UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 9 Number 4

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2004
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      My apology for the late delivery of this bulletin.
      My computer stopped working and I have been unable
      to access the mailing list until now. I still have
      major problems and website updates will be as and
      when I get the opportunity. This situations is
      likely to last for a few weeks - John

      Volume 9, Number 4
      January 28, 2004
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: Masinaigan@...
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      "NASA's rover Spirit stopped sending data from Mars,
      the victim of an
      apparent software glitch, drawing serious concerns from
      mission controllers
      Thursday," January 22, 2004.
      "'We know now we have had a very serious anomaly on
      the vehicle,' says
      Spirit project manager Pete Theisinger of the Jet
      Propulsion Laboratory in
      Pasadena, California. After acknowledging instructions
      sent early Wednesday
      (January 21, 2004), Theisinger says, the rover sent only
      random noise instead of
      data that night."
      "However, a 'beep' indicating that the rover's
      computer was in a safety
      mode arrived Thursday morning. That's 'good news,'
      Theisinger says,
      indicating that power antennas and at least some of the
      rover's software are working."
      "The signal means it's less likely that Spirit had a
      power failure,
      which could be 'very serious' and doom the rover. JPL
      officials said a software
      glitch would be a fixable problem unlikely to shorten the
      90-day design life of
      the rover."
      "JPL chief Charles Hachi compared the situation to
      the Voyager and
      Magellan probes, which overcame software setbacks to become
      very successful
      As of Saturday, January 24, 2004, "the Spirit rover
      remains in critical
      condition on the Martian surface, continually trying to
      reboot its software
      system in a futile effort to restore itself to normal
      "It could be many days or perhaps weeks before ground
      controllers know
      if Spirit will be able to resume its explorations."
      "Spirit managed to send back some engineering data on
      three occasions
      Friday," January 23, 2004, "after a period in which it was
      transmitting only a
      rudimentary signal. But rover project manager Pete
      Theisinger said the
      vehicle's complex software system is not operating
      properly. The craft's computer
      has attempted to reboot itself more than 60 times since the
      trouble began
      Wednesday, Theisinger said at the Jet Propulsion
      "Theisinger said engineers now suspect the root cause
      is some hardware
      problem that is causing havoc with Spirit's computer. Just
      as with a home
      computer, he said, a software glitch should have been
      solved when Spirit pushes
      its reset button and reboots itself."
      "Whether the six-wheeled rover, now only a few feet
      away from the
      landing platform it vacated last week, will be able to roam
      farther afield depends
      on whether engineers can resuscitate the vehicle." (See
      USA Today for January
      22, 2004, "Mars rover could be in trouble," page 1A; and
      the Duluth, Minn.
      News-Tribune for January 24, 2004, "Computer problems still
      plague Mars rover,"
      page 5A.)

      An Arizona woman has taken the first photographs of
      the mysterious
      electronics-laden van which has been spotted periodically
      during the past six years
      on the back roads of the USA.
      The van, which sports the logo of UFO Roundup's
      parent site UFO INFO,
      was seen Thursday, January 15, 2004 in Prescott, Arizona
      (population 33,938).
      The witnesses, Korenda and her husband, saw and jotted down
      the Web site
      address of Albert Rosales' Humanoid Sightings
      Report. They told Albert that they
      had "gotten his email address from the side of a Government
      van with
      www.ufoinfo.com on the side."
      Albert then contacted UFOINFO webmaster John Hayes
      and asked, "Do you
      know anything about a van with your UFOINFO logo on the
      side running around
      Prescott, Arizona?"
      A few days later, UFO Roundup was contacted by Pat
      Mason of Mayer,
      Arizona (population 1,408), a small town on Highway 69
      about 25 miles (40
      kilometers) southeast of Prescott. Not only had Pat seen
      the mystery van, she managed
      to take photographs of it.

      [See website for photo of the van]

