UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 5

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 9, Number 5
      February 4, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Web: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup

      OPPORTUNITY LANDS
      SAFELY ON MARS

      "NASA scientists raved Sunday," January 25, 2004,
      over dramatically new views of Mars, transmitted by the
      rover Opportunity from within a small crater on the
      planet's surface."
      "By coming to rest inside a crater, the golf-cart-
      size rover fulfilled mission scientists' dream of a close-
      up look at rock layers holding clues to the planet's
      geologic past."
      "'We have scored a 300-million-mile interplanetary
      hole-in-one,' chief mission scientist Steve Squyres said
      at a Sunday afternoon new briefing. 'We are actually
      inside a small impact crater.'"
      "Opportunity's flawless landing late Saturday night,"

      January 24, 2004, "was followed only hours later by a
      batch of photos revealing geological features more diverse
      than those encountered by Opportunity's sister rover,
      Spirit, three weeks ago."
      "While images from Spirit and previous Mars landers
      have offered mundane scenery reminiscent of West Texas,
      Opportunity's seemed more like postcards from the Martian
      version of a national park."
      "Other sites have been littered with pebbles and
      boulders, but Opportunity encountered a landscape with
      jagged bedrock foundations jutting through a smooth
      reddish-gray soil."
      "'It looks like nothing I've ever seen before in my
      life,' Squres said early Sunday as the first images
      appeared at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena,"
      California. "'I'm just blown away by all this.'"
      "Opportunity's successful landing made NASA two-for-
      two in delivering the twin spacecraft making up the $820
      million Mars exploration mission."
      All last week, "the rover Opportunity continued to
      beam back intriguing postcards and panoramic images of its
      eerie new home in a shallow Martian crater."
      "The NASA rover rests in a smooth-bottomed, 6-foot
      (1.7-meter) deep crater on the opposite side of Mars from
      Spirit, the ailing rover that landed January 3 (2004).
      Opportunity is located on Meridani Planum, a plain
      (prairie in the USA--J.T.) the size of Oklahoma that is
      notable for its layers of hematite, a mineral that on
      Earth is usually produced near hot springs."
      "'Pretty spectacular landscape; it's turning out to
      be a fascinating place,' said the mission panoramic camera
      chief, Jim Bell of Cornell University."
      "NASA's Opportunity rover stretched out its rear
      wheels Thursday," January29, 2004, "in preparation for
      rolling onto the surface of Mars. Except for its robotic
      arm, Opportunity finished unfolding and standing up from
      its landing position and was ready to travel the final 10
      feet (3 meters) from its lander to the surface of Mars."
      "Engineers consider roll-off the riskiest maneuver of

      the surface portion of each mission."
      "The rover Opportunity took its first roll on Martian

      soil early Saturday morning," January 31, 2004, "and
      scientists offered the most tantalizing evidence so far
      that the landing site once lay in liquid water."
      "While ice still exists near the poles, most of Mars,

      including the equatorial region where the Opportunity set
      down, is devoid of water, liquid or frozen. But some
      scientists believe Mars was warm and wet early in its
      history and may have possessed an environment where life
      could have arisen."
      "At a news conference Saturday at NASA's Jet
      Propulsion Laboratory, Dr. Philip Christensen, a professor
      of geological sciences at Arizona State University,
      confirmed that an instrument on the Opportunity had
      detected the iron oxide hematite in the dark pebbles and
      gravel that dot the landing site."
      "Furthermore, Dr. Christensen, the lead scientist for

      the instrument, said, 'I think the preliminary evidence is
      consistent with hematite forming at low temperatures in
      chemical reactions with water."
      "The instrument, known as the mini-thermal emission
      spectrometer looks at infrared light radiated from the
      rocks and soils."
      Opportunity's landing site in Meridani Planum is
      about 6,600 miles (10,560 kilometers) from Spirit's
      landing site, Gusev Crater. (See the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for January 26, 2004, "Second Mars rover scores
      'hole in one,' pages 1A and 5A; and for February 1, 2004,
      "Rover finds further hints of Mars' moist history," page
      5A. Also USA Today for January 27, 2004, "Mars crater is
      a land of Opportunity," page 13A and for January 30, 2004,
      "Opportunity prepares for jaunt on Mars," page 3A.)

      AILING SPIRIT GETS MEDICAL
      CARE...FROM EARTH!

      On Thursday, January 29, 2004, NASA "said
      Opportunity's twin, Spirit, 'will be perfect again' after
      repairs of crippling software problems."
      "Engineers continued to make progress on the Spirit
      rover, which has been sidelined for more than a week" in
      Gusev Crater. They were preparing to wipe its memory
      clean of science and engineering files that have stymied
      its software, said Jennifer Trosper," Spirit's mission
      manager.
      "Spirit resumed acquiring data Thursday, using its
      panoramic camera to focus on two rocks scientists have
      called Cake and Blanco."
      "Spirit landed in Gusev Crater, a 95-mile (152-
      kilometer) depression that once may have contained a
      lake."
      The rover's "failure to follow orders from Earth was
      beginning to look like a glitch familiar to many earthly
      computer users...Somebody forgot to dump all those old
      files--leaving an electronic clutter so confusing that at
      one point the rover began reporting data it thought it had
      gathered on Mars in 2053."
      (Editor's Comment: Most intriguing! Did Spirit pass
      through a time warp that took it fifty years into the
      future?)
      "Mission manager Jennifer Trosper says there is
      growing conviction that Spirit's erratic behavior--at
      times verging on outright disobedience to orders from
      mission control--was the result of electronic baggage left
      over from its 300-million-mile journey through space."
      "Once Spirit was safely on Martian soil, most of the
      'cruise files' stored in its computer memory were of no
      real value for surface operations."
      "Engineers were then horrified to find that the
      rover's flash memory, for reasons unknown, had retained
      hundreds of files containing flight data and was still
      juggling them along with the daily flood of new data from
      its activities in Mars' Gusev Crater."
      "'We're going to do a lot more debugging today, but
      we're getting ready to delete a large number of cruise
      files on Spirit,' Trosper said, 'And in the future, we are
      going to be much more conscious of the limitations.'"
      (See USA Today for January 30, 2004, "Opportunity prepares
      for jaunt on Mars," page 3A; and the Duluth, Minn. News-
      Tribune for January 27, 2004, "Electronic clutter confuses
      Mars rover," page 6A.

