were seen over
      the area. Apparently, from what Mr. Marin tells us, this
      is a real UFO hot spot," Martinez reported, "We checked
      out the animals with our own equipment, and they were
      found to be free of any hazardous, radioactive or toxic
      substances." (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales para esta
      historia.)

      SIX CROP CIRCLES FOUND
      NEAR WAUSAU, WISCONSIN

      "One dairy farmer" in Wausau Township, Wisconsin
      "thinks there may be a paranormal explanation to the crop
      circles in his barley field."
      "Scott Worden, 37, had two paranormal investigators
      inspect six crop circles Saturday," August 28, 2004, "that
      were found (Monday) August 23 (2004) by a farmhand."
      "He won't say whether he believes in the paranormal,
      but he doesn't dismiss the idea."
      "'Everybody thinks I'm nuts, but I just want to know
      what caused it. I know cows more than I know circles,'
      Worden said."
      "He runs the farm with his brother, Tim, and dad,
      Darrell."
      "Crop circles, most of which are found to be
      explainable hoaxes, can be formed with a rope, a board and
      a couple of people." (See the Country Journal of Hayward,
      Wisconsin for Monday, August 30, 2004.)

      ANCIENT TOMB DISCOVERED
      NEAR EGYPT'S PYRAMIDS

      "Egypt's antiquities chief on Thursday," August 26,
      2004, "revealed a 2,500-year-old hidden tomb under the
      shadow of one of Giza's three giant pyramids, containing
      400 pinkie-finger-sized statues and six coffin-sized
      niches carved into granite rock."
      "Dr. Zahi Hawass, the director of Egypt's Supreme
      Council of Antiquities, said archaeologists had been
      working for three months to clear sand from a granite
      shaft found between the pyramid of Khafre--also known by
      his Greek name of Chephren--Giza's second-largest tomb of
      a pharoah, and the Sphinx."
      "Under blaring sun Thursday, Dr. Hawass said Giza's
      latest ancient discovery came to light after
      archaeologists detected what appeared to be a four-sided
      shaft. The antiquities chief verified it by climbing a
      pyramid to get a bird's eye look."
      "Excavators later removed several tons of fine sand
      to descend 33 feet (10 meters) below ground level to where
      they found the niches."
      "Dr. Hawass said a wooden coffin and a pile of
      turquoise-colored figurines made of faience, a non-clay
      ceramic material used by ancient Egyptians, were also
      found."
      "'The statues, called shawabtis, depict servants.
      Their task was to answer questions for the deceased in the
      afterlife and to serve the dead people,' Dr. Hawass said."
      "Dr. Hawass said workers will continue clearing sand
      from the shaft for another 33 feet (10 meters), where he
      believes more antiquities, including a granite
      sarcophagus, could be unearthed."
      "The shaft was built in the 26th Pharaonic Dynasty
      during a period of cultural revival when 'remarkable, huge
      tombs' were constructed, Dr. Hawass said." (See the
      Taunton, Mass. Daily Gazette for September 3, 2004,
      "Ancient tomb discovered near Giza pyramids." Many thanks
      to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for this news story.)

