Nick Pope's Column

    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2, 2004
      July 2004

      Weird World
      NICK POPE

      Welcome to the July 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
      weird and the wonderful.

      Crop Circles

      Crop circles have returned again to the fields of England. Several
      patterns have appeared already, mainly in Wiltshire. I shall be there on
      the weekend of 3 and 4 July 2004, doing some filming with an Italian
      television channel. Those interested in Ministry of Defence involvement
      with the crop circle mystery might like to check out the section of
      www.nickpope.net on crop circles, which contains an official history of
      government and military involvement with the subject. More on crop circles
      next month.

      Toutatis - The Doomsday Asteroid ?

      The internet is buzzing again with stories of impending Armageddon. This
      time the culprit is the asteroid Toutatis, which is due to make a close
      approach to Earth on 29 September 2004. I have received several emails
      about this and seen numerous New Age predictions on various websites. I
      hope this does not lead to the sort of tragedy that arose in the run up to
      the close approach of Comet Hale Bopp in 1997, when 38 disciples of the
      Heavens Gate cult committed suicide. For the record, Toutatis will indeed
      make a close approach to the Earth on 29 September 2004. However, it will
      miss by nearly one million miles, which means it will be around four times
      further away than the moon. Search for the word Toutatis on the NASA
      website www.nasa.gov for the science behind the scare stories. And if you
      have a genuine interest in the threat posed to the Earth by comets and
      asteroids, you might consider joining Spaceguard UK. I am an Associate
      Member and can recommend the organisation highly. Check out
      www.spaceguarduk.com for details.

      Andrew Green

      Veteran ghosthunter Andrew Green died on 21 May 2004. Green was a prolific
      writer, researcher and lecturer on the subject, whose best known book was
      probably his 1973 offering Our Haunted Kingdom. As well as writing about
      cases himself, he edited a number of books on the subject, including The
      Enigma of Borley Rectory, written by Ivan Banks. Green wrote for a number
      of magazines, including Prediction, as well as popping up on TV from time
      to time. In 1996 he undertook a high profile ghost hunt at the Royal
      Albert Hall, the night before the new Proms season began. Aside from
      ghosts and hauntings, he was interested in a wide range of other
      paranormal phenomena. If ghosts do exist, Green may well return to haunt
      fellow ghosthunter Peter Underwood, whose obituary of Green in The
      Independent seemed decidedly ungracious.

      Alien Abduction Study

      July 2004 presents UK based abductees their final opportunity to take part
      in a scientific study into the alien abduction phenomenon, being carried
      out by psychologists at Goldsmiths College, University of London. As
      featured previously in this column, this is the only such study ever to
      have been carried out in the UK. The project has been underway for some
      time now, but the interviewing stage of the study will finish at the end
      of July 2004. I have spoken to several people who have taken part, and
      despite initial nervousness about getting involved in a project of this
      nature, they told me they enjoyed taking part, welcomed the chance to tell
      their stories and be listened to, and felt that the whole experience was
      empowering. Witness confidentiality is guaranteed and abductees can use a
      pseudonym if they wish. Abductees, contactees and experiencers wishing to
      take part should contact Julia Santomauro at apru@... or telephone
      her on 020 7919 7171, extension 4389. Once the scientists have published a
      report into the study and its conclusions, later this year, I will feature
      the story in this column. Watch this space.

      UFO Debate at the Cheltenham Festival of Science

      On 11 June 2004 I debated the UFO phenomenon at the Cheltenham Festival of
      Science. The festival ran for five days and is now in its third year. Its
      sponsors and partners included the British National Space Centre, The
      Royal Society and the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority. The idea is
      to showcase high profile, interesting and contentious issues in
      contemporary science, such as nuclear power, cloning, climate change and
      GM crops. Attendees included NASA astronaut Mark Kelly, Beagle 2 inventor
      Colin Pillinger and Lord Robert Winston. The opening speech was given by
      Government Chief Scientist David King. The debate itself was comparatively
      unremarkable. I said a little bit about the Ministry of Defence UFO
      project, UFO sightings backed by radar evidence, and photographic analysis
      of UFO photographs and videos. I also gave some examples of interesting
      cases investigated by the Department. Radio astronomer Ian Morison (a late
      replacement for BBC News Online science editor David Whitehouse) talked
      about SETI, the Rare Earth theory, light speed, and witness misperception.
      This was followed by questions from the audience, and my only
      disappointment was that despite being billed as a debate, no vote was
      taken. The interesting thing, of course, is that ufology got onto the
      agenda at all, at a science festival of this kind. Consider this alongside
      the fact that psychologists at Goldsmiths College University of London are
      conducting a scientific study into the alien abduction phenomenon. And
      consider it too alongside the fact that the new multi million pound Dana
      Centre at the Science Museum held a UFO debate in December 2003. I believe
      these are encouraging signs for ufology. If nothing else, it rather
      undermines some of the silly stories that have been circulating recently,
      falsely proclaiming that ufology is dead.

      Ed's Note:

      Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
      of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
      Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
      alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
      Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating UFO
      and abduction data. All four titles are available from most good bookshops
      and all the usual Internet book sites.

      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

      © Knight International
      www.knight-intl.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 5, 2004
        August 2004

        NICK POPE’S WEIRD WORLD

        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2004/105.cntns

        Welcome to the August 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
        weird and the wonderful.

        Crop Circles

        The crop circle season is in full swing, with all sorts of new formations,
        events, media coverage and controversy. The biggest conference was the
        Glastonbury Symposium 2004. It was held on 23 to 25 July and featured
        talks from the likes of John Mack, Robert Bauval, Michael Glickman, Dr
        Eltjo Haselhoff, Andy Thomas and Steve Alexander. Circlemakers Rod
        Dickinson and John Lundberg have meanwhile being featured in the media
        talking about their commercial circle making activities. This typically
        involves their being paid to produce corporate logos for advertising
        campaigns or formations that promote TV series. This, of course, is where
        the controversy arises. Sceptics point to the intricacy of some of these
        commissioned works and say this proves all the pictograms are made by
        people. Believers disagree, saying that while these commissioned works are
        impressive, they are not as complex as the most intricate of pictograms.
        They also point out that commissioned formations are produced in daylight,
        quite openly, whereas they say the most spectacular pictograms have
        appeared in a few short hours, overnight. I got a chance to make a brief
        visit to Alton Barnes on 4 July when I was interviewed in The Barge Inn by
        an Italian TV company making a programme on the crop circle mystery. The
        Barge Inn is a lovely pub by the canal and is often used as a meeting
        point for crop circle researchers and enthusiasts.

        Sixto Paz Wells

        Peruvian contactee Sixto Paz Wells made a rare visit to the UK recently
        and I attended a lecture he gave in London on 29 June. With the current
        focus on alien abductions, it is interesting from a ufological perspective
        to come across someone whose story is reminiscent of the claims made by
        people like George Adamski, Truman Bethurum, Daniel Fry and Howard Menger.

        Atlantis

        A new theory about Atlantis, this time from a German scientist, Dr Rainer
        Kuehne. He believes that satellite photographs of an area near Cadiz in
        Spain show evidence of ancient flood damage consistent with the original
        descriptions of Atlantis offered by Plato. Dr Kuehne is trying to persuade
        archaeologists to take a look at the site, with a view to carrying out an
        excavation.

        Laurance Rockefeller

        Sad news of the death of another hero of ufology. Conservationist,
        philanthropist and businessman Laurance Rockefeller died on 11 July at the
        age of 93. Rockefeller financed the production of a UFO briefing document
        entitled Best Available Evidence, which was subsequently sent to various
        world leaders. I was not directly involved in the production of this
        document but was quoted in it and received a copy of the final product,
        which was in later years published as a paperback. The production of the
        document owed much to the dedication of Don Berliner, Marie Galbraith,
        Antonio Huneeus and Sandra Wright. It marked a high point in ufological
        cooperation, with CUFOS, FUFOR and MUFON all fully engaged.

        SynchroFile

        Paranormal investigator Raymond Fowler has a new book out that deals with
        the intriguing subject of synchronicity. Drawing on personal experience,
        Fowler examines various paranormal phenomena such as UFOs, ghosts,
        telepathy and out of body experiences, speculating that they are all
        linked. A unified theory of the paranormal? Order from Amazon or other
        outlets and decide for yourself.

        After The Martian Apocalypse

        Mac Tonnies has just had a new book published looking at the idea that
        there was once a civilisation on Mars. This is not the first book to look
        into these theories, but it is interesting to note that interest in Mars
        is still high.

        SPI Talk

        I shall be giving a talk at the SPI group run by Malcolm Robinson on 28
        August. I will be discussing what it was like to work on the Ministry of
        Defence UFO Project and shall be looking at some previously unknown
        aspects of this work, in relation to some of the other strange reports
        that came our way in the margins of our UFO work.

        Media Interest In UFOs

        A couple of other things to report in relation to my own media
        appearances. I appeared on Xchange on CBBC on 2 July and will be appearing
        on some Sky One programmes looking at science fiction, in September. More
        about this next month.

        Ed's Note:

        Nick Pope has written four books. Open Skies, Closed Minds is an overview
        of the UFO phenomenon with the emphasis on his official Ministry of
        Defence research and investigation. The Uninvited is an overview of the
        alien abduction mystery. Operation Thunder Child and Operation Lightning
        Strike are science fiction novels about alien invasion, incorporating
        genuine UFO and abduction data. They are also the only science fiction
        novels ever to have needed official government clearance. All four titles

        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

        © Knight International
        www.knight-intl.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 2, 2004
          September 2004

          Weird World
          NICK POPE

          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/September_2004/115.cntns

          Welcome to the September 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
          weird and the wonderful.