      MYSTERY VAN SEEN BY
      MANY IN ARIZONA

      The silver-grey UFO Roundup mystery van was seen and
      photographed by several people in northern Arizona last
      week.
      Ufologist Mike Fortson reported, "I've been reading
      about the van for some time now, so I was really floored
      when my customer told me she saw it Saturday (January 24,
      2004) in Prescott Valley, Arizona (population 23,535).
      And it scared the living hell out of her!"
      The silver-grey van, which carries the Web site
      address of UFO Roundup's parent site, UFO INFO, has been
      seen in various states of the USA since 1998, when it
      first appeared in Warsaw, Indiana. The van is not the
      property of either UFO INFO webmaster John Hayes or UFO
      Roundup editor Joseph Trainor. At present, the owner and
      operator of the mystery van is unknown.
      Mike Fortson is a regional sales manager who lives in

      Gilbert, Arizona (population 109,697), a city just
      southeast of Phoenix. He added, "My customer has known me
      for 12 years. She knows I'm quite active in UFOs and the
      weird stuff that goes on in northern Arizona. So she felt
      comfortable telling me. She was placing an order when she
      told me what she saw."
      "They were pulling out of the Wal-Mart parking lot"
      in Prescott Valley "and the van immediately drew their
      attention. It was one of those extended vans, silver
      grey, and had U.S. government markings, and the license
      plate was from Georgia. The top of the van was covered
      with small satellite dishes. And there were many radio
      antennae, as well."
      "There were two occupants in the front seat. Both
      were in military uniform. There were no windows on the
      side of the van other than the driver and passenger
      (seats). The van had the markings of Delta Force."
      Also last week, ufologist Bill Hamilton of Arizona
      MUFON contacted UFO Roundup and reported, "Your fancy van
      advertising your website was spotted and photographed in
      Bagdad, Arizona (population 1,578)," a small town at the
      end of Highway 96 in the Aquarius Mountains, located about
      40 miles (64 kilometers) west of Prescott Valley.
      "If not yours, you are getting free advertising,"
      Bill added, "I have been sent half a dozen pics
      (photographs of the van) in all."

      [See website bulletin for photos]

      Arizona MUFON is investigating the sightings and
      trying to learn the identity of the van's owner/operator.
      (Email Form Reports)

      ALIEN SPOTTED BY THREE
      IN MANCHESTER, INDIANA

      A tall, extremely thin, humanoid alien was spotted on

      North Hagen Road in Manchester, Indiana on Saturday,
      January 24, 2004, at 7:30 p.m.
      According to ufologist Kenny Young, "a 17-year-old
      motorist traveling about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of
      Aurora, Indiana (population 3,965) at night claims to have
      encountered an unusual 'figure' in the roadway."
      "The witness lives in Manchester, Ind. and is a
      senior at South Dearborn High School. He has one sister
      enrolled in college and lives at home with his mother and
      father," Kenny reported.
      "While driving his black, two-door 1999 Chevrolet
      Cavalier southbound along North Hagen Road, a 'figure' was
      spotted in the headlights of the automobile as it was
      crouched down near a puddle of water. From the driver's
      perspective, the 'figure' was spotted out of the
      windshield on the right side of the car."
      "'I passed it and looked in the rear-view mirror,' he

      said."
      "After passing the frail-looking figure, the driver
      looked into his rear-view mirror and again observed--
      illuminated by the tail lights of his car--what he
      described as a tall, abnormal figure that moved strangely
      with pointed joints (elbows, knees and heels--J.T.) that
      'buckled out.' He estimated that the 'figure' stood about
      6 feet, 7 inches (2 meters) tall."
      "'I don't know what it was,' he said, 'It had
      protruding joints and moved very strangely.'"
      "The driver said he was able to ascertain (that) the
      figure, alleged to be dark gray or black and 'pencil
      thin,' stood up and took several steps toward the woods
      along the roadside."
      "The 'figure' definitely walked on two legs and was
      thought, somehow, to be male, although no clothing was
      observed. No face or eyes could be seen, but the witness
      had the impression that the 'figure' was looking straight
      at him."
      "The driver continued on for a small distance after
      passing the figure and finally put on his brakes, coming
      to a stop at an estimated 'two-minute' walking distance
      from the location of the sighting. He looked back to
      further observe the entity."
      "At this point, a second car came into view,"
      approaching from the south, "and then reached the spot on
      the road where the 'figure' was thought to be. The 17-
      year-old motorist reportedly watched closely" as the
      second car swerved at that spot. "Then the car turned
      around and pulled up beside him on the grass."
      "An elderly couple was in the car, both of them in
      their late 60s or early 70s. The (male) driver, who wore
      glasses, said, 'Boy, did you see something back there?
      I'll tell you right now--that was no person.'"
      "'It was no person,'" the female in the front
      passenger seat said, "'It was no man.'"
      "The elderly couple were reportedly 'spooked' but
      offered to follow the first witness down North Hagen Road
      to his destination at a friend's house." There "he called
      home to tell his mother of the encounter, advising her to
      lock her doors," and then called his uncle.
      Kenny Young interviewed the uncle, Jerry Schedel, who

      "traveled to the area with his wife some 90 minutes later
      but did not see anything."
      "'I have no explanation for what that thing was,'
      Schedel said, 'I think it must have been some type of
      alien.'"
      Manchester, Ind. is on Route 48 in Dearborn County,
      about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Columbus.
      (Many thanks to Kenny Young for this news story.)

