Re: Fwd: [Russian UFO Crashes?]

  • uwrk
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2003
      --- In ufonet@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Anderton" <R.J.Anderton@b...>
      wrote:
      > uwrk>On some planets absence can definitely be assumed e.g. Venus,
      where
      > the temperature is broiling hot.
      >
      > Only if the tests were done properly. Can we be sure of that?

      Exteme heat like on Venus would immediately destroy any organic
      substance-trust me, no scientist thinks Venus is potentially
      habitable.

      > ---------------
      > uwrk>Nothing went wrong with the Viking missions to Mars in the
      > seventies. Soil sample tests indicated a complete absence of organic
      > material.
      >
      > And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible life,

      This appears to have been discounted or disproved.

      suggesting
      > that the 70s tests were not as good as they should have been. A
      check proved
      > to be a cock-up.
      >
      > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
      >
      > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
      >
      > But still a possibility.

      I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme cold,
      UV and lack of sustanance.

      > uwrk>How can life of any kind arise in
      > space?
      >
      > Check what Hoyle + co say for yourself if you are interested.

      Others have and obviously weren;t impressed.
      > ------------------
      > The situation as it stands is 'we do not know' as regards life
      around other
      > stars.

      True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems but it
      is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other planets in our
      solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.

      > You should not ignore some facts and select only those that you
      like;
      > ignoring Hoyle+co means you are not presenting a "full picture".

      My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.

      > By doing what you doing, you start from faulty assumptions and
      deduce a
      > faulty consequence.
      nope.

      > The method that you are using has been repeatedly used in the past
      to deduce
      > faulty dogmas.
      > e.g. long before the Wright Brothers, supposed Experts were saying
      that man
      > would never be able to fly by heavier than air machines, they based
      this
      > reasoning upon the fact that - no one had so far been able to
      perform the
      > task,

      birds fly despite being heavier than air.

      hence by their faulty logic deduced that in the future the situation
      > would be the same.
      >
      > Absence of evidence (i.e. no one able so far fly) does not prove
      there is no
      > evidence.
      >
      > In the case of the Wright Brothers, they had a hard job getting
      witnesses
      > to their flying, because the flawed Experts all said it was
      impossible, and
      > so were persuading people to ignore the event.
      >
      > The same faulty Expert opinion has been used repeatedly to assure
      people to
      > ignore evidence, because of the claim that it can't possibly be.
      > The Rule of Arthur C Clarke applies to these flawed Experts-----
      whenever an
      > Expert says it is impossible, they are usually wrong!!!
      >
      > Man will never fly, because man has never done it in the past.
      Flawed!

      > Man will never go faster than 20 mph, if a train went that fast he
      would
      > die. Flawed!!
      >
      > Stones cannot fall from the sky, it is old wives tales. Flawed!!!
      >
      > The Atom Bomb won't work. Flawed!!!!
      >
      > Our tests for life in outer space have been faulty, but ignore that
      they
      > were faulty, and point out that so far no evidence for life in
      outer space
      > has been found, and then deduce it will not then be found in the
      future by
      > other tests. Flawed again????? Some Supposed Experts never learn,
      that
      > sometimes there just isn't the information available to reach a
      conclusion
      > on a specific subject in which the real position is 'DON'T KNOW.'
      >
      > If you have proper evidence to advance from the present state of
      affairs
      > then present it, and stop trying to pretend it is otherwise.
      >
      > -Roger

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Roger Anderton
      Message 2 of 17 , May 1, 2003
        Roger> And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible life,
        uwrk> This appears to have been discounted or disproved.

        Not by everyone.

        ----------
        > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
        > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
        Roger> But still a possibility.
        uwrk>I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme cold,
        UV and lack of sustanance.
        Hoyle + co do not have your doubt.
        ------------
        > uwrk>How can life of any kind arise in
        > space?
        Roger> Check what Hoyle + co say for yourself if you are interested.
        uwrk>Others have and obviously weren;t impressed.

        If some are impressed, and some are not impressed. So what. What is your
        point?
        ----------
        uwrk>True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems
        Yes
        uwrk> but it is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other planets in
        our
        solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.

        Case not proved.
        ------------
        uwrk> My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.

        Fashion that changes, based on trying to reach conclusions from insufficient
        information.
        --------
        Roger> long before the Wright Brothers, supposed Experts were saying
        >that man would never be able to fly by heavier than air machines, they
        based
        >this reasoning upon the fact that - no one had so far been able to
        >perform the task,

        uwrk> birds fly despite being heavier than air.

        The Supposed Experts that thought man would never fly, must have overlooked
        that fact somehow. They must have been selective in what facts they would
        consider, and decided to ignore the birds and deduce from faulty premisses
        that man could never fly. It does not inspire confidence if that type of
        people always use that methodology.