          Crop Circle Apocalypse

          The annual battle between farmers and crop circle enthusiasts is under
          way, with the usual accusations and counter accusations concerning the
          provenance of formations, damage to crops, revenue made for charging
          access to crop circles, etc. There are no easy answers here, though
          everybody wants you to have one.

          Rendlesham Forest Skywatch

          British UFO Research Association and Strange Phenomena Investigations
          members were out in force on Saturday 14 August at Rendlesham Forest.
          Former United States Air Force security policeman Larry Warren gave a talk
          about the incident and then led a tour of the forest, pointing out some of
          the sites associated with the famous UFO incident from 1980. Interest in
          this incident refuses to go away.

          Bonnybridge UFO Theme Park

          Another UK UFO hotspot, Bonnybridge in Scotland, has been at the centre of
          rumours concerning a new theme park, centred around the UFO phenomenon.
          Newspaper reports claim that a multi million pound deal has been struck to
          create an attraction that could be on the scale of Disneyland and might
          create as many as twelve thousand new jobs. Local councillor Billy
          Buchanan has consistently lobbied to raise the profile of the UFO
          phenomenon and has lent his support to the project. Watch this space.

          SETI Conference

          A conference on the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence was held at
          Harvard University on 6 August. One of the key players present was Frank
          Drake, widely regarded as the father of SETI. The theme of the conference
          was quite provocative, as it focused on the reasons for the negative
          results achieved thus far. Drake and others believe that the time may have
          come for looking not just for radio signals but for powerful bursts of
          light that night be used as a beacon, to announce the presence of an
          extraterrestrial civilisation. Some SETI optimists believe that our
          capacity to conduct meaningful searches is advancing so rapidly that we
          will be able to detect signals from extraterrestrial intelligences within
          twenty years at the maximum. Again, watch this space.

          The Tunguska Event

          On 30 June 1908 something crashed in the Tunguska region of Siberia,
          flattening a vast area of forest and led to weird atmospheric phenomena
          witnessed all around the world. Theories have ranged from comets and
          meteorites through to black holes, anti matter and alien spacecraft. The
          latter theory has now had a boost with reports from Russia suggesting that
          a new scientific expedition has discovered artificial objects believed to
          have come from an extraterrestrial spacecraft. Is this a publicity stunt
          or has something actually been recovered? Watch this space, because I
          suspect we shall be hearing more about this in the next month or so.

          Sunday Express Ghost Story

          You expect from time to time to see stories about ghosts in the national
          newspapers. You expect that such stories will be a little lighthearted or
          written in an over the top style. What you do not expect is for the editor
          to come out and discuss a personal sighting. And yet that is precisely
          what happened on 15 August in the Sunday Express. The editor, Martin
          Townsend, devoted his column to giving an account of an encounter he and
          his then girlfriend had. They were walking through the village where he
          lived when they saw both saw a well known local man. Townsend said that
          something was troubling him about this, but for a moment he could not
          place the source of his anxiety. And then it hit him. The man had died a
          month or two beforehand. Townsend made no sensational claims and was not
          trying to make any profound points about religion or the afterlife. He was
          simply giving a no frills account of what he had seen. Sometimes the most
          sensational stories are the ones written in the least sensational way.

          Questing Conference 2004

          Andrew Collins is already planning Questcon04, the latest in a long line
          of successful conferences focusing on alternative history, forbidden
          archaeology and hidden teachings. Speakers include Lynn Picknett and Clive
          Prince talking about the Priory of Sion, Alan Alford discussing secret
          chambers in the Great Pyramid, Robert Feather speaking about the Spear of
          Destiny and Andrew Collins giving a presentation on the True Grail. Graham
          Phillips will attend if his other commitments permit. The conference is
          being held on Saturday 6 November at Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regents Park
          Road, Camden, London. The conference is being sponsored by Nexus Magazine.
          Check out www.questingconference.com for more details.

          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

          © Knight International
          www.knight-intl.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004
            October 2004

            Weird World
            NICK POPE

            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2004/125.cntns

            Welcome to the October 2004 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
            weird and the wonderful.

            Crop Circle Advertisement

            Yet another commercial company has used crop circle imagery in a high
            profile advertising campaign, showing once again how firmly embedded the
            phenomenon is in the public consciousness. Mobile telephone operator O2 is
            the latest in a long line of companies who have used crop circles in an
            advertisement. They are unlikely to be the last.

            Peter Robbins and Larry Warren

            Peter Robbins and Larry Warren have been giving a series of talks on the
            so called Rendlesham Forest incident, arguably the most famous UFO case in
            the world aside from Roswell. Larry was based at Bentwaters/Woodbridge at
            the time of the incident, and Peter (who works closely with abduction
            researcher Budd Hopkins) is one of the leading experts on this case. They
            are the authors of the book Left At East Gate. Larry currently lives in
            Liverpool, but Peter, a native New Yorker, is making a rare but welcome
            trip to the UK. I shall be spending some time with him, discussing the
            case and visiting the site of the incident.

            Graham Birdsall

            It is hard to believe it is now just over a year since Graham Birdsall
            died. His tragic and untimely death was a devastating blow for his family
            and friends, but also for ufology more generally. The subsequent closure
            of UFO Magazine was also a sad loss for ufology. Several people have
            worked tirelessly to produce internet magazines that attempt to fill the
            gap left by UFO Magazine. While these efforts are to be commended, UFO
            Magazine will be a hard act to follow.

            Lord Hill-Norton

            It is also hard to believe that Lord Hill-Norton, another hero of ufology,
            is no longer with us. He died in May and a memorial service was held on 23
            September. Sadly, I was unable to attend, because of an overseas work
            commitment.

            Ultimate Sci-Fi Top 10

            Granada TV made three programmes for Sky One, looking at popular science
            fiction. I took part in these programmes (looking specifically at aliens,
            robots and science fiction moments) which were screened on 13, 20 and 27
            September, but which have already been repeated extensively. There is a
            long running debate over the influence of sci-fi on ufology, with sceptics
            claiming that sci-fi has influenced and perhaps in some cases inspired
            some UFO reports. Ufologists point out that the situation is equally true
            in reverse, with series like The X-Files, Taken and Dark Skies
            incorporating ufological motifs. Indeed, it should not be forgotten that
            Steven Spielberg used Dr J Allen Hynek, the Project Blue Book scientific
            consultant, as a consultant on Close Encounters of the Third Kind. An
            interesting counterargument to the assertion that UFO witnesses are
            consciously or subconsciously basing their accounts on things they have
            picked up from science fiction can be found by looking at the UFO and
            abduction literature. The carrying of laser weaponry (a common sci-fi
            motif) is almost completely absent from witness reports.

            Questing Conference 2004

            As reported last month, Andrew Collins is putting the finishing touches to
            the arrangements for Questcon04, the latest in a long line of successful
            conferences focusing on alternative history, forbidden archaeology and
            hidden teachings. Speakers include Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince talking
            about the Priory of Sion, Alan Alford discussing secret chambers in the
            Great Pyramid, Robert Feather speaking about the Spear of Destiny and
            Andrew Collins giving a presentation on the True Grail. Graham Phillips
            will attend if his other commitments permit. The conference is being held
            on Saturday 6 November at Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regents Park Road, Camden,
            London. The conference is being sponsored by Nexus Magazine. Check out
            www.questingconference.com for more details.

            The Da Vinci Code

            I have finally got around to reading The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown. The
            book is hugely enjoyable and will be appreciated by anybody with an
            interest in alternative religious history. The Templars, the Priory of
            Sion and Mary Magdalene all feature, and indeed The Templar Revelation by
            Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince is one of the books that clearly inspired
            Dan Brown, who mentions it specifically in the text, along with Holy
            Blood, Holy Grail, another key source. Highly recommended.

            X-Conference

            The X-Conference, organised this Spring by Stephen Bassett, was
            undoubtedly the most important UFO conference of the year. Plans for a
            second such event, in 2005, are currently on hold, pending underwriting
            support.

            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

            © Knight International
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 3, 2004
              December 2004 - January 2005

              Weird World
              NICK POPE

              Welcome to the joint December 2004 and January 2005 round up of news and
              views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
              unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

              The Naked Scientists

              The Naked Scientists Online Radio Show is an initiative based at the
              University of Cambridge and funded in part by the Royal Society. It aims
              to bring cutting edge science, often involving controversial and high
              profile subjects, to a wide audience, and do so in an entertaining way. I
              have been asked to take part on 19 December and to discuss the Ministry of
              Defence UFO project and the UFO sightings and alien abduction reports more
              generally. Check out www.thenakedscientists.com for further details.
              Because of the pressure of other commitments I do less talks for UFO
              groups than used to be the case. But I think it is hugely important for
              people involved in ufology to do what they can to take the subject to a
              wider audience, and especially to engage with the world of science. In the
              last year I have debated the UFO subject at the Dana Centre, part of the
              Science Museum in London, and have appeared at the Cheltenham Festival of
              Science. Next March I shall be lecturing at the Newcastle Science
              Festival. I shall keep readers posted on these appearances.

