UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 8 Number 37

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2003
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      Volume 8, Number 37
      October 1, 2003
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: <Masinaigan@...>
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      "An unusual breed of rats is inflicting damage in
      Kirghizstan's Dzhalal-Abad region."
      "The rats are 'killing numerous farm birds, are
      damaging grape and corn crops, and have destroyed 14
      hectares of grain in one of the districts. These rats can
      climb trees and are destroying apples, pears and other
      "'The rat invasion may also give rise to different
      epidemics,' (Kirghiz) Parliament member Dooronbek
      Sadyrbayev told the Russian news agency Interfax."
      "The rats frequently attack people and children are
      especially vulnerable."
      "Sanitary resources are unable to deal with the
      "'The enormous number of rats cannot be satiated,'
      Sadyrbayev said, 'The rats are not susceptible to typical
      "An Uzbek scientist bred the species by crossing an
      ordinary rat wth a muskrat, he said."
      "Parliament members asked the (Kirghiz) government to

      resolve the problem."
      Kirghizstan is a small country in central Asia north
      of Afghanistan. (See the Iraqi newspaper Al-Ahali for
      September 20, 2003. Many thanks to Mohammed Daud al-
      Hayyat for this news story.)
      (Editor's Comment: Welcome to Tom and Jerry Week here at
      UFO Roundup. Not only do we have mystery rodents, we have
      mystery cats, too!)

      "One of the most unusual police operations in
      Northern Ireland began this morning," Wednesday, September
      24, 2003, "as animal officers embarked on a big cat hunt
      on the north (County) Antrim coast."
      "Heat-seeking equipment and a helicopter are being
      used in the latest attempt to capture the puma which has
      been on the loose in the Ballybogey area for five weeks."
      "USPCA (Ulster Society for the Prevention of Cruelty
      to Animals--J.T.) experts armed with tranquilliser guns
      joined PSNI (police) officers in the biggest hunt to date
      to track the killer puma, which has mauled livestock and
      terrorised the north Antrim farming community."
      "However, it is feared that the animal may have to be

      shot on sight by police marksmen in the interest of public
      "USPCA officers are hoping that if the beast is
      captured its owner can be identified and may be
      "The puma is thought to have escaped from a private
      collector who has not yet come forward to claim the
      ownership of the animal."
      "Today's search is focusing on a 10-mile (16-
      kilometer) area between Ballycastle and Coleraine" in
      Northern Ireland, "where the wild cat has been spotted on
      numerous occasions."
      "It is understood that the last known sighting of the

      animal was at approximately 7 p.m. on Monday evening,"
      September 22, 2003, "when it was seen stalking cattle near
      "The elusive animal, which has killed four times,
      appears to have been keeping a low profile in recent weeks
      and no further killings have been reported to police."
      "Local farmers are convinced that the animal is
      living in a remote area of woodland known as the Virgin
      Moss and say the beast is seen roaming in that location at
      least once a day."
      "The first sightings of the cat were reported in
      early August (2003) in the Portrush, Portballintrae and
      Bushmills area."
      "A few days later, paw prints found in the area were
      identified as being made by a mountain lion, possibly a
      puma or panther."
      "On 20 August, a farmer in the Bushmills area blamed
      the cat for attacking a flock of sheep, killing a ram."
      "Earlier in the week, police marksmen were called to
      Cookstown in County Tyrone after a reported attack on a
      However, the USPCA "said a black panther was living
      near the village of Ballybogey, outside Portrush, and a
      brown-coloured puma was roaming the hills near
      Ballycastle." (See the Belfast Telegraph for September
      24, 2003, "Hunt for big cat takes to the air." Many
      thanks to UFO Roundup's phantom panther expert, Robert
      Fischer, for this newspaper article.)