        -Roger
> [...]
        > > die. Flawed!!
        > >
        > > Stones cannot fall from the sky, it is old wives tales. Flawed!!!
        > >
        > > The Atom Bomb won't work. Flawed!!!!
        > >
        > > Our tests for life in outer space have been faulty, but ignore that
        > they
        > > were faulty, and point out that so far no evidence for life in
        > outer space
        > > has been found, and then deduce it will not then be found in the
        > future by
        > > other tests. Flawed again????? Some Supposed Experts never learn,
        > that
        > > sometimes there just isn't the information available to reach a
        > conclusion
        > > on a specific subject in which the real position is 'DON'T KNOW.'
        > >
        > > If you have proper evidence to advance from the present state of
        > affairs
        > > then present it, and stop trying to pretend it is otherwise.

      • uwrk
        Message 3 of 17 , May 2, 2003
          wrote:
          > Roger> And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible
          life,
          > uwrk> This appears to have been discounted or disproved.
          >
          > Not by everyone.

          Still, it can't be taken as proof of alien life, or convincing
          evidence, given the possibility of contamination etc.

          > ----------
          > > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
          > > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
          > Roger> But still a possibility.
          > uwrk>I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme
          cold,
          > UV and lack of sustanance.
          > Hoyle + co do not have your doubt.

          The vast bulk of scientists now do AFAIK. Hoyle was many years ago,
          and his notion isn't considered credible.
          > ------------
          > > uwrk>How can life of any kind arise in
          > > space?
          > Roger> Check what Hoyle + co say for yourself if you are interested.
          > uwrk>Others have and obviously weren't impressed.
          >
          > If some are impressed, and some are not impressed. So what. What is
          your
          > point?
          Nowadays nobody in the scientific community is AFAIK.
          > ----------
          > uwrk>True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems
          > Yes
          > uwrk> but it is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other
          planets in
          > our
          > solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.
          >
          > Case not proved.

          A0 stars have main sequence lifespans of a mere 500 million years-
          a ninth of what is needed for life to evolve to intelligence, based
          on the example of a world where conditions are optimal.
          > ------------
          > uwrk> My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.
          >
          > Fashion that changes, based on trying to reach conclusions from
          insufficient
          > information.

          Insufficient? There is enough information about some worlds to
          assume, a priori, that they're lifeless. Venus is an example.

        • Roger Anderton
          Message 4 of 17 , May 2, 2003
            > Roger> And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible
            life,
            > uwrk> This appears to have been discounted or disproved.
            Roger> Not by everyone.
            uwrk> Still, it can't be taken as proof of alien life, or convincing
            evidence, given the possibility of contamination etc.
            Never said it was. I was pointing out that you had no evidence.
            ----------------------
            > > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
            > > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
            > Roger> But still a possibility.
            > uwrk>I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme
            cold,
            > UV and lack of sustanance.
            Roger> Hoyle + co do not have your doubt.
            uwrk>The vast bulk of scientists now do AFAIK. Hoyle was many years ago,
            and his notion isn't considered credible.
            Being old, does not make it wrong. And I doubt that this supposed bulk
            proved it wasn't credible, they merely liked to believe without evidence.
            ------------

            > uwrk>True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems
            > Yes
            > uwrk> but it is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other
            planets in
            > our
            > solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.
            >
            Roger> Case not proved.
            uwrk>A0 stars have main sequence lifespans of a mere 500 million years-
            a ninth of what is needed for life to evolve to intelligence, based
            on the example of a world where conditions are optimal.

            Mere guesswork.
            ---------
            > uwrk> My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.
            Roger> Fashion that changes, based on trying to reach conclusions from
            insufficient
            > information.
            uwrk>Insufficient?
            yes

            uwrk> There is enough information about some worlds to
            assume, a priori, that they're lifeless. Venus is an example.

            Not enough for Mars, for example.
            And you use again that magic word 'assume' to show you are only guessing.
            Assume/ believe/ 'think you proved something'/ 'do whatever you like'.
            What do I care about whatever you feel happy believing.
            I have no more to say, please now shut up, you have had your say.