              Ghosts, Orbs and the MOD

              The MOD house magazine Focus has run another article on ghosts, reflecting
              the vast number of military bases that are alleged to be haunted. I first
              heard of some of these accounts whilst running the UFO project, but active
              investigation was outside my remit. Devonport Naval Base is the latest
              location to be studied, with a team from the Society of Metaphysicians
              based at Brunel University investigating the site, where naval ratings and
              security guards have been frequently scared by ghostly apparitions and
              related phenomena. Leading the study was psychic Goldy Bromley, whose team
              brought motion detectors, night vision cameras, laser thermometers and
              sound detection equipment. They also brought dowsing rods and toys for the
              spirits of children believed to haunt the base. Goldy Bromley subsequently
              claimed that some form of communication with spirits had taken place. As
              some of the ghosts are believed to be spirits of French soldiers from the
              Napoleonic era, the investigators hummed the French national anthem. It is
              claimed that this led to the appearance of orbs that were recorded on the
              night vision cameras. Similar balls of light have often been reported on
              skywatches and in areas closely associated with UFO sightings, such as
              Rendlesham Forest. The ghostbusters were accompanied by Naval personnel,
              and a report is being drawn up. I will keep readers posted on developments.

              Ghosts on the London Underground

              Still on the subject of ghosts, the London Underground is another place
              where numerous ghosts have been seen. A new television series will attempt
              to draw together ghostly experiences witnessed by staff and passengers
              alike. Check out www.underlondonground.co.uk for details and if you have
              had a ghostly experience on the tube, email it to
              info@... and you could be on TV. And yes, the website
              and email addresses are correct. There is no ghost in the machine here.

              The Holy Grail and The Priory of Sion

              Codebreakers at Bletchley Park were called in to help decipher an
              inscription at a stately home in Staffordshire. Rumoured to be a clue as
              to the location of the Holy Grail, it is now believed that the message
              relates to the mysterious and heretical Priory of Sion. Work to decode the
              message was undertaken by Oliver and Sheila Lawn, an elderly couple who
              were based at Bletchley Park during the Second World War. The so-called
              Shugborough Code reads D OUOSVAVV M and Oliver Lawn said it was harder to
              break than the Enigma Code, because there were so few letters. But the
              inscription is underneath a carving of Nicolas Poussin, rumoured to have
              been a Grand Master of the Priory of Sion. The message is believed to read
              Jesus (As Deity) Defy, which would reflect the heretical belief of the
              sect that Jesus was not divine.

              Atlantis

              Robert Sarmast, an American explorer, claims that he has discovered the
              real location of the Lost City of Atlantis. Following clues in the
              writings of Plato, he led an expedition to the Mediterranean waters off
              the coast of Cyprus. He claims that sonar scans he took provide evidence
              of man made structures on a hill flooded in around 9000 BC. He believes
              these scans show traces of walls and paths, but admitted that no artefacts
              had been recovered, on the basis that they are buried deep under sediment.
              Readers may recall a claim earlier in the year that the remains of
              Atlantis had been found in Spain, in a salt marsh. These claims surface
              from time to time, but I will keep readers informed if anything
              substantive develops.

              The Men Who Stare At Goats

              This latest and marvellously named book by Jon Ronson deals with some of
              the more bizarre studies undertaken by the US military, and some of the
              strange tactics they have adopted. From PsyOps to Remote Viewing, this
              book manages to be informative, entertaining and disturbing in equal
              measures. When running the UFO project at the MOD I was occasionally
              approached by remote viewers offering to become psychic spies. Sadly,
              nobody claiming such abilities was ever able to demonstrate this
              practically, so nothing came of the offers. Ronson, however, lifts the lid
              on a far more elaborate regime in which the Americans, often under the
              command of Major General Albert Stubblebine III, experimented with the
              weird and the wonderful on a far greater scale. Is invisibility possible?
              Can people walk through walls? Can remote viewers spy on enemies of the
              state, or even on extraterrestrials? And is it possible, through the power
              of your mind, to kill an animal just by staring at it? This book is
              seriously weird and hugely fun.

              Friendly Fire

              Authors Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince are best known for books such as
              The Stargate Conspiracy and The Templar Revelation, the latter being one
              of the key sources for the Dan Brown classic The Da Vinci Code. Their
              latest book, Friendly Fire, is a fascinating study of how the Second World
              War Allies manipulated and misled each other in their attempts to gain
              advantage not just against the Germans and the Japanese, but against each
              other. Deception, lies, intrigue, espionage and assassination abound, and
              readers will never view wartime leaders such as Churchill and Roosevelt in
              the same way again. There are fresh insights into the mystery of Rudolph
              Hess and his bizarre flight to Scotland, together with revelations
              concerning Soviet acquisition of atomic technology, and the roots of the
              Cold War. The book was co-written with the late Stephen Prior and
              incorporates additional historical research by military historian Robert
              Brydon. Check out www.mainstreampublishing.com for further details of this
              book. Fascinating and disturbing, this book will change your view about
              some of the key events that shaped the world in which we live.

              Seasons Greetings

              Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
              New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
              currently serving their country in Iraq, Afghanistan and other overseas
              locations. You may be far from home, but you are still in our thoughts.
              Stay safe.

              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

              © Knight International
              www.knight-intl.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2005
                February 2005

                Weird World
                NICK POPE

                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2005/155.cntns

                Welcome to the February 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                weird and the wonderful.

                UFOs and the Freedom of Information Act

                As I predicted some time ago, information on UFOs has become one of the
                most popular subjects requested under the Freedom of Information Act,
                which came fully into force on January 1 2005. Indeed, it was one of a
                handful of subjects picked out for special mention by the National
                Archives. The National Archives marked the coming into force of the Act by
                proactively releasing a large number of government files, including
                several dealing with UFO sightings. There was extensive media coverage of
                this, including articles in The Independent and the Daily Mail. Details of
                the newly released UFO files can be found at the following link
                www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/releases/2005/ januaryfoi/list4.htm and more
                extensive UFO research can be done by accessing the main National Archives
                website at www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ and searching the site, using a
                range of search terms such as UFO, unidentified, flying saucers, etc.

                Rendlesham Forest UFO Documents

                More UFO documents relating to the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident have
                been released, this time by Suffolk Police. Their holdings are limited and
                include some public correspondence, but also released for the first time
                is the police log of the incident. This can be viewed at the following
                link www.suffolk.police.uk/NR/rdonlyres/
                2EF34838-589D-4DA7-95F1-CA23BE34E924/ 0/unusuallights.pdf or by searching
                the Suffolk Police website www.suffolk.police.uk/ for information, using
                the keyword Rendlesham.

                Newcastle Science Festival

                I have been asked to appear at the Newcastle Science Festival, to give a
                lecture on UFOs. The festival runs from March 11-21 2005 and I will be
                appearing on Saturday March 12. I spoke last year at the Cheltenham
                Festival of Science and always welcome the opportunity to discuss the UFO
                phenomenon at a science event, as it presents an opportunity to explain
                that UFOs can and should be the study of serious study, done in line with
                proper scientific methodology. It was no coincidence that the Ministry of
                Defence UFO project has its roots in interest expressed by one of its
                Chief Scientific Advisers, the legendary radar pioneer Sir Henry Tizard.
                Details of the festival can be found at the following link
                www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk/ and the website will shortly be
                updated to give more details of the various presentations. If you can get
                along, I look forward to seeing you.

                Sunday Express UFO Article

                On January 30 2005 the Sunday Express ran a double page UFO feature in its
                review section. The article featured UFO researcher Philip Mantle, UFO
                witness Craig Malcolm from the Scottish UFO hotspot Bonnybridge, and James
                Millen, an abductee. There was some more general background information on
                the subject and I was quoted commenting on the British Government UFO
                project and on the Rendlesham Forest UFO case involving the twin bases at
                RAF Bentwaters and RAF Woodbridge.

                X-Conference 2005

                The second X-Conference, organised by Stephen Bassett, will be held on
                April 22-24 2005, in Washington DC. Check out
                www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/X-Conference.htm for details of the
                conference, and check www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the wider UFO
                disclosure orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The details of
                the participating speakers are now firming up and include Stanton
                Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan, Michael Salla,
                Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and Alfred Webre. I will cover this extensive
                conference in further detail as the event approaches.

                Daniel Augusto Chiesa

                For those interested in UFOs and Egyptology, and a possible link between
                the subjects, check out www.danaug.com for details of the thoughts,
                experiences and related artwork of Daniel Augusto Chiesa.

                White Noise

                Electronic Voice Phenomenon is a way in which many believe the voices of
                the dead can be picked up and listened to. This used to be regarded as a
                fringe paranormal phenomenon, but has now attracted the attention of
                Hollywood. A movie entitled White Noise has now been released, covering
                the subject. Starring Michael Keaton, the movie tells the story of a man
                offered the opportunity to contact his dead wife. Check out
                www.whitenoisemovie.com for details.

                Andrew Lownie

                Andrew Lownie, a UK literary agent who represents a number of writers on
                the UFO phenomenon, has recently updated his new website. Check out
                www.andrewlownie.co.uk for details of Andrew and his work.

                Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                © Knight International
                www.knight-intl.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 5, 2005
                  March 2005

                  Weird World
                  NICK POPE

                  http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/March_2005/165.cntns

                  Welcome to the March 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                  abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                  weird and the wonderful.

                  Daily Mail UFO Article

                  Media interest in UFO documents and files released under the Freedom of
                  Information Act continues, and many national and local newspapers have run
                  features on the subject. I was commissioned by the daily Mail to write a
                  full page article on this, which duly appeared on February 2. The article
                  covered the history of the Ministry of Defence UFO project, and
                  highlighted some of the most interesting sightings that the Department has
                  investigated.

