UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 18

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2004
      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 9, Number 18
      May 5, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/
      E-mail: Masinaigan@...

      CHUPACABRAS GO ON A
      RAMPAGE IN CHILE

      "A family in Collipulli," a small town 150 kilometers
      (90 miles) southeast of Concepcion, Chile, "is going
      through hard times after having discovered the remains of
      12 hens kept locked in a henhouse beside their house."
      "'This looks abnormal,' said Orlando Coronado, still
      painfully disturbed by the macabre spectacle that revealed
      itself before his eyes yesterday morning (Monday, April
      25, 2004) and which affected his household located at
      Calle Agromedo 807 (street) in this city."
      "'I don't understand what happened. I opened the
      chicken coop like I do every day to feed my birds, and I'm
      faced with this. All of them were dead. Some were
      headless; others were missing their legs, and the
      strangest thing is that there wasn't a drop of blood. I
      really don't understand how they were slain, or exactly
      what happened.'"
      "There are two fierce dogs in the Coronado backyard,
      but neither of them barked. As for himself and his
      family, they heard nothing, in spite of the fact that the
      master bedroom isn't far from the henhouse."
      "'We heard no sound at all. Nothing.'"
      "'I keep my hens under lock and key every evening, so
      there's no explanation. We don't know what happened, and
      we don't understand it,' he said, showing the dozen or so
      dead and exsanguinated birds."
      "The event caused a stir among Collipulli's
      inhabitants. Word spread immediately that a 'Chupacabra'
      attack had taken place, attributing the event to the
      legendary contemporary character to whom hundreds of
      poultry attacks throughout Latin America have been
      blamed."
      "A less sensational explanation involves a mink, a
      foreign species that has caused serious losses to
      residents of the north Aysen region after having been
      introduced there a few years ago."
      Elsewhere, "a new series of animal slayings occurred
      in Tocopila," a port city in northern Chile just south of
      the border with Peru, "reviving old fears about the
      existence of a pitiless creature that attacks without
      leaving a trace or explanation as to how the deaths
      occur."
      "Yesterday (Tuesday, March 9, 2004) in the Tres
      Marias section of town, north of the port area, the
      Chupacabra legend was brought up in the small household of
      Eduardo Covarrubias, when 32 farm birds were found dead.
      Their bodies were scattered within the henhouse, which
      showed no signs of forced entry by trespassers or other
      animals from the region."
      "Covarrubias made the macabre find when he went to
      feed his animals, as he does every day, coming across the
      unpleasant scene of the lifeless hens."
      "The (Chilean) police were immediately informed.
      Alarmed by the violent animal slayings, law enforcement
      reached the site swiftly. Carabineros (Chilean national
      police--J.T.) cordoned off the area to avoid losing
      evidence, while bloodhounds aided in collecting the final
      bits that would explain the strange event. However, area
      residents blame the legendary Chupacabra, who has returned
      to trouble their nightmares, a belief substantiated by the
      manner in which the deaths occurred."
      "It was possible to ascertain that the birds showed a
      single orifice (wound) on the base of their necks, being
      almost the same depth" among all of the hens.
      "Furthermore, it was not possible to find vast amounts of
      blood on the ground despite the magnitude of the
      killings."
      "Add to this the deaths of only two roosters, who
      were beheaded during the attack."
      "Covarrubias was shaken by the attack, which
      represented" a personal loss of 300,000 Chilean pesos.
      "Research personnel conducted a thorough investigation at
      the site, taking some of the dead hens with them for more
      detailed tests."
      Another Chupacabra attack was reported in Ancud, in
      the far south, about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) south of
      Santiago de Chile, the national capital.
      "Arturo Strange is adamant. He insists that it is
      not common for a dog attack to result in all of the prey
      bunched up, as he has seen inside his henhouse--one
      chicken piled on top of another."
      "Furthermore, he maintains that 'there is a hole in
      the back through which the creature came in. As far as I
      know, dogs don't dig and travel underground.'"
      "A henhouse suffered a bloody attack, and 25 hens
      were the victims. The owner of the birds is a long-time
      resident of the barrio Pudeto Alto (neighborhood) in
      Ancud, a region where the urban borders the rural."
      "No one can disabuse Strange of the notion that the
      animal that killed his birds is a strange beast--the
      Chupacabra. He is so convinced of this that, despite
      having lost all his birds, he has summoned a veterianrian
      to undertake an analysis."
      "In what is now known as 'the Ancud case,' it is
      possible to believe that the Chupacabra was actually
      involved. Veterinarian Andres Norambuena visited the
      scene of the attack at 1 p.m. at Calle Pudeto 772
      (street). Without discarding any speculation, the
      professional has ventured with some certainty that a dog
      could be involved. But Strange is unconvinced, since he
      insists that 'the only dog I had barking yesterday was my
      own. The hens didn't make a sound. They were nice and
      quiet.'"
      "Strange's belief has been corroborated by local
      residents particularly on the Calle Las Americas (street)
      where two residents witnessed an unknown animal. The
      creature was described as having 'an elongated body,
      pointy head, slanted eyes and stands on two legs...I only
      saw it for a few seconds,' says Jacqueline Cordero, one of
      the locals, who only six months ago saw an unidentified
      creature that she believes claimed the lives of six
      chickens." (See the Chilean newspapers El Diario de
      Araucania for April 25, 2004, "More mutilated animals,"
      and La Estrella del Loa for March 10, 2004, "Strange
      animal deaths." Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales, Liliana
      Nunez y Marco Reynoso para estos articulos de diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: And welcome to South American Monster
      Mash Week here at UFO Roundup. The monsters are running
      wild in South America. Maybe they heard that Van Helsing
      will be released next week.)

