Fwd: Scientists bored by UFOs (Tunguska)

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
      News in Science - Scientists bored by UFOs

      http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1183018.htm

      Scientists bored by UFOs
      Victoria Loguinova
      Agençe France-Presse

      Monday, 23 August 2004

      Did a UFO's collision with a comet cause Siberia's famous explosion?
      (Image: iStockphoto)
      A Russian scientist has reopened the controversy over a gigantic explosion
      almost 100 years ago in Siberia with a claim that he has found debris from
      a UFO that collided with a comet.

      But the scientific establishment remains unconvinced.

      On 30 June 1908, a colossal flash lit up the sky over Siberia, followed by
      an explosion with the power of a thousand atom bombs.

      The explosion obliterated the taiga, or forest, for hundreds of square
      kilometres in the basin of the river Podkamennaya Tunguska in the
      Krasnoyarsk region.

      People living in the villages of Siberia thought there had been an
      earthquake. Humans and animals were thrown to the ground by the shockwave
      and windows were blown in.

      No meteorite debris was found and scientists concluded that the core of a
      comet or an asteroid had exploded.

      Researcher Yuri Lavbin has spent 12 years researching the mystery of the
      'Tunguska meteorite' and believes he has found the key to one of the great
      scientific enigmas of the last century, though many scientists remain
      sceptical.

      He is president of the Tunguska Spatial Phenomenon Foundation in
      Krasnoyarsk, made up of some 15 enthusiasts, among them geologists,
      chemists, physicists and mineralogists, who have been organising regular
      expeditions to the area since 1994.

      Lavbin's theory is that a comet and a mysterious flying machine collided
      10 kilometres above the Earth's surface causing the explosion.

      Strange black stones

      He and his team say that on an expedition to the Podkamannaya Tunguska
      river in July they found two strange black stones between two villages.

      The stones were regular cubes with their sides measuring a metre and a
      half.

      These stones "are manifestly not of natural origin", Lavbin said. They
      appear to have been fired and "their material recalls an alloy used to
      make space rockets, while at the beginning of the 20th century only planes
      made of plywood existed".

      He claimed that the cubes were the remains of a flying machine, perhaps an
      extraterrestrial spaceship, while admitting that an analysis of the stones
      had yet to be undertaken.

      He had also found a huge white stone "the size of a peasant's hut" stuck
      in the top of a crag in the middle of the devastated forest.

      "Local people call it the 'reindeer stone'. It is made of a crystalline
      matter which is not typical of this region," Lavbin said. He suggested it
      was part of the core of a comet.

      The scientific establishment has another explanation.

      "There are plenty of amateurs who organise trips to the site of the
      Tunguska cataclysm," said Anna Skripnik of the meteorites committee of the
      Russian Academy of Sciences.
      http://www.pran.ru/eng/

      "In Siberia where oil geologists regularly work you can find a heap of
      fragments of various machines."

      Lavbin is not deterred. To back his theory, he produced satellite photos
      of the region that show the "footprints" of the spaceship (long marshes
      and lakes) and of the comet (devastated forests, charred trees and smashed
      rocks). Not to mention a crater 500 metres across.

      © 2004 Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    • Linette Sukup
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2004
        How does the title fit? Also, I assumed that taiga referred to flat land,
        such as tundra, rather than forest.

        Peace.
        Linette