                  Newcastle Science Festival

                  I will be speaking at the Newcastle Science Festival on Saturday March 12.
                  Details of the festival can be found at
                  http://www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk while the hyperlink
                  http://www.newcastlesciencefestival.co.uk/eventdetail.asp?e=49 should take
                  you to brief details of my presentation. I spoke last year at the
                  Cheltenham Festival of Science and have previously debated the subject at
                  the Dana Centre, which is part of the Science Museum in London. I always
                  welcome the opportunity to discuss the UFO phenomenon at a science event,
                  as it presents an opportunity to explain that UFOs can and should be the
                  study of serious study, done in line with proper scientific methodology.
                  If you can get to Newcastle, I look forward to seeing you.

                  Species III

                  I have been doing some promotional work in respect of the forthcoming
                  rental release of the new collectors edition DVD of the cult sci-fi movie
                  Species III. The DVD will be released on March 28, and stars Natasha
                  Henstridge and Sunny Mabrey. As anybody who has watched Metropolis or
                  Barbarella will tell you, sex and sci-fi mix very well. Species III is a
                  case in point. Look out for the DVD with its numerous special features,
                  and for various UFO and alien related articles coinciding with the
                  release. Sci-fi and horror fans alike will love this.

                  Aliens: Why They Are Here

                  Sunday Times cultural commentator Bryan Appleyard has a new book published
                  in March, examining the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon in a cultural
                  context. Although not yet received for review, the book - published by
                  Simon & Schuster - is bound to provoke debate. More on this next month.

                  Blue Book Archive

                  The United States Air Force UFO research effort, codenamed Project Blue
                  Book, was the big brother, so to speak, of the UK project that I stewarded
                  from 1991 to 1994. The archives are extensive, and still a great resource
                  for anyone with a serious interest in UFOs. Check out
                  http://www.bluebookarchive.org for access to this fantastic ufological
                  resource.

                  The Hijack - Remote Viewing Novel

                  Thriller author Duncan Falconer has written several best-selling novels
                  dealing with terrorism and special forces. He knows his stuff, as they
                  say. His book The Hijack, apart from being an exciting read, covers the
                  subject of remote viewing. Alternatively known as psychic spying, this
                  technique has been tried by various governments, to see if they can use it
                  to locate submarines, drugs caches and other items of interest. When I ran
                  the UK UFO project I had a steady stream of people volunteering to psychic
                  spy for their county, simply because my office became the focal point for
                  anything weird and wonderful. It is interesting to see the concept worked
                  into a novel, especially one so gripping as this. Check out
                  http://www.andrewlownie.co.uk/books/falconer.duncan/hijack.shtml for
                  further details.

                  http://www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/X-Conference.htm for details of
                  the conference, and check http://www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the
                  wider UFO disclosure orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The
                  details of the participating speakers are now firming up and include
                  Stanton Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan,
                  Michael Salla, Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and Alfred Webre.

                  Psychic Detective

                  The TV show Psychic Detective is looking for people who have had a
                  mysterious death or disappearance in the family, with a view to engaging a
                  psychic medium to look into the case. I am not involved with this show,
                  and sceptics would doubtless regard this as exploitative, but some people
                  may want to engage in this, and one should never prejudge the results. The
                  TV production company can be contacted by email on
                  psychic.detective@... or telephoned on 020 7515 2332.

                  Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                  © Knight International
                  www.knight-intl.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 4 3:55 AM
                    April 2005

                    http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/April_2005/172.cntns

                    Weird World
                    NICK POPE

                    Welcome to the April 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                    abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                    weird and the wonderful.

                    Bizarre

                    Page 114 of the May issue of Bizarre contains an interview with me, in
                    which I describe some of the weird and wonderful cases that I came across
                    while running the UFO Project at the Ministry of Defence. I cover some UFO
                    sightings that are explained and others that remain a mystery, delve into
                    the issue of cover-ups and conspiracies, and look at alien abductions.
                    Although covering a full page, the interview is a heavily edited version
                    of what was a lengthy discussion, and inevitably, a couple of comments
                    have been taken out of context. Furthermore, Bizarre is a somewhat risqué
                    magazine that some might find offensive. However, it is more evidence that
                    the media are taking an increased interest in UFOs.

                    Asteroid Alert

                    As an Associate Member of Spaceguard UK, a lobby group raising awareness
                    on the threat posed to the Earth by comets and asteroids, I was pleased to
                    see the Daily Mail run a full page article on March 15, dealing with the
                    work of Scottish scientist Dr Gianmarco Radice. Radice works at the
                    Aerospace Engineering Department at Glasgow University and has won a
                    research grant from the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research
                    Council. Unlike most current work, his study will focus not on detection,
                    but on the technology of interception and deflection. Check
                    http://www.spaceguarduk.com/ for information of the threat we face and the
                    action being taken to deal with it.

                    Newcastle Science Festival

                    My March 12 talk at Newcastle Science Festival was a great success, with
                    an audience of around 350 and a question time that ran on for a long time
                    after the scheduled period. It is easy to talk at UFO conferences, because
                    there is a sense that one is preaching to the converted. It is more
                    difficult to discuss UFOs at science events, and yet this will probably
                    achieve more, in the longer term. I was particularly pleased to see so
                    many young people taking such an active interest.

                    The Beast of Sydenham

                    More big cat sightings from the UK, with children being kept inside and
                    armed police roaming the streets trying to track it down. I have been
                    warning of this threat for years and have predicted that, tragically, it
                    is only a matter of time before a child is killed. The latest alert
                    follows an attack on a 36 year old man and a sighting by a police officer.
                    In a related story, farmers in Oxfordshire have put up a reward for the
                    capture of a big cat held responsible for killing livestock.

                    Species III

                    As mentioned in my last column, I have been doing some promotional work in
                    respect of the forthcoming rental release of the new collectors edition
                    DVD of the cult sci-fi movie Species III. The DVD was released on March 28
                    and stars Natasha Henstridge and Sunny Mabrey. As anybody who has watched
                    Metropolis or Barbarella will tell you, sex and sci-fi mix very well.
                    Species III is a case in point. Look out for the DVD with its numerous
                    special features. Sci-fi and horror fans alike will love it. A series of
                    UFO and alien abduction related articles are appearing to coincide with
                    the launch of the DVD, of which the article in Bizarre magazine is the
                    first.

                    Aliens: Why They Are Here

                    Sunday Times cultural commentator Bryan Appleyard has a new book published
                    in March, examining the UFO and alien abduction phenomenon in a cultural
                    context. I have now received a review copy and am midway through the book.
                    Although I do not agree with some of the points Bryan makes, this is a
                    very well written book and easily the most significant addition to the
                    ufological literature in recent years. Go to
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/
                    0743256859/qid=1111928893/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/
                    026-6976479-4448465 for details of the book and how to order it.

                    X-Conference 2005

                    Time is running out for those of you who wish to attend the second
                    X-Conference, organised by Stephen Bassett, which will be held on April
                    22-24 2005, in Washington DC. Check out
                    http://www.paradigmclock.com/X-Conference/
                    X-Conference.htm for details of the conference, and check
                    http://www.paradigmclock.com/ for details of the wider UFO disclosure
                    orientated work undertaken by Stephen Bassett. The participating speakers
                    are now confirmed and include Stanton Friedman, Ann Druffel, Robert and
                    Ryan Wood, Jaime Maussan, Michael Salla, Paola Harris, Richard Dolan and
                    Alfred Webre. It promises to be a superb conference, and while this is
                    primarily aimed at US readers, a fair few Brits made the trek over last
                    year, and very much enjoyed themselves. And Washington in springtime is
                    one of those trips that everybody should make once in a lifetime, to see
                    the cherry trees in bloom, visit the White House and marvel at the Wright
                    Flyer, on display at the Smithsonian.

                    Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                    © Knight International
                    www.knight-intl.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 5, 2005
                      May 2005

                      Weird World
                      NICK POPE

                      Welcome to the May 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                      weird and the wonderful.

                      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/May_2005/181.cntns

                      London UFO Conference

                      Details of what promises to be the most ambitious UFO conference held in
                      the UK for several years have now been announced. The Scientific Evidence
                      For UFOs is a one day conference being held in London on Saturday June 11.
                      Keynote speakers are Dr Richard Haines, Timothy Good, Dr Vladimir Rubtsov,
                      Dr Viktor Zhuravlev and myself. Click on
                      http://www.wddty.co.uk/ufo_conference_info.asp for further details of this
                      major UFO conference.

                      Countdown To Oblivion

                      Recently received for review, an extraordinary new book about alien
                      abductions, entitled Countdown To Oblivion. Written by D J Haskell and
                      published by Trafford Publishing (UK) Ltd, this book reads in many ways
                      more like some of the old contactee titles. Some may see this book as
                      quite New Age in its approach, and sceptics will doubtless question much
                      of the material, especially that part relating to the enigmatic entity
                      referred to as The Stranger. However, this is an intriguing addition to
                      alien abduction literature, and is bound to spark debate about the true
                      nature of the UFO phenomenon and the alien abduction mystery. Check out
                      www.trafford.com for further details.

                      Mars

                      In the aftermath of the ill fated Beagle 2 mission, the European Space
                      Agency has announced its intention to return to the Red Planet, with a new
                      mission due to leave the Earth in 2011 and arrive in 2013. This new
                      mission would again include a roving robot, and a key aim would be to
                      search for evidence of life. The details of the mission have yet to be
                      agreed, but the intention is clear. One option being considered is a
                      mission to return Martian rocks to Earth for study.