            Bye, Roger.
            > > Roger> And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible
            > life,
            > > uwrk> This appears to have been discounted or disproved.
            > >
            > > Not by everyone.
            >
            > Still, it can't be taken as proof of alien life, or convincing
            > evidence, given the possibility of contamination etc.
            > >
            > > ----------
            > > > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
            > > > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
            > > Roger> But still a possibility.
            > > uwrk>I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme
            > cold,
            > > UV and lack of sustanance.
            > > Hoyle + co do not have your doubt.
            >
            > The vast bulk of scientists now do AFAIK. Hoyle was many years ago,
            > and his notion isn't considered credible.
            > > ------------
            > > > uwrk>How can life of any kind arise in
            > > > space?
            > > Roger> Check what Hoyle + co say for yourself if you are interested.
            > > uwrk>Others have and obviously weren't impressed.
            > >
            > > If some are impressed, and some are not impressed. So what. What is
            > your
            > > point?
            > Nowadays nobody in the scientific community is AFAIK.
            > > ----------
            > > uwrk>True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems
            > > Yes
            > > uwrk> but it is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other
            > planets in
            > > our
            > > solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.
            > >
            > > Case not proved.
            >
            > A0 stars have main sequence lifespans of a mere 500 million years-
            > a ninth of what is needed for life to evolve to intelligence, based
            > on the example of a world where conditions are optimal.
            > > ------------
            > > uwrk> My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.
            > >
            > > Fashion that changes, based on trying to reach conclusions from
            > insufficient
            > > information.
            >
            > Insufficient? There is enough information about some worlds to
            > assume, a priori, that they're lifeless. Venus is an example.
            >

            > > --------
            > > Roger> long before the Wright Brothers, supposed Experts were saying
            > > >that man would never be able to fly by heavier than air machines,
            > they
            > > based
            > > >this reasoning upon the fact that - no one had so far been able to
            > > >perform the task,
            > >
            > > uwrk> birds fly despite being heavier than air.
            > >
            > > The Supposed Experts that thought man would never fly, must have
            > overlooked
            > > that fact somehow. They must have been selective in what facts they
            > would
            > > consider, and decided to ignore the birds and deduce from faulty
            > premisses
            > > that man could never fly. It does not inspire confidence if that
            > type of

          • uwrk
            Message 5 of 17 , May 3, 2003
              wrote:

              > > Roger> And then they found a Martian meteorite indicating possible
              > life,
              > > uwrk> This appears to have been discounted or disproved.
              > Roger> Not by everyone.
              > uwrk> Still, it can't be taken as proof of alien life, or convincing
              > evidence, given the possibility of contamination etc.
              > Never said it was. I was pointing out that you had no evidence.

              The burden of proof is on those who say it is real Martian life. Of
              course there is evidence it is not e.g. evidence of contamination by
              Earthly microoganisms cited by one researcher.
              > ----------------------
              > > > Roger> Hoyle + co say that viruses come from space etc.
              > > > uwrk>Not a generally accepted view!
              > > Roger> But still a possibility.
              > > uwrk>I doubt it; it would be very difficult to withstand extreme
              > cold,
              > > UV and lack of sustanance.
              > Roger> Hoyle + co do not have your doubt.
              > uwrk>The vast bulk of scientists now do AFAIK. Hoyle was many years
              ago,
              > and his notion isn't considered credible.
              > Being old, does not make it wrong.

              The notion apears to have been supersceded in recent scientific
              discussions. For the abve reasons it apparently is considered wrong.

              And I doubt that this supposed bulk
              > proved it wasn't credible, they merely liked to believe without
              evidence.

              Again the burden of proof was on believers like Hoyle.
              > ------------
              >
              > > uwrk>True, life may have arisen on some other planetary systems
              > > Yes
              > > uwrk> but it is very unlikely to have arisen or survived on other
              > planets in
              > > our
              > > solar system or near Sirius-the A0 star is far too short lived.
              > >
              > Roger> Case not proved.
              > uwrk>A0 stars have main sequence lifespans of a mere 500 million
              years-
              > a ninth of what is needed for life to evolve to intelligence, based
              > on the example of a world where conditions are optimal.
              >
              > Mere guesswork.

              No, based on what empirical data is available.
              > ---------
              > > uwrk> My views reflect up to date scientific thinking.
              > Roger> Fashion that changes, based on trying to reach conclusions
              from
              > insufficient
              > > information.
              > uwrk>Insufficient?
              > yes
              >
              > uwrk> There is enough information about some worlds to
              > assume, a priori, that they're lifeless. Venus is an example.
              >
              > Not enough for Mars, for example.

              It may not be totally sterile but it is certainly not the abode of
              advanced indigenous life-far too inhospitable.

              > And you use again that magic word 'assume' to show you are only
              guessing.

              No, some assumptions are very well grounde in emprical data.
              > Assume/ believe/ 'think you proved something'/ 'do whatever you
              like'.
              > What do I care about whatever you feel happy believing.
              > I have no more to say,

              good!
              you have had your say.

              > Bye, Roger.

            • Roger Anderton
              Message 6 of 17 , May 3, 2003
                You bring up a new point:

                uwrk> Again the burden of proof was on believers like Hoyle.

                What nonsense you speak. Where is "It" written ?

                The Burden of Proof is on you, I do not have to prove anything.

                You appear to Believe that some things are alive and other things are not
                alive, prove it.

                My Position is "DON 'T KNOW" - as I have told you, and you appear to ignore
                at your convenience what I am saying, and instead waffle off at a tangent.
                It is YOU that BELIEVE something.

                Rather than face your BURDEN, you waffle on about the opposite to what you
                believe in.