      Last week saw a big upsurge in the phenomenon known as

      alien big cats (ABCs) (phantom panthers in the USA--J.T.)
      in Scotland.
      "Two young sisters were frozen in fear when they
      confronted a 'panther' in a forest on the Black Isle" in
      Ross-shire, Scotland, UK.
      "Josie Gaitens, 12, and sister Hannah, 8, were
      walking in the woods near their village, Avoch, when they
      saw something in the bushes and saw 'a large black head.'"
      "The sighting is one of several in the area and has
      heightened fears that that an escaped wild panther or puma
      is roaming through Ross-shire."
      "Two pensioners were shocked when they came face to
      face with a big cat near their house."
      "The couple were living near Kilmacolm when they
      caught the beast in their headlights."
      "They were so amazed by the incident, when they got
      home they immediately notified the Scottish Big Cat
      Society. They said they had never seen anything like it
      "The animal was seen on the (motorway) B788 between
      Cairncurran and Milton at around 11:15 p.m. on Sunday,"
      September 14, 2003.
      "It is described as being three feet (0.9 meters)
      long and as tall as a fully grown Labrador (dog), a tawny
      brown colour with small pointed ears."
      Elsewhere in Scotland, "a large cat-like creature the

      size of a collie-dog has been spotted in the Nairn area.
      A couple reported seeing the beast in a field on the
      (motorway) A96 northeast of Aulderan while driving from
      their house in Elgin to Inverness."
      "The pair, who do not want to be named, say they saw
      the big cat while driving along the road between Broombank
      and Gallows Hill at 9:45 p.m. on Wednesday of this week
      (September 17, 2003). The woman said they had just passed
      Gallows Hill when her husband, who was driving, revealed
      that 'there was a big black cat in the field.'"
      "She said, 'I looked to his side of the road and saw
      a pitch black cat walking slowly away from a house at the
      edge of a hayfield. Its back was straight, and its head
      was held down slightly lower than its back. It was
      definitely a cat. A very big cat. The tail was very long
      and held down with a curved-up tip. Its neck was long and
      its head was surprisingly slow.'" (See the Scottish
      newspapers Evening Express for September 13, 2003,
      "Panther fear after sighting;" the Daily Express for
      September 18, 2003, "Beastly encounter--couple comes face
      to face with big cat on country road;" the Greenoch
      Telegraph for September 18, 2003, "Mystery beast sighting
      at Aulderan;" and the Aberdeen Press and Journal for
      September 20, 2003, "Girls in panther ordeal." Again,
      many thanks to Robert Fischer for his extensive coverage
      of the phantom panther phenomenon.)

      On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 7:30 p.m., a family

      in Ghanna, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, spotted a gigantic
      dark disc hovering over their neighborhood.
      Eyewitness Daryl, 32, a husband and father of two
      children, reported, "This was not just a light in the sky.
      It was a huge black 'thing' shaped like a disc."
      The family "was driving north on Beaverbrook Road
      around 7:30 p.m. as dusk was setting in. There was still
      residual daylight visible when a massive aerial object
      became apparent to them. The disc-shaped object was in
      front of their car and slowly heading west, almost seeming
      to float silently."
      "At first I thought it was a shadow, but then I
      understood it was in the sky, and I'm still trying to
      comprehend what I saw," Daryl said, "I've never been a UFO
      believer, but I cannot deny what I saw. It was massive."
      According to Cincinnati ufologist Kenny Young, "The
      immense object appeared directly in front of them and
      occupied a space, from their perspective, that filled the
      entire windshield of their 1994 Honda."
      "The first thing I started looking for was wings. I
      kept trying to see wings," Daryl said, "But there weren't
      any. The object looked like it was just floating, really
      low, just above the treetops."
      Young added, "When first seen by the family, there
      were lights around the object. The daughter thought they
      were orange, while the wife said they were multiple-
      colored lights. The lights that surrounded the disc-
      shaped object were non-flashing but, more or less, changed
      color 'in unison.'"
      "What was very strange was when the lights went out,
      and the object went totally black," Daryl said.
      "It was just so huge. I still can't believe it," he
      added, "At one point, it blocked out the sun, and we were
      in its shadow. It was so low that the trees were blocking
      it. It seemed like it took forever for the object to pass
      because it was so slow. I could not discern any surface
      material, structure or color. This thing was pitch black
      after its lights went out. You couldn't see any surface
      detail. It was a monster." (Many thanks to Kenny Young
      of Cincinnati UFO Research for this report.)