      CHUPACABRA SPOOKS BUS
      DRIVERS IN CENTRAL CHILE

      "Juan Berrios, a 40-year-old (bus) driver and old-
      fashioned Chilean (Roman) Catholic has never driven his
      vehicle again since his run-in with the monster."
      "'He reached the truck stop in a state. His legs
      trembled,' said one of his co-workers, half-jokingly, at
      the same time he made the Sign of the Cross--just in
      case."
      "Until two weeks ago, the barrio Santa Filomena was
      nothing more than a long and lonely alleyway in the
      village of Viluco in Buin," a city located 50 miles (80
      kilometers) south of Santiago, the capital of Chile,
      "where the peace was disturbed only by vehicles driving
      past it at high speed."
      "The town is beginning to shake off its lethargy, not

      because of the arrival of unstoppable modernity but
      because of the appearance of an indescribably bizarre
      creature that hops across the streets with some small
      wounded animal in its maw and which has been seen by the
      drivers on the Buin-Maipo route, who decided to speak
      after experiencing real fear."
      "On (Monday) January 5 (2004) at 5:15 a.m., Berrios
      was driving through Santa Filomena toward the Las
      Vertientes (bus) terminal when he suddenly noticed a
      strange figure in the middle of the road 70 meters (231
      feet) away. He rubbed his eyes and kept going. Some five
      meters (16 feet) away, the figure reappeared, and the
      shock of the horrible sight almost caused him to lose
      control of the vehicle."
      "'I have never seen anything like. It had something
      like a dog bleeding in its muzzle, and it lost itself in
      the bushes in a single leap,' he told his co-workers
      minutes later. He was believed, just from the expression
      of indescribable panic on his face."
      "After his second road trip, he was intercepted by
      another driver, Juan Maulan, who took him aside and asked
      him to describe the monster. After a few minutes, Maulan
      confessed, 'Yes, it's the same one.'"
      "It was a bipedal animal standing 1.5 meters (4 feet,

      6 inches) tall, with hind legs like those of a kangaroo,
      small curved hands (forepaws) ending in talons, a sharp
      mane (of spines) like that of a porcupine running along
      its back, a tail with a rattle, a muzzle like that of a
      fierce wolf, several rows of teeth and voracious red
      eyes."
      "'It jumps a lot,' said Maulan, 'It can easily jump 5

      meters (16 feet).'"
      "He had kept quiet out of fear of being dubbed the
      local madman. 'I almost died of fright. I had to go out
      in the morning just like Berrios, when I suddenly saw this
      thing in the middle of the road. I slowed down and the
      beast stared at me. It took some time to look me up and
      down and then jumped aside,' he recalled very calmly, now
      certain that the beast exists. Just to give the thing a
      name, he says it could well be the Chupacabra."
      "'I think it's a hoax. I've been living here 35
      years, and the nearest thing to monsters I've seen are old
      men riding bicycles,' said Rosa Marileo, widow of Roberto
      Nancur and mother of five children. 'This has been
      circulating for a long time. Everyone says that when the
      monster comes out, it does so in the morning, and I
      wouldn't dream of walking around at that time because this
      street is pitch black,' she added, bringing the
      conversation to a close."
      "At Cerro Cullipeumo (mountain) on the border of Las
      Vertientes in Buin, some abandoned gold mines from the
      1950s could prove to be the lair of the 'Viluco Monster,'
      a singular beast with a kangaroo-shaped body and a wolf's
      muzzle that terrorizes local farmers and has a remarkable
      resemblance to the legendary Chupacabra."
      "'El Dinamita' and 'El Fena,' assistants at the Buin-
      Maipo bus line, claim two drivers came across the creature
      in lonely Santa Filomena and told (the newspaper) La
      Cuarta that they have been hearing stories from old-timers
      about a monstrous beast living in the forgotten gold
      mines."
      "'As soon as we're ready, we'll take a look. The
      groundskeepers, old men who've worked there all their
      lives, always say that strange stuff goes on in that
      mountain. They even say that those who poke their noses
      in too deeply never come back,' said 'El Dinamita,' who
      was itching to venture into the abandoned mines."
      "Anibal Montes, also known as 'El Viejo Choclera,'
      confirmed through stories told by Don Ramon, eldest of the
      group, that mystery has long surrounded Cerro Cullipeumo.
      'Shadows can be seen running uphill, vanishing into the
      mine and disappearing. But this is nothing new. It's
      been going on for many years.'" (See the Chilean
      newspaper La Cuarta for January 29, 2004, "Kangaroo-legged
      monster threatens Buin," and for January 30, 2004, "Viluco
      Monster may hide in abandoned mine." Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y Liliana Nunez para estos articulos de
      diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: Hmmmm, this looks like a job for...Cave
      Carson!)

      UFO SIGHTINGS SURGE
      IN CENTRAL CHILE

      "In January (2004) alone, over 10 UFO sightings have
      been reported in San Jose de Maipo," south of Santiago de
      Chile, not far from Buin, the site of the Chupacabra
      encounters.
      "No one knows why they appear, but the fact is that
      strange lights cross the area (of the Rio Maipo--J.T.)
      regularly, to the extent that the residents of Cajon del
      Maipo consider it a normal occurrence."
      "So frequent are the sightings of this phenomenon
      over the skies of Cajon del Maipo that local residents
      consider it a part of their daily routine."
      "Oscar Farias, who lives in Las Vertientes, said both

      he and his wife, Maritza Valero, have repeatedly seen UFOs
      in the foothills of the Cordillera."
      "'We've seen truly remarkable spheres and flying
      saucers,' Oscar said, 'Only two weeks ago, with my cousin
      and around 8 a.m., we saw a silver saucer in the El Alto
      del Canelo sector, moving at an average speed and losing
      itself in the west.'"
      "Patricia Aros, 37, works for a service corporation
      and claims having seen strange lights in the higher
      reaches of Cajon del Maipo on a regular basis. 'It's
      common to see large and small lights moving over the
      area,' she said, 'I no longer fear them. We aren't alone
      in this immense universe, and if these otherworldly beings
      intended to harm us, they would've done so already. I
      think we should be eventually prepared for what's going to
      happen in the future. Who knows if tomorrow human
      civilization will establish contact with beings from other
      worlds.'"
      "Even San Jose de Maipo's mayor, Miguel Marquez
      Olivarez, witnessed a 'filmworthy' close encounter when he
      was literally assaulted by a UFO."
      "'On this occasion, I was in the Del Ingenio sector,
      driving my pickup truck with my family and a group of
      friends (as passengers--J.T.), when we suddenly saw an
      oval-shaped vehicle issuing multi-hued lights of great
      intensity as it hovered over the village. Suddenly, in a
      matter of seconds, the strange object took off and hovered
      above us, killing my truck's engine. It lit up a radius
      of 4 kilometers (2.4 miles) with an intense white light
      which could be seen as far as the town of San Gabriel.'"
      "'The experience was truly intense even though it
      lasted no more than a minute,'" Marquez said, "'Because,
      from one moment to another, the light shut itself off, and
      the phenomenon vanished.'" (Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales para esas noticias.)