                      Nexus Conference

                      Nexus magazine runs an interesting mix of esoteric material, conspiracy
                      theories, allegedly suppressed information, ufology and the paranormal.
                      Their annual conference is due to take place from May 13 - 15 in
                      Amsterdam. Speakers will include Laurence Gardner, Linda Moulton Howe,
                      David Hatcher Childress, Alfred Lambremont Webre and Nexus publisher and
                      editor Duncan Roads. Subjects to be covered include the Tunguska incident,
                      Mary Magdalene, UFO crash retrievals, ancient Egyptian knowledge, mind
                      control and out of body experiences. Check out www.nexusmagazine.com for
                      details.

                      Moon Dust

                      Andrew smith has written a fascinating new book about the space programme,
                      focusing on how the Apollo astronauts adjusted to life back on Earth. This
                      is an extraordinary book about some extraordinary men. The views of Edgar
                      Mitchell are interesting, and his deeply spiritual beliefs have already
                      been published in his own fascinating book, The Way of the Explorer.
                      Nonetheless, one is left with a sense that these extraordinary brave
                      individuals have found it difficult to adjust to life back on Earth, as if
                      everything that followed their brief adventure was an anti climax.
                      Fascinating, tragic and a little disturbing.

                      More Planet Earths

                      British scientists at the Open University have published new theories
                      supporting the idea that approximately half of all planetary systems could
                      harbour a planet like Earth. The new theoretical models suggest that such
                      planets may exist in far greater numbers than previously suggested,
                      offering the tantalising prospect that extraterrestrial life could be far
                      more widespread than previous estimates made by SETI scientists such as
                      Frank Drake. The research has been published in Astrophysical Journal.

                      New Piatkus Catalogue

                      The new Piatkus book catalogue is out, detailing titles due to be
                      published in the second half of 2005. Piatkus publish a wide range of
                      paranormal and New Age titles, and books in the latest catalogue include
                      Phenomenon by Sylvia Browne and Life Before Life, a book by Dr Jim B
                      Tucker about reincarnation claims made by children. Check out
                      www.piatkus.co.uk for further details.

                      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                      © Knight International
                      www.knight-intl.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 9, 2005
                        June 2005

                        Weird World
                        NICK POPE

                        http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/June_2005/190.cntns

                        Welcome to the June 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                        abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                        weird and the wonderful.

                        The Scientific Evidence For UFOs

                        Details of what promises to be the most ambitious UFO conference held in
                        the UK for several years have now been announced. The Scientific Evidence
                        For UFOs is a one day conference being held in London on Saturday June 11,
                        at the Friends Meeting House on Euston Road. Keynote speakers include Dr
                        Richard Haines, Dr Vladimir Rubtsov, Dr Viktor Zhuravlev and myself. Click
                        on www.wddty.co.uk/ufo_conference_info.asp for further details of this
                        major UFO conference, which is latest in the series of conferences
                        organised by Living The Field. Check out www.livingthefield.com for
                        details of this organisation.

                        Festival of Near Death Experience

                        On July 29 a bizarre festival will be held in North West Spain, close to
                        the border with Portugal. People who have had near death experiences come
                        together to celebrate their resurrection as part of a bizarre event that
                        one suspects the Catholic Church only tolerates with extreme reluctance,
                        despite a nod to their patron saint of resurrection, Santa Marta De
                        Ribarteme. Those who have had these experiences take part in a procession,
                        carrying or lying in a coffin. The celebration is held in the town of As
                        Neves in Galicia, but other towns in the region, such as Amil, have
                        similar events. Search within the www.tourspain.es site for details, or
                        try Google.

                        Astraea Magazine

                        I have just recorded a major new interview with Astraea Magazine, an
                        exciting new internet magazine devoted to a wide range of esoteric
                        subjects. Experts already featured include Dr Robert Lomas and Michael
                        Cremo, while the subjects range from Egyptology and Black Madonnas to
                        Freemasonry and UFOs. Check out www.astraeamagazine.com for more details.

                        New Jack The Ripper Theory

                        Author Trevor Marriott has a new theory about Jack The Ripper, which he
                        has published in a new book, entitled Jack The Ripper: The 21st Century
                        Investigation. Marriott suggests that the Ripper may have been a sailor,
                        and draws parallels between the London attacks and killings in Nicaragua.
                        He even identifies a cargo vessel on which he believes the Ripper may have
                        served, and attempts to track his movements around the globe, tying them
                        in to brutal murders that fit the modus operandi of the Ripper.

                        Results of Alien Abduction Study

                        Regular readers of this column will recall that I have featured the work
                        of Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths College, University of London, who
                        has recently undertaken a scientific study into the alien abduction
                        phenomenon. I had a meeting with Chris and his team at the outset of the
                        project, discussing methodology, helped promote the study and encouraged
                        abductees I had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and
                        Chris will be giving an overview of the study at a conference to be held
                        at Liverpool Hope University College on Saturday June 4. Check out
                        www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of this talk
                        and other lectures in the Developing Perspectives on Anomalous Experience
                        conference. Other topics covered will include séances, out of body
                        experiences, hauntings and ESP. The full report on the abduction study
                        will be ready shortly after Chris presents his overview on June 4. I will
                        return to this in my column next month.

                        Crop Circles

                        The crops are ripening in the fields, and it will not be long before the
                        debate about crop circles resurfaces, as it does every summer, in England.
                        I await with interest the annual reports, and suspect that they will begin
                        shortly. I suspect that in my column next month, I will have some
                        interesting things to report.

                        UFOs on TV

                        Because of the fact that I used to head the UFO Project run by the British
                        Government, I am frequently approached by television and film production
                        companies, asking me to give interviews, act as consultant or present
                        shows dealing with this subject. I try to help out when I can, although
                        the pressure of other business precludes the time I have for such media
                        projects. What I can say is that there are numerous UFO related media
                        projects which will be appearing on your TV screens shortly.

                        Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                        © Knight International
                        www.knight-intl.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 2, 2005
                          July 2005

                          Weird World
                          NICK POPE

                          http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/July_2005/199.cntns

                          Welcome to the July 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                          abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                          weird and the wonderful.

                          Microsoft, UFOs and Aliens

                          I have been asked to judge a competition being run by Microsoft. MSN
                          Spaces are inviting people to submit a picture (real or fake) of a UFO or
                          alien, and follow the clues to track down the location of a hidden UFO
                          base. Prizes include a holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA
                          Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and the
                          trendy new Qee toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details,
                          or enter the phrase MSN Space Race into Google.

                          Crop Circle Conference 2005

                          On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
                          on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
                          recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
                          speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
                          Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
                          formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
                          details.

                          Glastonbury Symposium 2005

                          The other big crop circle conference is the annual Glastonbury Symposium.
                          This will be held on July 22, 23 and 24 in the Town Hall at Glastonbury,
                          and speakers include Andy Thomas, Robin Heath, John Michell, Marcus Allen
                          and Sir Laurence Gardner. Check out www.glastonburysymposium.co.uk for
                          further details.

                          Crop Circles and The Sun

                          Top UK tabloid The Sun put a crop circle on its front page on June 10.
                          Under the headline Aliens Back Our Bid, the newspaper featured a formation
                          in the shape of the Olympic symbol. The Sun was behind the stunt, and
                          admitted they had commissioned the making of the formation, but it was a
                          timely reminder of the enduring power of crop circle imagery, and the
                          extent to which this is now part of popular culture.

                          The War of the Worlds

                          The must see movie of the summer, The War of the Worlds, is now on general
                          release here in the UK. It remains to be seen whether such a Hollywood
                          blockbuster will

                          Exopolitics

                          Alfred Lambremont Webre has authored a book entitled Exopolitics. His
                          involvement with the study of the UFO phenomenon includes work with the
                          Carter Administration and the prestigious Stanford Research Institute.
                          Exopolitics is a controversial part of ufology, which attempts to define
                          the position of humanity in a Universe populated with other intelligent
                          civilisations. Check out http://www.exopolitics.com/ for details of the
                          subject, and
                          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0973766301/qid=1119385731/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance&s=books
                          for details of the book. Alternatively, key the word Exopolitics into
                          Google or Amazon. Subtitled Politics, Government, and Law in the Universe,
                          this book is bound to be controversial.

                          The Secret History of Lucifer

                          A fascinating book by top paranormal and esoteric author Lynn Picknett
                          threatens to challenge everything you thought you knew about Lucifer.
                          People expecting satanic revelations will be disappointed, because it
                          seems the devil has been much maligned. Lucifer, Lynn suggests, has far
                          more to do with Goddess worship, pagan rituals and enlightenment than
                          anything evil. The subtitle Evil Angel or the Secret of Life Itself well
                          illustrates the debate at the heart of this book. Check out
                          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078671560X/104-8721351-2327150?v=glance
                          for further details of the book, or search for the title on Google. And
                          stand by for fireworks when this controversial book falls into the hands
                          of the fundamentalist, patriarchal Christians that Lynn so despises. A
                          more comprehensive review of this extraordinary, interesting,
                          well-researched and controversial book will appear next month.

