Re: [UFOnet] Re: Aliens in the Bible

  • Ray Boeche
    Message 1 of 60 , Sep 2, 2003
      On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 01:34 PM, Roger Anderton wrote:

      > In the Bible there is a story about God making the Sun stop moving in
      > the
      > sky, this was interpreted as the Earth was stationary with the Sun
      > moving
      > around it, i.e. the Earth as the centre of that motion. It was
      > believed if
      > the Earth was moving around the Sun, then the story would have said
      > that
      > "God stopped the Earth moving" instead of saying "God stopped the Sun
      > moving".

      Hi Roger.

      Close, but no cigar!

      Heres the actual passage from Joshua 10:12-13:

      "On the day when the LORD gave the Amorites over to the Israelites,
      Joshua spoke to the LORD; and he said in the sight of Israel, “Sun,
      stand still at Gibeon, and Moon, in the valley of Aijalon.” And the sun
      stood still, and the moon stopped, until the nation took vengeance on
      their enemies. Is this not written in the Book of Jashar? The sun
      stopped in midheaven, and did not hurry to set for about a whole day."

      Now, pardon me while I change into my "priest-in-the-Reformed-Episcopal
      Church" outfit. : - )

      The Bible, as any other piece of literature, makes use of simile,
      metaphor and allegory, as well as literal statements.

      It's true that Joshua lived at a time when people had little or no
      accurate concept of celestial mechanics, but even today, the vast
      majority of people (astronomers included) will describe the obvious:
      they speak of the sun crossing the sky, rather than the earth turning
      on its axis.

      It's all too common to forget to let Scripture speak in the same way as
      other literature, even for those like myself who regard it as the
      inerrant, infallible Word of God.

      Hope this helps.

      Ray Boeche
    • Lee
      Message 60 of 60 , Sep 6, 2003
        Thanks Billie.
        Lee
        ****
        Review of THE UNIVERSAL SEDUCTION by Angelico Tapestra. A 2 volume set by 40+ authors; some well known names. It is a groundbreaking collection of work covering many subjects such as; paranormal, UFOs, government cover-ups, black ops, the Patriot Act, Homeland Security Bill and much, much more. A must read!
        http://www.pilgrimsway.com/newsletter/seduction.html
        ****
        BEASTS a novel of horror by C. Lee Finkle is available at www.publishamerica.com; Amazon.com and Barnes and Nobel stores everywhere.
        Step into the world of sacred rites, shape shifting and horror! See what happens when the dark side of Creation; Sister Moon, rules. There is a beast inside all of us. Which beast resides inside of you?
        ****
        Visit my websites: http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/stories/index.html for short stories and poetry of different authors and me.
        http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/barbelo/index.html for paranormal and UFO subjects.