      WHITE UFO HOVERS OVER
      FORTALEZA, BRAZIL

      On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 11 p.m., Daniel D.
      was outdoors in the city of Fortaleza, in Ceara state,
      Brazil when "I spotted a UFO sitting stationary in the
      southwestern sky."
      "It was a small oblong white object seen as clouds
      passed by. It did not move, and it did not look or behave
      like a kite. It remained long enough for me to go
      upstairs, get my Kodak 35mm camera, come downstairs and
      snap a photograph. I would estimate that it was 45
      degrees above the southwestern horizon. I did not see it
      approach or depart. It appeared in the clear portion of
      the night sky. Then the next cloud passed, and it was
      gone."
      Fortaleza is on Brazil's Atlantic Ocean coast,
      located about 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) northeast of
      Brasilia, the national capital. (Email Form Report)

      WOMAN PHOTOGRAPHS
      A UFO IN CANNES

      On Monday, January 15, 2004, at 8:55 a.m., Fabrice M.

      reported, "I had coffee on my terrace before going to
      work" in Cannes, a seaport city in the department Alpes
      Maritimes in southern France. "I often look up at the
      sky. Moreover, I had viewed things in the past, but I had
      no camera."
      This time was different. "As soon as I saw the
      strange light hovering in the sky, I took my digital
      camera, a Nikon Coolpix 5700 with an 8X zoom, and took
      some pictures of what I saw. Then the brilliant shape
      left in the reverse direction, at a slow speed. There
      were no clouds where the UFO was. On the other hand,
      there were clouds over the (Mediterranean) sea, and some
      sunbeams managed to pass through these clouds. The UFO
      had an oval shape, and it was about 3 kilometers (2 miles)
      away, I think."

      {See website bulletin for photos]

      Cannes is 200 kilometers (120 miles) east of
      Marseilles. (Merci beaucoup a Robert Fischer pour ces
      nouvelles de OVNI.)

      UFO PHOTOGRAPHED NEAR
      MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

      "A mysterious photograph has sparked a UFO frenzy in
      the city's (Melbourne, capital of Victoria state,
      Australia) north."
      "Both believers and sceptics are scratching their
      heads over a picture, snapped in Beveridge, Vic. by a
      council officer last week."
      "Whittlesea Council is considering informing NASA and

      has already sent the image to Australian authorities."
      "The photographer, Whittlesea Council traffic
      engineer Roland Rozario, said he could not explain the
      digital photo, which shows a small round object passing
      through the top right side of the frame."
      "Mr. Rozario said he and a colleague were doing a
      routine check of a railway level crossing about 2 p.m. on
      Thursday, January 15 (2004)."
      "'We didn't see or hear anything when we were there,'

      he said, 'I took about 10 to 12 photos, looking east and
      west.'"
      "'Then I came back to the office, downloaded the
      images and noticed an object in one photo.'"
      "'I still don't know what it is. I passed it around
      the office, and people don't know what it was. A few said
      it didn't look like a bird, an aircraft or even a bug in
      front of the camera.'"
      "Mr. Rozario said a train passed through the crossing

      just seconds after the photograph was taken and believes a
      passenger may have spotted something in the sky."
      "Whittlesea Council's communications officer, Jim
      Linton, sent the image to the Chief Defence Scientist,
      (Australia's) Defence Science and Technology Organisation
      and the Civil Aviation Authority."
      "Weather bureau senior forecaster Peter Blake said
      the photograph did not look like anything meteorological."
      "'It almost looks like a plane from the rear. It
      certainly isn't a weather balloon,' Mr. Blake said."
      "Local flying saucer experts also struggled to
      explain the photograph."
      "Victorian UFO Research scientific director Bernard
      Wilson said the group needed more information in order to
      make a full assessment."
      "'There are some interesting aspects to the photo.
      The sun reflections from the object and the rails appear
      to be fairly consistent,' he said, 'There appears to be
      some motion blur to the left of the image which might
      indicate a fast moving object.'"
      "But the Australian UFO Research Network (AUFORN)
      Victoria director George Simpson said a digital photograph
      was not considered acceptable evidence of a flying
      saucer."
      "'They cannot be verified. They are too easily
      manipulated on the computer, and you don't have a
      negative,' he said."
      "Mr. Simpson said he had not heard of any other
      sighting in Melbourne's north. But he said a local member
      will investigate the sighting for his group." (See the
      Australian newspaper Herald-Sun of Melbourne for January
      24, 2004. Many thanks to Jim Hickman and Mary Lou Jones-
      Drown for this newspaper article.)