                          Alien Abduction Study

                          As mentioned in my column last month, the scientific study into the alien
                          abduction phenomenon carried out by Professor Chris French at Goldsmiths
                          College, University of London, has now been completed. I had a meeting
                          with Chris and his team at the outset of the project, discussing
                          methodology. I also helped promote the study and encouraged abductees I
                          had worked with to take part. The analysis is now complete and Chris gave
                          an overview of the study at a conference held at Liverpool Hope University
                          College on Saturday June 4. Check out
                          http://www.hope.ac.uk/anomalousexperience/programme.htm for details of
                          this talk. The full report on the abduction study will be ready shortly.
                          Chris forwarded me a copy of his paper, but asked me not to post it for
                          now, as this might cause problems with subsequent publication in
                          scientific journals. He did, however, say that I could post a summary of
                          the paper. I am wary of this, as I am not a scientist, but I think I can
                          safely say the following. The study involved 19 abductees (8 male, 11
                          female) and a control group matched by age and gender. The study looked
                          for postulated psychological differences between the two groups, for
                          differences in susceptibility to false memories and for differences in ESP
                          and PK abilities. Significant differences were found in areas such as
                          tendency to hallucinate, absorption and dissociative tendencies. The
                          results were less clear on fantasy-proneness, while no significant
                          differences were found on susceptibility to false memory. Greater
                          incidence of sleep paralysis was found among the abductees, though it was
                          acknowledged that this might be a symptom of, and not an explanation for,
                          alien abduction. The tests on paranormal abilities did not appear to show
                          any significant differences, though there was one apparent difference on
                          the clairvoyance test, which I am attempting to clarify. Once the paper
                          has been published in scientific journals, I will feature a more detailed
                          analysis in this column.

                          Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                          © Knight International
                          www.knight-intl.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 7, 2005
                            August 2005

                            Weird World
                            NICK POPE

                            http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/August_2005/208.cntns

                            Welcome to the August 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                            abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                            weird and the wonderful.

                            MSN Space Race

                            There is still time to enter the UFO competition being run by Microsoft.
                            Have you got a photograph of a UFO? Have you managed to take a picture of
                            an alien? If not, do you think you could fake one good enough to fool the
                            experts? And can you follow the clues to track down the location of a
                            hidden UFO base? I have been asked to judge this competition, as has
                            former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. The prizes include a
                            holiday in Florida with VIP access to the NASA Space Center at Cape
                            Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players and lots of trendy new Qee
                            toys. Check out http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for details, or enter the
                            phrase MSN Space Race into Google. The venture has been widely reported in
                            the national media, but please, do not believe some of the bizarre
                            conspiracy theories circulating on the internet. This is not a ruse on the
                            part of British intelligence to gather information about ufologists, or to
                            amass a collection of UFO photographs previously outside our control. It
                            is a fun competition for UFO witnesses or people with an interest in the
                            subject.

                            War Of The Worlds

                            If you only see one movie this summer, make sure you see this sensational
                            sci-fi blockbuster. Spielberg is back to his best, Cruise is superb and
                            the special effects are ... out of this world. I gave a brief interview
                            about the possibility of a real war of the worlds a sci-fi supplement that
                            appears in the current issue of the film magazine Empire. But please, with
                            all movies like this, see it on the big screen at the cinema. Enjoy!

                            Beagle 2 Inquest

                            The chances of Beagle 2 succeeding on Mars were a million to one, but
                            still ... sorry. Joking aside, the powerful Public Accounts Committee have
                            published a critical report into the much publicised failure of the Beagle
                            2 mission, citing poor risk management, last minute technical changes,
                            over ambitious timescales and funding uncertainties as reasons for the
                            failure.

                            Conspiracies

                            I hope regular readers of this column have caught the new series of
                            Conspiracies. Broadcast on Sky One on Sunday evenings at 9pm, the second
                            series of this show has delved into some intriguing areas, including Waco
                            and the Lockerbie bomb. One of the programmes in the second series will
                            relate to UFOs, so watch this space.

                            Haunted Homes

                            Do you have a ghost in your house? If you do, a new TV series wants to
                            hear from you. If you believe you are living with a paranormal presence
                            and want it investigated, email gemmachapman@... and give
                            the details. A psychic and other paranormal experts are involved with the
                            Haunted Homes TV show, which is a new series being developed for ITV.

                            Crop Circle Conference 2005

                            On August 13, 14 and 15 the Wiltshire Crop Circle Study Group are putting
                            on what promises to be one of the largest crop circle conferences in
                            recent years. The conference will be held at Marlborough College and
                            speakers include Francine Blake, Michael Glickman, John Major Jenkins and
                            Jay Goldner. Helicopter flights over crop circles and sacred dances in
                            formations will also be available. Email wccsg@... for further
                            details.

                            North Wales

                            A new website has been set up concentrating on UFO sightings in North
                            Wales. The area has seen a number of fascinating UFO sightings over the
                            years, and the website covers an interesting mix of UFO and abduction
                            related material, including information on some famous Welsh cases such as
                            the Berwyn Mountain crash, the Broadhaven Triangle, strange activity on
                            Denbigh Moor and the UFO sightings at Great Orme, one of the top ten UFO
                            hotspots in the UK. Check out www.nwalesufos.com for details of this new
                            but fast growing website.

                            Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                            © Knight International
                            www.knight-intl.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 5, 2005
                              September 2005

                              Weird World
                              NICK POPE

                              Welcome to the September 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                              abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                              weird and the wonderful.

                              Metro - 60 Second Interview

                              On 10 August I appeared in Metro, the popular free newspaper read by most
                              London commuters. I was featured in their regular 60 Second Interview
                              slot, and used the opportunity to tell people about my time on the
                              Ministry of Defence UFO Project. I was also pictured on the front cover,
                              which I had not expected. This is a tremendously high-profile feature -
                              other recent interviewees include Norman Cook and Sandra Bullock - so was
                              a wonderful opportunity to promote ufology and the paranormal more
                              generally. Click on http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews/
                              interview.html%3Fin_page_id=8&in_interview_id=1144 to see the interview in
                              its entirety.

                              Forbidden Knowledge

                              One of the biggest esoteric conferences ever held in the UK will be held
                              on Saturday 1 July 2006. Speakers include Alan Alford, Andrew Collins,
                              Michael Cremo, Paul Devereux, Philip Gardiner, Lionel Fanthorpe, Gary
                              Osborn, Karen Ralls and myself. The conference will be held at Kings Hall
                              in Stoke on Trent and is already attracting massive interest from all
                              those interested in forbidden knowledge, Earth mysteries, the paranormal,
                              mysticism, ancient mysteries and other esoteric subjects. On a related
                              subject, a new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
                              Serpent Grail, will be published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing.
                              Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
                              http://www.philipgardiner.net for more details on the book and on
                              http://www.phil.fah-designs.com/forbiddenknews1.pdf for details of the
                              conference.

                              QuestCon05

                              For those of you who are unable to wait to 2006 for a big conference on
                              various esoteric subjects, check out QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew
                              Collins, the event will be held in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers
                              include Andrew Collins, Graham Phillips, Colin Wilson, Philip Gardiner and
                              Gary Osborn. Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
                              conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
                              informative and intriguing conference.

                              Curried Meatballs and Alien Abduction

                              The Ministry of Defence has run a news feature on some of the Freedom of
                              Information requests it has received since the Act came fully into force
                              on 1 January this year. A light-hearted news feature entitled Curried
                              Meatballs and Alien Abductions appeared recently on the MOD website,
                              highlighting the wide range of requests that the MOD has received. Many
                              requests have related to information on UFOs and alien abductions, and the
                              MOD news feature picks out a couple. Click on http://news.mod.uk/
                              news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3474 for details of the story.

                              Ufology is Dead - Again

                              Another local UFO group ran short of sightings, prompting media
                              speculation that ufology is dead. Several national newspapers ran articles
                              on this and I was quoted in The Guardian, commenting on the story. I
                              subsequently discussed this on BBC Radio Scotland and pointed out that
                              stories like this were often the making of the UFO group concerned, as
                              they get publicity which prompts people to send them the very UFO reports
                              they complain are not forthcoming.

                              MSN Space Race

                              The UFO competition run by Microsoft has now closed. Entrants were asked
                              to send in photographs of UFOs or aliens, real or fake, and to follow a
                              series of clues to guess the location of a secret base where UFOs were
                              being kept. The prizes included a holiday in Florida with VIP access to
                              the NASA Space Center at Cape Canaveral, a digital camcorder, MP3 players
                              and lots of trendy Qee key rings. I was asked to judge this competition,
                              along with former Ministry of Defence scientist Peter Varnish. There was a
                              fair bit of coverage of this competition in the media, but provoked quite
                              a negative reaction on various discussion groups and blogs. The apparent
                              coming together of Microsoft, NASA and the MOD in a UFO-related venture
                              made many conspiracy theorists suspicious. There were rumours that the
                              competition was aimed at gathering information about ufologists, or
                              amassing a collection of genuine UFO photographs that had not previously
                              been seen by officialdom. There were accusations that the whole
                              competition was a disinformation project aimed at undermining ufology by
                              blurring the line between fact and fiction, and some people even went so
                              far as to encourage people to complain to Microsoft. In fact, the whole
                              thing was a fun idea, and when we came to the judging, Peter and I
                              assessed the entries not just for realism but for creativity, originality
                              and humour. Check out the MSN Space Race website at
                              http://www.msnspacerace.co.uk/ for a look at the winning entries and the
                              runners-up.

                              Crop Circle Formations of 2005

                              There may not have been much in the newspapers, but the crop circle
                              phenomenon is still very much with us. The summer of 2005 has seen some
                              beautiful formations appearing in the fields of England. Whether you
                              believe crop circles are made by people, Earth energies or
                              extraterrestrials, they are undeniably fascinating. Click on
                              http://www.cropcircleconnector.com/2005/2005.html or
                              http://www.temporarytemples.co.uk/2005/ for details of 2005 formations.

                              Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                              © Knight International
                              www.knight-intl.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 4, 2005
                                October 2005

                                Weird World
                                NICK POPE

                                http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/October_2005/226.cntns

                                Welcome to the October 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                weird and the wonderful.

