UFO ROUNDUP, Volume 8 Number 32

  • John Hayes
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2003
      Posted on behalf of Joseph Trainor.

      <Masinaigan@...>
      ==========================

      UFO ROUNDUP
      Volume 8, Number 32
      August 27, 2003
      Editor: Joseph Trainor

      E-mail: <Masinaigan@...>
      Website: http://www.ufoinfo.com/roundup/

      OHIO UFOs CAUSED THE
      BIG BLACKOUT?

      "In the hours before the nation's worst blackout" on
      Thursday, August 14, 2003, "several transmission lines in
      Ohio were carrying massive amounts of power--"well above"
      emergency summer standards--before automatically shutting
      down, a company that owns the lines said Friday," August
      22, 2003.
      "American Electric Power (AEP) owns or co-owns the
      power lines with FirstEnergy Corp., which is at the center
      of a U.S.-Canada blackout investigation. The company
      released the information with a timeline but didn't offer
      any conclusions about the cause of the failure."
      "The region where investigators suspect the eight-
      state blackout began Aug. 14 had become a black hole,
      sucking electricity from generators and threatening to
      burn transmission lines because of the overload, power
      company officials said. Many lines automatically shut
      down to prevent burnout as the blackout spread."
      "At some point, the power transmission systems in
      northern and southern Ohio separated from each other,
      causing electricity meant to move through FirstEnergy's
      system to reverse itself and flow over AEP's system
      through Indiana and into Michigan, then back to
      FirstEnergy in Ohio, power company officials say."
      "'Something happened in the time leading up to the
      blackout to the north of us,' AEP spokesman Pat Henlepp
      said. 'Suddenly the electrons destined for Columbus or
      Cincinnati or somewhere turned tail and headed north
      (towards Lake Erie--J.T.).'"
      "The power failure affected 50 million people in
      eight states and Canada. It shut down more than 100 power
      plants and knocked Cleveland's water supply off line."
      Curiously, strange objects were seen in the skies of
      northern Ohio before and during the blackout.
      According to Filer's Files, "George Ritter, who
      fought in Vietnam with the 5th Special Forces, videotaped
      UFOs on (Friday) August 15 (2003), the second day of the
      blackout. He videotaped a series of photos of large lake-
      freighter-size (1,000 feet or 300 meters long--J.T.)
      cylinders flying over his home" in Fostoria, Ohio
      (population 13,931), 30 miles (50 kilometers) from Lake
      Erie."
      "The video was shot on VHS tape at between 10,000 and

      15,000 frames per minute. The speed is fast enough to
      stop and insect or bird. These craft are moving at
      thousands of miles per hour."
      In addition, eyewitness Daniel Wilson wrote, "I
      recently read in UFO Roundup about green helicopters being
      seen in Massachusetts before a power outage in Attleboro,
      Mass. on (Wednesday) August 13, 2003. This shook me up a
      bit, because on (Tuesday) August 5, 2003, a low-flying,
      very loud, green helicopter circled twice over my house in
      Painesville, Ohio (population 17,503)."
      "I was able to see the copter on the second pass as I

      ran outside to see what was going on. Hospital and bank
      helicopters fly over my house almost every day, but this
      green helicopter was not one of those. It was at about
      200 feet (60 meters) in altitude."
      "I watched it fly off to the south, and the sound
      went away. About a minute later, I heard the sound again
      as if the helicopter was coming again. Painesville is
      also 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of Cleveland, and also
      five miles (8 kilometers) from the Perry nuclear power
      plant. (One of the first to shut down Aug. 14--J.T.)
      Yes, we did have a blackout here on August 14th."
      Painesville is on Route 20, approximately 25 miles
      (40 kilometers) west of Ashtabula, a port on Lake Erie and
      the site of many UFO events in recent years. (See the
      Minneapolis, Minn. Star-Tribune for August 23, 2003,
      "Before failure, Ohio lines carried heavy power load,"
      page A8. Also Filer's Files for August 20, 2003 and UFO
      Roundup for August 20, 2003, )

