Universe Today #634 - July 7, 2003

  • Universe Today - Daily Edition (Text)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2003
      the
      U N I V E R S E
      T O D A Y

      Space Exploration News From Around the Internet
      Updated Every Weekday.

      http://www.universetoday.com
      info@...

      An HTML version including pictures is available at:
      http://www.universetoday.com

      A complete archive of every issue of Universe Today is available here:
      http://www.universetoday.com/html/archive/

      For information on unsubscribing or changing your email address, check the bottom of this newsletter.

      **************************************

      -- UNIVERSE TODAY STORY SUMMARY --

      * Astronomy Magazine, August 2003 On sale now
      * Mobile Edition of Universe Today
      * Next Space Tourist Selected
      * Sheets of Debris from a Supernova Explosion
      * Another Delay for Opportunity

      ASTRONOMY MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2003 ON SALE NOW
      -------------------------
      Jul 6, 2003 - Here's a breakdown of the stories in the latest issue of Astronomy Magazine. If you read the magazine, but always pick it up at the newsstands, now's the time to get a subscription (and if you order a subscription, it benefits Universe Today).

      Upcoming stories:

      Martian Chronicle - What's been discovered on Mars over 4 centuries of exploration.
      What is Mars trying to hide? - Scientists are working on uncovering the Red Planet's secrets.
      Blazing a new path - The story of the Mars Exploration Rovers.
      Lupus and Norma - Images of this region of the sky.
      Get ready for Mars - How to enjoy Mars' closest approach this summer.
      Filtering the sky - Using filters to get the most out of your astronomy.
      Imaging the Red Planet - Take better pictures of Mars with your telescope.

      Click here to order a 1 year subscription for $39.95 and save 32% off the newsstand price..
      http://www.qksrv.net/image-929448-10285743

      MOBILE EDITION OF UNIVERSE TODAY
      -------------------------
      Jul 6, 2003 - I've had a few requests for this, so I'm taking a stab at creating a mobile version of Universe Today. I always like to start this kind of thing small and build from there, so I've created a special page with a slimmed-down version of the homepage, with the first 5 stories.

      But I need your help. If you have a mobile device, like a Blackberry, Palm Pilot, web-enabled phone, etc, can you do me a favour and take a look at the page? Here's a link to it. This page will stay up to date with the home page. My page should look good, but the external links to other sites won't fit so well.
      http://www.universetoday.com/mobile/

      My next question is to figure out a way to send this out to people, so I'm looking for some volunteers with various portable devices to let me experiment with various ways of delivering this to you. I was thinking of just adding another newsletter in a wireless format. Obviously this'll be totally free as well.

      If you want to take part, just drop me an email and I'll coordinate with you.

      Thanks!

      Fraser Cain
      Publisher

      Universe Today

      NEXT SPACE TOURIST SELECTED
      -------------------------
      Jul 6, 2003 - US-based Space Adventures has selected the next tourist who will fly into space on board a Russian Soyuz rocket to visit the International Space Station. Space Adventures won't reveal the identity of the tourist right now, but he or she is expected to blast off some time in 2004 or 2005. The tourist will next be required to sign a contract with the Russian space agency and pay the $20 million fee. If successful, he or she will become the third space tourist after Dennis Tito and Mark Shuttleworth.

      http://www.spacedaily.com/2003/030704211722.f7aw7rpt.html

      SHEETS OF DEBRIS FROM A SUPERNOVA EXPLOSION
      -------------------------
      Jul 6, 2003 - The most recent image taken by the Hubble Space Telescope shows the delicate looking remnants from a supernova explosion in our nearest galaxy. The remnant, called LMC N 49, is located in the Large Magellanic Cloud, and the supernova would have been visible several thousand years ago. At the core of the object is a rapidly-spinning neutron star which has a magnetic field a quadrillion times stronger than the Earth's field; objects like this are called magnetars.

      http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/2003/20/

      ANOTHER DELAY FOR OPPORTUNITY
      Jul 6, 2003 - NASA has pushed back the launch of its second Mars Exploration rover, "Opportunity", again; this time because of a battery failure on the Boeing Delta II booster. The launch has now been set for Tuesday, July 8 at 0235 GMT (10:35 pm EDT Monday). Even this launch date is at risk, though, as there's a 30% chance of weather problems. It looks like the previous problem with the booster's cork insulation has been resolved; although, engineers will be performing further tests to ensure that everything's fine. The spacecraft must launch before July 15 in order to reach Mars.

      http://www-pao.ksc.nasa.gov/kscpao/release/2003/56-03.htm

      Additional headlines from Universe Today
      http://www.universetoday.com/am/exec/search.cgi?start=5&perpage=8&template=index/default.html

      http://www.universetoday.com/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=u&l=ut%2dtext&e=ufonet@yahoogroups.com&p=7780

      Click this link, or copy and paste the address into your browser.

      For AOL users, <a href = "http://www.universetoday.com/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=u&l=ut%2dtext&e=ufonet@yahoogroups.com&p=7780">Click here</a>.

      To switch between the text and HTML editions of the newsletter, click here:
      http://www.universetoday.com/mojo/mojo.cgi