      On Sunday, September 21, 2003, at 3:30 p.m., Paul
      Spera "was sitting at my window" at his home in Franklin,
      New Hampshire (population 8,405) "and noticed the object
      came down out of a cloud. It looked strange, so I ran and
      got my camera and videotaped the object."
      The UFO "consisted of 3 to 5 white balls of light
      shaped in a line and then in a triangle. The lights also
      turned different colors on the tape. The UFO was no more
      than 1,000 feet (300 meters) up and traveled to the west
      at a rapid pace."
      Franklin, N.H. is at the intersection of Routes 3 and

      11 approximately 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of
      Concord, the state capital. (Email Form Report)

      On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 2 p.m., trucker
      Steve Goldman "was traveling south on Eubank Boulevard,
      from Montgomery Boulevard, in Albuquerque, New Mexico
      (population 448,607)" when he spotted "a stationary UFO."
      "For about 30 to 40 minutes, I observed a strange,
      visibly-white orb or disc-shaped object suspended
      absolutely motionless over the Sandia Labs."
      "It was a really-white semi-transparent disc or orb-
      shaped object with three cylindrical protrusions jutting
      from the bottom on one side of the craft. The bottom
      right-hand side of the craft. It was at 10,000 feet
      (3,000 meters) in altitude and absolutely motionless."
      "My observation lasted about 20 minutes. When I got
      home, I ran in to get my binoculars to get a closer look."
      Albuquerque, N.M.is on Interstate Highways I-25 and
      I-40, located 58 miles (97 kilometers) southwest of Santa
      Fe. (Email Form Report)
      (Editor's Note: The Sandia National Labs are the one of
      the most important nuclear energy research sites operated
      by the U.S. Department of Defense.)

      On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 2 p.m., Larry W.
      Taylor and his wife "went to town to check the mail at the
      Hugo, Oklahoma post office and to eat at our favorite
      Circus City diner."
      "After eating, we were driving home from Hugo, when
      my wife said, 'What is that!?'" Larry reported.
      "She pointed up toward the sky. It was just about 3
      p.m., and the sky was clear and sunny. Just a slight
      breeze from the north. I looked up through the windshield
      and saw a bright silver orb or ball-shaped object. It was
      very clearly visible and bright silver. Just my guess,
      but maybe it was 5,000 feet (1,500 meters) in the sky and
      was big."
      "We watched it for three to four minutes, and I drove

      home and was thinking, Why didn't I have a camera?"
      "After that three to four minutes, the color went
      from bright silver to dull grey, and it was not visible
      any longer."
      Hugo, Okla. (population 5,536) is on the Indian
      Nation Turnpike about 70 miles (112 kilometers) south of
      McAlester. (Many thanks to Jim Hickman and John
      Schuessler for this report.)

      On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 9:45 p.m., the
      female witness reported, at their home in Westfield,
      Wisconsin (population 1,217), "My husband went out to the
      upper deck to smoke. He came back in and got me up.
      'You're not gonna believe this.'"
      "I looked up and saw these flashing lights: red,
      green, orange, yellow, blue... flashing! We watched them
      through the telescope and binoculars. They didn't seem to
      move, except up and down."
      "The next night (Friday, September 19, 2003), there
      were two of them. Same bright colors and flashing. I
      called the air-to-ground missile range the next day
      (Saturday, September 20, 2003) to see if they were doing
      anything, and they said they don't have anything like
      Westfield, Wis. is just west of Interstate Highway I-
      39, located about 50 miles (80 kilometers) north of
      Madison, the state capital. (Many thanks to John and
      Jenny Hoppe of UFO Wisconsin for this report.)

      On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 8:40 p.m., a woman
      named "Louise said she had seen a UFO on her way home from
      shopping while driving on the Brisbane Valley highway" in
      Borallon, near Lowood, Queensland, Australia.
      "Louise said the object was enormous. It had a black

      base and covered the entire road. It was a box-shaped UFO
      with a searchlight in front and red lights down the
      Louise's twin sister, Tracy, "rang her to say, 'Sis,
      you're not going to believe this, but I saw a UFO on my
      way home from work.'"
      Tracy's sighting took place at 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday,
      September 16, 2003. "Tracy told Louise that she saw the
      UFO over the Borallon area near Lowood." (Many thanks to
      John Hayes and Diane Harrison of the Australian UFO
      Research Network for these reports.)