      "As you can see, the van is light grey rather than
      black," Pat reported,
      "I saw the driver but didn't get his picture as I was
      trying to drive and
      photograph while not calling attention to myself, as I had
      no idea what I might
      be getting into. The driver exactly matched the
      description given in your
      article. I only saw him from the back, but he was a big
      man with a bushy head of
      pure white hair. He was wearing a jacket, but his shirt
      was not tucked in."
      "The sighting took place on (Friday) January 23 of
      this year (2004)
      between 11 and 11:30 a.m. while I was waiting to catch the
      UPS man at the local
      convenience store (on the corner of Spring Lane and Arizona
      Highway 69 at the
      entrance to a small rural subdivision called Spring
      Valley--P.M.) to give him a
      "I first noticed a van parked at the gas pumps which
      I remember as being
      white. It left, and 5 to 10 minutes later, the one in the
      picture arrived
      and parked by the laundromat across the street from the
      convenience store."
      "So, there are two vans, or one whose color I did not
      accurately recall."
      "After delivering the package, I drove home and got
      my camera and
      returned to take the pictures. On the driver's side of the
      van, it says 'USAF--For
      Official Use Only.' But my husband's comment is that
      'surely the government
      would be using a newer vehicle.' Also, he doesn't think
      they're government
      license plates."
      (Editor's Note: In the November 2003 sightings in Arizona,
      the mystery van
      had state of Georgia license plates.)
      "I later learned that our neighbor spoke to the
      driver of the van and
      was shown the inside of the vehicle. It was full of
      electronic equipment. The
      driver said that they are working on some supposed
      sightings near Humboldt,
      Arizona (about 12 miles from here--P.M.) and that he had
      received some of the
      strongest signals in the area that he had for a long
      time." (Email Interview)
      (Editor's Comment: Pat's photos only serve to deepen the
      mystery. If this
      is a hoax by a private citizen, then the perpetrator must
      be independently
      wealthy. That equipment costs a fortune. Also, if there
      is more than one van,
      then it has to be a government project. However, the
      driver's behavior violates
      all the rules of "need to know" and secure
      information. He's showing
      civilians classified equipment and chatting about "saucer
      hunts" in the desert.
      Finally, if it's a government hoax or disinformation
      project, what's the point?
      The van's six-year odyssey has taken it on a wandering path
      from Warsaw,
      Indiana to Prescott, Arizona for no seemingly logical
      reason. But we'll keep
      reporting its presence wherever it turns up.)

      "A remote camera from a downtown energy corporation"
      in Kansas City,
      Missouri (population 441,545) "captured a bizarre sight in
      the eastern sky" last
      "The video shows an object that appears to be clearly
      falling in the sky
      around 8:30 a.m." on Wednesday, January 14, 2004.
      "Bob Lindsay, a security worker at Trigen Energy
      Plant, spotted the
      object on security monitors and asked a co-worker to zoom
      in on the mysterious
      "'It had the appearance of more of a really light
      yellow--wasn't quite
      white, wasn't quite yellow,' Lindsay said."
      "Lindsay believes he saw a long vessel, like a
      distant aircraft with
      flames shooting over its nose and up its sides."
      "The staff at Trigen has come up with several
      theories about the nature
      of the strange image."
      "'We got UFOs, we got experimental airplanes--a jumbo
      jet maybe? There
      are a lot of guesses going around,' Lindsay said."
      "Kansas City TV station KMBC-TV showed the tape to
      astronomer Tom
      Armstrong, who has worked extensively with NASA."
      "Armstrong guessed the object could be man-made space
      debris, but it's
      more likely it was just a meteor skimming across Earth's
      "'If you've watched a meteor shower, and you put this
      right against this
      background, you'd probably think meteor,' Armstrong said."
      "The North American Aerospace Defense Command, known
      as NORAD, said it
      was not tracking any man-made junk reentering the
      atmosphere on January 14."
      (See the KTVU Channel 2 news broadcast from Oakland,
      California for January 21,
      2004. Many thanks to Jim Hickman for this transcript.)

      Pennsylvania ufologist Stan Gordon reports "a
      daylight close-range
      observation of a small cigar-shaped UFO. This occurred on
      Wednesday, December 31,
      2003 at approximately 1:30 p.m. as the witness was driving
      west of Ligonier,
      Pennsylvania (population 1,695)," a small town at the
      intersection of Routes 30
      and 711, located about 20 miles (32 kilometers) west of
      (Editor's Note: Johnstown, Pa. is famous for its
      catastrophic flood of May
      30, 1889, which killed thousands of people.)
      "The driver was heading westward" on Route 30 "when
      she observed an
      object flying through the sky about 10 feet (3 meters) off
      the ground. The object
      was moving up the right side of the highway, and initially
      the observer had
      the suspicion that she was observing a bird. The woman
      soon realized that the
      object had no wings."
      "The object began to approach closer, giving the
      witness the opportunity
      to get a better look at it. She described the object as
      cigar-shaped, about
      12 inches (30 centimeters) in length, and it appeared to be
      metallic. On the
      side of the object were several dark, possibly black,
      bands. At a distance of
      about 15 feet (4.5 meters), the object changed direction
      and began to keep
      pace with the vehicle."
      "The witness indicated that the object hovered just
      above her, then in
      front of her at a distance she estimated to be about 12
      feet (3.8 meters) or
      less. The object then suddenly took off overhead and was
      no longer seen. The
      entire experience lasted about 15 seconds." (Many thanks
      to Stan Gordon for
      this report)

