FWD: [UASR] THE ROOTS OF COMPLACENCY

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 1999
      Posted by : "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean@...>

      >>> "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean@...> 06/18 6:53 PM >>>
      From: Dr. Virgilio Sanchez-Ocejo <ufomiami@...>

      Introduction
      by Dr. Willy Smith

      Toward the end of his life, Dr. J. Allen Hynek was a frequent visitor to
      my home, the last of such visits taking place from August 20 to August 31.
      1985, when he finally left to have his first surgery on September 5, 1985.
      After that his health declined rapidly and unfortunately he died on April
      27, 1986.

      During his visits, Dr. Hynek did quite a bit of work using my computer
      which was quite similar to his own at home. At that time, his interest was
      centered on the Hudson Valley sightings

      Time marched on, and after Dr. Hynek passed away, the work was completed
      by Bob Pratt and published in book form in 1987, under the tittle NIGHT
      SIEGE.

      One day, revising my diskettes, I found a file labeled "Imbrogno" which I
      did not recognize, When I opened it, it was a paper intended to be the
      Preface of the book, that undoubtedly by error Allen had saved on one of
      my diskettes (on August 30, 1985, just the day before he left my home).
      It is a remarkable piece, and once you read it it will be easy to
      understand why it was not used as initially intended. I think the time
      has come to release it through INTERNET. so every one will see what Dr.
      Hynek's thoughts about these remarkable sightings really were. I strongly
      suggest that you compare "THE ROOTS OF COMPLACENCY" (as Hynek himself
      titled it) with the version that appeared in NIGHT SIEGE.

      Dr. Willy Smith
      UNICAT PROJECT
      June 1999

      THE ROOTS OF COMPLACENCY
      by Dr. J. Allen Hynek

      [Note: Dr. Hynek, an Astronomer, was the scientific director for the USAF
      project Blue Book.]

      Something truly astonishing happened.... Not far from New York City,
      along the Hudson Valley, as hundreds of astonished people looked up, many
      driving along the Taconic Parkway, they saw something no one had ever seen
      before.

      Some called it a "Space-ship from outer space" (for want of anything
      better) but it was generally described by numbers of competent,
      professional persons as startlingly brilliant lights, in the form of a
      "V", or Boomerang, silent, slowly-moving, and very large close-by object.
      It has often popularly been called the "Westchester (County) Boomerang".

      The world has never known about this, even though the event happened not
      once but several times, and over the course of several years. To all
      intents and purposes, this was a non-event. The media across the world
      has remained dumb. Local papers, radios and TV's, it is true, did
      momentarily carry spots along with the daily news, but there the news just
      vanished.

      How is it possible that in the United States, where even trivial events
      are often flashed across the world, only one TV and radio network carried
      an account of this utterly astounding event? Far, far lesser stories are
      spewen forth across the world!

      Could it possibly be that the whole thing just never happened? No: many
      times there was good, but extremely local, media coverage; many hundreds
      have personally attesteds to us, and to many others, that the "Westchester
      Boomerang" was most undeniably, very truly real to them. Furthermore,
      many witnesses at a given time, were geographically separate, and unknown
      to each other. Cars along the Taconic Parkway, a well traveled highway,
      stopped, and passengers looked in amazement, many frightened and
      bewildered at the spectacle.

      Police department "blotters" proved that many calls came to several local
      police stations, and we have tape recordings of a number of the police
      involved. The Boomerang was undeniably real; it was not a chimera!

      Yes, something truly and astonishing transpired, but was no one "minding
      the store", was everyone asleep at the switch? What about law enforcement
      agencies (whose duty is certainly to alert and assist when something
      amazing is afoot; what about civilian and military personnel?

      When hundreds of largely professional, affluent people, in suburban areas,
      are astonished, awestruck, and many frightened by what they could only
      regard as a very bizarre event, would this not at least warrant and bring
      forth some comment from the nation's media? And what about law officers,
      government officials and... what of the FAA which supposedly monitors the
      airwaves over which the "Boomerang" repeatedly flew, and thus constituted
      a serious hazards, especially over the Taconic Parkway.

      And what of scientists, to whom these events should have been of
      breathtaking scientific concern? But nothing...except, oh yes, a writer
      so inept at his task that not once did he checked, even briefly, the
      voluminous tapes and other material amassed by the present authors: a
      remarkable example of investigative reporting.

      His conclusion: the Boomerang was caused by nothing more than a flight of
      small planes flying in formation, a totally untenable conclusion in view
      of the facts.

      How, it would appear that we really have TWO astounding stories, rather
      than just one... different but related... and equally incomprehensible:
      the story of the low-flying luminous Boomerang (in itself which could rank
      high in the annals of science fiction... if it were science fiction! ) and
      the second, a totally unaccountable dereliction of duty (and there seem to
      be no other word for it), a complete superb and indifference to
      accountability.

      It was a malady which appeared to plunge all who encountered it, EXCEPT
      the witnesses, into a deadly stupor. Such a malady, or perhaps a virulent
      virus of apathy and indifference to duty, could immobilize cities and a
      whole country. Of course, we don't know what the Boomerang was really
      about for:

      ---the Police and other law enforcement officers were derelict and failed
      in their duty to assist the many who called for fear and danger, as well
      as in awe and wonder.

      ---the FAA utterly failed to be concerned for air safety, flight rules,
      navigation lights, when told that some utterly strange and possibly
      menacing object was cruising close over streets and house.

      ---the Military was derelict by not attending to public safety and matters
      of National Defense (the country could have been subtely invaded!)

      ---the Scientists failed to uphold their "Hippocratic" oath of science:
      they were derelict in following the quest in following an outstanding
      mystery.

      ---the media, well, where were they? Truly derelict always avid news
      hounds, rushing to their typewriters or microphones to rush the news to
      the world (good, bad and trivial), but where were they? Hardly any of the
      50 States heard the Boomerang story.

      Why? Utterly indifferent and apathetic? If so, why?

      (more deleted)

      This is a case similar to crop circles. We know the explanation - it was a
      hoax - but UFO proponents refused to accept a conventional explanation.

      I quote from a 1984 article by Jeffrey Schmalz, New York Times News Service,
      which explains both how the hoax was created and why police and the FAA were
      relatively unconcerned:

      "The state police say the 'unidentified flying object' is really five or six
      small planes flying in tight formation as part of a hoax...

      "One officer followed the object, according to Sgt. Kenneth V. Spiro of State
      Police Troop K, which is responsible for the area in which sightings have been
      reported.

      "'He tracked it to Stormville airport,' the sergeant said. 'It was a group
      of light planes. They fly in formation. The undersides and under the wings
      are painted black, so they can't be seen from the ground. The planes are
      rigged with bright lights that they can turn from one color to another. It's
      the lights that give the shape to the UFO.

      "The troopers spoke to a couple of the pilots, and they're getting a big kick
      out of it. There's no violation of the law here...

      "Many residents want a thorough investigation by the Federal Aviation
      Administration. But the agency does not seem interested.

      "'Why would we care about a UFO?' asked Louis Achitoff, a spokesman for the
      eastern region of the FAA, in an interview. 'If the pilot's up there with a
      clearance and at the right altitude, we don't care what planet he comes
      from.'...

      "Pressed for additional comments, Timothy L. Hartnett, the deputy director of
      the FAA's eastern region, said there are no regulations prohibiting planes
      from flying in formation, as the hoaxers were."

      The article notes that some observers didn't believe that it could be a hoax,
      due to the alleged ability of the UFO to hover or shoot straight up, etc. But
      we know that many observers are unreliable when it comes to estimating the
      movements of unfamiliar objects in the sky. Moreover, if there had been a
      "real" V-shaped UFO, wouldn't it have been a fantastic coincidence that it
      would make its appearances in the exact region and year when a bunch of
      hoaxers were creating something similar in appearance?

      Tom Wheeler

      --
      Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean@... >
      Home Page: < http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/8832 >