UFO Abduction and Pornography

  • visions
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
      What do listers think of this long article from a sceptical website?
      I have so far only scan read it it quickly but its underlying theme seems to be summed up by this quote in the piece:

      "The abduction fantasy has arisen to address deep, if obscure, human social, psychological and spiritual needs, just as pornography addresses the deepest, most basic drive of the human psyche. It should not be surprising that the imagery of one carries over into the other."

      The overall problem I feel with this kind of thinking is that by looking at many things in life one can find similarities and needs - there's only a limited amount of human behaviour after all.

      So if the abduction scenario does contain some elements similar to the dark desires of human nature, so what? The problem, as always, is proving that those desires caused the events and that the events did not actually happen on some, physical or even interdimensional, level.

      If I didn't believe there were gardeners I could say that there is a deep desire in the human psyche to be in touch with mother earth and by believing they were thrusting hands into the soil of her body, gardeners were merely expressing connections to our planet.

      But gardeners DO exist.

      (Not a very good analogy I agree - but I'm sure you get my drift)

      So what do others think about this?

      Here's the link:

      http://www.magonia.demon.co.uk/arc/00/vice01.htm

      Cheers

      Dave

    • Roger Anderton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2003
        Hi Dave

        Its just waffle, there is nothing substantial for these sceptics to get
        their teeth into; if a person says they have been abducted- one either
        believes them or not. This type of supposed sceptic decides not to believe,
        and makes up some excuse that is itself Pseudo Science pretending to be
        psychology.

        -Roger