      "A lighted, disc-shaped object with a 'hump' was seen
      hovering silently
      over a house near Amelia, Ohio (population 2,752)," a
      suburb on Route 125
      located about 15 miles (25 kilometers) southeast of
      "The object, which moved in a bizarre fashion said by
      witnesses to be
      'drop and stop,' was seen near the East Fork vicinity by
      multiple observers in
      Clermont County at 2:58 a.m. on early Monday morning,"
      January 12, 2004.
      "Also seen was something described as 'a shadow' that
      'transformed into
      a ball- another person describing the same as a peculiar
      object, separate from the lighted UFO, which strangely
      'rolled down the side of a
      "The sighting was first reported within an hour of
      the event." The case
      is being investigated by Mrs. Donnie Blessing, MUFON state
      section director
      and former Clermont County librarian. (Many thanks to Ohio
      ufologist Kenny
      Young for this news story.)

      On Wednesday, January 21, 2004, at 6:40 p.m.,
      eyewitness P.M. was
      outdoors in San Diego when he spotted a strange flying
      object approaching from the
      "It was a red glowing ball that passed from north to
      south overhead," he
      reported, "Camera shots were taken. As the object
      approached the apparent
      horizon, two other smaller pieces seemed to fall off the
      original object. The
      weather was perfect and clear with many stars visible."
      "The red glowing ball was thousands of feet
      high. Traversed slowly
      enough that I was able to get 27 shots of the object."
      The witness has posted these images at his Web
      site. Roundup readers
      can access it at
      Just ten minutes earlier the same day, at 6:30 p.m.
      on Wednesday,
      January 21, 2004, Mark Duarte saw a UFO approach from the
      southwest in Castro
      Valley, California (population 57,292), just east of San
      Francisco and Oakland.
      Mark described the UFO as "an object traveling
      extremely high but super
      slow, flew over our heads that night, traveling
      northeast. There were no
      blinking lights, and after it was past us, the light was
      just as bright as it was
      headed towards us. As it passed over, it seemed to stop
      for a brief moment,
      then disappeared."
      "The object made no sound, and, at one point, made a
      subtle change in
      direction, as no aircraft can do. Shortly after it
      disappeared, multiple
      military aircraft flew overhead. I know this because no
      commercial airliners would
      travel side by side at supersonic speeds at roughly 40,000
      feet (12,000
      meters), and they headed in the same direction as the
      "My son Jordan actually filmed the final 60 seconds
      of this singular
      moment. We have the film on VHS-C, and when it is
      converted, I will send it to
      UFO INFO."
      (Email Form Reports)

      On Saturday, December 27, 2003, the eyewitness
      "walked to the Palace of
      the Popes in Avignon," a city in the department of Vaucluse
      in southern
      France, "with my girlfriend. Nobody was on the
      square. The (former papal) palace
      was all lit up. My girlfriend drew my attention to a funny
      object in the sky
      coming from Villeneuve-les-Avignon."
      "It was a disc of brilliant red lights. The object
      then accelerated in
      the direction of and stopped right above the palace. It
      seemed to come down
      closer (lower than 100 meters (330 feet), hovering at about
      20 meters (66 feet)
      above the palace--the witness), and as a result we can make
      a precise
      description of it. It had the shape of a saucer overhung
      with a large dome of black
      colour. The rest of the object was silver-grey, and it
      threw a bright red
      light in the direction of the ground."
      "There was absolutely no noise! The display lasted
      for about three
      minutes, and I hastened to get closer to the UFO by
      climbing the stairs which lead
      to the palace gardens. But the object disappeared
      immediately by going away
      straight up into the sky at a dizzying speed."
      "We have no explanation. The object did not look
      like a helicopter, a
      plane or a balloon." (Merci beaucoup a Robert Fischer pour
      ces nouvelles.)

      A mysterious illness, said to be caused by sorcerors,
      "Grisi Siknis,
      also known as Pauka Prukan, attacked the Santo Tomas de
      Umbra community in the
      Rio Coco" region of eastern Nicaragua, "upstream from the
      community of Raiti and
      which belongs to the Sumu ethnicity (indigenous
      "The area attacked has caused concern among
      authorities from MINSA
      (Spanish acronym for Nicaragua's Ministerio de Salud or
      Ministry of Health--J.T.)
      and the Regional Council Health Commission, who earlier
      this week sent Porcela
      Sandino to control the illness, which is spreading
      throughout the communities
      of Waspam and Rio Coco."
      Victims of the strange illness have reported vomiting
      live spiders,
      extracting strange objects from bodily orifices and
      experiencing sudden expansion
      and contraction of the abdomen.
      "'We are alarmed by the increases in the cases of
      Grisi Siknis, which
      had only affected Miskitos (another indigenous
      people--J.T.) and now the Sumus.
      We believe the central, regional and municipal authorities
      should decree an
      alert in the presence of this epidemic,' said Juan Gonzalez
      Enrique, president
      of the Regional Council Health Commission."
      "The illness had only affected Miskitos 'and the fact
      that it is now
      appearing among the Sumus is very troubling,' said
      "According to the MINSA report, 32 people afflicted
      with Grisi Siknis
      were reported before January 16, 2004. The outbreak can
      only be countered by
      persons who practice traditional medicine."
      "'Porcela Sandino is the best sukia (medicine woman,
      equivalent to a
      bruja in Mexico or a jossekeed among the USA's Anishinabe
      people--J.T.) we have, and we've sent her on an emergency
      "According to early reports from the Regional Council
      Health Commission,
      the symptoms at Santo Tomas de Umbra are the very same
      which afflicted the
      Miskitos at Raiti."
      "Moreover, MINSA authorities in the region stated
      that an increase of up
      to 60 cases was reported in the community of Namahka. 'For
      this reason,
      Porcela Sandino will relocate to that community after
      controlling the situation in
      Santo Tomas de Umbra,' said the comission's secretary."
      "Meanwhile, Jose Osorno, mayor of Waspam, is taking
      all due precautions
      and is in constant communication with the authorities of
      Rio Coco through
      shortwave radio."
      "The authorities fear that the health problem will
      affect all of the
      different ethnic groups, for which reason they shall
      request the aid of the
      central government." (See the Nicaraguan newspaper La
      Prensa for January 23, 2004,
      "Grisi Siknis affects Sumu community." Muchas gracias a
      Scott Corrales y
      Gloria Coluchi para esto articulo de diario.)

      "A minor earthquake rattled southern New Hampshire
      yesterday (Wednesday,
      January 21, 2004), prompting dozens of calls to police from
      concerned about everything from explosions at their homes
      to terrorists."
      "'There was a major shaking and a loud, loud boom,'
      said Patricia
      Finnerty, secretary at the Hopkinton, New Hampshire Police
      Department, who answered
      many of the phone calls. 'We haven't heard of any
      damage. Just scared a lot
      of people.'"
      "The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake at 12:11
      p.m. was a magnitude
      of 2.2" on the Richter scale, "centered west of Concord,"
      the state capital,
      "in the Henniker-Hopkinton area."
      Henniker and Hopkinton, straddling Drew Lake, are on
      Route 202, about 10
      miles (16 kilometers) west of Concord. (See the
      Providence, R.I. Journal for
      January 21, 2004, "Minor quake rocks southern New
      Hampshire," page 3. Many
      thanks to Mary Lou Jones-Drown for this newspaper article.)
      (Editor's Comment: Is it my imagination, or are these
      small earthquakes
      occurring more and more often in New England? I keep
      remembering what psychic
      Gordon Michael Scallion said about the region. Namely,
      that "Earth Changes" will
      turn all the real estate east of the Connecticut River into
      Atlantic Ocean