      EL UNYUDO CAUSES A PANIC
      IN WESTERN ARGENTINA

      El Unyudo (Spanish for The Clawed One--J.T.) is South
      America's newest monster. He made his debut in San Luis
      province, in western Argentina, a few weeks ago.
      "Local residents, police and community protection
      brigades went in search of the elusive creature, but it
      managed to escape yet again."
      "First it was a source of amusement, and very few
      paid it any attention. But the fact is, since Wednesday
      night," April 7, 2004, "El Unyudo went on to become the
      main topic of conversation in Justo Daract," a small town
      in San Luis province, located about 560 kilometers (350
      miles) west of Buenos Aires, the national capital.
      "As reported by this newspaper, the strange creature
      drew attention when it appeared before some young women
      who work for the Community Safety Watch; one of them
      fainted."
      "In any event, the most serious episode involving the
      creature occurred on Wednesday night when a child heading
      home from doing some errands was startled by it."
      "According to the information collected, the 11-year-
      old boy was returning home when on the darkened corner of
      Calle Liniers and Calle Los Andes (streets) in Justo
      Daract's barrio Norte (neighborhood), he felt something
      tap him on the back. Upon turning around, he saw
      something or someone who frightened him considerably.
      Terrified, the boy ran home screaming, alerting neighbors
      to the situation. They immediately came out of their
      houses to find out what the commotion was about."
      "While residents of the sector, north of the train
      station, started their search, elements of the 18th
      District Sheriff's Department combed the area, as well,
      without positive results."
      "Journalist Maura Avila of radio station RJD-1
      reached the scene to conduct interviews as the search
      continued. She told (the newspaper) El Diario de la
      Republica the following: 'I was informed that there was a
      great deal of movement in Barrio Norte, near the hospital,
      and we headed there just as the police arrived. We heard
      that El Unyudo had appeared--a character who has gained
      notoriety in Justo Daract because he has been appearing
      for several days now, and he terrified an 11-year-old on
      the corner of Liniers and Los Andes.'"
      "'Those who claim having seen El Unyudo say that it
      doesn't have human form, rather an animal one, adding that
      it walks on four legs and hops, being capable of very
      swift movements.'"
      "The search, conducted by residents, volunteers and
      community watch workers, concentrated around the railroad
      tracks, since 'some claimed having seen it climb to the
      very top of the grain silos found there. Some even
      climbed them but found nothing abnormal. They also
      searched nearby wells without any results. It managed to
      escape once again.'"
      "Regarding the child, the journalist confirmed that
      'he was taken to the hospital to see if he had experienced
      any injuries, but it was clear that he had only suffered a
      good fright.'"
      "Beyond the remarks and questions regarding the
      phenomenon, Maura Avila stated: 'Personally, I've seen
      nothing at all, and I think there isn't much relating to
      it, and a good deal of psychosis. It is time that much is
      being said about the character in Justo Daract, especially
      among the kids, but it could be a case of mass hysteria.'"
      "She added that El Unyudo isn't the only weirdo being
      spoken about in town: 'There have been other cases and not
      only featuring this entity, and they always take place in
      poorly lit locations. For example, a naked man is
      believed to appear in certain areas, as well.'"
      "Avila finally added that 'it is worth noting the
      time at which these events take place, that is to say,
      Easter Week. In this regard, there are those who speak of
      the existence of black magic cults that could be involved
      in these events.'"
      "A resident of Barrio Norte told the Panorama
      Informativo radio show, hosted by Maura Avila, that what
      happened was 'a little boy was frightened and the
      neighbors, especially the men, ran everywhere and couldn't
      catch it, although many saw it. The lad was taken to the
      hospital, as the entire neighborhood was alarmed, since
      this character, whom I believe is known as El Unyudo, had
      already appeared in this area twice before.'"
      "The woman added that 'there is very little light in
      the neighborhood, so let's hope the (municipal) commission
      can do something because you can't see a thing at night.
      But there is a great deal of concern now because it's not
      normal. It's not a game any more, and an end must be
      found to the situation.'"
      "Many sources claimed that several police officers
      were able to reach the mysterious intruder on Wednesday
      night, and were able to trap it, but, in a display of
      tremendous strength, and because of its slippery body, it
      was able to slip away and escape with prodigious leaps and
      bounds."
      "Sheriff Miguel Miranda of District 18 rejected such
      stories, stating that 'it's true that there was running
      about a person dressed in black, but officially we have
      nothing--no reports making reference to such an event. In
      any case, we have increased our patrols as a preventive
      measure.'"
      "The police officer acknowledged having heard remarks
      that the creature 'walks on four legs and hops like a
      kangaroo, but there is no evidence to corroborate such
      statements.'"
      "While some alleged witnesses describe it as a
      mystical, almost ethereal animal, others have described it
      as a tall man, dressed in black and caped, covering his
      face with a mask and using gloves equipped with long,
      seemingly metallic claws, a detail which earned him the
      name 'the Clawed One.'"
      "His latest apparition leads to the belief that it's
      a person disguised with the purpose of frightening the
      population. Added to this is the fact that the children
      and teenagers of Justo Daract are fond of X-Men cartoons,
      whose participants are mutants. One of them--Wolverine--
      has metallic claws as his main weapon for fighting crime."
      "On the other hand, the exploits of this mysterious
      creature are reminiscent of those who aroused popular
      curiosity at this time. Last year (2003), and on the same
      date, there was talk of El Cuervo (Spanish for The Crow--
      J.T.), a being described as similar to the bird in
      question; while in 2002, several locals claimed having
      seen two individuals in white robes; and others recalled
      another character whose brief fame earned him the nickname
      El Encapuchado Verde (Spanish for The Green Hood--J.T.)
      until he was identified as a mentally impaired
      individual."
      (Editor's Comment: The Crow!? The Green Hood!? What is
      this--the Justice League of Argentina!?)
      "Padre Fabian, (Roman Catholic) parish priest in
      Justo Daract, dismisses the phenomenon, saying that 'there
      are only three things to be said. First, there isn't
      enough street lighting in Justo Daract. Therefore, at
      night, one sees not only clawed ones, but also dinosaurs,
      sea serpents and other things, especially when there's a
      psychosis afoot. Second, if a prankster is involved, he
      will be apprehended at any time by the authorities, since
      the police force is on alert. Finally, if it is a
      supernatural force, it would evidently be some game of the
      Devil to confound people, since at this time of year their
      attention should be fixed on Christ. Of course, you can
      add the psychological element to all of this, especially
      in small towns and cities.'" (See the Argentinian
      newspaper El Diario de la Republica for April 10, 2004,
      "Concern in Justo Daract." Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales, Mario Luis Bracamonte y Carlos Iurchuk para esto
      articulo de diario.)

      EL LOBIZON FRIGHTENS MANY
      IN SAENZ PENA, ARGENTINA

      "'I saw it...I saw it...it was so huge! I don't
      believe in such things, but others at the 10 service
      (petrol in UK--J.T.) station also saw it. It was a
      lobizon,' said Francisco, a young man who yesterday
      evening (Saturday, February 21, 2004) was driving along
      the Calle Belgrano (street) in his small Fiat Spazio, when
      suddenly, 'a dog the size of a calf crossed my path and
      uttered a very ugly cry. I pulled over because I was
      really scared,' he told a local radio station" in Saenz
      Pena, a large city in Argentina.
      (Editor's Note: The Lobizon is Argentina's version of a
      werewolf, an accursed human who periodically transforms
      into a large, ferocious wolf.)
      "The appearance of an animal similar to a large dog
      in the downtown area caused a stir in the city, and it
      wasn't long before" the story "spread--mainly over the
      phone--the 'the Lobizon is loose in Saenz Pena,' according
      to countless stories collected by radio stations contacted
      by dozens of frightened locals, who claim having seen and
      heard a strange beast they didn't hesitate to associate
      with the Lobizon."
      "'Call Professor Lopez and ask for his opinion,
      because it's the same creature that appeared in Concepcion
      del Bermejo,' suggested an AM radio listener."
      "The alleged Lobizon appeared suddenly--who knows
      how--in the downtown area. Witnesses claim seeing it
      around the Club Accion (Calle 15 (street) to Calle 16 and
      Calle 18--J.T.) and later along Calle 11 heading eastward,
      zigzagging in the vicinity of a service station."
      "'I was on my motorbike, about to fuel up, when I saw
      that the service station employee got scared and ran into
      the office, but I had no idea what was going on. Then I
      stopped the bike and heard a howl similar to a human,
      something chilling, but saw nothing until a boy told me
      that the Lobizon was afoot. I tried to start the
      motorbike, but it wouldn't turn over...I almost fainted,'
      said Alejandro Soto to an FM radio station. He works as a
      security guard and was heading back to his home in barrio
      Puerta del Sol (neighborhood)."
      "A well-known radio journalist from barrio Santa
      Teresita acknowledged that the howling of local dogs
      'didn't let us sleep. Then I went outside and heard
      growls that gave me goose-flesh,' he said."
      "Other accounts were also heard: 'Why shouldn't we be
      afraid, when a huge dog the size of a calf, with big ears
      and howling like a human, appears?" asked Martin
      Caballero, who was heading home along Calle 11 on his
      bicycle, returning home from a friend's house."
      "'This was a hairy, long-eared critter that ran very
      fast--I saw it! It screamed like someone was beheading
      it,' explained Ramon Arroyo, who had just finished his
      work shift at this early hour of the morning."
      "Jorge Garcia, director of the city's zoo, confirmed
      that the Lobizon was (in reality) 'just a poor, harmless
      aguara guazu' that was captured after a long chase that
      ended at a garage on Calle 17."
      Garcia reportedly said that the reason for the aguara
      guazu's sudden appearance in the city was the prolonged
      drought affecting the province.
      "Add to this the modification of its natural habitat,
      the expansion of the agricultural area and the permanent
      alteration and fragmentation of its natural environment,
      'and the animal goes in search of a more hospitable
      habitat, disorientedly so, sometimes to a suburban or an
      urban area, finding an excess population of dogs, which
      frightens it. With every step, it hears more barks, more
      klaxons, and it begins a frightened race.'"
      According to Garcia, this was the second time that an
      aguara guazu made its way into downtown Saenz Pena. (See
      the Argentinian newspaper El Norte for February 22, 2004.
      Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto
      articulo de diario.)

      UFO SIGHTED IN ARGENTINA'S
      CHALCHAQUI VALLEY

      "'It was an intense light that suddenly began moving
      and stayed above us. I thought it would whisk us away.'"
      "The terrifying story was told by Julio Rafael
      Espinosa, 39, a farmer of the La Poma region," in
      Argentina's northwestern province of Salta, "who, two
      weeks ago, in the company of his two sons and an elderly
      shepherdess, witnessed one of many luminous apparitions at
      Quebrada de Orozco, 20 kilometers (12 miles) away from La
      Poma, in the Rio Chalchaqui valley."
      "'On this night, around 8:30 p.m., we were waiting on
      National Highway 40, which links La Poma to San Antonio de
      los Cobres, waiting for the merchandise truck that passes
      by a few times a week bringing novelties and supplies with
      it,' the man recalled."
      (Editor's Note: The camion de provisiones, or "store
      truck," is a common sight in rural South America. I
      hitched a ride on one to get from Casma on Peru's Pacific
      coast to Huaraz and Caras in the Callejon de Huaylas.)
      "'We were with my two boys, ages 6 and 9, and with
      Grandma Braulia, 82, a shepherdess who is a neighbor of
      our stand in the Sauzalito area, when suddenly a luminous
      object appeared out of the slopes of Nevado de Cachi
      (mountain), flying at low altitude and zigzagging.'"
      "According to the humble farmer's testimony, the huge
      object's luminosity increased and diminished in the
      measure that it approached the point where the group
      observed the phenomenon from the edge of the road."
      "Espinosa says that they were perplexed and nearly
      frozen" with fear as "the UFO stood over their heads,
      which was the time of the greatest luminous intensity
      emanating from the vehicle."
      "'It lasted only an instant. It was motionless in
      the air some 50 meters (165 feet) above us, and its white
      light suddenly became yellowish. It had no shape as it
      was like an enormous, reflugent mass."
      "Espinosa said that 'after a few seconds, the object
      lost itself swiftly among the northern hills in the
      vicinity of the location known as Punta del Agua.'"
      "'The UFO came from the area of La Poma, and the
      entire event lasted some three minutes, from the moment it
      appeared, stood over us and vanished. After that, we
      remained waiting for the truck, didn't say anything to
      anybody, and left. The next day, Grandma Braulia told me
      that that wasn't the first time she'd seen a similar
      phenomenon in the area. Before that, I thought I was the
      only one who had seen any flying objects. However, many
      more locals have witnessed the phenomenon,' the man said."
      "Espinosa, a privileged witness to the new sighting,
      had already witnessed similar events, such as one last
      December (2003) as he traveled in the company of six
      people aboard a bus on the Tin Tin Highway. On this
      occasion, he managed to see lights similar to those of a
      UFO on the ground in the middle of Los Cardones National
      Park. But on this occasion, Espinosa claims having seen
      some aliens descending from the craft and who appeared to
      be taking samples of the soil or shrubs growing in the
      region."
      "Somewhat more confidently, Espinosa dared to reflect
      that 'this area appears to be used by those strange
      devices as a passageway to the Cordilleran region because
      it's surrounded by large massifs, and the basin of the Rio
      Chalchaqui, could serve as a permanent means of
      communication with the Andes.'" (See the newspaper El
      Tribuno of Salta for April 27, 2004, "La Poma: Another
      sighting in the Chalchaqui valley." Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto articulo de
      diario.)

      LUMINOUS UFO SIGHTED
      IN NORTHERN SPAIN

      "On Thursday, April 22, 2004, a mysterious object was
      reported in the vicinity of the Biscayan town of
      Apatamonasterio" in northern Spain "at around 9:30 p.m."
      "A 14-year-old boy was returning home when he saw
      lights in the sky that attracted his attention. He saw
      something in the far distance that 'didn't seem like an
      airplane and had different lights, aside from moving at
      faster speeds.'"
      "According to his testimony, the alleged UFO changed
      direction, just to go right back the way it had come,
      losing itself in the night toward Durango."
      The Spanish paranormal group "SEIP investigated the
      incident, and, a week later, we ran into a woman, almost
      by sheer coincidence, who told us of her own experience.
      It seems that on the very same day of the event, and at
      the same time--9:30 p.m., she observed three small white
      lights that appeared to be 'stationary in the sky.' The
      woman was unsure if it was a single object with three
      lights on it or three small objects in formation."
      "Months ago, SEIP investigated a similar flap 'in
      areas of Bizkaia and Guipizcoa pertaining to luminous
      spheres and triangular objects.'" (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales y J. Manuel Duran de SEIP para esto informe.)

      GOLDEN UFO SEEN OVER
      CANCUN, MEXICO

      On Thursday, April 22, 2004, eyewitness Jeff Guy
      reported, "My wife Debra and I were on vacation in Cancun
      with my young daughter. It was another fine day, and my
      wife and I were sitting on a second-floor balcony at the
      Crown Paradise Hotel overlooking the ocean. The night
      skies were clear with patchy clouds. It was about 9 p.m."
      "We were having a pleasant discussion when I suddenly
      noticed my wife staring over my right shoulder at probably
      a 45-degree angle. I asked her what she was looking at,
      and she pointed out an object that was deliberately moving
      in the sky. It was moving north-northeast (towards the
      Yucatan Channel--J.T.) with a golden glow. We could not
      tell how large the object was, but we knew it was not a
      plane, a helicopter or weather balloon. It moved very
      deliberately but in all directions, meandering through the
      sky. We watched it go behind clouds and then back in
      front" of them.
      "At one point, it dropped a great distance in a very
      short period of time. It wasn't really like a dead drop,
      though, it looked like a powered descent. It stayed there
      for a brief period and then rose to its original level.
      After about ten minutes of this, the object flew to the
      northeast."
      UFO sightings have been on the increase lately in
      Mexico's state of Yucatan.
      On Friday, March 19, 2004, Nicte Ha Martin Loeza "had
      a multiple UFO sighting at 8:17 p.m. while she was at the
      Haltun Ha estate in Nolo, Yucatan, Mexico doing some
      stargazing."
      "Suddenly, she noticed four white lights racing over
      her head. It was clear that they were not aircraft since
      there were no blinking (navigation) lights. She also
      remembered that no noises were heard."
      "The weather was completely clear, and the sky could
      be seen perfectly. While she observed the movements of
      the lights, the third light that followed the first two
      vanished from sight and reappeared in front of the two
      others."
      "Her first idea was that this was some sort of
      satellite but dismissed the possibility in view of the
      race that the objects seemed to be engaged in. The second
      light seemed to be catching up with the first. All of the
      lights vanished after being in view for two minutes."
      (Muchas gracias a Jeff y Debra Guy, y tambien Scott
      Corrales y David Triay Lucatero para estos informes.)

      RECTANGULAR UFO SEEN
      IN SITTINGBOURNE, KENT

      On Saturday, April 18, 2004, at 10:30 p.m., Sam
      Hanson reported, "I was out playing football (soccer in
      the USA--J.T.) and was on my way home" in Sittingbourne,
      Kent, UK. "Something caught my eye. When I looked up, I
      saw a big, box-like shape dipping out of the sky. A big,
      grey, box-like shape with flashing multicoloured lights.
      Then it shot straight back up like a flash of lightning.
      It was grey, box-shaped and had lights all around it."
      The object's "approaching speed was about 200 miles
      per hour (320 kilometers per hour) and its departure speed
      was 300 miles per hour (480 kilometers per hour). (Email
      Form Report)

      WOMAN SEES A UFO AT
      BREAKFAST POINT, SYDNEY

      On Saturday, April 24, 2004, at 7:25 p.m., Susan Cruz
      was at Breakfast Point in Sydney, New South Wales, the
      largest city in Australia, when she noticed a strange
      object coming from the north.
      "It had a very bright, fireball-like appearance,"
      Susan reported, "At first I thought it was an aeroplane on
      fire, which lasted for approximately 15 seconds. It then
      reduced in size to a small white light, then to a red
      light which was flashing. Then it started toward the west
      and disappeared into the darkness of the sky." (Email
      Form Report)

      MAN PHOTOGRAPHS A UFO
      IN CRADOCK, SOUTH AFRICA

      On Wednesday, March 17, 2004, at 6:32 p.m., William
      van der Merwe was outdoors near his home in Cradock, South
      Africa, a small city located about 450 kilometers (270
      miles) east-northeast of Cape Town. He had his new camera
      handy and planned to take a few snapshots of the sunset.
      "I was taking a photo of the sunset and did not see
      anything while taking the photo," William reported, "After
      looking at the photo on the LCD (liquid crystal display)
      screen of the camera a few minutes later, I saw IT in the
      picture!"
      "IT" was a flattened silver-white disc. William
      added, "The object was about 50 degrees above the horizon.
      I took this photograph at 84 Bree Street in Cradock,"
      South Africa. (Email Interview)

      [The image available with the online edition of UFO Roundup.
      See http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/ ]

      DAYLIGHT DISC SIGHTED
      IN SPOKANE, WASH.

      On Thursday, April 30, 2004, eyewitness S.N. was
      driving south on Highway 195, just south of Spokane,
      Washington state (population 195,629) when he spotted a
      strange glimmer to his right.
      "In the western sky, I saw a white disk-like object
      traveling to the east, away from me. I watched it for
      about 40 seconds. It slowly disappeared in the
      southeastern sky," towards Mica Peak.
      "It was traveling at an extremely fast rate." (Email
      Form Report)

      MRS. SADDAM: "THAT'S NOT
      MY HUSBAND!"

      "Last week, American authorities arranged a meeting
      of former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein with his wife."
      "She was the first of Hussein's relatives to meet
      with the ex-leader of Iraq at the American military base
      in Qatar," an Arab country on the Persian Gulf.
      Saddam's daughter, Ragad, has been trying
      unsuccessfully to see her father since his capture near
      Tikrit on December 15, 2003.
      "Accompanied by Sheikh Hamad al-Tani, Sajida Heiralla
      al-Tuffah arrived from Syria aboard a private jet."
      "The outcome of their meeting turned out to be quite
      scandalous. Sajida claims that the man she encountered
      was not her husband but rather one of his doubles."
      "The wife has known Saddam Hussein for over 25 years.
      But it may be possible that Saddam has changed physically
      since day of his sons' (Uday and Qusay--J.T.) deaths on
      June 24, 2003."
      "Hussein's youngest daughter, Hala, also arrived at
      the base, along with two of Hussein's grandsons. They
      were all invited by the sheikh's wife, Muza, to stay in
      one of his palaces" in Doha, the capital of Qatar.
      "Eldest daughter Ragad and Rada, along with five more
      of Hussein's grandchildren have flown to Doha from Jordan.
      Most likely, the entire family will remain in Qatar
      permanently."
      UFO Roundup correspondent Mohammed Hajj al-Amdar
      suggested that the prisoner-of-war in Doha "might perhaps
      be one of Saddam's clones, a creation of the aliens who
      befriended him before the war. This would explain why he
      has the same DNA as Saddam. It would also explain why he
      was only with two men when he was captured by the
      Americans. Surely one as important as Saddam would have
      had more bodyguards than that."
      Mohammed still believes that "Saddam left Iraq long
      ago" and is now "living at an ET base on the moon with
      other humans and aliens." (See the Arabic newspaper Al-
      Elaf for April 13, 2004, "Hussein's family arrives in
      Doha." Many thanks to Mohammed Hajj al-Amdar for this
      newspaper story.)

      FAYETTE FLAP DIES DOWN

      The strange surge of Fayette Factor incidents, which
      hit a record high during the past month, finally began to
      die down last week.
      The Fayette Factor is one of the strangest phenomena
      in Forteana. It's an extraordinarily high incidence of
      strange incidents and events taking place in American
      towns and cities named after Marie-Joseph de Motier, the
      Marquis de Lafayette, one of the Founding Fathers of the
      USA and a prominent Freemason.
      Fortean researcher Loren Coleman has pointed out that
      the name Fayette "is not even in the Top Ten of most
      common municipal names in the U.S.," which would tend to
      suggest that these happenings are beyond the realm of
      coincidence.
      Last week's incidents all had to do with unusual
      deaths.
      In Kentucky, "James Richie 'Jamie' Sinkhorn, 20, of
      Lexington was positively identified by family members
      Monday," April 26, 2004, "the Fayette County coroner's
      office said." Sinkhorn's remains were found over the
      weekend.
      In Oregon, "a body was discovered in Terry Park,
      along the Willamette River in Lafayette, Ore., according
      to the Yamhill County Sheriff's Office."
      In Georgia, "a 65-year-old man fatally shot his wife
      while she was being treated at a dental office, then
      killed himself, authorities said." The incident took
      place in Fayetteville, Georgia on Wednesday, April 28,
      2004. (Many thanks to Loren Coleman for these reports.)

      MARS ROVERS EXCEED
      ORIGINAL MISSION GOALS

      "NASA's Mars rovers just keep rolling across the Red
      Planet."
      "Opportunity and its twin, Spirit, have completed
      their original 90-day science missions, scientists and
      engineers reported Wednesday," April 28, 2004, "at NASA's
      Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.
      Opportunity reached its 90th day on Mars Monday," April
      26, 2004," and Spirit reached the same milestone earlier
      this month."
      "'We have now completed or exceeded' all mission
      goals, JPL's Matt Wallace says."
      "And neither rover shows signs of stopping."
      "The twins, golf-cart-sized mobile geology labs
      designed to investigate the history of water at two
      Martian sites, landed in January (2004). Detecting signs
      of past water is considered a first step in learning
      whether Mars ever harbored life."
      "What's next? 'We want to get to them thar hills,'
      says Spirit rover Dave Des Marais of NASA's Ames Research
      Center in Moffett Field, California."
      "Spirit has seen signs of volcanic rock at Gusev
      Crater, the Connecticut-sized in which it landed on
      January 3, 2004. But from space, Gusev looks as if it
      once held a channel-fed lake, which has made Spirit's
      findings a bit disappointing."
      "But the Spirit team is planning to reach some nearby
      hills in mid-June in hopes that the terrain will reveal
      signs of an ancient lake bed."
      "Opportunity discovered in March (2004) that a sea
      once covered its landing site, the Oklahoma-sized
      Meridiani Planum region. The rover found sedimentary rock
      laced with salt deposits lining the small crater in which
      it landed on January 24, 2004. Mission scientists have
      turned Opportunity toward its next target, a large crater
      named Endurance. From a distance, the crater seems ringed
      with more of the bedrock that provided the earlier
      evidence of water. The crater is about 430 feet (109
      meters) across and is much deeper than Opportunity's
      landing crater. Its deeper rock layers may reveal the
      presence of water billions of years ago."
      "Engineers hope to drive the rover to the crater's
      edge within the next week."
      "'We'll face some fun decisions then,' says
      Opportunity mission scientist Scott MacLennan of the State
      University of New York at Stony Brook, as the team debates
      whether to send the rover into the deep crater. Getting
      in may be easy, but getting out may be hard. It took two
      tries to get Opportunity out of its shallow landing crater
      because of the slippery Martian sand."
      "The big relief to team members in meeting their
      mission goals is that they are no longer working on Mars
      time, Wallace says. A Mars day, or Sol, is about 40
      minutes longer than an Earth day. As a result, some team
      members suffered from a skewed sleep schedule."
      "'It's a wonderful thing being on Earth time,'
      Wallace says, 'You feel like you've come back from being
      someplace like Mars.'" (See USA Today for April 29, 2004,
      "Mars rovers are still going strong," page 6-D.)

      CASSINI IS IN THE HOME
      STRETCH FOR SATURN

      On Monday, May 3, 2004, "the Cassini Image Science
      Team released the last image of the whole of Saturn and
      its rings that can be taken" as the robot Cassini
      spacecraft closes in on the ringed planet.
      "From now on, the rings will be larger than the
      (spacecraft) camera's field of view. The image was taken
      (Saturday) March 27 (2004) from a distance of 29.7 million
      miles."
      Cassini, and its onboard planetary probe Huygens, are
      scheduled to start orbiting Saturn on July 1 (2004) and
      will collect data for four years."
      "The Huygens probe will seperate on December 25
      (2004) and descend onto Titan, Saturn's largest moon (and
      about the same size as Earth--J.T.) on January 14, 2005."
      "Cassini-Huygens is a collaboration between NASA, the
      European Space Agency and the Italian Space Agency." (See
      USA Today for May 3, 2004, "Saturn gets ready for its
      closeup," page 6D.)
      (Editor's Comment: I wonder if it's too early to begin
      drawing up the blueprints for Masinaigan Estates, UFO
      Roundup's planned subdivision on Enceladus.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1918: LADY SOPWITH

