Fwd = [fort] BOOK REVIEW: Scientific Anomalies and Other Provocative Phenomena

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2003
      Originally from: fort@yahoogroups.com
      Original Subject: [fort] Digest Number 1570
      Original Date: 25 Jun 2003 14:04:39 -0000

      Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:56:23 -0700
      From: "Terry W. Colvin" <fortean1@...>
      Subject: BOOK REVIEW: Scientific Anomalies and Other Provocative Phenomena

      Obligatory URL: < http://www.science-frontiers.com >

      Science Frontiers Book Supplement, No. 146, Mar-Apr, 2003, p. 1

      Prices are in U.S. dollars. All orders must be prepaid. U.S. orders under
      $30 please add $1.50 postage. All foreign orders add $4.00 per book.
      Canadian dollars and UK pounds accepted at prevailing exchange rates.
      Checks may be made payable to either Sourcebook Project or William R. Corliss,
      except sterling cheques which must be made payable only to William R. Corliss.
      Send orders to: Sourcebook Project; P.O. Box 107; Glen Arm, MD 21057; USA.

      _Scientific Anomalies and Other Provocative Phenomena: An Annotated Outline of
      6,000 Entries_

      Compiled by William R. Corliss

      The book pictured above is my first attempt to map the universe of scientific
      anomalies in a compact format. The quotation below from page 1 details the
      book's background and objectives.

      Over the past four decades, I have amassed a collection of roughly
      50,000 articles and shorter items from the scientific literature.
      Each was selected because it seemed to challenge a paradigm of
      science or was in some way "provocative" in that it suggested all
      of the elements in Nature's grand scheme.

      Although I have already published 37 books detailing over 2,000
      scientific anomalies and "provocative" phenomena, the cataloging
      task is barely half done.

      At this midpoint of the effort, it seems worthwhile to stand back
      and look at what has been accomplished and what mysteries of the
      natural world have not yet been cataloged. Therefore, in this
      book, I spread out in print the vast scope of scientific anomalies,
      as seen in a deep, eclectic, one-person search of the literature
      of science. I include those phenomena already identified in my
      previous books and the many more that merit space in my files but
      which have not yet been fully analyzed. It should not surprise
      anyone that this Outline contains about 6,000 entries, all of
      which remain unexplained to my satisfaction or which, at the very
      least, I find very curious and engaging.

      This Outline is one person's attempt to grasp better the full scope
      of the cosmos by mapping its terra incognitae. Hopefully, it will
      be useful and stimulating to others.

      My major objectives are these:

      * The compilation of a list of scientific phenomena worth of further
      attention and research;

      * The presentation of a "first look" at the *entire* spectrum of what
      I have found anomalous, provocative, and exciting in science (It is
      a very large realm as you shall see.); and

      * The provision, via a menu-type index, of a guide to my many
      already-published Catalogs and Handbooks of anomalies and curiosities.

      As for specific content, the six disciplines already represented by Catalogs
      and/or Handbooks (Archeology, Astronomy, Biology, Geology, Geophysics, and
      Psychology) are briefly recapitulated and updated in separate chapters. The
      Biology chapter; in addition to humans, other mammals, and birds; includes
      fish, reptiles, amphibians, and arthropods. There is a separate chapter on
      Chemistry & Physics and another short one on Miscellany.

      The 6,000 entries are often expanded by interpretative annotations, examples
      in telegraphic form, and cross references.

      The book's statistics prove that it is a bargain for the great mass of
      unique material it contains.

      300 pp., large 7x10 format, 244 illustrations, only $17.95p

      Five of the 244 figures now follow [not shown].

      [Photo 1]
      [Caption] Main mechanism of the Greek "computer." Numbers indicate the
      numbers of teeth in the gears. (*Natural History*, 71:8, March 1962.) [MMTj]

      [Photo 2]
      [Caption] Pockmarks on the floor of the North Sea detected by sonar. These
      may be due to the eruptions of natural gas. (*New Scientist*, 83:90, 1979.)
      [ETB3]

      [Photo 3]
      [Caption] A possible universal relationship between the angular momenta and
      masses of astronomical objects. (*Sky & Telescope*, 64:228, 1982.) [ATB3]

      [Photo 4]
      [Caption] A pearlfish (or fierasfer) enters the anus of a sea cucumber
      tailfirst for shelter. (*English Mechanic*, 33:302, 1881.) [BFXd]

      [Photo 5]
      [Caption] Typical method of using the planchette. (*Scientific American*,
      19:17, 1860.) [PHDk]

      --
      Terry W. Colvin, Sierra Vista, Arizona (USA) < fortean1@... >
      Alternate: < fortean1@... >