      "It came from the sky--a block of ice the size of a
      rugby ball with
      enough force to smash through Jan Robertson's roof last
      night (Wednesday, January
      21, 2004)."
      "Plummeting at an estimated 450 kilometers (270
      miles) per hour, it
      penetrated the concrete tile roof, the ceiling, gib and a
      light socket before
      landing on the kitchen bench."
      "'There was a terrific bang like goodness knows
      what,' she told the
      Herald, 'I could have been in there cutting up
      "It was just before 5 p.m. and Mrs. Robertson, 80,
      was cleaning a
      bedroom in her Meadowbank house while her 83-year-old
      husband Bruce was outside
      pulling weeds, both just metres from where the ice block
      (Editor's Note: Meadowbank is a suburb just east of
      "They each ran to check that the other was okay and
      found the ice on the
      "'It was like all hell broke loose,' Mr. Robertson
      "The couple dialed 111." (Equivalent to 911 in the
      "Fireman John Sweeney said they were sceptical 'until
      we saw it for
      "Mr. Sweeney estimated that the block weighed between
      3 and 5 kilograms.
      Firefighters first thought it might have fallen from an
      aircraft or was a
      climactic phenomenon."
      "He said the block must have come from high up and
      was 'bloody
      travelling' because it crashed through the roof as clean as
      a knife."
      "It is not the first time that the neighbourhood has
      been hit. The
      Robertsons' neighbour, Pat Theobald, said ice fell on his
      home last week 'and
      there wasn't a cloud in the sky.'"
      (Editor's Comment: Even more curious, January is the
      middle of the summer in
      New Zealand and other countries of Earth's southern
      hemisphere. It's hardly
      the season for ice.)
      "Mrs. Robertson said she believed it fell from an
      aircraft. 'Where else
      could it have come from?'"
      "The east Auckland couple say they often hear
      aircraft overhead."
      "NIWA climate scientist Jim Salinger said it was very
      unlikely to be a
      natural formation because of its size and the look of
      others around it. 'It
      sounds like an aircraft got some icing on it from the
      moisture in the air. It
      de-iced as it descended and the block dropped off.'"
      "Auckland University physics lecturer David Krofcheck
      said a 5 kilogram
      block falling from a plane at 350 metres (1,155 feet) will
      reach the speed of
      400 kilometers (250 miles) per hour."
      "'It couldn't have had much friction, so there would
      have been plenty of
      energy to punch a hole through the roof. The people were
      very fortunate not
      to be underneath the ice, as they could have easily been
      "A Civil Aviation Authority spokesman said it would
      investigate if it
      received a complaint." (See the New Zealand Herald for
      January 22, 2004, "Block
      of ice falls from sky, smashes through roof." Many thanks
      to Kirsty
      MacGregor for this newspaper article.)

      On Thursday, January 15, 2004, the female witness
      reported, she was at
      Bishops Frome, Worcestershire when she spotted "a very
      large panther-type cat."
      "I had just got home from work and went out to get my
      horse in at
      approximately 7:10 p.m. I had turned on the stall lights
      and the outside field
      floodlight and walked across the garden to the stall
      "Just as I was about to enter the hay store, this
      large black cat leapt
      in front of me and fled out the field into the
      darkness. It was huge!
      Slightly bigger than an Alsatian dog, jet black. Its body
      was about 3 feet (0.9
      meters) in length, and it had a very long feline
      tail--again probably 3 feet in
      "As it was windy and raining, I think the cat was
      seeking shelter in my
      hay store and must have been fast asleep, especially for it
      to still to be in
      there after I had turned on the lights. It is strange
      because the local
      farmer had told me he had seen a large black cat in the
      area whilst he was out
      ploughing a few months ago."
      In Scotland, "a runner yesterday (Thursday, January
      15, 2004) claimed a
      big cat scared him so much he won a foot race."
      "Iain Taylor crossed the line 18 seconds ahead of his
      nearest rival."
      "But yesterday he said he had seen a black panther
      which has been
      spotted before in Blairadam Forest, near Kelty, Fife."
      "The big cat has been dubbed 'the Beast of
      "Iain, who is secretary of the Carnegie Harriers,
      said: 'A cat ran out
      from the south side of the forest, right across the
      track. I would say it was
      about 2 feet (0.67 meters) high, 3 feet (0.9 meters) long,
      and was black. The
      following day, there were what looked like cat prints in
      the snow.'"
      "'A couple of guys in the club had said they heard a
      cat out there, but
      I'd always thought it was a load of rubbish.'"
      "'I've never believed in the Beast of Blairadam, but
      there is a big cat
      there. It's probably the reason I won the race.'"
      "Scottish Big Cat Trust researcher George Redpath
      said: 'There have been
      a lot of sightings in the area. I wouldn't dispute the
      runner's sighting at
      all. It's probably a black panther.'" (See the Daily
      Record of Glasgow for
      January 16, 2004, "Panther made me run faster." Many
      thanks to Robert Fischer,
      UFO Roundup's phantom panther expert, for these news

      "On Monday, January 5, 2004, Iranian Foreign Minister
      Ali Shamkhani said
      that Iran is going to launch its own satellite using a
      launcher fully
      produced at the country's military factories."
      "Intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs) can be
      used as rockets for
      launching space satellites. Examples include the Russian
      long-range ballistic
      missiles, especially the SS-18, many of which have been
      launched from the
      Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan."
      "When Iran's military claims they have 'enough
      armaments' for 'an
      adequate response,' this may not be just an idle threat."
      "I am not saying that Iran possesses space rockets
      similar to the Dnepr-1
      , converted from existing ICBMs like the SS-18. But if
      they have, then they
      may pose a serious threat" to the USA. (Many thanks to Der
      Voron for this
      news report.)