      "Victims of unidentified offensive brown muck
      showering people, houses and cars are popping up all over"
      New Zealand.
      "Many are blaming aircraft sewage, but no one knows
      what the splatter is or where it is from."
      "Hamilton roofer Peter Lowe observed a two-metre (6
      feet, 6 inch) wide strip of brown muck splattered across
      the roof he was building in Te Awamutu
      when he turned up for work on Tuesday," September 23, 2003.
      "'I've been doing this for 17 years, and I've never
      seen anything like it,' he said."
      "He is the latest in what is emerging to be a string
      of victims."
      "Shonnie Gordon's Takapu Valley farmhouse, near Tawa,

      Wellington," on New Zealand's North Island, "was showered
      with muck on Sunday," September 14, 2003.
      "Certain an aeroplane was to blame, she called the
      (New Zealand) Civil Aviation Authority. Their tests ruled
      out aircraft."
      "Civil Aviation Authority spokesman Bill Sommer said
      he received seven more calls from people in Christchurch,
      Palmerston North, Wellington and Hutt claiming to have
      been showered by gunk in the past month."
      "A number of farmers suggested ducks were
      responsible, and an Auckland man said he had been showered
      with what proved to be duck droppings."
      "Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, Ms.
      Gordon took her own sample to a laboratory for testing.
      Sadly, the results came back inconclusive yesterday."
      "'I'm disappointed, but it's just one of those
      things,' she said."
      "Another victim, who does not want to be identified,
      has also come forward. His family home on Paekakariki
      Hill Road was hit 11 years ago."
      "While he searched the sky for the 'giant seagull,'
      he quickly removed downpipes (drainpipes in the USA--J.T.)
      from his roof, upon which he depended for water."
      "'It was analysed, and they said it was definitely
      poo,' he said."
      "He never saw a plane but believes one was the
      culprit as the substance had a chemical smell reminiscent
      of the long drop (outhouse in the USA--J.T.) he used as a
      "Wellington Zoo Trust bird and reptile expert Geert
      van Eyken said it was probably a flock of the biggest
      birds in New Zealand, relieving themselves
      in unison, that could have caused the latest messes."
      "'Birds also drop stuff when they fly...but if it
      were birds, it would have been more spattered,' he said."
      (See the Dominion Post of New Zealand for September 25,
      2003, "More mystery showers of unidentified muck." Many
      thanks to T. Peter Park for this newspaper article.)

      "NASA's aging Galileo spacecraft deliberately plunged

      into Jupiter's turbulent atmosphere Sunday," September 21,
      2003, "bringing a fiery conclusion to a 14-year $1.5
      billion exploration of the solar system's largest planet
      and its moons."
      "The unmanned spacecraft, travelling at nearly
      108,000 miles per hour, was torn apart and vaporized by
      the heat and friction of its fall through the clouds after
      it dove into the (Jovian) atmosphere at 2:57 p.m. Eastern
      (USA) time."
      "At NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, hundreds of
      scientists, engineers and their families counted down the
      last seconds before the spacecraft ended its 2.8-billion-
      mile journey from Earth."
      "'We haven't lost a spacecraft, we've gained a new
      stepping stone in exploration,' said John Torrance, the
      mission's project scientist."
      "Rosaly Lopes, another scientist on the mission,
      called Galileo's descent 'a spectacular end to a
      spectacular mission.'"
      "'Personally, I am a little sad. I had the time of
      my life on Galileo and I'm a little sad to say goodbye to
      an old friend,' Lopes added."
      "Despite the glitches that plagued Galileo since its
      1989 launch aboard the space shuttle Atlantis, it was one
      of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's
      most fruitful missions."
      "During its thrice-extended mission, Galileo
      discovered the first moon of an asteroid, witnessed the
      impact of a comet into Jupiter and provided firm evidence
      of salty oceans on three of the planet's moons.
      Scientists consider one of the three, Europa, the most
      likely place in the solar system to harbor
      extraterrestrial life."
      "Among the most stunning of the 14,000 images
      returned by Galileo were those of the moon Io. Galileo
      caught some of the moon's more than 150 volcanoes actively
      spewing lava and plumes of dust and gas."
      "'It had more surprises, better stuff waiting to be
      discovered than we ever could have imagined,' said Andy
      Ingersol, a Jupiter scientist at the California Institute
      of Technology."
      "The last of Galileo's science measurements arrived
      on Earth after the spacecraft was destroyed, taking 43
      minutes to cross half a billion miles at the speed of
      "'I just can't believe the spacecraft collected data
      all the way in,' said a tearful Claudia Alexander,
      Galileo's seventh and last project manager."
      "NASA initially considered leaving Galileo in orbit
      after it depleted its onboard store of fuel, which was
      used to trim its course on each of its 35 spins around
      "Instead" NASA "opted to crash the 3,000-pound
      Galileo to eliminate the possibility it could smack into
      the watery moon Europa and contaminate it with any
      microbes aboard. Were Earth bugs to survive on Europa,
      they could compromise future attempts to probe the moon
      for indigenous life, scientists feared."
      "NASA intends to return to Jupiter in a decade with
      another unmanned spacecraft called the Jupiter Icy Moons
      Orbiter." (See the Duluth, Minn. News-Tribune for
      September 22, 2003, "Galileo ends its mission in a blaze
      of glory," page 4A.)