                                The Science of Aliens

                                The Science Museum is not the sort of place you would normally expect to
                                find an exhibition and debate about UFOs, and yet that is exactly what is
                                happening. The Science Museum is running a major new exhibition called The
                                Science of Aliens, looking at UFOs, alien abductions and the most profound
                                question of the modern era - are we alone in the Universe? To complement
                                the exhibition, the Science Museum is running three debates at their new
                                Dana Centre site. I shall be taking part in one of these. Tickets are free
                                but must be pre-booked. Check out http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/
                                for details of the exhibition http://www.danacentre.org.uk/ for details of
                                the Dana Centre or http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/corporate_commercial/
                                press/ShowPressRelease.asp?Show=336 for information about the debates.

                                Astraea Magazine & Web Radio

                                An absolutely fascinating series of interviews on a wide range of
                                paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects can be accessed via Astraea
                                Magazine & Web Radio. Subjects covered range from Freemasonry to Jack the
                                Ripper, while I give one of the most wide-ranging interviews I have given
                                in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project. Check out
                                http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
                                http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

                                Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the UFO Phenomenon

                                A controversial new book (or rather, an English language translation of a
                                classic Portuguese book) suggests that the mysterious Fatima incident in
                                1917 may have involved UFOs and not a manifestation of the Blessed Virgin
                                Mary, as some believe. Heavenly Lights: The Apparitions of Fatima and the
                                UFO Phenomenon is written by Portuguese academics Joaquim Fernandes and
                                Fina d' Armada, and has a foreword by Jacques Vallee. Intriguing and
                                provocative. Check out www.eccenova.com and follow the links to the media
                                kit for more details, or check out the usual online book sites.

                                The Serpent Grail

                                A fascinating new book by Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn, entitled The
                                Serpent Grail, was published on 15 September by Watkins Publishing and is
                                generating a lot of excitement among those with an interest in forbidden
                                knowledge and ancient mysteries. The book looks at stories of the Holy
                                Grail, the Philosopher's Stone and the Elixir of Life, and links these
                                concepts with shamanism and enlightenment. Running through all this and
                                providing, the authors believe, the key to unlocking numerous mysteries,
                                is serpent mythology. This is a well-researched, well-written and
                                thought-provoking book. Click on the official Philip Gardiner website at
                                http://www.philipgardiner.net/ for more details, or check out the usual
                                online book sites.

                                QuestCon05

                                Still on the subject of esoteric knowledge, there are still some tickets
                                left for QuestCon05. Organised by Andrew Collins, the event will be held
                                in London on Saturday 5 November. Speakers include Andrew Collins, Graham
                                Phillips, Colin Wilson, Jeremy Narby, Philip Gardiner and Gary Osborn.
                                Click on http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/
                                conference/conferencenews.htm for more details of what promises to be an
                                informative and intriguing conference.

                                An American Demonology

                                Coming soon, from the self-styled bad man of ufology, possibly one of the
                                most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves for some time. An
                                American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward Ruppelt, a United
                                States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the US Government UFO
                                Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on Unidentified Flying
                                Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever written. Bennett delves
                                into the work and the mindset of this extraordinary character, and in
                                doing so says much about UFOs, ufology, and America in the Fifties. Jerome
                                Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the introduction. Bennett is an
                                experienced biographer whose previous subjects have been Charles Fort and
                                George Adamski. More on An American Demonology soon.

                                Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                © Knight International
                                www.knight-intl.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 4, 2005
                                  November 2005

                                  Weird World
                                  NICK POPE

                                  http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/November_2005/235.cntns

                                  Welcome to the November 2005 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                  abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                  weird and the wonderful.

                                  Italian UFO Conference

                                  I have recently returned from Italy where I spoke at a UFO conference held
                                  at the University of Calabria. Organised by highly respected Italian
                                  ufologist Roberto Pinotti, the conference was an interesting mix of SETI,
                                  ufology and exopolitics. Accordingly, speakers ranged from Alexander
                                  Zaitsev and Claudio Maccone through to Monsignor Corrado Balducci and
                                  Michael Salla. For me, it was a nice opportunity to catch up with old
                                  friends such as Budd Hopkins and Roger Leir, among others.

                                  Threshold

                                  Threshold is an exciting new sci-fi show that is getting a lot of people
                                  talking. The lead character is a worst-case scenario planner, paid to
                                  think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the atmosphere
                                  and encounters a trawler, she puts together a mixed team of experts and
                                  investigates. With the crew either dead or missing, and with strange
                                  events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. Watch out for more
                                  about this exciting new series, already running on CBS in America, and
                                  airing on Sky One in the UK, from November.

                                  The Real 4400

                                  The 4400 is another UFO-related sci-fi series still running and still
                                  attracting a lot of interest and comment, with its story of 4400 abductees
                                  who are returned to Earth with strange powers. The Real 4400 is a
                                  documentary I was involved in, focusing on the alien abduction mystery. It
                                  aired on Sky One on October 19, but is being repeated. The 4400 itself
                                  continues to run on the USA network in America and on Sky One in the UK.

                                  The Science of Aliens

                                  A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                                  Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                                  SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                                  some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                                  http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                                  took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                                  other work to help promote the exhibition. This is a welcome opportunity to

                                  Nick Pope Interview Online

                                  I gave one of the most extensive and wide-ranging interviews I have given
                                  in recent years on the Ministry of Defence UFO Project to Astraea Magazine
                                  & Web Radio. This forms part of a growing archive of interviews on a wide
                                  range of paranormal, mysterious and esoteric subjects, ranging from UFOs
                                  and Freemasonry through to Jack the Ripper. Check out
                                  http://www.astraeamagazine.com/radio.php for details of the interviews and
                                  http://www.astraeamagazine.com/ for details of the magazine.

                                  Laughlin UFO Conference

                                  The 15th Annual International UFO Congress will be held in Laughlin,
                                  Nevada, from February 26 - March 4, 2006. This really is the biggest UFO
                                  conference in the world, and speakers include Jim Marrs, Dolores Cannon,
                                  William Hamilton, Donald Ware and many more besides. Check out
                                  www.ufocongress.com for the details.

                                  UFO Conference in Hawaii

                                  One of the most beautiful and exotic locations in the world will play host
                                  to a UFO conference next year. Organised by Michael Salla, the event will
                                  focus on exopolitics and will feature speakers such as Alfred Webre, Paola
                                  Harris and Salla himself. The conference lasts from June 9 - 11, 2006.
                                  Check out www.exopoliticsinstitute.org for the details.

                                  Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                  © Knight International
                                  www.knight-intl.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 2, 2005
                                    December 2005 - January 2006

                                    Weird World
                                    NICK POPE

                                    http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/December_2005_-_January_2006/243.cntns

                                    Welcome to the joint December 2005 and January 2006 round up of news and
                                    views on UFOs, alien abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the
                                    unexplained, the weird and the wonderful.

                                    Rendlesham Forest UFO Incident - 25th Anniversary

                                    Christmas and the New Year sees the 25th anniversary of the Rendlesham
                                    Forest UFO incident and the subsequent official investigation. This is the
                                    most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken place in Britain and has
                                    generated a massive amount of interest not just from UFO researchers but
                                    from the media and the public. There are several books on the incident,
                                    the best known of which is You Can't Tell The People, authored by Hot
                                    Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The title reflects a conversation
                                    Georgina had with former PM Baroness Thatcher at a charity function in
                                    1997, when they were discussing UFOs. Baroness Thatcher said "you can't
                                    tell the people" in response to a question Georgina posed about UFOs, but
                                    refused to elaborate on her cryptic remark. Various events are planned to
                                    mark the 25th anniversary, including a vigil and skywatch at RAF
                                    Bentwaters, a commemorative event organised by the Forestry Commission,
                                    and various media features.

                                    Daily Express Rendlesham Article

                                    On Saturday November 19 the Daily Express carried a major, double page
                                    feature on the Rendlesham Forest incident. I was pleased about this, not
                                    least because I wrote it. The paper had commissioned the 2000 word article
                                    from me the week before and was therefore the first newspaper to run the
                                    story in the run up to the anniversary. UFO researchers often complain
                                    that the media misrepresent ufology or take their comments out of context.
                                    Obtaining a commission gets around these problems and the only changes to
                                    my article were minor editorial ones. I am pleased to have been able to
                                    play a part in kick starting the media interest in the anniversary. The
                                    article has generated much wider interest and Georgina Bruni and I have
                                    already conducted a live interview on BBC Radio Suffolk. December and
                                    January will see further media features on this intriguing case.

                                    The Material World

                                    The prestigious BBC Radio 4 science programme The Material World recently
                                    ran a feature on the alien abduction phenomenon, with Professor Chris
                                    French and I debating the subject with presenter Quentin Cooper. Needless
                                    to say, it is a major coup to get the subject discussed on such a
                                    mainstream programme. Click on http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/
                                    science/thematerialworld_20051103.shtml to listen to the show.

                                    California Lecture Tour

                                    I have just returned from a brief lecture tour in California, where I gave
                                    talks in Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego. I had a hectic schedule
                                    but very much welcomed the chance to promote British ufology to American
                                    audiences, meet some old friends and meet some new ones. Click on
                                    www.mufonla.com/videoorder.htm for details of how to order the 2 hour DVD
                                    of my lecture, which was entitled The Real X-Files: The Inside Story of
                                    the British Government's UFO Project.

                                    Sopranos

                                    I do not normally do restaurant reviews, and this is more by way of a
                                    thank you. During my recent lecture tour in California I arrived quite
                                    late at my hotel in Costa Mesa. I looked around the neighbourhood, but
                                    there was only one restaurant within walking distance. I went in and
                                    ordered a beer. It had been a long day and I was still recovering from my
                                    ten hour flight to Los Angeles. Unfortunately, the kitchen had closed and
                                    the staff were clearing up. I was resigning myself to the situation when
                                    the manager realised that I had been travelling all day and had come from
                                    the UK. Five minutes later, a delicious and piping hot plate of spaghetti
                                    and meatballs appeared, while the manager stayed on after hours, until I
                                    finished. So thank you Sopranos, for your great food and hospitality.
                                    Check www.sopranoseatery.com for details. As I arrived, two regulars were
                                    leaving. They said the food was fantastic and I should eat there again. I
                                    am only sorry that, because of my schedule, I never got the chance.

                                    Threshold

                                    Threshold is an exciting new science fiction show that is getting a lot of
                                    people talking. It is running on CBS in America and on Sky One in the UK.
                                    The lead character is Molly Caffrey, a worst-case scenario planner, paid
                                    to think the unthinkable. When an unidentified object enters the
                                    atmosphere and encounters a trawler, the woman who wrote the contingency
                                    plan is tasked by the US Government with running the operation to deal
                                    with the situation. She puts together a mixed team of experts and
                                    investigates. With the trawler crew either dead or missing and with
                                    strange events occurring on the mainland, time is running out. The media
                                    in the UK have drawn parallels between Molly Caffrey and me and I have
                                    given a number of interviews based around the question, what would we do
                                    if aliens really invaded? The media wanted to know about the real
                                    worst-case scenario planner thought of the series, and what my plan was. I
                                    helped in so far as I could, though I was reluctant to go into too many
                                    details.

                                    The Science of Aliens

                                    A new exhibition called The Science of Aliens has recently opened at the
                                    Science Museum. The exhibition covers a wide range of areas, including
                                    SETI and speculation as the what alien life might be like, but includes
                                    some material about UFOs and alien abductions. Check out
                                    http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/aliens/ for details of the exhibition. I
                                    took part in a debate organised as part of this event and am doing some
                                    other work to help promote the exhibition.

                                    An American Demonology

                                    Now published and written by the self-styled bad man of ufology comes
                                    possibly one of the most important UFO books to have hit the bookshelves
                                    for some time. An American Demonology is a biography of Captain Edward
                                    Ruppelt, a United States Air Force officer who ran Project Blue Book, the
                                    US Government UFO Project. Ruppelt went on to write The Report on
                                    Unidentified Flying Objects, arguably the most important UFO book ever
                                    written. Bennett delves into the work and the mindset of this
                                    extraordinary character and in doing so says much about UFOs, ufology and
                                    America in the Fifties. Jerome Clark wrote the foreword and I wrote the
                                    introduction. Bennett is an experienced biographer whose previous subjects
                                    have been Charles Fort and George Adamski. Check out Amazon and all the
                                    other usual book sites for details of how to order.

                                    Crop Circle Sale

                                    Crop circle researcher Colin Andrews is selling his extensive database and
                                    archive, covering 22 years of research into the crop circle mystery. The
                                    collection is up for sale on eBay. This has itself generated much debate
                                    among crop circle researchers and ufologists, and an article in the
                                    Western Daily Press, to which Colin Andrews took great exception. Check
                                    out www.cropcircleinfo.com for details of the auction.

                                    Seasons Greetings

                                    Finally, I would like to wish all my readers a Merry Christmas and a Happy
                                    New Year. In particular, my thoughts are with the brave men and women
                                    currently serving with British, American and other allied Forces in Iraq,

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 13, 2006
                                      February 2006

                                      Weird World
                                      NICK POPE

                                      http://www.hotgossip.co.uk/February_2006/252.cntns

                                      Welcome to the February 2006 round up of news and views on UFOs, alien
                                      abductions, crop circles, ghosts, the paranormal, the unexplained, the
                                      weird and the wonderful.

                                      The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case

                                      There was extensive media coverage of the 25th anniversary of the
                                      Rendlesham Forest UFO incident, which occurred over the Christmas period
                                      in 1980. This is the most compelling UFO encounter ever to have taken
                                      place in Britain and has generated a massive amount of interest not just
                                      from UFO researchers but from the media and the public. There are several
                                      books on the incident, the best known of which is You Can't Tell The
                                      People, authored by Hot Gossip Editor in Chief Georgina Bruni. The 25th
                                      anniversary media coverage included a two page article that I was
                                      commissioned to write for the Daily Express, a major feature in The Sun,
                                      national radio features on BBC Radio Five Live and Talk Sport, and a whole
                                      host of other regional newspaper and radio coverage. I also did an outside
                                      broadcast live from the forest for the new Channel 4 breakfast show,
                                      Morning Glory.

                                      Left At East Gate

                                      The other well known book on the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident is Left at
                                      East Gate, co-authored by Larry Warren and Peter Robbins. This book has
                                      recently been updated and republished by Cosimo-on-Demand. Order through
                                      Amazon or all the other usual sites for books, making sure that you get
                                      hold of the new, updated version. Peter Robbins spent much of December in
                                      the UK and gave a number of lectures about the Rendlesham Forest incident
                                      to UFO groups around the country, and spent the 25th anniversary itself in
                                      the forest with Larry Warren and die-hard UFO enthusiasts who braved
                                      sub-zero temperatures to mark the event.

                                      Kittie Klaw

                                      I recently met up with one of the most extraordinary paranormal
                                      investigators in the UK, the multi-talented Kittie Klaw. As well as being
                                      an expert on all matters paranormal and psychic, Kittie is involved in a
                                      wide range of dancing, acting and modelling. One of her ventures is the
                                      Ministry of Burlesque, currently launching Battle of Burlesque - a sort of
                                      Search for a Star for the world of glamorous cabaret performers. Check out
                                      www.ministryofburlesque.com for the details of this series of events and
                                      check out www.kittieklaw.com for more information about this
                                      extraordinarily talented performer. Kittie and I decided that a little
                                      collaboration would be in order, on various projects, so watch this space.
                                      Ministry of Defence meets Ministry of Burlesque. Interesting.

                                      Britain's Roswell

                                      OK, this is yet another story about the Rendlesham Forest UFO incident,
                                      but I make no apologies, because this has been a massive story here in the
                                      UK over recent weeks. There are numerous documentaries on the subject,
                                      including the Sci-Fi Channel show UFO Invasion at Rendlesham. Now The
                                      History Channel have a new show on the incident, featuring Charles Halt,
                                      James Penniston, John Burroughs, Georgina Bruni, Peter Robbins, Larry
                                      Warren and myself, among others. The documentary was shown first last
                                      month, but has been repeated several times. Check your TV schedules for
                                      details.

                                      Dana Centre

                                      The Dana Centre at the Science Museum are holding another event that will
                                      cover UFOs and aliens. Taking place from 6pm through to 11pm on Friday 17
                                      February, the event is free, but booking is essential. The Dana Centre is
                                      all about making science fun and making people think about contemporary
                                      scientific issues. This is the third of these Science Museum events in
                                      which I have participated and I welcome the fact that they are prepared
                                      increasingly to look at featuring discussions, debates and events on alien
                                      life, UFOs and abductions. It is a welcome sign that such subjects are
                                      becoming more mainstream. At the last such event, the TV cameras turned up
                                      and I appeared live on London Tonight, so watch this space. Check out
                                      www.danacentre.org.uk for details out the event and www.danacentre.org.uk
                                      for details of the Dana Centre and some of their other events.

                                      The World's Strangest UFO Stories

                                      A new series looking at UFOs has started on the Discovery Channel here in
                                      the UK. The World's Strangest UFO Stories started on 15 January and will
                                      run for several weeks on Sunday evenings, at 10pm, examining various weird
                                      and wonderful UFO incidents. Stories featured include the incredible
                                      claims of jazz singer Pamela Stonebrook, who says that she has had sex
                                      with a six foot tall reptilian extraterrestrial. Check TV listings for the
                                      Discovery Channel series, and www.intergalacticdiva.com for information
                                      about Pamela Stonebrook.

                                      Off The Page

                                      I recently recorded an edition of the prestigious BBC Radio 4 show, Off
                                      The Page, where I debated the question 'Are We Alone?'. The programme airs
                                      on Friday nights at 11pm and my show will probably be played on Friday 3
                                      February. Yet another example of discussions about UFOs getting an
                                      increasingly mainstream and Establishment audience.

                                      Invasion

                                      Mainstream television interest in all things alien continues with Channel
                                      4 showing the new US cult sci-fi series Invasion. The series begins with a
                                      hurricane in Florida, strange lights in the sky, and the mysterious
                                      involvement of the United States Air Force. As the series unfolds,
                                      weirdness and paranoia increase, as the small community of Homestead
                                      struggles to rebuild itself. But is Homestead the only place in danger, or
                                      is the entire human race in peril?

                                      Phenomena Magazine

                                      For anyone with an interest in UFOs, the unexplained, the paranormal, the
                                      mysterious and the esoteric, Phenomena Magazine is well worth your time.
                                      Updated daily by the prolific editor Robin Crookshank-Hilton, the site is
                                      packed full of interesting news stories, in depth features and interviews.
                                      Check http://phenomena.cinescape.com for the magazine, and
                                      http://phenomena.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp (or search for my name once
                                      in the site) for probably the lengthiest interview I have given in recent
                                      years.

                                      Nick Pope has a website, which can be accessed at www.nickpope.net

                                      © Knight International
                                      www.knight-intl.com