      NWO TROOPS SEEN IN
      ALABAMA AND ARIZONA

      For the first time since the run-up to Y2K back in
      1999, people are reporting sightings of New World Order
      (NWO) troops in the USA.
      On Sunday, January 25, 2004, Robert S. and his son
      "went to the Senior Bowl (football game) in Mobile,
      Alabama (population 198,915) and I couldn't believe what I
      saw," Bob reported, "At the entrance to get into the
      stadium, there were people dressed in camo and looking
      like military, checking everyone's bags."
      "I talked to the person at the gate and asked if he
      was in the military. He said no, he was part of an
      organization which volunteers to do this kind of work and
      that they were not being paid for the service."
      During the Atlanta Falcon cheerleaders' half-time
      show, Bob left his seat and "checking the other gates, I
      found that all of these gates had someone dressed in camo,
      checking bags and telling people what they could or
      couldn't take into the stadium."
      Bob then approached one of these mysterious guards
      and struck up a conversation. "The man I talked to was
      ex-military and told me he was not in the military, but he
      was considered to be military. There was also a woman
      with him at the gate, when I asked to see her military
      identification. She whipped out an ID that said something
      about Defense or something, but it didn't say military. I
      found out that the woman was the wife of the man I was
      talking to, and he apologized for his wife being snappy."
      "He took me over to his boss who was also dressed in
      camo. None of them had guns, I might add. I asked him
      about their operation, and he told me that they were an
      organization which took their orders from the Governor (of
      Alabama--J.T.). He said they were not military. I also
      found out that the man in charge was from England (UK) and
      was raised in India, and he told me that he was in the
      Merchant Marine in the past."
      Bob then asked the "boss" if "anyone could join their

      organization if they didn't have a criminal record. I
      asked him if I could join the organization if I were a
      member of the John Birch Society. He said I couldn't
      because no one that was in an organization which spoke out
      against the government could join."
      "Another thing that bothered me was that a police
      officer was at each of the gates, but they just stood
      there and didn't do a thing. The camo man told me that
      the police officer was whom he took his orders from."
      But Bob S. wasn't buying that story.
      "To top it all off, some of the people in camo had MP

      on their arm." Bob, a veteran, knew that only members of
      a U.S. Army Military Police company are permitted to wear
      the black-and-white MP shoulder array. He returned to his
      seat, more puzzled than ever by the uniformed people's
      presence.
      In southern Arizona, "well before dawn on a chilly
      Saturday morning (January 24, 2004), reporter Chris Simcox
      of the Tombstone Tumbleweed had an unusual encounter with
      armed troops in strange olive-drab uniforms.
      Chris was on assignment for the Tumbleweed, watching
      "volunteers of Civil Homeland Defense on position along
      the ridge along the San Pedro River, scouting for groups
      of people entering the country (USA) illegally."
      "Through binoculars," Chris "spotted two military-
      type vehicles parked at an abandoned ranch just across the
      Line." (USA-Mexico border--J.T.)
      With Chris were two freelance journalists from Texas,

      Mike and Cesar.
      "We loaded into my truck and drove to within a couple

      hundred yards (200 meters) of the Line," Chris reported,
      "I parked the truck behind some trees and thick brush...I
      took the two journalists through the brush, parallel to
      the border fence and came up through a wash (arroyo or
      gully--J.T.) in a low area that was hidden by a dirt
      berm."
      "Just as I peered over the top of the berm, I heard
      something in the wash to my right. Suddenly, three armed
      men appeared from the brush. They walked quickly to the
      fence. One slung the rifle over his shoulder and leaned
      over to put a leg through the fence. We were no more than
      25 feet (8 meters) away. As the young man leaned over, he
      turned his head and looked right along the fence into my
      eyes."
      "The three men moved away from the fence and broke
      into the thicket of mesquite and tall grass, shouting to
      others as they hastily retreated back to the ranch. There
      was another group of three men. They also immediately
      retreated back up the hill. Six men emerged from the
      brush right near the thicket and all ran the 300 yards
      back to their vehicles."
      "A moment later, 10 of the men jumped into one of the

      troop transport vehicles and drove down the hill in our
      direction. They stopped directly in front of us on the
      dirt road that parallels the border fence on the Mexican
      side. Four men (armed) with M-16s and FN-FAL (automatic)
      rifles jumped from the truck and approached the fence."
      The squad leader "asked if we were Immigration. I
      told him no. He then told us in Spanish it was prohibited
      for us to film them. We told them we were media and we
      had the right to film. He became a bit agitated at this
      point and asked for more specifics about who we were and
      why we were there. He told us they were just protecting
      the border--doing their job. We asked if they were
      military. They did not respond."
      "None of the (olive-drab) uniforms the men were
      wearing had (unit) patches, names or insignia of any kind
      indicating that they were Federales (officers of Mexico's
      Policia Federal--J.T.) or Mexican military personnel."
      "Two of the men standing next to the leader kept
      their weapons in the ready position. The leader again
      firmly asked us to stop filming. Cesar and I continued to
      film with our video camera. Mike obeyed and lowered his
      35mm camera with its zoom lens. The leader told us we
      were 'angering and belittling' his group. He said we
      should leave the area. We did not reply."
      The mysterious platoon then departed, returning to
      the ranch house where Mexican civilians were gathering.
      Later that day, nine illegal immigrants were detained by
      the American civilian volunteers and turned over to the
      Border Patrol.
      The San Pedro River crosses into Mexico a few miles
      south of Palonlinas, Arizona, located about 20 miles (32
      kilometers) south-southeast of Sierra Vista.
      The identity of the mysterious soldiers, who were
      apparently escorting illegal immigrants over the
      USA/Mexico border, is not known. (See the Tombstone,
      Arizona Tumbleweed for January 29, 2004, "Unidentified
      military unit caught crossing U.S. border." Many thanks
      to Jim Danvers for this newspaper article.)

      CAPTAIN AHAB'S REVENGE?