      Another mysterious electrical blackout occurred last
      week, this time denying power to four million people in
      Denmark and Sweden.
      "A power outage left nearly 4 million people without
      electricity in eastern Denmark and southern Sweden.
      Utility officials said the outage was caused by a faulty
      transmission line separating the two countries."
      "Power was being gradually restored after three
      hours" of blackout on Tuesday, September 23, 2003.
      "Trains in Denmark's driverless subway system stopped and
      passengers had to be evacuated. Flights to Copenhagen
      airport were diverted to Sweden. And the Oresund bridge
      and tunnel, which connects Copenhagen to Malmo, Sweden,
      was closed to traffic." (See USA Today for September 24,
      2003, "4 million lose power in Denmark, Sweden," page

      Betty Hill, "the world's first alien abductee, just
      celebrated the 42nd anniversary of her abduction--and it
      might be her last."
      "Friends of Betty Hill say the 84-year-old, who
      currently lives in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is suffering
      from lung cancer."
      "That didn't stop her from recently celebrating the
      42nd anniversary of her abduction," which took place near
      Littleton, New Hampshire on September
      19, 1961.
      "On that night, Betty and her husband, Barney, were
      reportedly taken aboard a disc-shaped craft and given a
      medical examination by a group of aliens," the Zeta
      "Mrs. Hill claims her extraterrestrial examiners were

      bald, big-eyed, only 5 feet (1.5 meters) tall but
      otherwise looked human."
      "Most people don't like being probed, but Mrs. Hill
      says the examination wasn't bad and told the E.T.s to stop
      by anytime."
      UFO Roundup readers who want to send Betty a letter
      or a get-well card can reach her at this address:

      Mrs. Betty Hill
      753 State Street
      Portsmouth, NH
      USA 03801-4554

      From the UFO Files...

      1940: THE MAN WITH NO FACE

      If there's a Nostradamus Award for "Best Paranormal
      Comedy," then Fortean writer/researcher John Michell is a
      cinch to win. And he'll win it with this tale...
      "A form of conspiracy theory was already well-
      established among us, thanks to government propaganda. It
      was during the Second World War and spy mania was raging.
      The public had been instructed to watch out for mysterious
      strangers, lights, signalling and other indications of
      enemy espionage. This call was most warmly responded to
      by schoolboys. A popular tale in magazines of the time
      was of brave boys unmasking a German agent, and a spy-
      catching craze swept the boarding schools of Britain."
      "The authorities, not being readers of boys' comics,
      had no idea what was going on. Thus many odd incidents
      passed unexplained."
      "At Wellesley preparatory school at Broadstairs, it
      became obvious to the pupils that their Latin master was a
      German spy. He bore a peculiar resemblance to an
      obnoxious gauleiter depicted in The Hotspur, and a skin
      ailment had given his face the colour and texture of
      (Editor's Note: In commercials on USA network television,
      this condition is sometimes called "the heartbreak of
      "It was therefore assumed he was wearing a mask."
      "Little Heathcote Williams, future poet and
      playwright, took on the task of exposing him. During
      Latin class he rose from his desk, ran up to the master
      and began scrabbling at his face."
      "It's a fake!" the boy yelled, "Let's see what you
      really look like!"
      "Even as he did so, the absurdity of the whole thing
      became suddenly apparent to him, but it was too late to
      turn back. The rest of the class urged him on with cries
      of 'Spy!' until the master lost his nerve and bolted for
      the door."
      "The headmaster was unable to make sense of what had
      happened so no one was punished."
      Having the last word was Inspector Hugh MacBride of
      the C.I.D.: "And there'll be no more of that, thank you
      very much!" (See the book Eccentric Lives, Peculiar
      Notions by John Michell, Black Dog and Leventhal
      Publishers, New York, N.Y., 1999, pages 62 and 63.)

      That's it for this week. Join us next time for more
      UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet
      Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
      Roundup." See you in seven days.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2003 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.
      the bulletin in error, please write to: