'aveterra.com' launches UFO virtual zone with leading experts

  • Stig Agermose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 1999
      Source: Press release from "avaterra.com",

      http://www.worldsaway.com/press/july99press.html#july22

      Stig

      ***

      AVATERRA.COM LAUNCHES SCI-FI VIRTUAL ZONE

      First Element Launches Today in Cooperation with TriWay Promotions

      **

      SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 22, 1999 -- The success of television shows like
      the X-Files points to our insatiable appetite for information about UFOs.
      Capitalizing on this interest, Avaterra.com, Inc. (AVAR-OTC/BB), a provider
      of avatar-based technologies and services for the next generation of
      Internet communities, launched today its latest VirtualZone called VZscifi
      -- an online community of UFO experts and enthusiasts at
      www.avaterra.com/VZscifi. The Zone will kick off with a virtual area called
      UFOchat, produced in cooperation with TriWay Promotions of Los Angeles,
      which opens today at 6:00 p.m. PST.

      VZscifi will feature a range of Sci-Fi, UFO and fantasy content, with
      UFOchat focused on top UFO researchers, renowned authors, military
      personnel and lecturers coming together to conduct online lectures,
      workshops, seminars and interactive sharing of research and knowledge in
      real time. All of these activities are happening within Avaterra.com's
      graphically rich VirtualZones, where visitors are represented on-screen as
      avatars -- or customized graphical representations of themselves -- and can
      see, talk and interact with other visitors.

      "This launch marks another milestone in our strategy to build commercially
      sponsored, targeted Internet communities based on our VirtualZone concept,"
      said David Andrews, president and CEO of Avaterra.com. "UFOs and the
      paranormal are popular topics on the Internet, so we expect to generate
      tremendous traffic to our new VZscifi zone."

      Marcia Pellitteri, CEO of TriWay Promotions, is credited with booking the
      leading UFO experts who will be conducting daily chats and events.
      Participants include Jim Hickman of SkyWatch International, Derrel Sims,
      CM.Ht., R.H.A., former intelligence staff for the C.I.A., popular author
      Dr. Roger Leir, retired Air Force Major George Filer, John Carpenter, Joyce
      Murphy and many others.

      "We're providing a place where people from all over the world can access
      the latest research information about UFOs," explained Pellitteri. "And by
      hosting this community inside Avaterra.com's avatar-inhabited environment
      on the Internet, we're able to have people interact in real time with
      knowledgeable speakers and participate in interactive workshops with
      leading researchers and celebrities in the UFO field."

      About Avaterra.com, Inc.

      Avaterra.com was formed in May 1999, when it acquired core technologies
      from Fujitsu's WorldsAway Products and Services Group, in order to develop
      its VirtualZone business model. The company builds VirtualZone communities
      on the Internet where consumers interact, play, shop, educate and socialize
      within a graphical environment where they and other visitors are
      represented as avatars (customized graphical representations of
      themselves). VirtualZones are built around specific topics to attracted
      targeted audiences, and they are commercially sponsored by brand
      advertisers. Avaterra.com's two showcase VirtualZones have been online for
      more than three years and include members from around the world, meeting 24
      hours a day.

      Avaterra.com provides superior community-building technology with features
      like customizable graphics, high subscriber involvement, a working economy
      based on tokens, several patent-pending tools for social order and
      management, and one of the highest "stickiness" factors on the web (with an
      average session length of 3.5 hours). The company derives revenue from its
      unique advertising venues, fee-based membership, custom virtual community
      development and software co-licensing.

      Avaterra.com is publicly traded on the OTC Bulletin Board under ticker
      symbol AVAR. For more investor information, please call 1-888-845-5853 or
      e-mail ir@..., or visit the company web site at
      http://www.avaterra.com

      In keeping with U.S. law, Avaterra.com, Inc. notes that this press release
      includes forward-looking statements. Actual results may vary significantly
      due to various risks and uncertainties. Those include, but are not limited
      to, the risk that new technologies are inherently subject to development,
      timing and consumer acceptance risks.

      All trademarks, trade names, registered trademarks, or registered trade
      names are property of their respective holders.
      CONTACT:
      Mark X. Addison
      Avaterra.com, Inc.
      maddison@...