      CHUPACABRAS RUN WILD
      THROUGHOUT CHILE

      "A strange animal left a trail of blood and death at
      the Los Lagos commune of the Quinchilca sector" in Chile.
      "Fear gripped a humble peasant woman after she
      learned of the strange death of 50 hens and a pig at the
      claws of a mysterious beast which few hesitate to identify
      as the Chupacabra."
      "The hideous scene of bloodletting was discovered
      early in the morning" of Monday, August 18, 2003 "by Edith
      Mora, owner of the Los Colihues farm, located 4 kilometers
      (3 miles) from Los Lagos," just east of Valdivia in
      southern Chile.
      "The strong winds and rain felt early Monday morning
      kept folks from discovering the sinister fact, which took
      the lives of 50 hens and 9 geese through strange
      perforations on their necks, as well as the death of a
      large pig, who presented extensive and deep injuries on
      both sides and its head."
      "The violence of the attack was made manifest by the
      numerous scratches on the stall doors, one of which was
      completely destroyed, or all of the numerous prints,
      recalling those of a puma (cougar or mountain lion in the
      USA--J.T.) and which were evident all over the henhouse."
      "Oddly enough, the three watchdogs on the premises
      never noticed the strange animal's presence, and it is
      assumed that they did not hesitate to hide in order to
      avoid the same fate as the other victims."
      "'All of my birds are dead and scattered, and the
      henhouse door was shredded to ribbons. I was sad to see
      my little animals dead,' said the sorrowful woman, who is
      even contemplating the sale of the property and (then)
      moving far away. 'Some say it was a lion, although others
      have not dismissed the fact that it could have been the
      Chupacabra. Whatever it is, my birds are dead, and
      there's nothing to be done.'"
      "'Damn you, Chupacabra, you killed all of my hens!'
      were the resigned and angry words of Ana Luisa Morales
      Inostroza when she discovered at 7 a.m. yesterday (Monday,
      August 18, 2003) the macabre spectacle, as she went, as is
      her custom, to feed her farm animals."
      "Seven chickens in one of her two henhouses were
      dead, scattered all over the dirt floor. Another small
      bird was agonizing. The dead birds has lost most of their
      plumage and presented 2-centimeter (0.8-inch) puncture
      marks on their necks. The dry flesh of the animals'
      interiors could be seen through the puncture, as though a
      strange object had been introduced into the dead poultry's
      bodies to draw their blood."
      The attack took place at Sra. Morales's home on the
      Calle Los Castanos (street) in Las Cruces, and the owner
      "reported the event to the Carabineros (Chilean national
      police--J.T.) barracks at Las Cruces, noting that the
      Chupacabra was responsible."
      "Two dogs guard the house of Ana Luisa Morales, and
      on an adjacent property, two mastiffs reinforce the
      sector's safety."
      "'These birds have no blood. You can see how pale
      they are. There's no doubt that it was the Chupacabra,
      whom they say was in Santiago but has appeared in Las
      Cruces,' she said, 'I believe that it was the Chupacabra
      that came in at four in the morning, because at that time
      everyone is asleep, even the animals.'"
      "There was a blackout that night. It was on
      Wednesday (August 13, 2003), and the labor union had
      called for a national workers' strike. But all was calm
      in Poblacion Idahue. Suddenly, there was a noise.
      Someone was poking around the house of Samuel Bustos."
      Bustos, "the announcer for Radio El Carbon, looked
      out his rear door. His 10-year-old son," Samuel Antonio
      Bustos, "shined a flashlight. They took some steps into
      the backyard and then found a white duck, which was
      frightened by his presence. Bustos's wife, Alicia, raised
      six of these animals."
      "Maluco, the neighbors' dog, was excited and barked
      ceaselessly. Samuel and his son went into the house and
      fell asleep. But at three in the morning, there was
      another commotion. There was no doubt that a prowler
      lurked outside. Curiously, the dogs did not make any
      noise."
      "'At around 11 in the morning, I went out to feed
      them, and I found them dead,' recalls little Samuel
      Antonio. The boy saw three of them. Another two were in
      a hard-to-reach corner. A third (duck) was agonizing in
      the bushes along Idahue Creek, which runs through the
      backyard of the Bustos house."
      "'They had two small perforations marked on their
      throats. I'm sure that this was not the work of a dog,
      much less that of a human,' said Bustos."
      "Prints resembling those of a dog were found in the
      mud, but it is clearly evident that these (prints) are
      larger."
      "Samuel Bustos's neighbor approached him to say that
      early last Tuesday (August 12, 2003) she found four of her
      ducks dead. The birds showed the same wounds."
      "Esteban Hidalgo, (another) one of Bustos's
      neighbors, claims having seen from his window a black
      creature, one meter (3 feet, 3 inches) tall, crouching
      among the plants."
      "Mystery increased when Jorge Bello, who lives in
      front of the Frederico Schwager Stadium in Coronel, phoned
      Bustos Friday afternoon to tell him that he and his wife
      had seen a strange 'bird' flying over their house. It
      looked like a bat but was much larger."
      "No one claims it's the Chupacabra, but no one
      dismisses the possibility, either." (See the Chilean
      newspapers Diario Austral de Valdivia for August 19, 2003,
      "Mysterious beast slays 50 hens, 9 geese, 1 pig;" El Lider
      de San Antonio for August 19, 2003, "Chupacabra attack
      reported;" and Cronica for August 18, 2003, "Chupacabra
      bares its fangs yet again." Muchas gracias a Scott
      Corrales, Gloria Coluchi y Liliana Nunez para estos
      articulos de diario.)

      CHUPACABRA CONTINUES
      ITS RAMPAGE IN NICARAGUA

      "Residents of the rural communities of El Barro,
      Tolapa and Las Marias," in the department (state) of Leon
      in northern Nicaragua "are frightened of being stalked by
      the alleged Chupacabra, to whom they ascribe the deaths of
      55 goats and sheep, causing financial losses to local
      farmers."
      "'Goats and sheep are harmless animals that are
      turning up dead in the pens and groves of private
      properties. Their bodies do not exhibit any signs of
      struggle, except for two deep holes in the neck area and
      in the legs, where the so-called Chupacabra bites to stun
      its victim and later sucks their blood,' explained Jorge
      Luis Talavera, a rancher from Tolapa."
      "He explained that, as a rule, the Chupacabra attacks

      female animals and helpless newborns under cover of
      darkness. He added that he has lost 22 animals to the
      unnatural creature in less than eight days."
      "Faced with the predations of the Chupacabra, local
      peasants have taken steps to adequately fence their animal
      pens."
      "Sra. Felix Albertina Brenes, a peasant from El
      Barro, stated that two months ago, at midnight, the
      Chupacabra visited her property for the first time. 'It
      killed five of the seven sheep I had in the yard. We only
      heard the racket and the running of the frightened sheep--
      they were trying to defend themselves, banging into the
      wire fence and the house walls.'"
      "Although they could hear the commotion, they were
      too scared to go out at that time of night, and, at
      sunrise, found five of the seven sheep 'dead and
      completely bloodless, with holes in their throats,'
      mourned the humble peasant woman."
      "There are more persons affected by the Chupacabra in

      Malpaisillo, such as Sra. Pilar Ocan, who lost six
      Peliguey sheep. Jeronimo Blano lost eight, and Maria
      Carcamo lost 12." (See the Nicaraguan newspaper La Prensa
      for August 17, 2003, "Terrified of the Chupacabras."
      Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto
      articulo de diario.)

      CHILEAN PHOTOGRAPHER
      CATCHES A UFO ON FILM

      "Photographer Patricio Lara was startled a few days
      ago when he developed photos taken late last month
      (Monday, July 31, 2003) in Paricanota" in northern Chile
      "in order to have photos for his Web site."
      "Beyond the spectacular landscape, nothing unusual
      attracted his attention during his trip through the zone.
      But a few days later, after his return to Santiago de
      Chile, he began to look at the images obtained and
      realized that a strange object in the sky had been
      undetected."
      "The photo in question was taken in the vicinity of
      Copaquilla, looking east over the canyon on July 31 at
      1:30 p.m."
      "'We were taken to a lookout called Mallku, from
      which Chapiquina can be seen in the distance. I found
      that the landscape was beautiful, so I started taking
      pictures, panning with a Nikon camera, using an 80-200
      millimeter lens and Fuji 100 ASA film,' he said."
      "According to his testimony, neither he nor the
      people with him saw anything unusual at the time 'because
      I would have otherwise taken more photos, since I was
      carrying a 500 millimeter telephoto lens, which could have
      been used for greater detail. I only just found out about
      the object when I developed the roll.'"
      Lara checked the lens, the slide and other exposures
      to insure that the image was not caused "by a defect in
      the film. He found no abnormalities."
      "The image shows the pampa, the Andean cordillera and

      a clear sky, and, toward the upper left, a rhomboidal
      opaque form tilted to the left. Says the photographer,
      'Calculating the distance of the object and the
      proportions, it must have been 10 meters (33 feet) in
      diameter." (See the Chilean newspaper La Estrella de
      Arica for August 21, 2003, "UFO over Copaquilla?" Muchas
      gracias a Scott Corrales y Gloria Coluchi para esto
      articulo de diario.)
      (Editor's Comment: Maybe this is the UFO that's dropping
      off those Chupacabras all over Chile.)

      UFOs APPEAR AGAIN
      IN VENEZUELA

      On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 8:35 p.m., "Sra. Enza

      Colucci, who was returning from Los Samanes to her home in
      Santa Monica," a suburb of Caracas, the capital of
      Venezuela, "was followed by an enormous round object,
      surrounded by blinking blue lights."
      "Sra. Colucci was very excited, and her chauffeur,
      Alberto Amoran, phoned CEINPLA," a Venezuelan UFO research
      group, "to file a report and make their experience known.
      They regret not having had a camera with them."
      "After midnight on Wednesday," August 20, 2003,
      "while groups opposing the government of President Hugo
      Chavez reflected their support of a possible recall in the
      streets of Caracas, three persons were able to witness the
      displacement of a luminous object flying over the Cerro El
      Avila (mountain)."
      "The event was reported at 12:30 a.m. when the three
      youths were headed to their home in the barrio El Pedregal
      (neighborhood) of La Castellana after watching the
      fireworks and the political demonstration, which had ended
      shortly before their sighting."
      "According to one of the witnesses, who preferred
      anonymity to avoid ridicule, the object constantly changed
      colors and remained suspended in the air for a few seconds
      before hiding behind the mountain after a powerful zigzag
      motion." (See Mundo Misterioso for August 21, 2003,
      "Luminous object seen over El Avila, Caracas." Muchas
      gracias a Scott Corrales, Roger Ivan Lopez y Martha
      Rosenthal para esto articulo de diario.)

      UFO SIGHTED BY TEEN IN
      SOUTHWESTERN TURKEY

      On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 11:30 p.m.,
      eyewitness Arzum, 18, "was listening to my Walkman tape on
      my balcony" in Denizli, a city in southwestern Turkey
      about 310 kilometers (186 miles) from Ankara, the national
      capital, when he spotted a UFO.
      Arzum reported, "I was gazing at the sky. All of a
      sudden, an ellipse-shaped object that was bigger than a
      star and very bright passed me by. I got so excited I
      stood up at once. My relatives noticed my sudden ascent."
      "The object was huge. It could not be compared to
      the stars. It was the size of a 50 Turkish lira coin (The
      same as a quarter or a 25-cent USA coin--J.T.) But it
      looked like an oval or ellipse shape. It sped by on a
      diagonal line very quickly. It did not leave any physical
      marks behind. It was too high for me to smell, hear or
      feel any heat waves. I have never seen anything like
      this. The object I have seen was not an asteroid, meteor,
      star, comet or a planet. That I am sure of." (Email Form
      Report)

      MORE UFOs APPEAR OVER
      NORTH BAY, ONTARIO

      On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 10:30 p.m., Murray
      Whitman reported, "I had just let my dogs out for their
      nightly duty and, while I was waiting for them, I was
      looking at the sky, watching for satellites" In North Bay,
      Ontario, Canada (population 54,332), located 160 miles
      (266 kilometers) north of Toronto, "when I saw this
      triangular shape very high in the sky, travelling south to
      north at a very fast rate of speed."
      "A second later, a second object of the same shape
      and size came up behind the first one, and they seemed to
      fly in formation toward the west. There was no sound, and
      the objects were very high in the sky. The sighting took
      place in about five or six seconds. Then they were out of
      sight."
      "Being a pilot myself, I know by the speed they were
      not any aircraft that I'm aware of, and the speed had to
      be thousands of miles per hour, as the distance they
      covered in that short time made even satellites--which
      travel at about 14,000 miles per hour--seem extremely
      slow."
      "Shapes were triangular, and the color was a reddish
      and orange mix" with "an estimated speed of 50,000 to
      60,000 miles per hour (65,000 to 100,000 kilometers per
      hour--J.T.)." (Many thanks to Brian Vike for this
      report.)

      UFO FLOTILLA SPOTTED IN
      FORT McMURRAY, ALBERTA

      On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 1:20 a.m., Aaron
      Heibert reported, "While outside on the deck, chatting
      with my wife" in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
      (population 34,706) "I happened to look up and noticed a
      small, reddish glaring light, non-blinking, flying
      northwest at a very high altitude and at a speed at least
      four times faster than commercial airliners."
      "I thought it may have been test runs from Cold Lake
      (Canadian Forces) airforce (CFB) base outside of Edmonton,
      until I counted 11 more of these objects heading in the
      same direction, not too far behind one another. None were
      blinking, just solid red and moving very fast."
      "After I counted eleven, I was stumped and heading
      back into the house and decided to look up once more and
      noticed a 12th object come from the same direction
      (southwest), double the speed of the other 11. Then came
      to a stop slowly for at least 30 seconds. Then it
      accelerated and left in the same direction (northwest) as
      the rest."
      The UFOs had "a red glow, almost like aircraft lights

      but a bit brighter. Altitude was at least 25,000 feet
      (7,500 meters) as the cloud ceiling that evening was
      25,000 feet, and there were few clouds with lots of breaks
      (open sky--J.T.) They travelled in single file,
      approximately 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) between the first
      three. The fourth followed about 10 seconds after the
      third., followed by the fifth through eighth objects.
      Objects 9 through 12 were uniform in speed and distance,
      just like the first three." (Many thanks to Brian Vike
      for this report.)

      PHANTOM PANTHER ELUDES
      HUNTERS IN HAWAII

      "The big cat expert from the Mainland (USA) summed up

      his final press conference on Maui," an island in Hawaii,
      "Wednesday night (August 13, 2003) with new details like
      long scratch marks on a tree, a sample of fur from a
      branch and another report of a mysterious animal that
      bounded into the back of a pickup (truck) only to
      disappear just as fast."
      Since December 2002, the lower Olinda area on Maui
      has been plagued by a mysterious panther, said by some to
      resemble a leopard or a jaguar. However, big cats are not
      native to the Hawaiian islands, and how the creature got
      to Maui is a continuing mystery.
      "But despite infrared cameras set up to snap its
      picture and audiotapes of jaguar calls broadcast across a
      gulch, the big cat of lower Olinda remained as slippery as
      Bigfoot."
      "Even though efforts failed to catch the jungle cat
      during his five-day trip to Maui, Arizona animal
      specialist Bill Van Pelt was satisfied that the effort was
      well worth it. So are state officials that said they
      learned plenty from Van Pelt and will put his
      recommendations into action."
      "'He's added his expert opinion that this isn't a
      ghost wandering around Olinda,' said Paul Cenry, wildlife
      program manager of the state Department of Land and
      Natural Resources. 'We'll go ahead and try to capture the
      animal and capture it alive. We'll initiate the capture
      plan. We'll continue to do a lot of what we've been
      doing.'"
      "Cenry, Van Pelt and others involved in the search
      met with 40 Olinda residents and a pack of reporters for
      about 90 minutes in the cafeteria of Seabury Hall," at a
      local junior college, "where sightings of the big cat have
      occurred on campus.'"
      "When Van Pelt left the island later on in the day,
      he was a true believer that the big cat was no hoax. He
      said the evidence that 'swung him over' was photographs of
      a deer kill that occurred last month (July 2003)."
      "'The signs of the kill were classic predation signs
      of a big cat,' he said, noting the planting of hairs,
      biting into the carcass to get 'the choicest pieces of
      meat' and leaving claw marks on the body in addition to
      eating its (the deer's) tongue."
      "Van Pelt thinks the animal could be a leopard,
      jaguar or mountain lion."
      "While the cat has been seen only in glimpses or
      occasionally heard shrieking, needed clues have been slow
      to come in, but they're slowly adding up."
      "During a sweep of a gulch above Seabury Hall Tuesday

      (August 12, 2003), Van Pelt and the wildlife biologists
      noted 8-inch (20-centimeter) scratch marks gouged nearly
      10 feet (3 meters) high onto a guava tree. On closer
      inspection, they found about seven hair strands that could
      be from the animal's fur. Van Pelt said he will take the
      sample back to Arizona to be tested at the university
      along with a clump (of fur) found two months ago." (See
      the Maui Weekly News for August 16, 2003, "Big cat expert
      ends trip with clues but no trophy." Many thanks to
      Robert Fischer for this newspaper article.)

      PHANTOM PANTHER KILLS A
      RAM IN NORTHERN IRELAND

      Equally elusive is the phantom panther (alien big cat

      in UK--J.T.) prowling the north coast of Northern Ireland.
      "A County Antrim shepherd, whose ram is thought to
      have been killed by a big cat, says he fears for the
      safety of children in the area."
      "Richard Calvin found the dead 70-kilogram pedigree
      ram at his farm on Thursday," August 21, 2003. "It had
      major injuries and bite marks to its sides."
      "'My biggest worry would be that I have nephews and
      nieces coming to the farm to see the stock, and they go up
      the fields on their own,' said Mr. Calvin, 'If they go for
      a walk and come across something that is capable, no
      matter what it is, of doing the damage that was done to
      the ram...well, it doesn't bear thinking about.'"
      "Last week, an animal, thought to be a wild cat, was
      spotted on the north coast, with several reports of
      sightings in the Portballintrae, Portrush and Bushmills
      area. People have been warned not to approach such an
      animal and to report any sightings to the police or the
      USPCA."
      "And earlier this week, police and USPCA officers
      carried out searches in woods outside Cookston after
      reports that the animal killed and partly ate a calf in
      the area."
      "On Tuesday," August 19, 2003, "USPCA chief executive

      Stephen Philpott said he believed the animal might be a
      puma or lynx."
      "'People are told that these are companion animals,
      that they are exotic pets,' he said, 'They are not. They
      are wild creatures, and they will behave like this
      whenever they reach a certain age. These animals are
      being released in the countryside by irresponsible people
      who have bought them and can't cope with them. They take
      them into heavily-wooded areas and release them. My own
      hunch is that it is either a puma or a lynx.'" (See BBC
      News for August 21, 2003. Many thanks to Robert Fischer
      for this report.)

      CROP CIRCLES APPEAR
      FAR AND WIDE IN CANADA

      Last week crop circles appeared quite suddenly in
      three of Canada's provinces.
      A second crop circle appeared in Cranbrook, Ontario,
      "south of the first formation and reportedly more
      complex."
      In Agassiz, British Columbia, about 100 kilometers
      (60 miles) east of Vancouver, "the formation consisted of
      a circle with a short path and two smaller rectangles next
      to it in cattle corn." The Agassiz formation "was not too
      far from the location of two formations in cattle corn at
      Mission, B.C. in 2002."
      On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, "a third formation
      appeared in Cranbrook, Ont. The farmer wanted no
      publicity and the field is already harvested."
      In Wadena, Saskatchewan (population 1,477), a town on

      Provincial Highway 5 about 90 miles (144 kilometers) east
      of Saskatoon, there appeared "four circles in barley.
      Plants lightly pressed to ground. Expulsion cavities in
      stalk nodes."
      A "single circle" appeared in Midale, Sask.
      (population 572), a town on Provincial Highways 39 and
      361, about 40 miles (64 kilometers) north of Canada's
      border with the USA.
      (Editor's Note: Midale was the site of elaborate crop
      circles in 2001 and 2002.)
      In Tisdale, Sask., the first formation consisted of
      "four circles in a line, from smallest to largest. An
      outer ring connects the smallest and largest together.
      The largest circle has a standing crescent within it."
      On Saturday, August 23, 2003, a second formation
      appeared in Tisdale, but it was rapidly combined by the
      farmer.
      Finally, in Scott, Sask., a farmer discovered "two
      large circles in wheat. Near the location of the Revenue,
      Sask. formation" discovered two weeks ago. (Many thanks
      to Paul Anderson of Canadian Crop Circles Research
      Foundation for these news reports.)

      From the UFO Files...

      2002: INDIA'S MYSTERIOUS
      PREHISTORIC TEMPLE

      India's southern state of Tamil Nadu is home to
      several ancient temples, of which the most mysterious is
      the Ranganatha temple.
      "The Ranganatha temple...is the largest temple
      complex in India. It is situated on a large island in the
      middle of the Kaveri River. The central temple building
      is surounded by seven external boundary walls. According
      to some, the seven boundary walls represent the seven
      material coverings of the eternal self, the atma (Hindi
      for soul--J.T.). And the path a pilgrim takes through the
      gates of the seven walls therefore represents a
      progressive process of spiritual realization."
      How old is the Ranganatha temple? Hindus believe
      that it is very old indeed. The Chaltanya Charitamitra, a
      Sixteenth Century biography of the avatara Chaltanya
      Mahaprabhu, states, "It is said that in the year 289 of
      the Age of Kali, the Alvar (Hindi for saint--J.T.) of the
      name Tondaradippadi was born...He prepared the third
      boundary wall of the Ranganatha temple."
      "According to the Vedic cosmological calendar, time
      proceeds in cycles or ages called yugas. There are four
      yugas in each cycle: a Satya Yuga, a Dvapara Yuga, a Treta
      Yuga and a Kali Yuga. A cycle of four yugas lasts
      4,320,000 years," which by some strange coincidence is
      exactly how long it takes our Milky Way galaxy to complete
      one revolution.
      "The Kali Yuga began 5,105 years ago, in the year
      3,102 B.C., according to our Western calendar. So year
      289 of the Kali Yuga corresponds to the Western year 2,813
      B.C. This means that the South India Alvar Tondaradippadi
      was born 4,816 years ago. If he built the third boundary
      wall of the Ranganatha temple during his lifetime, that
      means that this Vedic temple has existed for at least five
      thousand years."
      "This contradicts the standard Western account of the

      antiquity of Vedic culture in India. According to the
      standard Western account, the Vedic culture goes back no
      further than 3,500 years in India."
      In a recent magazine article, maverick archaeologist
      Michael A. Cremo stated, "The age of the Ranganatha temple
      could go back much further than five thousand years. The
      main deity worshipped in the Ranganatha temple was a
      reclining form of Vishnu."
      (Editor's Note: Similar to the "reclining" rain-god
      Tlaloc, who was worshipped by the Toltecs of ancient
      Mexico.)
      "During the time of the avatara Rama, the deity was
      taken by vimana (the UFO or flying machine of the Hindu
      Puranas--J.T.) for the purpose of transporting it to the
      island kingdom of Lanka in the south. But along the way,
      the vimana landed in South India. According to the
      conditions of transport, if the deity touched ground
      before its final destination, it would remain there and
      would go no further. So the deity remained in the place
      where it landed, and a local king built a temple to
      accomodate the deity."
      "How long ago was that temple built?" Cremo wrote,
      "The construction of the temple occurred during the time
      of the avatar Rama, who lived toward the beginning of the
      Treta Yuga. The Treta Yuga of the current cycle began
      about 2,155,000 years ago and ended about 840,000 years
      ago. That would mean the temple was constructed about two
      million years ago."
      However, some Hindu pandits claim that "Rama appeared

      in the Treta Yuga of the fourth yuga cycle before the
      present one. If that is true, then the temple may have
      been constructed almost 20 million years ago."
      "That original temple, according to traditional
      sources, was later lost and covered by sand and jungle.
      In more recent times, over five thousand years ago, a
      local king uncovered the deity and began construction of
      the current temple."
      "On the roof of the central temple building, just
      above the place where the deity (Vishnu) rests inside,
      there is a gold-covered cupola. This cupola is called in
      Sanskrit vimana, perhaps a reference to the aircraft by
      which the deity was transported to its present location.
      And the third boundary wall around the central temple
      building housing the deity was constructed by
      Tondaradippadi, who was born in 2,813 B.C."
      Is there any way to determine the exact age of the
      Ranganatha temple? Cremo thinks there is. He and some
      Indian archaeologists have petitioned the national
      government in New Delhi for permits to do some
      archaeological work at the temple in December 2003.
      "The idea will be to see if the present temple is
      built upon older foundations," Cremo wrote, "Excavations
      might also reveal Vedic artifacts connected in strata five
      thousand years old or older. It may also be possible that
      part of the current structure is quite old. If such parts
      can be identified, there are also possibilities for dating
      them. For example, the mortar between the stones could
      contain organic materials that could be dated by the
      radiocarbon (Carbon-14) method" or by amino acid testing.
      (See Atlantis Rising No. 40 for July/August 2003, "The
      Forbidden Archaeologist" by Michael A. Cremo, pages 18, 20
      and 21.)

      That's it for this week. Join us next time for more
      UFO, Fortean and paranormal news from around the planet
      Earth, brought to you by "the paper that goes home--UFO
      Roundup." See you in seven days.

      UFO ROUNDUP: Copyright 2003 by Masinaigan Productions, all
      rights reserved. Readers may post news items from UFO
      Roundup on their Web sites or in news groups provided that
      they credit the newsletter and its editor by name and list
      the date of issue in which the item first appeared.

      or use the Sighting Report Form at:

      http://www.ufoinfo.com/forms/form_sighting.htm

      UFOINFO: http://www.ufoinfo.com

      Official Archives for UFO Roundup, AUFORN Australian
      UFO Reports and Experiences, UFO + PSI Magazine
      plus archives of Humanoid Sighting Reports (Albert
      Rosales), Filer's Files, Oz Files, UFO News UK.