      President George W. Bush visited Roswell, New Mexico
      last week "but did
      not leave without plainly acknowledging what the small
      southeastern New Mexico
      city is best known for--it's the site of an alleged (July)
      1947 UFO crash and
      as a draw for conspiracy theories about extraterrestrials."
      "'I understand that you have reports that rumor of an
      aircraft,' he said to laughter from residents who have
      freely adorned their town with
      images of green aliens."
      "'Don't worry--it was just me.'" (See the El Paso,
      Texas Times for
      January 22, 2004, "Bush visits Roswell, cites unfamiliar
      aircraft." Many thanks
      to Loren Coleman for this news story.)

      Four weeks ago, the Italian newspaper Il Giornale of
      Milano reported
      that the terrorist group Al-Qaeda was planning an attack on
      New York City, using
      a weapon of mass destruction. The supposed date of the
      attack was to be
      Monday, February 2, 2004.
      Since then, little has been heard about Al-Qaeda's
      possible intentions.
      UFO Roundup editor Joseph Trainor did more research into
      the alleged date and
      found out something intriguing.
      "Since the Number Two man in Al-Qaeda, Dr. Ayman
      al-Zawahiri is from
      Cairo and the nephew of a former Grand Mufti, I figured
      that he had more than a
      passing familiarity with the ancient Egyptian mysteries,"
      Trainor said, "Since
      astrology is such a big part of the mysteries--indeed, the
      Egyptian new year
      dated from the rise of the star Sirius above the horizon--I
      wondered if there
      might be some astrological significance in the date
      February 2, 2004."
      "Sure enough, there is!"
      According to the February 2004 issue of Astronomy
      magazine, there will
      be a conjunction on February 2. The moon and the planet
      Saturn will come
      within 5 degrees of each other in the constellation Gemini.
      "I'm no astrologer, so I don't know what this
      means--if anything,"
      Trainor added, "I have heard that Saturn is considered an
      evil influence in
      "Also, the very first horoscope ever cast for the USA
      was prepared by a
      prominent English Freemason named Ebenezer Sibley and was
      published in his
      1784 book on the occult. Sibley identified Gemini as one
      of the ruling
      influences over the USA."
      "In his article The Twin Towers and the Great Masonic
      Richard Hoagland makes a convincing case that Al-Qaeda
      attacked the World Trade
      Center on September 11, 2001 because the twin towers were
      kind of a Masonic
      symbol. Dr. Zawahiri might have it in for Masonry because,
      as an Egyptian initiate,
      he considers the Masons heretics."
      "That's why I think the next target will be the other
      prominent Masonic
      symbol in New York City--the Statue of Liberty."
      "In his article, Hoagland writes, 'In the mythology
      of the
      Freemasons/Templars, one of the core legends is that of
      Jachin and Boaz...the 'Twin
      Pillars' of Atlantis. All Masonic lodges have these two
      pillars at some location in
      their architecture. In the earliest Lodges, they were said
      to represent far
      more ancient pillars, supposedly erected by 'the children
      of Lamech.'"
      "'On those ancient pillars--one of brick, one of
      stone--were said to be
      engraved all the then known sciences to preserve them from
      destruction 'by
      fire or inundation' As such, they symbolized the esoteric
      importance of the
      builder's (mason's--R.H.) art, to be guarded and preserved
      by future faithful
      "'Simply put, according to Masonic legend, 'the
      children of Lamech' were
      the inhabitants of Atlantis. This information, passed down
      from that prior
      highly advanced civilization, is supposed to form the basis
      of the Masonic
      secrets 'from ancient times.'"
      Al-Qaeda might have interpreted the conjunction of
      Moon and Saturn in
      Gemini as a favorable time to attack the USA.
      "Of course, it's difficult to second-guess an
      initiate like Dr.
      Zawahiri," Trainor added, "Sort of like Little Leaguers
      challenging the New York
      Yankees. But if Al-Qaeda is zeroing in on Masonic targets,
      the Statue of Liberty
      is extremely vulnerable."
      "I tried to look for another Fortean lexilink that
      might have to do with
      Brooklyn," he continued, "And I came up with one
      possible--Lafayette Avenue.
      The Marquis de Lafayette was one of the USA's founders. He
      was also a
      world-famous Mason. And, as Fortean researcher Bill
      Grimstad has pointed out,
      strange things often happen in places named 'Lafayette' or
      'Fayette' here in the
      "Most ominously, Lafayette Avenue is close enough to
      both the Statue of
      Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge for a 'suitcase nuke' to do
      "Now, it could be that Al-Qaeda was just rattling our
      cage last month,
      and that nothing will happen on February 2," Trainor said,
      "For myself, I'm
      hoping that February 2 will be the biggest fizzle since Y2K
      and the Comet
      Kohoutek." (See The Secret Architecture of Our Nation's
      Capital by David Ovason,
      HarperCollins Publishers, New York, N.Y., Perennial Books
      edition, 2002, pages
      93, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147,167, 202, 271, 272, 276, 301,
      360, 373, and 384.
      Also Paranoia magazine for Spring 2002, "The Twin Towers
      and the Great Masonic
      Experiment" by Richard Hoagland, pages 55 through 58.)

