RE: [UFOnet] can fundamental properties of matter be artificially changed/altered?

  • costello@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      Original Message:
      -----------------
      (1) Can *fundamental* properties of substances be changed by external
      artificial means?

      Part of my thesis as a grad student in chemical engineering was
      predicting the temperature profile of a rod with convective &
      radiative losses. One end was embedded in a furnace and the rest was
      exposed to the air. My model was subsequently used by another grad
      student whose project was to verify that the thermal conductivity of
      the metal (rod) could be changed by applying ultrasonics to it. (I
      suspect this would facilitate improvements in some manufacturing
      process of the company that was sponsoring the research grant.) They
      already qualitatively knew this happened but needed to quantify and
      tabulate the results.

      Along the same lines, I seem to recall reading that certain EM fields
      could even change the decay rate of a radioactive substance. If that
      is true, then could it apply to a decay that produced an anti-
      particle? Artificially increase the decay rate and use the anti-
      particles immediately in an annihilation reaction to generate
      heat/energy (i.e., better than a battery or fuel cell; a
      pseudo "Element-115"?).

      What other so-called "fundamental" properties can be changed/altered
      via external means?
      ---

      I guess it depends on what you mean by "fundamental". The easiest way that
      comes to mind is to bombard the material with neutrons (e.g., at your
      friendly neighborhood accelerator), which changes the nuclei, which ends up
      transmuting the material into something else, etc., etc. If you are
      thinking about alterations by physical means, I don't think that, by
      definition, it can.

      I also don't think that EM fields can appreciably change fundamental
      properties. I suppose if you bombard something with enough IR, it can melt
      and fuse with other materials, though.

      So, I guess, can you define your question better?
      -
      Dean Costello

      http://mail2web.com/ .