      CANAANITE CITY DISCOVERED
      NEAR SHOHAM, ISRAEL

      "Israeli archaeologists have uncovered a 5,000-year-
      old Canaanite city and a 2,000-year-old Jewish village
      from the Second Temple period alongside each other in the
      Modin area. The adjacent ancient sites, which were known
      to exist but were previously left untouched, lie on a
      barren, wind-whipped hilltop spanning 120 dunams (Israeli
      hectares--J.T.) near the present-day Israeli town of
      Shoham."
      "The area of the sites was to be converted into an
      industrial zone, but the finds--which include remnants of
      ancient streets in each city--are now being excavated by
      archaeologists from the (Israeli) Antiquities Authority
      and will be exhibited in an archaeological park."
      "Adjacent to the Jewish village lies a 5,000-year-old
      Canaanite city from the Early Bronze Age, dating to
      approximately 3,000 B.C.E. (similar to B.C.). The 70-to-
      80-dunam city, which was divided into a smaller upper and
      a larger lower level and was surrounded by a wall and
      watch towers, existed for up to 400 years, said Tel Aviv
      archaeologist Sarit Paz, who is heading the excavations at
      the site."
      (Editor's Note: The lost civilization of Kinanhi, which
      the Bible calls Canaan, was destroyed by Joshua and the
      Hebrews in the second millenium B.C. See Joshua 8:1-35.)
      "The well-planned city, which dates back to the time
      between Noah and Abraham, is thought to have been home to
      several hundred people. The builders of the nearby Jewish
      village used some of the original stones from the
      Canaanite city in building their own town, Paz said."
      (Editor's Note: Such "recycling" is common in history.
      In 1540, the Spanish conquistadores literally built the
      Church of Santo Domingo around the Inca temple of
      Coricancha in Cuzco, Peru. In Nineteenth Century India,
      the British built the Allahabad Railway's trackbed with
      stone blocks from a certain pyramid which, in deference to
      the Sages of Shambhala, shall remain nameless.)
      "The impressive remnants of a 5,000-year-old street,
      an assortment of pottery and cutting vessels, flint
      Canaanite blades, stone beads and a variety of colored
      juglets, have been uncovered by Paz and her team. The
      Antiquities Authority says that the quality and extent of
      the finds uncovered during the three-month excavation at
      both sites is 'unprecedented.'" (See the Jerusalem Post
      for August 27, 2004, "Second Temple village uncovered."
      Many thanks to Ayesha al-Khatabi for this newspaper
      article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Ever wonder what might be underneath
      that Canaanite city? Perhaps a colony of ancient Atlantis
      or the legendary temple of Gol-goroth, whose cult was
      destroyed by Baal and Asherah way, way back when they were
      still human heroes and not the chief deities of the
      Kinanhi pantheon.)

      TYPHOON AND EARTHQUAKES
      WREAK HAVOC IN JAPAN

      "At least 23 people were injured and an estimated
      63,000 left without power when a typhoon hit southern
      Japan on Monday," September 6, 2004.
      "In the western part of the country, strong
      aftershocks rattled a region hours after two earthquakes
      injured 43 people."
      "Two strong earthquakes, one magnitude 6.9" on the
      Richter scale "and the second magnitude 7.3, rattled
      western Japan within hours of each other Sunday night,"
      September 5, 2004, "injuring 14 people, shaking buildings
      in Tokyo and triggering tsunamis (tidal waves--J.T.)."
      "In Tokyo, the 'Ladies of Shinjuku' (skyscrapers--
      J.T.) were swaying like the palm trees of Florida during
      your hurricane," reported Angela Tarohachi, UFO Roundup
      correspondent in Japan.
      "Damage and injuries appeared to be limited because
      both quakes were far off Japan's coast, and the region
      most strongly shaken by them was a sparsely populated
      rural area, Wakayama, 450 kilometers (280 miles) west of
      Tokyo."
      "Typhoon Songda packed winds of up to 90 miles per
      hour (145 kilometers per hour) as it headed northeast
      toward Kyushu island, the (Japan) Meteorological Agency
      said late Monday."
      "Late Monday, the typhoon was about 225 kilometers
      (140 miles) southwest of Nagasaki or 1,144 kilometers (715
      miles) southwest of Tokyo. Okinawa (island) and Kagoshima
      prefecture" on Kyushu "got an estimated 20 centimeters (8
      inches) of rain in 24 hours, the agency said, and expected
      up to 60 centimeters (24 inches) by Tuesday."
      Typhoon Songda "forced the cancellation of more than
      200 flights and ferry and train services, the Kyodo news
      agency said."
      "Last week, Typhoon Chaba killed at least nine,
      injured 204 and flooded about 9,000 homes." (See USA
      Today for September 7, 2004, "Japan pummeled by typhoon,
      two quakes," page 9A. Also Asahi Shimbun for September 6,
      2004, "Earthquakes jolt Wakayama prefecture." Many thanks
      to Angela Tarohachi for the Japanese newspaper article.)

      SIGNS OF WINTER FLOURISH
      IN THE USA AND CANADA

      Last week, UFO Roundup ran an article about the early
      onset of autumn in the USA's states of Wisconsin and
      Minnesota. Editor Joseph Trainor invited other readers to
      share any information they might have about signs of an
      early winter elsewhere in North America.
      The response was heavy. Readers across the USA and
      Canada have noticed that the usual signs of autumn--leaf-
      color change, waterfowl migration, etc.--are at least a
      month to six weeks ahead of schedule. Here are some of
      the responses:
      Eric N. writes, "I read your article every week, and
      I thought I was the only one who thought it a bit odd that
      maple trees were turning this early in the year."
      "I live in southwestern Virginia, and we too have had
      some cool weather over the summer. I was going down the
      road from our house last week and noticed that a maple
      tree in our neighbor's yard had already started to turn.
      I told my wife that it looked like someone had spray-
      painted the bottom leaves of the tree orange. My
      curiosity got the best of me, so I actually stopped the
      car and had a look for myself. The leaves had turned! I
      have lived in the area for 29 years, and this is the first
      time I can recall leaves turning color in early August."
      Ronald Freeman of southern Ontario writes: "Strangely
      enough, I heard geese flocking south last week and thought
      the same thoughts. Hmmmmm!"
      Louise M. of Rifle, Colorado writes: "It is the
      earliest color change I've ever seen around these parts,
      and I've lived in this area--the western slope of
      Colorado--for over 20 years now. I started seeing (leaf)
      color in late July. And I suspect, as you do, that there
      might be an early winter."
      Mary Drown of Muskegon, Michigan writes: "We started
      seeing the maples change color around August 20. That's
      the earliest ever."
      Ed W. of Midway, Kentucky writes: "I was just
      commenting today that the usual robins that raid my
      vineyard are all gone. The grapes are getting ripe, and
      usually I have a real problem with the robins. They come
      here every year by the dozens. We had many here all
      summer, but now they are gone. Our black walnut trees
      have already lost their leaves and the nuts are falling.
      That should be next month. Strange."
      "I don't know what the meteorologists are saying,"
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor commented. "But Mother
      Nature appears to be sending us a message. Get set for a
      long, cold, snowy winter in the USA and Canada. I'm going
      to buy any needed winter clothes now--while they're still
      cheap."

      ASHCROFT CALLS FOR
      AN AMERICAN GULAG

      "Attorney General John Ashcroft's announced desire
      for camps for U.S. citizens he deems to be 'enemy
      combatants' has moved him from being a political
      embarrasment to being a constitutional menace."
      "Ashcroft's plan, disclosed last week but little
      publicized, would allow him to order the indefinite
      incarceration of U.S. citizens and summarily strip them of
      their constitutional rights and access to the courts by
      declaring them 'enemy combatants.'"
      "The proposed camp plan should trigger immediate
      congressional hearings and reconsideration of Ashcroft's
      fitness for this significant office. Whereas Al-Qaeda is
      a threat to the lives of our citizens, Ashcroft has become
      a clear and present threat to our liberties."
      "The camp plan was forged at an opportunistic time
      for Ashcroft's small inner circle, which has been
      carefully watching two test cases to see whether their
      vision could become a reality. The cases of Jose Padilla
      and Yasser Esam Hamdi will determine whether U.S. citizens
      can be held without charges and subject to the arbitrary
      and unchecked authority of the government."
      (Editor's Note: At stake here is the 1866 Supreme Court
      decision of Ex Parte Milligan. During the American Civil
      War, Dr. Milligan, the leader of a secret society called
      the Knights of the Golden Circle, tried to foment
      uprisings against President Abraham Lincoln in the USA's
      Upper Midwest. Lincoln and his successor, President
      Andrew Johnson, wanted Dr. Milligan tried for sedition by
      a military commission. But the Supreme Court in 1866
      ruled that U.S. citizens could not be tried by a military
      commission so long as federal courts were still in session
      and that their cases must be tried in federal court.)
      "Hamdi has been held without charge even though the
      facts in his case are virtually identical to those in the
      case of John Walker Lindh. Both Hamdi and Lindh were
      captured in Afghanistan as foot soldiers in Taliban units.
      Yet Lindh was given a lawyer and a trial, while Hamdi rots
      in a floating Navy brig in Norfolk, Virginia."
      "This week, the government refused to comply with a
      federal judge who ordered that he be given the underlying
      evidence justifying Hamdi's treatment. The Justice
      Department has insisted that the judge must simply accept
      its declaration and cannot interfere with the president's
      absolute authority 'in time of war.'"
      "Ashcroft hopes to use his self-made 'enemy
      combatant' stamp for any citizen whom he deems to be part
      of a wider terrorist conspiracy."
      (Editor's Comment: Since we apparently no longer play by
      strict rules of admissible evidence, just how will Mr.
      Ashcroft make that determination? By direct telepathic
      communication with "The Lord?")
      "Perhaps because of his discredited claim of
      preventing radiological terrorism," Ashcroft's "aides have
      indicated that a 'high-level committee' will recommend
      which citizens are to be stripped of their constitutional
      rights and sent to Ashcroft's new camps."
      But the camps are not new. Nor are they Mr.
      Ashcroft's creation. The USA's federal government has
      maintained a detention camp system since the passage of
      the Internal Security Act of 1950. According to
      researcher Fred Smart, "There are over 800 prison camps in
      the United States, all fully operational and ready to
      receive prisoners. They are all staffed and even
      maintained by full-time guards, but they are all empty.
      These camps are to be operated by FEMA (Federal Emergency
      Management Agency--J.T.) should martial law be implemented
      in the U.S. All it would take is a presidential signature
      on a proclamation and the Attorney General's (Ashcroft's)
      signature on a warrant to which a list of names has been
      attached."
      At the same time Ashcroft made his little-reported
      speech in Los Angeles, there were reports of increased
      "New World Order" activity in Colorado.
      "The old World War II P.O.W. camp at Trinidad
      (population 9,078) is being renovated. FEMA trucks have
      been seen at the camp in Granada (population 640) in
      Prowers County. Another World War II camp along Route 115
      near the (state) women's prison in Canon City (population
      15,431) is being renovated, too," reported one Colorado
      source.
      Researcher Rose King reported strange military
      maneuvers in the Flat Top Wilderness Area 25 miles (40
      kilometers) north of Glenwood Springs, Colo. (population
      7,736).
      According to the Denver Post, "At sunrise, a bearded
      (U.S.) Army Special Forces' soldier's worried cry rang
      across a high mountain meadow. 'Where's Coco?'"
      "Trained in all manner of combat, the sergeant
      nicknamed 'Bones' had temporarily lost his frisky black
      mare."
      "And this week, with the military launching a new
      effort to hone cavalry skills for Twenty-first Century
      warfare, his wayward steed posed a slight problem."
      "The idea is to help Americans hunt down enemies
      worldwide. Army leaders see horses and mules--combined
      with elite troops and the finest weapons--as ideal for
      operations in roadless parts of Afghanistan, the
      Philippines, Colombia and elsewhere."
      "So Bones and a dozen other members of the 19th
      Special Forces Group were sent camping in the northwestern
      Colorado wilderness for a new 10-day training program."
      "They rode in formation across windswept ridges
      12,000 feet (3,600 meters) and higher, talking into radio
      mouthpieces that left their hands free. They packed and
      unpacked heavy weapons, including a grenade launcher and a
      .50-caliber machine gun onto and off of mules. And they
      learned to control livestock--coaxing horses into bridles,
      begging mules to move along cliffside trails when some
      habitually pause."
      "The Army initiative grew out of improvised
      equestrian efforts in Afghanistan. Special Forces troops
      dropped in from Uzbekistan and met bearded Afghan warlords
      who immediately gave them horses for transport."
      "Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld hailed the
      improvisation as a model for modern combat."
      "Also, there is a major presence of military in the
      streets of many cities in Colorado," Rose King reported,
      "Places like Durango, Pagosa Springs and Cortez are filled
      with plainclothes military. Many of them are foreign,
      too."
      As always, the most alarming "New World Order" rumors
      come from Texas. Here's the latest:
      "An undercover military operative--who was told by
      his superiors not to tell the public or media about this--
      confirmed that preparations for martial law will be
      operative in Texas on November 1 (2004)," the day before
      the USA's national election. "The same operative said in
      the interview that he overheard a soldier say during
      training, 'When do we get to shoot Democrats?'" (See the
      Los Angeles Times for August 30, 2004, "Camps for citizens
      is Ashcroft's hellish vision," by Jonathan Turley,
      professor of constitutional law at George Washington
      University. And the Denver Post for August 26, 2004,
      "U.S. soldiers tap an old ally for new battles." Many
      thanks to Rose King, Fred Smart, Jim Danvers and others
      for these newspaper articles and reports.)
      (Editor's Comment: Normally, Ashcroft and the FEMA camp
      system would be of little or no interest to ufologists.
      The situation changed, however, in January 2004, when, in
      one of his daffier moments, Israeli prime minister Ariel
      Sharon proclaimed, "Ufology is Holocaust denial!" Also,
      Ashcroft did order the FBI to investigate a Nevada
      ufologist as a "terrorist" because he wrote a book about
      Area 51.)

      From the UFO Files...

      653: STRANGE DOINGS
      IN KUFA

      Islam first appeared in Iraq in 637 A.D., when Caliph
      Omar, the third to lead the new sect following the death
      of the Prophet Mohammed (Peace be upon him--J.T.), sent a
      party of armed missionaries to build a military base at
      Basra.
      Iraq, then called Mesopotamia (Greek for the land
      between the rivers --J.T.), had fallen to a number of
      foreign conquerors--Alexander the Great, the Romans, the
      Sassanids of Persia (now Iran--J.T.). But since the end
      of the Roman Empire in 410 A.D., the country had had no
      truly organized government. It was a patchwork quilt of
      many ethnic groups and cultures--Arabs, Christians, Jews,
      Marsh Arabs, Kurds, Assyrians, Lakhmids and Mithraites.
      But from the moment the muzzein first called the
      faithful to Friday prayers in Basra, Islam swept like
      wildfire across the land between the rivers Tigris and
      Euphrates.
      In 638 A.D., the man Caliph Omar had appointed
      governor, Saad Bin Abi Waqqas, built himself a palace, Dar
      el-Imareh, two miles (3 kilometers) north of the town and
      oasis of El-Hira, where the Lakhmid princes had held
      court. A short distance away was the incredibly ancient
      city of Nippur. According to the Sumerian King List,
      Nippur existed thousands of years before "the Great Flood
      of Ut-napishtim." (Better known to our culture as the
      Deluge of Noah's Ark--J.T.)
      In no time at all, a brand-new town sprang up around
      Saad's palace, and the governor himself dedicated its
      mosque. The town was called Kufa, and here it was that a
      baby boy was born to a humble Arab couple on April 20 in
      640 A.D. His name? Abdul Majid al-Hazrad.
      Abdul's childhood was unremarkable, save for one
      curious incident in 644. A tall, gaunt man visited the
      souk (marketplace--J.T.) in Kufa. A man who was rarely
      seen and usually only around the E-Kur, the ancient
      ziqqurat (pyramid) of Nippur.
      Probably the most feared man in the region--the sorcerer
      Yaqoob Hamzi al-Khafaji.
      Abdul saw him in the souk and afterward he ran home to
      tell his mother.
      "Mama! You'll never guess who was in the souk
      today," the youngster said breathlessly. "Yaqoob Hamzi!
      He was here! Here in Kufa! He stopped and looked right
      at me."
      "Did he indeed?" Soraya replied, washing vegetables
      for their evening meal.
      "Abu Daud said he's only seen Yaqoob Hamzi once
      before in his life. And he has a long white beard down to
      his knees. Abu Daud said he saw Yaqoob Hamzi at the oasis
      of Qadisiyeh."
      "When was this?"
      "A long, long time ago, Abu Daud says. He was
      younger than me, he says, and still in diapers. But
      Yaqoob Hamzi looked exactly the same then as he does now."
      Abdul aimed a sidelong glance at his mother. "How can
      that be?"
      "When men get as old as Abu Daud, they sometimes
      remember things that never were," Soraya said, touching
      her son's face. "Pay him no mind."
      "People in the souk say Yaqoob Hamzi is a wizard."
      "People in the souk say many foolish things," Soraya
      replied, glancing at her goatskin bucket. "We are in need
      of water. Fetch some from the well, and then you can go
      and play."
      Watching him gallop out into the yard, Soraya wished
      for the thousandth time that he was not so enthralled with
      tales of ghosts and djinn.
      Two years later, when Abdul was six, tragedy struck.
      While working on a new house, Abdul's father was carrying
      a load of mud bricks when the ground opened beneath his
      sandaled feet. He plunged into a long-forgotten granary,
      now home to a legion of poisonous spiders. Shouting
      fellow workmen used torches to drive the spiders away, but
      he was already dead when he was dragged from the pit.
      While Abdul mourned his dead father, Soraya worried
      about their desperate situation. Here she was, a young
      mother newly widowed, far from her home in Tikrit, with no
      relatives, not even in-laws, and no dowry and no way to
      pay off her husband's debts. She feared that she might
      have to sell herself and Abdul into slavery.
      Then one sunny day, a long, gaunt shadow fell across
      her doorway. Yaqoob Hamzi al-Khafaji had a proposition
      for her.
      "I wish to make your son my chela," he said. "For
      five years, you will send him to the madrassa (Islamic
      school--J.T.), where he will learn to read and write. I
      shall give you the gold for that, plus a modest sum to
      maintain yourself in this house. But when the five years
      are up--when the boy turns eleven--I will come for him,
      and you must give him to me. Do you concur?"
      Soraya's features twisted in anguish. "I-I cannot.
      We are Muslim."
      "So are all of my relatives," said the sorcerer with
      a wry smile. "That is irrelevant. Your son has a unique
      gift, Soraya. I can help him develop it." His dark eyes
      seemed to peer into her soul. "Or would you rather
      condemn Abdul Majid to a lifetime of slavery?"
      So, in the end, Abdul went off to the madrassa, where
      he astounded Shiekh Hazem Mudafar with his eagerness and
      ability to learn. By the age of eight, he had memorized
      al-Quran (the Koran--J.T.). At nine, he had a working
      knowledge of the Christian Gospels, the Talmud and the
      Kabbalah. At ten, he could hold his own with the most
      learned mullahs in Kufa. He seemed destined for a career
      as a Muslim cleric, perhaps as an aide to the new Caliph,
      Ali Bin Abi Talib, nephew of the Prophet Mohammed, who had
      succeeded Omar.
      But, on the boy's eleventh birthday--as promised--
      Yaqoob Hamzi arrived to claim his prize, and Abdul Majid
      al-Hazrad was seen no more in the madrassa. He went to
      live with Yaqoob Hamzi in a cave in the desert beyond
      moldering Nippur. By day, young Abdul labored as a
      shepherd, tending the goats and sheep and doing a thousand
      and one farm chores. But when dusk fell, and Yaqoob lit
      the lamps, the boy's education began.
      First there was language study--Latin, Greek,
      Sanskrit, Farsi, Egyptian hieroglyphics and Sumerian
      cuneiform. And then the reading--the Classics of Greece
      and Rome, the teachings of Gautama and Lao-tse, the
      chronicles of Korath wa-Khasis. There seemed to be no
      bottom to the sorcerer's well of ancient texts.
      And, finally, there was the one-on-one instruction...
      "It has been many millenia since the Year of the Red
      Moon, whereupon the high priests of Shub-Niggurath sought
      to bind the unutterable Ghatanothoa with chains of psychic
      force and came to such an end that not even the dark
      chronicles of Gimil-ishbi dare hint of it. Verily, young
      Abdul, there was quaking aplenty in the Onyx Citadel atop
      Mount Yaddith and in sunken R'lyeh, too, where Great
      Cthulu slumbers in unending repose," said the sorcerer,
      sitting cross-legged on his Kurdish carpet. "Such is the
      power of the sigils that not even the dreadful Dholes of
      eons-forgotten Aklo dare trifle with them."
      "Then, Guru-ji, one needs merely to draw the sigil to
      unleash the power--"
      "No, no, no! One does not draw the sigil, chela."
      Yaqoob threw up his wiry hands in exasperation. "A monkey
      pawing the ground can accidentally write a verse from al-
      Quran. But does the monkey understand the words of the
      Prophet? Of course not! One must understand the forces
      behind the sigil. One must feel the sigil as it forms.
      Knowledge, feeling and intuition--these are the keys,
      young Abdul, to unlocking the power."
      "Tell me more of Shambhala," Abdul pleaded.
      "What is there to tell?" the sorcerer replied,
      "Shambhala exists. It is there. Someday you may receive
      the Call. Or you may not. Why do you fret about the
      distant future when the goats' hooves require trimming in
      the morning?"
      "But you've been there. Many times." Abdul rose
      quickly to his knees. "It's not fair. Why can't I go?"
      "Because you have not received the Call." Yaqoob
      gave his chela a shrewd look. "Why do you want to go,
      Abdul? Do you think Shambhala is a bright, colorful souk
      where you can have a good time? Do you long for a life of
      ease and pleasure like so many of the fools out there? If
      that is true, then Shambhala is the last place you'd want
      to go. It is a place of study and hard work. The arts
      are a trade like any other. Only we deal in forces, not
      in wood and stone and clay."
      "I'm almost ready. I know I am." Again the boy
      assumed the lotus position. "I want to show the Masters
      what I can do."
      "Ready, are you?" The sorcerer's dark eyes gleamed.
      "Pray tell me, then, what is the first prerequisite for
      the Ablution of Zoth-Ommog?"
      Abdul rattled it off with ease. "Invoking the Silver
      Key of lost Kadath."
      "And what is the sign of its coming?"
      "The rising of Ibt al-Janzah." (The star Betelgeuse--
      J.T.)
      "And the Shield of Protection?"
      "The runes of Malygris--Akikluvak, Djilgarm, K'naath,
      Vordavoth. The Adept must make the signs first with the
      left hand, then the right, then the left, then the right.
      And then the reverse."
      "Not bad." The sorcerer let out a deep-throated
      chuckle. "Not bad at all. May the goats' hooves be
      trimmed with equal skill on the morrow."
      And he blew out the brass lamp.

      Next Week: Midnight at the Oasis

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for
      more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you then.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/submit/sightings.shtml

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.