Fwd = Meteorite Hits House In Louisiana

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      Originally from: Ron Baalke - Near Earth Object Program <info@...>
      Original Subject: Meteorite Hits House In Louisiana
      Original Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:01:15 -0500

      Meteorite Hits House In Louisiana

      On September 23, 2003, a meteorite fell out of the sky and hit a house in
      New Orleans, Louisiana. An article about the meteorite fall appeared in the
      Times-Picayune on September 27:

      http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/index.ssf?/base/news-0/106464393133640.xml

      I've forwarded this article to the meteorite community.
      Mike Farmer, a meteorite dealer, was in Arkansas at the time.
      After seeing the article, he made a quick trip to New Orleans and
      was able to recover some of the fragments of the meteorite. His
      photos of the meteorite and the house are here on his website:

      http://www.meteoriteguy.com/Neworleanasfall.htm

      The total weight of the meteorite is estimated at 20 kilograms
      (44 pounds). The meteorite is being analyzed in a laboratory and
      Mike Farmer thinks the meteorite will be classified as an H5, or
      a common stony chondrite.

      Ron Baalke

      http://www.meteoriteguy.com/Neworleanasfall.htm

      New Orleans Fall
      By Mike Farmer

      On Tuesday, September 23,. 2003 at ~4:00 pm, a large meteorite fell in
      downtown New Orleans. A single stone fell through the roof of a house, and
      destroyed an antique wooden desk, penetrated the upstairs room floor, then
      entered the downstairs bathroom, narrowly missing the toilet. It then
      punctured a hole through the bottom floor of the house, entering the ground
      beneath the home and then shattering into many pieces. The estimated weight
      of the stone (in fragments)is ~20 kilograms.

      Amazingly, it seems that no one saw or heard and sign of this meteorite as
      it entered the atmosphere, and the only report of any sound was made by the
      neighbor, who heard what she thought was a car accident at ~4:00 pm. She
      rushed outside and saw nothing, then forgot about the sound until her
      neighbor came home that evening and came over asking her about why his home
      was severely damaged. They thought that perhaps an airplane part had fallen
      off and hit the house. When he sorted through the debris, he noticed small
      pieces of burned stone, and then realized that it must be a meteorite.

      I was visiting my friend in Arkansas when I heard of the fall, my friend and
      I immediately jumped on a flight to New Orleans, and made arrangements to
      see the lucky owner of the newly destroyed home the next day.

      The meteorite is being sent out for analysis and more data will follow when
      I get it.

      The meteorite appears to be a very fragile chondrite, I saw many small
      chondrules, and some metal. My guess is (H5).

      [Image] [Image]

      Here is a large fragment.Two smaller fragments.

      [Image] [Image]

      Roy and myself! Roy and Gary Loyd.

      [Image] [Image]

      The house from the street. The Another view of the impact on the
      meteorite impact is only visibleroof. The roof was repaired the
      as the light roof patch in the far next morning, so only the patch is
      left center of the roof at the end visible in the center (lighter
      of the house.tiles).