      From the UFO Files...

      1963: A STRANGE FIND AT

      After Conan the Barbarian, the most popular character
      in the "Sword and
      Sorcery" genre is Thongor, the giant Valkarthan warrior of
      ancient Lemuria.
      Indeed, Thongor's origin is probably as strange as
      anything conjured up
      by the Black Wizards of Zaar.
      The story actually begins in the summer of 1939, at a
      small-town public
      library in the USA's state of Georgia. Just starting his
      summer vacation,
      nine-year-old Linwood Vrooman Carter wanders into the
      children's section and sees
      a shelf full of new books. One title in particular catches
      his eye.
      A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs.
      It is quite literally the book that will change Lin
      Carter's life.
      Flash forward to January 1963. Lin is now 33 years
      old, about ten years
      out of the Army and working for an insurance company in New
      York City. In
      the past couple of decades, he has devoured everything
      Burroughs ever wrote and
      is a great fan of fantasy writers Abraham Merritt and
      Robert E. Howard. Like
      every sci-fi or fantasy fan that ever lived, he wants to
      become a writer.
      But let's let Lin tell the story himself.
      "When I first conceived of writing a Sword and
      Sorcery novel, I
      originally considered laying the scene in Atlantis. This
      notion I discarded for the
      simple reason that there have been a considerable number of
      novels about
      ancient Atlantis--but to my knowledge not one single novel
      laid in ancient Lemuria,
      which I finally decided to take as my province."
      "I explored the occult literature to see if there was
      anything there I
      could use in the way of background data, but I found
      nothing that seemed suited
      to my purpose."
      "It was a book by W. Scott-Elliott, The Story of
      Atlantis and the Lost
      Lemuria, that led me to Madame Blavatsky, the founder of
      the Theosophical
      movement of the late Nineteenth Century and to her enormous
      and fascinating
      thousand-page work of occult lore, The Secret Doctrine."
      (Editor's Note: Scott-Elliott's 1925 book also influenced
      Howard Phillips
      Lovecraft (1890-1937), most notably in his stories Dagon
      and The Call of Cthulu.)
      "According to Madame Blavatsky, the human race
      originated in the lost
      continent of Lemuria, which existed in the South Pacific or
      the Indian Ocean
      before Atlantis. She was full of Lemurian lore and
      constantly referred back to
      the Puranas, which are believed actually to predate as oral
      tradition the
      settling of the Aryan race in the Indian subcontinent, and
      to have originated while
      the Aryan peoples were still a wandering nomadic tribe."
      "According to the occult authorities, where the
      Puranas discuss a
      Sveta-Dwipa (the Sacred Land or White Island--L.C.), they
      are talking about that
      lost continent or group of islands we know as Atlantis,
      fragments of whose lost
      histories were preserved in Diodorus Siculus and Aelian
      (quoting the historian
      Theopompus--L.C.), and, of course, in the two famous
      dialogues of Plato, the
      Timaeus and the Critias. And where they mention the
      Hiranya-Dwipa (the Golden
      Land--L.C.) they are recording some of the lore of that
      mythic continent we
      know as Lemuria or Mu."
      Reading Madame Blavatsky, who "constantly referred
      back to the Puranas
      ... reminded me that I had Hollister's book on my shelves,
      among my scanty
      collection of Asian literatures."
      Lin had picked up this strange little book while
      browsing in a bookstore
      in New York City in 1963. It was a very rare English
      translation of the
      Lin explained that the Puranas "deal with cosmogony,
      stories of the
      gods, the sages and the heroes, the ancient mythic
      histories of the Aryan peoples,
      and of the wars and kingdoms supposed to have existed
      before formal history
      began. The first of these is called the Maha-Puranas, and
      they are essentially
      religious or philosophical in nature...But there exist as
      well a subordinate,
      and more ancient group, called the Upa-Puranas (Lesser
      Puranas--J.T.), which
      are historical and legendary in subject, and almost
      completely unknown and
      utterly neglected by western scholars (that mighty
      repository of human knowledge,