      "A dead sperm whale while being transported through
      Tainan City," on the island of Taiwan, "on its way to a
      research station, suddenly exploded yesterday," (Monday,
      January 26, 2004), "splattering cars and shops with blood
      and guts."
      "Certified as authorities as the largest beached
      whale on record in Taiwan, the 17-meter (56-foot) 50-tonne
      carcass was being transported by a flat-bed trailer truck
      to a special research location after National Cheng Kung
      University officials and security guards refused to allow
      the whale on campus."
      "The whale was to be preserved and the autopsy
      performed at the Shih Tsao Nature Preserve in Tainan
      County by a team of marine biologists and taxidermists."
      "National Cheng Kung University marine biologist Dr.
      Wang Chienping was on the scene and said he had ordered
      the trailer to move the carcass so the whale could be used
      for educational purposes and an autopsy could be done."
      "The beached whale was found along a stretch of coast

      in Yunlin County on Saturday," January 24, 2004.
      "'The animal was close to death when someone found it

      beached on shore on Saturday,' Dr. Wang said, 'Because of
      the natural decomposition process, a load of gases
      accumulated, and when the pressure holding was too great,
      the whale's belly just exploded and spilled blood and
      innards on the street.'"
      "Local news reports showed a number of people who had

      gathered to take photographs of the whale before it
      exploded in Tainan City, as well as residents and shop
      owners following the explosion. Many were wearing gauze
      masks and trying to clear up the spilled guts and entrails
      with their brushes and brooms."
      "'What a stinking mess! The blood and other stuff
      that flew out onto the road is disgusting, and the smell
      is really awful,' said one resident."
      "The news also showed one section of the street,
      along with several parked automobiles and pedestrian
      walkways covered in red with carcass entrails and
      spattered with blood."
      "Lying on the truck was the dead whale--underbelly
      exposed with a large elongated tear where the gaseous
      blowout took place. Beside the shocking red bloody mess,
      large piles of whale intestines and guts were strewn along
      the road, leaving an unpleasant and ghastly scene for
      residents." (See the Taiwan News for January 27, 2004,
      "Sperm whale explodes in Tainan." Many thanks to Chen
      Jilin for forwarding this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Obviously, this was a terrorist plot
      by Captain Ahab, formerly of New Bedford, Mass., using a
      shoulder-fired Stinger missile.)

      READER FEEDBACK:

      IS HITLER IN A LONG SOLAR ORBIT?

      Concerning rumors of an Antarctic Reich (See UFO
      Roundup, volume 9, number 3, "1944: Secrets of the
      Antarctic Reich," page 8), David Grey of Australia writes,
      "What I think they did is put Hitler and Eva (Braun) on a
      near-light-speed craft, accelerating them to 99.9 percent
      of the speed of light, and then orbiting our solar system
      for the appropriate time until they return to their
      underground base in Antarctica."
      "Surely, no body of the most-hated Dictator? Surely
      they must have done experiments on how long it would take
      to burn (with petrol--D.G.) two bodies to a point where
      they could no longer be recognized. I have to wonder if
      repatriating Hitler and his henchmen was done for
      scientists and spies is not beyond question. Mr. Bush's
      grandfather will have to explain a lot."
      "Thanks for your report. Strangely, I saw with my
      girlfriend two very bright 'stars' around late December
      (2003). They were already way high up and tracing a large
      erratic arc (not moving as a satellite or meteorite--D.G.)
      The speed and brightness ruled out any type of plane. Two
      of them were about an outstretched hand in the sky. I
      live in Melbourne and have never seen anything I could
      call a UFO before. The two objects had no other
      description than 'unidentified.'"
      "Anyway, something is going on up there.
      Intervention in our planet's affairs seems to have been
      common enough in our past. Now we need it in a positive
      manner. To my end, the UFO 'people' might as well make
      themselves known, or the planet will be f***ed anyway."
      "Have a good New Year. I hope this is the Big One."

      MYTH OF THE MASONIC PILLARS

      Concerning the story on Al-Qaeda and Dr. Ayman al-
      Zawahiri (See UFO Roundup, volume 9, number 4, "February
      2: Zawahiri's day of destiny?" page 16), Lee Graves of
      Montana wrote, "I have been a Mason for over 30 years, and
      Grand Historian of the Grand Lodge of Masons in Montana
      seven years, and this is the absolute first I have ever
      heard of Jachin and Boaz stemming from the twin pillars of
      Atlantis."
      "All Masonic lodges have the two pillars, 'the one on

      the right hand and the other on the left, called Jachin
      and Boaz.' And they represent the pillars in the temple
      of King Solomon. In lodges, they are usually placed in
      front of the Senior Warden's station, in the west."
      "I do find it interesting that the Twin Towers of New

      York have any Masonic connotations for anyone. And who is
      Hoagland, by the way? But, of course, one can read
      anything into anything one chooses."
      "Perhaps God is a Freemason, too, since he created
      the constellation Gemini, or the Twins."
      "Honestly, let's get serious. Freemasonry has no
      more of an interest by Al-Qaeda than the man in the moon."
      "I hope this clarifies the Pillars myth."

      From the UFO Files...

      1919: DANCE OF THE
      ASSASSIN

      Tuesday, February 21, 1919, dawned cold and grey in
      Munich, with the threat of snow. The World War One
      armistice was exactly 100 days old, and this south German
      city, capital of the state of Bayern (Bavaria), continued
      to be wracked by food shortages, political rioting and
      postwar unrest.
      "On the morning of the twenty-first a young officer
      named Anton von Arco-Valley had himself awakened early by
      the chambermaid of his pension (bed-and-breakfast inn in
      the USA--J.T.) He instructed her to lay out the warm
      clothing while he bathed, because, he said, 'it will
      probably be cold in the jail cell.'"
      "She did not take the remark seriously. Anton Arco-
      Valley was a handsome young man and a Count; he frequently
      made scathing remarks about the unsatisfactory state of
      affairs in Munich and his intention to do something about
      it. Walburga Kaestele, the maid, did not believe that so
      charming a youth as Count Anton, known as 'Toni,' actually
      intended to harm anyone. But he did."
      Born in 1897, the year of worldwide sightings of UFOs

      (then called airships--J.T.), Anton's feelings for Germany
      "were perhaps all the more intense because both King and
      Fatherland were adoptive, his birthplace having been
      Austria." At age 18, he had enlisted in the 1st Bavarian
      Cavalry Regiment, served on the Eastern Front in World War
      I, became a lieutenant "and was badly wounded and
      decorated."
      For Anton, the end of the war had been traumatic. He

      had been part of the victorious German army that had
      imposed harsh peace terms on Lenin's Russia at Brest-
      Litovsk. But then, on November 7, 1918, a socialist
      revolution toppled the Bavarian state government. Two
      days later, Kaiser Wilhelm abdicated and fled to the
      Netherlands. Two days after that, the new German
      government surrendered to the Allies at Compiegne in
      France.
      During the train ride home from Kiev, Anton read the
      proclamation from Kurt Eisner, the new Minister-President
      (governor) of Bavaria and leader of the anti-war
      Independent Socialists. The words made his blood boil.
      "Soldiers, demobilization has not yet begun...The
      officers come back to you not as your superiors but as
      soldiers who wish to work for the common good of our
      people. You are not obliged to salute them on or off
      duty...The soldiers' soviet of Munich reminds officers at
      all times to remain aware of the new spirit of the Free
      People's State of Bavaria, to remove shoulder straps, to
      recognize a fait accompli and work as hard for it as have
      the soldiers since their victorious revolution..."
      What was this "new spirit?" One of its leaders,
      Ernst Toller, described it as "the revolution of love."
      The revolution's "leaders, many of them Jewish, were
      pacifist intellectuals and literati, most notable among
      them Kurt Eisner, a fearful-looking gnome of a man with a
      mop of unkempt shoulder-length hair, a wild and ragged red
      beard, and myopic eyes behind pince-nez."
      Ignoring the proclamation, Anton stepped down from
      the train in full uniform. He was immediately attacked by
      a group of Spartacist soldiers. They yanked off his
      shoulder straps, insignia and medals, tearing his feldgrau
      greatcoat.
      Holed up at the pension, Anton brooded about the war
      and seethed with indignation. He wanted revenge for his
      humiliation at the train station, and so he found his way
      to the Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten (Translated: Four Seasons
      Hotel) and began attending the Saturday meetings of the
      Thule Gesellschaft (Thule Society).
      Thule was the brainchild of Adam Rudolf Glauer (1875-
      1945), a railroad engineer's son from Hoyerswerda. An
      enthusiastic disciple of Madame Blavatsky, Adam changed
      his name to Rudolf von Sebottensdorff, promoted himself to
      freiherr (baron) and became an accomplished astrologer and
      occultist. For years he had lived in Turkey, where "he
      had been able to spend time reading Oriental philosophy
      and Theosophical writings, as well as engaging in Sufi
      meditation."
      "He acknowledged that he had been a Knight of the
      Masonic Order of Contantine" in Istanbul. "Turkish
      Freemasonry, it seemed, had kept the ancient Aryan wisdom
      intact. 'It must be shown,' said Sebottendorff, 'that
      Oriental Freemasonry still retains faithfully even today
      the ancient teachings of wisdom forgotten by modern
      Freemasonry, whose Constitution of 1717 was a departure
      from the true way.'"
      In no time at all, Thule became a magnet for New
      Agers, mystics, clairvoyants, disciples of Guido von List,
      adepts of Jorg Lanz von Liebenfels' Order of the New
      Templars, curiosity-seekers, right-wingers and groupies.
      The Society on its way up, having just moved from a cellar
      on the Zweigstrasse to the ballroom of the posh Four
      Seasons Hotel, with its seating for 300. "Grand Master"
      Sebottendorff was the hottest thing since Annie Besant.
      Listening to Sebottendorff speak..."We don't
      acknowledge the brotherhood of people, only the blood
      brotherhood. We want the freedom not of herds but of
      duty. We hate the propaganda of equality. Struggle is
      the father of all things. Equality is death...", Count
      Anton Arco auf Valley, age 22, felt that he had come home.
      He introduced himself to the "baron" and asked to join.
      "We test for race purity," Sebottendorff explained,
      "The one-year probationary period is only the first level
      in the new member's initiation. He must take a
      ritualistic vow of absolute obedience and loyalty to the
      Master of the Lodge. Symbolically, this signifies the
      return of the lost Aryan to the German family."
      Uh-oh...problem! Way back in 1841, Anton's mother's
      father had married a Jewish woman. Anton flunked the
      "racial purity" test. Membership denied.
      Now it's a question of who does Anton hate more--
      Sebottendorff or Kurt Eisner.
      "...rejected by the Thule Society as racially unfit. Not
      quite thoroughbred by the standards he most admired, not
      fully accepted where he most passionately wished to
      belong, Count Anton Arco-Valley resolved to prove himself
      the genuine article in the eyes of everyone, and his own."
      On February 21, 1919, "freshly bathed and warmly
      clothed, he telephoned the Diet (Bavarian parliament
      building)" and, posing as a newspaper reporter, asked what
      time Eisner was expected to arrive. The Minister-
      President would arrive at 10 a.m. to address the assembly,
      he was told, and afterward there would be a press
      conference.
      Strolling through Munich, Anton spied one of Thule's
      political handbills nailed to a telephone pole. He
      recognized it as the work of Dietrich Eckart, Thule's
      morphine-addicted "minister of information." Eckart had
      stolen the headline right out of Schiller's Wilhelm Tell.
      It read, "Mach hurtig, Landvogt, deine Uhr ist
      abgelaufen."
      (Translated: "Make haste, Governor, your time has run
      out.")
      Continuing on his journey, Anton thought about all
      the strange people he'd met at Thule. There was Eckart,
      of course, and Dr. George Gaubatz, president of Bavaria's
      Audubon Society, never without his gold swastika jewelry,
      and Johannes Hering, leader of the Pan-Germans, and Anton
      Drexler, the labor activist who was kicked out of the
      railroad workers' union and went on to found his own
      Deutsches Arbeiterspartei (Translated: German Workers'
      Party). Sebottendorff let the DAP hang around the Four
      Seasons Hotel because Drexler had no money to rent a hall
      of his own.
      "At 9:45, Arco-Valley stationed himself in a doorway
      on the Promenade Platz where he knew the Minister-
      President would pass on his way to the Diet. He took the
      safety catch off the revolver in his right-hand overcoat
      pocket, and waited."
      Let Sebottendorff cast his runes and play with his
      zodiac, Anton thought, I'm going to do what needs to be
      done.
      "Toward 10 o'clock Eisner emerged from the Foreign
      Ministry on the Promenade Platz and began walking toward
      the Diet building in the nearby Pranner Strasse. His
      months in office had done nothing to improve his
      appearance. With his floppy black hat and flagrantly
      unkempt beard, he still looked like the eternal Bohemian
      heading for a favorite cafe, rather than a Minister-
      President on his way" to make a major speech. "For
      escort, he was accompanied only by a sailor and by his
      secretary, the journalist Felix Fechenbach. About forty
      people were loitering around the square, some of them
      Spartacist followers of Eisner."
      "Spotting his quarry, Arco-Valley drew his revolver
      and darted from the doorway. He closed in swiftly from
      behind and fired two shots," crying, "Vive la boheme!"
      (Editor's Note: This was the phrase uttered by the French
      anarchist Ravachole in 1894. By the way, Ravachole has a
      walk-on in Nicole Kidman's movie Moulin Rouge. He's the
      weird-beard musician who throws a bomb at the stage in the
      climax. Listen closely and you'll hear his trademark
      phrase.)
      "One bullet entered Eisner's brain, the other
      piercing his lungs through the back. He sank to the
      pavement and died on the spot in a pool of blood."
      "The sailor wheeled and began firing at Arco-Valley
      hitting him where he stood and four more times as he lay
      on the sidewalk. Some of the bystanders who came swarming
      to the scene began kicking him in the face and body, and
      trampling him. They meant to kill him, and thought they
      had, but he survived."
      Not quite so fortunate were Major von Jahreiss and a
      delegate named Osel, who died half an hour later in the
      "Tuesday Morning Massacre."
      Thule member Walter Nauhaus sought out Sebottendorff
      and told him about the killings, adding, "This city has
      gone crazy!" Sebottendorff was dumbfounded, but Johannes
      Hering had an idea. He began distributing firearms from
      his hidden stash to Thule members. As an afterthought, he
      handed them out to Drexler's DAP people, too.
      So it was that the DAP's newest member, Adolf Hitler,

      received a sawed-off KAR-98 rifle, a weapon that saved his
      life in the weeks to come.
      Meanwhile, Anton lay in hospital, moaning, "Let me
      die." The surgeon paid him no heed and began extracting
      the bullet fragments.
      The aftermath was a Bavarian version of the O.J.
      Simpson trial. Anton stood unrepentant in the dock.
      "During the war, I shot Bolshevik Jews in the Ukraine, and
      I was given a medal. I shoot one here, and suddenly I'm a
      bum. Where is the justice in that? Kurt Eisner was the
      grave-digger of the Fatherland, and I'm glad he's dead. I
      despised and hated him from my heart. Yes, I shot and
      killed that Elder of Zion. Go thou and do likewise."
      The court swiftly returned a verdict of guilty. The
      sentence was death.
      Anton's plight became a cause celebre on the right.
      One of his most vehement supporters was 19-year-old
      Heinrich Himmler, who urged his father "to join the
      Bayerische Volkspartei" and rescue Anton "before it's too
      late."
      Dr. Gebhard Himmler the same opinion as the
      Munchener-Augsburger Abendzeitung (newspaper), which
      denounced Anton for "turning the Fatherland into Serbia."
      Young Himmler confided his rescue plan to his girl
      friend, Maria "Maja" Loritz. He was going to hop on his
      motorcycle and ride up the steps of Munich's Landhaus,
      with his shotgun blazing. Sort of like Arnold
      Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2: Judgement Day.
      Not surprisingly, Maja dumped Heini and found another

      boyfriend.
      Then the courts agreed to hear Anton's appeal. To
      the assassin's surprise, his sentence was commuted to life
      imprisonment. In 1920, he entered the prison at Landsberg
      am Lech.
      Four years later, he was ousted from his private cell

      by the newest "celebrity prisoner," the leader of the
      abortive "Beer Hall Putsch"...Adolf Hitler.
      Freed on parole in the early 1930s, Anton entered
      obscurity. But only for a short while. In June 1934, he
      was arrested by none other than Heinrich Himmler, the very
      man who had plotted to rescue him 14 years earlier.
      "According to Himmler the reason was that the Count
      had 'on his own admission planned a coup against the Reich
      Chancellor, Adolf Hitler.'"
      Anton was taken to Dachau, where he remained a
      prisoner until he was freed by the U.S. Army in March
      1945.
      However, he did not enjoy his freedom for very long.
      A few weeks later, while walking along a roadside in
      Bavaria, Anton was struck by a speeding U.S. Army jeep.
      He died in a nearby hospital at the age of 48.
      The day Anton donned his overcoat, put a revolver in
      the right-hand pocket, and set out for the Promenade
      Platz, the Armistice was 100 days old. Nobody knew it at
      the time, but, at 10 a.m. on February 21, 1919, Count
      Anton von Arco auf Valley fired the first shots of World
      War II. (See the books The Weimar Chronicle by Alex de
      Jonge, Paddington Press Ltd., London, 1978, pages 50 and
      51; Munich 1923: The Story of Hitler's First Grab for
      Power by John Dornberg, Harper and Row, New York, N.Y.,
      1982, pages 38 and 39; Putsch! How Hitler Made Revolution
      by Richard Hanser, Peter H. Wyden Inc., New York, N.Y.,
      1970, pages 160 to 163; The Nazis and the Occult by Dusty
      Sklar, Dorset Press, New York, N.Y., 1977, pages 27 to 39;
      and Unholy Alliance by Peter Levenda, Continuum Books, New
      York, N.Y., second edition 2002, pages 46, 47 and 73 to
      79.)
      (Editor's Comment: We once had a case like this in the
      USA. On August 2, 1876, Jack McCall rushed into the
      Pioneer Saloon No. 10 in Deadwood, South Dakota and shot
      James Butler Hickock, better known as "Wild Bill Hickock,"
      in the back of the head while he was playing poker. The
      only difference is, when Jack squeezed the trigger, he
      yelled, "You son of a bitch!" not "Vive la boheme!"
      McCall wasn't considered a hero for shooting Wild Bill
      Hickock--quite the opposite, in fact. You can read all
      about l'affaire Deadwood in that great book by Loren D.
      Estleman, Aces and Eights.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us in seven days

      for more UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the
      planet Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home-
      -UFO Roundup." See you next time.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.