NOSS Launch on 2 Dec.

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2003
      Hi,

      The NOSS trios mentioned in below news report tend to generate reports of
      flying triangles.
      It is believed that a new trio was launched on 2 Dec. As yet, satellite
      observers around the world have observed the Centaur rocket followed by
      just two NOSS payloads.

      Cheers,

      Frits

      Atlas soars on secret mission under cover of darkness
      BY JUSTIN RAY
      SPACEFLIGHT NOW

      http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/ac164/

      A Lockheed Martin Atlas 2AS rocket carried out a clandestine mission in
      the predawn darkness today, deploying into space what is believed to be a
      package of ocean surveillance satellites to aid the U.S. government track
      suspicious ships in the global fight against terrorism.

      Lifting off right on time at 1004 GMT (2:04 a.m. local time; 5:04 a.m.
      EST), the 16-story tall booster slowly rose from its Space Launch Complex
      3-East pad at Vandenberg Air Force Base, California. It marked the third
      and final Atlas 2AS vehicle to fly from the West Coast.

      About 74 minutes later, the secret National Reconnaissance Office payload
      was released from the Centaur upper stage to complete the launch,
      extending the Atlas rocket's string of successful missions to 67 over the
      past 10 years.

      Now, a group of amateur satellite trackers around the world will have
      their eyes on the sky to spot the newly-launched spacecraft. In doing so,
      they hope to solve a two-year-old mystery about the satellites.

      The most recent Atlas rocket flown from Vandenberg, on September 8, 2001,
      lifted a payload thought to be surveillance craft like the ones launched
      this morning. The satellites are believed to be part of a network commonly
      referred to as Naval Ocean Surveillance System, or NOSS.

      Eleven previous NOSS missions launched successfully between 1971 and 1996
      all consisted of three satellites orbiting in a close triangular
      formation, said Ted Molczan, an experienced and respected hobbyist
      satellite observer from Toronto, Canada.

      But just two satellites were released into orbit by the 2001 Atlas launch.

      "Though the 2001 launch deployed only two NOSS, I have always believed
      that three were onboard, and that one of them failed to separate," said
      Molczan.

      Later today, Molczan says amateur observers will have their first shot at
      seeing how many craft -- two or three -- were deployed in this morning's
      launch.

      "Fortunately, most of the active/best observers will be in a visibility
      window, so all we need is for someone to have a clear sky, or a fortuitous
      hole in the clouds, as sometimes happens."

      The National Reconnaissance Office -- the secretive government agency
      responsible for designing and operating the U.S. fleet for spy satellites
      -- uses the NOSS spacecraft to keep tabs on ships around the globe.

      The trade magazine Aviation Week & Space Technology says the vital role
      that NOSS serves has been heightened by the ongoing war on terror.

      "Both the difficulty and importance of NRO's space ocean surveillance
      role, in connection with the Navy and Coast Guard, has been elevated since
      the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. The need to track thousands of
      civilian ships worldwide has intensified given the potential for seemingly
      harmless shipping to be involved in nuclear, chemical or biological
      terrorist operations. It was easier to track Soviet warships than a far
      larger number of civilian ships with unknown cargos and crew," the
      magazine reported in this week's issue.

      Flying in the shape of a triangle, the three NOSS satellites from each
      launch work together to determine the positions of vessels below.

      "Each formation returns data on the location and direction of ships within
      view of its elint and interfrometry sensors. A global real-time computer
      database on all ship movements is updated as data from each group of
      satellites are continually merged with data from other similar formations
      as well as Navy and Coast Guard air and sea surveillance," Aviation Week
      reported.

      "They are believed to detect radio transmissions from ships at sea, and
      analyze the signals to triangulate on the precise location of the
      transmitter. This enables the U.S. government to locate and track foreign
      vessels of interest," Molczan says.

      "Although I have no expert knowledge of the operation of the NOSS, it is
      my belief that three satellites are required to most accurately determine
      the position of transmitters, so the unprecedented deployment of only two
      NOSS after the 2001 launch was a great surprise," Molczan added.

      "Hobbyists closely tracked both NOSS (in 2001) as they maneuvered into
      their final orbits. During the first couple of months after launch, both
      made several small maneuvers that varied the distance between them. For a
      short time, they were 1500 km apart, then gradually moved to within the
      normal 60 km distance. I speculate that the changes in distance may have
      been experiments to determine the optimal spacing of the two spacecraft,
      to salvage as much ship-locating accuracy as possible, after the loss of
      the third spacecraft."

      Molczan and his fellow observers, linked by the Internet, will be watching
      to see if that 2001 launch was a partial failure or simply a surprise to
      the civilian world.

      "(This) launch should settle the question of the intended number of
      satellites. The probability of a second consecutive deployment failure
      must be incredibly small, so if once again we see only two NOSS, then that
      must be the intended number. I expect three, but we'll know soon enough."

      For the Lockheed Martin Atlas team, attention now turns to the scheduled
      December 15 launch of a Russian-powered Atlas 3B rocket carrying a U.S.
      Navy communications satellite from Cape Canaveral, Florida.

      The Vandenberg launch pad used this morning will now undergo extensive
      modifications for use by larger Atlas 5 rocket family starting in 2005.
      The Space Launch Complex 3-East pad was rebuilt in the 1990s to support
      Atlas 2AS rockets, serving as the starting point for three missions. The
      first carried the flagship of NASA's Earth Observing System, the Terra
      spacecraft, in December 1999; the second lofted an NRO cargo in September
      2001.

      The forthcoming renovations will include raising the mobile service tower
      30 feet to accommodate the taller vehicles, building a fixed launch
      platform for the rockets to sit upon, modifying the umbilical tower and
      enlarging the flame trench.

      Earlier this year, the Air Force awarded five Vandenberg launches to Atlas
      5, two taken away from Boeing's Delta 4 as punishment for the EELV stolen
      document scandal and three new missions. Had the Pentagon not booked the
      launches with Lockheed Martin, over 40 years of Atlas launches from
      Vandenberg would have concluded with this morning's liftoff.

      "I think there would been a lot more sadness on this one if the Atlas 5
      hadn't been announced last summer," Maj. Tom Steele, the Air Force launch
      director, said in an interview.

      "With that announcement we don't have time to really look back, we only
      have time to look forward," he added. "I don't think we even have time to
      have a party. We have work to do for the future."

      Flight data file

      Vehicle: Atlas 2AS (AC-164)
      Payload: NRO
      Launch date: Dec. 2, 2003
      Launch period: 1000-1200 GMT (5-7 a.m. EST)
      Launch site: SLC 3-East, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.
      Satellite broadcast: Galaxy 3, Transponder 3, C-band

      © 2003 Pole Star Publications Ltd