Fw: Channel 4 Program changed for reason's unknown

  • Roger Anderton
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      Thought you might like to read this thought provoking item that makes you wonder who pulls the wires on TV programs..

      From Southampton UFO Group---

      Channel Four's Tuesday 7th October documentary has been mooted as "The Great British UFO Hoax"! and claims to be that childish spoof near Avebury's Red Lion pub early August and sussed out by most observers there..including the small contingent from our own SUFOG...as a poorly contrived hoax by Chrysalis TV. Another version of the documentary came from the October UFO MAGAZINE from the lateand sadly missed Graham Birdsall who had been informed the prog.would be the more serious "The Believers" and would include footage of some SUFOG members..myself included....

      Confusion has arisen and after discussion with our Steve Gerrard..who was also in the local filming.....and after emailing UFO MAGAZINE's Russel Callaghan on October 2nd....no answer yet...I rang Chrysalis TV and eventually spoke to someone who had actually worked on both productions. My feelings that a "hoax" programme would,in view of Graham Birdsall's recent sudden death following operations for a brain haemorrhage, be more of an insult than the more commemorative "serious" production. After I put the spokesman right on just WHO Graham was and his achievements...since he seemed unaware of even OUR tragic loss...he sympathised with my views and of others but said Channel Four had 'pulled the plug' (HIS words) on the original and opted for the Hoax one. Perhaps if Channel Four officials had been aware of matters they might have put "The Believers" on first, and, subsequently,the "Hoax". I also suggested that MAYBE any of us who MIGHT tune in on the 7th October would perhaps switch off sooner than later. UNLESS, UNLESS, "respect" allows a change!

      Ernie Sears
      Southampton UFO Group PRO