      People sometimes ask if there were any unidentified
      flying objects during the First World War, comparable to
      the famous "foo fighters" of World War II.
      Yes, there was a "mystery aircraft" flap in 1918, the
      last year of World War I, and it featured one of the
      strangest personalities of that conflict--a woman pilot
      who challenged all comers, Allied and German alike.
      The strange saga began on a Wednesday, January 9,
      1918. A British S.E.5 Scout, flown by Lt. Frederick
      Ardsley, was on an early-morning patrol between Amiens and
      Villers-Bocage in northern France. Ardsley was out
      looking for sausage-shaped German barrage balloons,
      tooling along at 10,000 feet (3,000 meters), the ice-cold
      slipstream tugging at his leather flying cap and silk
      scarf.
      All at once, Ardsley had a sudden compulsion to look
      to his left. He did, and then blinked in astonishment
      behind his goggles. Flying just a few feet away from his
      biplane was another S.E.5 of the Royal Flying Corps
      (forerunner of today's RAF--J.T.), complete with a
      brightly-painted red nose, a Lewis gun over the top wing
      and twin machine guns mounted on the fuselage right in
      front of the cockpit.
      One of our chaps, Ardsley mused. Thank God for that!
      If he'd been a Hun, he'd have had me for certain.
      The young pilot had the oddest feeling something was
      wrong. Then he realized what it was. The other S.E.5's
      engine was strangely muted. Indeed, it sounded more like
      a toyshop buzzing than the throaty roar of a Rolls-Royce
      engine. He also noticed that the other plane lacked the
      blue-white-and-red RFC roundels and any identifying
      squadron numbers. Instead, there was a curious golden
      symbol on the canvas fuselage--the astrological sign of
      Venus.
      The other pilot gave him a jaunty salute. Ardsley
      nodded and waved back. Then the pilot reached up and
      pulled off the goggled leather cap, letting a cascade of
      golden hair unfurl in the slipstream. He heard her
      jubilant laughter over the sound of his own engine.
      "What the bloody hell--!?" Ardsley bellowed, gaping
      at the female pilot.
      She seemed to be teasing him, making exaggerated
      kissy-face expressions and winking her cornflower blue
      eyes. Then she began moving around in her own cockpit.
      Now what's she doing? the stunned pilot wondered.
      She was sitting on the cockpit's wicker rim, with her
      back to Ardsley. Suddenly, she leaned forward, gripped
      the voluminous khaki skirt, and performed a Can-Can
      routine that would have been the envy of La Gouloue. The
      slipstream blew the skirt aloft, exposing a shapely
      derriere clad in white satin.
      Ardsley's jaw fell. The satin-clad behind moved in a
      rhythymic side-to-side motion. The RFC pilot could not
      believe what was happening. I must be dreaming, he told
      himself.
      Laughing merrily, she pulled down the billowing
      skirt, plopped back into the cockpit, and, with another
      jaunty wave, banked sharply to the left. Ardsley hit the
      throttle and followed suit, his engine drone growing in
      intensity.
      Ground observers rotated the cranks of their field
      telephones and reported a most unusual dogfight: an S.E.5
      of 49 Squadron in hot pursuit of a red-nosed S.E.5.
      Ardsley was an experienced pilot (meaning he'd
      survived his first three weeks on the Western Front--
      J.T.), and he strove hard to keep up with the mad
      aerobatics of the mysterious aviatrix. Every time he had
      that rogue S.E.5 in his gunsights, she managed to dip,
      dart, barrel-roll or split-S out of danger. Or else a
      sudden burst of mysterious speed would carry her just out
      of range of his machine guns.
      Suddenly, her S.E.5 began climbing, heading for a
      bank of clouds at 20,000 feet (6,000 meters). Ardsley
      listened closely, but, unlike his own, her engine did not
      seem to be laboring. He cocked both fuselage machine guns
      and fired. Both guns fell silent after four seconds.
      Frowning grimly, he reached up and triggered the Lewis
      gun. It jammed!
      The high-altitude cold stung his exposed lips. He
      had trouble catching his breath. His engine began missing
      on all cylinders. He knew he was at the S.E.5's flight
      ceiling. His plane could go no higher. But her biplane
      flew effortlessly toward the clouds overhead.
      Ardsley's plane began to stall. Its propellor
      whirled uselessly. The air up there was too thin for his
      flimsy machine. With a grimace of defeat, he pushed down
      on the yoke and sent the S.E.5 into a controlled dive.
      Glancing over his shoulder, he watched the mystery biplane
      enter those all-concealing clouds.
      Two hours later, Ardsley faced an irate squadron
      leader at his field near Amiens.
      "Are you going to tell me that fellow's number?" the
      older man asked, "Or am I going to have you confined to
      quarters?"
      "It wasn't one of our chaps, sir. It was a woman."
      "A woman!?"
      "Yes, sir." Ardsley stood at rigid attention.
      "Somebody's popsy, I suppose. She stole one of our kites
      (RFC slang for planes--J.T.) and was out for a lark when
      she came up behind me."
      And then he offered a detailed explanation of the
      encounter.
      When he was finished, the squadron leader shook his
      head. "Ardsley, if I send that report to Trenchard, he's
      going to think I've gone stark raving mad. No, I much
      prefer the observers' version. You and another S.E.5
      pilot fought a mock dogfight over the forward lines--"
      "But, sir--!"
      "Yes, that's the report I'm sending to Trenchard," he
      replied, "And you, lieutenant, are confined to quarters.
      Dismissed."
      It was the world's introduction to Lady Sopwith.
      In no time at all, this "new air legend ran the
      length of the front." In late January 1918, a German
      pilot, Albert Roehl, "was shot down and captured" behind
      the Allied lines. When brought to an RFC field near
      Amiens, he told the British squadron leader, "Sir, I
      should very much like to meet her."
      "Her?" he echoed.
      "The woman who shot me down. Die Walkure (German for
      The Valkyrie --J.T.)."
      Nor was Roehl the only German pilot to encounter the
      mystery aviatrix.
      "In this period every German aviator who was shot
      down and captured within Allied territory--and there were
      very few--when brought in for interrogation claimed that
      he had been downed by a girl who was flying a red Sopwith
      triplane (affectionately called a "Tripe" by the RFC
      pilots--J.T.). In some instances, the plane was a red-
      nosed S.E.5..."
      "No one refuted these claims, not even when some of
      the (German) captives went so far as to request an
      introduction to this militant female, before being sent to
      POW compounds."
      "Dozens of Allied airmen claimed to have seen this
      blonde siren skipping about at twelve thousand feet,
      shooting the tails off unsuspecting Fokkers and
      Halberstadts. It was no optical illusion, brought on by
      equal parts of mist, sunshine and Guiness's stout. They
      had seen her clearly, and she was a beautiful dish. Her
      Irene Castle-styled bobbed hair fluttered in the wind as
      she zoomed and banked all over the sky," in her red
      Sopwith Tripe or red-nosed S.E.5 that outflew and outran
      every other biplane in the air.
      "The (Allied) infantry adopted this fable with
      wholehearted enthusiasm, and in no time at all, this
      flossy figure was zipping up and down the enemy wire,
      shooting Hun gunners out of machine-gun pits and
      performing all sorts of fantastic deeds of aerial daring.
      Nothing in La Vie Parisienne could match this charmer."
      Lady Sopwith was seen by civilians, as well. In May
      1918, six-year-old Robert Tuchel was collared in the
      family farmyard east of Amiens by his irate mother,
      following some juvenile escapade. Madame de Tuchel seated
      herself on a bench outside the farmhouse, hauled her
      errant son over her knee and lifted her hand, ready to
      smack. Suddenly, the red-nosed S.E.5 zoomed over the
      rooftop, just above chimney height. Its engine let out a
      loud roar. Startled, Madame de Tuchel stood up, and her
      son rolled off her lap. Next thing you know, Albert was
      off and running across the field, waving his thanks to the
      blonde pilot for having saved him from a spanking.
      As the Germans launched their big spring offensive in
      1918, the question was on everyone's lips: Who is Lady
      Sopwith? There was no end to the theories.
      British pilots believed that she was the sister of
      Captain Albert Ball, a famous RFC ace shot down only a
      couple of months earlier. "Ball's sister, Lois, a tomboy
      who loved him devotedly...was carrying out a scourge of
      family revenge."
      Americans tended to think in terms of conspiracy.
      That Lady Sopwith was the prototype of a "secret squadron"
      of female pilots being developed by the U.S. Army Signal
      Corps. That she was a Suffragette on a special mission
      for President Woodrow Wilson. Or, more cynically, that it
      was all just a publicity stunt dreamed up by Wilson's
      Director of War Information, George A. Creel.
      "Whenever the war situation became grave for the
      Allies, the girl in the red-nosed S.E.5 sometimes became a
      German fraulein flying a black-and-white Fokker. This
      particular damsel had long yellow braids that seemed to
      streak back all the way" to the biplane's rudder.
      By June 1918, "American soldiers impressed with the
      story of the Red Knight of Germany (Manfred Freiherr von
      Richtofen, the top-scoring ace of World War I with 80
      confirmed "kills"--J.T.) were certain she was a sister of
      the baron, out to take revenge for the death of her famous
      brother."
      (Editor's Note: In actuality, Freida von Richtofen was
      married to British novelist D.H. Lawrence and spent 1918
      interned in UK as an enemy alien.)
      Long after the war, novelist Arch Whitehouse
      speculated about the origins of Lady Sopwith. "I think I
      know the actual basis for this flossy legend that began
      innocently enough on a field near Chipilly near the Somme.
      We had a squadron of S.E.5 pilots on the same field with
      us, and these young scout pilots were always up to some
      healthy devilment. Around Christmas of 1917...they
      decided to enliven the dreary days by organizing a
      squadron party complete with a theatrical performance.
      They were especially good at this, and one of the
      ringleaders was a female impersonator. He was young,
      beardless and probably should have been back at Rugby
      (School) conjugating Latin verbs."
      Whitehouse thought that this RFC pilot, dressed in
      drag and wearing a blond wig, clambered into an S.E.5
      cockpit after the performance, was seen at a distance by
      some mechanics, and so the legend of "Lady Sopwith" was
      born.
      But this theory ignores the numerous times Lady
      Sopwith was seen in the air, plus the amazing stories
      about her aircraft's unusual performance capabilities.
      Indeed, no one ever saw Lady Sopwith make a landing.
      Eyewitnesses' last glimpse of her was usually the sight of
      the red-nosed S.E.5 plunging into a high-altitude cloud.
      I have often wondered how many Allied and German
      pilots pursued the red-nosed S.E.5 into that thick
      cumulous cloud...and never returned.
      Kind of makes you wonder what was in that cloud.
      On the last day of the war, November 11, 1918, German
      pilot Kurt Enniger entered the now-abandoned headquarters
      of his Jagdstaffel (fighter squadron). Picking up a piece
      of chalk, he jotted a few lines on the blackboard where
      missions were posted.
      Die Walkure (The Valkyrie)
      Im Krieg geboren (In war born)
      Im Krieg gestorben (In war destroyed)
      It was a fitting epitaph for the mysterious female
      who had dared to fight both sides in World War I. (See
      the books Heroes and Legends of World War I by Arch
      Whitehouse, Doubleday & Co., Garden City, N.Y., 1964,
      pages 328 to 331; and They Fought for the Sky by Quentin
      Reynolds, Holt, Rinehart & Winston, New York, N.Y., 1957,
      pages 168 and 169.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days
      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you next week.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list the date of issue in which the
      item first appeared.Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.