      the 1959 Encyclopedia Brittanica devotes--would you
      believe, just one single
      sentence to the Upa-Puranas?--L.C.)."
      "So far as I have been able to discover, the complete
      Upa-Puranas have
      only been translated into English once, in a little-known
      edition published in
      1896 in Bombay (now Mumbai--J.T.), presumably a limited
      private-press edition,
      so far as I can tell, from the scanty data in my copy. The
      translation (into
      English rhymed couplets--L.C.) is by an Anglican clergyman,
      the Rev. W.
      Clinton Hollister, who may have been a missionary."
      "I have been able to find out nothing about him or
      his academic and
      scholarly qualifications, but I count myself fortunate to
      have picked this rare
      volume out of a bin of miscellaneous second-hand books in
      New York in 1963."
      "I have never seen another copy."
      Reading Hollister's book, Lin became enchanted with
      the tale of
      Mahathongoyha, "a wandering hero of mysterious and probably
      divine origin. He
      encounters a great Rishi (sage, saint or wizard, take your
      pick--L.C.) named
      Shahrajsha; together, summoned by Vishnu, they wage a
      sacred war or quest against the
      Nagarajahs, the Kings of the Serpent People (There's them
      again!--J.T.), whom they destroy with a magic sword given
      to them by the (Hindu) god
      Indra. There is also a subplot. Mahathongoyha (Thongoyha
      the Great--L.C.)
      rescues the Maharani (Queen) Soomaia from a band of wicked
      priests who have usurped her city of Patangha."
      So Lin began spending his nights and weekends at the
      typewriter. He
      "digested most of those long Sanskrit names into briefer,
      more easily remembered
      forms. I presume few save for the occasional Oriental
      purist among my readers
      would object too strongly if I cut down Karamkaravaryu into
      'Karm Karvus' or
      Palitahooridya into 'Phal Thurid.'"
      Finishing the book in 1964, Lin mailed a carbon copy
      of the rough draft
      to science fiction author Lyon Sprague de Camp. Sprague
      read the book, made
      several suggestions as to how to strengthen it, and
      returned it to Lin with a
      detailed critique. Like all authors, Lin did a lot of
      rewriting and rewriting
      and rewriting and more rewriting before crossing his
      fingers and sending it
      off to the publishers.
      Lin had written five unsold fantasy novels before
      this. But he hit a
      home run with Number Six, entitled Thongor of Lemuria. It
      hit the newstands in
      1965 and, in addition to launching Lin's career as an
      author, it helped to
      spark the Sword and Sorcery revival of the 1960s.
      And all because of an obscure little book that Lin
      Carter had picked out
      of the bargain bin at a New York City used bookstore in
      January 1963.
      Lin himself once mused about the strangeness of his
      find. "Wouldn't it
      be an amusing and ironic trick of fate if I had actually
      restored what was
      originally the genuine history of a genuine lost Lemurian
      civilization into a
      close retelling of the way things had actually
      happened! It would be one of the
      most classic ironies of all time, if in merely attempting
      to write an
      entertaining series of fantastic adventure stories, I had
      uncovered and restored a
      true lost chapter of Man's past, without ever knowing it."
      "However, it is most unlikely. Let me add here that
      I am neither an
      occultist (Theosophist or any other variety--L.C.) nor an
      Oriental scholar. I do
      not know whether there ever was an actual Lemuria or
      not. I doubt it."
      "(Still...wouldn't it be funny, if I had accidentally
      hit on the
      truth...--L.C.)" (See the book Thongor At the End of Time
      by Lin Carter, Paperback
      Library Inc., New York, N.Y., 1968, pages 150 to 158.)

      Well, that's it for this week. Join us next time for
      more UFO, Fortean
      and paranormal news from around the planet Earth, brought
      to you by "the paper
      that goes home--UFO Roundup." See you in seven days.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2004 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved.
      Readers may post news items from UFO Roundup on their Web
      sites or in news
      groups provided that they credit the newsletter and its
      editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      the bulletin in error, please write to: