Fwd = Jonathan's Space Report, No. 503

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      Originally from: owner-jsr@...
      Original Subject: Jonathan's Space Report, No. 503
      Original Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:58:45 -0400 (EDT)

      Jonathan's Space Report
      No. 503 2003 Jun 30, Cambridge, MA

      Shuttle and Station

      The Expedition 7 crew, Yuriy Malenchenko and Edward Lu, remain on board
      the Space Station. The ferry ship Soyuz TMA-2 (spacecraft 7K-STM 212)
      and two cargo ships, Progress M-47 (spacecraft 7K-TGM 247) and Progress
      M1-10 (spacecraft 7K-TGM 259) are docked to the Station.

      Recent Launches

      Russia has launched an 8K78M Molniya-M rocket from the northern Plesetsk
      spaceport carrying a Russian government Molniya-3 communications
      satellite. The Molniya-M rocket is just a Soyuz-U with an extra fourth
      state. The satellite entered a 211 x 559 km x 62.8 deg parking orbit,
      and then the Blok ML upper stage fired to put it in a 604 x 40578 km x
      62.7 deg drift orbit with a 734 minute period; the orbit will later be
      adjusted to 717.8 minutes (semi-synchronous) with an onboard engine. By
      Jun 28 it was in a 719.1 minute, 631 x 39789 km x 62.9 deg orbit. The
      special orbital inclination of i = 63 degrees, ( sin i ) squared =
      4/5, minimizes the rotation of the orbit in its plane due to the
      oblateness of the Earth, keeping the apogee in the northern hemisphere.

      Russian sources have not released the serial number of the payload, but
      it may possibly be Molniya-3 No. 65. US sources list it as Molniya 3-53
      because it is the 53rd satellite to be given the Molniya-3 name, but the
      3-53 designation is not used in official Russian sources. The first
      Molniya-3 was Molniya-3 No. 11 launched in Nov 1974; satellite series
      built by NPO Prikladnoi Mekhaniki always start with No. 11 - perhaps
      Nos. 1-10 are reserved for ground test articles or something. Subsequent
      satellites were launched somewhat out of production order and No. 14 was
      never launched, so we can't really guess the correct designation. 54
      Molniya-3 satellites and one Molniya-3K have now been launched,
      including two satellites which were stranded in parking orbit and given
      Kosmos designations.

      Space Command has redesignated the two parts of Japan's USERS satellite
      for no very good reason: 2002-42A (27515) is now the SEM, still in orbit
      (although still listed as decayed in the NASA OIG site, new elements are
      being issued) and 2002-42H (27815) is now the REM, which landed on May
      29 (although all the elements associated with it are actually orbital
      data for the SEM, and are for dates in early June after the REM landed).
      I think I'm not going to update my own catalog just yet in case they
      switch back again.

      Orbimage's Orbview-3 1-meter-resolution commercial imaging satellite was
      launched on Jun 26 by Orbital Sciences. The L-1011 carrier plane took
      off from Vandenberg AFB at 1757 UTC and dropped the Pegasus XL rocket at
      1853 UTC, probably over the standard Pacific drop zone at 36.0N 123.0W.
      It reached a 366 x 430 km x 97.3 deg orbit at 1901 UTC deploying
      Orbview-3, which uses an Orbital Leostar bus and has a launch mass of
      304 kg (probably including of order 50 kg of hydrazine for orbit
      raising; other sources imply that the 304 kg figure may be the bus only
      and does not include the 66 kg science instrument). This is the third
      Pegasus launch this year, following SORCE and GALEX.

      Table of Recent Launches

      Date UT Name Launch Vehicle Site Mission INTL.

      May 8 1128 GSAT-2 GSLV Sriharikota Comms
      May 9 0429 Hayabusa M-V Kagoshima Probe
      May 13 2210 Hellas Sat 2 Atlas V 401 Canaveral SLC41 Comms
      May 24 1634 Beidou CZ-3A Xichang Navigation
      Jun 2 1745 Mars Express Soyuz-FG/Fregat Baykonur LC31 Probe
      Jun 4 1923 Kosmos-2398 Kosmos-3M Plesetsk Navigation
      Jun 6 2215 AMC-9 Proton-K/Briz-M Baykonur LC200/39 Comms
      Jun 8 1034 Progress M1-10 Soyuz-U Baykonur LC1 Cargo
      Jun 10 1356 Thuraya 2 Zenit-3SL Odyssey, Pacific Phone comms
      Jun 10 1758 MER-A Spirit Delta 7925 Canaveral SLC17A Mars probe
      Jun 11 2238 BSAT-2c ) Ariane 5G Kourou ELA3 Comms
      Optus/D C1 ) Comms
      Jun 19 2000 Molniya-3 Molniya-M Plesetsk LC43/3 Comms
      Jun 26 1853 Orbview-3 Pegasus XL Vandenberg RW30/12 Imaging

      | Jonathan McDowell | phone : (617) 495-7176 |
      | Harvard-Smithsonian Center for | |

      | Astrophysics | |
      | 60 Garden St, MS6 | |
      | Cambridge MA 02138 | inter : jcm@... |