Re: [UFOnet] Fwd: Mysterious_signals_from_1000_light_years_away |_New_Scientist_

  • David Ocame
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2004
      Hello, please read on. The text below was excerted
      from an email received from Dr. H. Paul Schuch,
      Executive director of the SETILeagie, Inc. He has been
      in contact with the scientists who received the
      signal. Here is what he has to say:

      Here is the text of an email received today
      from SEI@home director Dan Werthimer of U.C. Berkeley
      (and now in
      Arecibo):

      >it's a zero on the rio scale.

      >none of our candidates are very interesting - they
      are all
      consisitent with noise. we will continue to observe
      many
      of the candidates over the next few years, but there's
      nothing on the candidate lists we are particularly
      excited about.

      >a reporter from new scientist read the seti@home web
      pages:
      in particular there's a section on "candidate signals"
      where
      we discuss how we score signals and we show the data
      from
      the 220 candidates we re-observed at arecibo 1.5 years
      ago.
      these web pages are old, but the reporter made an
      exciting
      story about them, by exagerating their content and
      mis-quoting
      us and quoting us out of context, and making a press
      release
      about one of the candidates that has a bit higher
      score than
      the others.

      >i talked to a couple of reporters today, explaining
      we've seen
      stuff like this for the last 30 years, and it's always
      turned
      out to be rfi or noise, and that there's nothing to
      get excited
      about, and that when you look at 50 trillion bytes of
      data,
      occasionally you'll find patterns that look unusual
      just from
      noise...

      >i wish we had something in our data to get excited
      about.

      >tomorrow we'll start using the multibeam receiver
      you guys made
      to map HI in the galaxy. the HI survey will take
      about five years.
      we begin in 12 hours.

      >best wishes from arecibo,

      >dan

      The Rio Scale to which Dan refers is a one-to-ten tool
      SETI scientists
      use for quantifying the importance of a candidate
      detection. For
      details, see
      <http://www.setileague.org/iaaseti/rioscale.htm>.

      Yours for SETI success,
      Dr. H. Paul Schuch

      Don't believe everything you read or hear from
      reporters. Their main interest is that you buy their
      newspapers or hear their sponsors ads!

      David Ocame

      =====

      Dave Ocame, N1YVV